Video: Bristol Palin says abstinence “not realistic”

posted at 9:30 am on February 17, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I’m of two minds on this clip. Bristol Palin isn’t running for office, but she had to know that doing big-media interviews would mean that she had to have an answer for some political issues surrounding her teen pregnancy. After all, for what other reason would Greta Van Susteren invite her onto her show?

GRETA: I don’t want to pry too personally, but obviously contraception is an issue here. Is that something that you were lazy about or not interested in, or do you have a philosophical or religious opposition to it, or –

BRISTOL: No, I don’t want to get into detail about that. But I think abstinence is like … I don’t know how to put it, like … the main … Everyone should be abstinent, but it’s not realistic at all.

GRETA: Why?

BRISTOL: Because — I don’t want to get into detail about it.

GRETA: [crosstalk] Just big picture, not about you –

BRISTOL: Because it’s more and more accepted.

Of course, acceptance is why many people want abstinence taught.  The entire idea is to push back against the acceptance of sexual activity among those who are ill-equipped to handle the emotional, health, and financial consequences of sexual activity.  That doesn’t mean that we don’t teach about contraception as well — it always amazes me when people consider the two mutually exclusive — but that explaining that only abstinence gives one complete protection against pregnancy and STDs in ways that condoms do not, as well as the risks of exploitation.

I had to laugh at Greta’s question about religious objections towards contraception keeping Bristol from using them to prevent pregnancy.  I haven’t yet known of a religion that objects to contraceptives but not to extramarital sex.  Catholics most famously object to contraception, and years ago my pastor discussed this with my young adult group.  He pointed out that having made the decision to sin with extramarital sex, using a condom would really be the least of our worries.

In case you need a lift after this clip, though, check out this video from Jim at Gateway Pundit.  Guess what Bristol thinks of bloggers obsessed with the pregnancies of herself and her mother? Gold:

Update: I second what Ace says — Bristol has a lot of courage in discussing this topic on national television. Also, please recall what I wrote when this story broke at the Republican convention. She and her family did the right thing when it counted, and we should remember that when watching this.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 10 11 12

How old would you honestly estimate your emotional age to be? I’d say no greater than 14. What say you?

Bizarro No. 1 on February 18, 2009 at 2:35 AM

Closer to 18 but my half a century age is misleading compared to the ass-kicking shape I’m in.

hawkdriver on February 18, 2009 at 2:42 AM

Bizaro are you Gay? (You don’t have to answer but I see the trend here with similar argument among folks who later assert that they’re Gay) If you are Gay, does the Palin Family represent a threat to you and your community?

And quit with the intelligence cracks if you want to discuss stuff.

hawkdriver on February 18, 2009 at 2:47 AM

You are so slow, type something before I give up on this thread.

hawkdriver on February 18, 2009 at 2:49 AM

Okay, I’m leaving. You and the Jew-Hater both come back out.

hawkdriver on February 18, 2009 at 2:50 AM

You sound sincere in your beliefs. Perhaps folks like the parents of Cindy Anthony in Florida were bad parents, but they seem like pretty decent folks to me. I would simply say to you that being a parent is a very humbling experience.

littleguy on February 18, 2009 at 1:32 AM

I haven’t said that I believe the Palins are indecent people; I actually said I believe they are good people. Nor did I say that they are bad parents. On a scale from 0-10, from what I’ve seen, I’d give them a 6.5. Not great, but not bad either.

I do understand how being a parent can be very humbling.

Bizarro No. 1 on February 18, 2009 at 3:11 AM

hawkdriver on February 18, 2009 at 2:28 AM

Dear, it’s almost flattering to know you are so obsessed with me, but frankly, isn’t this going a little overboard? You should be embarrassed!

Bizarro No. 1 on February 18, 2009 at 3:25 AM

Huh? Erm, this I won’t even pretend to understand what you were saying, or trying to say. Try again.

hawkdriver on February 18, 2009 at 2:29 AM

No! You aren’t worth the effort! Sorry! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on February 18, 2009 at 3:28 AM

Yes, I am gay – Rachel Maddow is my lover.

I am very threatened by the Palins. You prove your shrewdness by noticing what I believe I had been hiding so well!

And quit with the intelligence cracks if you want to discuss stuff.

hawkdriver on February 18, 2009 at 2:47 AM

In all honesty, I prefer not to have discussions with you; I can’t muster the interest. I don’t like you. :)

Bizarro No. 1 on February 18, 2009 at 3:41 AM

Bizarro, did it ever occur to you that maybe the fact that Track Palin is showing exceptional character by currently serving in the Iraq War is a pretty reliable indicator that his parents have done a pretty decent job?
Actually that question is also directed at Dean, Debbie, April, and the other Dr. Laura wannabes.

Just about every family has a problem child. Out of the four that my parents raised, three have gone on to become hardworking family men. One has been in and out of prison. So call my parents immature and incompetent if you want to but I doubt any reasonable person would be all that critical of going three-for-four. And while I’ve personally had my share of personal foibles, I don’t blame my parents for them. I couldn’t be half the man my father is.

P.S. It feels wonderful to contribute. This is my first post.

OlympicLeprechaun on February 18, 2009 at 6:26 AM

Like a car wreck, I had to come back and see how this thread had progressed- and it is pitiful. They shed the final ray of light on why so many turned away from the “conservative” candidate and went with the “other”.

There’s no “tent” flexible enough to take on some of these views.

anniekc on February 18, 2009 at 6:54 AM

Yeah annie, socialism, infanticide; we’re just too bigoted and intolerant of things like that.

OlympicLeprechaun on February 18, 2009 at 7:02 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on February 18, 2009 at 3:41 AM

Sure. Way to show up late for an argument and then act so tough. You’re like your president. A coward and transparent.

hawkdriver on February 18, 2009 at 8:08 AM

There’s no “tent” flexible enough to take on some of these views.

anniekc on February 18, 2009 at 6:54 AM

Are you saying the conservatives views like on this thread are what turned people away from the conservative candidates during the election? Hmm, if so, your answer for us is to just roll over?

hawkdriver on February 18, 2009 at 8:11 AM

Anniekc, I guess if you mean we devoted too much time to this thread instead of a more meaningful one I’d just say you fight the enemy where you find them. There is nowhere in the world I wouldn’t go to to rub liberals noses in their own ignorance and intolerance.

hawkdriver on February 18, 2009 at 8:29 AM

anniekc on February 18, 2009 at 6:54 AM

PS, it takes two to tango. Why do you think the left shows up in such great force for a Palin thread? Make no mistake, the reason the liberal left is always so animated on a Palin discussion is they fear her. And I’ll show up to defend any of the people in our party that has the potential to lead it. I would be disappointed in Conservatives and worried about our future if no one showed up to a Palin thread to take shots back at these guys.

Fight!

hawkdriver on February 18, 2009 at 8:36 AM

hawkdriver on February 18, 2009 at 8:11 AM

My point is that we are always going to have fiscally conservative people, and socially conservative people, and from what I’ve seen on this thread is that the socially conservative people appear to be quite inflexible. For example, I happen to like Sarah Palin and I agree with most of her views, but my opinion is that those same socially conservative views are exactly what will keep the Republican base from growing. We can hold ourselves up to be morally, “right”, but there are far too many “grey” voters out there that want nothing to do with what they view as uptight, rightous, evangelic, oppressive values. I’m only basing this on my own experience with the public- from work, church, etc. There are a myriad of rationals out there. Example: I think abortion is disgusting and wrong, but I don’t feel I have the right to impose my views on another woman’s choices. I just don’t feel you can sucessfully “have it all” in any political candidate.

I’ve encountered a lot of people who are really disgusted with Obama and what he’s done, (doing) to our government, and they voted for him! But knowing what they know now, they STILL wouldn’t have voted for McCain- unfortunately, I think Sarah Palin lost as many votes for us as she gained.

So yeah, as I read through some of these posts, it occurred to me that the Republican party was in more trouble than I’d thought.

anniekc on February 18, 2009 at 8:40 AM

Good Grief, Hawk. Thanks for fighting the good fight. Looks like some real moonbats sneaked in during the registration. The only anti-Palin person I have not seen is Poptech. Was he banned or something?

kingsjester on February 18, 2009 at 8:48 AM

anniekc on February 18, 2009 at 8:40 AM

I don’t usualy talk for anyone else, but I think Hawk and I are of the same mindset on this topic. If we allow for “greys” then we are no different then the wussie politicians that hold their fingers in the aire to see what way the wind is blowing, then swing that way…

Reagan never compromised on the core, the basics… If being a “big tent” party means losing our values, then I;ll just stay here, losing elections. I refuse to give an inch on basic Conservative morals, values and principals.

We won in the past by showing the stark, bold differences between the radical left and the Conservative right… As America goes down the tubes with the Liar in Chief, many in the “middle” or “center” will return to principals of family, of country, of self reliance, of American pride…

But not if we are just a Dem-Lite party, with “greys”.

Mark Garnett on February 18, 2009 at 9:15 AM

I read a page or two back someone saying that they believe children are born with an innate desire to please their parents. I’d like to introduce them to my daughter Sophia, who for the last 6 years, 3 weeks, and 9.5 hours has been engaged in a stubborn battle of wills against me. Her memo to please her parents must have been corrupted in the download or something. Her younger brother is no slouch when it comes to disobedience either. Fortunately, my older twin boy loves and lives for his Mommy.

I love when non-parents think they know everything about parenting. I ate some serious crow when I became a parent myself.

Anna on February 18, 2009 at 9:33 AM

But not if we are just a Dem-Lite party, with “greys”.

I hope you’re right, but at what length of time and what damage done to America in the (probable) eight years, (or more) of catastrophic Democratic rule? I can hold my conservative principle’s, value’s and morals in my own personal life, but I can’t control what the Dem’s are doing to us financially and governmentally. Personally, I’m willing to include “greys” in order to overcome disaster.

anniekc on February 18, 2009 at 9:33 AM

I ate some serious crow when I became a parent myself.

Anna on February 18, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Didn’t we all!

anniekc on February 18, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Anna on February 18, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Yep. It’s that free will thing. It’ll get you every time.
My former (and still it in my heart)step-son decided in 5th grade that he had to be the center of attention. Well, 6 weeks in his room after school with no Nintendo, TV, or music helped him to see our point of view. He is now playing drums in a Contemporary Christian Band and has been a Youth and Music Minister while attending college. Anna,
I’ve had a hand in raising 2 step-sons and a special daughter and it sure ain’t easy. Good Luck.

kingsjester on February 18, 2009 at 9:39 AM

anniekc on February 18, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Annie. I completely understand what you’re saying and don’t disagree with the premise. But Conservatives have compromised greatly and I don’t think we’re the parties problem. I don’t think you in the middle are either. I think all of us accepting the medias most simple and convenient definition of us is the problem. We are a complex party.

But like I said on another post, Social Conservatives have made a lot of concessions. But I cannot walk away from being pro-life just to suit my party. I didn’t just decide to be pro-life, I feel it in my heart. I don’t want to rule women, I just don’t want to kill babies because it’s not convenient to have them.

Why should it be so easy for me to change my convictions when the entire world thinks it’s too hard to not get pregnant? All this thread was about was a girl who was careless but in the end decided to do the right thing. The left used it as a means to attack her mother for whom they fear. It shouldn’t be an event that would polarize Conservatives, it should have united us.

Fight!

hawkdriver on February 18, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Anna on February 18, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Me too Anna. Take heart though, their argument was theoretical. You’re was from experience.

Sort of like a blind guy trying to describe to you what an elephant looks like by touching it huh?

hawkdriver on February 18, 2009 at 9:49 AM

So what happened to Debbie Fluster? Nothing like coming in and dropping a few brown pickles into the pool and then leaving.

BTW, hawk. Do you have insomnia?

Tennman on February 18, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Tennman on February 18, 2009 at 9:55 AM

It’s that military discipline. He doesn’t need much sleep when he is on a mission. Plus, our new Trolls got his attention. I don’t blame him. They were obnoxiouis.

kingsjester on February 18, 2009 at 10:08 AM

BTW, hawk. Do you have insomnia?

Tennman on February 18, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Night cycled this week for flying. I’m just putting on a flight suit now to go in to the airfield. But it’s raining and we’re probably not going to have the weather to fly even after taking the morning off. That’s your tax dollars at work baby!

And kingjester, it wasn’t really much a fight if you read them all. ;-)

hawkdriver on February 18, 2009 at 10:09 AM

First time poster – thank you, Michelle. Love both of your blogs!

I am middle-aged and childless by choice. I was a good girl as a teenager, until the steady boyfriend who is now my husband of 21 years came along. We dated 5 long years before we married, but we didn’t abstain. We did use birth control. We did not get pregnant at any time, but the way I felt about myself was my main injury. I talked to him about this after we married and he never felt any emotional pain from it. I carried lots of emotional baggage because no matter what society says, God’s Word says sex outside of marriage is a sin. I felt like “damaged goods” even though he was wholly devoted to me. As a result, our honeymoon night was sort of a non-event, which made me feel profoundly sad. People can snicker about the eldest son of the Duggars and his bride abstaining until their wedding night, but I assure you their honeymoon night was out of this world!!

My husband and I did repent and we are very happily married. I offer no excuse for our bad decision. It did take me awhile to drop the emotional baggage of my loss of self-respect. So, even if a baby isn’t born to the union, other things can result from it, like mental anguish–especially if the young woman thinks he’s “the one” and then they break up.

I have a friend’s child who is of the tender age of 15, and is in such a relationship right now. This is not a matter about which her mother and I can talk about with each other because frankly, it’s none of my business. I’m reliving this through her daughter though, and I cried about it on my way to work this morning.

sokmnkee on February 18, 2009 at 10:13 AM

hawkdriver on February 18, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Yeah, I know. They were lightweights. By the way, what happened to Poptech? Did he just go away?

kingsjester on February 18, 2009 at 10:14 AM

hawkdriver on February 18, 2009 at 10:09 AM

I live south of Nashville. I see some Hawks fly over from time to time. I always run outside to watch the flyovers. Magnificent!

Tennman on February 18, 2009 at 10:15 AM

kingsjester on February 18, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Banned I think.

hawkdriver on February 18, 2009 at 10:16 AM

hawkdriver on February 18, 2009 at 10:16 AM

That’s what I was thinking. He would be all over this thread if he were still around.

kingsjester on February 18, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Tennman on February 18, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Probably from Campbell. I’m almost done with them though. My commander is letting me retire and I’ll probably take my last flight in the next month or so.

Later all.

hawkdriver on February 18, 2009 at 10:18 AM

We’re within a few minutes flying time of Ft. Campbell, home of the 101st, in case anyone is wondering.

Tennman on February 18, 2009 at 10:18 AM

If anyone on August 28, 2008 would have predicted that a HA thread devoted to an unwed mother in Alaska would generate over 1100 postings he or she could have been dubbed not only prophet of the year but prophet of the century.

This is unbelievable. That the girl is the daughter of a losing VP candidate is more astonishing because if you take the last 6 losing VP candidates besides Sarah Palin (John Edwards, Al Gore, Jack Kemp, Dan Quayle, Lloyd Bentsen, and Geraldine Ferraro)you could do exhaustive research and probably find no more than 12 paragraphs in total devoted to the children of the losing VP candidate so soon after a defeat.

Losing VP candidates are supposed to be forgotten, crawl back into the woodwork,or the press and media is supposed to move on and focus their attention of covering the day to day exploits of the Presidential winner and his administration.

I will admit that the MSM has tried to make that happen but in crude terms ‘Sarah Palin will not go away however much they try to make her yesterday’s news’.

What is even more astonishing is that Sarah Palin is from Alaska, a remote state and the state with the 47th lowest popualtion. Yes, she is a governor but seriously folks a major player in the game of national politics, get real, that is not possible.

Since November 4th Sarah has performed only one political act: to help Saxby Chambliss in his runoff in which he won by 15 points. She has purposely I think stayed away from Washington, only attending the Alfalfa dinner, in which she did not speak. Having been invited to speak at the Congressional retreat, Sarah politely declined. And to top if off she begged off her appearance at CPAC. And she has done very few media interviews with the national media. It’s not like the woman is clamoring for national attention.

From any objective point of view this should have doomed Sarah and relegated her to the wilderness of national politics. Instead there is a feeling out there is Sarah is getting herself prepared and ready to do battle; her supporters (I am one) do not have to be sold on her popularity, authenticity, charisma, or her superstar presence and abilities. She closed the deal with most of us during the campaign and especially after her debate with Joe Biden where she went toe-to-toe with a man with 35 years experience in foreign affairs and prevailed or at least held her own. We know Sarah needs to bone up, become more conversant with the details of national issues, and carve out her own path away from the McCain campaign. From what we have seen so far we see no reason why Sarah after 2-3 years will not be able to do this.

We are convinced. We do not need to be sold that Sarah has the ‘right stuff’. But there are millions out there who are sitting on the fence-good fiscal conservatives, foreign affairs specialists or those who believe in the values of traditional America (life, libety, and the pursuit of happiness), who may think that Sarah is a flash in the pan, is all style and no substance (a moron) or that she has been so damaged by the MSM that there is no hope in hell that Sarah will ever be a credible, winning candidate.

As to the first contention by the end of this year I predict nobody will be calling Sarah Palin a flash in the pan (unless of course she declares she is not running for President in 2012). As much as the MSM would still like to bury her, they will find that they will not be able to.

As for establishing policy positions it has been recommended by many, including myself, that Sarah surround herself with able and experienced advisors who can help her formulate her conservative principles into a coherent package and develop ideas and policies that she wants to run on. Unlike the 2008 campaign where she was thrown into battle without going through a training camp Sarah will have now have the time and will to absorb all the goings-on in Washington and the world from a perspective of offering up viable alternatives.

And finally if you feel that Sarah’s reputation has been permanently damaged by the MSM, SNL, or late-night comedians, look at athletes (Kobe Bryant or former politicians (Bill Clinton) that have been previously vilified for wrongdoing and subsequently after years have passed have been resurrected in the public eye. I have every confidence in the world, despite the efforts of Obama, the MSM, elitists, pundits on both sides of the aisle, and people with axes to grind to marginalize or ridicule Sarah that ultimately Sarah will emerge a credible candidate. If you who are sitting on the fence regarding Sarah do not believe this and are in fact doubting Thomases I guess you’ll have to see it to believe it. Our goal as supporters of Sarah are to ensure that is what happens and that you jump on board as well.

technopeasant on February 18, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Thanks all! Of course, I know I shouldn’t complain… they’re still 7 and 10 years away from being teenagers!

I love my kids, love ‘em to death and back again, and I hope they turn out alright. Tim and I try our hardest to bring them up as good children and citizens… and underneath the stubborn, the lessons do appear to be taking hold. However, if one of them makes a mistake, we will still love them, with the realization that no one is perfect.

Anna on February 18, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Anna on February 18, 2009 at 9:33 AM

If you aren’t fimilar with them may I respectfully introduce you to Erma Bombeck’s early books. She would not be a contemporary (she has passed away) but she taught me that you can laugh through the frustration. I even enjoyed the teenage years and I give her a lot of credit.

Cindy Munford on February 18, 2009 at 11:10 AM

This is true – the American public has a short term memory, which is unfortunately why people like Barney Frank and Chris Dodd won’t be punished for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. However, this also gives Sarah a chance to perform some more careful reputation management during her next go-round in the national spotlight. Personally I hope she waits until 2018 before she makes any foray into national politics again – 2012 is too soon.

Tacitus_SGL on February 18, 2009 at 11:16 AM

2012 is too soon.

Tacitus_SGL on February 18, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Either her or Sanford… 2018 America will NOT be here in any recognizable form…

We must make gains in 2010, 2012 and 2014 or it’s over as a Republic, the far left radicals will have way too much power.

Mark Garnett on February 18, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on February 18, 2009 at 3:25 AM

Geez, how did I miss that snarky little bit of flirting. I’m not your type, I like women.
No, actually princess, I rather enjoyed taking the mere couple minutes to demonstrate what a hypocrite ass you were. My pleasure.
No, no! No tip required! Think of it as your part of the stimulus bill. Free. Gratis, Na…da.

BTW, is Bizarro a nickname you got from your friends or family?

hawkdriver on February 18, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Mark Garnett on February 18, 2009 at 11:22 AM

In the hills of North Carolina, there will be a resistance movement. I’m going up there this weekend to bury all my weapons.

hawkdriver on February 18, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Cindy Munford on February 18, 2009 at 11:10 AM

I heart Erma Bombeck! My aunt introduced me to her years ago, and personally, I think she’s pretty timeless. I mean, times change, but the fun/frustration of parenting doesn’t. I also have read Steve Doocy’s books, I find him quite funny too.

I never wanted kids, until I had them. Wouldn’t have it any other way.

Anna on February 18, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Palin’s need to put a cork in it. Their shortcomings have been observed.

The interview was for the money. Bristol could have demured with a no comment regarding teenage sex questions. The rationale for the interview and for answering what should have been muted is to excuse herself. Self ingratiation via ingratitude for supporters is a most unbecoming McCain sabotage character flaw. Conservatives eschew prostitution in all its guises. So whatever friends Sarah and Bristol meant to win were just lost. Their antagonists will NEVER let up; and the Palins’ champions are doing what the Palins should do right now. Stop to think.

Self control is a virtue, and in politics differentiates between a good leader and a fop. As it is, Ms. Bristol Palin is humiliating many who stood by her side during her darkest humiliation. Very bad form; and considering the girl’s lack of formal education, very bad form on the part of Gov. Palin to host this expose all in her home as matriarch. This poor show leads to the intrusion of a criticism; like daughter like mother? If the Palins believe in contraceptives as well as abstinence, then the double bonus baby syndrome denotes lack of preparation, conviction and SELF CONTROL.

Time to seriously be quiet and focus on studying and learning from the wise.

As per 2012, Jindal is a thinker who solves the most serious and difficult problems with the best means. Note well, he is defying the Obama pig$ trough.

Speaking of prostitution, this Obama tax swindle heaps huge taxation upon US, the tax dollars going directly to foreign bankers who LEND us back OUR tax money AT INTEREST.

maverick muse on February 18, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Anna on February 18, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Excellent. I am with you on the kids, mom is the best job I have ever had.

Cindy Munford on February 18, 2009 at 12:54 PM

For those who think 2012 is too soon for Sarah (assuming Sarah runs in 2012) 2012 is not soon enough.

For those counselling Sarah to wait to 2016 or 2020 why don’t you recommend that Tiger Woods wait another year before returning to action so that his knee really heels.

Sarah is a superstar. Deny that as much as you want, it will still be the truth by any objective measure of what qualities a superstar exudes, commands, or performs.

For any understanding of Sarah Palin this is where you must begin. If she decides to run in 2012 she will be automatically a front runner. Hide your head in the sand and deny it but nevertheless it will be true. She may not gain the nomination but would anyone with half a brain bet against her. Perhaps dumb-downed Obamatrons would, but not conservatives or even rational moderates.

One must strike when the iron is hot. For Sarah the political climate is boiling over; all she needs to do is respond and catch the fever herself.

technopeasant on February 18, 2009 at 1:04 PM

“If being a “big tent” party means losing our values, then I’ll just stay here, losing elections. I refuse to give an inch on basic Conservative morals, values and principals.”

It’s sad that you don’t see how futile this approach is. “My way or the highway” only really works when you have the power to send the other guy packing instead of vice-versa.

On the Sarah Palin topic, I just disagree that she can lead the GOP out of the woods it finds itself in. Despite the handwringing about the “media filter”, Palin had plenty of opportunities to articulate her message and did not do so effectively. Frankly, she comes across as not very smart and I challenge anyone to listen to the prank call she took from a Canadian Radio station and tell me otherwise. The “Russia is Close to Alaska” statement and subsequent sticking by it doesn’t help. I know this isn’t a popular opinion here, but Sarah Palin will never win a presidential race, period. The longer the GOP pins its hopes and dreams on her, the worst off it will be.

maleman on February 18, 2009 at 1:31 PM

For most of you people, abstinence was(is) simply a fact!

bmac727 on February 18, 2009 at 5:02 PM

she comes across as not very smart

Male, I mean no insult, but you are providing ample evidence that the MSM propaganda has been effective. You swallowed it hook, line, and sinker. Goebbels would certainly be green with envy if he weren’t a blackened crisp in hell.

How anyone with even rudimentary objective powers of reasoning can parrot this condemnation of Governor Palin’s intelligence when juxtaposed with Joe Biden’s idiocy is beyond my comprehension. The man we elected President said that asthmatic children need to be treated with breathalyzers for crying out loud.

OlympicLeprechaun on February 18, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Technopeasant at February 18 at 10:41

Tech, I hope the lovely Gov browses these blogs. She’d probably hire you. Had you been running McCain’s campaign she’d be the VP right now.

OlympicLeprechaun on February 18, 2009 at 5:21 PM

What struck me about Greta’s interview with Bristol was how Sarah acted and talked in a casual, impromptu manner while she was standing up. Didn’t she talk like any normal person? if you didn’t know it would you really believe that Sarah was a politician? You cannot buy that kind of authenticity.

technopeasant on February 18, 2009 at 5:24 PM

She is a real person, and beautiful inside and out.

Yeah I got a crush. So sue me.

OlympicLeprechaun on February 18, 2009 at 6:31 PM

OlympicLeprechaun, much of the Palin material I have is garnered from transcripts of her speeches, although I have caught most of her notable TV and radio appearances. Of what I have seen on TV and heard on the radio, I am not impressed. How is it MSM propaganda that Palin would spend 5 minutes on the phone with a BAD Sarkozy imitator who is saying borderline crazy stuff about going hunting from a helicopter (but not with Cheney there!), and she never catches on? I listened to the tape and that level of niavete is embarrassing. Am I to believe that she is a genius, yet is manipulated by Katie Couric in the interviews for CBS? The so-called “gotcha” questions the media was asking her were pretty routine, and Palin’s non-answers and her explanations for her non-answers were nonsensical. So please, don’t tell me I’m a victim of propaganda. I know what I saw firsthand.

maleman on February 18, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Allah, if you ever read this, I just want to apologize for being such a jerk over the whole ‘Palin cult’ remark. Judging by the comments seen here and elsewhere (Free Republic, Team Sarah) it seems that you are right. Some, certainly not all of Palin’s supporters do seem like wacked out cult members. It’s like any criticism of anything Palin or her family do is just simply off limits.

Well, she freely gave the interview AND posed for People magazine, so now she has to accept the criticism that comes her way. And here is some right now: abstinence is realistic, if you bother to practice it. The moment you have sex is the moment you give up on abstinence, and it won’t work if you give up on it.

MBP1982 on February 20, 2009 at 8:03 PM