British libraries to put Koran on top shelf, at Muslims’ request

posted at 9:47 pm on February 17, 2009 by Allahpundit

And I use the word “request” very loosely indeed. In case you were worried that that de facto fatwa they imposed by banishing Geert Wilders is part of a trend, the answer is yes.

Muslims have complained of finding the Koran on lower shelves, saying it should be put above commonplace things.

So officials have responded with guidance, backed by ministers, that all holy books should be treated equally and go on the top shelf together…

The report said the city’s librarians consulted the Federation of Muslim Organisations and were advised that all religious texts should be kept on the top shelf.

‘This meant that no offence is caused, as the scriptures of all the major faiths are given respect in this way, but none is higher than any other,’ the guidance added…

Inayat Bunglawala, of the Engage think tank, which encourages Muslims to play a greater role in public life, said: ‘If Muslims wish to see the Koran placed on a higher shelf, and library rules say it should be there, then that is a welcome and considerate gesture.

‘But one size does not fit all. If Christians do not want to see the Bible treated in the same way, I do not see why it has to be dealt with the same.’

Sound familiar? Borders caved on exactly this point a few years ago, reserving pride of place for the Koran on the top shelf of their stores lest they get a taste of what Wilders has to live with every day from his Islamic “critics.” It’s a cowardly policy but somewhat understandable in the case of a private corporation; in the case of a state with armies at its disposal, not so much. Bizarrely, the main objection from Christians interviewed for the story isn’t that the Koran’s getting special treatment, it’s that sticking the Bible way up top will make it less accessible to library-goers looking for a copy. Hey, guys? Focus. Exit question: Can you think of anyone with a media megaphone who might take noisy exception to British libraries putting sacred texts above “commonplace things” like Darwin and Newton? Speak up, man.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The next thing they will want is for the Queen to convert to Islam

thmcbb on February 17, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Let’s load onto rockets and shoot them into the Sun. High enough for you now?

PackerBronco on February 17, 2009 at 11:10 PM

From Carl in Jerusalem:

You know there’s a lot of anti-Semitism in Europe when even CNN notices. The area of London which is in the first part of this video is one I know well – I have stayed there every time I have been London (probably six or seven times in the last ten years), and the area where the gentleman was mugged was apparently on Golders Green Road, the main street through one of the city’s largest Jewish neighborhoods

There is a video at the link.

INC on February 17, 2009 at 11:11 PM

I was hoping they would store the koran in the loo. But hey! Can you store all the writings of child marrying, murderous thugs who receive revelations from ringings in their ears in the fantasy section? We don’t want to offend the goths!

daesleeper on February 17, 2009 at 11:12 PM

No problem, put it between the Bible (B) and Talmud (T). Let them protest the equality as they touch cover to cover.

In the end, it will get worse for the Brits before it gets better… funny to think they fought the Nazi’s in the hills, streets and on the beaches, but will get taken here from within if less careful.

Freedom…

RedTiger62 on February 17, 2009 at 11:15 PM

This is from the speech Geert Wilders was gonna give to the House of Commons:

By letting me speak today you show that Mr Churchill’s spirit is still very much alive.

Well they didn’t let him speak, Old Winston is dead, and if he’s dead, so is England. How sad :-(

Tony737 on February 17, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Whoa…over the top…..

DeathToMediaHacks on February 17, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Quoth the guy who, if I remember correctly, is cool with the Fairness Doctrine. Spare me any laments over a lack of “tolerance”.

ddrintn on February 17, 2009 at 11:19 PM

Or they could attach helium balloons to all Korans and really let them rise above all other books.

profitsbeard on February 17, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Richard Dawkins is too busy contemplating what his admission that its possible Aliens came from outer space as our “Intelligent Designers” and what that does to his worldview.

jp on February 17, 2009 at 11:29 PM

The Koran: Will it Blend?

Mr. Joe on February 17, 2009 at 11:40 PM

Let’s load onto rockets and shoot them into the Sun. High enough for you now?

PackerBronco on February 17, 2009 at 11:10 PM

They would have to go at night.

Johan Klaus on February 17, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Ok….then go to that bookstore or library and move it from the top shelf to the bottom. What can it hurt? Although it just gets a little closer to our shoes.

Kokonut on February 17, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Put it between the crapper and the latrine.

Johan Klaus on February 17, 2009 at 11:47 PM

When did the British become so spineless?

1997, New Labour. Rinse and repeat. I don’t think it’s reversible, Cameron’s a squish. I’m so glad I don’t live there any more, miss it though.

Fortunata on February 17, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Hmmm… If I was a Borders shopper, I might be tempted to rearrange their shelves. And by rearrange I mean put a certain book on the floor in the “religions started by lunatic pedophiles” section…

cbconnolly on February 17, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Simple solution: put it in the attic.

bitsy on February 17, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Where the Winston Churchill England?

Streecar on February 18, 2009 at 12:07 AM

as an experiment, lets take a Koran, place in a jar and urinate all over it and call it Art.

jp on February 18, 2009 at 12:07 AM

jp on February 18, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Hey I’m sure that will pass today’s standards of modern art :D

FontanaConservative on February 18, 2009 at 12:20 AM

I think it’s a little hard to draw a line against it. Really, what makes more sense: reading a book of Shakespeare’s plays, or getting a DVD of them being actually performed?

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on February 17, 2009 at 10:47 PM

The line is, if you want either you can buy it yourself.

WashJeff on February 18, 2009 at 12:27 AM

The free market would make libraries better.

Libertarian Joseph on February 18, 2009 at 12:45 AM

How about in the bathroom so i can use it correctly
As a demonstation of the leftists
use of everything we hold value too

I say we use the koran for
environmentally clean heating (by burning it in the power plants)..

jcila on February 18, 2009 at 12:50 AM

So the Brits are kissing Muslim butt? The thought that we could be having to do this………….nope! From the UK Times the People are getting fed up with their Government as well.

sheebe on February 18, 2009 at 1:24 AM

That’s my beef as well. I don’t give two golden calves about how Muslims want to venerate the Islamic version of Mein Kampf, nor do I care if a public library wants to cave to a bunch of wife beaters beheaders.

Save your spaz-juice for when the Muslim scum decide having any non-islamic religious tome in the same library is an insult, quickly followed by every non-islamic book there being an insult.

TMK on February 18, 2009 at 1:25 AM

Whoever that is has got her head messed up.

Christians don’t want the Bible on a library’s top shelf because we don’t run around beheading people for not being Christians.

Ryan Gandy on February 18, 2009 at 1:29 AM

What if I think Mein Kampf is a holy book? Can we put it up top next to the Koran. After all, they basically say the same thing: Exterminate the Jews, then follow up with the Christians.

Tim Burton on February 18, 2009 at 1:39 AM

The principle of showing respect for all religious views (including anti-religious views) and for the sacred texts of those groups is appropriate. The problem in this case is how you express respect. That will vary from one culture to another.

I live and work in Europe. Before coming I went through cross-cultural training (the differences between American culture and European culture are minimal compared to the differences between Western culture and Muslim culture!). We were taught to avoid saying, “But in America we do it this way.” Colonialism involved imposing American or European culture on third-world countries. That attitude is now largely considered to have been “wrong”.

This situation with the Koran is similar to colonialism. Some of the Muslims who are moving into Europe and America are seeking to impose their culture on their adopted homeland. If putting the Koran on the top shelf is the way that they showed respect back home in Iran or Iraq or where ever, that is fine. They can do that in their home. But they need to understand and accept that in other cultures respect is expressed in different ways (sometimes even involving humor and/or questioning traditional interpretations).

Should the British express respect for different religions and their sacred texts? It certainly wouldn’t be a bad thing. But they should do so in a way that is consistent with their British culture. Certainly in Western culture, putting the Koran or the Bible on the shelf in the library in the slot allotted to it by the dewey decimal system (or whatever they use in Britain) is not a sign of disrespect. It may be the responsibility of a host to make his guest feel welcome, but it is the responsibility of the guest to adapt to the customs and culture of his host. When in Rome . . .

Ordinary American on February 18, 2009 at 4:47 AM

Who cares! It’s England! What do you expect from a people that wish to be ruled by a King and Queen? Also a people that wish to keep a society of status that you are born into? Have fun Brits!

sabbott on February 18, 2009 at 6:02 AM

Police adopt uniform hijab:

Police have opened the door to female Muslim recruits by incorporating the hijab into the uniform. The force has become the latest to approve a design for a headscarf suitable for officers on patrol.

Senior officers believe the lack of the option has deterred applications from the considerable number of Muslim women who choose to wear the hijab. The police hijab is plain black and made of a flame-retardant material. Officers will be able to wear a standard police hat on top of it.

A small number of forces nationwide have taken a similar step, including Thames Valley and the Metropolitan police….

…Mr Feavyour said: “Clearly, we want people from all walks of life to join the force and the fact we have the hijab available now shows our commitment to that. It’s an extension to our uniform which will, hopefully, show people they are welcome.

“It is very important to us that the force reflects the community it serves.”

What law will the more pious Muslim policewomen be enforcing. I can just imagine a Mulsim woman opening up o a Hijab wearing policewoman about domestic violence.

davod on February 18, 2009 at 6:30 AM

Top shelf of which section of the Library?
Fiction?
Mental Illness?
Terrorist Handbooks?
Guides to Operating Oppressive Dictatorships?

albill on February 18, 2009 at 6:33 AM

I don’t have a problem with the Koran being on the top shelf, out of the reach of children, next to volumes of Maplethorpe photos and back issues of Hustler.

But seriously, I’m surprised at the animosity I’m reading here toward Public Libraries. My local library has a very nice political science section that runs about 50-50 on right/left viewpoints. There’s also a great selection of documentaries. Many times I’ll read a new hardcover from the library and if I like it, I’ll buy it when it comes out in paperback. The public is ignorant enough as it is. I’d be hesitant to remove this option from them.

Bludgeon on February 18, 2009 at 6:45 AM

Just another day in Londonistan and Eurabia……………..

adamsmith on February 18, 2009 at 6:59 AM

I find myself moving from despair to utter outrage. Slow suicide of the west. Islam is THE threat to humankind. Death and destruction lies ahead.

Nyssan on February 18, 2009 at 7:12 AM

On the top shelf now. Next – the first book on the shelf. Next – the only book on the shelf.

davod on February 18, 2009 at 7:13 AM

sabbott on February 18, 2009 at 6:02 AM

Better to be ruled by a queen than the false messiah.

sdd on February 18, 2009 at 7:31 AM

Next time I’m in Borders I’m going to move some of the Korans onto the bottom shelf, or perhaps the floor, and cart a few over to the comedy section while I’m at it.

Maybe I’ll sneak in some strips of bacon to slip between the pages too… free “bookmarks”.

Woody on February 18, 2009 at 7:44 AM

Why do people insist on bowing before these fanatics? If Christians ask for the Bible to be set on the high shelf we they are treated like they’re loons. I am tired of seeing people being manipulated in such a manner that they place their Christian beliefs aside as they fold under Muslim pressure.

mindhacker on February 18, 2009 at 7:47 AM

The one and only book on the top shelf is the bible as God will see to that. This man-made religion will suffer when they continue to attack the One, True God of the bible.
Their “leader” died long ago and the Lord God is getting ready to hand out His judgement on us all.

dthorny on February 18, 2009 at 8:08 AM

I’m not going to say where it’s located, but the Borders near me does not have the Korans on the top shelf. They are located on the 2nd and 3rd shelves from the bottom.

The horror!

Disturb the Universe on February 18, 2009 at 8:11 AM

Actually, it’s pretty difficult to reach the books on the top shelf at the Borders unless you are tall.

Silly Muslims.

Disturb the Universe on February 18, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Ordinary American on February 18, 2009 at 4:47 AM

So what you are saying is that if I take my wife on a vacation to Malaysia I can honorably and rightfully behead her. Cool. It’s a heck of a lot cheaper then divorce, especially in the long run.

jmarcure on February 18, 2009 at 8:13 AM

This is from the speech Geert Wilders was gonna give to the House of Commons:

Tony737 on February 17, 2009 at 11:17 PM

England presented us with a bust of Churchill after 9/11; Obama just sent it back.

Disturb the Universe on February 18, 2009 at 8:17 AM

mindhacker on February 18, 2009 at 7:47 AM

They are not folding. They are being culturally sensitive which is all the rage. It is very impolite to push your culture even in your own country. It shows how uncivilized one is.

jmarcure on February 18, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Hell…what I am writing in this thread would be a hate crime in Canada.

WashJeff on February 17, 2009 at 10:21 PM

If the U.N. gets its way, it will be a hate crime here soon, too.

Disturb the Universe on February 18, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Stealth Jihad.

Creeping Sharia.

Not only will your great grandchildren have to pay for Obama’s stimulating package, they also will be named Mohammed and Aisha.

Wake up, America.

Disturb the Universe on February 18, 2009 at 8:24 AM

I don’t understand. Whenever I see pictures of Madrassas (sp?) there are thousands of little boys, sitting on the floor, memorizing the Koran. We are going to have to levitate all the boys or build them a platform.

freckleface on February 18, 2009 at 8:24 AM

I suggest they put it in the highest place… on top of the bookshelf where no one can see it or reach it… and leave it to be covered in the dust of time.

dominigan on February 18, 2009 at 8:32 AM

The koran was written by a nonce who sexually assaulted a 9-year old, of course it should be placed out of reach of children, along with all the other filth. Besides, I can still pee that high.

Crusty on February 18, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Could Enoch Powell have been…*gasp* … right? As in, correct?

ddrintn on February 17, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Next.

PimFortuynsGhost on February 18, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Well, that will keep the koran out of the sight of our Children. So, no problem, necessarily.

Mazztek on February 18, 2009 at 9:07 AM

The unbidden and uncharitable thought in my mind is that here is definitely a top-shelf case of idolatry by the Muslims demanding this act.

That said, I don’t have any problem with it — this is merely showing respect for religion — something not often done in these dark times. I’m further amused at all the British Protestants in this article using the event to take shots at the Catholic Church and its inability to have invented the printing press at an earlier point in history than it eventually was invented (thus requiring, prior to that time, the laborious and extremely expensive recopying of Bibles by hand from previous editions, nearly all of which were translations into what once was the vernacular — Latin).

The biggest complaint by the complainers is that the Bible is now placed on a shelf which is out of easy reach of the believer desiring one. I’m not surprised that the bookstores would attempt to treat the Bible with an equivalent respect to that which they are now according the Koran. However, if Bibles are indeed so sought after in Britain, maybe the bookstores ought to have a lower bookcase used for display of religious texts.

As for me, I’m used to using the librarians’ step stool to get to the books above my head, and am truly glad that I’ve never had to use one of those rolling ladders (or, worse, a “grippy thing”) to retrieve a tome.

unclesmrgol on February 18, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Inayat Bunglawala

Am I the only one who misreads this guy’s name as Inyer Bunghole?

Blake on February 18, 2009 at 9:24 AM

My favorite quote of all time:
“We should invade their countries, kill all their leaders, and convert them to Christianity”.—Ann Coulter

Coughmann on February 18, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Koran, now in two ply.

jukin on February 18, 2009 at 10:16 AM

British libraries to put Koran on top shelf, at Muslims’ request

Unless major changes occur, Islam will NEVER reach the civility of Christianity.

Christianity = Eternal Life
Islam = Death and Destruction

byteshredder on February 18, 2009 at 10:40 AM

As the song goes “there’s no England anymore”!

CrusaderPatriot on February 18, 2009 at 10:58 AM

You guys are really getting indignant about what shelf a book is on in a library in a different country?

Really?

“Focus”, indeed.

orange on February 18, 2009 at 11:05 AM

How about putting some Mohammad cartoons in those high flying Qurans? Just a thought.

eaglewingz08 on February 18, 2009 at 12:12 PM

I love Islam as much as Salman Rushdie but the title of this post is completely misleading. Apparently, this rule will now apply to all religious texts.

Sure they all would more properly belong next to fairy tales with plots involving decapitated children. But I think it was insinuated that Koran would receive special treatment. I don’t see it. Am I missing something?

radiofreevillage on February 18, 2009 at 12:17 PM

I put it on the shelf next to my toilet paper. It’s my backup.

Static on February 18, 2009 at 12:25 PM

P.S. In the spirit of being constructive, I’ll try and elaborate on what is truly a problem. As I have said, the title is completely misleading. However, the first paragraph hints at something important.

Imagine that a Christian group would demand the Bible put on the top shelf or be otherwise “respected”. A lot of secularists would (correctly) raise hell. Far too often, that isn’t happening when we deal with Koran. And part of the reason why is fear of physical violence, plain and simple. Now this state of things is unacceptable.

radiofreevillage on February 18, 2009 at 12:33 PM

But are they facing east?

/sarc

Ridiculous, hand-wringing, self-important cultists. I sense a few librarians are going to be short a hand or two if the koran is improperly shelved.

citrus on February 18, 2009 at 1:15 PM

The Koran should be put in the political science department under imperialism.

JiangxiDad on February 17, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Best reply evah!

Badger40 on February 18, 2009 at 2:38 PM

The United Kingdom is a lost cause, the Greenies, Liberals, Unionmembers and even the Church of England have turned into mush. The UK could use another PM Churchill or PM Thatcher right now. It’s simply a matter of time before the UK is an Islamic State.

Broomy on February 18, 2009 at 3:46 PM