Video: A salute to Canadian health care

posted at 1:05 pm on February 16, 2009 by Allahpundit

It’s the socialized-medicine equivalent of that 12-year-old’s anti-abortion stemwinder: Nothing you haven’t heard before, but rarely will you hear it quite like this.

Dude, he’s the Canadian ‘Zo.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

WHY DOES EVERYONE KEEP CALLING SOCIALIZED MEDICINE “FREE”?

WE ARE GOING TO BE TAXED OUT OF OUR ASSES TO PAY FOR ALL OF THIS “FREE” STUFF.

I THINK OBAMBI HAS LOGGED IN UNDER VARIOUS NAMES TO TRY TO MAKE PEOPLE THINK CANADA’S SYSTEM DOESN’T SUCK AS BAD AS WE ALL KNOW IT DOES.

STOP IT BARRY, WE ALL ALREADY KNOW BETTER…

Ltlgeneral64 on February 16, 2009 at 11:21 PM

I found it pretty comical. Most of the ignorant comments on the Canadian system here, not this so called comic. As Blackbird mention above, the Canadian system is not perfect, but I will take ours any day over the U.S. FOR PROFIT system. As does that vast majority of my countrymen. I love all these…”my dad knows lots of Canadians coming down here for care, or I know a guy who came here and paid $25,000 to get his hip replaced instead of waiting a few months to have it done in Canada.” Blah, blah, blah. I have had to use our system numerous times, and my care was excellent and timely. Of course, my stories, and the vast majority of CAnadians stories like mine will never make the press because they are boring. The fact is, a very, very small % of Canadians have gone down south for care. Its the fact, look it up. Universal healthcare is the most equitable system in the world. Could it be improved..yes. Is it as bad as most neo-cons paint it in the states, hell no.

Madhabber on February 16, 2009 at 11:24 PM

I enjoyed this video. It is such a shame that 70% of the country is so ignorant with such a lack of understanding of economics that they would seriously entertain socialized medicine. We have got to move back toward everyone buying their own health insurance instead of getting whatever their employer gives them.

Copay’s should be on a percentage basis, not fixed dollar amounts, in order to give incentives to seek out lower cost (while still good quality) doctors. Medical care providers should be required to post prices or be able to give an on the spot quote for any medical services they would like to perform, so people can comparison shop. I wish Wal*Mart would slap doctor’s offices in all their Supercenters and introduce the $40 doctor visit.

If insurance companies were smart, they would charge 30% copay, so people would go to Wal*Mart and pay $12, and the insurance company would only have to pick up $28, instead of charging a flat $10 copay and handing the normal doctor’s office another $120.

Let the free market flourish, and put a cap on “pain and suffering” liability awards, and you could drop health care costs in half in this country. Oh, some trial lawyers would be out of work, and doctors might have to find ways to see more patients per hour or else offer good enough care that people are willing to pay their higher prices. We could still offer approriate levels of assistance to those truly in need.

But pretty soon we would be able to comparison shop online with prices and other patients reviews to try to find the best doctor for the best price, and we would be able to keep our health insurance just like we keep our car insurance when we change jobs.

And for those that think it can’t be done, all we would be doing is reverting to how it was done 40-50 years ago.

willamettevalley on February 16, 2009 at 11:52 PM

My junior and senior years in high school I had many classes with a boy from Toronto when anybody, mostly teachers, tried to tell us the joys of socialized medicine. He would tell us that in Toronto the best treatment for an appendicitis was an airplane ticket for the first arrival in the US. It was the fastest way to get treatment.

darktood on February 17, 2009 at 1:27 AM

Socialized medicine brings me back Truman’s time wherein it first was heard, and I seem to see the US following Moscow party line everytime it is spoken of.

shieldon on February 17, 2009 at 1:53 AM

Have you been inside an American ER in the past 5 years? Everywhere you look, there are signs explaining that you have the right to be seen, and treated for an emergency condition, regardless of your ability to pay. Google EMTALA sometime.

cs89 on February 16, 2009 at 9:05 PM

In the richest country on earth, if you can’t afford insurance you only get treatment when you’re dying. Thank goodness I live in the UK with our ‘low quality’ ‘rationed’ healthcare.

dodo on February 17, 2009 at 6:00 AM

Basically what it looks like is a bunch of poor bums whining about how you have to pay for healthcare, and hardworking people wanting to preserve the last bastion of actual quality healthcare.

People don’t owe you shit. Nobody owes you healthcare, not even the government. It’s a product, just like any other product. Who are these people that are so poor they bitch about having to pay for healthcare?

In Massachusetts, they just passed a law mandating healthcare, which meant I was FORCED by law to get it. So I did and went to see my assigned doctor’s office.

When I got there, it was a room full of about thirty people, babies and what looked like future convicts, and NOBODY else. No receptionist, no nurse, nothing. I sat down on this couch that looked like it was ready to walk away, and after about thirty minutes, a door opens and out walks this ‘doctor’. It was a filthy woman with matted hair and crazy eyes. I wouldn’t have let her treat me if I had lockjaw.

All of you socialist cheerleaders, stop endorsing your crappy healthcare. Some people actually work for a living, and want the option to get quality care for their money. You have every other country in the world. Stay away from the U.S.

Sixth Guard on February 17, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Madhabber on February 16, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Oh, of course. Let’s all ignore what EVERY SINGLE CANADIAN says about their healthcare systems who chooses to comment on their FIRSTHAND experiences in favor of your ignorant blather.

PJ Emeritus on February 17, 2009 at 10:13 AM

And dodo – ever been here? If you had, you would know precisely how ignorant that post was. NO ONE can be refused healthcare in the United States – by law.

And you do NOT have to be “dying.”

Please keep your ignorance on that side of the Atlantic.

PJ Emeritus on February 17, 2009 at 10:16 AM

PJ Emeritus on February 17, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Sorry PJ, I live here in Canada, and work in a health care related field. The only ignorance are people like are you, and for example, the post above about the claim that a guy from Toronto who says the best treatment for appendicitis is an airplane ticket to the states. Pure B.S. Do you actually think a person who needs immediate treatment for appendicitis has to wait months to have his/her appendix removed?? Tell me how I’m blathering. Give me a study that shows health outcomes are better in the U.S. than Canada. When I needed immediate care, or my wife or any of my family memebers needed it, they received it. When I needed immediate care when my lung collapsed, did I get it. YES. When my wife needed immediate care for both her C-sections, did she get it. YES When I broke my finger(as my most recent example) did I get immediate care, YES, was x-rayed, splinted and out in less than an hour. Was then referred to a Hand/Limb surgeon. Guess how long I waited. The next working day, but I decided to wait for the week after. Again, x-rayed and examined in less than an hour. Went back 3 weeks later, x-rayed and examined in less than an hour. Surgery was 50/50 on whether it would do anything, so I opted not to have it. How long would I have waited if I wanted it though, a day or two. Our bills, a big fat ZERO. This is just an example of the everyday care that 95% of Canadians enjoy everyday. Do we have to wait for a hip replacement, yes, but when you need immediate care our system is there. PERIOD!! You know Jack about our system PJ. I live it and see it everyday as part of my job. The horror stories you hear make up a VERY, VERY small % of Canadians experiences. Plus the fact they pale in comparison to how many Americans go without care, at all, because they can’t get insurance. Can’t afford the co-pays. Can’t afford the bill afterwards. Or go into bankruptcy to get their care. No Canadian goes through this. The ultimate in rationed care is never going to your doctor, never getting cancer treatment, never getting your hip replaced. Do you some research before you accuse me of blathering. Ancedotal evidence is all you people have.

Madhabber on February 17, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Madhabber: Reciprocate. Show us a study of how great and wonderful socialized medicine is in Canada. I do know people have come down to Seattle area hospitals for surgeries because the wait time in Canada was too darned long. I do know that a form of socialized medicine in the US, Kaiser Permanente, has tried to kill my mother at least once through an unwillingness to perform AMA recommended tests, and may be trying to do it again. Anecdotal evidence is allowed in court as long as you have 2 or more witnesses. I think we have that here. Is it possible that you are so close to a system that you cannot see it for what it is?? AND you do pay for it. TAXES, Bubba, TAXES!!

Driefromseattle on February 17, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Not a problem Drie. Here is a review of a number of studies comparing the results of the two systems. Link.

From the article:

We identified 38 studies comparing populations of patients in Canada and the United States. Studies addressed diverse problems, including cancer, coronary artery disease, chronic medical illnesses and surgical procedures. Of 10 studies that included extensive statistical adjustment and enrolled broad populations, 5 favoured Canada, 2 favoured the United States, and 3 showed equivalent or mixed results. Of 28 studies that failed one of these criteria, 9 favoured Canada, 3 favoured the United States, and 16 showed equivalent or mixed results. Overall, results for mortality favoured Canada (relative risk 0.95, 95% confidence interval 0.92-0.98, p= 0.002) but were very heterogeneous, and we failed to find convincing explanations for this heterogeneity. The only condition in which results consistently favoured one country was end-stage renal disease, in which Canadian patients fared better.

And to add to your comment. I know hundreds of people in Canada, and know no one who has gone to the U.S. for care. I also add, that I grew up 15 minutes from the border, and currently live an hour from the border. So access to the U.S. is a short drive away. Does this mean there hasn’t been some. Sure there have. But it accounts to less than 1/2 of 1% of our population who have. I have a link for that if you want it. I actually provide proof not blather. Pundits against Universal healthcare paint a picture that Canadians are flooding over the border, the facts don’t back it up.
And yes, I do know I pay for it in taxes, but our income tax rates are not that much more than those in the States. However, EVERY Canadian is covered from those taxes. I’ll never have to worry about losing my home to a hospital bill, nor will I ever have to worry about having health insurance if I lose my job.
You have to ask yourself a question, if the U.S. for profit system is so great, why is that no other country in the world wants to copy it?? Does the rest of the world have it wrong and the U.S. have it right??
As far as your provider, I’m sorry for your experience, but our system help save my mother’s life. Maybe you should move to Vancouver, because if a procedure is CMA approved, you get it.

Madhabber on February 17, 2009 at 3:47 PM