Video: A salute to Canadian health care

posted at 1:05 pm on February 16, 2009 by Allahpundit

It’s the socialized-medicine equivalent of that 12-year-old’s anti-abortion stemwinder: Nothing you haven’t heard before, but rarely will you hear it quite like this.

Dude, he’s the Canadian ‘Zo.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I found Steven Crowder several weeks back. Amusing, and right about a lot of things.

Enoxo on February 16, 2009 at 1:08 PM

He’s really funny. Gives you a new perspective on things we already know.
He is getting to Zo’s level of quality videos.

jencab on February 16, 2009 at 1:10 PM

LOL, I love this guy..his brother is funny too.

j0 on February 16, 2009 at 1:12 PM

As long as I get the same instant access to everything just as the politicians enjoy, I will champion national health care. I can have a private room at Bethesda to treat my hangnail, right?

Bishop on February 16, 2009 at 1:13 PM

The hyper editing almost gave me a conniption, but pretty good.

forest on February 16, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Very sharp, and a good contender for a series.

Two things: Better editing(less dead time on zingers that aren’t very good), and back off on the emphatic high-pitched shrill.

MadisonConservative on February 16, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Uncanny! He must have been at the same grungy basement germ-filled Me No Speak English blood lab I was at!!

Yep, every word is true. Also you don’t get cancer treatment til you’re almost dead. Just saying.

fivefeetoffury on February 16, 2009 at 1:15 PM

If the left loves the idea of socialized medicine, then by default they should stop screaming about the care our troops get at Walter Reed, when the political moment suits them.

(BTW – Walter Reed may have it’s issues, just like every other veteran’s hospital in the nation, but, speaking as someone who’s volunteered at VA hospitals and Vet Centers, I can tell you for a fact that the care they receive under a Republican presidency is better than the care they receive under a Democrat presidency. No hype – just a fact.)

Talismen on February 16, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Canadian dude for President.

HYTEAndy on February 16, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Canadian dude for President.

HYTEAndy on February 16, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Because he’s a better American than any Democrat.

HYTEAndy on February 16, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Wait, a rational explanation of why drug companies deserve profits and how Wal-Mart has had the biggest affect on the cost of drugs? Clearly, this is one of those oxymoronic “conservative thinkers” that I keep reading about elsewhere….you know, the ones that, by the very definition of being conservative, don’t have any intelligence.

mctowler on February 16, 2009 at 1:18 PM

In Canada your health care plan is: DON’T GET SICK !!

Love this guy!!

Maxx on February 16, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Big Hollywood has some great talent…..

TimTebowSavesAmerica on February 16, 2009 at 1:20 PM

The only bummer is when you’ve been paying into your insurance plan for six years and then you really get sick and your told , “Uhmmm yeah, we don’t cover that.”

Magnus on February 16, 2009 at 1:20 PM

It’s a Monty Python skit come true.

SKYFOX on February 16, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Obummer is really going to piss off a lot of people when they get told no they won’t be able to get treatment even though his healthcare is supposed to be for ‘everyone’.

Does his minions have their heads so buried that they don’t understand that the majority of our population will be seniors soon. They are the group that had good health care and now are going to be expected to understand that suffering is just a part of aging and they must contribute to the ‘benefit’ of America by giving up any treatment and accepting a ‘hopeless diagnosis. I can’t wait until this stuff hits the diapers…

Ltlgeneral64 on February 16, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Dude, he’s the Canadian ‘Zo.

True…and awesomely awesome.

Jaibones on February 16, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Like I have always said in the past, ” Access to a waiting list” for health care is NOT ” healthcare “.

tx2654 on February 16, 2009 at 1:26 PM

mctowler = Obummer minion…

enjoy it while it lasts because paybacks are going to be hell!

Ltlgeneral64 on February 16, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Funny how common sense makes so much damn sense.

aic4ever on February 16, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Um….nope. They gave him a pager, told him to go home and pack a bag, and they’d call him.

They did…6 freakin’ weeks later!!!!

What…where they hoping he’d pass on and they wouldn’t have to treat him? Wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

ladyingray on February 16, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Well I put it this way. My baby girl has some problems that make her severely underweight. She was on Medicaid for about 6 months when my husband lost his job until I found work and was able to get HI. They paid for every little test or specialist she had to go to. Awesome Pediatrician, great practice, Awesome hospital with great care. Never got turned down. I take her off Medicaid and put her on my new Health Insurance. Nightmare!

Can’t win for losing :(

On the other hand one of my inlaw is on medicaid for multiple problems. She has to go to a filthy disgusting hospital. She had an operation that might as well have been done by a butcher.

Magnus on February 16, 2009 at 1:34 PM

I have experienced Russian Medical Care.
God help us!

woodswalking1 on February 16, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Awesome! I think I’ll send this along to all my Canadian in-laws!

4shoes on February 16, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Very funny. Loved it:)

victoria330 on February 16, 2009 at 1:35 PM

They did…6 freakin’ weeks later!!!!

ladyingray on February 16, 2009 at 1:30 PM

That’s Horrible.
I would never want to be FORCED or have no choice but to have government health insurance. It’s been working soooo well in Massachusets!

Magnus on February 16, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Good message, good delivery.

jgapinoy on February 16, 2009 at 1:38 PM

He is good, Zo is better.

Tim Burton on February 16, 2009 at 1:41 PM

In the good old days, prices for medical visits were held down by competition in a free market. With most Americans having insurance, & many with free care, there is no free market any more, & that’s why everything is too expensive!
Is it an impossible dream that government will re-introduce the free-market into medical care?

jgapinoy on February 16, 2009 at 1:42 PM

I’d be interested to hear some reaction from med school students to the apparent future of American medicine. I have the feeling the enrollment numbers are going to go the way I suspect the military re-up numbers are going to go under Obama.

Patrick S on February 16, 2009 at 1:45 PM

The truth about Canadian medicare

Check this out:

This was a draft, originally from 2004…

(on the site for today – Feb 16- only.)

Paul Murphy on February 16, 2009 at 1:46 PM

As a Canadian born and raised, I’m from a far older generation than Steve, but he’s dead-on in his satire. Government control of healthcare is an adverse indicator of successful practice.
Americans: Just say, No.

Randy

williars on February 16, 2009 at 1:48 PM

In the course of our 17 year marriage we have had 5 different insurance companies. We have a child who has several different health issues that have required many tests and procedures over the years. This is an on-going problem. I have never ever been told by any of the 5 companies that a test or procedure the doctor wanted to do wasn’t going to be covered. The only procedure any member of our family ever had that wasn’t covered was surgery to correct vision and I totally didn’t expect that to be covered.

This video was funny and spot on the truth. I don’t want the government telling me when I can get into a doctor to have a test done for my child or if I can have a test done for my child. If I don’t like the insurance company I have, there are choices out there. There is only one government.

conservativemama on February 16, 2009 at 1:49 PM

That was very good. Hilarious!

Old Country Boy on February 16, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Liberals are making the argument that the healtcare provisions in the spendulous bill are only for electronic medical records. How can anyone believe that government intervention is going to end there?

txag92 on February 16, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Having grown up with socialist medicine, I can tell you that it has its good point and bad points.

Good points:
1/ Everyone gets treated.
2/ Lawsuits under control.

Bad points:
1/ High taxes
2/ Waiting lists (45 days for EMERGENCY heart surgery, new hip? 2 YEARS)
3/ “Qualified” doctors. (The guy who graduated last in his class from the university of Fiji is still qualified right????)
4/ Politicians go to the head of the line.
5/ You get assigned doctors.
6/ Crappy government mandated pay for medical workers.
7/ Government decides who gets what treatment.

Just a sample. All of the examples in brackets actualy happened to me or my extended family. The uncle died waiting for the “emergency” heart surgery.

sonofdy on February 16, 2009 at 1:52 PM

RE:A coworker’s father in law, who is Canadian, was told he needed immediate heart by-pass surgery. So did they rush him right to the ER?

I’m a dual-citizen American living in Canada, and this “comedian” is a complete a$$hat that nobody has ever heard of. I have had the best health care of my life here. Yeah the system is flawed but so is yours, i.e. where does ladyingray think she’ll get immediate surgery if her insurance, COBRA or HMO “plan” has run out or if she can’t afford it in the first place?

At least Canadian health care is not just for the Dick Cheney’s of the world.

Signed, Your worst nightmare…a Canadian with a vote in the USA.

Blueneck on February 16, 2009 at 1:53 PM

In Canada your health care plan is: DON’T GET SICK !!

It will be that way here soon, too.

-Dave

Dave R. on February 16, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Fu*king Communist Canadians and their commie health care! And their commie banking system “suspiciously” immune to the world meltdown. Whats with that? Fu*king Canadians, I hate them!
/A

BL@KBIRD on February 16, 2009 at 1:54 PM

fivefeetoffury on February 16, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Not only that, but you (or your drug plan, if you have one) has to pay for the part of the cancer treatment that isn’t delivered in a hospital’s cancer clinic. In some cases, this means people have to choose which treatment they take, when they have a choice, not based on which is likely to best for them but which one they can afford.

Even though the state spends billions upon billions upon billions of my and your tax dollars on health care.

ProfessorMiao on February 16, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Oh. Canada…

Eh?

ScottMcC on February 16, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Yes there are flaws to both systems. My guess is you have never had a major medical issue.

sonofdy on February 16, 2009 at 1:55 PM

At least Canadian health care is not just for the Dick Cheney’s of the world.

Blueneck on February 16, 2009 at 1:53 PM

I’m curious were rich Canadians go for medical treatment?

terryannonline on February 16, 2009 at 2:04 PM

I’m curious were rich Canadians go for medical treatment?

-cough- private clinics -cough-

sonofdy on February 16, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Blueneck on February 16, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Er… New York. My mother (insured) had surgery in suburban New York. Her roomate was a forty-something welfare recipient who had received emergency cancer surgery. I saw no difference in the level of care spent on either. If anything, the roomie had more care because her condition was more serious.

The large medical costs of the insured cover a lot of freebies for the un-insured here in the USA. Anyone who claims otherwise is peddling propaganda. But I knew where you were coming from by your ritualistic invocation of Dick Cheney as a bogeyman (and by rich-guy criteria, he’s not even all that rich).

Anton on February 16, 2009 at 2:07 PM

/A

BL@KBIRD on February 16, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Ahh..no Mr. Commie Conspiracy..our banks are not immune to world conditions. We just don’t make loans to people who cannot pay them, never have. That is why our banking system is not self-destructing.

And Please take your meds right away. I can send you some great discounted ones from our Commie pharmacies that Minnesota and Illinois use for their seniors.

Blueneck on February 16, 2009 at 2:09 PM

sonofdy on February 16, 2009 at 1:52 PM

I read your comments on MM and I think you’re hilarious. Unfortunately I can’t comment there so I thought I’d say that here.

Anyway, to your post, I had my hip replaced in 2002 (at the age of 31) and it will have to be replaced again in the next 5 – 10 years. I sure don’t want the government telling me whether or not this can occur.

txag92 on February 16, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Hahaha.

My parents live in Panama City Beach, Florida. Until a few years ago they had thousands of snowbirds from Canada there every winter. They packed the hospitals and doctors’ offices, trying to get caught up on their healthcare needs before heading back for the summer to the long waits and crappy care. Then the Canadian government figured out what they were doing and stopped paying for their medical treatments in the U.S. They stopped coming down almost immediately. Messed up the economy in PCB really badly for a while. My dad is a retired physician and he has hundreds of horror stories he heard from the Canadians.

rockmom on February 16, 2009 at 2:15 PM

My grandmother broke her hip and hobbled arround on it for 2 years before she got to the top of the list. She had the money but didn’t want to spend it on the private hospitals. Thanks txag92. If we don’t laugh, we will cry. But you may of notices I can also be “aggressive”. We will see.

sonofdy on February 16, 2009 at 2:18 PM

If Michael Steel reads this blog (and he probably does) hire this dude to do some GOP commercials for God’s sake.

RadioFreeUSA on February 16, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Look on the bright side. Obama is going to ‘reform’ health care. It will be real easy to get medical attention. If you’re over the age of 65 you don’t need any. You’re gonna die soon anyway, so why waste the time and money?

GarandFan on February 16, 2009 at 2:23 PM

The most amazing aspect of the left’s drive toward socialized medicine is a point this guy touched upon. That is that the American people are so stupid that that think that you can force drug price down to almost nothing in the U.S. and still have new drugs. They forget that Canada and other places can destroy new drug research and get away with it because they can lean on the U.S. But when the U.S. thinks it can do the same thing, we’re screwed! But you don’t read about this do you? All you hear about is how wonderful free health care for 47 million more people will be. It’s easy to talk like a Democrat as long as the public is lapping up the lies. But once we head down the one way path of government controlled health care, THEN the average American will understand this video. For now, it’s “too complicated” to understand his points. Besides, he’s lying, isn’t he?

BillCarson on February 16, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Drive through the parking lot of the biggest hospital in Fargo, ND, and take a look at the license plates: ND, Manitoba, Manitoba, ND, ND, Manitoba, ND, MN, Manitoba, ND, MN,….

RBMN on February 16, 2009 at 2:29 PM

I’m curious were rich Canadians go for medical treatment?

Across the border. Seattle, Detroit, Buffalo, Rochester, etc. Here in Western NY, Buffalo and Rochester have some great cancer treatment centers (Roswell Park), and the Canadians that can afford it come here. They know who to trust. They’re not stupid.

Look, those for and those against socialized medicine have their little anecdotes to support their positions. (I have plenty myself.) But, in my opinion, it comes down to whether or not you trust the government–the same government that “runs” Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, the Dept. of Education, Amtrak, etc., ad nauseum–to know what is best for you regarding health care.

Has the federal government proven itself worthy of your trust in any of the above mentioned areas? (Wasted money, cronyism, ballooning budgets, payoffs, corrupt lobbyists feeding corrupt politicians, etc.) If you say “yes,” you may need to lay off the gin and reconsider.

Pope Linus on February 16, 2009 at 2:32 PM

A side note, but related. The prison system in california now has to pay for gender re-assignment for inmates. This while giving IOU’s instead of tax returns, and a massive debt problem. YAY california.

sonofdy on February 16, 2009 at 2:38 PM

In brief: like all socialized programs, the Canadian “Health” “Care” “System” works on rationing.

The only way it can keep “working” is to hope that enough people die before getting treatment, so the System won’t have to “waste” its precious, rationed resources to treat them.

Obviously those in charge don’t put it this way or probably even consciously think that way. BUT that is, logically and realistically, the way the System actually functions, if you can call it that.

The System is focusing on managing the “queue” (waiting list) not on treating real people.

fivefeetoffury on February 16, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Steven should be the lead in a new documentary of the “real” Canadian healthcare system, entitled “Sicker-o.”

WheatGrinder on February 16, 2009 at 2:45 PM

One thing I always tell people about going to “universal health care” is that death rates will rise significantly. This is not just because of wait times for surgery and denial of the most expensive life-saving treatments. It is because of small things, like forcing the use of nurses to deliver most anesthesia. Anesthestics delivered by nurses cost far less than those delivered by trained M.D.s, and this is one of the first areas of “cost savings” that is found. Nurses have less training and expertise. Anesthetics are poisons that can kill you if the dosage is wrong, if your body chemistry is not right before the anesthetic is administered, and if your blood gas levels are not monitored properly during surgery. An improperly administered spinal anesthetic can make you a paraplegic for life. Most private health plans and Medicare allow you to insist on an M.D. to deliver your anesthetic. Medicaid doesn’t, and Canada doesn’t either. M.D.s are allowed on only the most complex and long procedures. So any “routine” surgery you get under national health care will almost certainly mean you will be anesthetized by a nurse with minimal training or expertise. You could go in for a cesarean section and end up a paraplegic because the nurse screwed up your spinal.

In addition, nurses are much less likely to insist on a delay in surgery of the patient’s blood work indicates that he is at risk of death if anesthetized. Delays cost money for additional nights in the hospital, and they mean rescheduling surgery which can be a problem for the surgeon and the hospital.

This is just one example of what awaits us.

rockmom on February 16, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Blueneck on February 16, 2009 at 1:53 PM

I don’t think emergency health care comparisons are where the complaints are.

Is there A “Canadian” health system that is consistent across all of Canada? What is the process for common things like a yearly check up or any other day to day things that keeps clinics busy in this country..I want a physical and cardiac stress tests done. How long do I wait? HEY!..I’m 57 yrs old and I need hip surgery. What obstacles might I run into? Are there co-pay requirements? How does age effect treatment priorities..how old are you, I only ask because, sometimes relatively young or middle aged folks haven’t yet experienced the responsiveness of the health care system…. I don’t know, I’m just asking.

Itchee Dryback on February 16, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Very funny. I live in Canada, and the health system is sometimes better than this video admits, but often worse. We give up a lot of quick access to catastrophic procedures, like the bypass mentioned above, and comfort procedures for the elderly like cataract surgery and joint replacement. In exchange, we can walk into any clinic and get treatment, often fairly quickly. We can also wait until the clinics are closed, and walk into an emergency room and wait for the same treatment–still for free. There’s no way this system is sustainable. In the states, you have to pay for minor procedures, but big stuff is often covered, somehow. (When I was recently out of University, in 1985, I had an emergency appendectomy, even though I was totally uncovered and working barely above minimum wage, without sick leave or benefits of any sort. My wife and I paid for that for years afterward, but it was my choice at the time to be uncovered.
Move to a Canadian system, and watch what you give up for “universal, free health care.”

brambo_42 on February 16, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Well, here’s what bothers me the most. When you visit a doctor, there is a PRIVACY agreement. My medical records are restricted to the doctor, his staff, and insurance; NOBODY ELSE. Anyone in government read HIPAA lately?
How dare they place themselves above HIPAA statutes without checking with ME (or you) first? Uh, we don’t even get to vote on this? Damn, these guys are ARROGANT and I may get sick just from thinking about it.

fullogas on February 16, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Here is an interesting link that I found and forwarded to my email list: http://freemarketcure.com/

red131 on February 16, 2009 at 2:53 PM

I think it was former Surgeon General Koop who said that people want their health care to be high-tech, cheap, and fast but only two out of three are possible in any system.

AaronGuzman on February 16, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Pope Linus on February 16, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Furthermore, once the government is responsible for healthcare, they have all the excuses they need to dictate what we can and can’t do in other parts of our life.

Bans on cigarettes and tasty fatty foods will just be the beginning.

Given enough time it’ll become government mandated exercise (fat people are unpatriotic!) and a sweet one-child policy (big families suck up more than their fair share of resources!).

People will say, “That’s crazy….Canada has had socialized medicine for X number of years and that hasn’t happened yet.” Perhaps they’re right – honestly, since I think socialized medicine is inevitable in the U.S., I hope they’re right. Still, I can’t help but think that their socialized medicine has been propped up by their citizen’s use of the U.S. medical system as a safety valve. Once the U.S. is just as resource limited and backed up as they are, the resource rationing will come in full force.

JadeNYU on February 16, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Blueneck on February 16, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Are they actually much cheaper or is the cost subsidized and money nicked from you and other people?

Itchee Dryback on February 16, 2009 at 2:55 PM

At least Canadian health care is not just for the Dick Cheney’s of the world.

Where will she get “immediate surgery?” Pretty much any hospital in the U.S., if the issue is truly an emergency.

Emergency rooms are clogged with ear infections, low-grade fevers, GI problems, etc. When an MI or stroke comes through, they go to the front of the line. They will be asked about insurance, but “self-pays” will still get emergency care.

Much of the cost will be written off, the patient will get retroactive Medicare, or will be in debt for the next 20 years- but will be alive.

How many of your “waiting-list” emergencies will survive?

cs89 on February 16, 2009 at 3:06 PM

I’m curious were rich Canadians go for medical treatment?

terryannonline on February 16, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Even rich Canadian Liberal party MP’s know were to go…

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t blame her for going. But it’s funny the Liberals want the rest of Canada to shut up and take the crappy health care.

Caper29 on February 16, 2009 at 3:09 PM

For any of you parents out there, this kid was the voice of Brain on Arthur.

amerpundit on February 16, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Whatever… He’s not so funny or insightful.

I’ll take Canada’s system any day over the American system. Richest country in the world and you can’t afford to get sick?? C’mon. I’ld vote Republican if I was living in the US but the Democrats are right on this one.

suntzuyou on February 16, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Kid looks pretty healthy to me.

JiangxiDad on February 16, 2009 at 3:37 PM

cough- private clinics -cough-

sonofdy on February 16, 2009 at 2:07 PM

And (don’t tell anyone this) – they’re clinics in the U.S.

uncivilized on February 16, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Nothing’s keeping you here. And who says that you can’t “afford to get sick” over here? By law, the poorest of the poor are provided with emergency care, which many use for run-of-the-mill ailments. You enter an emergency room, you get help.

So, should all health care be completely free? Is there anything at all in life worth having that’s free?

Pope Linus on February 16, 2009 at 3:40 PM

And (don’t tell anyone this) – they’re clinics in the U.S.

uncivilized on February 16, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Shh! Dude, now everyone’s gonna know about them.

amerpundit on February 16, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Richest country in the world and you can’t afford to get sick?? C’mon.

suntzuyou on February 16, 2009 at 3:34 PM

I’m sick right now. I went to the doctor last Friday and am currently on antibiotics. I ended up going to a walk-in clinic, paid a basic visit fee, and bought the medication at the doctor’s office. Who says I can’t afford to get sick? I’m hardly rich.

amerpundit on February 16, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Hey wouldn’t that clip qualify as a palette cleanser? Pretty funny. I’m happy with my health care but I realize not everybody has as good a plan as I do (I work for the state). I’m all for everyone getting better coverage but they need to have choices too. They have the right to a choice and the right for the government not to interfere in that choice.

scalleywag on February 16, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Not bad at all. Thanks for sharing, Hot Air. :)

itzWicks on February 16, 2009 at 3:56 PM

The problem I see with our health care is that doctors tend to overreact and order way too many tests just to cover themselves. Then 6 months go by and they want you to take them all over again as a followup. Got a headache? Let’s do a brain scan MRI!!!

scalleywag on February 16, 2009 at 3:56 PM

amerpundit on February 16, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Feel better soon!

scalleywag on February 16, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Great video. I live in France and work with a lot of British. Not all socialized health care is created equal. The situation in Canada and Britain seems to be much worse than what we have in France (many British people come to France to avoid long waiting periods in Britain – similar to Canadians coming to the US). What I have read indicates that the Obama/Pelosi/Reid version of socialized health care will be based on the British model where you have more administration bureaucrats than doctors and nurses. Not a good idea.

While the system in France seems to work better than the British system, it is still a flawed system. Almost all French people have complementary insurance to cover what is not covered by the national health insurance (Government insurance does not cover a private room, only pays about $20 toward a pair of glasses, etc.). We pay about $300 a month for the complementary insurance. The French government continues to try to chip away at the entitlements to forestall the collapse of the system. In France you now are required to go to a GP to get a referral to a specialist and you now have to pay $0.50 per “box” of medicine (that should really make people think twice about getting expensive medications that they don’t really need!).

The French government realizes that they cannot continue to cover the growing costs of socialized health care which is higher than it needs to be because since health care is “free”, people don’t hesitate to go to the emergency room at the hospital on evenings and weekends for things for which most American’s wouldn’t even bother to go to the GP.

The American health care system is far from perfect, but socialized medicine is not the solution if the goal is to provide quality health care. It is, of course, the solution if the goal is to give government more power and control over the lives of ordinary Americans.

Will political affiliation be one of the factors taken into consideration when the government bureaucrats decide whether or not you should receive treatment?

Ordinary American on February 16, 2009 at 4:06 PM

This video is 100% wrong! Anyone that believes anything in it has been brainwashed.

I’m in Canada and Americans are being bamboozled by lies about Canada’s healthcare. Are there certain problems? Yes, but they’re not about the health system, but rather the legal system. If you smoke and doctors operate on you knowing that you’re high risk, they will be liable. The only time they’re not liable is if you’re likely to die no matter what. Did this guy talk about any of that? No.

Are there long waiting lines? Yes. But does the guy tell you that it’s a PRIORITY waiting line? No. If you have something serious, you’ll get to see a doctor right away.

About drugs, the high price is because of the US. There is no reason to have such high prices for drugs and competition does nothing because they fix their prices. If competition is so bad, why does the US ban US citizens from buying Canadian drug imports? Walmart is a different ballgame. They don’t actually make drugs. So they can set the prices and rules they want. See the music industry. So this item in the video debunked.

About cures, nothing has been cured in a LONG time. And I’m betting if someone finds a cure to cancer or HIV, they’ll won’t be complaining.

The FDA doesn’t stop cures. There are no cures waiting on the shelves. This guy is an idiot. The reason drugs are sitting idle is because there’s already been too many drugs that kill people and have to be recalled because the FDA didn’t do their jobs.

Sorry to say, but this guy is a complete idiot. The healthcare system in Canada is the best thing to have ever happened to this country. The guy who made it happen, Tommy Douglas, is considered the greatest Canadian to have ever lived. You shouldn’t ask how bad Canadian healthcare is, but how great it is.

MrX on February 16, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Very happy with the way Big Hollywood is getting good people out there who might otherwise not be out there.

jimmy the notable on February 16, 2009 at 4:13 PM

scalleywag on February 16, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Thank you, scalley.

amerpundit on February 16, 2009 at 4:22 PM

MrX on February 16, 2009 at 4:09 PM

What about this story from a few weeks ago?

Apparently, you’re very short of ICU beds up there, if this story is true. Same with NICU, but I don’t have that link at my fingertips right now.

cs89 on February 16, 2009 at 4:24 PM

But if you had true competition, why in heaven’s name would you willingly fix your prices? Doesn’t that in some way defeat the purpose of actually competing against your competitors? The problem is that we don’t even have true competition in America on many pharmaceuticals.

Where have you been? In the past twenty years, we’ve seen treatments and vaccines for a variety of terminal ailments (just think about the new cervical cancer vaccine (whatever you think of the moral implications of requiring it for females)). That’s complete nonsense.

So why has Claude Castonguay, one of its chief architects, come out criticizing it and advocating some free market fixes?

Pope Linus on February 16, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Socialist medicine means long wait times to see specialists. I know from personal experience. I had to wait 6 months to see a nerve specialist and another three months to see a surgeon. In the end, it also means surgeries delayed, sometimes dangerously.

In exchange for these long soviet style waiting lines, everybody can walk into a clinic and see some doctor and get a prescription for a runny nose at no direct cost to them. Everybody loves a freebie. It makes for an easy sell.

What you get from socialized medicine comes at the expense of what you lose. Whether it is a good trade off depends on how sick you are, and if you are able to afford private insurance on your own. If you are, the American system is far better.

Ultimately it is a political consideration, not medical. The more people there are who have no medical coverage in a private system, the more support for socialized medicare. From a purely medical perspective, waiting forever to see a specialist, or waiting forever for surgery is never a good thing.

The socialized system is predicated on a numbers game. That’s the bet that there are many more people who just need basic medical care, and very few who need immediate surgery. For those that do, they lose out. But since they only have one vote, the socialized system bets that there is more to gain politically from offering mediocre medical care to everybody than from offering quick and efficient medical care to the majority.

keep the change on February 16, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Funny and true

Streecar on February 16, 2009 at 5:28 PM

I lived in Britain for 25 years under social medicine. I have lived in Canada for 44 years under social medicine. This man is just way out to lunch and NOT funny. I have to have my blood tested many times a year. Mostly after a 12-hour fast. I go to my local lab. Yes I do take a number, but the wait is never more than 5 to 10 minutes. They have some of the very best technicians who never leave a mark or bruising. The one thing I really differ with Republicans on – social medicine. America should be thoroughly ashamed being the richest and most powerful country in the World in that they do not have a social medicine program.

pgsteward on February 16, 2009 at 5:31 PM

PS to the above. I never have to pay for anything other than certain specialized tests such as prostrate, but that amounts to $30. As a senior citizen my drugs are almost free with an annual deductible of around $200. I saw a specialist last week. My wait to see him was a couple of weeks as the condition was not serious. FREE! I go to my doctor about once every second month. FREE! As you may guess, I have certain medical conditions the treatment for which is FREE! On the other hand, on a visit to Florida I contacted food poisoning spending a couple of hours in hospital. Cost? Over $12000/

pgsteward on February 16, 2009 at 5:43 PM

If you’re wealthy I have no doubt the US system is more advanced and efficient. If you’re not, like me, it’s nice to know if something happens I can go somewhere and get treated even if I have no way to pay for it.

I’d rather wait seven hours in a waiting room and see someone than be told immediately to f**ck off because I can’t pay the bill.

alex342 on February 16, 2009 at 6:15 PM

I got my cat in Canada – that’s the only thing I care to import.

Sam Adams on February 16, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Got a headache? Let’s do a brain scan MRI!!!

scalleywag on February 16, 2009 at 3:56 PM

My aunt had a headache and the doctor didn’t do a MRI. A year and a couple of Doctors later one did the MRI and told her if she’d seen him six months earlier he could have saved her. That’s quite a thing to take to your grave.
Be happy for your MRI.

In Canada, the system is provincially run with large amounts of federal funding with all the attendent strings attached. This give you a system where the feds say its a provincial responsibility and the province says they don’t have enough federal funding so nothing ever gets fixed.
The province sets doctor levels, hospital bed numbers, treatments covered etc.
If your dog needs and MRI tomorrow take him to a vet. If your mother needs one, take her to New York. Otherwise she’ll be waiting a while.
The most important thing to understand is none of this is free. Health care in Ontario is a payroll tax payed by employers. Plus you pay a Health Care Levey thats based on your income. Seniors, the poor, unemployed, self-employed, home-makers etc are payed for by the government. Health care in Ontario is about 50% of the provincial budget. This doesn’t cover dentistry, optometry, physiotherapy, drugs and other things I’m forgetting.
Frankly, it’s bankrupting the country.
You can go there if you want, but get used to standing in line.

Shannow on February 16, 2009 at 7:16 PM

If you are not in HEALTH they don’t CARE.

profitsbeard on February 16, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Dude!

Bitchin’ sleeves! Totally bitchin’ tattoos! Who did the arms?

pabarge on February 16, 2009 at 8:12 PM

He’s got a touch of Dennis Miller there.

Tzetzes on February 16, 2009 at 8:50 PM

alex342 on February 16, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Have you been inside an American ER in the past 5 years? Everywhere you look, there are signs (often English and Spanish) explaining that you have the right to be seen, and treated for an emergency condition, regardless of your ability to pay. Google EMTALA sometime.

You’ll get a bill if you don’t have insurance, and your credit will be affected if you can’t pay, don’t qualify for govt. services, and the hospital doesn’t write off part/all the charges. But you will be seen.

cs89 on February 16, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Patrick S on February 16, 2009 at 1:45

The US medical schools will see their enrollment go down (unless they lower their admission standards to less than the brightest), because the sacrifices people going into medicine have to make are too great for the reward at the end of the line. There will however always be plenty of foreign-educated doctors coming in to replace the shortage of doctors that will result here, because regardless of how bad our system becomes chances are it will be better than where they came from. That is what has happened in England and Canada. Remember a few years back that foreign doctor that tried to blow up the airport in Scotland? They mentioned in the news at the time the fact that they had a shortage of English doctors so had to import them from foreign countries.
The medical school issue does not even address the many doctors in their fifties who will retire rather than submit to government run healthcare.
You always get what you pay for, and if people want “free” healthcare they will get something, but chances are they won’t like what they will get.

txmomof6 on February 16, 2009 at 9:37 PM

psst, psst…guess what…you ARE paying for it, it just comes in the form of exorbitant taxes so you don’t realize you are paying for it. This tax burden crushes people financially and crushes the economic growth of the country and thereby their standard of living. Care to compare the pre-Obama GDP of either Canada or Europe and the US? Do you know what percentage of a Canadian’s paycheck is taken out in taxes before they even get it, and used to fund the government (the biggest component of which is their healthcare expenditures)? A liberal won’t mention that dirty little secret.

txmomof6 on February 16, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Apparently no one see’s / tags.

As a few have already mentioned, Americans have been sold a bill of goods about bad old Canadas evil health care system.

Here is a benefit no one considers much. In Canada most people don’t talk/worry about medical care or insurance. They don’t worry about being caught uncovered at an awkward moment. They never fear that their savings or home will have to go to cover Medical fees. There is a healthy lowering of stress right there for the entire population.

No system is perfect but Canada’s system is there for every Canadian, all the time. The boogey man stories are just that, stories to keep the AMA on it’s pedestal.

BL@KBIRD on February 16, 2009 at 10:48 PM