posted at 2:05 pm on February 16, 2009 by Allahpundit

Skip ahead to 1:45. Specter said the same thing this weekend and was met with utter incredulity by our commenters. I’m skeptical too, but not because I put it past most members of the Senate GOP caucus; if the leader of the party is willing to say they can’t be trusted, it’s safe to take him at his word. Rather, I just can’t figure out who the secret stimulus fans might be. See my analysis in the Specter post and feel free to offer theories.

The comic highlight here: Snowe’s invocation at 1:05 of the “original principles of the Republican party.” Which original GOP principle was it, I wonder, that calls for trillion-dollar Keynesian experiments in spending as a solution to recession? Note also how careful CBS was to include Collins’s salute to Margaret Chase Smith, who was “known for taking on her party.” The media’s Strange New Respect for these two ain’t that strange, is it?

Watch CBS Videos Online

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Last time I checked Gov. Palin is known for taking on her party as well. Yet the media despised her.

MarkTheGreat on February 16, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Senator Collins- you are a liar.

ExTex on February 16, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Senator Collins if you are sooooo brave name names! But I doubt you could name more than Specter and Snow

ordi on February 16, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Clueless in Maine……….

Rovin on February 16, 2009 at 2:09 PM

If you want to know what happens when a government attempts to stimulate the economy, you could just search on Bob Rae Recession, and find a perfect example as to how Keynesian plans fail utterly.

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on February 16, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Name names, or I don’t believe it. It’s simple after the fact to say “unknamed sources”, but if you don’t have the courage or intestinal fortitude to name them, then STFU.

todler on February 16, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Sometimes you have to put country first and party second.

The problem with Rinos is that they put themselves first Country Second and party somewhere in the 20s on the list.

William Amos on February 16, 2009 at 2:10 PM

One of the Judas three tries to drag other Republicans down with her!
SHOCKER!

christene on February 16, 2009 at 2:10 PM

yeah, sure.

hawkdriver on February 16, 2009 at 2:10 PM

I think she is lying. Anonymous people cant defend themselves….or call her a liar.

Besides, has anybody else noticed that she is as dumb as Nancy Pelosi?

The Wall on February 16, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Damage control … by distorting and lying fully underway.

Naturally the media is tripping all over themselves to give these traitors a chance to spread their lies and misinformation.

Nothing more than Snowejob.

darwin on February 16, 2009 at 2:10 PM

The list of RINO’s which supported the first crap sandwich is a good place to start.

FloatingRock on February 16, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Can we force the turncoat caucus from the party already?

WI-Hawk on February 16, 2009 at 2:10 PM

I don’t think they want anybody to remember their names , in a couple of years..

the_nile on February 16, 2009 at 2:11 PM

We’ve always like MCS on the left, she stood up to red baiting before anyone else would. They make them alright in Maine.

DeathToMediaHacks on February 16, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Hey Susan. BULLSHIT!

GarandFan on February 16, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Well, sen. Collins, those other R’s didn’t vote for this even if, and a big IF, they wanted to. You and your other two rino’s did.
L

letget on February 16, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Wow! What a hottie. With brains like that, the Dems didn’t even have to give her jello shots to get her to dance for them. Again…I’ve got $500 for whoever runs against her.

lm10001 on February 16, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Collins comes from a long line of Republicans I love. Country first!

President Obama on February 16, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Collins is full of $h!t.

OmahaConservative on February 16, 2009 at 2:12 PM

She and her like could care less what we think…uhbuma too

winston on February 16, 2009 at 2:13 PM

And I’ll bet you could find some democrats that said they wished they could have voted against it. So? How does this buy The Three Amigos cover?

Sue on February 16, 2009 at 2:13 PM

The press just got three new friends. Five if you count their imaginary friends also.

sherry on February 16, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Rather, I just can’t figure out who the secret stimulus fans might be.

I’d put money on Backdoor John McCain and Lindsey Grahamnesty, given his recent comment on nationalizing banks. I’m shocked McCain voted against it. Some here have speculated it’s because his seat is coming up in 2010. Maybe. Or maybe because there is no illegal immigrant bailout in there. He’s got to be kicking himself though; he’s not the beloved Maverick main man of the media anymore. They’re all cozying up to Specter. Well, the press is going to shower love on these 3 losers and more of the GOP in the Senate is going to defect; if not on this, then on other issues. That’s what gets us every time. Our worthless Representatives fall for the allure of good press. This puts us in a bind in 2012 though. With all of these reach across the aisle mavericks, who are we going to choose to be our candidate to lose horribly to Obama?

austinnelly on February 16, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Who is the Republican Senatorial Leader? If this was the Democrat Party their leader would be in front of cameras calling them out, the “renegades” would be too fearful to speak, and there would be hell to pay. That’s the difference between them and us these past years, between winners and losers.

Marcus on February 16, 2009 at 2:13 PM

The other senators were saying “vetoed” not “voted.”

WashJeff on February 16, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Well, I’m sure they will all say that, now that the bill is passed. “Hey, Barry, I wanted to vote for it, but I’m in a tight race. How’s about that dog park?”

PattyJ on February 16, 2009 at 2:13 PM

So basically, she is saying that in voting for an almost trillion dollar bill, she exhibited courage and common sense that the other Republicans lacked.

Riigghht.

SouthernRoots on February 16, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Maybe several DID WANT to vote for it, but were WISE enough not to. There are a lot of things I wish I could get away with do but thankfully have the self-restraint not to. The Weasely Three, not so much.

innominatus on February 16, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Tres Stooges
Curly Collins & Moe Snowe – Wouldn’t get elected in Maine if they were conservative

Larry Specter – Needs labor votes in PA.

It’s not about America, the GOP or the economy. He who brings home the bacon gets re-elected.

swede7 on February 16, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Political CYA.
RINO’s are getting good at it.

Don’t believe them.
They just took your money, your children’s money, and your children’s children’s money and gave it to the government.

Talismen on February 16, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Somewhere John McCain is jealously stewing.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on February 16, 2009 at 2:15 PM

MarkTheGreat on February 16, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Yeah, that’s a real stumper, isn’t it?

Kensington on February 16, 2009 at 2:15 PM

What is in the air/water/food in Maine that makes these senators so demented? If one is to be so brazenly “brave” then please step forward and SPEAK names. These 2 cowards sold-out their own country. May God have mercy on them, b/c the public won’t.

Ris4victory on February 16, 2009 at 2:15 PM

MarkTheGreat on February 16, 2009 at 2:08 PM

could not have said it better myself, the woman can’t win…

…..

Isn’t the point of “serving the people” voting the way your constituents want…we all know the calls were 9 to 1 against the Spendulus…

I would send a personal thank you to these traitors for mortgaging away my future for their own political gain…

alexraye on February 16, 2009 at 2:15 PM

What is Michael Steele doing about these traitors?

ctmom on February 16, 2009 at 2:16 PM

She’s a liar, plain and simple.

It’s high time the Maine republicans run real conservatives in their primaries, and show these RINOs the door.

Rebar on February 16, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Damage control and trying to tie into Newsweek’s judgement we are all socialists now.

Just like when you couldn’t decide the meaning of “perjury”, Senator? Much bigger word than “is”, so it must have been hard on your pea brain.

Hope wahtever you get out of this traitorous act is worth it to you.

Harry Schell on February 16, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Gag.

tree hugging sister on February 16, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Cover.

Firebird on February 16, 2009 at 2:16 PM

The list of these people is contained, along with John Kerry’s secret list of world leaders who wanted him to be elected President, in Al Gore’s lock box.

Patrick S on February 16, 2009 at 2:17 PM

LIAR

bill30097 on February 16, 2009 at 2:17 PM

I want to know the list of names that wanted to vote for it so we can primary their @sses. We should have let Susan Collins lose this past November. Now we are stuck with a RINO for 6 more years that is pretty much resolved to vote against us.

Levinite on February 16, 2009 at 2:17 PM

I think she is drunk on the new power she wields with the other two RINOS. Let’s face it, she knows they need her, and enjoys being in the middle of the pack. New England voters are dumber than dirt, and I know..live in this godforsaken region.

lamaestra57 on February 16, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Nah, I throw the bullshiite flag on this one.

thebookkeeper on February 16, 2009 at 2:17 PM

what happened to spectator saying he wouldn’t vote for the bill if it had the health care issues on it? can someone call him on that?

Milhouse on February 16, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Hot Potato, much, Susie?

Christien on February 16, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Collins comes from a long line of Republicans scumsuckers I love. Country Socialism first!

President Obama on February 16, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Don’t forget to swallow…..

Rovin on February 16, 2009 at 2:18 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on February 16, 2009 at 2:11 PM

With that ringing endorsement…

Esthier on February 16, 2009 at 2:18 PM

I have heard this on other contraversal votes when Bush was President with the dems. The Iraq war for example. I wonder if this isn’t just a common con job in the Senate. The con job being you go up to friends of yours and say “I think you are brave for voting for this I would but I can’t” The Senator doing the complimenting gets to keep alliance with the defector while in reality doesn’t agree with them at all. Think about this it is probabaly the only palatable thing on votes because what would be the alternative? Starting blood feuds with defectors. I think these comments might have been made but in reality they don’t have any substance and are only there to fool the defector for future negotiations within the party. The defector doesn’t give names because the person who gives the kudos would turn on them and then it really would be a blood feud and the defectors know that to. Just a dance we don’t think about maybe? Feel free to give me feedback this is my first day posting! Yeah!

Conan on February 16, 2009 at 2:19 PM

This sounds suspiciously like the “Aww, but why can’t I go to the party? Everyone else is going, too!” defense I would use with my parents when I was a teenager.

My parents would respond with “If everyone else jumped off a bridge, would you do, too?”, and that is also my response to (soon-to-be-former-) Senator Collins as well.

ExUrbanKevin on February 16, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Obviously Collins has no regard for the 75,000 emails she received – she said that number as if she were batting gnats away from her face.

tru2tx on February 16, 2009 at 2:19 PM

I call bullshit on this one.

Mel Martinez and George Voinovich are both relatively liberal Republicans. Obama carried their states last fall. They have huge foreclosure and unemployment problems in their states. They are both former mayors and are well aware of the budget problems that big cities are having. Yet both of them voted against Porkulus. It just so happens that neither is running for reelection next year. You figure it out.

rockmom on February 16, 2009 at 2:19 PM

snow job

redrock on February 16, 2009 at 2:20 PM

I’m throwing the red flag.

Upon further review, The 3 Sell Outs are full of excrement!

OT: Any folks in the Mesa AZ area going to show up & give Premier Obama a “welcome” on Wednesday?

VikingGoneWild on February 16, 2009 at 2:20 PM

I call BS on this one!

southernbellepolitics on February 16, 2009 at 2:21 PM

That’s what traitors always say afterwards. “Lots of people were with me, but I was the brave one.”

RBMN on February 16, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Wanting to do something
doing it
not the same thing
They went against the best interests of their county and party and must now pay for it.

LincolntheHun on February 16, 2009 at 2:22 PM

If its true, let all the rinos be exposed.

CaveCreek on February 16, 2009 at 2:22 PM

VikingGoneWild on February 16, 2009 at 2:20 PM

They will come from far and near. Someone is going to walk away with a new kitchen. It’s game show time!

sherry on February 16, 2009 at 2:24 PM

I won’t vote GOP ever again if this is the party’s mentality. I voted for McCain because I like Palin. Either the GOP gets some fiscal conservatives up in the ranks or I’ll go back to voting Libertarian.

Specter, Snowe, Collins: you can take your socialist crap and shove it straight up your arses.

Metro on February 16, 2009 at 2:24 PM

“The lurkers support me in e-mail.”

Jim Treacher on February 16, 2009 at 2:25 PM

What these three nitwits failed to realize is that for a brief time, they alone had the power to stop this farce, and force the dems to negotiate a bill that could have been reasonable and addressed the immediate issues. They threw that power away, and hence took the easy way out, by voting for the porkapalooza.

ICBM on February 16, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Geez, the content at TheSpendocrats.com sure does seem to contradict the fable she and Specter are spinning.

esperpento on February 16, 2009 at 2:25 PM

VikingGoneWild on February 16, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Maybe some one can show him how to jump cactus in a single bound……

Rovin on February 16, 2009 at 2:25 PM

I’m sure that at some point, all 3 will claim “I voted AGAINST it before I voted FOR it”…A bunch of boneheads who’ve mortgaged our country’s future.

Wouldn’t it be great if there was a requirement that any elected official must take/pass Econ 101 before running for public office? This whole crazy-ass porkulus ramrod fiasco bill is feeling like a Twilight Zone episode…

CatyMac on February 16, 2009 at 2:25 PM

“Collins: Other Republicans told me they wished they could have voted for the stimulus”

Name names, or I don’t believe it.
todler on February 16, 2009 at 2:09 PM

For one, there’s Senator Exidor from Boulder, CO.

ScottMcC on February 16, 2009 at 2:26 PM

I don’t know,, I think,, something like dog vomit comes to mind.

JellyToast on February 16, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Collins: Other Republicans Traitorous, commie leaning, Rinos told me they wished they could have voted for the stimulus

FIFTSB = (fixed it for the stinking b*)

Seriously.. Anyone with even a trace of the Founding Father’s vision would rather gouge their eyeballs out with a rusty fork than vote for this travesty. (ok, that is hyperbole… perhaps someone else’s eyeballs)

bullseye on February 16, 2009 at 2:26 PM

So,Tecumseh and the nasal rabbit think there were more turncoats in the Republican Party? Really? This bill had BIPARTISIAN opposition!
These two should be thrown out of the Party.

woodswalking1 on February 16, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Please people, this is such an obvious lie. They were too gutless to oppose Obama, but now they know they are exposed to the inevitable results of this economic anti-stimulus package and they are looking for cover any way they can get it. Moreover, they are doing it in a cowardly fashion that you would expect from people that caved so easily in the first place.

thirteen28 on February 16, 2009 at 2:28 PM

What they mean “other Republican’s” is Rino’s, such as themselves. But those Rino’s know if they did vote for it they would be out of their cushy job with great benefits, paid for by the American people, like the traitoris three will be if the people in their respective states have any brains.

Seeing Eye Dog on February 16, 2009 at 2:28 PM

She’s a lying sack of poo.

Laura in Maryland on February 16, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Under normal circumstances I say the Pubs should suck it up in order to keep the numerical advantage of the Dems to a minimum.

However, it can’t get any worse for the Pubs so it’s time to kick these RINO’s out of the party.

I don’t mind a big tent, but if these clowns believe that out of control goobermint spending is the solution to recessions, they’ve have no business in the party.

Kick em out NOW.

dantana@charter.net on February 16, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Crap sandwich condiment.

fogw on February 16, 2009 at 2:29 PM

That doesn’t excuse them for their votes. If they had only held out, Obama would have been forced to negotiate a better bill. At the very least, we could have really debated a better bill. There is no reason why this bill has to be passed by Presidents day. It could have waited another 30 days, if that meant a better bill.

They are cowards to hide behind this notion of, “Well others secretly wanted to do what I had the courage to do publically.”

RedSoxNation on February 16, 2009 at 2:30 PM

She’s just trying to keep her job. I really hope that the other republicans we against this whole piece of crap bill. There is no way to know who to believe anymore. This is why the country is the way it is. Who do you believe. It’s every person for themselves now, unless there are major changes.

Brat4life on February 16, 2009 at 2:30 PM

If Collins had any integrity at all, she would firmly defend her decision without bringing any one else into it, imaginary or not.

misslizzi on February 16, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Traitors lie, they always do..

Time to dump the riff raff.

tarpon on February 16, 2009 at 2:30 PM

What is Michael Steele and McConnell going to do about this?
I know McConnell doesn’t give a damn (he is as weak as it gets in leadership), but Steele should set the record straight and kick these fools out of the party. The core principle of fiscal responsibility and small government flew out of the window with their votes on this bill. These three hardly votes alongside republicans. They screwed their principles for pork.

jencab on February 16, 2009 at 2:30 PM

I find it humourus that all three of them believe they did the right thing. The reason I find it funny is because nobody could have read the thing in the time allowed. We will be reading it for a week or more and still not understand everything that was in this “stimulus” bill.

txaggie on February 16, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Anonymous sources, the best kind.

a capella on February 16, 2009 at 2:31 PM

First, when two people come up with the same story and no names, I am not buying it. Second, would the same people who congratulated these folks on their bravery encourage Sen. Gregg to take the Commerce position. This is all about being reelected in blue states and it is insulting to spin it any other way.

Cindy Munford on February 16, 2009 at 2:31 PM

These RINO’s are killing us…kick ‘em out now!

DCJeff on February 16, 2009 at 2:32 PM

CYA…yeah sure, everyone wanted this bill…a bill no one had ever read, a bill no one really knows what is in it.
My confusion is, why does anyone vote for a bill they have no idea what is in the bill? Why would any responsible official ever do that?
A question that will never be asked of her and others…Why did you vote for a bill you had no idea what was in it and what effect it will have? Why?

right2bright on February 16, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Maine and Pennsylvania are both deep blue states and I just see no way for the Porkulus 3 to stay in office being anything resembling a Republican.

McConnell will have to “grin and bear” them until 2010. Even if they only vote with the GOP 1 in 10 times, that’s better than them voting with us 0 out of 10 times, which would happen if we threw them out of the party.

But remember that one of Michael Steele’s big goals is to re-establish the GOP’s chops in New England and the upper Midwest. I predict primary challenges to the Porkulus 3 from libertarian-esque Republicans. I just hope the party is rapidly working on grooming some quality primary challengers for that purpose.

Outlander on February 16, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Oh Susan . . . go away.

rplat on February 16, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Let’s assume for a moment that she’s not lying.

That means that there were some of her colleagues that personally wanted to vote in favor of the stimulus but didn’t because that’s what the people they were representing asked them to do.

So, which of these are the reason I’m supposed to respect her so much:

A) She took the easy route voting in favor of a bill that had the support of a popular new president
B) She made it possible for her party to be completely locked out of having any input into the bill
C) She made it possible for a trillion dollar spending bill to be passed without even 24 hours to mull it over and discuss it
D) All of the above

JadeNYU on February 16, 2009 at 2:32 PM

A little Bullshit with my crap sandwich….

liquidflorian on February 16, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Yeah, more Republican’s would’ve voted for it IF IT DIDN’T HAVE PORK IN IT AND A LOT MORE TAX CUTS. Good God lady, you gave away the checkbook.

CDR M on February 16, 2009 at 2:34 PM

The only thing worse than a woman who pretends to be a lady when she isn’t is a woman who pretends to be a lady and is a liar to boot. You and Sphincter should stop insulting our intelligence, Miz Collins.

AubieJon on February 16, 2009 at 2:34 PM

There’s a book out called The Lexicon of Intentionally Ambigious Recommendations (LIAR), containing such gems as “He was fired with enthusiasm,” and “I cannot recommend him too highly.”

“They wish they could have voted for it” could mean “They wish their constituents would have allowed it” or “They wish their consciences would have allowed it.” The latter is no indictment; the former is.

njcommuter on February 16, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Has Collins figured out she doesn’t work for those “other” Pubs?

Bishop on February 16, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Maybe I’m being too optimistic, or something…but we all know that the Republicans would have overwhelmingly have loved to have voted for a stimulus plan, just not this piece of crap. So when they say that there were lots of other Republicans that wanted to vote for it, could it not be a conceptual comment, not saying there are lots of other RINOs that would have also liked to have voted for it?

Yeah, I can come up with a couple, but even McCain has been an anti-pork crusader for years, and everyone knows he would have LOVED to have voted for a stimulus.

lizzie beth on February 16, 2009 at 2:35 PM

jencab on February 16, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Senators aren’t going to go after other sitting Senators. It’s nauseating but it’s a fact. McConnell has pulled of some impressive parliamentary strategery since they became the minority, we will see if they were lucky breaks or if he actually knows what he is doing.

Cindy Munford on February 16, 2009 at 2:36 PM

I wish our party would go all brass knuckles on these turncoats. The gravity of their traitorous decision is going to afflict the country for generations. They should be treated accordingly. DOn’t speak to them. Don’t even look at these idiots. Treat them as the pariahs they should be.

AttilaTheHun on February 16, 2009 at 2:36 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on February 16, 2009 at 2:11 PM

And that state-run health care system in Maine named, ironically, “Dirigo” is also faring quite well.

Riiiiiight.[/Dr. Evil voice]

Tak_Bulgogi on February 16, 2009 at 2:37 PM

But, they didn’t.

What I’d really like to hear from you is that you really didn’t want to vote for it, but you did because…………

BacaDog on February 16, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Don’t give me that “original principles of the Republican party,” young lady!

texacalirose on February 16, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Holy Chit just on fox Kansas might be handing out IOU’s cause they don’t have the money for taxes.

tee866 on February 16, 2009 at 2:37 PM