Collins: Other Republicans told me they wished they could have voted for the stimulus

posted at 2:05 pm on February 16, 2009 by Allahpundit

Skip ahead to 1:45. Specter said the same thing this weekend and was met with utter incredulity by our commenters. I’m skeptical too, but not because I put it past most members of the Senate GOP caucus; if the leader of the party is willing to say they can’t be trusted, it’s safe to take him at his word. Rather, I just can’t figure out who the secret stimulus fans might be. See my analysis in the Specter post and feel free to offer theories.

The comic highlight here: Snowe’s invocation at 1:05 of the “original principles of the Republican party.” Which original GOP principle was it, I wonder, that calls for trillion-dollar Keynesian experiments in spending as a solution to recession? Note also how careful CBS was to include Collins’s salute to Margaret Chase Smith, who was “known for taking on her party.” The media’s Strange New Respect for these two ain’t that strange, is it?

Watch CBS Videos Online

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Huh, 75,000 e-mails and they’re still “in the right”. Snowe, Collins; please do us the courtesy next time of pretending to read the bill before selling us out. Hope those Washington cocktail parties are just fab.

These two should be thrown out of the Party.

woodswalking1 on February 16, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Angered mobs wielding pitchforks and torches come to mind. (Note to self, buy stock in pitchfork and torch companies.)

unwashed minion on February 17, 2009 at 1:13 AM

I downloaded the Bill (pdf file) as approved by Specter, Collins, and Snowe. It is impossible to read in one shot with full comprehension — and I doubt that the “heroic three” even tried. I sample paragraphs from time to time — an hour’s reading at one pass is about my limit — and my impression is that it was written by the delusionally insane. There may be merit somewhere, but I haven’t found it yet and the probability that I ever will is decreasing by the day. Every paragraph is full of loopholes. If it was designed for crooks to exploit, it couldn’t have been more carefully worded. Some honest people will try to make sense of the money that comes their way — but thousands and thousands of others will use it to enrich themselves at the expense of the taxpayer and future generations. There is NO leadership in this bill. There is NO coherent strategy. And the writing style is deliberately opaque so that what is there cannot be seen by the uneducated and the stupid. The USA is going to have to survive on a local basis. The writers of this bill and those who voted for it are unqualified to lead. Don’t take my word for it. Read the bill yourself.

donbury on February 17, 2009 at 1:15 AM

MELT THE PHONES AT THE RNC!!!

If Steele and the RNC fail to remove these TRAITORS from any duties as Republicans then I will NOT support the RNC, period!

I have told the RNC this and will continue to e-mail, phone and write. I urge EVERYONE to do the same. Having Snowe, Collins and Specter marked and listed as Republicans allows the Messiah to claim bi-partisan… to LIE! We need them REMOVED NOW! Let us lose three more seats, they do not vote for Republican causes anyway, they ignored MILLIONS of calls, e-mails and faxes. They IGNORED the will of the people.

ANYONE who runs against these three TRAITORS will get my support… the RNC and Steele are DEAD TO ME if they fail to remove Collins, Snowe and Specter!

Please let the RNC and Steele know your CUTTING THEM OFF from ALL funds until the CANCER IS REMOVED!!!

Stand up now folks!!! We are about to lose Talk Radio also because we are a VERY WEAK WUSSIFIED BIG TENT PARTY that has forsaken it’s Conservative roots, it’s honor of The Constitution and it’s will and gonads to FIGHT!!!

Mark Garnett on February 17, 2009 at 8:50 AM

I have never been so ashamed of my Senators. Collins/Snowe are praised for being moderates because they are Republicans (RINOs, really) from a blue state, but how exactly are they representing Mainers here? By voting to add billions in debt to the backs of people who live in a state with one of the highest tax rates in the country? Nice going.

AuH20 on February 17, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Specter and Collins probably got together and congratulated each other hence the “others” who commended them! or maybe it was a couple Democrat senators who they mistook for members of their own party since they appear to be confused regarding which party they belong to …
Collins is NO Margaret Chase Smith, she would not have voted for the stimulus.

Done That on February 17, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Two wars, a collapsing country and the gop play politics.

getalife on February 17, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Two wars, a collapsing country and the gop play politics democrats indulge in Chicago-style Pay-for-Play on a national level.

getalife on February 17, 2009 at 9:12 AM

FIFY Bub.

Guardian on February 17, 2009 at 9:29 AM

If their lips are moving, they’re lying…

thebronze on February 17, 2009 at 9:30 AM

These losers shouldn’t be in office for the fact that if they are willing to vote on something that they haven’t read means that they are not doing the job the people in their districts sent them to do. They weren’t sent to blindly go along with what someone else says is in the legislation, they were sent to evaluate and discern the value of legislation through their own review and assessment, not what someone else says is in it.

If they are too lazy or too disinterested to read it, then they are too old and complacent to be in office. Its time for a change and when primary season comes again I will support their challenger even though I don’t live in Maine or Pennsylvania.

belad on February 17, 2009 at 9:51 AM

“Other Republicans told me they wished they could have voted for the stimulus”

There was only that pesky detail of THE PEOPLE THAT SENT THEM TO WASHINGTON DIDN’T WANT THEM TO – BY 100 to 1.

marklmail on February 17, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Of course they did! John McCain, Miss Lindsay Grahm etc. all wanted this to pass along with Michael Steele! They are all RINOS! They love big government! They have been growing the government for the last 8 years under George Bush and this is a huge win for them!

C’mon! There are very few real conservatives left in the GOP and there are none left in the RNC! They are all big government guys! They are going to give you another big government RINO in 4 years…and you guys will be shilling for him again just like Rush and Hannity and Laura did for McCain…and then you will wonder why you lost again!!!

sabbott on February 17, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Boycott Maine

Losers.

ex-Democrat on February 17, 2009 at 10:07 AM

L.L. Bean….Maine.

LtE126 on February 17, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Mark Garnett on February 17, 2009 at 8:50 AM

I’m with ya. The trio of traitors need to be GONE from the Repubes NOW.

ex-Democrat on February 17, 2009 at 10:26 AM

L.L. Bean….Maine.

LtE126 on February 17, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Thanks. Going to their website now to tell customer service that I will NEVER buy from LL Bean as long as the (non)stimulus bill is in affect. Lobsters are dead to me too.

Later.

ex-Democrat on February 17, 2009 at 10:28 AM

That the three rat bastard traitors feel compelled to defend their treason by the “some others” defense tells me that they are somewhat shocked to find out just how much outrage there is for their actions. The porkulus was never a good idea and I find it hard to believe that there was a whole bunch of GOP Senators wishing they could sign on to the filthy liar’s destruction of the American dream.

highhopes on February 17, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Two wars, a collapsing country and the gop play politics.

getalife on February 17, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Really? It was Pelosi and the filthy criminals of the Democrat Party that refused any GOP input and demanded voting on the compromise before anybody had a chance to read it. It anybody is playing politics it is the filthy Democrats and the filthy liar in the White House. Serious economic issues and they refuse to include anybody outside their party in the discussions.

Just as well. The filthy liar owns this bad legislation and when it doesn’t work the backlash against the whole corrupt party will make 1994 look like a blip.

highhopes on February 17, 2009 at 10:44 AM

I do wish she would name names. Out ‘em all!

kens on February 17, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Other Republicans told me they wished they could have voted for the stimulus

I believe it. They were voting like socalists before the 06 elections.

Libertarian Joseph on February 17, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Boycott Maine. Losers.

I agree! And I’m from Maine! Not sure if a boycott will be felt where it’s supposed to be felt though. Collins and Snowball won’t feel a damn thing.

A good friend of mine, a conservative in Maine politics, knows these two chicks very well, and said the following of them:

“Collins is as conservative as she can be and get re-relected—according to her calculations. She advertises on the conservative website AMG and was the keynote speaker at an MHPC banquet. Snowe would never do those things.

Snowe is as liberal as she can be and get re-elected according to her calculations. She knows how to talk Republican in front of a Republican audience, but none of this palaver has the sligthtest influence on her voting.

Collins hires Republicans for her staff. About 90% of Snowe’s staffers are Democrats.

Both are “pragmatists” in a manner. Like most politicians their pragmatism is centered on getting themselves elected. Both like to think of themselves as “legislative craftsmen.” These kinds of “legislative craftsmen” are like locomotive engineers who take pride in stoking the boilers, greasing the gears and polishing up the big brass bell. They have no interest on where the RR tracks lead, about the long-term consequences of their “craftsmanship”—that would involve “ideology”. Mind you, they have no way of distinguishing principle from ideology. It is impossible to imagine on what principle they would ever sacrifice their political careers.

Both our senators accept that Maine is in a state of dependency on federal largesse and aim to extract what they can from the “stimulus” for the state by dickering over the details.”

ErinF on February 17, 2009 at 11:52 AM

“Republican’s said…” Give me a name or two and I might believe you. Otherwise, it’s just like an anonymous source. I don’t buy it.

Oink on February 17, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Along with LL Bean and lobsters, don’t go see the leaves this fall. They count on tourism dollars too.

Oink on February 17, 2009 at 12:08 PM

People complain about the stupidity of American voters, but how do expect the voter to make the right decision when both the candidate and the media are attempting are attempting to deceive them. I think we need, as a condition of holding office, to monitor every waking moment of an office holders life starting with the campaign. We can make every second available online, and show the highlights on the new reality channel C-SPAN. This system might not actually insure that we get politicians they mean what they say, but it would mean politicians would have to live what they say.

DFCtomm on February 17, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Whatever gets you through the night b**** (although I’d recommend hitting the bottle before bed to lying).

jarodea on February 17, 2009 at 12:54 PM

You can wiggle, squirm, and obfuscate Mrs. Collins, but whatever you have to say is NOT acceptable. I for one, will NOT let any of my Republican donated funds be used to help get you, Olympia Snowe, or Arlen Specter re-elected…EVER! All three of you are politically burned toast.

byteshredder on February 17, 2009 at 1:49 PM

This woman and her gal pal are liars.
They believe themselves to be superior to us mere mortals.
Pox on all three of their houses.

The people who voted for them should be ashamed for what they have done to the rest of us.

Delsa on February 17, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Liar.

Any “republican” that secretly wished to vote for the crap sandwich isn’t a conservative.

This is why we really do need a viable 3rd party.

Spiritk9 on February 17, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Collins you are a liar. You’re going down in history as an unattractive, stupid, lying sack of poop. Ahhh what a legacy for your kids.

UnEasyRider on February 17, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Collins: “Other Republicans told me they wished they could have voted for the stimulus”….

Either name names or recant you Canadian wannabe hoser..eh..

sirpatrick on February 17, 2009 at 5:56 PM

I’m going to vote dem next time around. At least then I know what devil I get with them.

scrubbiedude on February 18, 2009 at 8:23 AM

The “journalist” forgot to ask her if she read the bill she voted for.

ArgoNunya on February 18, 2009 at 9:53 AM