Borders’ Obamessiah moment

posted at 8:11 am on February 16, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

What section would a bookstore put some junior-reader biographies of Barack Obama?  A Borders store in Dallas found the perfect spot (via Mitch Berg and Psycmeister):

WND contacted Borders’ national office and got this response:

Borders corporate spokeswoman Ann Roman told WND there was no intention on the part of the staff to associate books about the Obamas with religion.

“We are a completely politically neutral organization,” she said. “As you can imagine we carry every political perspective, authors from both parties.

“What happened here is those books were for kids and they were put under an overarching sign. Our team did not mean to imply an inappropriate classification,” she said.

Maybe they didn’t have any childrens’ books for their religion section and they needed to fill the space.  After all, what book stores carry religious books?  Why, I’ve never seen anything like childrens’ Bibles or faith-based stories.

Or, maybe, some Borders employee is taking The One a weeeeeeee bit too seriously — as a lot of Americans have done over the last two years.

Update: Alternate explanation, from commenter Number 2: satire, poking fun at Obamalytes by classifying their adoration as a belief system.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

That’s what I was thinking: a wry attempt at satire.

irishspy on February 16, 2009 at 11:57 AM

All hail the Messiah… though I must say after his little tour of the country last week giving the people what they want…literally ..he is more Santa then Messiah…

alexraye on February 16, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Nope, I’d say that was just about right. Has he walked on water yet?

Dave M on February 16, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Dave M

No, but he washes with water. Just ask Biden.

SKYFOX on February 16, 2009 at 12:18 PM

I’d imagine it was a joke, and that some poor Borders employee is in big trouble.

Jim Treacher on February 16, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Riiiiiight. Anyone else remember what it was like to find a copy of Unfit for Command at a Borders?

phelps on February 16, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Actually, major bookstores (Borders included) carry lots of books on religious topics for children and adults. That’s why there’s an overarching sign that says “Religion”.

metrygirl on February 16, 2009 at 12:29 PM

I’m a former B&N bookseller. What will happen after those displays come down in a couple of weeks? All the unsold Obama books (and there will be PLENTY of them) will get tagged as remainders. You’ll then see stacks and stacks of them in the “Bargain Books” section in about three months or so, where they will stay for several more months before their inventory is zeroed-out and they’re returned to the distributor and eventually shipped out to the overstock stores.

Where they will sit and sit some more.

Gottafang on February 16, 2009 at 12:30 PM

I hate to post this, because I got a chuckle out of this image, but it’s very likely that this is a fake. I forwarded this to a friend of mine who is an expert on “fauxtography,” he he tells me he’s 100% sure that it’s a phony. According to him: “Tthose pixels at 90° contrary to the angle of the photo show someone cloned the image to erase what was there.”

davethe10r on February 16, 2009 at 12:37 PM

I’ve seen other images of the display. I think it’s real.

gmoonster on February 16, 2009 at 12:47 PM

azlibertarian on February 16, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Oh wow, that is SO cool! I MUST have a ChiaPrez, ha ha ha.

kg598301 on February 16, 2009 at 1:58 PM

phelps on February 16, 2009 at 12:28 PM

And they also kept “Obama Nation” by Jerome R. Corsi behind the counter so you couldn’t find it.

Knucklehead on February 16, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Get the kids while they are young and they will be closed to reason for years.

twofoot on February 16, 2009 at 2:43 PM

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again….
I liked them better when they were Athiests.

Libertah on February 16, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Dallas used to be a very Conservative city when I lived there in the eighties, been awhile since I was there, but I hear it’s becoming more looney all the time. This was not unintentional, someone there thought they could coax
a few young hearts into The One’s lair!

Susanboo on February 16, 2009 at 3:06 PM

davethe10r on February 16, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Don’t think so .. maybe some pixel problems from resizing and copying, but if you took a second to read the associated article, it’s sourced and check-able:

cgoode777 on February 16, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Obama’s revenge. Ignore at your peril.

Entelechy on February 16, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Has anyone seen a golden idol with a fiery furnace lingering around the White House? I thought for sure I would see one behind that podium on Inauguration Day.

darwinatridge on February 16, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Hell will not be hot enough for some of the Obama worshippers! I have had it with people being led around…allowing themselves to be led around like some little lost sheep! Get a life!

Eyvonne on February 16, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Having worked in a bookstore before (Books a Million) I know that they have lists that they have to go by when putting books on display, endcaps, etc. This was probably a joke. I do know that the shelves get very messy so it is often that the books get out of place and that you find books in places where the are not supposed to be such as very adult related material some how being found in the children’s section (aka playboy, etc). It is a constant struggle to keep the shelves straight.

rapunzel77 on February 16, 2009 at 6:12 PM

“I saw small blue ones of his inaugeral speech”

O dear, “Obama’s little blue book.” Is it going to be a requirement to wave them at Obama rallies next (ie. the little red books that were waved at Mao’s rallies)?

rapunzel77 on February 16, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Ok, one more Barnes & Noble anectode. I was purusing the magazine section and picked up the latest edition of Vogue magazine despite the fact that Michelle Obama was on the cover. I was looking at the latest clothes, shoes, etc. and was curious to see what the headline of the cover said about Mrs. Obama. I was shocked (I know I shouldn’t be with all of the MSM adoration over the Obamas that we have all endured over the past year) to see that the headline read: “Michelle Obama — the first lady the world has been waiting for.” I don’t know what the editors/contributers of Vogue have been putting in their lattes, but I highly doubt that the world has been waiting for Michelle Obama to be first lady. I searched for an explanation in the magazine that could possibly support that headline and all I could find was that she would be more inclusive. Is the magazine inferring that the Bushes didn’t allow blacks or other minorities into the White House? I was dumbfounded and just shook my head and stared in amazement!!

Callie C. on February 16, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Regrettably, I doubt that’s the explanation.

Most of the Borders stores I’ve been to across the country are staffed by people who are left-leaning… you can tell from the staff recommendations, as well as by the way that conservative books (or books about unpopular topics) are displayed.

Y-not on February 16, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Gee thanks alot Oprah! This all started with her mad school girl crush on Obama. I’d like to know what’s in it for her? Does anybody else feel like an idiot for watching her show, ever! I do, but never again. It’s time to stand up and do the right thing and speak out against this messiah crap. This whole thing is insane! Have all these people been in hiding that think it’s ok to think this way? A month has gone by and all crazy cuts loose! geez, WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!

jeaneeinabottle on February 16, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Has anyone read the book in that photograph. It is religious!!

Here are some photos of the images and captions.

A month ago I blogged about parents of a California school who are outraged that this is REQUIRED READING at their kids’ school. They tried to talk with the principal and supervisor and got no where. I tried to contact them and also got no where. Haven’t seen anyone report this but me.

Dr B on February 16, 2009 at 7:08 PM

wow, tinfoil hat conservatives don’t need real conspiracies, they just make them up as they go along. The libruls are just evil,scheming satanists and there gonna take over the world and install Sharia Law. Obama is the manchurian candidate,secret Muslim that wasn’t even born in this country. Jerome Corsi sez its so! And you folks wonder why your out of power. Obama’s popularity just kills you guys. Just give in to the dark side, its nice over here.

athensboy on February 16, 2009 at 8:04 PM

That is an awful miscategorization. Obama should be found in the “Occult” section.

progressoverpeace on February 16, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Heh, I hang out at that section. I don’t want him there!

You guys have to read this…

Just came back from San Diego…PIT-HOU-SD-and back. You know how Juan Williams calls the airport sections the “Obamatrons?” Well yep, they are…sick sick sick to watch. Even at Sam Goody’s he has a corner with cardboard cutter and all devoted to him!!!!! WTH?

I was almost the whole trip, really, sick of seeing this guy everywhere; every book shop, news store, bookstore…there’s not much “New Age”, “Occult” and whatnot wherever I go so that was my curse. On my getaway, I had to deal with THAT.

I bought the book that the English guy wrote about Obama and what is coming to us will not be good–well I grabbed the last one off the shelf. The other one, about the media, was the last one off the rack.

The Obama book section, stock full of books and in the front section, main entrance. If so, how come I didn’t see people grabbing them everywhere I went to?

Saw Ann Coulter’s; no BOR, no Sean, not much conservatism. Oh and they are under biography section not necessarily on the political section which made it for me harder to find. It was pleasant to see Laura Ingraham’s at the HOU airport FOR A CHANGE.

I do chuckle at the fact that at Infowars they made Bush so evil, so devilish…now they are just changing their direction to Obama and I guess realizing that NOW is when real doom is coming.

*off to watch Sean*

ProudPalinFan on February 16, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Has anyone read the book in that photograph. It is religious!!

Here are some photos of the images and captions.
Dr B on February 16, 2009 at 7:08 PM

That’s horrible. How they can get away with it is beyond me. Yet more the reason to protect the kids from these Obamanites.

FontanaConservative on February 16, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Wow talk about truth in advertising..

jcila on February 16, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Frankly I find it more disturbing that the ONE has only been in office 25 days (though it seems like a lifetime), he has broken every promise he ever made and they have a whole childrens SECTION filled with Obama books?

I have heard of “fast” response propaganda but WOW!

Is there a Reagan section?

GunRunner on February 16, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Stay up really late, and take a look at all the infomercials for this crap now. It’s disgusting.

Knucklehead on February 16, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Yeah the memorabilia stuff. It’s selling now because people will by it. Years from now it will still be worthless. Just like “collectable” Pokemon stuff. Same category.

Because everyone has one it will never be valuable.

I’m reminded of my father who worked at Kodak. He has one of their original cameras for sale. Really cool and it still works. But ebay one online and you’ll see that their worth $30 tops. Why? Kodak sold so many of them they are not hard to come by.

The Obama memorabilia marketers are laughing all the way to the bank.

shick on February 16, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Yeeee!! At last it is acknowledged!

branger on February 16, 2009 at 10:45 PM

I think that if I were a parent in L.A. with a kid who had to read that book, I might just take a picture of that display then confront the school regarding the separation of Church and State. To back up the idea that Obamanism is in fact a religion, I would also take a copy of the youtube vid of Henrietta Hughes hawking for another handout (the con that she is) with all of the accompanying adulation from the rest of the crowd. I’d compare that with a vid of the crowd’s response to the Dali Lama, James Jones, or some other cult figure and draw a comparison. I’m glad my daughter is about to graduate from college and her deprogramming is just about complete!

Driefromseattle on February 16, 2009 at 11:36 PM

Obama knows…he knows when you’re sleeping, he knows when you’re awake- he knows when you’ve been bad or good…in all 57 states.

8-track-vinyl on February 17, 2009 at 1:00 AM

Get books at half price stores, thrift stores, etc. Refuse to patronize the propaganda purveyors.

Skipped the NBA all star game this year when heard about o’s half-time nonsense.

Change the channel every time o’s face appears or anyone mentions his name.

Just my little ways to express myself, but would love to see millions do the same. The propaganda merchants would either change or go out of business – either one is fine with me.

say no to o on February 17, 2009 at 1:09 AM

Most of this nation is high on hopium. Can’t wait to see them come down off their high.

This is making me a bit queezey

M-14 2go on February 17, 2009 at 6:37 AM

I’ve been on this earth for 52 years. I know Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is a friend of mine and you, Obama, are NO JESUS.

Frankly, Obama is a turd in pretty wrapping.

dthorny on February 17, 2009 at 7:35 AM

Right. And I’m the Easter Bunny.

And about the Obama-memorabilia… it’s too bad someone hasn’t come out with a commemorative barf bag. Dud would make a fortune — God knows I’ve needed one since, oh, around Nov. 4th…

CMS2004 on February 17, 2009 at 9:08 AM

The stimulus bill can be considered the first draft of Obamassiah’s “Bible”

Cybergeezer on February 17, 2009 at 12:06 PM