Lindsey Graham: We might have to nationalize the banks

posted at 2:00 pm on February 15, 2009 by Allahpundit

It’s fitting that Maxine “Let’s nationalize the oil industry” Waters is there for the occasion. “We’ve come a long way” indeed.

Here’s the Roubini op-ed to which Stephanopoulos refers at the beginning. Quote:

Basically, we’re all Swedes now. We have used all our bullets, and the boogeyman is still coming. Let’s pull out the bazooka and be done with it.

Exit question: How’s Michael Steele going to explain to Glenn Beck six months from now why the Senate GOP voted for socialism?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

In 1933, slavemason Franklin D. Roosevelt confiscated the gold and silver of the American people thereby making them slaves of Pharaoh.

Also

“It was then that I issued the proclamation providing for the national bank holiday, and this was the first step in the Government’s reconstruction of our financial and economic fabric.”

Enter the New Deal: Redistribution and Confiscation of Wealth

Kini on February 15, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Plan A ===== work locally on re-creating or reviving a conservative Republican Party which can take 40 or more seats in the House and enough Senate seats in 2010 to put a Dead Stop to Hussien and the DemoThug Party

Plan B ======= deployed the first time any government flunkie used force against an American citizen in areas like the NaziFairness Doctrine or denying gun ownership, etc. Plan B means taking ‘direct action’ against actual persons.

I’m speaking in code here, but even if you went to public school in California or Minnesota, you know what I mean.

Plan B means a civil war. I’m getting ready for that possibility, and I advise everyone here to start making some Very Hard Decisions if Plan A don’t work and /or Plan B is forced upon us

These are the times that try men’s Souls…….

Janos Hunyadi on February 15, 2009 at 4:43 PM

I suggest that If they ever try to take our guns we have a gun owners reunion somewhere in the middle of the country and they can come get them all at one time. Inasmuch as taking our guns would constitute a gross infringement upon our constitutional rights, and demonstrate the governments total indifference to the constitution, I suspect we’ll most likely resist . . . with great enthusiasm.

rplat on February 15, 2009 at 4:47 PM

That buffoonette Maxine Watters is a characature of that black lady on the Onion.

She is almost giddy about the prospect of nationalization.

TheSitRep on February 15, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Enter the new Deal:Redistrubtion and Confiscation of Wealth

Kini on Feb 15,2009 at 4:47PM.

Kini:BINGO!

Thats exactly what it is,’getevenism withism’,they want
exactly that,

“IT OUR TIME”,”YES WE CAN”,and “WE WILL”!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is um..ah..how shall I..um say this,ah..getting even,
ah,all the way..um..back..to..ah..1800′s,ah..shoot,ah..um..
I meant..ah,since ah the 30′s,40′s,50′s,and um especially..
the 60′s,um..we,shoot..um..ah..I meant I,ah want to um,
readress ah..um..those transgessions,ah..um..I mean,the
mistakes..ah..um..ah of the past,um..right the wrongs of
ah..um..America,and I um ah,am just ah..um..getting..ah
started..ah..um………………..(Snark)!:)

canopfor on February 15, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Crap,thats ah..um..transgressions!A spelling boo boo!

canopfor on February 15, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Oh noes! The banks have deficits! We need to have the federal government take over and fix… Oh, wait.

Tuning Spork on February 15, 2009 at 5:17 PM

The communist have taken over both parties.

Johan Klaus on February 15, 2009 at 5:18 PM

canopfor on February 15, 2009 at 5:09 PM
I am afraid. Very afraid.

Sad and depressed.

Kini on February 15, 2009 at 5:19 PM

So why did we ever bother with that Constitution thing? What was the point of that?

Kensington on February 15, 2009 at 5:20 PM

I honestly hope i am totally proven WRONG
But i know i wont..

7 Steps for the democrats TAKE OVER of
The united states of america

Assuming democrats got a minority candidate elected
and assumiing they control both houses
and most important
Assumming all opposition is silenced using either hate criome laws or charges of RACISM

1. obama immidiatly releases all of the islamic nazis
and in effect stops the war on ismalic terror

2. obama finishes taking over the banks to track all purchases and forces all companies to do whatever the dems demand

3. obama (with dems help) build a new “cough cough” emergency internment camp inside the usa” For emergencies
(this is almost underway)

4. stop all resistance by removing their communications (fairness doctrine) – this is also underway right now

5. then CREATE an emergency to declare martial law.
obamas right hand henchman loves this idea. Not yet but its comming

6. then take away all guns from the us citizens

7. those who resist are thrown into the newly build
Democratic re-education camps

We are right now almost on step 4 of a 7 step process to destroy the united states of america
and to imprision those who resist..

What is scarey is all of those peace loving liberals
Already are the eyes and ears of the democrats..

I hate to say this but we need to begin organizing now..
not later..

If i am wrong ok then the worst case is we all begin to talk to one another

If i am right thought
this may be the only way left to stop the dems plans to destroy our nation

jcila on February 15, 2009 at 5:21 PM

jcila on February 15, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Alex…is that u…

jerrytbg on February 15, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Step One – Nationalize the banks. As the economic world leader, all countries join in. All become joined at the hip.

Step Two – Continue making idiot banking decisions based on politically correct social engineering.

Step Three – Nationalized bank reaches critical mass due to step two.

Step Four – Currency becomes absolutely worthless. Need a substitute for currency.

Step Five – Some “genius” suggests each person get a unique code imprinted on their person (already have the technology) that links to their personal account of “work rendered”. Everyone loves the idea of a universal, no-kidding substitute for cash based on real value (to the quasi “world state”).

Step Six – Those who refuse to take the mark are branded enemies of the state, and have to be dealt with…

Starting to sound familiar?

warriorlawyer on February 15, 2009 at 5:26 PM

You socialists are paranoid.

There are too many banks to socialize.

We are not Sweden, we are a superpower that world economies depend on.

Do you realize how bad w screwed up the economy now? Yes, worst than daddy but the last people we need to listen to about our economy is your party.

Just hope the Clinton team and the new President can fix it.

getalife on February 15, 2009 at 5:27 PM

It’s really discouraging that Republicans don’t understand free enterprise better. I’m a moderate Republican, but this socialist insanity makes me strident. Why don’t the Republican politicians at least try to support limited government and free enterprise?

thuja on February 15, 2009 at 5:28 PM

getalife on February 15, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Now I know you’re a plant…radish I’d say…

jerrytbg on February 15, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Term limits would be nice about now. Will never happen though.

squidly on February 15, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Starting to sound familiar?

warriorlawyer on February 15, 2009 at 5:26 PM

just in time for the MAHDI to raise his wounded head…

uh no never heeard of it… ;-)

right4life on February 15, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Term limits would be nice about now. Will never happen though.

squidly on February 15, 2009 at 5:35 PM

You mean term limits or “term limits”?

CherokeeJack on February 15, 2009 at 5:36 PM

If our government decides to put value to everything that is ours or compromise our basic rights forget calling it Socialism and move it into Left Wing Fascism. The fear of “not getting the Stimulus right” will become “We will make it right because we say it’s right”. Choice is nothing if you are not allowed to choose anything else. This is when America becomes Obamica.

alternative failures on February 15, 2009 at 5:45 PM

This is when America becomes Obamica.

alternative failures on February 15, 2009 at 5:45 PM

there should be no doubts that we are now the USS of ameriKKKa a fascist state…just like china!

right4life on February 15, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Great Exit Question and the first thing I thought of after reading the headline. I had just regained a smidgeon of trust for these jokers and then this goober opens his yap.

XWing5 on February 15, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Just hope the Clinton team and the new President can fix it.

getalife on February 15, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Umm the GOP took over the congress in 1994 and was soon after that the Budget was balanced with the GOP threating to shut down the government if fixes werent put in place.

I dare the democrats to threaten to shut down the government.

William Amos on February 15, 2009 at 5:58 PM

If they Nationalize the Banks that will not be good. We will be screwed. That won’t be good for what is left of America.

sheebe on February 15, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Just hope the Clinton team and the new President can fix it.

getalife on February 15, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Keep drinking your Kool Aid dreamer. You must be kidding, or you are that stupid. Yep, you are that stupid.

sheebe on February 15, 2009 at 6:01 PM

But what if the bazooka doesn’t work? Brink out the nukes?

Why don’t we do nothing and see if that works? Too sensible, too cheap?

jimmy the notable on February 15, 2009 at 6:01 PM

I swear, I’m moving to Kosovo or something, where people still remember what rule under Communism was like, and they are much more likely to actually make efforts to preserve the markets.

jimmy the notable on February 15, 2009 at 6:02 PM

jimmy the notable on February 15, 2009 at 6:02 PM

sheebe on February 15, 2009 at 6:05 PM

sheebe on February 15, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Exactly. There’s that flow chart that’s around here occasionally.

1) From Bondage to spiritual faith;
2) From spiritual faith to great courage;
3) From courage to liberty;
4) From liberty to abundance;
5) From abundance to complacency;
6) From complacency to apathy;
7) From apathy to dependence;
8) From dependence back into bondage.

If we’re really at step 5 or 6 (or 7!), maybe my energy would be better spent in a place that it as at step 3 or 4.

jimmy the notable on February 15, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Of course, I could just move to Montana or Utah or one of those states that still values fiscal responsibility.

jimmy the notable on February 15, 2009 at 6:14 PM

getalife on February 15, 2009 at 5:27 PM
Now I know you’re a plant…radish I’d say…

jerrytbg on February 15, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Watermelon – Green on the outside but red on the inside

bill30097 on February 15, 2009 at 6:15 PM

BUY MORE AMMO

bill30097 on February 15, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Janos Hunyadi on February 15, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Save your criticism of California. I’ll wager there is no Stanford University in your neck of the woods.

Otherwise your points are noted.

FireBlogger on February 15, 2009 at 6:33 PM

I keep having to remind myself that we have a free and independent press protected by the Constitution who’s job it is to inform the public against abuses and political social engineering…………..

…………. whew, I was almost getting scared there for a moment.

(I know, I keep saying it……
………… but it keeps me busy whilst preparing for what is to come.)

Seven Percent Solution on February 15, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Let the banks fail, insure deposits, and smaller banks will take up the slack, period. The taxpayer has to go bust with these boondoggle banks to limit the damage or we get a decade or more of stagnation or even worse an America that is normalised to 10-15% unemployment.

Theworldisnotenough on February 15, 2009 at 6:39 PM

The rape of our nation has started and the lemmings are in charge. Lindsey Graham is a gutless coward who would sell his mother for the right price. We are leadership in one of the worst economic downturns our government has ever created.

volsense on February 15, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Its clear now, we have about 21 months left to purge the transnational progressives, like Graham, from the GOP, take back the party and save our Nation. We must take back the House, the Senate or both in 2010. We have no option. DD

Darvin Dowdy on February 15, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Without researching it, I suspect I know who Maxine Waters’s constituents are.

Even so. Can a majority of them be so stupid that they’d send this nitwit to Congress? She’s an absolute idiot.

BuckeyeSam on February 15, 2009 at 2:53 PM

I live in her district. Last I checked there were four Republicans in the district and I’m one of them.

Most of these people are not paying attention to what’s going on and only care about lip service. But don’t pretend as if people in “other districts” are any better informed about concepts like nationalization and its import, because I know better.

baldilocks on February 15, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Lindsey Gramnesty needs to f off!!

Sick of the little bastard. Period.

tickleddragon on February 15, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Why is Lindsay “RINO with a Capital R” Graham so quick to say we are going to have to nationalize the banks?

I thought the Spendulus Plan that he and his fellow RINOites were oh so quick to approve of less than a few days ago was suppose to fix EVERYTHING!

I mean, B.O. hasn’t even signed the darn thing yet and guys like Graham are already predicting gloom and doom!

What happened to Hope and Change, Linds?

pilamaye on February 15, 2009 at 7:12 PM

pilamaye on February 15, 2009 at 7:12 PM

why must you be so hatefull and racist?

angryed on February 15, 2009 at 7:21 PM

I wish this RINO lived in flyoverland so I could vote against him.

flyoverland on February 15, 2009 at 7:31 PM

right4life on February 15, 2009 at 5:50 PM

So does this mean that Rev. Wright was right? If so, he should be jumping in our foxhole real soon.

platypus on February 15, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Kensington on February 15, 2009 at 5:20 PM

According to the self-described Constitutional scholar Barry Obama (who has never published a single scholarly article on the Constitution), the problem with the U.S. Constitution is that it is “a charter of negative rights.”

If Barry’s brilliant ancestors had been around to help our intellectually-deficient Founding Fathers back in the 18th century (instead of herding goats in Kenya), they would have added a section of “positive” rights to the Constitution.

For example, they would no doubt have included the “right” to own a house, whether you can afford one or not. This section would have explained that if you purchase a home you can’t afford and then default on your mortgage contract, you have the right to require other taxpayers (and their kids and grandkids) to pay down the principal on your mortgage loan and have the government force your bank to lower your interest payments to an amount you can afford. (You’ll be hearing a lot more from the Obama administration about this “right” in the coming weeks).

Isn’t it lucky that we have Obama’s “first-rate intellect” in the White House to help us correct all those mistakes our idiot Founding Fathers made when they drafted our Constitution? It’s a miracle that this country has managed to muddle through for the past two centuries or so without the benefit of Obama’s genius. Thank goodness he’s here now to fix all the errors and omissions by our Founders that allowed us to become the greatest, most successful, most innovative, most powerful, most envied nation on earth.

AZCoyote on February 15, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Ah, Lindsey Grahamnesty, the gift that keeps on giving. Telling the bigots, and now the bankers, to shut up. Stick that knife in deep Lindsay. Maybe you can run against Arlen Specter for the GOP nomination in 2012. GOP: We don’t throw away our garbage. We eat it.

austinnelly on February 15, 2009 at 8:18 PM

GRAHAM-SPECTOR 2012!

Hell needs leaders, too!

profitsbeard on February 15, 2009 at 8:32 PM

Chuck Schumer is Larry King’s son.

Travis1 on February 15, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Does this mean that Lindsey Grahamnesty is getting a new nickname?

darwin-t on February 15, 2009 at 8:51 PM

They know what it is like to thirst for freedom, and to make something of themselves. Great point, that woke me up.”

My most patriotic and industrious students are those from Eastern Europe, Romania in particular. They know a good country when they see it, and live it.

PattyJ on February 15, 2009 at 8:52 PM

But Wolf Blitzer is Larry King’s youngest son. Both have done very well on the cringe level scale of life. Lindsay Graham has become an idiot.

Travis1 on February 15, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Graham is among the RINOs that must be thrown out of office before Barry O leads us over the cliff.

-Dave

Dave R. on February 15, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Miss GrAmnesty is a leading member of the current GOP! Nice! For those of you members of the GOP, enjoy! I left the party 6 years ago! Until nitwits like this are minority members, I shall not return!

sabbott on February 16, 2009 at 4:27 AM

Graham should be tossed into the Republican party’s dumpster.

{^_^}

herself on February 16, 2009 at 5:51 AM

Lemme first say I think it’s a horrible idea to nationalize any of our financial institutions, period. Even worse that we created likes of fannie and freddie.

BUT suppose that in their insanity, the Dems do manage to nationalize those banks they “infused capital” into.

In Alabama, we have REGIONS BANK, who took bailout cash. But we also have many many other strong local banks who are thriving simply BECAUSE they didn’t take bailout cash.

IF the Dems are going to take over the big banks, I simply will keep my money in vehicles my local bank is using, and I personally will keep an eye on what my money is in and how it’s being used. If the government wants to issue credit card with the CITI logo on them and keep interest rates in a sensible category, heck I might even get one.

I feel sorry for everyone who has 401K’s stuck with those major banks though, that’s what the dems are really after. I think they see the piles of REAL MONEY sitting in those banks as their solution to the social security financing crisis of which no one speaks.

Jason Coleman on February 16, 2009 at 12:07 PM

What I would say to Graham is this.

Maxine and you should start dating each other. You sure think alike and talk alike! Or maybe he should join the Obama cabinet. Would anyone really notice? Just one more dummy in a big group of dummies

jerseyjoe99982002 on February 16, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Sometimes, Graham is lucid and at other times, I really think he has lost his mind!

Delsa on February 16, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Graham, we might have to fire you…

sonofdy on February 16, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Lindsey – go home.
Leave the GOP.

Talismen on February 16, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I’m reminded of a caller to the Dr. Laura show several years ago. Essentially this caller said that though his principles led him to oppose abortion, if his unmarried daughter got pregnant, he would pay for her abortion. Dr. Laura, as I recall, simply replied that in that case he really didn’t have any principles.

That caller’s belief that he can be principled and unprincipled about the same thing at the same time pretty much sums up how our leaders think. Principles are things to be abandoned whenever convenient. President Bush (43), says with a straight face, “I’ve abandoned free-market principles to save the free-market system.” The primary defender of the Christian faith in England, Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury, is perfectly at ease with Islamification of his once Christian nation. And now REPUBLICAN Lindsey Graham says the banks should be nationalized. What, to save them from themselves? Because the government will do such a better job of running them? What is happening here? Has the world gone completely mad? Or has cowardice become the character trait du jour?

So Cal Jim on February 16, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Question: When banks are all more or less govt owned, will conservative churches be able to borrow money without abandoning their moral standards?

Akzed on February 16, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Lindsey Graham …..just another in a long list of Rino`s

I didn`t waste my vote on Zero or McPain in 2008. I proudly voted for Ronald Reagan !!

whyyeseyec on February 16, 2009 at 3:40 PM

There are too many banks to socialize.

Apparently you don’t realize our banking system is pyramid shaped. If you nationalize the three big ones at the top, you nationalize them all as they are in control of the little banks’ money. Regional banks get their money somewhere? Guess where? Who does your credit union sell your mortgage to? You guessed it, a big bank.

We are not Sweden, we are a superpower that world economies depend on.

Actually, we have become dependent on the world buying and carrying our debt. What happens when our bonds are worthless because we have monetized our debt (which they are talking about doing)? Other nations that buy our debt are also doing massive idiotic spending bills like this. The world is drowning itself in debt.

But yes, you’re right, the US Economy sneezes and the world economy gets a cold. If Obama and the Dems give it cancer, what then does that mean for the world?

PastorJon on February 16, 2009 at 4:42 PM

This is gonna be worst than the 70′s
Maybe the younger generation will realize the liberals dropped way to much acid in the 60′s
And vote conservative 2010/2012

scootertrash on February 16, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Why not nationalize the banks? – ignore at your peril.

Entelechy on February 16, 2009 at 5:24 PM

AZCoyote on February 15, 2009 at 8:02 PM

The Constitution is only “negative” toward the government. It says what the Gederal Gov’t CAN’T do. Everything else belongs to the states and the people (as individuals).

plymouthacclaim on February 16, 2009 at 6:21 PM

As a senior citizen, I no longer wake up in the morning in the country I served and believed in all these years. I am conservative in nature and do not trust any of the current members of our government. I believe we have already gone over the edge to socialism. Sadly, it was started by the party that told us they would fight for our capitalist system. Writing and calling these idiots has proven to be a waste of time. Waiting for a new million(s) man march to DC.

hillbilly on February 16, 2009 at 6:46 PM

This is gonna be worst than the 70’s

It’s probably gonna be worse than the 30′s.

True_King on February 16, 2009 at 7:42 PM

We might have to run in some Sarah Palin replacements for these Socialists on both sides of the isle.
First we need to knock off the propaganda machines that put these knuckle heads on TV, NYT front page.

JayTee on February 16, 2009 at 7:50 PM

The only problem is that he thinks there is one.

John Deaux on February 16, 2009 at 8:14 PM

I think it’s time for ol’ Lindsey to find a new job. His RINO ways have only contributed to the mess we are in now…

eanax on February 17, 2009 at 3:44 AM

Graham may be right. Throwing more TARP money at the banks may be doing nothing but wasting money and postponing the inevitable.

AnninCA on February 17, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Well Lindsey. We bigots will just have to vote you out. Or impeach you. Something we never would have thought of just 2 years ago.

Signed,
One who doesn’t want amnesty for illegal aliens (aka Bigot)

kens on February 17, 2009 at 11:59 AM