DBD: Any Bravehearticans out there?

posted at 9:47 am on February 15, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Hot Air readers know that I’m a big fan of Day by Day, the conservative cartoon created by Chris Muir, and today he offers one of his best entries.  Chris borrows from Braveheart today to wonder if Republicans feel like fighting a rising tide of statist economic politics:

To be fair, the Republicans did do a remarkable job in fighting Porkulus, the first step towards the “state allocated bed”; out of 219 members of Congress, only 3 Republicans voted to support it. Unfortunately, it was the three that counted in the Senate, but given the amount of political pressure in this economic crisis, Republican leadership did a good job of holding the line.

But Chris’ point goes beyond Capitol Hill.  If we expect to regain ground in the midterms, we need to start organizing now, committing to candidates, and putting in some hard work.  Twitter helps, but it doesn’t replace door-knocking, phone-calling, and fundraising.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Trent1289 on February 15, 2009 at 10:22 AM

The reason I say fight for the House is that Conservatism as a political philosophy works best at the local level. And yes, the numbers may appear to be against us, but on the other hand the Senate gets us squishes like Arlen Specter.

What’s the Eco-Freak motto? Think globally, act locally? Well, let’s turn their pablum against them and start winning locally. My dream is in 3 years Barack Obama won’t be able to go on one of his campaign escapism tours out of the White House becaues of the booing crowds.

JohnTant on February 15, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Who is the GOP version of Robert the Bruce?
Bishop on February 15, 2009 at 10:12 AM

It has to be Specter. Friggin turncoat.

bryan2369 on February 15, 2009 at 7:22 PM

QUIZLINGS the lot of them !!!!!!!!!

Col.John Wm. Reed on February 15, 2009 at 7:32 PM

There’s something we can do right now that ‘they’ can’t stop us from doing: begin a movement to default on all new federal debt. Let’s see ‘em implement Porkulus if all their sources of money have run screaming.

This is exactly like putting an ad in the paper warning local businesses you’ll no longer be responsible for your spouse’s debts.

PersonFromPorlock on February 15, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Who is the GOP version of Robert the Bruce?
Bishop on February 15, 2009 at 10:12 AM

It has to be Specter. Friggin turncoat.

bryan2369 on February 15, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Just remember that R The B eventually led the Scottish to defeat the English and established a free Scotland that lasted for centuries.

Frozen Tex on February 15, 2009 at 8:52 PM

It has to be Specter. Friggin turncoat.

bryan2369 on February 15, 2009 at 7:22 PM

One man’s turncoat is another man’s maverick. Be nice to Specter. You may be cajoled into voting for him as your GOP nominee someday. GOP: We don’t throw away our garbage. We eat it. Specter 2012.

austinnelly on February 15, 2009 at 9:02 PM

What’s the point of this questionairre. Will you eventually reveal you have tons of money and therefore have a better understanding of the topic. That’s pretty elitist isn’t it?

Have you ever held a job in the private sector?
Thankfully only to pay bills during school.

DeathToMediaHacks on February 15, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Don’t get worked up, I promise it was not a gotcha kind of question. I do believe it is better to hear war stories from a veteran who was there as opposed to a kid who looked it up on wikipedia. Just like to know someone’s frame of reference. So if I understand you last response correctly, you currently work in some sort of government position?

And no I don’t make much more than you, and I am a dirty Southerner.

ClassicCon on February 15, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Study the damn history before you make a fool of yourself.

Have you ever held a job in the private sector?

Thankfully only to pay bills during school.

DeathToMediaHacks

Considering his lack of real world experience and probable youth it’s easy to see why DTMH equates “study” with knowledge. We’ve got a Stephen Fowler in training.

Hey there Death, I studied it and lived it. You’re clueless.

Do you think Marxism is some kind of joke? It’s one of the most potent socio/political forces on earth. Communism has had a strong presence in the black community from W.E.B. DuBoise at the turn of the 19th century to today. Many of the most important organizations of the CRM were firmly communist at their foundation; Stokely Carmichael and SNCC, Huey Newton and Eldridge Cleaver of the Black Panther Party and many others.

That’s the truth. It’s not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion. Have you read my favorite, Ralph Ellison’s “The Invisible Man”. Our protagonist is drawn to the Marxist vision of justice and equality. I’m reminded of a fine elderly man who lived in Seattle on Pike St. It was around ’69 or ’70. Charles owned a motel. A well-maintained piece of property. Everyone figured he was one of the richest men in the neighborhood but he just happened to be a strident communist. I was quite young then but he took time to discuss these matters with me in some detail. He was an influential member of a communist organization in the community. At this time the communists in the black community as well as the Weathermen were Maoist. The older SDS white folks I knew still were getting contacts and money from Moscow. Well, you get the point. Should I believe you or my own lying eyes?

BTW, I can’t let slide your laughable repetitions of “right wing” racists. Excuse me, they were all Democrats. It was Ike that sent in the troops. It was a Republican SCOTUS that overturned the Separate but Equal concept of discrimination and Republican votes that passed the Civil Rights Act. Your “right wing” racists included The Conscience of the Senate, Robert Byrd and the Ol’ Country Lawyer, Sam Ervin.

I suggest you beware of letting fly with youthful exuberance at the expense of your credibility.

rcl on February 15, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Twitter? The GOP actually offered to Twitter? Good grief! Can you imagine Ronald Reagan offering to Twitter! Men don’t twitter! They also don’t text! They don’t use the camera on their cell phones! These two features were put on a cell phone to sell them to 14 year old school girls! Men barely use their cell phones…and this is only because someone else called them. And the conversation is always very short!

sabbott on February 16, 2009 at 4:33 AM

. . . It was Ike that sent in the troops. It was a Republican SCOTUS that overturned the Separate but Equal concept of discrimination and Republican votes that passed the Civil Rights Act. Your “right wing” racists included The Conscience of the Senate, Robert Byrd and the Ol’ Country Lawyer, Sam Ervin.

rcl on February 15, 2009 at 11:15 PM

It has always been the modus operandi of the radical Left (of various flavors) to co-opt good and worthwhile causes (like civil rights), to infiltrate positive movements and turn them toward the goals of the Communists. Unfortunately, the Left has been so successful at dominating university departments and the public schools that they have been able to write the staid old, button-down Republicans out of history and give all the credit to the radicals. How many of the youth of today know that all the opposition to black civil rights came from southern Democrats?

Great post, rci.

MrLynn on February 16, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Just what the Founders warned us against: a monarchial class.
Kennedys begetting Kennedys. Booshes begetting Booshes. Klintoons begetting Klintoons.
Let’s roll.
ex-Democrat on February 15, 2009 at 12:24 PM

One of the primary tenets of the 1993 Contract with America was Term Limits. Somehow it got lost in the shuffle. Well, I think it’s time to revive the idea. The Founding Fathers opposed the idea of a permanent political class, and the one we have now is even more dangerous because of the vast sums of money it controls.

Lets revive the movement for a Congressional Term Limits Amendment to the Constitution. I suggest 10 years (five terms) for the House; 18 years (three terms) for the Senate. That’s long enough to develop some expertise; short enough to send ‘em back to the farm.

MrLynn on February 16, 2009 at 9:10 AM

sabbott on February 16, 2009 at 4:33 AM

Ditto!

What the heck is Twitter, anyway?

MrLynn on February 16, 2009 at 9:12 AM

DeathToMediaHacks on February 15, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Clearly racism was part of the movement that opposed civil rights. I’ll take the “Chinese” position and say it’s still too early to know whether the civil rights movement was the correct thing to do.

As far as “Communist” influence in the civil rights movement goes, sure, they had changed names and were now the “New Left”, which basically translates to “We believe everything the Communists believe only we think we can implement it better and without those icky gulags”. Distinction without a difference, as the saying goes.

venividivici on February 16, 2009 at 9:34 AM

The “transparency” Pres Obama talked about is going to have to come from the GOP. If anyone’s going to be shining a light on the process, the way gov’t works, it’s going to be us.

A lot of good organizing tips can be found at Newt’s American Solutions site: http://www.americansolutions.com/.

CLaFarge on February 16, 2009 at 12:29 PM

I have wondered the same thing this cartoonist portrays many times over the last few months. If I thought they would answer me, I’d take the message to the people via Rush, Hannity, etc…..by calling and asking each one this question: “When do we have the courage to decide that it is time to do more than talk?”

We are the proverbial frog in the pot, and we are slowly boiling to death in this socialist soup.

I have great respect for Michelle, Rush and Hannity( and many others), but I believe in my heart that the time for talking is over, and the time for protesting(at the very least) the demise of our Liberty is at hand.

I’ll stand with anyone, anywhere that will defend Liberty before it’s all gone. People say I should stay out of it. Lay low. Ignore what’s going on – but they are all admittedly thankful when I ask them where they would be if Jefferson, Adams, Washington and Henry had followed such advice.

Long live Liberty and those who would defend it. Shall we talk about saving it forever? What will we tell our children when they ask why we became a socialist nation? That we did all we could with our computers and our faxes? Let us protest this evil until the leftists can’t turn on a TV or walk down the street without knowing that Liberty-loving Americans will not take this lying down. I hope some are with me, but if not…..I will speak, act and stand alone. I honestly believe in freedom that much and I can only hope that Liberty can overcome.

OwlorNothing on February 16, 2009 at 1:12 PM