Michael Steele: You have no reason to trust us at this point

posted at 5:08 pm on February 14, 2009 by Allahpundit

“Us” meaning the GOP, of course. I appreciate his willingness to beat himself up in the name of regaining the public’s trust, but, er, is the man of Steele being perhaps a bit too self-deprecating here? Even Beck’s taken aback by the brutal candor of it (but in a good way!).

Exit question: Why’s Beck yelling at him about “marketing”? What else can Steele do except sell the message? If you want to complain to someone about living the principles, call Arlen Specter.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Honesty is important…It will make our holding the line much more legit. It makes each lie by obama and his goons that much more pathetic and absurd.

Good wins in the end…I believe that.

tomas on February 14, 2009 at 8:07 PM

“jerrytbg on February 14, 2009 at 8:06 PM”

RWR would have CREDIBLY mocked t.a.r.p., would have deftly mocked rev. wright, would have properly utilized [and not undercut nor subjected her to those stupid interviews nor about a 1/2 dozen other screwups] Saracuda, and would have got ~290 e.v.s …

Buckaroo on February 14, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Saw this LIVE! YEAH!
Leadership! YEAH!
TRUTH! YEAH!
Humility! YEAH YEAH YEAH!

And I LOVE me some Glenn getting REAL answers from politicians YEAH!!!!

GLENN GLENN GLENN!

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on February 14, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Why must your side pretend that Dem voters all are lazy, no job having, low lifes when that’s just not even close to the truth.
DeathToMediaHacks on February 14, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Not all …just most. The reality is though that yes Dem voters are far more friendly to low lifes with no jobs. That is a fact. So you wonder why.

Jamson64 on February 14, 2009 at 8:16 PM

jerrytbg on February 14, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Its hard to say but Barack’s juggernaut was not as big as the media has portrayed it to be. As I said earlier Obama didn’t get that many more votes than Kerry and McCain lost some Bush states with fewer votes than Bush got. Having said that Reagan would have easily bested Obama in the debates and he was a far better speaker than McCain. Reagan connected with people in a way McCain has never been able to do and had been doing so for a very long time. McCain had a muddled incoherent message most of his campaign and the only reason we got stuck with him was a few open primaries in several key states.

goat on February 14, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Buckaroo,
All well and true if you keep Palin in the equation, she made it competitive…
But if it was Pawlenty (sp), or anyone else, the guilt vote, the voter fraud…
The numbers would have been far different.

jerrytbg on February 14, 2009 at 8:19 PM

One attribute the leftards will always have over conservatives: they love this government stuff.

They love learning from government workers.

They love listening to government media.

They love government-financed public service ads.

They love government handouts.

They love government jobs.

They love running for government so they create more government.

I have family and friends who ARE these people.

The Founder Fathers knew all this and the danger of all this and that’s they came up with a Constitution and Bill of Rights.

These were the be the protection for those of us not enamored with Big Tyrannical Government. This was to protect us even if people we personally loathed got into office.

Trouble is: the people we loathe are now in office and they don’t get two twits about the Constitution.

Our final line of defense is the 2nd Amendment and even that is not sacrosanct to these people. Why? Because they know it checks their power.

The one leetle problem the moonbats, leftists, commies, fascists (in other words: the Democrats) did not count on is an evil force that only a nation based upon God and Country (big C) could defeat.

It’s happening now in Europe, the British Isles, Asia, Africa, Canada ….. the evil is isslam.

Isslam will steamroll the p*ssy power mongers like Obama, Rahm, Soros, Piglosi, Reid in due time.

There are now isslamic training camps in 22 U.S. states. Do you think those welfare Mainers and Henrietta Hughes’ and Sphincter’s slush-fund docs at N.I.H are going to stop them?

Let’s roll.

ex-Democrat on February 14, 2009 at 8:20 PM

goat,
Reagan and the “o” both had oratory skills that are second to none in modern politics…
Lest we all forget that comparatively speaking, even adjusted for inflation, the “o” had more money than anybody ever before!
I know I’m stretching it, the premise, but the fix, so to speak, was in and I doubt the Gipper could have overcome it…imho

jerrytbg on February 14, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Buckaroo on February 14, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Before you ridicule TARP to much you need to see this post over at Gateway Pundit. There is a big difference in what TARP is intended to do and this latest porkfest so I would not equate the two by any means. I think Reagan would have supported TARP if he had been faced with a similar situation.

goat on February 14, 2009 at 8:32 PM

jerrytbg on February 14, 2009 at 8:30 PM

The main difference is that Reagan’s had real substance and lines that are memorable today, Obama’s are delivered well but contain nothing but empty rhetoric about hope, change and the failed policies of the last eight years. The only thing he offers are all the failed policies of the last 70 years.

goat on February 14, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Here’s an interesting take on part of why TARP was necessary…
When McCain suspended his campaign it was just after this…
Now… who has the ability to take that much cash out of the system ….ummm…
These were money market accts or liquid assets parked in banks…
Pension funds?….Unions…ding ding ding…Certainly made me think…the fix.

jerrytbg on February 14, 2009 at 8:46 PM

goat on February 14, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Agreed…however…the education sys in this country is soooo bad…we saw it ourselves…these people didn’t know what they were voting for…

jerrytbg on February 14, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Jerry, good point, I had not thought about the unions. Its the same thing I linked to from Gateway Pundit.

goat on February 14, 2009 at 8:52 PM

They still don’t know who they voted for, Jennifer Rubin has a couple good posts up over at Contentions on just that.

goat on February 14, 2009 at 8:55 PM

I don’t know her site…give me a link…

jerrytbg on February 14, 2009 at 8:58 PM

yea, the way I understood it most governments buy out t-bills and bonds…
half a trillion dollars sitting in banks????
Just waiting fof the right moment to pull it out…
I’ll bet the FED and the FDIC know exactly who did it…
I’d love to see the activity sheets fo those Pension Mgrs…

jerrytbg on February 14, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Jerry, its one of the best conservative blogs out there, its run by Commentary magazine, anyway here’s a link.

goat on February 14, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Republicans should not have taken voters for granted. They are paying the price now, a minority party in the wilderness. Similarly, husbands should not take wives for granted.

Happy Valentine’s Day

There is a price to be paid.

And my guess is Obama is about to learn that lesson too. And the Democratic Party will re-learn the lesson.

Mr. Joe on February 14, 2009 at 9:14 PM

goat,

ah yes i’ve been there before…and i may have also read her before…i’ll call it a senior moment ;)

jerrytbg on February 14, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Insert Sam Kinison scream here. Can Mr. Steele please talk to some of our Repulicans in the California state legistlature who are about to assist in passing the most horribly taxing budget in the history of the union?
Increases income tax
Increases gas tax
increases car registration tax
Increases sales tax
cuts child tax credit by 60%

And, taxes your taxes. That’s right. Add up all your taxes you pay to Ahhhnold and add a tax on that amount.

Want a list of who they are? Go here and see their heads impaled on fence posts.

kurtzz3 on February 14, 2009 at 9:41 PM

I’ve been mailing the GOP notes in their pre-paid envelopes on their solicitation letters for the last 6 months why I don’t support the party anymore. Got three more THIS WEEK! Took out my red sharpie once again and cost the party of McCain, Martinez, and a bunch of other sell-outs $1.26 to let me complain. Bleed them until they are dry.
I wonder if Steele ever sees the faxes or notes that come in? Does anyone know if I glue 10 pennies on it if they have to pay extra postage for it?
And yes, I leave my name and address on the sheet. I pray they call me…..

JeffinOrlando on February 14, 2009 at 9:46 PM

I agree with Glenn Beck that most conservatives and Republicans know conservative principles and are waiting for the GOP to return to its roots but you cannot assume that everybody knows every aspect of conservative philosophy and principles. So with that in mind here are 10 suggestions for Michael Steele to rebuild the GOP:

1) First acknowledge reality: it is what it is-Obama did NOT win in a landslide. Obama won only 28 states and only by 7.2% and McCain lost 4 states or 73 EV where he lost by less than 5% in each state. McCain also amassed close to 60m votes. And this despite the GOP fielding a weak candidate (McCain) to run up against the Messiah who was aided and abetted by the MSM who was completely in the tank for him, benefitted enormously from the worst financial meltdown in America in 80 years, and a Republican President who had an approval rating less than 30%. It should have been like the Reagan landslide in 1984 (49 state win)but again ‘it is what it is’–IT WASN’T.

2)Steele has to recruit younger, less jaded or more conservative candidates to run for Congress for the GOP in 2010 and 2012 that espouse an undiluted conservative message that is spoken from CONVICTION and not from EXPEDIENCY. And they can’t fake it. The base unlike the Obamatrons are not idiots. They can spot a phony or RINO a mile away.

3)I know this may sound presumptuous but I want Steele to acknowledge certain facts regarding the 2012 Presidential election: first that Obama will represent the Democrats and has a sizeable head start in money, organization and message; secondly that the GOP can close the gap but this will take a lot of time and effort and an unremitting commitment by a team of activists numbering in the millions to oust Obama; and finally I believe Steele must pre-identify the top 5 GOP politicians who have the best chance to gain the nomination and focus on getting them in front of the base ASAP so that the base can decide which conservative it wants to coalesce around (I hope it is Sarah Palin) and give that person a chance to gain traction and overcome the advantage that Obama has. I realize Steele risks incurring criticism of favoritism or undermining latecomers but the last thing the GOP needs a long-drawn-out battle royal deep into the primaries while Obama and his merry men and women are sitting back in the WH laughing themselves silly on how stupid the GOP is.

4)The GOP must identify House and Senate seats that have the best chance to be flipped and use the 2010 electoral cycle as a trial run for its candidates to espouse a consistent, coherent conservative message that is not watered down to appease RINO’s, elitists, the MSM, interest groups, or out of deference to Obama. Of course Steele’s primary goal is to increase the GOP’s representation in Congress after 2010.

5)Steele must make the GOP members and the base fully aware of Obama’s roots, his ties to radical associates, and his belief in radical socialism. Steele and the GOP must begin to refer to Obama as a SOCIALIST; he is not a liberal or progressive. If the GOP do not call Obama out, then it will be doing the American public a great disservice, as McCain did in the 2008 election by being too soft on Obama’s ties to radical beliefs and associates. And the GOP will be rejected as it was in 2008 if it does not make the distinction between conservatism and socialism.

6)Steele, as he says, has to go out and meet the people in church basements, school auditoriums and people’s homes. He must continually oppose Obama and explain why Obama is bad for America. Until the beginning of 2010 Steele will essentially be the face of the GOP: he must act like he is.

7)Steele must call various interest groups together and get them to agree to develop a unity platform as early as possible in the primary process so that when the GOP delegates appear in the convention there is no dissension in the ranks. Beating Obama will require a united team effort.

8)Steele must realize that the GOP cannot win elections without the input from libertarians. The hardest thing Steele will have to forge is a workable alliance between libertarians and conservatives but I believe it must done. Beside giving the GOP best chance to win in 2012 I believe that Sarah Palin also gives the GOP best opportunity to bridge this gap between the two factions. One of the most overlooked features of Sarah’s resume is her libertarian influences and perceptions.

9)An all-out effort must be made to attract younger women to the GOP by explaining why the GOP and its conservatives principles best serve women’s interests. Women in general make up more than 50% of the population. Single women voted 70% for Obama to 29% for McCain. This gap has to be narrowed.

10) And finally I leave this for the last: Steele and the candidates must emphasize, re-emphasize and then do it again and again and again until we are sick of hearing it that the GOP stands for the ‘natural rights of man’ that each individual American has the unalienable right to life, liberty and to pursue his or her own happiness that has been endowed by his/her Creator and that the government is assigned the job of securing these rights and derive their powers from the consent of the governed.

Of course the GOP must also restate its commitment to defend the Constitution, but I consider that a given.

technopeasant on February 14, 2009 at 9:49 PM

You do realize that the Democrats, the left, et al, now have a video of the RNC chairman saying:

“You have no reason to trust us at this point.”

They’re already running with this at the Huffington Post and other sites. I’m pretty sure this will come back in different forms if not the 2010 election.

It’s a sound byte for sure however one should think about future consequences.

Just saying.

Mr Gus on February 14, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Mr Gus on February 14, 2009 at 9:56 PM

The keys words are ‘at this point’.

Would you rather have had Steele declare everything is wonderful and sugar-coat reality?

There will be other awkward comments that the GOP will be saying between now and 2010 that HP will spotlight and ridicule.

It is more important that Steele have the party fully prepared for 2010. and with confidence utter these words
“We have listened to and received feedback from the American people; you can now trust us to adhere to conservative principles and to our conservative message and count on us to do what we say we are going to do. At this point we feel we have turned the corner. We do not intend to look back.”

technopeasant on February 14, 2009 at 10:10 PM

technopeasant on February 14, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Well said, very well said. On point three I would say our top three at this point are Romney, Palin and Jindal. I also agree whole heartedly with point 8 since I have a very strong libertarian streak. There needs to be less focused on interfering in personal lives through social issues and more on what makes their lives better through economic issues. I am not saying we should abandon social conservative ideals just that they should not be the focus of the party when most of the electorate has other concerns.

goat on February 14, 2009 at 10:10 PM

and what about abortion techno?

jerrytbg on February 14, 2009 at 10:18 PM

jerrytbg on February 14, 2009 at 10:18 PM

That would be taken up in the unity platform (#7).

technopeasant on February 14, 2009 at 10:22 PM

oops…
I did read it I swear… another senior moment…nah it’s the scotch… time to sleep…catch u all later. ;)

jerrytbg on February 14, 2009 at 10:27 PM

and what about abortion techno?

jerrytbg on February 14, 2009 at 10:18 PM

That is a social issue a vast majority of voters don’t sit around their kitchen tables wringing their hands over. I am prolife but I really hate it when that is focused on by pols. I want to know where they stand on economic, law enforcment and national security far above their stance on abortion. I know plenty of staunch prolifers that are complete idiots when it comes to issues that actually affect all of us directly, I would say being prolife is a side benefit to the other policy positions.

goat on February 14, 2009 at 10:34 PM

For example I believe Specter is prolife.

goat on February 14, 2009 at 10:38 PM

The keys words are ‘at this point’.

technopeasant on February 14, 2009 at 10:10 PM

You make a good point and the final phrase clarifies his statement. However, and this is only an observation on my part, it can be used against the RNC if taken out of context simply by editing out that very last phrase. Michael Steele should perhaps think through his words more carefully particularly when he is on entertainment-news programs such as Glenn Beck.

Mr Gus on February 14, 2009 at 10:48 PM

For example I believe Specter is prolife.

goat on February 14, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Specter considers himself pro-choice. Ironically he gets a low score from both NARAL (21%) and NRLC (0%). He seems to thread the line with this issue which of course satisfies neither group.

Mr Gus on February 14, 2009 at 10:56 PM

goat on February 14, 2009 at 10:34 PM

And don’t forget fighting radical socialism with every breath we take.

Conservatives and Republicans must begin to explain to Christians that socialism is anti-Christ and Christ was for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness except that he referred to life as the Law and the Gospel, liberty as faith, mercy, forgiveness, prayer, and repentance and the pursuit of happiness as “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” and “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

I know there are many other examples in the Bible where life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is affirmed. I am not enough a scholar of the Bible to cite them now but perhaps someone out there can help me out.

technopeasant on February 14, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Yeah, well, Beck might think it’s “refreshing” to hear stupid shit from Steele, but I don’t. No, we don’t have any reason to believe your words, Mr. Chairman, but that’s the point of actions.

You “act” like conservatives, and people will vote for you. As Rush says – it works every time it’s tried.

As for words, not so much. First action I’d like to see:

Recruit, support, fund and win with a conservative in the Pennsylvania Senate GOP primary in a year. I’ve already committed myself: not a penny for the GOP until that race, and if you support the spectre of Specter, my dollars go to the liberal Democrat in the general election.

Jaibones on February 14, 2009 at 10:57 PM

technopeasant on February 14, 2009 at 10:56 PM

I am not disagreeing with you I am just pointing out that the vast majority of voters do not place social issues like abortion or gay marriage very high on their list of priorities. The Democrats have learned to focus on the kitchen table issues even if their actual policies are economically horrible and bad for the average family. I am socially conservative I just don’t think those issues should be the focus of the party when they are far down the list of most of the electorate. I am not saying those issues should be abandoned as part of the GOP platform just that they should get much less emphasis when choosing our candidates. Those are the very last issues I look at when evaluating a candidate. Like most voters I want to know where they stand on economic, law enforcment and national security first and foremost. McCain was right on all those issues just a very poor messenger, Obama was and is still a blank slate a disillusioned electorate was able to put their own hopes onto. We have to provide a very clear difference to Democrat policies and explain why it is better and that has little to do with social issues.

goat on February 14, 2009 at 11:19 PM

goat on February 14, 2009 at 11:19 PM

What I am trying to say is that the ‘natural rights’ of man and woman need not focus on abortion or gay rights.

I do not consider ‘natural rights’ as primarily a social issue but a principle or right of citizenship that also involves the other two legs of the stool evn more: fiscal accountability and responsibility and low taxes and securing the country against countries who wish to take away our ‘natural rights’.

For one to have life one must be secure from people that want to kill us (eg Osama Bin Laden); to have liberty the government must be honor bound to protect those rights to liberty and freedom of expression and movement as guaranteed by the Constitution and to be able to pursue one’s personal happiness one must be encouraged to cultivate personal initiative and a climate of opportunity based on a low tax regime and sound fiscal management to keep down inflation must be fostered by the government so that entrepreneurs can maximize their output, production or profit.

I never have referred to ‘natural rights’ and abortion and gay rights in the same breath. ‘Natural rights’ are endowed by God and not bestowed by the State and the ‘right to an abortion’ or ‘gay rights’ are conversely subject to man’s laws which as we know are contentious issues.

technopeasant on February 14, 2009 at 11:44 PM

technopeasant on February 14, 2009 at 11:44 PM

No disagreement there, those are the points the GOP needs to focus on with laser like precision at all levels of government from the local to the federal. My point is that too many of our candidates tend to focus on the social issues and not the points you make to their own detriment. Those are the kitchen table issues the electorate focuses on.

goat on February 15, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Let me clarify what the difference is between natural rights and legal rights.

Natural rights are in Jefferson’s words in the Declaration of Independence are endowed by God (not government) and these rights are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness and the main duty of government is to secure these rights on behalf of the people they govern. By inference, every person is equal because each person is born with natural rights.

The proponents of legal rights see rights as privileges or blessings bestowed to individuals by the government at their pleasure and thus can be withdrawn as well at their pleasure.

With legal rights comes inequality because the government can deem some individuals more entitled to rights or benefits than others.

Every totalitarian or socialist government has sought to circumscribe life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. In many cases governments have purged their enemies or incarcerated them to shorten their life span, they have imposed restrictions on freedom of speech, movement or assembly and dictated how one should live or conduct his/her life from the offices of the government bureaucracy and prevented one from pursuing his/her own happiness by levelling high taxes, not allowing the ownership of personal property, or not allowing one to profit from the fruits of his/her personal initiatve; instead the collective happiness is emphasized and pursuing one’s self-interest is penalized or frowned upon by the government.

technopeasant on February 15, 2009 at 12:30 AM

No disagreement here

goat on February 15, 2009 at 12:33 AM

From a column by Michael Reagan:

I’ve heard people say that Ronald Reagan would have supported the bailout. My answer to that is: “Balderdash!” Ronald Reagan would never have supported a bailout, because under his leadership there never would have been a need for a bailout. He never would have allowed the double-dealing and sheer criminality that brought about our current crisis.

In a Ronald Reagan administration the Chris Dodds and Barney Franks — who bled Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac dry — wouldn’t be running Congressional committees, they’d be fending off Federal prosecutors.

eaglescout1998 on February 15, 2009 at 12:45 AM

Yo! Earth to Steele! We haven’t trusted either party in at least a decade. Sorry it took you so long to figure it out.

As to Beck. He’s not really on the game. He had Steele on the show yet he didn’t ask the money question –

“You say you are looking for new talent that hews to GOP principles. Fine. But why don’t you immediately start kicking some butts out on those that currently don’t follow those principles; would not Arlen Specter be a good start?”

If Steele says he can’t then nothing has changed.

Dr. Dog on February 15, 2009 at 12:51 AM

I was and still am a Romneyite.

goat on February 14, 2009 at 7:59 PM

They make an ointment for that.

portlandon on February 15, 2009 at 1:01 AM

I see everyone stating that Michael Steele should say that the three turncoats should be banished. I heard the head of the RNSC state, today, that they would be strongly supporting any candidate, who ran against these three, in the next election.
I’ve abstained from contributing to any requests, since the election, but the next request from RNSC gets a donation from me.

FoxyLady on February 15, 2009 at 1:03 AM

eaglescout1998 on February 15, 2009 at 12:45 AM

While I place plenty of blame on Dodd and Frank it appears there was much more going on in the financial markets than we were made aware of at the time. I doubt Michael knew about that when he wrote those words. Granted the automatic transfer of that amount of money in minutes was not available in his time. He would have acted to keep our banking system from completely collapsing. I mean 550 billion in an hour 5.5 trillion in 7 hours is more than a chunk of change.

goat on February 15, 2009 at 1:23 AM

portlandon on February 15, 2009 at 1:01 AM
And I have something for you to sit on, a cactus. Mitt would have been pushing a stimulus that would grow the economy and veto this porkulus monstrosity.

goat on February 15, 2009 at 1:29 AM

FoxyLady on February 15, 2009 at 1:03 AM

Hear, Hear, I have been saying its the NRSC’s responsibility to deal with the three not Steele’s and the RNC. The RNC needs to build from the bottom up and not concern itself so much with issues related to the NRSC or the NRCC. Like I said before if you have a problem with Collins ,Snowe and Specter make your feelings known to the NRSC and let Steele and the RNC concentrate on building the party from the bottom up.

goat on February 15, 2009 at 1:37 AM

I suppose that you can dismiss this as being within the realm of wingnut conspiracy theory, but I find it very convenient that this “economic crisis” began in time for the election. It makes me think it may have been manufactured — by the Democrats and/or the MSM — to ensure the election of Barack Obama.

eaglescout1998 on February 15, 2009 at 1:49 AM

eaglescout1998 on February 15, 2009 at 1:49 AM

Ah hell the Democrats and their sycophants in the press corps have been pushing that message for years and someone, George Soros? and his allies made it happen. The fun part is it was a Democrat that broke it open. I have contacted my Congressman to see if its true since he is a on the relevant committees.

goat on February 15, 2009 at 2:07 AM

eaglescout1998 on February 15, 2009 at 1:49 AM

What seemed odd to me was that McCain appeared to be caught completely off-guard by the problem with Lehman Brothers and AIG and the sub-prime mortgage mess.

You would have thought that the Bush administration would have given McCain a head’s up so he could have dealt with the matter in his convention speech or in speeches within one week of the convention or at least have been better prepared to what his next move was going to be once he found out.

This makes you think that the Bush administration did not want to do McCain any favors or that the meltdown was an abrupt turn of events brought on by external forces either discounted or dismissed by the administration or Congress prior to September 15th.

technopeasant on February 15, 2009 at 2:09 AM

technopeasant on February 15, 2009 at 2:09 AM

Nah, McCain just sucked at explaining it in coherent form and Obama just blamed Bush and offered nothing but hope and change.

goat on February 15, 2009 at 2:17 AM

I don’t think McCain sits on any of the financial committees so he may not have known and if he did he was lousy at making the problem clear.

goat on February 15, 2009 at 2:21 AM

If McCain knew that the economy was going to be such a big deal I believe he would have chosen Romney for VP instead of Sarah. I do think he was blindsided but again you would have thought McCain’s people would have had their ear to the ground for future event that may have impacted the campaign.

technopeasant on February 15, 2009 at 3:01 AM

I like Beck most of the time, but then again political pundits have not exactly always been helpful either.

As far as I know Beck has not won elections or run for office, he talks for a living.

Steele has to actually find a way to help establish that trust as well as make the GOP seem attractive to voters. At a time when Democrats are promising people everything but the moon, that will not be easy.

Terrye on February 15, 2009 at 3:22 AM

technopeasant:

Who saw this coming? Did the markets? In October 2007 the Dow was at record highs. The experts did not think this would happen. And even when the housing bubble burst and people said the economy would slow down I do not recall anyone anticipating a global financial crisis like this. In August before the crash offshore drilling was the big item for Republicans here, not subprime loans.

Terrye on February 15, 2009 at 3:25 AM

And Mr. Steele I don’t! You love this bill! The GOP loves this bill! The RNC loves this bill! You get on TV and tell conservatives what they want to hear but you don’t believe a word of it! Any more than you guys have believed the crap you have spewed for years about abortion, low taxes, low spending etc.! You sir, are a fake! You are a RINO like Spectre and about 70% of the George Bush, John McCain Republicans! You will get none of my money or my support…EVER!

sabbott on February 15, 2009 at 5:15 AM

This bill is a disastrous and something tells me our president won’t get much of the blame for it “when” it fails…

TimeTraveler on February 15, 2009 at 5:35 AM

Michael Steele continues to prove my predictions about him correct, he is a total embarassment, even to Glenn Beck. And it says something when Glenn Beck can be taken aback by your utter suckitude and betamale-ness. Here’s Steele’s problem. …………………

DeathToMediaHacks on February 14, 2009 at 5:27 PM

^^ Given the source of the comments, that‘s a ringing endorsement of why we need Michael Steele in the GOP.

Red State State of Mind on February 15, 2009 at 7:54 AM

“I appreciate his willingness to beat himself up in the name of regaining the public’s trust, but, er, is the man of Steele being perhaps a bit too self-deprecating here?”

No, he’s got it about right. I’m going with ‘exactly as self-deprecating as he should be. Steele’s going to rock as RNCC, but he’s got to start from the ground and remake our party.

Kevin M on February 15, 2009 at 8:51 AM

DeathToMediaHacks on February 14, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Maybe cuz the people Obama keeps trotting out as beneficiaries of the porkulus are Julio, the guy who after 4.5 years at McDonald’s can’t get a better job. And that woman who demanded that Obama give her a bathroom and a kitchen and a car.

I didn’t see Obama talk to anyone who was making $250K a year running a business and begging for a handout.

Now you understand?

angryed on February 15, 2009 at 9:42 AM

DeathToMediaHacks on February 14, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Because that best defines the listless gaggle of useless parasites “your side” has elected to champion. They pander to the mindless masses then herd them to the polls during elections.

Got it now?

rplat on February 15, 2009 at 10:26 AM

It’s not the Republican Party I have a hard time trusting right now. It is the proliferation of RINOs dominating the party that I do not trust.

Get rid of all the RINOs like Specter, Snowe, Graham, Collins AND MCCAIN, return to the principles so well stated by the late great Ronald Reagan, and maybe then you will regain my trust.

pilamaye on February 15, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Now you understand?

angryed on February 15, 2009 at 9:42 AM

well, he did trot out the CEO of GE, and isn’t GE stock doing great?

Red State State of Mind on February 15, 2009 at 1:01 PM

“You have no reason to trust us at this point”

Michael Steele

Let me offer 5 interpretations or conclusions that can be drawn from this statement:

1)For the GOP to succeed in future elections it must focus on pleasing ‘you’ (the party base, independent conservatives and libertarians, and those who are anti-Obama)

2)’No reason’ simply acknowledges that the Republicans broke faith with ‘you’ by not standing as one against the stimulus bill (Collins, Snowe, and Spector bolted)and RINO’s not taking sound conservative principled positions that ‘you’ expect from Republicans before the 2008 campaign (the Bush White House allowing spending and the national debt to get out of control, during the 2008 campaign where McCain was perceived to ‘going soft on Obama’ and after January 20 as Obama set about to impose his socialist agenda on America.

3)’Trust’ is based on faith and confidence that one will achieve his goals. ‘You’ no longer trusts that the Republicans either know what they are doing (building political infrastructure, raising money, reaching voters, tapping into the new technologies etc)or know how to win elections (the message, candidates and promotion). Steele must endeavor to build this trust anew and he started by acknowledging rather than sugarcoating reality. If Steele had obfuscated or tried to paint too rosy of an outlook, critics would have assailed Steele as just another GOP hack that kept his head buried in the sand. As young children begin to trust their parents more because of accurate mounting evidence the ‘you’ will begin to trust the GOP again because of transparent, positive mounting evidence.

4)The ‘us’ Steele is referring to is the national and state party apparatus,including Steele himself, and the members of Congress. The ‘us’ tells the masses a convincing story on the stump during the campaign but once they set foot in Washington they either begin to adopt the mentality of oily, expedient politicians or reacquaint themselves with the Beltway mentality of how a decision will play in the MSM, among the elitists and pundits, and impact lobbyists.

5)As I have commented on another posting ‘at this time’ is a key phrase that Steele used. Again he is stating reality at a point on a timeline, but as mature adults know the only thing constant in this world is CHANGE; the emergence of various personalities, issues, circumstances and strategy and the interaction of these variables will most certainly change the political landscape, hopefully for the benefit of the GOP in 2010 and 2012. Steele’s statement is factual but also provides hope. As of February 15th 2009 we have little more to hitch our wagons to.

technopeasant on February 15, 2009 at 2:53 PM

This is either the dumbest or the nastiest thing I ever heard. It’s like they are talking about the Star Trek “Borg” with this “us” and “our word” nonsense. Does Steele want the Democrats to use his soundbites to destroy excellent Republicans like Sessions, DeMint, and many Republicans in the House? What is wrong with the word of those elected Republicans? They seem pretty trustworthy from what I can tell.

The conservatives in Congress better drop the R and call themselves Independents or Independent Conservative. The GOP won’t survive this RNC Chairman.

Buddahpundit on February 15, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Just get folks like Palin, Reagan and Rush, who can articulate
and demonstrate the Conservative core values that folks can
understand. And don’t let the Dems get away with their attacks. Call them on it….

dec5 on February 15, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Who is he going to market it to? Those of us that are conservative? The other half isn’t going to listen, they just voted on a bill that they have no idea what is in it or how it is going to affect the future of the country.

I just read on Drudge that Chavez got term limits lifted, the chosen one has indicated he wants to do the same here. Do you really think it won’t happen with the imbeciles that are in power and those that put them there? Good Bye Republic. It is going to take more than just HA and marketing to turn this around.

N4646W on February 15, 2009 at 11:53 PM