Video: Root, root, root for the criminals

posted at 4:45 pm on February 13, 2009 by Allahpundit

Something sweet to cleanse the palate as we get ready to choke down the biggest platter o’ pork in American history. Take this storyline, make it the state championship game, toss Denzel Washington and Tom Hanks in there as rival coaches, and you’ve got a $100 million treacly coming-of-age classic. No doubt the script’s already being written. Co-starring Zac Efron as the tough yet sensitive inmate doing life for double murder.

Watching this reminded me of McCain clinching the GOP nomination last spring. How do you suddenly root for someone you distrust?

Comments

Allah, I thought you liked McCain.

hawkdriver on February 13, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Allah, are you secretly a writer for Deceiver? There’s nothing more beta male than being a gossip columnist.

Tacitus_SGL on February 13, 2009 at 4:49 PM

WoW!! This must be the newest NFL training camp.

Helloyawl on February 13, 2009 at 4:53 PM

That really was a great story!

firepilot on February 13, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Amazingly amazing.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 13, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Wait. A good news story? You’re kidding me right?

It was a great idea that coach had. George Costansa would have been proud of those fans.

watson007 on February 13, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Eh, it’s just a bunch of crazed Bible-thumpers again, being their bigoted, clingy selves.

Ain’t that right, President Ogabe?

Bishop on February 13, 2009 at 5:00 PM

WOW! I want my sons to go to that school. Perhaps if they study really hard, rob, steal and push drugs on the playground they can get a state invitation.

Claypigeon on February 13, 2009 at 5:04 PM

In the spirit of the story, AP, maybe you should change the headline. Criminals doesn’t seem to fit the mood. We and they know that, but why rub it in.

eaglesdontflock on February 13, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Nice to see Michael Vick making a comeback.

lorien1973 on February 13, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Boo freakin’ hoo. Why are these criminals allowed to play football in the first place? Plus, I am tired of the “I come from a broken home” excuse. I grew up a world-class, whiskey tango, no-daddy having, uber-dysfunctional family and I never ended up in jail or juvenile hall. One either knows right from wrong and cares about the difference, or doesn’t. No excuses. What’s next? Scholarships to the University of Miami?

John Eric on February 13, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Take this storyline add Sean Porter, the Rock, and Xzibit, and you’ve got Gridiron Gang.

racecar05 on February 13, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Interesting that you call it a sweet story and then go on to sarcastically mock the whole thing…

I guess the atheist doesn’t believe in redemption? or maybe just not for these kids? or what is going on?

Your write up to this is really sending some mixed signals.

thecollegepolitico on February 13, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Rick Reilly wrote a column about it six weeks ago, as well.

RMSpuhler on February 13, 2009 at 5:13 PM

That does it: next time I see the Harlem Globetrotters play, I’m rooting for the Washington Generals.

DarthBrooks on February 13, 2009 at 5:14 PM

I’m a law & order sort but this story made me cry.

baldilocks on February 13, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Nice to see Michael Vick making a comeback.

*snort*

Rae Carruth as well.

Bishop on February 13, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Beautiful story. These Christians walk their talk. Thanks AP.

joewm315 on February 13, 2009 at 5:54 PM

As long as it makes them feel good, who cares what havoc these young criminals wreaked in the lives of their victims and their families?

hillbillyjim on February 13, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Sometimes your cynicism is endearing. Sometimes it strikes as being clear-thinking in the midst of madness.

But sometimes it just seems sad, shallow, and hollow. Times like this.

You really missed the boat on this one. I wish Ed had posted this. He would have understood what he was posting.

Your write up to this is really sending some mixed signals.

thecollegepolitico on February 13, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Exactly.

That really was a great story!

firepilot on February 13, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Yes. Yes, it was.

Professor Blather on February 13, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Andrew “The Conservative Soul” Sullivan says:

A Republican party that added more than $30 trillion to the future debt in a time of boom has no credible answer but raw partisanship for opposing $800 billion in the swiftest downturn in employment since the Great Depression. That’s the bottom line. The party that campaigned for eight years on the principle that “deficits don’t matter” has no good faith standing to oppose a measure that provides the minimum to ensure some kind of bottom in the looming depression.

Respect Andrew Sullivan’s Authority!

Mr. Joe on February 13, 2009 at 6:00 PM

John Eric on February 13, 2009 at 5:08 PM

hillbillyjim on February 13, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Would you rather them think that thug culture is normal, that they have to fight everything and everyone to survive or that there is more to life; that people actually care so they should care as well.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. (I’m talking future crime)

Takeaway quote: I no longer think of myself as a victim

- The Cat

P.S. They didn’t let them win, which is good.

MirCat on February 13, 2009 at 6:02 PM

But sometimes it just seems sad, shallow, and hollow. Times like this.

Oh please. Lighten up. I said it was sweet.

Allahpundit on February 13, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Bishop on February 13, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Okay, that was funny.

baldilocks on February 13, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Could someone please pass the Kleenex?

fbcmusicman on February 13, 2009 at 6:17 PM

*sigh* ;-)

Actually, this is a pretty cool story. Beats wallowing in stimulus-depression going into the weekend…

JetBoy on February 13, 2009 at 6:24 PM

they all will end up in prison.No you can not turn them
around with a foot ball.They are convicts.They will rape , kill as soon as you let them out.

Denniscat on February 13, 2009 at 6:35 PM

I worked in a halfway house with kids from this Gainsville school.
Considering the family historys I read… It amazed me any of them had a lick of hope or sanity left.

It didn’t take much to make them happy. A pat on the back for an accomplishment. A listening ear. Telling them that there was hope.

Some didn’t make it, Some did. 15 years later a few still call me to let me know what’s going on and that they are doing well or when things aren’t going well.

They deserved the punishment and the correction.. but they deserved the hope too.

GoodBoy on February 13, 2009 at 6:36 PM

This is the kind of thing that makes you proud to be an American.

I’m glad there are people who care enough to give these kids the structure and support they probably never had growing up. It would be interesting to see the recidivism rate between regular inmates and those who played football.

Constantine on February 13, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Sounds racist to me.

jukin on February 13, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Darn homophobic, bigoted, intolerant, do-gooder Christians.

The Ugly American on February 13, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Thanks for that, it was great. Used to live close by in Sherman, TX so it hit home. Hope to get back there someday, the people really are great.

scalleywag on February 13, 2009 at 6:53 PM

The Ugly American on February 13, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Yeah the next thing you know these Christians will have the convicts brainwashed and going to church and stuff!

sonnyspats1 on February 13, 2009 at 6:57 PM

they all will end up in prison.No you can not turn them

Denniscat on February 13, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Nice.

scalleywag on February 13, 2009 at 6:59 PM

hillbillyjim on February 13, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Easy for you to judge when you don’t even know what they’re in there for. Could have been possession of a half a joint in Texas. Their laws are tough.

scalleywag on February 13, 2009 at 7:02 PM

But sometimes it just seems sad, shallow, and hollow. Times like this.

Take no offense AP, he doesn’t call himself blather for nothing.

keep the change on February 13, 2009 at 7:05 PM

scalleywag on February 13, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Reading is fundamental.

hillbillyjim on February 13, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Whats really funny is that a lot of these kids have better attitudes than people here.

GoodBoy on February 13, 2009 at 7:23 PM

GoodBoy on February 13, 2009 at 7:23 PM

It has taken a lot of hard work and dedication to develop my cynical attitude, so quit picking on me. You might hurt my delicate feelings.

hillbillyjim on February 13, 2009 at 7:25 PM

What are these guys in jail for – ripping off a stereo or raping somebody? Big difference on whether I’ll be rooting for them.

keep the change on February 13, 2009 at 7:58 PM

It would have only been a truly American classic if the winning team ignored the scoreboard and forfieted the win in some twisted version of sportsmanship….

Hog Wild on February 13, 2009 at 8:07 PM

1) They’re kids.
2) He didn’t use it as an excuse. He just said he was overwhelmed by the love because he wasn’t used to it.

jgapinoy on February 13, 2009 at 8:32 PM

Hog Wild on February 13, 2009 at 8:07 PM

…in 3…2…1…

hillbillyjim on February 13, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Heaven forbid, we have an actual criminal justice system; some innocent soul might get ….bwahahaha!

You guys!….

hillbillyjim on February 13, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Ain’t that right, President Ogabe?

Bishop on February 13, 2009 at 5:00 PM

At least both teams have something in common…GUNS!

Tim Burton on February 13, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Enough humor, I hope they learn a life lesson in this.

Tim Burton on February 13, 2009 at 9:15 PM

So that high school did something good without any government intervention at all? How in the world? What a great story.

kahall on February 13, 2009 at 9:19 PM

It was a good story. Also interesting, if I heard correctly, is that there are only 14 kids on the team.

mikeyboss on February 13, 2009 at 10:06 PM

I’m a law & order sort but this story made me cry.

baldilocks on February 13, 2009 at 5:22 PM

“Havin’ all that love just rose my spirits up.”

Huh; mine, too.

Jaibones on February 13, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Why does it always seem to be that when the downtrodden (for whatever reason) are truly reached out to, for mercy’s sake, that it’s always done by conservative people? You never hear of “outreach” like this initiated by the Left.

Guardian on February 13, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Jail is supposed to rehabilitate. It seems some of the young men were, in some way…maybe a small way…rehabilitated.

SouthernGent on February 14, 2009 at 1:11 AM

SouthernGent on February 14, 2009 at 1:11 AM

Yeah, but….but…….but…..

Wait just a damn minute.

;-)

hillbillyjim on February 14, 2009 at 1:38 AM

mikeyboss on February 13, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Playing both ways for an entire game is pretty impressive.

Guardian on February 13, 2009 at 11:41 PM

I could tell you stories about my liberal family and friends.

hawkdriver on February 14, 2009 at 3:01 AM

Wonderful story of giving and receiving love! Really enjoyed it. I too am a law and order type and we need more of this in our society rather than sitting and yelling at each other!

sabbott on February 14, 2009 at 5:07 AM

Everyone deserves a second chance… and a high school just like Gainesville State in their community.

mike_NC9 on February 14, 2009 at 8:35 AM

AP, thanks for that story, I hadn’t seen it before. It will never be made into a movie, though, the Christians are the good guys.

Jvette on February 14, 2009 at 11:37 AM