The “war” on Barack Obama? Oh, please

posted at 8:55 am on February 13, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The normally sensible Joe Gandelman links to the normally hysterical Andrew Sullivan today to complain about the supposed “war” launched against Barack Obama by the Republicans.  Neither man considers the fact that Republicans — and a great many Americans — have serious questions about the economic policies of Obama and the Democratic leadership in Congress, but instead just have it out for Obama personally.  Sullivan:

This much is now clear. Their clear and open intent is to do all they can, however they can, to sabotage the new administration (and the economy to boot). They want failure. Even now. Even after the last eight years. Even in a recession as steeply dangerous as this one. There are legitimate debates to be had; and then there is the cynicism and surrealism of total political war. We now should have even less doubt about what kind of people they are. And the mountain of partisan vitriol Obama will have to climb every day of the next four or eight years.

Gandelman:

Some will quibble with how Sullivan words this, but it is indeed increasingly difficult to make an argument that the Republican party is acting in good faith with the White House and the American people as it continues to play to its base.

Good faith?  When exactly did the Democrats show good faith?  This bill started out by locking Republicans out of its draft, as well as many Democrats through Nancy Pelosi’s refusal to return to regular order in the House.  This is the most expensive bill ever considered by the Congress, by far the most expensive project ever considered, and yet the Democrats have failed to allow any meaningful debate or access to amend the bill.  In fact, they have yet to provide the bill to some members, but K Street already has its copies.  Yet they want to force a vote today on a bill comprising 1500 pages of legisation, with an initial cost of $785 billion and a ten-year cost of over $3 trillion without giving people a chance to read it — and the Republicans are acting in bad faith?

Joe references Rush Limbaugh as proof of the Republican war against Obama, but that’s absurd.  When Republican Congressmen and Senators start calling for Obama to be impeached, like we have heard from their Democratic counterparts for almost the entire span of the Bush administration, then you can cry about a “war” on Obama.  Dissent on policy is not war, gentlemen.  It’s America.

And if Joe wants to complain about Rush Limbaugh, where was he during the entirety of Keith Olbermann’s sorry career of supposed news anchorship, which consisted of nothing but anti-Bush diatribes?

There certainly is legitimate debate to be had, and especially on Porkulus.  Sullivan’s argument is apparently that none dare challenge The One, lest it be considered a “war”.  Well, man up, because we’re going to challenge every bad policy that comes out of the Obama administration for the next four years — because that’s what people do in democracies when they disagree.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Hack? –

Your “ultimate” premise, as well as I can make it out, is that the media are going to paint current GOP efforts in a black light in such a way that the electorate will think, umm, more ill of the GOP in two years?

And further, that if the GOP do …something else (which is unspecified) …then the media will be unable to paint the GOP in as black a light, and hence the electorate will think less ill of the GOP (during the congressional election of ’10)?

Did I get that essential core of your argument right? – I.e., that you’re formulating a theory that if the GOP just “gets along” with the president, and tones down their current negative (to some equally unspecified degree) political rhetoric, the MM will be less antagonistic in their reportage of the GOP in ’10 (and less obvious in their biases, one assumes), and the electorate will reward us with votes (or less likely to vote Dem’ …which isn’t the same thing, after all)?

Uh, yeah.

That worked out real swell with the former Republican sweetheart of the mainstream media (who pursued that policy for two decades), didn’t it? And whose pseudonym during the election became MadDog McCain The Baby Slasher by the “sympathetic” MM.

You must know who I’m speaking of, right? The same RINO the media is again being vaguely sympathetic with?

Gotta hand it to yez, what a brilliant ploy you suggest.

(I, OTOH think the vast majority of the electorate don’t pay attention at all to politics. But they know what they don’t like, and they don’t like this …and polls be damned: they’re something else – like your analysis – that I don’t trust as far as I can spit.)

But just maybe, the electorate being against it anyways, what is coming through the left/media noise machine is that the GOP are against it too.

And so the “bad publicity” [you posit] is really just …publicity. Something breaking through the noise.

And that in actuality the media is failing to spin the screw-ups, they can’t spin the pork, a tax dodger is appointed to judge tax payers, and what the public really notices – which public doesn’t generally pay attention anyways, unless they’re pissed off – is hearing the GOP is against it too. Like them.

And this is bad, how?

Dude, this is win-win.

davisbr on February 13, 2009 at 2:04 PM

All I want to say is ..

I miss President Bush

Thanks for lifting my spirits with his picture, Ed.

Texas Gal on February 13, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Ever notice how the trolls always have the most long-winded, rambling and pointless replies?
Frankly, if I see a post by DeathtoCapitalistPigs, I just skim on over it!

Have a nice day, troll!
And relax, I’m sure a compliant DemocRat-dominated Congress will bend over for Nasty Pelosi and pass it.

Jenfidel on February 13, 2009 at 2:07 PM

I miss President Bush

Thanks for lifting my spirits with his picture, Ed.

Texas Gal on February 13, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Me too!

hawkdriver on February 13, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Those of us old enough to remember recall that it was September 11th, 2001 before the Democrat apparatus finally recognized George W. Bush as our duly elected president. Up until that time, conventional wisdom had it that Bush was a usurper, a fakir.

thegreatbeast on February 13, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Sorry if this has been said already… but what ever happened to “dissent is the highest form of patriotism”?

I’m somewhat disturbed to see a continuation of the pattern from election season, in which any questioning of Obama’s policies was considered a personal attack on the man. We can snark all day long about how liberals think with their feelings, and, as such, loathe those whom they disagree with and adore those who hold the same policy positions as they do (see: Sarah Palin).

Nevertheless, it’s a very disturbing trend for American political discourse. We should be able to strenuously disagree with our politicians without “attacking” them. What is even more upsetting is that this flips the entire point of free speech in our country: we are all free to criticise our government, not to have a government that can say whatever it wants.

Roxeanne de Luca on February 13, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Dissent on policy is not war, gentlemen. It’s America.

No, no, no — now, it’s racism.

Paul_in_NJ on February 13, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Perhaps you’re unfamiliar with this thing called the filibuster. Obama does not have the votes to do “anything” he wants.

DeathToMediaHacks on February 13, 2009 at 12:18 PM

There are like a half dozen conservatives in the Senate. If Obama can’t get Democrats like Collins or Snowe to help him avoid filibuster, that would be some new standard of epic failure.

The only reason you need extra Republican votes is so Reid and Obama can instruct their red state Democrats like Conrad to vote with the Republicans.

Buddahpundit on February 13, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Yeah, we sprung the terrorists from Gitmo, we hired the tax cheats, we larded up the stimulus bill, we snagged the census from the Department of Commerce. And it only took us three weeks!!! Wait till you see what we do to poor widdle O’Bama next month! Stay tuned for our next adverb-packed episode! Geez! Do these guys ever, ever, EVER take responsibility for ANYTHING they do??? Oh, its all the mean Republicans fault, waaaaaa!

gordo on February 13, 2009 at 3:12 PM

This always happens.

The lunatic left feels free to openly call for the imprisonment and execution of Republican Presidents, as they did during the Bush Administration, the Reagan Administration, etc.

Then if anyone merely opposes ANYTHING a Democrat President does, they cry like stuck pigs.

It’s just tiresome. Democrats are toddlers, there’s no two ways around it. When they don’t get their way, they melt down into tears.

NoDonkey on February 13, 2009 at 3:31 PM

I thought dissent was the highest form of patriotism….that’s what it says on the Prius bumper stickers I used to see.

Martin on February 13, 2009 at 4:01 PM

thegreatbeast on February 13, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Oh, nothing changed with 9/11. The dust from the WTC rubble had barely settled before Dem strategists were trying to figure out how to undercut Bush at every turn.

ddrintn on February 13, 2009 at 4:37 PM

F*ck ‘em. I’m not a violent person, but If I were to run into some of these beta dweebs on the street, I’d introduce them to reality. For my children’s sake, of course.

Scotsman on February 13, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Okay so Sullivan is pro-stimulus. Then in what sense is he a conservative. That’s his claim to fame, isn’t it, “the gay conservative”?

Not a social conservative. Not a defense conservative. And now we know certainly not a fiscal conservative. Therefore not a conservative.

I guess he’s just gay.

exdeadhead on February 13, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Republicans arguing against the stimulus is War? Bahahaha, *snort* hahahahaha. Uh huh, and I’m Marilyn Monroe. *winks*

baxtrice on February 13, 2009 at 5:26 PM

This is a snap shot of what and who Obama and his administration are:

JUST WORDS? CHANGE.GOV PROMISES:
(via Instapundit)

End the Practice of Writing Legislation Behind Closed Doors: As president, Barack Obama will restore the American people’s trust in their government by making government more open and transparent. Obama will work to reform congressional rules to require all legislative sessions, including committee mark-ups and conference committees, to be conducted in public. By making these practices public, the American people will be able to hold their leaders accountable for wasteful spending and lawmakers won’t be able to slip favors for lobbyists into bills at the last minute.

Instead we got a bill that the lobbyists got before the Congressmen,was decided on behind closed doors, which will pass without being read. Hope and change?

Say what the sheep want to hear then let liberals in the press and Obama’s supporters defend and spin his dis-honesty
and corruption.

“Yes We Can”.

Baxter Greene on February 13, 2009 at 5:29 PM

The electorate are called dumb when they vote for some one like Blagojevich and here are our elected officials voting on a bill they haven’t even read when they voted. How many years did it take for the recession to get underway and these stupidos think they must rush to vote before the weekend or the world will end.
God help us the inmates are running the asylum!

Herb on February 13, 2009 at 5:43 PM

How is it environmentally friendly to have a bill that’s so large 1500 pages, that just ONE copy per lawmaker will mean
802,500 pages to be printed.

originalpechanga on February 13, 2009 at 6:12 PM

This always happens.

NoDonkey on February 13, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Very true and part of what makes it so frustrating and tiresome is the media’s contempt for anything but the left/Dem party line.

Because the media are joined at the hip with the Democrats, there’s no sense of an objective national conversation. There’s just the left demanding all opposition be silenced. Dem politicians, one after another, demand the return of the “Fairness Doctrine” while the big media outlets serve up leftist dogma with religious zeal and demand total subservience to The Dear Leader. We’ve reached a strange and dangerous time in American history.

Django on February 13, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Sully is a fracking wreck. What an ugly, stupid, foul idiot. Also, I think he smells like cheese.

VolMagic on February 13, 2009 at 6:36 PM

I personally love sticking my NOBAMA vote in your gay face!

Lonetown on February 13, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Dissent is no longer the highest form of patriotism? I’m SHOCKED!

Speedwagon82 on February 13, 2009 at 6:44 PM

hitting head against wall This country is running backwards. I think I hear Cher singing ‘if I could turn back time’.

johnnyU on February 13, 2009 at 6:49 PM

I personally love sticking my NOBAMA vote in your gay face!

Lonetown on February 13, 2009 at 6:37 PM

I wish I had the b*lls to put one of those stickers on my car. I just don’t want people to key or otherwise deface my car — I live in CA after all where I’m outnumbered by the Obamamites.

Callie C. on February 13, 2009 at 6:58 PM

These people are totally beyond parody.
They worship Barry like a god after non-stop bashing of Bush and if you question The One they cry about it.
And they don’t even realize how warped they sound.

RobCon on February 13, 2009 at 7:02 PM

If they want I war I better buy more ammo and a don’t tread on me flag….(For the first regiment of volunteers)

cobrakai99 on February 13, 2009 at 7:11 PM

When I read Sullivan’s silly piece I had one thought…

Isn’t this a case of The Pot calling the Kettle Black.

After 8 years on the attack they sure seem to be awkward when the playing the defense…

werehawk on February 13, 2009 at 7:41 PM

I thought dissent was the highest form of patriotism. I’m sure I heard that somewhere.

Fred 2 on February 13, 2009 at 11:41 PM

LOL!!! I haven’t seen anything approaching the level of vitriol directed at Bush towards Obama. It’s not in even in the same ball park. Honestly, I don’t think I’ll see any political figure character assassinated like W. in my lifetime. It was a real disheartening thing to see.

terryannonline on February 14, 2009 at 12:21 AM

Obama Lied, stocks fried!!!

This guy Obama has run amok and yet we still cannot see his birth certificate?

I’d like to see who is in his blackberry.

dthorny on February 14, 2009 at 8:54 AM

The “steal-from-us” package is only the beginning comrades.

Mojave Mark on February 14, 2009 at 10:26 AM

802,500 pages to be printed.

originalpechanga on February 13, 2009 at 6:12 PM

We could probably rescue the economy if the stimulus was renamed “Just Kidding,”and sold hard cover.

Connie on February 14, 2009 at 3:31 PM

ROFLMAO!!!
Oh wait, Randy Andy is serious?

it continues to play to its base.

Gandelman you moron, isn’t that what they’re supposed to do?

Deanna on February 14, 2009 at 7:42 PM

I wish The One wasn’t black as I think it gets him sympathy fro almost everyone. And always will. To a degree it should.

IlikedAUH2O on February 14, 2009 at 9:17 PM

NOT to the degree it has!

IlikedAUH2O on February 14, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Wuddle Bawwy dwules.
Eeeevwil, eeeevwil Wepubwikkkans wuuule!!

drunyan8315 on February 15, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Does the filthy bastard’s blackberry operate on the public airwaves? Is it subject to FOIA?

Jus’ askin’

platypus on February 15, 2009 at 7:35 PM

What’s wrong with a war on Obama? I’m totally okay with it. We should have started it two years ago. We’re a little late getting into the game.

I have every intention of helping in any way I can to destroy his “presidency” until it is a smoking ruin. Sue me.

The mere fact of his election to high office does not make him my President. He is, in fact, my enemy. Everything he stands for is an assault on my principles and to those of America’s Founders—the Magical-Mystery Bill being only the most recent example.

I should make peace with this villainous imbecile? I don’t think so.

the-gunslinger on February 15, 2009 at 9:17 PM