Good news: Congress ready to vote on 1,000-page stimulus bill it hasn’t read yet

posted at 10:40 am on February 13, 2009 by Allahpundit

Why should they read it? According to economists, it won’t work, either because it’s too wasteful or too small. But that’s beside the point. The point here is action for action’s sake, to show voters they’re at least trying to fix the situation even if their fix reeks — in which case, mission accomplished. So they might as well come clean, which is exactly what they’re doing:

When CNSNews.com asked members of both parties on Capitol Hill on Thursday whether they had read the full, final bill, not one member could say, “Yes.”…

“The Democrats have thrown this at us very last-minute,” said Rep. Zach Wamp (R-Tenn.). “That’s why the rule of thumb in the United States Congress should be, ‘When in doubt, vote no,’ because the devil is in the details and that’s why this stimulus is not worthy of support.”

Rep. John Boozman (R-Ark.) shared that sentiment. “The American public expects for us to get in and know what we’re voting on,” Boozman said. “But there are very few members from Congress that are going to have time to actually read this thing.”

Even so, as many as eight House Republicans might vote yes. Trust in The One and his glorious approval ratings; through him, all things are possible

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Who needs to read one of the most massive spending bill ever?

As long as it squeels like a pig, looks like a pig and smells like a pig,…its a pork roast.

becki51758 on February 13, 2009 at 11:31 AM

That’s not even the best part. The text of the conference report just become inaccessible from the committee’s site.

I am fearful that we have entered into a very dangerous phase of American history.

bryanmyrick on February 13, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Mark Garnett on February 13, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Or you could be singin’ Bowie’s “We Could Be Heroes”

scalleywag on February 13, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Time for talk is over folks.

Mark Garnett on February 13, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Easy, big fella. One attack inside this country and The Big Zero is finished. His own party would threaten to impeach him if he didn’t resign.

The attack doesn’t even need to succeed. Just busting up a plot is enough to end his playtime.

platypus on February 13, 2009 at 11:35 AM

When is Rush organizing the March on Washington? And where’s my pitchfork?

BuckeyeSam on February 13, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Never gonna happen. Rash Fatblob is no Patton, willing to lead his troops from the front lines; rather, he stays well back from the action.

What we need is a respected conservative figure who has the guts to step up to the plate.

Each day, it becomes more obvious that the only hope for this nation is to remove Osama Obama and his lapdogs, Pelosi and Reid, from power. None of them have any qualifications to be in their offices, and all are hell-bent on destroying the country.

Only an organized public insistence on holding them to account for their malfeasance can bring this about.

MrScribbler on February 13, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Why would our own government want to shove this boondoggle on us like this? I feel like I live in a third world country.

scalleywag on February 13, 2009 at 11:36 AM

scalleywag on February 13, 2009 at 11:36 AM

To put the Democrat Party in permanent majority. Buy votes with pork. Scare people if they vote GOP, they’ll cut your “programs” or “benefits.” Throw in card-check and amnesty for aliens and ACORN voter fraud, and they can get control of Congress for good, and therefore the electoral college.

Wethal on February 13, 2009 at 11:39 AM

MrScribbler on February 13, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Well Newt has stepped up, he’s posted the bill. OT He also has a HA link on the home page

scalleywag on February 13, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Wethal on February 13, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Good lord, that sounds pretty ominous, almost like a final solution.

scalleywag on February 13, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Not sure why the pdf of the bill is all x’d out.

scalleywag on February 13, 2009 at 11:43 AM

McConnell has told colleagues that he will demand adequate time to review the details of the package but has advised colleagues not to raise a series of objections that could stall progress for days.

From “The Hill”. I hope someone rejects his advice. Although the “adequate time” language is faintly hopeful.

Wethal on February 13, 2009 at 11:46 AM

platypus on February 13, 2009 at 11:35 AM

If only…but no chance. An attack would be spun as a failure of the Bush administration and people would cling to Obama more than ever in the hopes that only he could solve the problem. And that would of course entail rolling over and appeasing.

Grafted on February 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM

How do I tell my daughter that I’m so sorry we couldn’t stop this rape of America’s future. I probably won’t be around to see her children suffer under the yoke of this oppressive debt and the rank socialism that we are rushing towards, but I feel partly responsible because I couldn’t stop it. It isn’t enough that I tried with my vote, my support and my voice. We failed. We failed our children and theirs. I have never been ashamed to be an American, but I am ashamed of America today.

SKYFOX on February 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Group mentality has never failed.

the_nile on February 13, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Ask the lemmings. They know.

MarkTheGreat-don’t despair! Think about programs the govt says it’s going to give $$ to & it never materializes!
I believe that if this passes, that’s what will happen.
All these promises of $$ will fade away into nothingness.
Look at the $$ they promised for NCLB? That’ never happened.
There’s lots of other examples I’m not remembering here.
But I have faith in the ineptitude of the govt-they will fail to deliver whatever is written in this monster.

Badger40 on February 13, 2009 at 11:48 AM

When Obama signs this POS legislation into law, I demand a Hot Air headline that accompanies the post to read:

“We’re All Ned Beattys Now” (Squeal)

BuckeyeSam on February 13, 2009 at 11:49 AM

SKYFOX on February 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Teach he how to fight back and how to convince others to fight back. You’ll be doing America a great service.

Limerick on February 13, 2009 at 11:49 AM

sorry…..HER not he

Limerick on February 13, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Gingrich also has a plan (that was no doubt given any consideration whatsoever)

scalleywag on February 13, 2009 at 11:52 AM

SKYFOX on February 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I’m not shamed of America, but I know how you’re feeling and agree with the rest of your statement.

Abby Adams on February 13, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Grafted on February 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I agree. I commented yesterday. If I’m leading the terrorists, I hit very soon with something big. It will get blamed on Bush and Obama will be a lock for a second term. In the meantime, Obama will continue to dismantle our defense and intelligence. And for Obama’s second term, it will be one attack after another.

BuckeyeSam on February 13, 2009 at 11:53 AM

I mean Mark Garnett-not Mark the Great.
Duh.

Badger40 on February 13, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Would you take out a car loan without looking at the papers? I didn’t think so. But congress is only spending about $1 trillion, which is different, or something.

stonemeister on February 13, 2009 at 12:04 PM

*Smacks forehead Homer Simpson style*

DOH!!!!

Yakko77 on February 13, 2009 at 12:05 PM

MM says on her site that vote in House set for 1:30 EST.

Wethal on February 13, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Fox is reporting that Coburn is going to stall this vote until he can read it, which means voting on Saturday. Don’t know what that means, just throwing it out there.

Knucklehead on February 13, 2009 at 12:09 PM

BuckeyeSam on February 13, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Actualy, until the Bush’s, every war we’ve been in has been started by the more Liberal party.

Remember Republicans were the more Liberal Party for the Civil War…

then WW1, WW2, Korean… even Viet Nam, were wars with dem Presidents (at least at the start).

An attack on the US will be seen by the Obama admin as a crises, but they will see it as an opportunity as well… Wartime during an economice crises? They will Nationalize all types of industries..

Romeo13 on February 13, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Romeo13 on February 13, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Which is why I believe that if Washington were here now, he’d definitely be a conservative in more ways than one. But he’d definitely be against nationalization or any type of confiscation during war-time. He refused to do so even during the terrible events at Valley Forge.

Badger40 on February 13, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Knucklehead on February 13, 2009 at 12:09 PM

He may refuse unanimous consent to waive reading of the bill. So it has to be read out loud. I think Sessions or DeMint did this with amnesty. It stalls it until the reading is done. Then it’s the cloture vote, I think.

Wethal on February 13, 2009 at 12:22 PM

I am fearful that we have entered the final phase of American history.

oldleprechaun on February 13, 2009 at 12:24 PM

I mean Mark Garnett-not Mark the Great.
Duh.

Badger40 on February 13, 2009 at 12:01 PM

You had it right…

I am GREAT!

rofl

Mark Garnett on February 13, 2009 at 12:24 PM

These things are written so that even if you do read it, it is impossible to comprehend.

Big Wally 47 on February 13, 2009 at 12:25 PM

I am fearful that we have entered the final phase of American history.

oldleprechaun on February 13, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Don’t despair. My husband & nephew have discussed this & they are going to form their own country right here in SW ND.
You can come & join us if you want.
I’ll save you a place down on the river.

Badger40 on February 13, 2009 at 12:27 PM

By the time Obama gets through with the military, pink uniformed soldiers will exchange limp-wristed waves in lieu of smart salutes. This should be accomplished near the end of his first term and THAT’S the time the enemy should attack.

MaiDee on February 13, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Will America Be Able to Stomach This Much Hubris?
As transparent as your average bowling ball, the procedure for spending nearly $1 trillion of ours and the next three or four generation’s money managed to pushed the stimulus bill out of conference for a quick and dirty vote on the floor of the House.Here are the provisions for the procedures of today’s vote, taken directly from the Conference Report to Accompany H.R. 1 from the House Committee on Rules, passed 9-4 under the direction of committee chair Rep. Louise M. Slaughter (D-NY).

Conference Report to accompany H.R. 1 –American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 20091. Waives all points of order against consideration of the conference report except those arising under clause 9 of rule XXI.2. Provides that the conference report shall be considered as read.3. Waives all points of order against the conference report. This waiver does not affect the point of order available under clause 9 of rule XXI (regarding earmark disclosure).4. Provides 90 minutes of debate on the conference report.5. Provides one motion to recommit if applicable.

For the uninitiated that is what speed-track language looks like. Since the conference reported sometime around midnight last evening, this leaves precious little time for congressional representatives to weigh their conscience and cast informed votes. This must rank as one of the most flagrant abrogations of the compact between government and the people as has occurred in the history of the Union. I am ashamed to say that the only Republican to vote YEA for stamping this bill for its one-way ticket on the express train to Hades was none other than my own state’s Rep. Doc Hastings from the Washington 4th District. Way to go, Doc. Despite the sizable “investments” in the Department of Agriculture and the Bonneville Power Administration, when the voters realize that most of the money is going to benefit federal employees already on the payroll, not create jobs or improve economic conditions in your district, they can come and ask you why you didn’t think it was worth discussing in the public air.(I am willing to offer a special gift to the first person who leaves a comment on my blog (http://www.unequaltime.com) about at the top of this post and how it is apropos to what is happening in Congress.)###Technorati Tags: Doc Hastings,Stimulus of 2009,Barack Obama

bryanmyrick on February 13, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Why is it CNSNews.com asking these questions while CBS, ABC, CNN, NBC, FoxNews, the NYT, etc… are all obsessing over the octomom? Or serving up other puff pieces?

29Victor on February 13, 2009 at 12:33 PM

I wish our Military would mass resign. General after General, soldier after soldier calling out The Messiah and Liberal traitors on TV’s across America.

Mark Garnett on February 13, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Conference Report to accompany H.R. 1 –

American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009

2. Provides that the conference report shall be considered as read.

4. Provides 90 minutes of debate on the conference report.

5. Provides one motion to recommit if applicable.

(I am willing to offer a special gift to the first person who leaves a comment on my blog (http://www.unequaltime.com) about at the top of the page and why it is apropos to what is happening in Congress.)

bryanmyrick on February 13, 2009 at 12:34 PM

The never read the bills.

Silly argument.

getalife on February 13, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Can’t link cause its from CNN, but check this out: -

Headline: Senate Democrats optimistic about 2010, targeting nine states

The DSCC chief added a combination of local and national factors make four other Republican-held seats vulnerable — Louisiana,- North Carolina, Kentucky and Pennsylvania.

Incumbent Republican senators are particularly vulnerable, Menendez said, because of their “Bush like” approach the nation’s sputtering economy and overwhelming opposition to the White House-backed stimulus bill.

Like Sen. Specter? Is this ignorance on Menendez’ part, or a warning to Specter not to darest oppose the Messiah’s team?

Buy Danish on February 13, 2009 at 12:43 PM

I mean Mark Garnett-not Mark the Great.
Duh.

Badger40 on February 13, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Your Messiah said he would post ALL bills for 5 days prior to votes so Americans could see them…

HE LIED! Your a LIAR for trying to defend his outright, blatent LIE!

Mark Garnett on February 13, 2009 at 12:43 PM

The never read the bills.

Silly argument.

getalife on February 13, 2009 at 12:40 PM

My above post was intended for GetTheFacts, not you Badger, my bad!

Mark Garnett on February 13, 2009 at 12:44 PM

I can’t say I’m ashamed of America, but I’m deeply ashamed of the Americans who can’t bother to be honest about Obama and what he’s trying to do to this country, and I’m deeply ashamed of the Americans who are oblivious to politics, and refuse to become involved; Americans who claim to be too busy with their own lives to care what Washington does. Sheesh. This is huge and it will have “catastophic” consequences, and those same oblivious Americans will be the first to complain about our nation.

anniekc on February 13, 2009 at 12:44 PM

I posted days ago that exactly ZERO had read the entire bill. In our alleged system of checks and balances, it therefore falls upon the executive branch to have someone read the entire thing.

I’m looking at you, Barry.

Christien on February 13, 2009 at 12:52 PM

If only our Congressmen, heck, just one Congressman, would point out the unconstitutionality of this bill, all aspects of this bill that aren’t covered by the enumerated powers, we’d be in a much better position. It’d force the Democrats Marxists to admit that they don’t care what the Constitution states, which should prod the courts into action upon passage of this bill.
We, as Americans, shouldn’t even be talking about the economics aspect of this bill until we know if it’s constitutional or not. If we claim to be a Constitutional Republic, then we need to start with the Constitution, not economics or pragmatism. The Marxists have won the cultural hegemony. They’ve convinced people that the Constitution is a “living, breathing, open” document (much the same as they’ve convinced most Christians the same goes for the Bible). That’s why, even on sites as “conservative” as this one and MM, the only political arguments we see are pragmatist arguments vs. arguments based upon our bedrock document: the Constitution.
Whether folks are willing to acknowledge it or not, we are a socialist country. Read the Constitution, then compare it with our current government, society and culture.

Send_Me on February 13, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Whether it will work or not is a distraction.

The real pupose is to destroy the middle class and insure the ruling oligarchy is in charge forever.

And burdening future generations with unpayable bills will do just that.

notagool on February 13, 2009 at 1:01 PM

anniekc on February 13, 2009 at 12:44 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with your post. I thought the wake-call would come sooner rather than later. I am anxious to hear the complaints but unfortunately when it comes, it won’t even matter.

sherry on February 13, 2009 at 1:02 PM

did you see SEn Graham on Greta last night? he said he was “embarrassed”. and he said he hadn’t had time to read & doubted anyone else had either.

kelley in virginia on February 13, 2009 at 1:06 PM

ok, the bill will pass. but we are pissed. and with the next bank bailout bill, more people will be pissed. and with the stock market tanking, even more people will be pissed. and with california raising taxes, some people out there may actually be pissed. so in a way, progress is being made.

kelley in virginia on February 13, 2009 at 1:08 PM

kelley in virginia on February 13, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Yes, I saw it and I noticed that he was exasperated towards the end. You could hear the defeat in his voice.

sherry on February 13, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Your a LIAR for trying to defend his outright, blatent LIE!

Mark Garnett on February 13, 2009 at 12:43 PM

WTF r u talking about?!
I hope you’re joking here. Bcs if not, I am clueless.

Badger40 on February 13, 2009 at 1:10 PM

kelley in virginia on February 13, 2009 at 1:08 PM

I don’t want to be pessimistic here, but CA’s will be pi$$ed. Then they will move to another conservative area & turn it into another liberal cesspool, like what happened to WA-state.

Badger40 on February 13, 2009 at 1:11 PM

kelley in virginia on February 13, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Disagree, wish you were right, but Americans are too lazy. We see the radical, the gays, the evrio-wacks and the far left protest, make noise, own the media, riot. Meanwhile, Conservatists go to work, tend to family, go to church and be with our children. So until we change as Conservatives and fight back and march and protest and elect real Conservatives we will continue to lose and so will America.

Mark Garnett on February 13, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Your a LIAR for trying to defend his outright, blatent LIE!

Mark Garnett on February 13, 2009 at 12:43 PM
WTF r u talking about?!
I hope you’re joking here. Bcs if not, I am clueless.

Badger40 on February 13, 2009 at 1:10 PM

I got my quote thingy all bent out of shape… That comment was intended for Getalife… Read the post from her and the one below your quoted… I made an attempt to correct.

Mark Garnett on February 13, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Ut-Oh, they are reporting some House Republicans will vote yes.

READY…SET…GET YOUR TORCHES…

AprilOrit on February 13, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Ut-Oh, they are reporting some House Republicans will vote yes.

Debate is over and will see how many in the taliban party will vote yes.

getalife on February 13, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Mark Garnett on February 13, 2009 at 1:15 PM

I figured.
I was hoping I wasn’t crazy.

Badger40 on February 13, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Debate is over and will see how many in the taliban party will vote yes.

getalife on February 13, 2009 at 1:21 PM

No worries, your Messaih and the Taliban party are ALL in favor of death to America.

Mark Garnett on February 13, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Your leader is crying on the floor again.

Poor guy does not have any bribery checks to hand out on the floor before a vote anymore.

getalife on February 13, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Easy, big fella. One attack inside this country and The Big Zero is finished.

platypus on February 13, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Why would they interrupt with an attack when we’re doing such a thorough job of destroying ourselves? Ugh.

petefrt on February 13, 2009 at 1:38 PM

The Government pretends to fail.

Better you think they’re a bunch of clowns instead of what they really are.

Trust me on this, if a bill was placed before them that would limit their freedom and power…they would read it. Twice.

I think it might be better to live in a country that is already a socialist nightmare, at least then I can avoid the “birth pangs”.

It only gets worse from here.

Dorvillian on February 13, 2009 at 2:33 PM

We’ve taken in too many people from countries with failed economies and collectivist mentalities without properly educating them and their children (or our own, for that matter) about capitalism and the American tradition in individual responsibility and prosperity. It’s finally gotten to the point where there is a large enough voting bloc of people who don’t understand why waiting for Big Government to solve every individual’s private problem and to provide for all of their needs is not only distinctly un-American, but historically shown to always end in abject failure for everyone but government insiders.

Congress knows that this bill will not stimulate, but in fact do serious harm to our economy. As the only beneficiaries of a broken economy, statist politicians and their cronies would love to prolong the suffering for as long as possible. Creating fear and panic is their best means to achieving their goals – which, I suspect, have a lot more to do with increasing and maintaining their power than any actual idealogical beliefs. Socialism is the symptom of an even more serious disease – power lust.

Sign of the Dollar on February 13, 2009 at 3:33 PM

For all they know, they could be passing a law that legalizes the murder of 10 year old red haired American boys with freckles! To vote and pass anything, let alone something of this magnitude without allowing the public to see it,, while even members of congress do not barely know what they are even voting on,, this is just incredible.
These people are insane! They are dangerous! What more words are there to use???
The secret service should be protecting us from them??!! Where do we go to get body guards??? This is a freight train and it is headed right towards the middle of our eyes!!!
Passing the largest spending fraud, expansion of government in our history,, a bill that could destroy our nation and these buffoons are crossing their fingers hoping it’ll all be ok,,, admitting they have not even read the bill!!??
Dear God,,, please,,, if only some smart conservative managed to tuck in a new law ending the term of the current President to Modnay at midnight and replacing him with Gov Palin for 12 years !! And another law simultaneously abolishing the terms of all current members of Democrats in congress and replacing them all with an equal random number of life time members of the NRA! God,,, if only!!

JellyToast on February 13, 2009 at 4:31 PM

So the Dems pass the largest spending bill in our history under the guise of saving our economy that no one has had the chance to read … intended to address the economic crisis that was put into motion by home buyers who signed mortgage contracts without reading or understanding what they were signing?

Texas Gal on February 13, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Glenn Thrush at Politico reports that:

“A devilishly clever last-minute insert to the House version of the stimulus bill has made it through the conference report — a requirement that governors spend their stimulus allocations within 45 days.

The provision isn’t likely to have a real-world impact, but it forces Republican governors who opposed the stimulus (e.g. South Carolina’s Mark Sanford) and many other GOP governors who sat on the fence for fear of bucking their party — to publicly accept or decline the aid. And when they do accept it — and it’s hard to see a scenario where they wouldn’t given their deficits — Democrats get to call them craven or hypocritical or both.

In the unlikely event they do reject the money, authority for spending the cash would revert to State legislatures, who would likely be under even more political pressure to spend it than chief executives.

“Our governor has repeatedly expressed political and philosophical aversion to using federal assistance as we work our way out of the economic conditions that are visiting significant difficulties upon businesses and families throughout our beloved state,” Clyburn said after the House vote.”

Hardball.

getalife on February 13, 2009 at 10:47 AM

From a thread below.

Wethal on February 13, 2009 at 10:48 AM

The Democrats might think they’re being devilishly clever, but they could also be putting the noose around their own necks.

ddrintn on February 13, 2009 at 4:57 PM

The United States has more debt than all third world countries combined. So you’re not far off the mark.

But let me ask you this- where was the complaining when Bush added over $4 trillion of debt to the nation’s balance sheet- and for no good reason? There was no eminent depression, no failing banks… nothing but a desire to lower taxes during a time of war and higher spending. At least now, there’s a real justification for what can only be described as another large charge on the national credit card. And perhaps the larger problems is that because the nation is under such massive debt, we cannot spend as much as is needed to definitely end this recession and restore confidence.

bayam on February 13, 2009 at 5:18 PM

FOr a guy who we don’t even know is legally the President 20 days into the friggin questionable Presidency.

johnnyU on February 13, 2009 at 6:39 PM

I emailed the RNC (chairman@gop.com) and said not red cent until Snowe, Collins, and Specter are ex-communicated.

Let’s roll. And BOYCOTT MAINE!

ex-Democrat on February 13, 2009 at 9:28 PM

I have read the 1,000 plus pages of the ‘StickittoU.S.’ Bill. It is easy, the first 675 pages are redaction’s of the original 759 pages (before it went to the Senate).

It took me two days to read it and digest it. It does not stimulate anything except the body’s sleep center. Seriously, it is easy to find the pork – the Demoncrates did not even try to hide their wasteful ways.

MSGTAS on February 14, 2009 at 9:34 AM