Final stimulus vote in Senate imminent; Update: 57 yeses, three Dems still to vote

posted at 5:10 pm on February 13, 2009 by Allahpundit

The bomb’s set to drop at 5:30 p.m. 60 votes or bust, right? Wrong: Sherrod Brown’s in Ohio for his mother’s funeral and will be flying in later, which is why Reid’s planning to hold the vote open for hours after it’s done. If they get to 59 at 5:30, Brown will make it official tonight; if, in a surprise show of backbone, one of the centrists defects and they land at 58, presumably there’ll be a mad scramble to fly Teddy in from Florida. He’s scheduled to miss the vote — for now.

While we wait, here’s ProPublica’s line-by-line breakdown of what’s in the bill. Or, if you want just the dirty bits, try this. Live coverage is online at C-SPAN2, as usual.

Update: Because the vote’s being held open for Brown, we’re not going to get a final tally for hours yet. But Collins, Specter, and Snowe have all voted yes, and needless to say, no Democrat’s going to torpedo The One’s moment by switching. The deed is done.

Update: As of 6:20 p.m., there are 57 yes votes in the books with Bayh, Gillibrand, and of course Brown yet to show and add theirs. Done deal.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 7 8 9 10

They cannot force the Fed to print dollars. They have to borrow the money.

Mmmmm hmmmm…or they can just raise taxes.

They will do all three – in the good old days we would just invade a country and take their stuff. This is what Obama did but I will be damned if he takes my stuff.

izoneguy on February 13, 2009 at 11:31 PM

BuckeyeSam on February 13, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Oops. Slightly wrong.

Here’s the portion from S-CHIP that passed.

SEC. 704. TIME FOR PAYMENT OF CORPORATE ESTIMATED TAXES.

The percentage under subparagraph (C) of section 401(1) of the Tax Increase Prevention and Reconciliation Act of 2005 in effect on the date of the enactment of this Act is increased by 0.5 percentage point.

It took me a second to read through TIRPA. Basically, the increase in S-CHIP refers to the amount of corporate tax that needs to be paid to the government.

TITLE IV–CORPORATE ESTIMATED TAX PROVISIONS

SEC. 401. TIME FOR PAYMENT OF CORPORATE ESTIMATED TAXES.

Notwithstanding section 6655 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986–

(1) in the case of a corporation with assets of not less than $1,000,000,000 (determined as of the end of the preceding taxable year)–

(A) the amount of any required installment of corporate estimated tax which is otherwise due in July, August, or September of 2006 shall be 105 percent of such amount,

(B) the amount of any required installment of corporate estimated tax which is otherwise due in July, August, or September of 2012 shall be 106.25 percent of such amount,

(C) the amount of any required installment of corporate estimated tax which is otherwise due in July, August, or September of 2013 shall be 100.75 percent of such amount, and

OK. So corporations have to pay 101.25 percent of their taxes starting in 2013.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 13, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Is there some procedural move in the event that a vote doesn’t finalize the same day in which it was initiated? I don’t imagine they can leave this stupid thing open indefinately, can they?

Grasping at straws…

gatorboy on February 13, 2009 at 11:33 PM

gatorboy on February 13, 2009 at 11:33 PM

They can leave their votes open for however long they want. It’s up to the Presiding Officer.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 13, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Never in my life did I ever think I would live to see a time like this. Every day now I wonder how many days are left to go before our economy and government collapses. Will there be riots? Will our store shelves be empty? Will Obama impose martial law?? Will one night I awake to an angry mob in my neighborhood??

JellyToast on February 13, 2009 at 9:30 PM

There was an incident in the period of the Gracchi during the Roman Republic where a Senator was killed and his body burnt in the Senate. Until something like that happens, I plan on remaining calm. That said, I oppose everything Obama stands for and if for whatever reason he stopped breathing in the next 24 hours, I don’t see myself shedding any tears.

venividivici on February 13, 2009 at 11:39 PM

A trillion dollars, with interest. And not one person in Congress even read it.

And they wonder why we hate them.

Blacksheep on February 14, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Dingy Harry….

“three brave Republicans”

Bastage. (Can I say that?)

Alana on February 14, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Look, take careful note how the libs did this. When we take over, and it will happen sooner or later, we just do the same thing.
We bundle in all our goals (eliminate NEA, PBS, Amtrak, privatize social security etc.) and ram it through in the middle of the night.
Everyone acts like what libs do can’t be undone. That’s crap. They undo everything we do right away. There’s no reason we can’t do the same, except for lack of will.

Iblis on February 14, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Blacksheep,

The only ones who would have tried to have staff even attempt to read it would have been those who voted against it.

It’s beyond irresponsible–I don’t know if the word exists that describes it.

INC on February 14, 2009 at 12:13 AM

Amazing that no Dem senators revolted.

UncleZeb on February 13, 2009 at 8:59 PM

They all revolted me; still do.

Kensington on February 14, 2009 at 12:19 AM

Does anyone know what kind of stupid global warming nonsense is being shoved down our throats in this bill?

Kensington on February 14, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Something occurred to me earlier. I live in the Panhandle of Texas (Thornberry’s district to be exact). That means I have two Republican Senators and a Republican Congressman. Now from all reports, there were NO Republicans allowed in to craft the stimulus. So wouldn’t that mean that I’m being taxed without being represented? Didn’t we go to war over that one time or something?

UnderstandingisPower on February 14, 2009 at 12:22 AM

UnderstandingisPower,

I have a dim memory that something like that once happened.

INC on February 14, 2009 at 12:26 AM

Time for Michael Steele to prove his leadership capabilities and expel the 3 traitors. F all of them.

SouthernGent on February 14, 2009 at 12:39 AM

Jean-Paul Sartre stated ‘man is condemned to be douchey because once thrown into the world he is responsible for every douchey thing that he does.’

Snippy, thor and warren are here for a reason.

On this sad day note that some justice was done. H/T to Patterico.

Mr. Joe on February 14, 2009 at 12:40 AM

Suck. Not surprising, but still awful. Even if you see the truck coming it still hurts.

Has anyone heard anything about this?: http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-hj5/show

It is the proposed amendment to remove the President’s term limits. I kid not.

blankminde on February 14, 2009 at 12:45 AM

Sorry, but it’s over, the rabble have won. All of us real Americans were too busy making a better life for ourselves and our families while the liberal/communist/socialist scum were working day and night to infiltrate and undermine everything our blessed Founding Fathers intended. Now in control, they will import and make legal the necessary numbers to insure their strangle-hold on power. Remember, they own the media, the bureaucracy and the educational system, oh, did I mention the Senate, House and Presidency? Stock up on food, water, ammo, gold, and if necessary, go down fighting.

ernie on February 14, 2009 at 1:00 AM

Another completely random thought…

10% unemployment would mean about 32 million without work. According to estimates the illegal alien population is somewhere between 12 million and 20 million. If they were forced to leave and AMERICANS could once again get American jobs…

Well, of course, that would be far too logical for our brilliant Congress who can read, digest, and debate 1,071 pages of tedium and stupidity in 11 hours.

UnderstandingisPower on February 14, 2009 at 1:00 AM

To the sentors & congressmen who voted for this.You have awaking a sleeping giant the american people and he is filled with anger the likes of you have never seen.Soon all of you will come to realize that you WORK for the american people.We will take back our country it belongs to all of us not just the few jerks in D.C..We are not sheep that you can just lead around we are a free people that are guided by God and the United States Const.

thmcbb on February 14, 2009 at 1:01 AM

What I worry about now that this bill passed that there will be many people in America that will be looking for The One to give them a free house and a job. I think with him campaining for this bill and giving out goodies to the people in the audience is going to have a negative effect on all of us when they find out that there is no free housing or jobs in this piece of crap. Now what happens? How long do we wait? How long til the next we have to pass this thing today piece of crap bill is being forced on the American People? Such a sad day.

Brat4life on February 14, 2009 at 1:08 AM

The audacity of hope was for his campaign
Fear and demonetization will be for his reign
His candidacy was rather like that of a Henry Houdini
His presidency is shaping up to be much more like that of a Benito Mussolini

MB4 on February 14, 2009 at 1:43 AM

Rigga-fratta-ragga-rigga

The Friday the 13th Stimulus broke my foot! And NO I didn’t kick anything because of the Democraps(the footboard jumped out at attacked me). Where is national health care when you need it?

The Sunday morning talking heads will be all about the bipartisanship because of three Vichy elephants. The peeps will believe it lock, stock, and barrel.

Limerick on February 14, 2009 at 1:53 AM

Antichristapalooza!

Kensington on February 14, 2009 at 2:06 AM

UnderstandingisPower on February 14, 2009 at 1:00 AM

In their backroom, middle of the night dealings last night, Pelosi and Reid reportedly stripped the bill of the E-Verify provision and insured that illegal aliens will be eligible to get the “stimulus”-created jobs we’re paying so much for. It’s going to be interesting to see how Americans react to seeing their kids’ and grandkids’ future mortgaged so that illegal aliens can be given taxpayer-funded jobs at a time when millions of Americans are desperate for work.

Phoenix is so overrun with Mexican drug criminals that it’s now the number 2 city in the world for kidnappings, second only to Mexico City. Illegal aliens are already costing US taxpayers tens of billions of dollars every year, yet Pelosi and Reid keep putting out the welcome mat for more. When is it going to stop?

When are We the People going to stand up and insist that this nonsense stops?

AZCoyote on February 14, 2009 at 2:47 AM

Talking about the mentally ill:

“The GOP is borderline autistic in its understanding of the necessary to-and-fro of democratic government. Or rather: its ideological nature prevents it from engaging in the actual tasks of pragmatic government.”

Andrew “The Conservative Soul” Sullivan

Sullivan Says: Respect Mah Authoritah!

Mr. Joe on February 14, 2009 at 2:50 AM

When are We the People going to stand up and insist resist that this nonsense stops?

AZCoyote on February 14, 2009 at 2:47 AM

Limerick on February 14, 2009 at 2:50 AM

AZCoyote on February 14, 2009 at 2:47 AM

Bought and paid for Pelosi and Reid must satisfy their campaign contributors who want serf labor.

MB4 on February 14, 2009 at 2:52 AM

Sullivan Says: Respect Mah Authoritah!

Mr. Joe on February 14, 2009 at 2:50 AM

Andrew Sullivan is clearly a fascist at heart.

MB4 on February 14, 2009 at 2:55 AM

OT: Reason #564 I watch FOX News:

Patti Ann Browne is on Red Eye right now.

eaglescout1998 on February 14, 2009 at 3:09 AM

AZCoyote Funny anecdote. I was at a barber shop/ hair salon recently and after some greetings and a check as to whether they could accommodate my son, I was asked how I was doing. I replied fine but I was short of cash this month and would be doing better if my son’s haircut was free. Now this was a reasonably tres chic salon in the suburbs with several younger, fashionable women within earshot. The owner, a good looking lady with a foreign accent and little knowledge of our politics, was closest to the door and me. She said: “No charge? No, no free stuff is no good. I can’t give my work away or soon I have no business cause my billmakers take everything or I lose all my workers. Forget that. Giving away does not work.” I answered slightly loudly and clearly: “Could you tell our congress that?”

When I walked by the three or four women customers, I shall not say that I got daggers from their eyes, but I did get what used to be called dry looks.

IlikedAUH2O on February 14, 2009 at 3:57 AM

SouthernGent on February 14, 2009 at 12:39 AM

Steele could have called the traitors this morning and warned them not to vote for the looter bill, but he didn’t. I’ve been searching all over for some comment by Steele regarding the traitors. I’ve found none.

Steele is exactly what I thought he was. I knew he would go into hiding during this stimulus vote because it provided him with a clear opportunity to make himself useful to Republicans and influence the vote.

Buddahpundit on February 14, 2009 at 4:10 AM

AZCoyote on February 14, 2009 at 2:47 AM

Limerick on February 14, 2009 at 2:50 AM

Here here!

I’ve been hoping somebody would pick up the charge here on Hot Air – perhaps it is time the USERS orgainize?!?!

Monday is Washington’s birthday. A national holiday and a perfect opportunity to organize state capitol marches, DC marches, etc.

Ideally we would have more time to organize – but in this instance it seems an immediate response is required.

We can use these local events as a stepping stone for larger events. We will meet others who think similarly and can start our own little network of protests.

Time to heed Rahm’s advice. We cannot let the opportunity this crisis has created slip away.

UNITE AND MARCH!

Mr Purple on February 14, 2009 at 5:18 AM

I’ll start.

I will be at the State Capitol in Sacramento on Monday at 12:00.

I don’t care if it is just me. I am done sitting and waiting.

Hopefully we can have people at all 57 state capitols. ;-)

Mr Purple on February 14, 2009 at 5:21 AM

It’s not over, but we have a tough fight ahead. We have to do this one community at a time. After the election I commented on one of these threads that I was going to run for city council. Well, my nomination petition is almost ready for submission. I’m doing this.

Get involved. Run for something. Let’s restore America, one community at a time.

pugwriter on February 14, 2009 at 6:14 AM

That’s the spirit, pug!

I too have stepped up my local political efforts – and joined the RNC.

I don’t think I’m elected official material. There could be scandals.

I’m more the stone-thrower type.

Mr Purple on February 14, 2009 at 6:23 AM

Bill O’Reilly on his show Friday evening compared Obama’s resolve to pass this legislation to Bush’s resolve in the Iraq war, stating “no one was going to change their minds on these decisions”. What O’Reilly does not conceive is that the Iraq war will be long over and the total cost to this nation for liberating 30 million Iraqis will be a drop in the bucket compared to the total cost that Obama will put on the backs of generations who will someday ask, “what were you thinking”.

Rovin on February 14, 2009 at 7:09 AM

SouthernGent on February 14, 2009 at 12:39 AM

Steele has become on the right what Obama is on the left. Everyone expects him to wave a magic wand and suddenly transform the GOP into an army of Reagans. Steele won’t do jack shit. His silence on Snowe, Collins and Specter is all you need to know.

angryed on February 14, 2009 at 8:01 AM

UnderstandingisPower on February 14, 2009 at 1:00 AM

I agree in principle but your math is wrong. Unemployment is a % of the labor force that is without work. Not the whole population. So 10% equals about 12 million unemployed Americans.

And not to go all LA RAZA here, but I doubt the software engineers or mortgage brokers laid off and looking for work will be out picking lettuce in California any time soon, if the illegals all go away.

We need this recession. We need to take the wring the excess out of the economy. You can’t have never ending growth. You need periods of contraction to sustain a healthy long term economy. Of course nobody in the MSM or DC will ever tell you that.

angryed on February 14, 2009 at 8:06 AM

ok. Lets see if I have this right. A rouge group is in office and voting in things they just feel like doing, in the 100′s of billions of dollars without seeing it, is threatening our free speech rights, and blindly signing off on lord knows what into laws made behind closed doors. Folks it looks like this President is doing the very things we suspected in quietly running off on some agenda which we don’t know, he’s taken the fast lane to the White-House, and is rapidly worsening things which has been headlined as the #1 threat to our nation. Now, where are the riots? WTF is going on?
The LibDems I know are are walking around quiet. They always do that when they are in the wrong and know it. Sooo, what next? Civil war again?

I strongly believe crimes have been committed in this passing and the American People are not being properly represented. Then Obama runs off on weekends to show up monday morning and sign off on this. Un fricking real. Absolutely unreal.

johnnyU on February 14, 2009 at 8:16 AM

2010 can’t come fast enough

johnnyU on February 14, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Obama’s Abomination!

canopfor on February 13, 2009 at 11:16 PM

O-Bomination!

DannoJyd on February 14, 2009 at 8:22 AM

I wrote to Michael Steele at GOP.com and asked if any donation I make would go to Specter, Collins, or Snowe. Because if it does, I’m not donating. We should all let Michael Steele know that.

beatcanvas on February 14, 2009 at 8:53 AM

People from Republican states shouldn’t get any stimulus funds, now that sounds about fair.

DeathToMediaHacks on February 14, 2009 at 9:00 AM

DeathToMediaHacks on February 14, 2009 at 9:00 AM

So you’re one of shipley’s ilk who gobbles up the little balls of shit that roll out of his mouth…..

Your breath smells….have a tic-tac. Hell, have a whole box of tic-tac’s.

csdeven on February 14, 2009 at 9:18 AM

I believe it is time to reestablish the CSA adding the sensible states in “fly over” country. It is almost beyond belief that the republicans couldn’t turn at least one of those three idiots around.

duff65 on February 14, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Obama, the Dems, and the three Stooges killed the goose that lays the golden egg on Friday 13, 2009.

onlineanalyst on February 14, 2009 at 9:24 AM

angryed on February 14, 2009 at 8:01 AM

I keep having this feeling that if we push to get rid of these three, the people of those states elect far left dems in their place.

But, considering the damage they have done to this country with their votes, I can’t foresee a piece of legislation coming up that will justify keeping them around simply because they have an “R” next to their name and might vote for it. This bill was their chance to show what side they’re on. Now we know.

Also, Specter is on the judiciary and I’m sure will vote to confirm every one of Oslime-a’s liberal Supreme Court nominees.

There are dark, dark days ahead for this country. I just pray we came come back from it when the idiots of this country come to their senses.

csdeven on February 14, 2009 at 9:27 AM

The failed Democrat leadership lives in a bubble. Only a responsible media can prick the Pricks.

onlineanalyst on February 14, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Sad. Remember when Conservatives were pumped up over Sarah Palin and the money flowed in. Imagine if Porkulous went down with 100% of Republicans voting together. I went to RNC.org and demanded removal of my address, phone, and e-mail from their files (yeah, fat chance) after the vote yesterday.

Marcus on February 14, 2009 at 9:30 AM

OK, first off, the Republicans voting yes are the ones showing backbone:

“When I came back to the cloak room after coming to the agreement a week ago today,” said Specter, “one of my colleagues said, ‘Arlen, I’m proud of you.’ My Republican colleague said, ‘Arlen, I’m proud of you.’ I said, ‘Are you going to vote with me?’ And he said, ‘No, I might have a primary.’ And I said, ‘Well, you know very well I’m going to have a primary.’”

Specter, along with centrist Maine Republican Senators Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe, joined with Democrats last week to move the stimulus bill forward. Specter said he doubted there would be any more Republican votes than those three Friday night.

“I think there are a lot of people in the Republican caucus who are glad to see this action taken without their fingerprints, without their participation,” he said.

It’s really no surprise that no House Republicans voted for the bill and only three in the Senate voted yes — despite the fact that Obama and the Dems worked with them to make the package more appealing and despite the fact that many of them WANT IT TO PASS.

It’s a no lose situation for them to vote no. If it does great, the Dems are positioned to do well in 2010 and 2012 and it probably won’t hurt them in their own districts because support for the bill probably isn’t high there.

If it tanks, then they’ll look like they were on the right side of things and poised to take political advantage of it. Really, it’s the smart play.

But please, please, please don’t say the three voting yes don’t have backbone. The ones who want it passed yet still vote no are the ones without backbone. The ones that voted yes are a study in backbone. They’ll likely to pay a high political price, but they are doing what they think is right.

And, I’m curious to know why you think it would be showing backbone to not vote for the bill, thus forces a man battling brain cancer to fly back from FLA to cast the deciding vote.

If any of those Republicans who want the bill passed, yet voted no had ANY backbone or sense of decency, they’d vote yes so that Brown wouldn’t have leave his mother’s wake to fly back, then return for the funeral. And even if they oppose it, they could switch their vote just so he wouldn’t have to make the trip.

Tom_Shipley on February 14, 2009 at 9:31 AM

csdeven on February 14, 2009 at 9:27 AM

A move by Steele to marginalize or oust the Three Stooges just might provide more responsible, fiscal conservatives to run in other state, however. The party will then visibly stand for identifiable values on behalf of Americans.

Specter will provide dramatic face-time on all hearings for judicial candidates but then go on to rubber stamp ALL Obama nominees. Believe it. Specter is the weasel who put the verv to Bork in the dictionary.

onlineanalyst on February 14, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Tom_Shipley on February 14, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Replace your feedbag….it’s full and over flowing.

csdeven on February 14, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Tom_Shipley on February 14, 2009 at 9:31 AM

#1, what is “a man battling brain cancer” still doing in the Senate now anyway, and #2, those “without backbones” who wanted to vote yes but voted no because of landslide demand from the people back home sound like they are doing what they were elected to do.

Marcus on February 14, 2009 at 9:42 AM

DeathToMediaHacks on February 14, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Since democrat states are the states that are in financial trouble, they should sleep in the the bed that they made.

Johan Klaus on February 14, 2009 at 9:42 AM

onlineanalyst on February 14, 2009 at 9:37 AM

You’re right. We made the mistake thinking McShamnesty was “good enough” to get elected when we should have been holding the line and demanding a real conservative. I think MAYBE the party has learned it’s lesson and will nominate a true conservative in 2012.

csdeven on February 14, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Reagan vs. Obama in their own words.

Mr. Joe on February 14, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Tom_Shipley on February 14, 2009 at 9:31 AM

You might be right Tom, but the quote you provided certainly doesn’t show that. Specter himself says ONE colleague praised him, and then “guessed” that others might also. In both cases, we have only Specter’s word.

Hardly proof of Republican perfidy on this issue.

JiangxiDad on February 14, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Andrew Sullivan is clearly a fascist at heart.

Andrew doesn’t have enough integrity or intellectual honesty to be a fascist. He’s, at best, a dilettante fascist.

Swat him on the nose with a rolled up newspaper, or lay out some particularly depraved pornography in his sightlines and you won’t hear another peep out of his deranged mouth.

Kensington on February 14, 2009 at 9:48 AM

csdeven on February 14, 2009 at 9:27 AM

What difference would it make?

Johan Klaus on February 14, 2009 at 9:49 AM

So, you’re a fan of consulting poll numbers before making decisions when governing? I thought that was a bad thing.

Plus, a rep doesn’t necessarily have to just vote the way a majority of his constituents a leaning. Being in Washington, he’s there to represent his people, not merely follow what the majority think. If a rep, after seeing a bill, thinks it is the best thing for the country and his constituents, can go back and make a case for it if his constituents are skeptical of it.

Again, to vote against the bill is an easy play for Republicans — no backbone required.

Tom_Shipley on February 14, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Hardly proof of Republican perfidy on this issue.

It’s not proof, but it’s certainly evidence.

Tom_Shipley on February 14, 2009 at 9:50 AM

csdeven on February 14, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Well, there has not been a conservative nominated since Reagan.

Johan Klaus on February 14, 2009 at 9:52 AM

If a rep, after

seeing a bill

Tom_Shipley on February 14, 2009 at 9:49 AM

There is a difference seeing the bill and reading the bill.(Which no one did.)

Johan Klaus on February 14, 2009 at 9:56 AM

I’m referring to building conservative numbers in Congress, where the real power lies anyway. Ask Pelosi and Reid about that point.

onlineanalyst on February 14, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Michael Steele Loves this stuff people! This is big government and he is a big government guy! He’s a RINO and the three nitwit Senators are his people! Get with the program! If you want to be a Republican, these are your guys! The GOP and the RNC will do nothing to punish these three they are heroes! They just pumped up the size of government which is what the Republicans are all about these days!

sabbott on February 14, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Reallllly now? How did Obama and the Democrats “work with” the Republicans?

Tom_Shipley on February 14, 2009 at 9:31 AM

“No lose”? On a bill that we’ve been told constantly is tremendous and backed by the public? It took a lot of guts to vote no. Maybe more Democrats could have had the guts to do the same in the matter of the Iraq war, instead of voting yes and then campaigning against the Republicans based on new-found opposition to the war. Now THAT would have taken guts.

ddrintn on February 14, 2009 at 10:02 AM

This bill was not rushed through to help Americans. This bill was rushed through because the Democrats were afraid that the American people would find out how superfluous and extravagant this piece of subterfuge called a “Stimulous” Bill really is.

kingsjester on February 14, 2009 at 10:03 AM

The largest spending bill in the history of America was just voted on and passed without one Republican representative having had the time to read through the entire 1,000+ pages. Republicans were locked out of the “writing” process, and were then given only hours to read the contents of this bill, with no time to debate any of the contents.

Tell us how this is bipartisan leadership as promised Shipley. This is thug control; pure power grab. No CHANGE, no HOPE; pure lust for power with raw resentment & hatred on display for the entire world to see.

The day will come when Republicans take back power once again. Republicans will then have the opportunity to use this huge government body Liberals are creating, and turn the beast lose on every Liberal policy ever created. Have your fun Shipley, the tide will turn once again and your beast will hunt the creators.

Keemo on February 14, 2009 at 10:11 AM

despite the fact that Obama and the Dems worked with them( Repubs)
Tom_Shipley on February 14, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Really? PROVE it. Where is the evidence of this? But keep telling yourself that if it helps you sleep at night.

javamartini on February 14, 2009 at 10:11 AM

I guess Specolsnow is serving up yellow snow to the GOP.

Mark30339 on February 14, 2009 at 10:13 AM

kingsjester on February 14, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Hi King, and don’t forget the importance of the photo op of him signing the bill on President’s Day. It’s all about the image and the history books for this man.

sherry on February 14, 2009 at 10:18 AM

sherry on February 14, 2009 at 10:18 AM

No kiddin’. Style Over Substance is the creed of the Democrats and Mr. President. It’s ironic that Obama will sign this bill into law on this day designed to honor the man who freed the slaves. This “Stimulous” Bill will make the American people slaves for decades to big government.

kingsjester on February 14, 2009 at 10:23 AM

kingsjester on February 14, 2009 at 10:23 AM

kj,
It’s not what you do, it’s how good you can make yourself look doing it.

thomasaur on February 14, 2009 at 10:30 AM

MSN is reporting there is CEO compenation “reform”… 11 pages worth, in the stimulus package…

First reports say it covers EXISTING bailout funds as well.

Wow…

Romeo13 on February 14, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Does anybody know what kind of award San Fran Nan is getting in Rome? Maybe it’s for “Most Creative Use of Botox in a Clueless Liberal Speaker of the House”.

kingsjester on February 14, 2009 at 10:35 AM

More from those who Shipley worships…

You can’t make up stuff better than this!
Ain’t politics grand? HURRAH FOR THE DEMOCRATS!
Jesse Jackson’s Newest Staff Member

Mel Reynolds
Jesse Jackson has added former Chicago Democrat Congressman Mel Reynolds to Rainbow/PUSH Coalition’s payroll. Reynolds was among the 176 criminals excused in President Clinton’s last-minute forgiveness spree. Reynolds received a commutation of his six-and-a-half-year federal sentence for 15 convictions of wire fraud, bank fraud, and lies to the Federal Election Commission. He is more notorious, however, for concurrently serving five years for sleeping with an underage campaign volunteer

This is a first in American politics: An ex-congressman who had sex with a subordinate…won clemency from a president who had sex with a subordinate…then was hired by a clergyman who had sex with a subordinate!

His new job?
Ready for this??
*****YOUTH COUNSELOR******

Is this a great country or not?

Keemo on February 14, 2009 at 10:36 AM

AZCoyote on February 14, 2009 at 2:47 AM

Limerick on February 14, 2009 at 2:50 AM

What does a resistance look like in this day and age?

ballz2wallz on February 14, 2009 at 10:43 AM

It passed.

The President will sign on Monday.

getalife on February 14, 2009 at 10:46 AM

For those of you who think Specter, Collins, & Snow will receive good treatment from their fellow Republicans in the Senate.. This piece is from powerlineblog.com…

Congressman John Shadegg of Arizona, one of the leading conservatives in the House of Representatives, sent this message to our readers:

In a truly rare event, the House has passed its so-called stimulus in the face of bipartisan opposition and without a single Republican vote – for the second time. That is because Nancy Pelosi and the Democrat-led Congress put their interests before those of the American people.

This bill is nothing more than a sordid wish list of paybacks, kickbacks and pork spending for special interests. Bernie Madoff himself would blush at this scheme. But it is not too late to end this Friday the 13th horror. Still standing between the American people and passage of this monstrosity is a Senate vote scheduled for 7 or 8pm EST tonight – and three Republican Senators who have supported this package and who have the power to stop it.

I hope Power Line readers will make your voices heard at this crucial hour by contacting these three Senators and urging them to vote against the so-called stimulus bill.

Sen. Arlen Specter: 202-224-4254
Sen. Olympia Snowe: 202-224-5344
Sen. Susan Collins: 202-224-2523

Thank you!
Congressman John Shadegg

Too late to do anything now, this just shows the level of resentment the three amigos can expect from this day forward…

Keemo on February 14, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Will we EVER get to know what is in it?

Who can we trust to tell us?

Both sides will manipulate the explanations of the details of this bill. Both sides will claim to accurately predict what will happen as a result of this bill. Everything Democrats say is a lie, but there is a lot of spin coming out of the GOP, too.

Huckabee, a human disgrace if there ever was one, was doing his best to hide the smirk on his face while talking about the bill on Hannity last night. I have seen the same upturn at the corners of the mouths of many GOP leaders, as if they are just performing a tired old comedy routine. On the other hand, I never see the same smirk on Huckabee’s face when he is busy trashing Romney out of nothing more than bald-faced religious bigotry.

So who among the sorry trash heap that is the GOP can we trust to tell us the truth about this stimulus bill? I think the answer is “NOBODY!”

jay12 on February 14, 2009 at 11:17 AM

jay12 on February 14, 2009 at 11:17 AM

The entire bill (as written) will be on the internet soon. Trust yourself Jay. In the meanwhile, here is some food for thought… (from Glen Beck)

I have been telling you about the You Are Not Alone project and the Nine Principles — principles that have made this country great.

I didn’t pull these out of thin air. I borrowed from scripture. I got them from the Founding Fathers. And honestly, a lot of these principles are just common sense.

This is not a partisan thing. This is not about elephant or donkey, liberal or conservative. This is about Americans making their voices heard.

Part 1 of this project: Read the Nine Principles. And, if you believe in at least seven of them, e-mail your photo to: wesurroundthem@foxnews.com

Now it is time for Step 2 and we add the 12 Values.

They are:

• Honesty
• Reverence
• Hope
• Thrift
• Humility
• Charity
• Sincerity
• Moderation
• Hard work
• Courage
• Personal responsibility
• Friendship

These 12 Values, coupled with the Nine Principles — and I’m telling you we can solve any problem.

You know, our problem right now is we’re looking to Washington to solve everything for us. And then, “Oh, we’ve got to bail all these banks out. We’ve got to do this. We’ve got to do that.”

We’re making decisions so rapidly right now and we’re not pegged to any principles. We’re not pegged to any values.

I think the problem that we are suffering from is greed and envy and a lack of honesty. So how do we solve that? The values and the principles will solve everything for us. We can figure out anything.

Reverence: Do we have real reverence in America anymore? Are people quiet? Are they listening to the small, still voice ever? Do you ponder things?

Thrift: That was one of Benjamin Franklin’s biggest things, thrift. Do we do that? Are we are thrifty on anything anymore? We live in a disposable society and it shows in the way we treat our environment to our stuff. We just get another one. It’s time to change that habit.

Personal responsibility: My gosh, I’m responsible for me and you’re responsible for you. We’ll help each other out. But I’m responsible. And you know what? This goes all the way to the biggest problems that we have.

Everybody is blaming Madoff or the bankers or Wall Street or Washington. But you know what? You know who ultimately is responsible for everything that we’re going through? Us. We, the people.

It really is, in many ways, our fault, because we have un-pegged from principles and values.

Keemo on February 14, 2009 at 11:26 AM

“GOP Votes Against Biggest Middle-Class Tax Cut In History”.

Good luck in the next elections you crazy kids.

getalife on February 14, 2009 at 11:26 AM

The audacity of hope was for his campaign
Fear and demonetization will be for his reign
His candidacy was rather like that of a Henry Houdini
His presidency is shaping up to be much more like that of a Benito Mussolini

I hope Obama ends up like Mussolini

izoneguy on February 14, 2009 at 11:29 AM

“GOP Votes Against Biggest Middle-Class Tax Cut In History”.

Good luck in the next elections you crazy kids.

getalife on February 14, 2009 at 11:26 AM

“Democraps end up bankrupting America”

Good luck in the next elections you crazy kids.

izoneguy on February 14, 2009 at 11:30 AM

It passed.

The President will sign on Monday.

What about waiting five days?

To reduce bills rushed through Congress and to the president before the public has the opportunity to review them, Obama “will not sign any non-emergency bill without giving the American public an opportunity to review and comment on the White House website for five days.”

I love how Obama twists words for his benefit.

izoneguy on February 14, 2009 at 11:33 AM

There is a strong argument that can be made that Benjamin Franklin was the greatest American ever.

To found a grass-roots movement based on the life and ideals of this great man to ‘take back America’ would be a great launching point and provide an intellectual foundation for its existence and hopefully eventual prominence.

technopeasant on February 14, 2009 at 11:33 AM

First reports say it covers EXISTING bailout funds as well.

Wow…

CEO’s fleeing with as much bail-out cash as they can, In 3…2…1….

Hell, I would probably stuff a billion in cold hard cash on my jet and go
where I could hire an army and tell Obama to get stuffed.
Let’s see how many abscond with some of the billions already paid out.

izoneguy on February 14, 2009 at 11:35 AM

getalife on February 14, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Another highly intellectual post….

Keemo on February 14, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Keemo on February 14, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Poor fellow was in desperate need of attention (notice the two posts). But he confirms exactly what works out there. MSM uses headlines to sway the easy targets because they know their readers won’t read past the big bold letters. Or maybe because they can’t.

sherry on February 14, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Another highly intellectual post

Thank you. Just call em like I see em.

getalife on February 14, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Not So Happy Days reported in the NYT Op-ed:

CONGRESS has made a terrible mistake. Amid a rhetorical debate centered on words like “crisis,” “emergency” and “catastrophe,” it acted too fast. While arguments were made about the stimulus bill’s specific components — taxpayer money for condoms, new green cars and golf carts for federal bureaucrats, another round of rebate checks — its more dangerous consequences were overlooked. And now the package threatens a return to the kind of stagflation last seen in the 1970s.

Mr. Joe on February 14, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Thank you. Just call em like I see em.
getalife on February 14, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Been to the Optometrist lately?

kingsjester on February 14, 2009 at 11:56 AM

sherry on February 14, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Yep, desperate is the key word you have used so well!

Keemo on February 14, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Here’s Michael Steele’s suggestion for dealing w/ the GOP traitors. Sounds good to me. Lets get calling and emailing leadership to yank those privileges.

chasdal on February 14, 2009 at 11:59 AM

“GOP Votes Against Biggest Middle-Class Tax Cut In History”.

Good luck in the next elections you crazy kids.

getalife on February 14, 2009 at 11:26 AM

That may be the MSM and DNC spin, but eventually all but the most brain-dead O-bots will see through the sham.

ddrintn on February 14, 2009 at 12:11 PM