Final stimulus vote in Senate imminent; Update: 57 yeses, three Dems still to vote

posted at 5:10 pm on February 13, 2009 by Allahpundit

The bomb’s set to drop at 5:30 p.m. 60 votes or bust, right? Wrong: Sherrod Brown’s in Ohio for his mother’s funeral and will be flying in later, which is why Reid’s planning to hold the vote open for hours after it’s done. If they get to 59 at 5:30, Brown will make it official tonight; if, in a surprise show of backbone, one of the centrists defects and they land at 58, presumably there’ll be a mad scramble to fly Teddy in from Florida. He’s scheduled to miss the vote — for now.

While we wait, here’s ProPublica’s line-by-line breakdown of what’s in the bill. Or, if you want just the dirty bits, try this. Live coverage is online at C-SPAN2, as usual.

Update: Because the vote’s being held open for Brown, we’re not going to get a final tally for hours yet. But Collins, Specter, and Snowe have all voted yes, and needless to say, no Democrat’s going to torpedo The One’s moment by switching. The deed is done.

Update: As of 6:20 p.m., there are 57 yes votes in the books with Bayh, Gillibrand, and of course Brown yet to show and add theirs. Done deal.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 10

All Hale The Userper & Cheat!

Capt-Dax on February 13, 2009 at 5:12 PM

• $140 million for volcano monitoring systems

*looks at the volcano*

Yep. Still there. Can I have $140 million please?

lorien1973 on February 13, 2009 at 5:13 PM

When the filthy liar promised change, he never promised good change.

This nation is so screwed and I am becoming hostile toward any of the idiots I see with Obama stickers on their cars. We are watching the death of a nation and it ain’t pretty.

highhopes on February 13, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Shhhhhhh!! I think I hear Taps being played.

WashJeff on February 13, 2009 at 5:15 PM

if you just want the dirty bits, try this

Funny thing, no harvest mouse. Why not? As I wrote in the comments for that item, the $30 million wasn’t set aside for marshland restoration, marshland restoration isn’t primarily for the mouse, and the project wasn’t in Pelosi’s district. Now we can ask whether ensuring that low-lying residents and companies like Oracle (20 miles south of Pelosi-ville) aren’t flooded is what federal funds should go for. (The Bush administration’s 2003 actions on these projects seem to answer an emphatic, “Yes,” and, given the post-Katrina attitude towards flooding and the Army Corps of Engineers, I think most of the nation agrees.) But stretching the facts to make a good story isn’t going to help anyone’s case. I hope Hot Air won’t take The New Republic approach to correction and will instead will put a correction to this where everyone can see it, since spitting out false talking points is a good way to lose a debate. There’s plenty of fault to find without fudging facts, folks.

calbear on February 13, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Yay for transparency!

Tacitus_SGL on February 13, 2009 at 5:17 PM

“if, in a surprise show of backbone, one of the centrists defects and they land at 58,”

Are you being sarcastic when you refer to them as centrists?

Hope so.

artist on February 13, 2009 at 5:17 PM

the Strategy: Pass this piece of crap on Friday afternoon to manage the news cycles.

jp on February 13, 2009 at 5:18 PM

The Bush administration’s 2003 actions on these projects seem to answer an emphatic, “Yes.”

Actually, to be fair, Bush never said this would be a “stimulus.” Again, we can find fault with the methods of funding without opposing — or misrepresenting — the goal.

calbear on February 13, 2009 at 5:18 PM

As expected, the cowardly, corrupt Democrat Oligarchs in the House of Barons passed the Harpy Harridan’s own bloated bill before she skips off (at taxpayer expense of course) for shopping in Rome.

While there is drama regarding the House of Lords vote, it will pass as well (can’t have friends of the Oligarchs get nothing). President Empty Suit will sign the Bill into law.

Liberals, Unions and illegal aliens will do the ‘Happy Happy Joy Joy’ Dance.

Taxpayers will take it in the shorts (again).

SeniorD on February 13, 2009 at 5:19 PM

I just took a fiver from my wallet, it turned into a nickel before my eyes.

Bishop on February 13, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Good to know someone has read it.

a capella on February 13, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Also note: the Pork is Diversion.

The real dangerous part of this bill is all the Middle Class Welfare in this bill, once passed is nearly politically impossible to reverse and all Future GOP leaders will have to deal with it. Europe here we come

jp on February 13, 2009 at 5:20 PM

jp on February 13, 2009 at 5:20 PM

EXACTLY.

Except, I would strike the word “nearly”.

artist on February 13, 2009 at 5:21 PM

*looks at the volcano*

Yep. Still there. Can I have $140 million please?

lorien1973 on February 13, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Hmmmm so the volcano that is about to explode up here is going to get some new equipment that will melt or blow up with the volcano… YAY! 140 million is a tad much for a freaking Satilite Cam (300 bucks) and earthquake monitoring (to build… 250 bucks). WOOOOOOOOO!

upinak on February 13, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Pell grants for higher education $15,840,000,000

16 billion for ‘higher’ education. 16 billion divided by 350 million Americans = $46 per American…(I know not all Americans are enrolled at higher education institutions)

This will drive tuition thru the roof, cause more bloating in administrations, and do absolutely nothing to aid the payment of education costs unless you fit certain, uh, demographics.

Thanks Obama, you amoral ignoramous.

daesleeper on February 13, 2009 at 5:23 PM

We are watching the death of a nation and it ain’t pretty.

highhopes on February 13, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Whether or not this is the straw that breaks the camel’s back, odds are it’s going to take a lot longer than a few weeks, months, or years to kill off the whole country.

Sooner or later, some group somewhere, or set of groups, are going to figure out just how badly they’re going to be screwed by the stealthy re-negotiation of all of our debts and obligations. This is like a quiet bankruptcy proceeding, as assets are devalued beneath our feet and inflation is pushed off into the future.

But even if the result is that the house of cards of international finance collapses, there will still likely be a United States of America, still a constitutional government under whatever emergency measures or degrees of social and cultural fragmentation or suppression for many years to come. And lots else can happen in the meantime while we wait around for a talented president or two to make the hard choices to little thanks.

CK MacLeod on February 13, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Can we throw the Harvest Mice into a Volcano? It will take care of two important issues at once.

kingsjester on February 13, 2009 at 5:23 PM

This is the liberal philosophy in action. If it wasn’t so insane, it might be amusing. I think that my son, who has Downs Syndrome, is at least 20 IQ points ahead of Nancy Pelosi. She’s on her way to Italy when she should be on her way to jail.

The three turncoats in the Senate can still stop this grand theft from our grandchildren and the pi_ _ ing on our constitution. This is what happens when morons vote!

orlandocajun on February 13, 2009 at 5:25 PM

lorien1973 on February 13, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I don’t even need to expend that much effort.

$6 million for snow-making machines in Duluth, MN and I will provide them.

Every year around November the cloud-shaped machines will turn on and they will cease working in late march, just in time for spring.

I’m going to be rich.

Bishop on February 13, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Doesn’t Biden get to cast the decisive vote?

factoid on February 13, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Perhaps I should obtain an employment application with ACORN. Soon, they will be the only ones left hiring. As for principles, well it’s no worse than our 3 Blind Mice Republican sellouts in the Senate… and I could do more damage internally than externally.

Damiano on February 13, 2009 at 5:27 PM

I sure am glad that some “conservatives” tried to allay reasonable fears about the anti-American, and incredibly retarded, nature of Precedent Hussein. He sure has “more than enough brains for the job”. Thanks a lot.

Beck just had a report that sovereignty resolutions by states went from 8 to 20 states in a week.

progressoverpeace on February 13, 2009 at 5:27 PM

this is SCARIER than any Friday the 13th Movie……

SDarchitect on February 13, 2009 at 5:27 PM

if, in a surprise show of backbone, one of the centrists defects

Call them what they are: Traitors to this nation.

highhopes on February 13, 2009 at 5:28 PM

I wonder if the likes of Spectre will defect back to his own party after all the crap he copped for crossing to the dark side in the first place and basically being played for chump by the Democrats. Its probably to much to hope for for but it would be interesting if any of them end up changing their vote.

Dreadnought223 on February 13, 2009 at 5:28 PM

highhopes on February 13, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Exactly.

progressoverpeace on February 13, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Via Halperin, here’s Pelosi on Obama:

This is one remarkable president. He did something faster than any other president ever has in our history.

Puke.

amerpundit on February 13, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Is anybody listening to C-Span? Did durbin just say 4 billion jobs?

WashJeff on February 13, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Call them what they are: Traitors to this nation.

highhopes on February 13, 2009 at 5:28 PM

He means that Spector/Snowe/Collins defects from the “yes” to “no” camp, not the other way around.

Tacitus_SGL on February 13, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Doesn’t Biden get to cast the decisive vote?

factoid on February 13, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Only if it is a tie. Thanks to traitors like Snowe, Collins, and Specter it isn’t even close to be an even 50/50 vote.

highhopes on February 13, 2009 at 5:30 PM

How appropriate today is Friday 13th.

Obama wanted to sign this on President’s Day .. must be that Lincoln thang.. because that rumbling you will hear is George Washington turning over in his grave.

Texas Gal on February 13, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Now imagine you were a black hole on the far edge of the universe, trying to escape the stimulus at 30 times the speed of light. The stimulus would still catch up to you and ram your black hole with such furious, repeated force that it would cause your entire reality itself to collapse.

jaime on February 13, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Tacitus_SGL on February 13, 2009 at 5:29 PM

I was talking about calling these filthy traitors “centrists.”

highhopes on February 13, 2009 at 5:30 PM

CK MacLeod on February 13, 2009 at 5:23 PM

I copied this over from the House thread. I’ve always given this kind of talk pretty short shrift, till today. I’ve known this guy for 25 years and he is pretty astute.

Just got off the phone with my banker. Had sone personal stuff and then asked him what the bank’s position was on what is going down. His take is the same as ours and refreshingly honest about how the TARP and stimulus packages have been handled.. We discussed the odds of correcting anything politically, with ACORN and census diddling in the future. I was amazed when he said there has been some discussion of a territorial separation of states, based on both geography and financial solvency, and civil war. This guy is a common sense, no risk, stereotypical midwestern banker, not prone to hyperbole and certainly not violence prone. He seemed to feel things are going to get much, much worse on the financial side and a large number of people will eventually react violently, with an attempt to split the country in half. Not what I wanted to hear, but guess I asked for it.

a capella on February 13, 2009 at 5:12 PM

a capella on February 13, 2009 at 5:31 PM

They are voting now

upinak on February 13, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Cloture vote has begun.

WashJeff on February 13, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Why didn’t the GOP at least make them read that bill? Sure it wouldn’t have changed anything but at least it would be out there on record and no one would be able to claim “ignorance”.

Goodbye, grand ole country!

ladyingray on February 13, 2009 at 5:31 PM

voting now…

canditaylor68 on February 13, 2009 at 5:31 PM

One remarkable president alright…he’s f’d us all in the a.

PappaMac on February 13, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Is anybody listening to C-Span? Did durbin just say 4 billion jobs?

WashJeff on February 13, 2009 at 5:29 PM

I think he said million but I was freezing up.

upinak on February 13, 2009 at 5:32 PM

What, no Free Purple Unicorns for everyone?

jp on February 13, 2009 at 5:32 PM

One remarkable president alright…he’s f’d us all in the a.

PappaMac on February 13, 2009 at 5:31 PM

and wasn’t even nice enough to include a KY Jelly subsidy to ease the pain

jp on February 13, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Why did none of the GOP Senators demand that the clerk read the bill out loud? Surely Sessions, Demint, or Coburn could have invoked that privilege.

Mayhem on February 13, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Is anybody listening to C-Span? Did durbin just say 4 billion jobs?

WashJeff on February 13, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Durbin is a lying crapweasel. Absolutely shameless.

califcon on February 13, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I swear if this passes, every thinking person in America will hoard every penny they can; Those who have money and are responsible with it, know that the economy will be worse off than before. Pretty big mistake for Barry to be so short sighted, in my opinion.

anniekc on February 13, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I suspect the 3 RINO’s will vote yea, or it would have been leaked/reported.

Open wide….

artist on February 13, 2009 at 5:34 PM

When the filthy liar promised change, he never promised good change.
highhopes on February 13, 2009 at 5:14 PM

I gotta tell ya, when I first saw a post of yours using that terminology (my bold in your quote) I was a little put off by it. I thought it was maybe just a little over the top. As time goes on I’m becoming a lot more convinced that you’ve got it right.

Oldnuke on February 13, 2009 at 5:35 PM

How do you tell how they are voting? Or is this just a roll call (i.e., where everyone gets to imitate the President and vote present)?

WashJeff on February 13, 2009 at 5:35 PM

I’ve been home from work all this week with the flu. I’ve been calling, faxing, and e-mailing in between bouts of coughing my lungs up… (not saying this to brag, just trying to get a cheap laugh from you guys…)

My fax machine is now telling me that Sen Snowe’s fax line is busy. Good work, folks! All we can do is keep it up and see what happens.

Mary in LA on February 13, 2009 at 5:35 PM

With the balance in the Senate the way it is, don’t be surprised if they start propping up Teddy’s corpse a la Weekend at Bernie’s to get that crucial vote.

Its pretty despicable IMO. The poor guy is in death’s waiting room, let him spend some time with his family.

Also, if he can’t carry out the duties of his position, he needs to abdicate.

Brad on February 13, 2009 at 5:36 PM

I was talking about calling these filthy traitors “centrists.”

highhopes on February 13, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Ah, I thought you were referring to the defectors. Nevermind.

Tacitus_SGL on February 13, 2009 at 5:36 PM

One remarkable president alright…he’s f’d us all in the a.

PappaMac on February 13, 2009 at 5:31 PM

That’s what happens when you let the likes of Barney Frank have a major role in crafting a stimulus bill. Everybody ends up getting f’d in the a.

Dreadnought223 on February 13, 2009 at 5:36 PM

This is just a roll call.

califcon on February 13, 2009 at 5:38 PM

This very well could be the sadest day in American history since…..dare I say…… 9/11!

God help us all!

azcop on February 13, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Dreadnought223 on February 13, 2009 at 5:36 PM

So wrong lol

WisCon on February 13, 2009 at 5:39 PM

What, no Free Purple Unicorns for everyone?

jp on February 13, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Put it on your list and e-mail it to the new North Pole- 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

highhopes on February 13, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Stephen Moore just said that the wsj reported that the US credit rating might be dropped from AAA. This would only make sense, since we all know that this debt will never get serviced, without monetizing it.

There you go. Get ready, folks.

progressoverpeace on February 13, 2009 at 5:40 PM

God help us all!
azcop on February 13, 2009 at 5:38 PM

On 9/11 we were attacked by enemies who had sworn to attack us in any way they could. Right now we’re being attacked by people who took an oath to uphold our Constitution and protect our way of life. Which is worse?

Oldnuke on February 13, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Dreadnought223 on February 13, 2009 at 5:36 PM

So wrong lol

WisCon on February 13, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Yet, somehow, so right.

flyawaybird on February 13, 2009 at 5:41 PM

There you go. Get ready, folks.

progressoverpeace on February 13, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Yep. First time in more than 100 years.

Thank you liberal idiots.

IrishEi on February 13, 2009 at 5:41 PM

this is SCARIER than any Friday the 13th Movie……

SDarchitect on February 13, 2009 at 5:27 PM

And just as in the movie, the protagonist refuses to die.

turfmann on February 13, 2009 at 5:42 PM

I didn’t hear Specter.

Weight of Glory on February 13, 2009 at 5:42 PM

I had to turn away from CSPAN..I started crying…this is a day that will change the face of our great Nation!

labwrs on February 13, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Snowe voted Yes.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 13, 2009 at 5:43 PM

No Specter! No collins!

IrishEi on February 13, 2009 at 5:43 PM

I think specter and collins are voting late……

IrishEi on February 13, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Specter is wearing out Monica’s knee pads.

PappaMac on February 13, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Gregg voted No. Good man.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 13, 2009 at 5:44 PM

So Collins, Snowe and Specter have not registered a vote yet?

WashJeff on February 13, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I think specter and collins are voting late……

IrishEi on February 13, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Damn I got excited for a moment.

darii on February 13, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Oldnuke on February 13, 2009 at 5:41 PM

I truly believe that Democrats have sworn an oath to destroy the America that we know and love……So, my vote is they are worse then the terrorist.

azcop on February 13, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Watching C-Span:

All that standing around, backslapping, grinning, hand-shaking.

One big happy, deliberative, clusterfark.

aquaviva on February 13, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Neither wants to be the 60th vote I’m guessing.

BardMan on February 13, 2009 at 5:45 PM

there are late voters coming on now. I thought they didn’t want the RINOS voting late? Didn’t want them to be the ones to put it over the top.

What’s going on?

IrishEi on February 13, 2009 at 5:45 PM

So Collins, Snowe and Specter have not registered a vote yet?

WashJeff on February 13, 2009 at 5:44 PM

No, I think she voted….

darii on February 13, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Collins votes yes.

Weight of Glory on February 13, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Snowe was yes.

Collins and Specter are waiting…

BardMan on February 13, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Any Republican that votes for this bill should get zero financial or political support from the RNC.

Do you hear me Michael Steele?

PappaMac on February 13, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Collins is “aye”.

aquaviva on February 13, 2009 at 5:46 PM

The door to my gun safe just opened on its own.

Would that be a sign?

Bishop on February 13, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Stimulus my ass.
This is a coup.

carbon_footprint on February 13, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Collins voted Yes.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 13, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Leaky Voinivich a no?

labwrs on February 13, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Collins = Aye

IrishEi on February 13, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Collins just voted “aye.” Voinovich cast a “nay.”

califcon on February 13, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Never mind, there goes Collins.

BardMan on February 13, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Collins just voted Aye

WashJeff on February 13, 2009 at 5:46 PM

That just leaves Specter

Weight of Glory on February 13, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Neither wants to be the 60th vote I’m guessing.

BardMan on February 13, 2009 at 5:45 PM

If you don’t have the balls to be the 60th vote, then don’t run for office.

Unbelievable.

flyawaybird on February 13, 2009 at 5:46 PM

And a big hearty EFF YOU to the ‘rat party. Rot in hell.

Bishop on February 13, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Specter will vote aye.

artist on February 13, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Specter and Snowe on screen exchanging Twitter usernames

Notorious GOP on February 13, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Here comes the clown show

phreshone on February 13, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Collins and Snowe are ayes. It’s over. With an open vote, they can get the 60 they need with Brown and Kennedy (if Arlen changes sides. which he won’t)

Trent1289 on February 13, 2009 at 5:47 PM

So when will Specter and Collins be voting?

darii on February 13, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Andrew “The Conservative Soul” Sullivan says:

A Republican party that added more than $30 trillion to the future debt in a time of boom has no credible answer but raw partisanship for opposing $800 billion in the swiftest downturn in employment since the Great Depression. That’s the bottom line. The party that campaigned for eight years on the principle that “deficits don’t matter” has no good faith standing to oppose a measure that provides the minimum to ensure some kind of bottom in the looming depression.

Respect Andrew Sullivan’s Authority!

Mr. Joe on February 13, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Sherrod Brown will be 60. I’m sure the traitors believe this gives them cover.

ladyingray on February 13, 2009 at 5:48 PM

a capella on February 13, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Here’s an interesting question. Lay out what’s expected of you in each country, then take a straw poll of adults to see which “half” they’d rather live in. I’m guessing it splits about one-third/two-third. For half, it will be a clear choice to go right. For that additional 17%, they’ll think about it, then realize that they’ll be left with the remaining third.

BuckeyeSam on February 13, 2009 at 5:48 PM