Porkulus revealed: conference notes

posted at 12:10 pm on February 12, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Michelle has the link to the notes from the Porkulus conference, and well … it’s about as bad as you’d imagine.  I’m picking through the tables derived from the 1500-page bill that no one in Congress will read before casting their votes for the largest project bill in American history.  To no one’s great surprise, the spending items expose Porkulus for exactly what it is — an omnibus spending bill that could have easily gone through the normal budgeting process.

Here are some of the lowlights I’ve found in the package:

• $550 million for a federal fleet of plug-in hybrid electric vehicles
  • $300 million for even more plug-in or “efficient” vehicles
  • $300 million for “smart appliances”
  • $13.9 billion for the Clean Energy Finance Authority (a lending mechanism for green energy projects)
  • $8 billion for “high-speed rail grants” to states, which apparently includes Reid’s Vegas project
  • $21.44 billion for “environmental” issues, none of which appears to have job creation in mind, including:
  • Lead Paint Abatement ($100 million)
  • EPA State revolving funds ($6 billion)
  • USDA water loans and grants ($1.38 billion)
  • DOE environmental management ($6 billion)
  • $15 billion to “increase and protect affordable housing
  • $7.2 billion for expanding broadband coverage
  • $15 billion for new Pell Grant funding
  • $44 billion for education block grants
  • $4.6 billion for “early childhood” programs
  • $1.1 billion for “comparative effectiveness research”

Hot Air readers will note that the last item refers to the health-care mandates for approval on treatment by all American physicians.  Arlen Specter and Jon Tester insisted that these provisions would be removed from Porkulus before voting for final passage.  The money is still there to build the database necessary to impose federal control on all medical treatment in the US, using Tom Daschle’s top-down mechanism, complete with “penalties” for doctors who insist on providing life-saving treatments without Uncle Sam’s say-so.

I notice that $7 billion in DoD construction got cut.  The conference managed to keep twice as much money to interfere in the housing market, which is what caused the economic meltdown in the first place, but took a pass on using money that would create jobs instead of more debt.

Not all of these programs are unworthy, but none of the above qualifies as either short-term stimulus or emergency issues.  Porkulus is nothing more than an omnibus bill encompassing the wish lists of Democratic-linked special interests, much of which would fail to get through under regular order debate in either chamber of Congress.  That’s why the Democrats, including Barack Obama, have gone on a scare-the-taxpayer public relations tour, attempting to divert attention from the details of this behemoth.

Comments

CRAP SANDWICH

Kini on February 12, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Our grandparents had the sense to build their outhouses and cesspools downhill from the house and the well.

Too bad that bit of common sense didn’t get passed along to the folks who voted these idiots into office.

AubieJon on February 12, 2009 at 12:17 PM

We’ll just have to repeal it. No biggie.

Akzed on February 12, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Pathetic.

D2Boston on February 12, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Yum, a nice warm can of well shaken Pork Soda!

dmann on February 12, 2009 at 12:18 PM

PORKULUS finally revealed. And this is “Hope & Change”? We have become a Nation of paybacks, special interests, and corruption. I’m 51 this month, and my family simply cannot believe what our government is forcing upon us. The founding fathers have no more room to roll over. The President of Doom & Gloom is upon us now.

Kevin in Washington State on February 12, 2009 at 12:20 PM

I’ve been predicting 20 years left for the US.

I can’t help being an optimist.

notagool on February 12, 2009 at 12:21 PM

USDA water loans and grants ($1.38 billion)

I imagine this will include ‘education’ efforts about water to local communities & school kids. They will probably get free magnets, color books, etc when they attend these workshops.

$4.6 billion for “early childhood” programs

Free day care!

$7.2 billion for expanding broadband coverage

In places where it isn’t profitable! Like where I live in the stix!

$300 million for “smart appliances”

Things consumers do not naturally buy but will be ‘forced’ to buy.

$15 billion for new Pell Grant funding

To take classes like ‘Islam, the Religion of Peace”

EPA State revolving funds ($6 billion)

I’m sure this helps funds folks like the angry a$$hole from Game & Fish who came out with maps, a scary looking notepad & a 4-wheeler to snoop around in our local pastures & farm fields here, demanding to know how many cows people have etc. He threatened he would be back to see how we use our water. I imagine he’s waiting for this funding.

This is the stupidest thing I have almost ever witnessed.
Congress is running away with this now bcs they have the majority now.
They WILL regret this, but when?

Badger40 on February 12, 2009 at 12:21 PM

As I asked in the Obama-Lincoln thread (humbly reposted here for your consideration):

Q: Who’s paying for the porkulus that will be needed to cover the effects of the current porkulus?

A: It’s turtles all the way down.

Abby Adams on February 12, 2009 at 12:22 PM

And naturally no one in the drive-bys ever asks Obama or Pelosi about any of this in their sitdown interviews. Instead we get probing questions like “Are you being too nice?” or “So when will you vote on it?”.

When this debacle blows up in this administration’s face and cripples this economy, the press will suddenly start acting like watchdogs again and wonder aloud how this could’ve ever happened. We cannot let them get away with this when that day comes to pass.

Doughboy on February 12, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Frauds and Liars.

marklmail on February 12, 2009 at 12:22 PM

What’s the deal with the broadband funding? Is the government going to use tax dollars to compete with private companies who already provide these services?

Sometimes I think it would be better to put the money in a pile and just burn it. It would at least just be wasted at that point and wouldn’t do further damage like serving to inject the government into the private marketplace for internet service.

Same goes for the light rail boondoggles. It’s government subsidized competition for existing bus companies and other private transportation services. It will do more harm than burning the money.

forest on February 12, 2009 at 12:22 PM

If the American people sit down and accept this, they deserve what they get.

If you don’t mind if Big Brother decides whether or not you are worth the medical treatment you want, then fine, enjoy the country you helped create.

tyrfing on February 12, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Please, please CALL THE RNC and say the following:

I will NOT give one penny to the RNC ever again UNTIL Snowe, Colins and Specter are REMOVED from the Republican caucus… PERIOD! Remove them NOW or you will never get a dime from me and just so you know, I am contacting ALL my Republican friends to do the same… We will KILL the RNC finacialy if Steele does not REMOVE THESE TRAITOR NOW!

We can make a difference, but we must call and force OUR will upon the money men of the RNC. Without OUR moeny they have NO power, so we cut them off till they LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE!

Mark Garnett on February 12, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Lead Paint Abatement ($100 million). Will this abatement include the lead on the brains of these politicians
who voted for the crap sandwich. I for one think they ate an awful lot of (Lead)paint chips when they were kids.

USMCDevilDog on February 12, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Another Christmas list (which is about to come true) for the manic “Federalists.” The dollar amounts shown here will be double in the end and will also include policy changes (i.e. Red Tape) and unfunded mandates to the states. It also includes a pathetic tax cut for most people. In the end this will only translate to more consumption and sin taxes as well as an eventual massive hike to Federal taxes, state taxes, and FICA.

Mr Gus on February 12, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Just crap works….But I like the crap sandwich.

tx2654 on February 12, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Stephen Kings UNABRIDGED version of THE STAND was less than 1400 pages.

What makes us believe the Senators won’t read this?

originalpechanga on February 12, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Congratulations on realizing what modern day governing is. It is taking from those who don’t support you, and giving it to those that do.

lorien1973 on February 12, 2009 at 12:31 PM

$15 billion to “increase and protect affordable housing

Rent control. “Tenants’ rights” legislation.

Housing shortages. Projects. Ghettos.

Welcome back to the 1970s, folks.

spmat on February 12, 2009 at 12:32 PM

The U.S.A. deserves to go down in flames.

The inmates are running the asylum.

Going to Walmart to buy more ammo.

omnipotent on February 12, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Ugh… I feel sick. And as a vegetarian, I am especially disgusted to have this pork shoved down my throat!

woohoo on February 12, 2009 at 12:33 PM

My personal favorite is $650 million for digital tv transfer coupons, basically providing set-top boxes for those who still have analog tv’s.

Bishop on February 12, 2009 at 12:35 PM

forest on February 12, 2009 at 12:22 PM

I imagine it’s going for rural services. Here in SW ND there’s a big broadband project that’s been going on for a few years now to provide ND with modern Internet services.
They’ve already gone through a lot of the small towns, now the next phase is to the country.
I live 15 miles from town & last summer engineers were out surveying & asking for an easement from us for the lines.
They start construction this summer.
So I truly bet that your federal $$ are helping pay for this, if not in whole, at least in a major way.
But if I want Internet, I can get satellite. I have dial up, but it’s unreliable.
And it’s not only for internet that they’re doing this for us-our phone lines are REALLY old & don’t really work anymore. But we have cell phones.
So I am POd about this $$ being spent on this stuff bcs yeah, it will be nice for us, but I have options & I did choose to live out here!

Badger40 on February 12, 2009 at 12:35 PM

$15 billion to “increase and protect affordable housing“

Does this mean, more low income housing with mortgages paid by the govmint?

Kini on February 12, 2009 at 12:36 PM

The HIT provisions are in fact the foundation of nationalized healthcare. Make no mistake, this has nothing to do with efficiencies in the medical industry. This is the first net to be cast to identify and establish the links to all providers.

Just do a page count. How many pages are dedicated to describe a “simple” IT data-sharing arrangement vs. literally one-line entrys for spending billions of dollars.

BobMbx on February 12, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Crap on a cracker

darwin-t on February 12, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Um, shouldn’t there be a limit on the number of items in spending bills? No one can read and digest such vast materials on an artificial timeline.

marklmail on February 12, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Just wait until the bill comes do.

On another note, a fucking retarded progressive wrote in the local paper today that this bill “was carefully crafted”.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

GarandFan on February 12, 2009 at 12:41 PM

It honestly baffles me why politicians cannot play it straight for once. Assuming (for the sake of argument) they are correct and there is a financial crisis that needs an immediate governmental intervention….why oh why do they have to lard it up with this stupid stuff? Why can’t they just act in the best interests of the American people they have been elected to serve? I believe these people are truly not interested in helping this country only in helping themselves and their cronies. This depresses me. Is there not an honest man or woman left in Washington? Sorry for venting, but this story is the straw that broke the camel’s back and I am going to be mad all day.

HawaiiLwyr on February 12, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Badger40 on February 12, 2009 at 12:35 PM

That’s pretty much what I was afraid of. I work in the cell site development business, which increasingly includes 3G/4G internet services, and it looks like the State is using my tax money to subsidize competition against the companies I work for. Argh!

forest on February 12, 2009 at 12:42 PM

No one can read and digest such vast materials on an artificial timeline.

marklmail on February 12, 2009 at 12:40 PM

That’s the point. In other words, its not a bug, its a feature…

Vashta.Nerada on February 12, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Damn.

I’m going to apologize to my 12 year old daughter tonight. I’m ashamed of what we have done.

BacaDog on February 12, 2009 at 12:42 PM

The Heritage Foundation has a blog entry about the true cost of this if 20 programs are left in place and funded.

3.27 trillion

That’s just for 10 years. It’s from the CBO.

Mr Gus on February 12, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Mark Garnett

Dude, I know you’re angry, but do you ALWAYS have to YELL in EVERY g*damn POST??

Grow Fins on February 12, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Does this mean, more low income housing with mortgages paid by the govmint?

Kini on February 12, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Slush fund for Democratic low-income housing developers like Tony Rezko.

They’ve been crying ever since Reagan killed the old Section 8 construction program. And many of the original Section 8 projects have reached the end of their subsidy period when the developers can take them private and raise rents. This a pet subject of Barney Frank. A lot of those old developers are based in Boston. I used to work for their trade association. I’m sure they are breaking out the champagne today. The gravy train has been taken out of mothballs and put back on the track!

rockmom on February 12, 2009 at 12:43 PM

So where should I be moving my money right now (besides gold) to combat the upcoming inflation bonanza and inevitable interest rate hikes? Come on, I know there’re some smart finance people on here.

Youngs98 on February 12, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Lead based paint banned in 1978. $100 million for someone to use!!! Light rail is something that has been studied for 40 years and is not cheap. Last I read, in the inner city costs $6-8 million per mile if one can obtain right away and the EPA doesn’t ban it or the greenies block building. Too much in this bill and no one has been able to read and comment on the bill much less debate it as most bills are done. A total waste of time, taxpayers funds and the paper the bill is written on.

bout68 on February 12, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Does this mean, more low income housing with mortgages paid by the govmint?

Kini on February 12, 2009 at 12:36 PM

I bet this will include govt loans to people like me who live out in the stix to repair our old & crappy homes. Which yeah I’m gonna admit-I do need some help. But this ain’t it!
I’d rather get rid of the over regulation & govt intrusions that make it hard for me to make a living in the 1st place!

forest on February 12, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Yup. Like co-ops getting special $$ & treatment. I believe co-ops had a purpose at one time. Now I’m not so sure.

Badger40 on February 12, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Youngs98 on February 12, 2009 at 12:47 PM

I vote for ocean-front property in NE.
Don’t you know sea level is rising?!

Badger40 on February 12, 2009 at 12:52 PM

HawaiiLwyr on February 12, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Sistah, this is what democrats have been waiting for 40 years to do. Never mind that real tax cuts have been proven to work, the Hussein doesn’t want that tired old failed policies.
No, the Hussein favors economic distructive policies.

Kini on February 12, 2009 at 12:52 PM

I just want to know if there is something in the package I can take advantage of. I want a handout!

bopbottle on February 12, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Yes, the so called affordable housing is part of a larger “urban redevelopment” scam of sorts. Developers get public money for building high rises or condos but are told to put aside a certain number of “affordable units.” The city picks up most of the infrastructure costs and the planning and building department applications are streamlined for the developer.

Affordable of course is relative in terms of new housing within most liberal metropolitan city limits. However, they still count as being affordable so it’s typical to see a “luxury” development include “affordable” units. The balance of the development is targeted to “upwardly mobile” city dwellers who happen to be overwhelmingly Democratic party members.

Mr Gus on February 12, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Make every single spending bill a single issue, effectively giving the Executive a line item veto power. This way every line of spending gets reviewed “for real” as opposed to the current iteration of “does this good to everyone? Okay vote yea or nay!”

juanito on February 12, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Shovel Ready Jobs, my okole. They just buried us up to our necks in debt.

Kini on February 12, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Trust me on this – the $15 billion is for subsidized NEW CONSTRUCTION of low-income rental housing by private developers and purchase/refinancing of existing projects whose initial subsidy contracts are ending. These developers are all Democrats and this is another payback for their campaign contributions. The odd thing is that this is one thing the Dems probably could get through Congress under regular order. It won’t be a stimulus because it takes years to get these projects through site acquisition and local planning and zoning.

There’s another $50 billion coming for new loans to all the morons who got subprime loans they couldn’t afford.

rockmom on February 12, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Unless it is for Royalty like Ted Kennedy, of course, then to get just another few months of life the sky and the national treasure would not even be limits.

MB4 on February 12, 2009 at 12:56 PM

$15 billion to “increase and protect affordable housing”

I always wondered what a negative “multiplier effect” would look like. Now I know.

calbear on February 12, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Youngs98 on February 12, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Yen

Vashta.Nerada on February 12, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Youngs98 on February 12, 2009 at 12:47 PM

I recommend the First Bank of Mattress, preferrably my mattress. Cash only, small denoms.

BobMbx on February 12, 2009 at 1:02 PM

I did a quick perusal.

Most depressing item so far:

$6.23 BILLION for “SSI, Replenish TANF Contingency fund, and Child Support Enforcement”.

For anyone who doesn’t remember SSI, we called them “crazy checks” in the early 90’s. Kid acts up at school, school lables him “disabled”, Mom applies for SSI. Some Mom’s had multiple kids on the program….each collecting about $600 a month.

Now they can get more. I guess we’re supposed to believe the “depression” caused those kids’ expenses to go up?

jeanneb on February 12, 2009 at 1:02 PM

The audacity of hope was for his campaign
Fear and terrorizing will be for his reign
His candidacy was as a Henry Houdini
His presidency is shaping up to be more like that of a Benito Mussolini

MB4 on February 12, 2009 at 1:03 PM

The gravy train has been taken out of mothballs and put back on the track!

rockmom on February 12, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Funny you should make this comment. Here in Chicago, I have noticed over the past two weeks there has been a push via junk mail and tv ads from developers who bought land 10 years ago in Cabrini Green (a plot smack in the middle of the city which was dedicated to low-income/govt. subsidized housing). They have been razing the buildings and relocating the residents for the past several years but no development. And just recently there have been phone numbers you can call to see if you qualify for “homes with government credit”. I called because I live in the area and they are offering 2bdr/2bth condos that would normally go for $450-500K for $250K if you can prove that your dual income is less than $75K. A very dreary situation for those of us who live in the surrounding areas and would like to see our property values rise.

sherry on February 12, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Lets march on DC.

Lets do this people or we shut up!

Mercy4Me on February 12, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Shovel Ready Jobs, my okole. They just buried us up to our necks in debt.

Kini on February 12, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Yep, “shovel ready” my butt. There aren’t many “shovel ready” projects laying around. There is too much preliminary work that goes into any construction project like land acquisition, environmental studies and approvals, historic studies and approvals, local zoning and land development approvals, tribal studies and approvals needed. And much of this stuff has expiration dates, so even if it’s done, it would likely need to be re-done if the project got shelved in the past.

The fact that nobody in the press ever pushed for details about these alleged “shovel ready” projects tells me that they don’t know anything about land development and construction, and/or they were incurious because they are in the tank for Obama and his Hogzilla Bill.

forest on February 12, 2009 at 1:04 PM

We’ll just have to repeal it. No biggie.

Akzed on February 12, 2009 at 12:17 PM

I agree we need to repeal, my concern is the “no biggie” part…the sheeple aren’t paying enough attention.

JustTruth101 on February 12, 2009 at 1:04 PM

I’ve often pondered in the past few weeks how this could come to pass. Providence brought this great nation together w/a group of leaders that had never been seen before and will likely never be seen again. They were:
1. George Washington
2. Thomas Jefferson
3. Benjamin Franklin
4. John Adams
5. James Madison
6. Samuel Adams
7. John Hancock
8. Aaron Burr
9. Alexander Hamilton
10. Patrick Henry
11. (Not a complete list by any stretch!)
These great men wrote the Articles of Confederation, the Declaration of Independence and The US Constitution that enshrined the inalienable rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness into not just our laws but our souls. FREEDOM!
Now we have an unprecedented list of woefully inadequate “leaders” (Gag). They are:
1. Barack Obama, President
2. Biden, Vice-President
3. Clinton, SOS
4. Pelosi, Speaker
5. Reid, Majority Leader
5. Franks runs House Financial Services
6. Rangell runs House Ways and Means
7. Dodd runs Senate Banking
8. Waxman runs House Oversight
9. Conyers runs House Judiciary
and..
10. Panetta, CIA chief
And many other co-conspirators not listed, such as: George Soros.
These people wrote a piece of legislation that single-handedly bankrupts us, denies us the choice of healthcare options, places an undue tax burden on each of us and our children that is unsustainable in the short and long-term. They have effectively killed the rights of Life – for the unborn and the elderly; Liberty – when the state confiscates your income to redistribute it to others, there is no freedom; Pursuit of happiness –there is no happiness where there is not freedom, just the burden of crushing taxation for the rest of our lives and for the rest of our children’s lives.
I’m furious! To go from those great men, to these charlatans in such a short space of time makes me so mad, sick, and frustrated. This is the end of the USA.
We’re all gonna die…

JAM on February 12, 2009 at 1:07 PM

rockmom on February 12, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I figured low-income housing was getting a piece of this.
Now I am assuming this stuff, which is based on a percentage of your income, is owned by a private entity & receives the rest of the rent from the govt that the tenant does not pay bcs of their income?

Badger40 on February 12, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Ponzi scheme.

LibTired on February 12, 2009 at 1:13 PM

LOL!

End the Practice of Writing Legislation Behind Closed Doors:
As president, Barack Obama will restore the American people’s trust in their government by making government more open and transparent. Obama will work to reform congressional rules to require all legislative sessions, including committee mark-ups and conference committees, to be conducted in public. By making these practices public, the American people will be able to hold their leaders accountable for wasteful spending …

Sunlight Before Signing:
Too often bills are rushed through Congress and to the president before the public has the opportunity to review them. As president, Obama will not sign any non-emergency bill without giving the American public an opportunity to review and comment on the White House website for five days.

LOL!

rockmom on February 12, 2009 at 1:14 PM

…an omnibus spending bill that could have easily gone through the normal budgeting process.

Not could have, but should have. It’s an omnibus spending bill that should have gone through the normal budgeting process.

Instead, normal deliberations were ignored while partisan policies and spending initiatives were railroaded under the camouflage of an emergency economic stimulus.

But most of this bill neither emergency nor stimulative. The bill was intentionally misrepresented in order to secure passage of measures that would likely not survive the scrutiny of normal Congressional deliberations.

Fraud is generally defined in the law as “an intentional misrepresentation of material existing fact made by one person to another with knowledge of its falsity and for the purpose of inducing the other person to act, and upon which the other person relies with resulting injury or damage.”

Passage of the stimulus bill has been secured by fraud.

Maybe we could overlook it were it not for its historic scale and the level of damage done for generations to come.

petefrt on February 12, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Ed, I hate this path of reasoning for it accepts the premise that it is constitutional to fund these programs. While article does not state which programs may be worthy of funding, but I believe it a reasonable guess that the items are not covered by the constitution.

If we debate whether a program is worthy or not, we who believe in limited government have already lost. Defend the constitution first. If the program is worthy, ask why it cannot be done at the state level.

WashJeff on February 12, 2009 at 1:19 PM

forest on February 12, 2009 at 12:22 PM

That’s just about what the CBO said too, isn’t it.

petefrt on February 12, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Hannity does treason:

getalife on February 12, 2009 at 1:21 PM

3.27 trillion

That’s just for 10 years. It’s from the CBO.

Mr Gus on February 12, 2009 at 12:43 PM

I saw that to.
Talk about pouring salt into a wound.

Divide 3.27 trillion by 3.5 million(maybe,what ever “jobs saved” turns out to be) jobs and tell me this was worth it.

What a complete and utter rip off of the American people by the democratic party.

Baxter Greene on February 12, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Ponzi scheme.

LibTired on February 12, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Well summarized.

Badger40 on February 12, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Hannity does treason:

getalife on February 12, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Hmm..which side was it that circulated those electoral maps of “America” vs. “Jesusland” after the 2004 election? When did half of Hollywood threaten to leave the country?

rockmom on February 12, 2009 at 1:32 PM

The bill aside, the truly pathetic thing is that Obama and other Dems will show no shame in presenting this enactment and, indeed, will cite it as one of their proudest achievements. Think about it. Spending other people’s money in this manner as their proudest achievement.

BuckeyeSam on February 12, 2009 at 1:33 PM

I am sure everyone knows that this bill was written purely by Dems, right? NO Republican had any input into what Porkulus contained.

Pelosi and Reid sent out the word to the Dem Reps and Senators asking for “shovel ready” projects (wink, wink) and got back all the projects those Reps and Senators had backlogged in their “IOU” files. Everything any Democratic donor/big-shot ever asked for from the Dem Congresscritters that they helped get elected was put into Porkulus as payback AND as an assurance of massive future campaign contributions to guarantee their continued ability to “Serve the People” in Congress.

Nothing like the perks of power, the private retirement funds, the special “Congress Only” medical plans, the health clubs, parking lots, airplanes and pure power that clings to you everytime you walk into a restaurant or club.

You can almost see them – smoking big old cigars, clapping each other on the back and rubbing their hands together as they cackle in glee. They’ve got power for life and they are loving it!

Its disgusting, its immoral and its what the people of this nation deserve for giving near absolute power to the Dems.

Fatal on February 12, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Ann Coulter was on Hannity yesterday and mentioned something about the NRA finding language in the bill that expanded some national park boundries including major sections of interstates, thereby restricting an individual’s right to carry a weapon in these areas.

Does anyone have any information regarding this?

ladyingray on February 12, 2009 at 1:49 PM

The billions for ‘early childhood programs’ would that be for Planned Parenthood abortion programs?

eaglewingz08 on February 12, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Screw that: name one of these programs that falls under the enumerated powers. Name one of these provisions that is constitutional. “Worthy”?! What is that? If we still believe ourselves to be a Constitutional Republic, we may wish to look at what the Constitution says and go from there.
Don’t you get it? This is NOT about the economy; it never was. This is about power. This is about changing our country from a Republic to a Democracy, then, in short order, to an oligarchy. I see that the swing of who controls the “cultural hegemony” has shifted already, based upon what I see here. No longer do folks care about our founding document as much as what we may feel “worthy” or economically sound. We need to check ourselves and see whether we want a Republic or an oligarchy. Those are our choices. Right now, we’re handing the Marxists our country on a silver platter.

Send_Me on February 12, 2009 at 2:06 PM

WashJeff on February 12, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Yes. What he said.
“A quiet revolution can be dispersed throughout a culture over a period of time to destroy it from within. Mass psychology and media can break the traditions, beliefs and morals and the will of a nation so there is no possibility of resistance.” ~ Antonio Gramsci
“By psychopolitics our chief goals are effectively carried forward. To produce a maximum of chaos in the culture of the enemy is our first most important step. Our fruits are grown in chaos, distrust, economic depression and scientific turmoil. … With it you can erase our enemies as insects… Use the courts, use the judges, use the Constitution of the country, use its medical societies and its laws to further our ends. … And bring to Earth, through Communism, the greatest peace Man has ever known.” ~ Lavrenti Beria, Lenin University, in a 1933 address to a group of American/Marxist Psychology Students

Send_Me on February 12, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Did they repeal the Second Law of Thermodynamics yet? Or do they want to fund perpetual motion machines?

Federal money for “green” energy is so unnecessary–the market will find a way if given a chance. I saw a presentation last night by a company that invented a new type of wind turbine, almost like a jet engine run backward using the wind, and they claim that it generates the same power with half the diameter of conventional wind turbines, and its cost could be competitive with coal-fired power plants. They’re in the prototype stage now, but they have $6M in private venture capital.

In general, if it works and it saves money, private industry will fund it!

$15 billion to “increase and protect affordable housing“

ACORN?

$7.2 billion for expanding broadband coverage

Couldn’t Yahoo or Comcast or AOL pay for this themselves?

$44 billion for education block grants

Chicago Annenberg Challenge times 275. Zero improvement in test scores from CAC, 275 times zero equals…
(for the mathematically challenged from Obama U, the answer is zero).

Steve Z on February 12, 2009 at 2:23 PM

This is a bit OT but I just found this via Instapundit in which King Obama said:

“The days where we’re just building sprawl forever, those days are over.”

Meaning that he’s apparently opposed to so called “building sprawl.” What we can look forward to now is the Federalization of state planning and zoning (as if it’s not bad enough already). I’m sure they will find a way to tie Federal funding to states with planning and zoning mandates. If you do not follow the guidelines you won’t get the Federal funding.

The same is coming up the pike with so called “green building” in which building and mechanical codes will be effected and guided by Greenshirt Federal mandates and tied in with Federal-state funding.

The red-tape thickens.

Mr Gus on February 12, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Mark Garnett

Grow Fins on February 12, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Wow, I had no idea you could “hear” me… Oh for the love of God, people, get a grip… We are TYPING, not talking. What a bunch of teenagers that worry about stupid blog etiqute… I find your offense at my yelling OFFENSIVE, so put that in your stupid, moronic politicaly correct version of TYPING!!!! What a fricking idiot if things like a “caps” is yelling… Call me sometime and I’ll show you what YELLING is… What a turd… I don’t live by those STUPID rules… Just ignore my posts and move on… I can ASSURE you I will do the same… LOOK AT ME I’M YELLING….

CAN YOU HEAR ME?!?

CAN YOU HEAR ME?!?

geez, what stupid bullshit…

Mark Garnett on February 12, 2009 at 2:48 PM

We’re all gonna die…

JAM on February 12, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Do not despair, JAM. Remember these words when no others can express your frustration:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.

How appropriate are these words even now. Is it traitorous to have thoughts of changing the US Government? I struggled with those thoughts for a long time, until I concluded that the words above, taken from the Declaration of Independence, were not applicable only to the monarchy of England. I believe they are applicable at any time, with the full understanding of the phrase “right of the people to alter or to abolish” means just that, it is our right to seek better government when the current one fails us.

Our founding fathers understood the difference between a right and “Hope and Change”.

BobMbx on February 12, 2009 at 2:50 PM

$1.1 billion for “comparative effectiveness research”

WTF is “comparative effectiveness research”?

New and improved sky hooks? Invisible buildings with Invisible employees who drive Invisible cars and live in Invisible towns with Invisible houses?

DSchoen on February 12, 2009 at 3:31 PM

DSchoen on February 12, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Absolutely. And because they are all invisible, there’s the extra bonus of a 0 carbon footprint. Its a $1.1 billion win-win.

genso on February 12, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Mark Garnett on February 12, 2009 at 2:48 PM

I think you need the Verizon dudes behind you.

WashJeff on February 12, 2009 at 3:44 PM

BobMbx on February 12, 2009 at 2:50 PM

I hear ya, man. Thanks. I love those words. I think Happy Hour is calling…(sigh)

JAM on February 12, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Two things that make jukin smile:

1. It is mostly on the young idiots that voted hopeymccokechange in to pay for.

2. The democrats own it 100% even with the rinos so 2010 look good.

jukin on February 12, 2009 at 4:18 PM