Stimulusmania: Support for bill soars to 59%

posted at 5:40 pm on February 11, 2009 by Allahpundit

Up seven points in seven days. I knew The One’s salesmanship would give it a bump, but I didn’t figure on this much:

Most of the newfound support comes from rank-and-file Democrats, suggesting President Barack Obama’s efforts to sell the plan over the past week — including in his first televised news conference on Monday — have shored up support within his own party. Last week, Gallup found 70% of Democrats in favor of Congress passing the economic stimulus package, but today that figure is 82%.

Over the same period, support for the stimulus package held steady among independents, with a slight majority in favor of it. The percentage of Republicans favoring the package rose slightly from 24% to 28%, but remains below the 34% support received in early January, before Congress began its formal consideration of the package.

Among people who think the economy’s in “poor” shape, support currently stands at 61 percent. The One’s approval rating, per McClatchy: A robust 69 percent. Exit question: Enough political cover for the wavering three to hop aboard? Just listen to this sales pitch. Who could resist?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Think of the average voter who watches CNN, listens abc, and reads the WaPoo….how in the h*ll can a “poll” based on these morons mean anything?

Answer: it can’t.

Just more freakin’ propaganda from the Goebbels, Obama-loving “media.”

Let’s roll. And BOYCOTT MAINE.

ex-Democrat on February 11, 2009 at 6:24 PM

stenwin:

Believe it. Nothing that is happening now has not happened before. Back in the Depression, the socialists did not even pretend they were anything but socialists. The populists of the late 19th and early 20th century were the most radical political movement in our history..and somehow we survived.

Terrye on February 11, 2009 at 6:24 PM

This is so frustrating. Obviously when The One wants something he is going to turn on campaign charm. The frustrating part to me is that two can play that game – but Republicans never play. We rarely have good messaging. House Republicans had it and controlled the debate for a couple of days – but not the Senate. Enter Campaign man who easily dumbs down the message so most people understand, and they follow his lead.

Rockygold on February 11, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Come on, Bush did exactly the same thing to sell the war in Iraq and the Patriot Act. At least the Democrats are not calling this the “Patriotic Save America Act” or some such bullshit.

rockmom on February 11, 2009 at 6:25 PM

rockmom on February 11, 2009 at 6:24 PM

What was wrong with action in Afghanistan?

blatantblue on February 11, 2009 at 6:26 PM

The Dems have succeeded in creating their permanent dependent class.

The CA legislature meanwhile- “This is War” – just approved a $14 billion tax increase.

It’s over.

PattyJ on February 11, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Bishop on February 11, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Save yer brass!

a capella on February 11, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Exactly.

There isn’t jack squat the Republicans can realistically do to stop this. But there will certainly be plenty of political advantages to be reaped from the damage this does.

Life is handing us lemons. Time to make some lemonade.

thirteen28 on February 11, 2009 at 6:20 PM

TThey can dissent and they should do it constantly and noisily. Civil disobedience and loud dissent have won many political battles and they can do it again. The problem is that 99% of our political “leaders” are softheaded wimps.

rplat on February 11, 2009 at 6:29 PM

It’s enough to puke a buzzard off a gut wagaon….

ladyingray on February 11, 2009 at 6:30 PM

RalphyBoy on February 11, 2009 at 6:22 PM

tks.

JiangxiDad on February 11, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Funny how this poll shows up just in time for Lugar and Voinovich to wet themselves and cave.
Too early to write America’s obit? Sure about that. I guess “Rome” is still there, huh?

-T

The Therapist on February 11, 2009 at 6:31 PM

rockmom:

Oh please. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were nothing in comparison to the cost of WW2 and somehow we managed to balance a budget again.

Personally I am not into bartering so I think that keeping the banks going is probably a good idea. And yes, there are people under 65 who do get some help from that drug plan which in the long run did not cost what people said it would. It is for people on Medicare, that means the government is already obligated to pay for their care. Plus they have to pay something for the program. Maybe you think that paying to have someone’s leg removed costs less than helping them pay for their insulin but it does not. Maybe you think that paying for long term care in a nursing home is cheaper than helping to pay for someone’s blood pressure medication but it is not.

Terrye on February 11, 2009 at 6:32 PM

As a matter of fact, if we are going to talk about who got the American used to deficits, there is always Reagan. He was not immune to spending money.

But what the hell, let’s just do what the Democrats do and blame Bush. If not for him the American people would not ever consider supporting a bill to rescue the economy from a recession. No sireee.

Terrye on February 11, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Bush gave us the $400 billion prescription drug program (which nobody under the age of 65 benefits from), the trillion-dollar war in Iraq/Afghanistan, and the $700 billion Wall Street bailout… If Bush had held the line on spending, we would not be here today.

rockmom on February 11, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Agreed on the prescriptions… the war was a long needed and delayed action against Islamo Terrorists… agree partially on the bailout, I think he was dragged to that wedding… And so so on the last point.
A lot happened before and during his administration that got us here, most of which was not his fault, though he could have done many things better… in hind sight.

RalphyBoy on February 11, 2009 at 6:38 PM

rockmom on February 11, 2009 at 6:24 PM

I disagree regarding the wars – that spending was justifiable and necessary.

If you want to argue that Bush didn’t hold the line on pork or excessive domestic spending, have at it – you’ll find plenty of us that agree with you wholeheartedly. But you weaken your argument when you throw Iraq and Afghanistan into the picture.

thirteen28 on February 11, 2009 at 6:39 PM

What I don’t get is, during the last mini recession, what did congress do??? LOWERED TAXES!!!

I know there are people here who have been banging that drum,

BUT WHY IN THE HELL HASN’T EVERY SINGLE REPUBLICAN LAWMAKER BEEN BEATING THE SHIT OUT OF THAT DRUM!

PappaMac on February 11, 2009 at 6:39 PM

John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, et. al. Where has our country gone?

PappaMac on February 11, 2009 at 6:13 PM

And here’s to you, Barack Obama
Marx loves you more than you will know
(Wo wo wo)
Lenin blesses you, yes he does, Barack Obama
Infamy holds a place for those who betray
(Hey hey hey – hey hey hey)

We’d like to know a little bit more about the changes you would make in our lives
We’d like to know all about what more you will do to further destroy our country and our American lives
Look around you, all you see are crying conservative eyes
Are you going to put whatever Soros wants into our laws to controle us even when we are at home

And here’s to you, Barack Obama
Marx loves you more than you will know
(Wo wo wo)
Lenin blesses you, yes he does, Barack Obama
Infamy holds a place for those who betray
(Hey hey hey – hey hey hey)

Hide your real plans in a place where no one ever goes
Put them up your sleeve where you’ve got all the rest
It’s a little secret, just the Obama’s affair
Most of all you’ve got to hide them from the fools

And here’s to you, Barack Obama
Marx loves you more than you will know
(Wo wo wo)
Lenin blesses you, yes he does, Barack Obama
Infamy holds a place for those who betray
(Hey hey hey – hey hey hey)

Sitting at your TV that dark November Tuesday night
Watching the National returns come in
Laugh about it, cry about it
When you got the news
Ev’ry which way you look at it you lose

Where have you gone, Ronald Reagan?
Conservatives turn their longing eyes to you
(Woo woo woo)
What’s that you say, Barack Obama
Ronald Reagan you have driven far away
(Hey hey hey – hey hey hey)

MB4 on February 11, 2009 at 6:39 PM

I disagree regarding the wars – that spending was justifiable and necessary.

thirteen28 on February 11, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Took the words right out me mouth!

blatantblue on February 11, 2009 at 6:39 PM

I can’t bring myself to watch that guy…

CCRWM on February 11, 2009 at 6:41 PM

rplat on February 11, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Of course they should dissent, but dissenting is easy. But in the meantime, they should be positioning themselves to take advantage of the political fallout.

thirteen28 on February 11, 2009 at 6:41 PM

MB4 on February 11, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Spot On!

PappaMac on February 11, 2009 at 6:42 PM

I work for a health care agency. I have a client who is 33 years old. He broke his neck in an accident ten years ago and is a quad now. I doubt if many people would want to trade places with him. He is on the drug prescription plan. His meds costs over $600 a month. I have other clients who are older, most of them spend hundreds of dollars a month on different health care plans, including Medicare. It is not a gift. The drug program is popular and it is not a give away. If you do not have a program like that it will only make it that much easier for Democrats to get universal care for people.

Terrye on February 11, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Look..In some ways, the only way for this country to wake up is for it to fall and fall hard. I don’t want that, but we are a country that at times can fall asleep.
(See WW2, See apathy pre 9-11..and now this)

The only way things will improve is for a country to learn from its mistakes…and this is going to be a very VERY costly one.

I just don’t see how we wake up unless its after we suffer through what we see as the obvious.

Its sad. Cuz it doesn’t need to be. But it is what it is.

Look out below.

Handel on February 11, 2009 at 6:48 PM

They vote, for more “gimme”, until the ‘pantry’ is depleted.

Soon enough there won’t be enough producers. By then it will be too late.

Entelechy on February 11, 2009 at 6:14 PM

I’ll soon take all my troubles over to Obama Rue
You know The One with the never ending Hope and Change shtick
He’s got a pad down on Pennsylvania avenue
He’ll be passin’ out little bottles of Obama Potion Number Nine

I’ll tell him that I’m having trouble with my mortgage payments
It’s gotten even worse in these last few weeks
He’ll kiss me on the cheek and he’ll made a magic sign
He’ll say “What you need is Obama Potion Number Nine”

He’ll turn around and gave me a wink
He’ll say “I’m gonna have my Michelle make it up right here in the White House sink”
It’ll smell like Chicago, it’ll look like socialist ink
I’ll hold my nose, I’ll close my eyes, I’ll take a drink

I won’t know if it is day or night
I’ll start grabbin’ everyone else’s money that is in sight
But when there’s nothin’ left to grab
It’ll break my little bottle of Obama Potion Number Nine

MB4 on February 11, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Terrye on February 11, 2009 at 6:50 PM

And was the Patriot Act a domestic spending program? If I remember correctly conservatives were pushing pretty hard for Bush to go after terrorists, revamp and improve our intelligence services, etc. I do not remember many of them being overly concerned with the costs of any of that.

Terrye on February 11, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Terrye on February 11, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Things would probably be worse now but closer to recovering. Your question assumes that we are at the worse now. We have just been prolonging the pain, not stopping it. Things will be much worse before they improve. Many here may not live long enough to see an economy like we’ve had the past 2 decades.

genso on February 11, 2009 at 6:53 PM

The people want a “bailout”, we all do…but no one really is telling the voters what is in the bailout.
Everyone wants a stimulus plan…but no one really is telling the voters what is in the stimulus plan.
That’s the problem…if the question was: Do you want congress to pass a stimulus plan that only has 15% of it as stimulus and rest spent on “pet” projects, and put us in further debt…would you want this bill passed?
The question of do you want an stimulus bill, and that fact that everyone wants the economy to be “stimulated”, makes the question moot.

right2bright on February 11, 2009 at 6:54 PM

genso:

How do you know that? My point is that financial markets all over the world were on the brink of disaster. I doubt if all those people were part of some complicated plot in which they lost trillions of dollars just so they could con the government out of some recovery money.

It could very well be that if Bush had ignored Congress and refused to act and had just let the banking sector collapse, that the ripples of that would have lead to a global financial collapse. The Democrats would not only have won the election, they would have a larger majority and the Republicans would be help completely responsible for the downturn. They would have even more freedom to do what they liked.

Terrye on February 11, 2009 at 6:57 PM

right2bright on February 11, 2009 at 6:54 PM

Right you are. Ask about the individual parts of the plan (after, of course, explaining to most people what it means to them) and those numbers will fall dramatically. Obama is the carny barker and we’ve just bought a ticket to see the bearded lady.

genso on February 11, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Stock up on toilet paper America. You’re going to need it to wipe your mouths of all the s#!t in this crap sandwich and to dab at all the drool from the Obamamia that is still infecting this nation.

Seriously, I can barely stand to check up on events these days. My country… it’s leaving me.

I’m losing my country. I don’t think I’ve ever been so depressed. I love my country, I want it back but it seems most of this country is aganat me and many of us on this forum. If this nation doesn’t wake the F up come 2010 or 2012 (if there is even a USA left by that time) then what? Will it be time then to pick up the rifle?

Yakko77 on February 11, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Who could resist?

The million trillion dollar question.

Limerick on February 11, 2009 at 6:58 PM

right2bright:

I think people would have been just as happy with the bill put forth by that Blue Dog Minnick from Idaho. It was 170 billion. If I remember correctly, it was 100 billion directly to low and middle income people and 70 billion for short term job growth through public infrastructure. Any money not spent by 2010 would go directly back to the Treasury and if the economy showed growth, the money would stop. But Obama never gave them a choice like that.

Terrye on February 11, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Oh so easy.

Live in the America you built. Live in the America Congress grants you.

Lazyboys for everyone!

Limerick on February 11, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Terrye on February 11, 2009 at 6:57 PM

You don’t see the scope of the whole thing. This started back in the summer of 2007 and the Fed and Treasury have been fiddling around with the market and trying to keep it propped up since August on 2007. All it has done is postponed the inevitable and cost us trillions in debt. Had the weaknesses been allowed to fall out of the market as it should, then a large majority of the toxic assets would have gone away as well. This economy has all the life of Raccoon Town now.

genso on February 11, 2009 at 7:02 PM

If you want to see a good site that has graphs and a lot of information on the bill ReadtheStimulus.org has a lot of information.

Terrye on February 11, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Let’s light up the switchboards boys and girls.

Boycott Maine. Don’t go see their stinkin’ leaves this fall or ever again. Don’t spend your tourism dollars there. Don’t spend them in PA either. Murtha and Specter both from Pennsylvania. Is there something in the water there? Were they part of the inspection team at 3-mile island?

I read where Lugar from Indiana might also support this POS bill. I emailed and called his office since he’s my POS senator.

We can’t quit fighting.

Oink on February 11, 2009 at 7:03 PM

The link did not work. Let me try that again Read the Stimulus. org

Terrye on February 11, 2009 at 7:03 PM

LIberty is dead.

Glad to see someone actually classified as brilliant agrees!

GOODBYE, AMERICA! IT WAS FUN WHILE IT LASTED
February 11, 2009

klickink.wordpress.com on February 11, 2009 at 7:04 PM

genso:

Well actually it started a decade ago, but the point is the economy can not function without the banking system. No doubt if the goverment had done things differently a decade ago, two years ago whatever this might have been averted, but I am also sure that no matter what they would have done people would have criticized it.

Terrye on February 11, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Terrye on February 11, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Most people complain about pain. Still, its no reason to turn over your country to socialism. The concept of freedom should be worth a little pain. No so with this weak citizenry. We are getting exactly what we deserve. Plan your life accordingly.

genso on February 11, 2009 at 7:08 PM

And I don’t think it would have just worked out on its own either. Left to their own devices banks would not have made a lot of these loans, and so the old rules did not apply. It is a little late now to say we just have let nature take its course.

Terrye on February 11, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Banking system?

Where?

The whole purpose of this boondoggle is to remove “toxic” assets to allow the banks to create more credit lines. Well hod-diggity-damn. Let’s loan money to the toxic asset holders to hold more toxic assets.

What would Captain Walker do?

Limerick on February 11, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Here’s an interesting article by Charles Kesler on what we can expect from Obama.

JohnJ on February 11, 2009 at 7:10 PM

genso:

I am not talking about turning the country over to socialism. There is nothing socialistic about stopping a collapse of the banking industry, considering the fact that they had a lot of help getting there. A capitalist economy can not function without credit.

That is the problem here, we have too many people on the left who think that government can and should do everything…and we have too many people on the right who think that any intervention on the part of government is socialism. That is why Democrats win elections, people do not want to just sit back and watch it all tumble down around them while someone lectures them on socialism.

I certainly do not support this plan, I have contacted all my representatives and told them so. But that does not mean that I think Bush had any realistic choice in September, people would have considered it criminally irresponsible to do any less.

Terrye on February 11, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Terrye on February 11, 2009 at 7:08 PM

With all respect, I’m not so willing to roll over on the plans to socialize this country. Do you have any core beliefs that might possibly change your mind? If not, then you are like the Vichy French, going along to get along, just so you don’t have to sacrifice anything. But, like the Vichy found out, you will still have many sacrifices to make before its over. I sleep better when I go to bed with my principles intact.

genso on February 11, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Fifty years of dumbing down has finally paid off. The majority of our population is too ignorant, fat, lazy and stupid to figure anything out. They’re like cattle going to slaughter.

UnEasyRider on February 11, 2009 at 5:54 PM

True that. In the country I thought I knew, the spectre of Julio and Henrietta would’ve been an embarrassment to Obama and caused a serious re-evaluation of the plan. In the country I thought I knew there would be people across the country yelling at the television, “get off yer ass and get a job” to those two.

But right now this is not the country I thought I knew. I told my kids today at the dinner table that they will enter their adult years with two new dependents: Julio and Henrietta and that they’ll have to work hard to support them for the rest of their lives.

PackerBronco on February 11, 2009 at 7:13 PM

PackerBronco on February 11, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Funny about the kids. Be careful, though, some do-gooder out there will report you for scaring the crap out of them. I know what you mean about Julio and Henrietta. I found that I was embarrassed for them and for this country. Pathetic and sad.

genso on February 11, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Based on the above, the best current investment plan is to drink heavily and recycle. It is called the 401-KEG Plan.

MB4 on February 11, 2009 at 5:59 PM

LOL!! I had to email that to a couple of friends (don’t worry, I didn’t take credit, they know I’m not that clever.)

You don’t have to fear an Obama presidency.
—-John McCain, Campaign 2008

Just one of his many mistakes during the campaign

XWing5 on February 11, 2009 at 7:20 PM

exDemocrat: You overestimate these voters. They watch The View, Oprah, American Idol, and Chris Matthews/Keith Olberman.

At nearly the tipping point of the non-taxpaying and the taxpaying, are we surprised at the support for this nonsense? What happens when the number of unemployed reaches 10% or 12% or more? These people won’t be paying taxes, but they will be heading toward the expanded trough of goodies that this bill provides.

onlineanalyst on February 11, 2009 at 7:33 PM

All of this pork makes me want some porkchop sandwiches caution strong language

cobrakai99 on February 11, 2009 at 7:33 PM

We need to take out about 20 Democrat Senators in 2010.

Rick007 on February 11, 2009 at 7:34 PM

I still think this can be stopped, but if it can’t be…then…my heart goes out to those who will lose so many jobs from this.

This will be a bad depression, but we can turn it around in 2010 and 2012.

Jesse on February 11, 2009 at 7:37 PM

I don’t believe the reported poll numbers. Something stinks here.

Mason on February 11, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Terrye,
There can be only one of you who spells her name that way…

As usual, your grasp of ideas is permanantly tarnished by your former liberal beliefs. If you don’t see the Socialism in all that’s going on you know very little about the topic.

And you obviously know very little about the Banking industry and what got us here in the first place.

“That is the problem here, we have too many people on the left who think that government can and should do everything…and we have too many people on the right who think that any intervention on the part of government is socialism.”

And then there are moderates who have no strong core beliefs to know the difference. Stick to AJ where only moderates are welcome.

Whippet

Whippet on February 11, 2009 at 7:46 PM

I’d be totally with the stimulus if Congress would let us all vote on whether our tax dollars will go to support current programs or the stimulus. Under such a regimen, those of us voting for the stimulus would obligate our children and grandchildren unto the last generation to pay the resulting taxes, while those of us voting against would volunteer not to take advantage of any solely stimulus-provided benefits, unto the last generation.

I’m wondering, if the “invoice for services” were presented individually to the voters, whether any of them would opt to assume the liability expressed in the invoice.

I’m betting NO. These people need to think past the pretty face on the TV and into their pocketbooks.

But I guess the zero down people expect the other people to take care of them. Really sad.

unclesmrgol on February 11, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Anybody know if the money for Pelosi’s field mice and the money for the socialized health care survived thanks to the BO Republicans?

ultracon on February 11, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Mason

Go to http://www.macsmind.com to see an alternative poll. Allah seems to love to post about those less positive polls for Conservatives. It appears that Gallup has been the most positive for the Dems lately by quite a large margin…

Whippet on February 11, 2009 at 8:03 PM

The stimulus package won’t work. The public is holding onto their money because they have lost faith in the economic system. They have lost faith because the government doesn’t seem to understand that you can’t spend more than you take in year after year without going broke. The people understand that they will try to raise revenues by imposing taxes on everything that moves.

You can’t fix the problem by doing what caused the problem. This is the opposite of what’s needed.

At best, the stimulus package is minor short term gain for major long term pain. At worst, it’s no short term gain and long term pain which is incalculable. But I wouldn’t expect anything less from a naive socialist like Obama.

It’s useful to keep in mind that Obama is no more qualified to lead on the economy than he is on defense. On defense this is the guy who agitated for his country to concede oil rich Iraq to al Qaeda and Iran in a war that was not only winnable but won even before he took office. The significance of his moronic approach in 2007 and 2008 about what to do in Iraq continues to be ignored. It was a harbinger of his competence in dealing with complex issues.

Basilsbest on February 11, 2009 at 8:09 PM

(See WW2, See apathy pre 9-11..and now this)

Too bad that fall will result in a conquering before we do. Pre-9-11 apathy and irreversible social dependency are two different things. I for one, think the gig is up. And that god forsaken, self-gelding jackass Arlen Specter is practically taking credit for his fortitude in the matter. I wish him nothing but ill.

-T

The Therapist on February 11, 2009 at 8:11 PM

I’ll do you one poll better AP. The Rasmussen Poll says 60+% say they could do a better job with the economy than the Congress. While 40+% say if they randomly picked people out of the phonebook, those folks could do better than Congress on the economy. That’s some kind of faith and support in Pork and Crap Sandwich and those Democrats! Now that’s Hope & Change you can believe in.

Sultry Beauty on February 11, 2009 at 8:13 PM

We need to take out about 20 Democrat Senators in 2010.

Rick007 on February 11, 2009 at 7:34 PM

If by “take out” you mean defeat in their re-election contests, then be aware the their are only 15 Dems up for re-election in 2010.

Jaibones on February 11, 2009 at 8:20 PM

As someone above pointed out, go look at Gallup.

I didn’t see anything on the site that stated the proportion of Dem to Indie to Rep that were polled. Did I miss something?

INC on February 11, 2009 at 8:27 PM

then be aware the their are only 15 Dems up for re-election in 2010.

And Arlen Specter. He needs to lose his seat. He needs to lose his house, his livelihood, his small motor skills, his ability to feed himself, whatever. Somebody help me knock this uber-eunuch out of his senate office when it comes up, will ya?

I freaking hate that man.

-T

The Therapist on February 11, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Whippet

Thanks for the tip. I knew there had to be more to the story.

Cheers

Mason on February 11, 2009 at 8:44 PM

More pork than a trillion cans of SPAM… and idiots blindly support it.

profitsbeard on February 11, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Let the Democrats buy this piece of crap. ONE YEAR from now, let’s see when the ‘stimulated’ economy is at.

GarandFan on February 11, 2009 at 9:19 PM

“And btw, if Bush had just let the bottom fall out of the financial markets back in September, what makes anyone think we would be better off today? Why wouldn’t that have helped the Democrats get even more money later?”

Terrrrry: “… Electronic Run On Banks September 15, 2009 – $550 Billion Withdrawn In 1 Hour, Federal Reserve Halts Withdrawls – US Economy Would Have Collapsed…

“Rep. Paul Kanjorski of Pennsylvania explains what former Treasury Secretary Paulson and Fed Chairman Bernanke told congress during the September 2008 closed door session. During the first third of the video an enraged caller is ranting to Rep. Kanjorski about how wasteful the first $700 billion bailout was. The best part is 2 minutes and 15 seconds into the tape where Rep. Kanjorski reveals what Paulson and Bernanke told congress that shocked them into supporting the first $700 billion bailout…

…Someone threw us in the middle of the Atlantic ocean without a life raft. We are trying to determine which is the closest shore and whether there is any chance in the world to swim that far. We don’t know…”

davod on February 11, 2009 at 9:41 PM

Here’s what I know: The more socialist it gets, the more you WILL sacrifice. (Unless you are, on balance, a non-producer.)

Michelle told us we would have to sacrifice. That Obama would make us work. That we could “never go back to the way [we] were before.”

We are doing all this so he can live out his own dreams. Which are antithetical to the American dream.

Alana on February 11, 2009 at 9:50 PM

They must be polling McDonald’s employees in Elkhart.

jeanie on February 11, 2009 at 11:15 PM

pork = bribe

The gain in approval is from people who see their little share of something for free. Who cares if it really won’t stimulate the economy?

Common Sense on February 12, 2009 at 12:44 AM

MORONS!!!!

Erockk on February 12, 2009 at 4:29 AM

Whippet:

I know that I did not make up the hysterical bankers and economists screaming that the abyss was right there in front of us. You can say now, after the fact that Bush should have just to hell with it if they die, they die…but all you have to do is look at the polls to know that people would have considered it something akin to dereliction of duty for him to do that. Time and again conservatives cry and moan that they do not have the votes to vote something down and out and time and again they refuse to acknowledge that public opinion matters.

But without public support, you do not have the votes…and the public damn well expected government to do something. You can argue all you want after the fact that Bush did the wrong thing.

Right now libertarians like Reynolds and conservatives like Malkin can join forces with Democrats like Obama to blame everything on Bush…but they can not accept the fact that the public supports government intervention in times of what they perceive to be crisis. Fine, blame Bush. I am sure the Democrats will appreciate all the help they can get. That is what blaming a Republican president for a financial crisis is going to ultimately do: help Democrats.

BTW, when I got up this morning it was dark and I stubbed my toe. Should I blame Bush?

Terrye on February 12, 2009 at 7:08 AM

Was it this poll?

LibTired on February 12, 2009 at 9:01 AM

The recession will end, as they always do, and the Dems will work overtime to try to take credit for it.

The solution for the resistance is to go John Galt. I’m not working or investing for these robber barons. If you can’t go John Galt, go Reverse John Galt, and suck the public teat for every dime you can get out of her, even if you have to become a “community organizer” to do it. If you can’t beat them, join them and work from within to destroy the beast.

evergreen on February 12, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Terrye,
As usual democrats never change their M.O. and you are no exception. They have mastered the art of projection and rely on it to justify their beliefs. That mixed in with good old lack of reading comprehension and we have you.

I never blamed Bush for anything so stating it over and over again doesn’t make it true, which of course is another tactic the left uses with great frequency. As a matter of fact, they couldn’t survive without it.

You don’t have an inkling of any conservative principles, in particular the concept of government staying out of what drives the markets that support capitalism and democracy. Government produces nothing other than waste. It stifles creativity, desires, dreams, expectations and most importantly, ambition. In the hands of liberals, socialists and marxists it strives to strip away a country’s most precious commodities and make them dependent on a government for no other purpose than to guarantee votes during the next election cycle so they can remain in power. It’s just another form of “slavery” imposed on the very people they profess to free.

Watch and learn, Terrye. If you can. We are here because of people like you. Those who thought McCain, being the moderate that he is, could bring the parties together. Or Specter, Snowe and Collins who want just what you want. They say they don’t like the stimulus but we have to do something! Anything!

The ends don’t justify the means…look it up.

Whippet