Is this the Stimu-Wagon of the Obama administration?

posted at 10:14 am on February 11, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Guess what the government plans to do with your tax dollars to stimulate the economy?  According to the New York Post, $300 million of Porkulus will go towards purchasing a fleet of “neighborhood electric vehicles”, or NEVs, along with more than $500 million for more traditional electric cars.  Ever seen an NEV?

We used to call them “golf carts”:

The $838 billion economic stimulus bill that passed the Senate yesterday contains $300 million for the government to purchase a fleet of “green” cars.

But the money won’t just go to buy fuel-efficient hybrids such as the Ford Escape or Chevy Volt.

The cash also can be used to purchase “neighborhood electric vehicles.”

The NEVs, which resemble streamlined golf carts, scoot at up to 25 mph, operate on battery power and can be plugged into 110-volt outlets for charging.

They are sometimes used at hospitals, college campuses and retirement communities, and can cost around $8,000 each. They don’t produce carbon emissions.

The House-passed version of the stimulus provides even more money for federal car purchases – $600 million. The pot of money also specifically includes the NEVs.

During Obama’s current campaign to get his stimulus bill through Congress, he’s talked about infrastructure — roads, bridges, energy grids, and so on.  This doesn’t do anything for real infrastructure, but it does help out Earl Pomeroy.  Who’s Earl?  He represents North Dakota, where Global Electric Motorcars produces NEVs.  He and Senator Byron Dorgan apparently inserted this pork to throw federal business to GEM.

Remember when Obama insisted that this bill contains no pork?  It all depends on how one defines pork, stimulus, and infrastructure.

Just words.  Just words.

Update: I forgot to mention the absurd notion that the NEVs don’t create carbon emissions.  Not from a tailpipe, of course, but they create higher electrical demand, which gets provided by coal-burning plants, for the most part.  The NEVs would only eliminate carbon emissions if we started a massive program of building nuclear power plants.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Now that is a cool set of wheels, especially suited for the Upper Midwest in the Winter!

Mr. Joe on February 11, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Break out those orange golf balls, we are going to play some golf and fire up the economy!

Mr. Joe on February 11, 2009 at 10:17 AM

At some point, Rod Serling is going to step out, right? Truly we have left reality. Each new announcement becomes more and more surreal.

ej_pez on February 11, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Well I believe the original ‘green’ vehicle of choice for college campuses used to be the ‘bicycle’.
A bike for every home!
What a stimulus that would be.

Badger40 on February 11, 2009 at 10:18 AM

I live in LA area and I have seen this type of vehicle (NEV) on surface streets out here from time to time. It causes a traffic jam because it can only go 30 mph and just looks peculiar. If you ask me its another $300 million being pissed away.

jbh45 on February 11, 2009 at 10:18 AM

They don’t produce carbon emissions.

No, he coal-fired power plants they get their juice from do. Not that carbon emissions are bad outside of Algore’s hallucinations, jus sayin.

Akzed on February 11, 2009 at 10:19 AM

They don’t produce carbon emissions.

No carbon emissions? What about the electricity they run on? Where does that come from?

Just when I think this “stimulus package” couldn’t get anymore pathetic, they manage to lower the bar even further.

Doughboy on February 11, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Remember when Obama insisted that this bill contains no pork? It all depends on how one defines pork, stimulus, and infrastructure.

Just words. Just words.

Just speeches.

“neighborhood electric vehicles.”

Question: Will these be used by ACORN to “register” voters?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 11, 2009 at 10:19 AM

NEV’s are sooooo 1999.

A Segway in every household!!!!

Ferris on February 11, 2009 at 10:19 AM

The Obamobile.

BobMbx on February 11, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Great!
Let all the stupid Leftos buy them, and then watch all the drunk illegals in 1978 Ford pickup trucks crash into them.
With that side impact profile – problem solved!

TexasJew on February 11, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Lamer than lame. Instead of using hyped-up golf carts, why not just walk – if the distance is too short to drive a normal car? No carbon emissions, no electricity used, and healthier for the government official.

I need BP medication – my pressure is through the roof.

Anna on February 11, 2009 at 10:20 AM

jbh45 on February 11, 2009 at 10:18 AM

I wish they had them here in NJ, cause the way we drive , it wouldn’t be a traffic jam, it would become a speed bump.

MDWNJ on February 11, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Somehow, I think without major government subsidies, people who actually have to use these types of vehicles on a regular basis are going to stick with this.

jon1979 on February 11, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Doughboy on February 11, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Also, what about the carbon emissions it takes to build them?
Nobody ever thinks beyond the ends of their own noses in govt.
Dickwads. The whole lot of them.

Badger40 on February 11, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Guess what the limousine liberals will be driving? It wont be that!

grapeknutz on February 11, 2009 at 10:22 AM

We used to call them “golf carts”:

I thought we had an obesity problem in this country.

Get out and walk, you fat asses.

BuckeyeSam on February 11, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Awwww, how cute!

They should be able to fit 2 of them in the back of Screecher Pelosi’s Escalade.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 11, 2009 at 10:24 AM

And the reason for no carbon emissions is that the electricity, the metal, the rubber for the tires, the metal used in construction, why even the WORKERS, in fact EVERYTHING on an eco NEV is from fruit harvested from Al Gore planted eco friendly carbon ingesting trees!
Now, turn off the computer and back to your WPA appointed task, you- property of the state.

Amendment X on February 11, 2009 at 10:24 AM

I thought we had an obesity problem in this country.

Get out and walk, you fat asses.

BuckeyeSam on February 11, 2009 at 10:23 AM

We can’t have that. If people exercise more, they breathe heavier. Which means they’re exhaling more CO2, thereby increasing their carbon footprint.

Doughboy on February 11, 2009 at 10:24 AM

I’m excited!

lol

ballz2wallz on February 11, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Remember how Dean Cayman’s ‘IT’ was going to be the most amazing invention in history, and when it was released it turned out to be a freakin’ segway?

How many people do you see using one of those to get around these days, apart from Adam on Mythbusters?

BadgerHawk on February 11, 2009 at 10:25 AM

FOUR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Garnett on February 11, 2009 at 10:25 AM

What do you do when it rains?

I’d like to see the crash test videos for these things….

BobMbx on February 11, 2009 at 10:25 AM

That looks like it would be real handy in the snow.

Tad drafty though.

Jim708 on February 11, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Get out and walk, you fat asses.

BuckeyeSam on February 11, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Wrong discussion, Sam. That’s reserved for the nationalized health care portion of the stimulus.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 11, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Remember…in the mid-1930′s Hitler’s Germany came up with the Volkswagon…the “people’s car.” The idea was to help rescue Germany from its economic depression and give the people a car to drive. Kinda looks like a VW Bug without any doors. Could we call it the “O Wagon?”

sdd on February 11, 2009 at 10:26 AM

The ObamaPelosi 25mph 5hp .001z skid path test 25 – 0 50 feet stopping distance. Airbags? No Side Impact Resistant? No Helmets Required? Yes Knee Pads Required? Yes (Barney Frank Amendment) Elbow Pads Required? Yes Special Driver Training Required? Yes (Local Electric Government Mandated Vehicle Training Course $2,000 permit Training). Cost $75,000 Shipping 2020? Dealer Support? None! Warranty? Whatever

sabbott on February 11, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Mr. Joe on February 11, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Its even more suited to the hot humid climate of the South in the summer. Yeah, we don’t need that pesky carbon producing air conditioning at all! PROGRESS!

I always run my errands sweating balls and pit stains on all my shirts. If I stink after a couple hours of sweating my behind off in my new Obamawagon, I can just take another shower! Cool!

Lay-Z on February 11, 2009 at 10:27 AM

I would feel so safe in a vehicle that you can pick up with a pair of tweezers.

sherry on February 11, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Hey!! We have these things for running errands here on campus. They won’t go over 25 mph, even on a steep downhill. Nothing like riding along in a fiberglass sheel and being passed by a Smart – or even worse – getting passed by an 18-wheeler.

They do come with doors, but those don’t work well when the body has been flexed by a high wind.

AubieJon on February 11, 2009 at 10:27 AM

We used to call them “golf carts”:

McCain and Bush 41 looked pretty pathetic tooling up to reporters in that terrible video clip during the campaign.

But if Obama and, say, Biden tool up to reporters in one of these, they’ll be cool as can be.

Hey, someone make sure that Hennrietta from yesterday’s townhall [read "revival rally"] gets one.

BuckeyeSam on February 11, 2009 at 10:28 AM

FOOLS!

Glenn Jericho on February 11, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I’m excited!

lol

ballz2wallz on February 11, 2009 at 10:24 AM

heh…Notice how the two girls in that golf cart don’t appear too excited themselves about it…

JetBoy on February 11, 2009 at 10:29 AM

After four years of this administration, I hope it goes fast enough to kill me when I run it into a wall.

trs on February 11, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 11, 2009 at 10:25 AM

I forgot. We need to have myriad policies all working at cross purposes so that everything remains f*cked up, but we’ll need more federal government to fix it.

FUBAR.

BuckeyeSam on February 11, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Actually, this is a great idea.

This is where we look silly criticizing good ideas.

We should be the party promoting electric vehicles and nuke power.

faraway on February 11, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Awesome. I look forward to trading in my SUV for one of these bad boys and using the difference in cost to buy a loaf of bread.

World B. Free on February 11, 2009 at 10:30 AM

We used to call them “golf carts”:
I thought we had an obesity problem in this country.

Get out and walk, you fat asses.

BuckeyeSam on February 11, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Exactly. Or even use bikes.
Heck, the only time I’ve ever driven a golf cart is when I had my leg immobilized (yep, still golfed)… and the desire to drive it fast and crazy was there (I was young and stupid). I wouldn’t trust that these NEV’s wouldn’t end up wrecked because some idiots wouldn’t care that they were government property/not theirs.

Anna on February 11, 2009 at 10:30 AM

trs on February 11, 2009 at 10:29 AM

It won’t. And you’ll be waiting endlessly in line for health care.

BuckeyeSam on February 11, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Biden would proabably crash one into the press corps. That may not be a bad thing actually.

Lay-Z on February 11, 2009 at 10:31 AM

I had one of those when I was a kid. Two wheeled version with a basket behind the seat. I could go visit my friends or help mom out picking up a few things at the corner grocer.

We called it a bycicle.

fogw on February 11, 2009 at 10:31 AM

That is THE ugliest thing I’ve ever seen…er, change that to ugliest car. Nancy Pelosi would fall into the ugliest thing category.

becki51758 on February 11, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Will we get coupons for the SUV to NEV transition?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 11, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Remember…in the mid-1930’s Hitler’s Germany came up with the Volkswagon…the “people’s car.” The idea was to help rescue Germany from its economic depression and give the people a car to drive. Kinda looks like a VW Bug without any doors. Could we call it the “O Wagon?”

sdd on February 11, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Hey, at least VW’s turned out to make decent cars (I own one). This thing will never be useful.

Anna on February 11, 2009 at 10:32 AM

I’ve reached my saturation point with this bill. Not even outraged. I don’t know, maybe I’ve just accepted that it’s a crap sandwich and that you’ll only find crap in it.

Trent1289 on February 11, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Doughboy on February 11, 2009 at 10:19 AM

It’s OK – we’re all for energy independence – by stopping us from actually getting energy’
No coal
No ANWR
No offshore drilling on 90% of our coasts

It’s like having a famine and then the government stopping us from farming Iowa, Texas and the entire Great Plains – in the name of “food independence”. But they’ll let us have tiny “victory gardens” behind our condos.
It’s not just stupid -it’s psychotic.

TexasJew on February 11, 2009 at 10:33 AM

The military has been using these for about 4 years now. Mostly on the flight line. Cannot be driven on the road because they are not safe. I say try them out on congress first, the real test will be navigating DC traffic in one of these.
We looked at those Smart Cars at a dealership and they said they are very safe. In an accident they are designed to bounce off the other car and when side swiped they spin. I thought it was funny. Instead of broken bones, you only get whiplash and throw up.

milwife88 on February 11, 2009 at 10:33 AM

We should be the party promoting electric vehicles and nuke power.

faraway on February 11, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Sorry, these are idiotic. And we can kiss nuclear power goodbye with these sh*theads in power. I’m already sick of the green energy ads on TV. I anticipate that that will be rolled out with all of the effectiveness of Geithner’s presentation yesterday. The Energy Secretary will be sending every adult, illegals too, two sticks.

Energy independence, my a**.

BuckeyeSam on February 11, 2009 at 10:34 AM

TexasJew on February 11, 2009 at 10:33 AM

I forgot to add “nuclear”, but without transportation fuel, we’ll be dead anyway…

TexasJew on February 11, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Not to mention the waste generated from the batteries.

These morons thing carbon emissions are bad?

catmman on February 11, 2009 at 10:35 AM

yuh, until they come with and 8 foot bed, 4 wheel drive, the ability to plow snow, tow my 17 foot boat, haul a 1/4 cord of wood, have heat, ac, and room for eight, I’ll pass.

Alden Pyle on February 11, 2009 at 10:36 AM

trs on February 11, 2009 at 10:29 AM

I laughed!

We have a winner!

Mark Garnett on February 11, 2009 at 10:36 AM

I thought the energy to recharge my golf cart came from little elves in a magic forest whose love for one another creates power for all the world.

jeff_from_mpls on February 11, 2009 at 10:36 AM

If pork was a solution, we’d have never got where we are now.

TheSitRep on February 11, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Note to Offshore America Haters:

No need to attack us any more. We’re voting ourselves back to the Stone Age.

BobMbx on February 11, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Whoa! Neighborhood electric vehicles? Aren’t we supposed to be about forcing everyone to give up transfats, muffins, candy, enchiladas, sodas, cigarettes, alcohol, and so on? Shouldn’t we be forcing people to walk in their neighborhoods? Whose district has the manufacturing plant?

obladioblada on February 11, 2009 at 10:38 AM

I would feel so safe in a vehicle that you can pick up with a pair of tweezers.

sherry on February 11, 2009 at 10:27 AM

That’s just part of the global warming campaign. When this NEV gets smacked in a collisiona and you get killed, then you’re using less resources to hurt Gaia.

Decrease the surplus population AND eliminate carbon emissions – two birds as it were…

catmman on February 11, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Bring that “thing” to Montana and we’ll see how well it gets along with the massive 4 Wheel drives and trucks all over the road….

mjk on February 11, 2009 at 10:41 AM

We should be the party promoting electric vehicles and nuke power.

faraway on February 11, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Yeah, but useful vehicles that can replace current gas powered cars. This thing is a feel good vanity piece. You’d have to own it in addition to a regular car, and can only use it to go places you could walk or ride a bike to anyways.

Waste of money, from the government or the consumer.

BadgerHawk on February 11, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Wind turbines are a joke. These 2.5 million dollar steel behemoths (which cost a huge amount of fossil fuel to manufacture and transport), produce an average, before line loss and using average efficiency rates, of only 4 barrels of oil per day. And then there are maintenance costs – far more than stripper oil wells that produce far more energy. And, of course, they are not reliable, since they are dependent upon intermittant winds.
In short, wind turbines are a crappy, dishonest approach to our critical energy needs.

In essence, the majority of these turbines cost more energy to make, transport and maintain than they will ever produce.
They are just tax sinkholes and will never compete against coal, oil or gas on any cost basis.

TexasJew on February 11, 2009 at 10:44 AM

A bike for every home!
What a stimulus that would be.

Cacn I have a Trek carbonfiber road bike? Fully decked out? It would only cost about $2,000, thus saving the government $6,000. See, I can be thrifty as well.

todler on February 11, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Is this the Stimu-Wagon of the Obama administration?

I christen thee: “Breadbasket”.

To hell we go.

Seriously, “neighborhood electric vehicles”?

Yes, I’ll pay a few thousand dollars to buy a vehicle to get me to places around the corner that I currently enjoy walking to.

Only a leftist could dream up something this stupid and this economically unfeasible.

NoDonkey on February 11, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Guess what the limousine liberals will be driving? It wont be that!
grapeknutz on February 11, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Ferrari will produce a $250,000 – 120 mph version for them.

eeyore on February 11, 2009 at 10:45 AM

I am eternally sick of politics. All I see is a concerted effort to destroy the United States, by both sides of the aisle.

I don’t trust any of them to make proper decisions and frankly would welcome a military takeover of our government. They seem to be the only honorable group left.

eaglesdontflock on February 11, 2009 at 10:46 AM

No carbon emissions? Are these NEV’s to be plugged into nuclear or hydro-electric outlets only? Wind mills? Solar panels?

Good luck with that.

Woody

woodcdi on February 11, 2009 at 10:46 AM

And they could market the NEVs with the slogan “Schweinvergnügung” — the pleasures of “pork”.

LastRick on February 11, 2009 at 10:47 AM

TexasJew on February 11, 2009 at 10:44 AM

You’re forgetting the “value” in how good they make certain types of people feel about themselves.

JiangxiDad on February 11, 2009 at 10:48 AM

A bike for every home!
What a stimulus that would be.

Do you realize how much methane is released pumping those pedals?

Sheesh! :-)

Woody

woodcdi on February 11, 2009 at 10:49 AM

OT: in Fort Myers yesterday, Obama offered Henrietta to have his staff talk to her. But who ultimately offers her the home?

The wife of a GOP state senator.

Classic: conservatives have the private answer, Dems tell her to go stand in line.

BuckeyeSam on February 11, 2009 at 10:49 AM

trs on February 11, 2009 at 10:29 AM

That’s the funniest thing I have laughed at in ages and what’s concerning is the fact that it’s so true!!

I’m beginning to appreciate gallows humor more and more each day….. that speaks volumes.

tru2tx on February 11, 2009 at 10:49 AM

I want to see the armored version that President Ogabe plans on using.

Bishop on February 11, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Whose district has the manufacturing plant?

obladioblada on February 11, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Exactly. These things are great for, uh, commuting? Not where I live, I’d be run over in a matter of days. Trips to the grocery store? Sure, if you only have to use side streets. I think they’d be great for golf courses but I’d be afraid to drive one TO our local golf course.

scalleywag on February 11, 2009 at 10:50 AM

eaglesdontflock on February 11, 2009 at 10:46 AM

I am waiting for the Million Henrietta March on Washington. Tensions are rising and expectations are high. Giving that woman a house and probably one of these stupid vehicles just for asking a question is dangerous territory. How could one Obama voter be satisfied with a $500 check, a chance to hold up the Slow sign on the highway or a volunteer summer job when another gets a shiny new kitchen?

sherry on February 11, 2009 at 10:52 AM

One question.. What happens when everyone plugs their cute little electric cars into the electric cord in the evening? And you thought the airconditioners shut down the power grid…LOL

rich801 on February 11, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Whose district has the manufacturing plant?

obladioblada on February 11, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Do the letters D-ND sound about right?

And who, in ANY state of mind designs a “car” like this while living in North Dakota?????????????

Jim708 on February 11, 2009 at 10:53 AM

I want to see the Weenie-in-chief tooling around DC in a new Gov’t golf cart. Be sure to wear your plastic helmet, Weenie!

james23 on February 11, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Jim708 on February 11, 2009 at 10:53 AM

What else is there to do in ND?

Ferris on February 11, 2009 at 10:55 AM

“But neither Capitol Hill aides nor the Energy Department was able to say specifically what the carts would be used for, nor does the stimulus bill.” says the Post article.

scalleywag on February 11, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Hey, low-ride it, trick it out with some fly rims, glitter tape, and a blast-the-neighbors’-windows stereo, and you got yourself a Pimp-NEV! I can see them now, cruising the mean streets of Bismarck….

Does the earmark include accessories like the Biden bobble-head doll for the dash?

irishspy on February 11, 2009 at 10:55 AM

What do you do when it rains?

BobMbx on February 11, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Good question! It’s got a huge windshield, but no wiper…

So these NEV’s cost $8,000 each and can “scoot” at 25 mph? Big whoop-de-doo–for $2,000 more you can get a new Nissan Versa and “scoot” at 80 mph, if you’re willing to accept some carbon emissions.

Twenty-five mph is a horrible top speed–they would slow down traffic near busy shopping centers (where most drivers go about 35-40 mph), yet they would be too fast for bike riders on sidewalks. And 25 mph in a hospital corridor is downright dangerous–how many semi-ambulatory patients dragging an IV apparatus would get run over by these things?

Electric vehicles don’t prevent pollution–they only move it from where the vehicle runs to the nearest power plant, unless the electricity comes from a nuclear power plant. Burn gasoline in a car, you get a certain efficiency–power output for heat input. Large power plants are more efficient than gasoline-engine cars, but then there’s transformer losses, transmission losses, and energy losses in the electric vehicle itself, which may make electric vehicles MORE polluting overall than gasoline cars.

But would Congress bother to do such calculations? Nah–just throw green money and say we’re green, and let the buyer beware!

Steve Z on February 11, 2009 at 10:56 AM

My life for you.

Dear Leader.

My life for yoooooooou

Mr. Joe on February 11, 2009 at 10:57 AM

This actually a good thing. When Granny don’t get her hip replacement, she will need one of these. She will need transportation to the polling place, so that she can vote for some more hope and change.

bloggless on February 11, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Flintstones, it’s the Flintstones
Their the modern stone age family!
In the town of Bedrock
They peddle their NEV right into history!

Limerick on February 11, 2009 at 11:00 AM

$600 million for this kind of nonsense?

It’s good to have friends in government, isn’t it Earl Pomeroy?

AZCoyote on February 11, 2009 at 11:00 AM

and the dems thought the video of mccain cruising around with bush 41 in a golf cart looked goofy

good grief…

i can picture obama/pelosi/reid hitting the links in this thing…

what a joke our federal government has become… pathetic, incompetent, and a thorough disgrace to this country

gatorboy on February 11, 2009 at 11:00 AM

You’ll all be singing a different tune when the Oslime-a urbanites start blinging those bad boys up with some Mercedes hood ornaments, lowering them 3 inches, and putting 24′s on them.

csdeven on February 11, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Ahmadinejad can be chauffered around in one when he comes here to have dinner at the White House and rents out the Lincoln bedroom.

scalleywag on February 11, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Ronald Reagan, 45 years ago; could be true today.

kthomas8268 on February 11, 2009 at 11:04 AM

hey peddle their NEV right into history!

Limerick on February 11, 2009 at 11:00 AM

ahahahaha. Better resole your tennis shoes before you buy one.

scalleywag on February 11, 2009 at 11:05 AM

…they create higher electrical demand, which gets provided by coal-burning plants, for the most part. The NEVs would only eliminate carbon emissions if we started a massive program of building nuclear power plants.

Yer not supposed to notice that. Even if you notice it, yer not supposed to talk about it, much less write about it.

Does it come factory equipped with an air pressure gauge? Did anyone check the air pressure in those tires?

petefrt on February 11, 2009 at 11:07 AM

petefrt on February 11, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Way ahead of ya, Pete. Those tires are solid cellulose, made from recycled election ballots.

BobMbx on February 11, 2009 at 11:10 AM

So this golfcart thingy is $8,000 now?

What happens to the price once the Democraps require it to have a crash proof roll cage, airbags, halogen fire extinguishing system, child proof locks, four point passenger restraint, impact absorbing bumpers, safety glass, and DUI/blow in the tube lock on the ignition?

Limerick on February 11, 2009 at 11:11 AM

The cars that run off of compressed air make more sense. I think India is mass producing them. I still don’t see them working up north.

Cindy Munford on February 11, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Welcome to the new world of less.

By the way, the rest of the world’s getting more pissed by the day that we keep our thermostats at 72 degrees. Cardigan sweaters, anyone?

Cicero43 on February 11, 2009 at 11:12 AM

But they do produce carbon emissions. What does the US use to generate most of its power, since the Democrats shut down our nuclear program? Answer: Coal and gas. Every electron moved down the wire and into a NEV causes some form of CO2 emission.

And when the batteries wear out, we have a toxic waste disposal scenario which dwarfs the problems associated with CO2 disposal (which, as Al Gore has shown us, can be mitigated with the promise of planting a tree).

So each of these cars gives us a double whammy — CO2 + toxic waste.

unclesmrgol on February 11, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Cardigan sweaters, anyone?

Cicero43 on February 11, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Nothing beats, dare I say, fur.

Limerick on February 11, 2009 at 11:13 AM