Dem aides: There may be three more GOP votes in the Senate for stimulus

posted at 4:35 pm on February 11, 2009 by Allahpundit

I think they’re blowing smoke, but don’t underestimate the power of Hopenchange or the bandwagon effect of a bill whose passage is a fait accompli.

Given the ever-increasing partisanship around the issue, which Republicans might ultimately cast a “yea” on the economic stimulus package?

The Fix polled a handful of wise Democratic Hill operatives today on that very question. In the Senate, possible GOP switchers include George Voinovich (Ohio), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Richard Lugar (Ind.) while in the House Reps. Fred Upton (Mich.), Mike Castle (Del.) and Jim Gerlach (Pa.) are potential switches, according to these sources.

I get the logic of Voinovich and Lugar — they’re from blue-collar purple states and have to prove they’re doing something to create jobs — but what’s Murkowski’s excuse? She’s from Palinland! It’s time to cowboy up. Exit question: Do we kick these three out of the caucus, too?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Precisely, but the GOP isn’t doing a good job of communicating this.

BuckeyeSam on February 11, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I don’t think anyone’s had the time needed to read it for implications and consequences of language. I think they got it late Saturday night and went to conference on Sunday.

Texas Gal on February 11, 2009 at 5:22 PM

I’m now starting to hope for Terrorists to attack the capital building now.

lavell12 on February 11, 2009 at 4:44 PM

How would that help? The terrorist party is running Congress now.

kirkill on February 11, 2009 at 5:23 PM

The Sen. Incitatus caucus is firmly in control.
We’re doomed…

Bruno Strozek on February 11, 2009 at 5:25 PM

I think they got it late Saturday night and went to conference on Sunday.
Texas Gal on February 11, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Funny how these congressional fish-heads are always taking time off, yet now they’re burning candles down to the wick on the weekends to get this bill passed.

Bishop on February 11, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Lisa Murkowski (Alaska)

Murkowski’s always been a “moderate”, and Alaskans expect their senators to bring home the bacon. And now Murkowski’s the state’s senior senator with a seat on appropriations. She might figure that she stands to gain more with her constituents by voting for it (if she can steer some of that money to local governments in Alaska) than she does to lose with conservatives in the Lower 48. Still, I’m not sure that she’ll vote for it. She has lots of political cover to vote against it.

meltenn on February 11, 2009 at 5:27 PM

This whole RINO tag is really getting old. If you don’t like how they vote than unseat them. Michael Steele needs to purge those from the party by denouncement & refusing to fund campaigns. Talk is cheap. Lets get it done.

portlandon on February 11, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I’m now starting to hope for Terrorists to attack the capital building now.

lavell12 on February 11, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Wow…I’ve seen some stupid crap posted here before, but THIS, this is St.Olaf class stupidity.

Doesn’t anyone moderate this crap?

SuperCool on February 11, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I’m now starting to hope for Terrorists to attack the capital building now.

lavell12 on February 11, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Nice knowing you lavell12. Say hello to Noneya,St.Olaf,& VernonHardapple for us.

portlandon on February 11, 2009 at 5:33 PM

I’m now starting to hope for Terrorists to attack the capital building now.

lavell12 on February 11, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Take that crap over to the HuffPo or KOS, where they gleefully celebrate the deaths or misfortunes of political opponents. Comments like this, even in dumb-ass jest, have no place here.

Mike D. on February 11, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Sounds ironclad to me.

Jim Treacher on February 11, 2009 at 5:36 PM

lorien1973 on February 11, 2009 at 5:12 PM
Texas Gal on February 11, 2009 at 5:19 PM

I think both of you missed the key point here – we should negotiate for more Mountain Dew!

Personally, I don’t see much of a point in name calling (though I do admit to using it myself on occasion). If person A defines RINO as “anyone that’s not a social con”, that’s good for them. If they spot someone that’s not a social con and call them a RINO, I guess they’re right by their own standards. It just doesn’t achieve much. Perhaps the person (or the person’s people) get their hackles raised and get distracted by trying to convince people they aren’t a RINO, but that’s it.

As for where I stand, I’m a fiscal libertarian & social/security conservative but to the extent that I can control my temper and think before I speak, I try to remember the 11th Commandment – Speak no ill of fellow Republicans. If Specter et al identify as Republicans, that’s great. I’m glad to have more people on the team.

Instead of spending my time calling names, I’d rather try to give these guys a reason to vote no. Specter has expressed that the bill was pushed through so fast there wasn’t time to read over it. He obviously doesn’t like the medical oversight provisions and there are other things that he’d like to fix in there as well. That’s what we should work on….kicking people out of the club (which I know is not what either of you were advocating) achieves nothing but temporary catharsis for those of us that are angry. It doesn’t change how these people voted in the past and how they’ll vote in the future.

Don’t just write and tell them you’re against it. Definitely don’t waste time telling them that you’re against them and think they suck. Explain what your issues are. Perhaps I’m the naivest person left in the party, but, if enough people are talking sense, I think there’s a chance they’ll listen.

JadeNYU on February 11, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Big A

Richard Lugar has been a disappointment lately. From amnesty …. now this….

The longer one remains in office, the greater the social pressure to listen to the DC elites, and ignore the phone calls from your constituents.

ColtsFan on February 11, 2009 at 5:48 PM

I’m sure Voinovich is just doing it for his grandchildren.

Slublog on February 11, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Was he crying?

onlineanalyst on February 11, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Mike D. on February 11, 2009 at 5:33 PM

I’m with you, Mike!

Bruno Strozek on February 11, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Time to find a new party boys and girls. Whatever RINO votes for the crap, update your resume. Obama can always use more butt smoochers and boot lickers. You sell-out wimps…….
Bipartisan and bisexual means the same thing these days. On any given day, they are willing to bend over.

JeffinOrlando on February 11, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Republicans need to open up their damn mouth! I don’t know if anyone heard Rush today but man he had me fired up! If the Lord doesn’t come first, the Republicans will take over again because all of this non-stimulating stimulous is not going to work! But it could be to late by then.

Eyvonne on February 11, 2009 at 6:00 PM

game

set

match

That’s it boys and girls. They won. We lost.

Enjoy socialism.

angryed on February 11, 2009 at 6:02 PM

JadeNYU on February 11, 2009 at 5:46 PM

I got your point and I agree with it. Some don’t understand the difference between Party principles and Party platform.

The So-Cons have narrowly defined their principles. The GOP principles are pretty simple and pretty large tent and not limited to only social issues related to gays and abortion.

Texas Gal on February 11, 2009 at 6:08 PM

Most likely some Republicans think that they did their job by voting against the bill first time around and now they can pander to their constituents and say that “it was going to pass anyway and I know our state needs help.” Or they got tired of being called obstructionists.

katiejane on February 11, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Dem aides: There may be three more GOP votes in the Senate for stimulus

I’m sure all of our yellow dog republicans are as proud as can be…

Zorro on February 11, 2009 at 6:20 PM

As each day passes, my Republican blood is boiling over to Libertarian.
My biggest issue against the libertarian party is the drugs…but you know, dope up the idiots, maybe then they will be too stoned to vote…because right now they are high on Obama and their 2nd hand smoke is killing me.

Conservative Voice on February 11, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Does this surprise anyone?

Whether it is the Gang of 14 or the Gang of 3 or the Gang of 6 the story is always the same.

That new RNC is just as effective as the old RNC.

Comrade, if we got rid of the sell outs, we wouldn’t have a party.

Angry Dumbo on February 11, 2009 at 6:23 PM

The Stimulus Bill should be enough to stimulate Americans opposed to it to vote against whoever did vote for it come the next time they are up for re-election.

pilamaye on February 11, 2009 at 6:33 PM

I’m so glad my Senator (Burr) always makes the right call and never supports liberal BS.

lavell12 on February 11, 2009 at 6:38 PM

game

set

match

That’s it boys and girls. They won. We lost.

Enjoy socialism.

angryed on February 11, 2009 at 6:02 PM

No, now the task is to see how we can prevent further damage and/or reverse things in this bill. And to figure out how we can each best take care of ourselves.

obladioblada on February 11, 2009 at 6:43 PM

obladioblada on February 11, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Not to be rude, but you need to take a drug test. The good thing for you though is that pretty soon, drugs will be legal. And free. And then you can just drift off into a comatose state like the Obama supporters lovers.

JeffinOrlando on February 11, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Exit question: Do we kick these three out of the caucus, too?

No. We grow the party by growing its conservative base via the use of conservative arguments. In this case, it is intuitively obvious (and soon enough will be experienced) that government does not create wealth, it appropriates it. Then takes a (big) cut. Then redistributes it in accordance with ITS preferences, whether Democrat or Republican.

The preferences of government are politically determined by the special interests who have purchased favor, whether Democrat or Republican. These interests may or may not coincide with ones personal interests, but they certainly introduce economic inefficiency relative to the elegant supply and demand determined distribution of scarce resources provided by free markets unperturbed by either government intervention or unlawful greed. Free markets most efficiently create the vast wealth that government appropriates.

Folks out of work, preserving work, providing work should vote for economic efficiency, vote for smaller government, vote conservative, vote Republican (to the extent they really follow through next time).

exdeadhead on February 11, 2009 at 6:55 PM

I’m now starting to hope for Terrorists to attack the capital building now.
lavell12 on February 11, 2009 at 4:44 PM
That’s an unfortunate, and foolish, response.

Be aware that if you make an “unpopular” comment, it will be removed and sanctimonious posters will make snotty comments…

anniekc on February 11, 2009 at 7:43 PM

JeffinOrlando on February 11, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Really?

I’m not the type to rollover just because the Dems had a victory. I’ll keep contacting legislators and doing what I can to change things. If it doesn’t work now, there may be victories later.

I’m also self-sufficient and will take care of my family and myself.

What alternative do you propose?

obladioblada on February 11, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Really?

I’m also self-sufficient and will take care of my family and myself.

What alternative do you propose?

obladioblada on February 11, 2009 at 8:24 PM

With all due respect, seriously, I don’t want to argue with you because you are optimistic about the future. It’s not rolling over when one determines that the future is in serious, serious jeopardy. The democrats are going full speed ahead with putting themselves in a position to get their way for a very, very long time. Which means power and the destruction of anything and everyone that could ever put that at risk. And as much as I appreciate you contacting legislators – how is that working for any of us at this point? Our representatives don’t give a flip. They have the power, they have the control.
You are self-sufficient? I really hope you are able to stay that way. My guess is that your kids will be less self-sufficient regardless of how much you leave them.
The alternative? To be honest, I am not sure. But one thing I know for sure, is that the republican party is not it. I am not sure that if McCain had been elected we might be looking at something very similar of what we see today. I’m not rolling over when I say the republican party is dead as a political movement. It’s a party – not a movement. And the fat lady is finished with her song.
Good luck and God bless us all.

JeffinOrlando on February 11, 2009 at 11:11 PM

JeffinOrlando:

With all due respect, I’m curious. How old are you?

We will take care of our own the best we can. With these changes the “new” best won’t be as good as the old. I can’t individually change anything at the national level, but I can look for opportunities to take advantage of the situation. Mortgage rates are way down, there are investment funds that aren’t as good as they might have been but do better than the rest, stocks will be a good buy at a good at some point and at least consistent purchase of them in our 401(k) means that we’re buying at low prices. Some people are buying up foreclosures.

Obama will hurt us for a very long time, but the world isn’t coming to an end.

obladioblada on February 11, 2009 at 11:31 PM

If these 3 switch to the dark side it is our duty as conservatives to vote them out. Luckily for Voinivich he doesn’t have to worry about it since he’s not running for reelection. I can’t wait to see him go.

Erockk on February 12, 2009 at 4:31 AM

Damage control. Lets get on with preparations for 2010 and 2012.

johnnyU on February 12, 2009 at 8:33 AM

Do we kick these three out of the caucus, too?

YES!!!! If they vote for this kill America bill, YES!!!

Mark Garnett on February 12, 2009 at 9:19 AM