The Ed Morrissey Show: Melt the Phones III, Rep. Paul Ryan

posted at 1:00 pm on February 10, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Today, on the Ed Morrissey Show (3 pm ET), we’ll be going long and making more calls to Senators and Representatives in opposition to Porkulus, the Obama-Pelosi-Reid omnibus spending bill that passed cloture today. We will have another shot at stopping this behemoth when it comes out of conference, and we need to make sure that we let our elected representatives know exactly what we think of it. We’ll focus today on the health-care aspects of this bill, and how Arlen Specter never discovered that it imposes federal control over what treatments doctors can offer their patients.

Do you want your doctors penalized for trying to save your life? If not, be ready with your phone number and the phone number of your representative, and we’ll hear you tell them exactly what you think of this stinker of a pork bill!

In the second hour, we will broadcast live a teleconference with Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) on the stimulus package. Ryan sharply opposes the stimulus, and you can find out why first-hand.

Now you can join the conversation in the chat room! Be sure to register at Ustream to participate in our raucous live-chat sessions. (And if the log-in prompt doesn’t come up in the chat box below, use this link instead.) Jazz Shaw of The Moderate Voice moderates the chat, and he has his Troll Gun Trivia Contest running before the show, for those who get there early — and are registered!

Want to see all episodes of The Ed Morrissey Show? Add the RSS feed to your reader and keep them handy!

Christmas season is over but you can still get great deals delivered to your door. Check out Ed’s Bookshelf or search for what you want:

Opening animation from TG Studios.

Comments

Rep. Ryan is a good Congressman. Hopefully he’ll be one the party faces for many years.

BadgerHawk on February 10, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Hey, Ed, talk to Blue Dog Dem Walt Minnick (ID-1) about his START proposal! He culled the stimulus package down to below 200 billion.

Ace ODale on February 10, 2009 at 1:34 PM

I liked Ryan for a long time, and I still do. If I could afford an hour’s commute, I could have him representing me instead of my local dipstick.

However, he broke my heart. I emailed asking about this, and got no substantive response. Ed, please ask Rep. Ryan why not only did he vote for the bailout, but stated: “Doing nothing is the worst thing we could do!”

MadisonConservative on February 10, 2009 at 1:46 PM

The R’s need to work with Minnick.

And make it VERY publicly known.

artist on February 10, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Oh good; I don’t have to burn my minutes on the conference call :-)

steveegg on February 10, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Please ask Rep. Ryan about why we haven’t heard anything about the amending the bill to make all the construction projects competitive bid in the free market? Barak Obama’s Executive Order 13498 makes it so every project goes to a union shop.

There is around 18-19 billion in construction in the spending package.

Every aspect of this bill is an outright attempt to seal a large government-dependent voter base.

batterup on February 10, 2009 at 2:10 PM

If the republicans vote for this crap
If EVEN ONE VOTES YES

Then the republicans can FROEVER FORGET ABOUT
Being voted back into office again..

PERIOD

Becaue there is NO diffence between you and the liberals..

So IF EVEN ONE CONGRESSMAN VOTES YES

ITS OVER for the Republican party ALL of you
period..

I dont care about obama

this is BULLSHIT and EVERYONE knows it..

There is no way this bill will create even 100,000 jobs
SORRY SO if you want to loose your entire BASE..
Then by all means VOTE yes..

Because we arent BUYING the mac bull crap anymore..

period..

The next step is a new revolutionary war II

jcila on February 10, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Unreal! It’s like a bad dream. My mother voted for Obama a lifelong Democrat. I saw the light many years ago. She called me this morning in tears and said that having government decide whether she lives or die is wrong! They’re playing God! I sent the following email to Collins, Snowe and Specter, as well as my Georgian Senators and representative Tom Price. Luckily my reps all voted NO. I told my Mother to stop watching The View and CNN and watch The Tennis Channel. here is the email;

Now I am really angry! I understand that elections have consequences. I want to know NOW at what point this healthcare amendment was added to this Porkulus bill? My mother, a resident of Atlanta, has been crying all morning. She has been scared to death since finding out that some Government official. most likely a Democrat, will tell her Doctors whether she deserves treatment or not. So this is the way the democrats are going to solve the Social Security issues. Just kill the elderly quickly and quietly. This bill should not pass, our President lied to the American Public last night saying there is no pork in the bill and we need to pass it quickly. Now we know why, they are shoving socialism down our throats and I am yet to hear a republican scream on TV. We must get out here and scream! I want to hear something immediately! THIS BILL CANNOT PASS! I need something to stop my mother from crying! GOOD GOD WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO AMERICA?

Atlanta Media Guy on February 10, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Atlanta Media Guy

Call your Democrat Senator! If you don’t have one, call another state’s. I phoned Claire McCaskill’s Washington office and went off on the aide about this stealth healthcare initiative and didn’t let up! I was furious and worked myself into a good lather. I felt good! Try it! I know it won’t do any good, but it will make you feel better temporarily.

JAM on February 10, 2009 at 2:49 PM

ATL media guy, sorry your mom’s upset. But she voted for a Marxist. She voted for William Ayers’s protege.

What did she (and millions like her) expect?

My mom has 2 friends (married couple) who voted for Obama because the husband is a transplant recipient, and apparently McCain’s health care plan didn’t include gvmt payment for transplants.

unbelievable

funky chicken on February 10, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Claire McCaskill is a good one to call, actually

funky chicken on February 10, 2009 at 2:55 PM

I wish I could stream here at work, darn it.

ladyingray on February 10, 2009 at 3:20 PM

During Prompterbama’s Oprah Show in Fort Myers I receved a call from the NRCC for a donation to help battle the Democrats. I felt sorry for the guy because I did not let up. I told him any Republican origanization will not get another dime until I see some spine in our Republican Reps. I screamed about my mother crying etc.. God it made me feel good. I told him please let your boss know that I am not the only one outraged at the silence. I told him to get Michael Steele in front of cameras and start screaming.

Funky, Indeed my Mother had know idea what she was voting for. I tried to tell her, but she watches those dingbats on The View everyday. AARP got a very angry email from me and a call and still no response. I would love to know how that leftist operation will react. The AARP should be screaming.

Jam, I have Republican Senators here in Georgia, glad to day they both voted NO. I wonder if Republicans will be invited to the committee meeting about the bill? I think it should be LIVE on TV for everyone to see exactly what these guys are trying to sneak by their bosses, the American people.

Plus, as long as the dolt Geithner talks the Dow continues to fall. Please! Get this guy off the air! he is killing the markets with his baseless details. This guy has been front and center on this issue while he was incharge of NY Fed. I am terribly unimpressed with this guy!

Atlanta Media Guy on February 10, 2009 at 3:38 PM

I share your frustration regarding uninformed family memebers. Two weeks ago (I kid you not) my aunt said to me that she had heard that during the campaign Obama had removed the American flag from his plane and put up on “O” instead; she asked me if that was true.

Since my cousin (school-teacher bleeding heart, but I do love her like a sister) was sitting there, I simply said it was true.

If only I could get my aunt and cousin away from ABC, CNN and (heaven help me) MSNBC for their news, they might learn some truth!

ladyingray on February 10, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Melting the phone lines doesn’t seem to be working since the lines are busy and the voicemail boxes are full. Time to polish the pitchforks and take to the streets. A little protesting goes a long way with these morons. Sadly, we’ve left these tactics to the Lunatic Left because we’ve had to work. But I think it is time to take a vacation day and march on Washington.

BitterClinger on February 10, 2009 at 3:53 PM

For those catching TEMS on the replay and wondering where the other participants in the Rep. Ryan conference call blog, here’s a quick list:

Jo Egelhoff – Fox Politics
Kevin Binversie – Lakeshore Laments
Todd Lohenry – The Right Side of Wisconsin

I do wholeheartedly recommend all three of them.

steveegg on February 10, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Atlanta Media Guy

Call your Democrat Senator!

I tried that here in FL, but he (Nelson) and Mel the Mushroom’s inboxes were “full”, “thank you”, “good-bye”, “CLICK” and “DIALTONE”. Then I saw this Sunday morning and my head exploded.

So, Our Senator ~ Bill Nelson ~ Talks to Chris Wallace This Morning
…and admits his phones have been deluged with calls that are running 7 to 1 AGAINST the stimulus.

7. To. 1.