Heart-ache: Palin backs out of CPAC

posted at 2:47 pm on February 10, 2009 by Allahpundit

Rush will still be there, but it’s not really “grassroots Woodstock” anymore without her. Now, because of the letdown, it’s more like grassroots Altamont: Plenty of good acts and one great one to close the show, but an angry, angry crowd nonetheless.

The opening-day headliner for the annual CPAC conservative convention February 26-28, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, has pulled out, citing state business in Juneau. “We’re obviously disappointed,” said a CPAC official. A spokesman for the three-day confab, organized by the American Conservative Union Foundation and others, said that Palin, the popular former vice presidential nominee, had indicated she would be able to attend but cited “duties of governing” in bowing out. Instead, she will send in a taped message.

The Democrats up there have been grumbling about her being out of state so much. Maybe she figured she could either get away for the Alfalfa Dinner or CPAC but not both and had to make a hard choice. Exit question: Huckabee to replace her? The message, at least, will be similar. And he’s anti-stimulus!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

h!!! Whew! Rush is still on board… Pass the Oxy.

WestCoastLibtard on February 10, 2009 at 5:39 PM

I’d take Rush’s oxy addiction over Obama’s cocaine one any day of the week, especially considering that Rush is not an elected official who can fire nuclear weapons at will. One good coke buzz and we might be nuking our own country. Come to think of it, that is probably what will happen. Just like some of the college race riots, where they found out the original cross burnings were done by black students to stir things up.

catlady on February 10, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Sorry but she needs to be back in Alaska in case the volcano blows, can you imagine the blowback if she was at this thing when it goes.

KBird on February 10, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Blacksheep on February 10, 2009 at 4:43 PM

It has nothing to do with being mayor of the internet or dating Palin; she was the candidate for the Vice Presidency; she’s someones wife and mother. Have a little respect for the office, and for the candidate; if not, post your p*rno bullsh*t fantasies somewhere else.
I don’t care if you ‘hit’ your neighbor, your personal trainer, or the neighbors collie; Nobody needs to hear it here.

austinnelly on February 10, 2009 at 5:46 PM

KBird on February 10, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Are you sucking the sulfer fumes off Redoubt? If and when it blows it ain’t the end of the world…. good greif!

upinak on February 10, 2009 at 5:48 PM

BTW I am referring to the Cornell student union take over, where the black radicals burnt crosses in front of black dorms, but accused whites of doing this in order to provide an excuse for their violence. Reference Cornell ’69 : Liberalism and the crisis of the American University, by D.A. Downs, page 172

catlady on February 10, 2009 at 5:49 PM

upinak on February 10, 2009 at 5:48 PM

True. But KBird’s got a point that if she isn’t there, the media will have a field day over it. It’ll make what they did with Bush after Katrina look like they were paying homage to him.

Esthier on February 10, 2009 at 5:50 PM

I’d like to know when the One is going to offer some relief to Kentucky. With all due respect to upinak, those poor bastards are really having a rough time, with little or no mention of their plight

catlady on February 10, 2009 at 5:52 PM

WestCoastLibtard on February 10, 2009 at 5:39 PM

“What’s in a name? That which we call a rose Jerk
By any other name would smell as sweet Foul.”
Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

portlandon on February 10, 2009 at 5:52 PM

catlady on February 10, 2009 at 5:52 PM

O k I am going to admit ignorance.. I also haven’t had the time to watch the news. What is going on in KY?

upinak on February 10, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Can’t imagine what Noneya did that went any further than her claim that blacks can’t be Republicans

Esthier on February 10, 2009 at 3:58 PM

In an earlier thread about Palin and Limbaugh appearing at CPAC, Noneya suggested bombing the venue to kill them.

Jim62sch on February 10, 2009 at 5:54 PM

If and when it blows it ain’t the end of the world…. good greif!

upinak on February 10, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Perception is reality in this day & age. If she was at CPAC when that blew, MSNBC would have a split screen feed showing Palin talking,laughing and the other screen with a Volcano going off and TV Anchors describing the “Carnage of Pompeii II”. Just saying.

portlandon on February 10, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Jim62sch on February 10, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Seriously? Wow. I believe she meant it too.

Esthier on February 10, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Got hit hard by severe storm hundreds of thousands no power for weeks and weeks, that kind of stuff. I know that this doesnt sound like any big deal to you up there, but give these guys a break. They just aren’t used to dealing with the severity of the problem they got. Global Warming at it’s best, don’t you know.

catlady on February 10, 2009 at 6:03 PM

catlady on February 10, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Why is it taking so long to get them back up? Or was it the fact no one was prepared for something like this across the State? That is pretty bad and no good at all. No one should have to live like that unless they choose too.

upinak on February 10, 2009 at 6:05 PM

I’m surprised her liberal enemies never pick up on their own contradictions. They simultaneously say that a) she’s an incompetent ditz, and b) she’s so critical to the Alaska government that she can’t go somewhere for a couple of days without the state regressing to the Bronze Age or something.

Talk about dishonest. The sheep don’t stop to think about the contradiction, though.

Jim62sch on February 10, 2009 at 6:05 PM

What is going on in KY?

upinak on February 10, 2009 at 5:53 PM

There was an ice storm two weeks ago. Almost a million people were without power. About 25,000 still are. The media appears not to care too much.

Snowed In on February 10, 2009 at 6:07 PM

catlady on February 10, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Yeah, what she said.

Snowed In on February 10, 2009 at 6:08 PM

Yeah, I personally think that state services must not be up to snuff, but that is pure opinion. You can never know how your state will be able to respond until something like this happens. I am down here in Texas, and have to say we did ok with Hurricane Ike but it was horrible with Rita (again, my opinion). Also, if we got hit with ANY snow, kiss the entire state good by (with the exception of the panhandle, they can take it). No one here really truly knows what to do with ice, snow anything! It is amazing to me, especially with my family from Minnesota

catlady on February 10, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Well trust me, the people who move up don’t know what to do with it up here either.

Could you imagine being on the side of the road because of an accident (lets say Glenn Highway) and having to stand in -10 with a 15 mph wind. It ain’t pretty to watch, but I love looking at the Obama bumper stickers on their cars. My favorite to see was a Prius on the side covered in democratic and obama stickers…. no one stopped. Beta boy was calling a tow truck.

upinak on February 10, 2009 at 6:17 PM

upinak on February 10, 2009 at 6:17 PM

lol, oh the visual on that is too good!! Anyway, no support from Obama, no “our prayers are with you” just … move along nothing here to see, folks. That is what chaps me. I mean come on, you are POTUS over all fifty I mean fifty six states, pay attention here! Kentucky deserves some respect, dammit!

catlady on February 10, 2009 at 6:20 PM

catlady on February 10, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Obama’s poll numbers are very bad in Kentucky. Why would he jump to help them? Now New York or San Francisco? 24 hour TV coverage, Obama would be out doing the meet & greets. He can “feel their pain”.

portlandon on February 10, 2009 at 6:27 PM

That’s right, every “photo op” – gotta use it!

catlady on February 10, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Palin and Huck are similar?

Yeah, sure.

He’s a panty-waist.

molonlabe28 on February 10, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Sigh. I didn’t say she was. All I was saying is that Huckabee is anti-stimulus, which makes him suitable to speak. Yet another case of Palinites looking to be offended.

Allahpundit on February 10, 2009 at 3:16 PM

No, it’s a case of you being imprecise with your language.

L.N. Smithee on February 10, 2009 at 6:36 PM

I actually think it’s cool she’s attending to state business first. She’s a governor and she may want to win re-election in her state first. I’ll give Palin one thing, she pretty much does what she wants to in regards to the GOP. She’s not always consistent (isn’t this the second thing she backed out of) but she is willing to say f*ck off to the GOP….that should enhearten some people actually. As for Rush, I worry about the man’s health. The recent pics of him suggest he is becoming morbidly obese and it’s just not cute.

DeathToMediaHacks on February 10, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Snowed In on February 10, 2009 at 6:07 PM

This happened while Obama was the President…therefore it did not happen.

right2bright on February 10, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Jim62sch on February 10, 2009 at 5:54 PM

No more noneya? That’s too bad, I always felt like she(apparently) was like my crazy relative who’d had a few and kind of embarrassed you, but was scrappy in a row. Maybe she had too many….

DeathToMediaHacks on February 10, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Allahpundit on February 10, 2009 at 3:16 PM

No, it’s a case of you being imprecise with your language.

L.N. Smithee on February 10, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Actually it’s a case of others reading into what AP is saying. I see it done here and elsewhere all the time. It’s an old tactic of starting an argument and putting the person making a statement on the defensive.

I’m a fan of Palin and not one of Huckabee but stating that he is anti-stimulus does not magically mean that she is for it–except in the minds of sloppy communicators or those looking for a pretext to start an argument. We have a lot of the latter here, which makes it fun to come here. Sometimes.

baldilocks on February 10, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Also, like most GOP governors she kind of IS for it. And is expecting her state to get some money for it.

DeathToMediaHacks on February 10, 2009 at 7:04 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on February 10, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Actually, she didn’t “back out” because she never accepted in the first place. Allah’s Palin headline is designed to be misleading as usual.

Jim62sch on February 10, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Jim62sch on February 10, 2009 at 5:54 PM

And here it is. Looks like AP was looking for a reason and Ms. Genius was careless enough to provide him with one. Sic Semper Slavemasters/Trolls/Real Racists.

baldilocks on February 10, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Yeah. While you were out hunting, she went over the line and got kicked off. Vernon got kicked last night for terrible statements about the late Tony Snow. It’s almost as though the libs have won the White house but yet are still unhinged. Why is that?

portlandon on February 10, 2009 at 3:46 PM

You just made my day!

I’ve never called for someone to be banned. I always figured that it’s easier to ignore them then ban them. Vernon, however, was especially annoying. I’ve never seen someone that added less to the discussion at hand than he did.

I’m going to go home and have a celebratory Mountain Dew now!

JadeNYU on February 10, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Hmmm.

More evidence that she might not be itching to run in 2012? I few hours ago I heard Mitt Romney on radio and I’ve seen him television. Palin seems to avoiding the media. That doesn’t sound like someone all too eager to run in 2012. Just a thought.

terryannonline on February 10, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Well her husband in in the Iron Dog challenge right now.

Everything is up in the air until he finishes probably.

upinak on February 10, 2009 at 7:37 PM

I personally think Palin is sick to death of the attention and just wants to concentrate on being govenor… I love her and think she is great but I don’t think she will run for president… If she does I will support her… I’ve also donated to her PAC …

CCRWM on February 10, 2009 at 8:12 PM

terryannonline on February 10, 2009 at 7:31 PM

unlike Romney and the rest of them, Palin has the support of the base in her hands.

Romney has work to do

joey24007 on February 10, 2009 at 8:15 PM

terryannonline on February 10, 2009 at 7:31 PM

actually this seems to point in the direction that she is running for re-election of Governor in 2010

joey24007 on February 10, 2009 at 8:18 PM

how does one back out of something, when they never accepted?

joey24007 on February 10, 2009 at 8:20 PM

What you may hear Huck say at CPAC? God hates the stimulus….for real.

DeathToMediaHacks on February 10, 2009 at 8:50 PM

baldilocks on February 10, 2009 at 7:01 PM

I hate to argue with you because I agree with you so often, but I am correct nonetheless, and here’s why. The conclusion of AP’s post verbatim:

He began the final sentence with a preposition (“and”), indicating that his statement Huck is anti-stimulus was meant to amend his previous statement that Huck’s message was “similar” to Palin’s. But “similar” doesn’t mean “identical,” so what is the purpose of stating that Huck is against the $850 million dollar footlong crap sandwich other than to contrast him with Palin?

AP needs to be more clear before he complains.

L.N. Smithee on February 10, 2009 at 9:04 PM

I’m sorry…I said $850 million footlong crap sandwich. I meant $850 BILLION footlong crap sandwich.

L.N. Smithee regrets the error.

L.N. Smithee on February 10, 2009 at 9:08 PM

L.N. Smithee on February 10, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Clarity would make it more difficult to weasel out of a difficult position later.

aikidoka on February 10, 2009 at 9:18 PM

I don’t blame her for staying home. Up here in AK, we have some issues, the least of which is Redoubt. And due to the media vitriol for her, the state’s AG resigned today

ConservativePartyNow on February 10, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Well her husband in in the Iron Dog challenge right now.
Everything is up in the air until he finishes probably.
upinak on February 10, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Well at least someone here understands sarah’s true priorities.

“State business in Juneau”… you’re killing me! :D

benny shakar on February 10, 2009 at 10:21 PM

If I were a state governor with national political aspirations, having seen what the media did to George Bush over Katrina, and, my state was facing a potential natural disaster like, say, a volcano erupting, I wouldn’t be flying thousands of miles away for a political function. That might be tempting fate just a bit too much. You betcha.

trigon on February 10, 2009 at 10:46 PM

And he’s anti-stimulus!

Way to twist the knife, AP.

That zing left teeth marks.

Hawkins1701 on February 10, 2009 at 11:19 PM

Well at least someone here understands sarah’s true priorities.

“State business in Juneau”… you’re killing me! :D

benny shakar on February 10, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Usually I wouldn’t engage in conversation with the likes of you, Benny. I prefer to have a battle of wits with someone that isn’t unarmed. But what is wrong with her priorities here? Staying in AK to 1. support her husband, 2. while the legislature is in session, 3. to deal with a potential eruption of a volcano. I’d say her priorities are right where they should be. Her family and her job rate higher than going to speak before other like minded people at a convention.

Crawl back under your rock!

rmel80 on February 10, 2009 at 11:53 PM