Open thread: Cloture vote on stimulus coming soon; Update: Cloture, 61-36

posted at 4:50 pm on February 9, 2009 by Allahpundit

The final floor speeches are airing on CSPAN2 as we speak. Teddy’s in town and ready to rock; The One’s dusting off his old knocks on McCain for the occasion. Zero hour is 5:30 p.m. If the vote’s any more or less than 61-38, it’ll be a stimulus-sized shock.

While we wait, here’s a snippet from Obama’s town hall in Elkhart today. Three weeks after the apotheosis at the Capitol, this is what’s become of Hopenchange. Read MKH’s report from one of the cult’s house parties over the weekend, too. Exit quotation: “We’re supposed to be the ones convincing other people. We can’t do it if we can’t explain it.”

Update: 61-36 (I forgot that Judd Gregg chose to abstain). The first bite of the crap sandwich is taken. Tomorrow they’ll take another by formally passing it at noon, then it’s on to conference committee to chew it up good.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Wethal on February 9, 2009 at 6:43 PM

So we can expect two withdrawals in rapid succession, in other words, right?

Ryan Gandy on February 9, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Is it considered “Gang rape” or “Gangs rape” when it involves more than one group?

Laura in Maryland on February 9, 2009 at 6:47 PM

What a sad day it is for this country.

angryed on February 9, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Well, at least it’s easy to emigrate to Australia..

TexasJew on February 9, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Wethal on February 9, 2009 at 6:43 PM

So we can expect two withdrawals in rapid succession, in other words, right?

Ryan Gandy on February 9, 2009 at 6:45 PM

If we were very lucky, yes. Voinovich was supposedly talking to them for a while, but then backed out. That’s when they had to haul Teddy up from FL. Without him, it would have been just 60 with the Three.

Wethal on February 9, 2009 at 6:53 PM

His balls aren’t that impressive…the stupidity of his acolytes in IN, OH, and PA on the other hand…truly breathtaking.

funky chicken on February 9, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Whoa Nellie! I’m from Indiana and please don’t paint us all with the same brushstroke. I can’t imagine Elkhart, Indiana invited The Big O. The Big O went to them because of their high unemployment rate. They had massive layoffs when the gas prices went sky-high. Those layoffs were all said and done BEFORE the bottom dropped out of the market in October 2008. But of course no one is going to buy an RV at this time. I didn’t watch it, but I wonder if anyone asked him about the sky-high fuel prices of last summer and how he might assure them that THAT won’t happen again?

Oink on February 9, 2009 at 6:54 PM

Well, at least it’s easy to emigrate to Australia..

TexasJew on February 9, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Really? Last I heard it was difficult. Have to have job before being allowed residency.

Since half the country just went up in flames, probably going to be more difficult.

Could be wrong. Not the first time.

Right about this, though -

LIberty is dead!

klickink.wordpress.com on February 9, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Higher gas prices are most assured. Of course Obama won’t drill even if the price of oil climbs to $200 per barrel. Old Hugo has screwed himself because he cannot or will not pay the people who are drilling his oil. Russia is in a prime position to be in the catbird seat.

izoneguy on February 9, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Ugh – watched McConnell’s statement afterwards, and when asked about Specter’s political future, Mitch says “I’m confident he (Specter) will be re-elected with our support.”

Thank you, sir, may I have another?????

Jim62sch on February 9, 2009 at 6:58 PM

He’d say that was just evidence of our need to develop “alternative fuels”. Keeping gas prices high does work to their advantage on this, except then people start blaming the president for the high prices.

Wethal on February 9, 2009 at 7:00 PM

“I’m confident he (Specter) will be re-elected with our support.”

These people are detached.

artist on February 9, 2009 at 7:00 PM

O / T

Will Ogabe’s press conference screw with “Jack’s” airing tonight?

Branch Rickey on February 9, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Porked!

profitsbeard on February 9, 2009 at 7:01 PM

“I’m confident he (Specter) will be re-elected with our support.”

These people are detached.

artist on February 9, 2009 at 7:00 PM

He can’t say any much else in public. Maybe he hopes he can talk Arlen off the ledge if the conference bill is too big. Small chance. Regrettably, RINOs and mavericks have to be coddled sometimes to keep them from sticking it to you even more.

Wethal on February 9, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Mark Levin said something to the effect that we are losing our country of freedom and opportunity, but worse, our children will not know what they are missing.

That shot a dagger through my heart.

ladyingray on February 9, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Re: TARP…here’s the bad news that they’ve been saving until they get there pork bill through.

The real estimate of debt “impairment” is roughly 3 trillion, or many times the 700 billion.

Current debt: 10.7 T (up from 9.2 T on Jan 1 2008). Add 350B and that is 11 T. That’s our starting point for the spending for the next couple of years…and we alread know the 900B Pork bill.

The remaining 3T of impairment will be from government and private sources…one way or another we will be a poorer nation.

So, we will be in a cost containment mode for healthcare (ie, don’t expect too much healthcare). The real fights are going to be between the public employees, the sick and the people who still want a free house (a la Barney Frank)

r keller on February 9, 2009 at 7:05 PM

I would have hosted one of those stupid parties at my house if knew that MKH might show up. She didn’t reveal the most important bit of info. What flavor of Kool-Aid did they serve?

Mark1971 on February 9, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Sorry, that should read “The remaining 2.3T of impairment….”

r keller on February 9, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Oink on February 9, 2009 at 6:54 PM

Oink, he’s going to talk about all his pie in the sky “alternative fuel plans” (that won’t work). He’ll get everyone all misty eyed about that. He’ll blame Bush for not acting sooner and since his plan is going to take a while (he’s already admitted that) and since the current crises is all “Booooooshhh”‘s fault, he’ll be able to vote “present”; not do anything and look good not doing it.

Realize tat when this cr@p stimulus fails, he will just say Bush messed up worse than anyone thought so he’ll need more power and money ceded to him.

The grab has just begun

Duncan Khuver on February 9, 2009 at 7:07 PM

That shot a dagger through my heart.

ladyingray on February 9, 2009 at 7:03 PM

To somr extent, I think we started losing it in the 1960s. Think of the growth of the “federal grant.” Need a new firetruck? Rec center? Arts program? More police officers? New bridge?

Don’t raise taxes or consider if you can do with less. Call your Rep or Sentator and ask him to get you a “federal grant.” I’ve even seen ads on the web and an infomercial or two about “free federal grants” to individuals.

One generation at least has grown up with this thinking.

Wethal on February 9, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Arlen Specter must go Whatever it takes, I’m willing to do it to make sure this guy is no longer my senator. Rumors about Toomey running are nice to hear but I heard from one of his folks this afternoon and he doesn’t plan on running. Maybe with a strong showing of support he may change his mind.

DefeatSpecter.org is a site I tossed up this past weekend, it’s just me, a single person trying to enlist support to ensure that Specter ends up retired by Jan 2011.

I’m done bitching, I’m now ready to DO.

crashland on February 9, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Strength is irrelevant. Resistance is futile. We wish to improve ourselves. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service ours.
~The Borg

ladyingray on February 9, 2009 at 7:15 PM

McConnell admitted that the phone calls coming in to Washington were “hundreds to one” against this abomination.

My Blue Dog Democrat Senator and Representative are dead to me.

Jim62sch on February 9, 2009 at 7:22 PM

When (not if) this “stimulus” bill passes tomorrow, I may just have to take my 8′ x 5′ flag and hang it upside down as a symbol of both distress (as doing such is a sign of) and as an act of protest. If I do this, it would not be intended to be disrespectful but as a genuie expression and display of my concern and worry over the direction my country is going.

Or is it even my country any more? Economically this country has long since been against how the Founding Fathers intended it I believe. The massive debt, the sheer scope of things this govt spends tax dollars on and the lack of a gold/silver standard would probably make them all pick up a musket and start shooting some Congressmen just for starters. What’s next, the “Fairness” Doctrine to crush Free Speech and when I wonder is the first big push against law abiding gun owners?

Seriously, is this even the U.S.A. anymore? I have my doubts and just the fact that those doubts are even hinted at in my mind as I evaluate the situation this nation is in is very depressing.

This American wants his country back.

Yakko77 on February 9, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Thomas Jefferson said it himself, “A little revolution now and then is a good thing.”

Sooner or later our politicians are going to bear witness to this lesson……for our country’s sake let’s hope it’s sooner rather than later. It’s time they realize they work for us.

niuhuskie2009 on February 9, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Instead of going after the Republicans, maybe we should focus on Democrats in Red or Purple states. If we could turn just 2 Democrats, that could stop this thing. Anyone from VA? Help me with Webb and Warner.

huckleberryfriend on February 9, 2009 at 7:25 PM

klickink.wordpress.com on February 9, 2009 at 6:56 PM

With 30 trillion in unfunded Social Security/
Medicare, public pension funds, etc.,and this 9.4 trillion dolllar money-printing fiasco, as well as an increasingly idiotic electorate and a passel of traitors running our nation, our currency will ultimately face a disaster. Then our 401K’s, retirement pensions, medical services and inexpensive commodities, such as oil and gas, will go away.
For good.
Just when this occurs is not as important as is its inevitabilty. And there is no way in hell that we will now be able to avoid it. Notice that not even a single Democrat will attempt to answer the critical question: “how the hell will we be able to pay for all this”?
The answer is not that our children will have to pay for this, these leftwing clowns seem to not care if we default or not. It’s like a mental breakdown in a casino, where the losing gambler just lays out the remainder of his money and letsit all roll instead of gathering up his chips and take the pain by cashing out. They seem to be banking on defaulting on the debt (or start to print tens of trillions of dollars and drive us into hyperinflation) and then expect that the Chinese and our other debtors just quietly take these trillions in losses and go away. That is the same type of thinking that all the broke scumbags who took out those loans expected – that they could just walk away and continue to enjoy their moronic lifestyles somewhere else.
What is scary is being old enough to remember when our nation would have never allowed the corrupt socialists in Congress and the White House and their benefactors, buddies and hangers-on access to such wealth and power.

TexasJew on February 9, 2009 at 7:25 PM

klickink.wordpress.com on February 9, 2009 at 6:56 PM

With 30 trillion in unfunded Social Security/Medicare, etc.,and this 9.4 trillion dolllar money-printing fiasco, as well as an increasingly idiotic electorate and a passel of traitors running our nation, our currency will ultimately face a disaster. The, the 401K’s, retirement pensions, medical services and inexpensive commodities, such as oil and gas, will go away. Forever.

The answer is not that our children will have to pay for this, these leftwing clowns seem to not care if we default por not. It’s like a mental breakdown in a casino, where the losing gambler just lays out the remainder of his money and lets it all roll instead of gathering up his chips and take the pain by cashing out. They seem to be banking on defaulting on the debt (or printing tens of trillions of dollars, driving us all into hyperinflation) and expecting that the Chinese and our other debtors just take these trillions in losses and quietly go away. That is the same type of thinking that all the broke scumbags who took out those loans expected – that they could just walk away and continue to enjoy their moronic lifestyles.
What is scary is being old enough to remember when our nation would have never allowed the corrupt socialists in Congress and the White House and their benefactors access to such wealth and power.

TexasJew on February 9, 2009 at 7:29 PM

My Blue Dog Democrat Senator and Representative are dead to me.

Jim62sch on February 9, 2009 at 7:22 PM

THESE are the guys and gals we need to target. Dems are hoping we get distracted by going after Specter. There are far too many Democrat Senators from red states that we need to go after. If we can flip 3 or 4 of those seats we don’t need to worry about Specter anymore.

rockmom on February 9, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Has any nation ever survived a national debt that exceeded its GDP? I think we will cross that Rubicon in the next 12-14 months.

rockmom on February 9, 2009 at 7:31 PM

It doesn’t matter who is elected in 2010 or 2012.

There will be no major rollbacks.

There will be no departments that are closed down.

Universal Health care will be the new 3rd rail.

All of this is permanent.

artist on February 9, 2009 at 7:37 PM

funky chicken:

I live in Indiana and two thirds of the people I know voted Republican. In fact if the libertarians had not voted for Barr, McCain would have won this state. At least Indiana has a real shot at voting Republican next time around. I am not so sure the same could be said for a lot of other places.

Terrye on February 9, 2009 at 7:42 PM

rockmom on February 9, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Well, Zimbabwe, for one.
Here is one of their new 100 trillion dollar bills:

Well, at least it’s not one of those 100 quintillion Hungarian pengo bills from 1946, but the year is still young!

TexasJew on February 9, 2009 at 7:43 PM

oops – let’s see if this link will work:

TexasJew on February 9, 2009 at 7:45 PM

I find no joy in saying this but this country is heading for a real Revolution.It will be very bad time for a lot of good people.I see no other way for this country to return to a const.form of gov.Lets face it except for a few in the congress most of the Sentors & Reps. do not care what the people want or say.They care only about power and money for themselfs.We now have a Pres that thinks of himself as King and a news media so druling with blind adorment for him they could not find the truth and yes i include Fox News in this mix also.Just like the fools in Ind. today who have lost most of there jobs because of wacko Gov. rules on the auto & truck comp..They were just cheering away for Obama.Its like the Christins cheering for the romans before being thrown to the lions.A final tidbit in this bill there is a new law about health care that basicly says if you are over a certin age and get sick to bad you need to just go die because we need most of the funds for younger people. God Heip Us!!!

thmcbb on February 9, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Brace yourselves. We’re not done yet. As soon as they pass this crap sandwich, they’re going to start working on the banking and housing package. The dollars being thrown out are at least another $350B!

Where do you go to get your Country back! I’m so furious about this I could scream. If I didn’t have a job, and the way things are going, it may not be long that I do, I’d be on the steps of the Capital everyday screaming at this jackasses.

SoldiersMom on February 9, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Support State’s Rights - all I can recommend to survive the socialist onslaught.

DerKrieger on February 9, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Sock puppet keeps saying that Bush’s policies of the last 8 years were what got us into this mess and clearly they don’t work.

What this shithead keeps ‘forgetting’ to mention is that Bush laid down for the democraps and passed every single bill they shoved his way. Just because this crap came from Bush’s terms doesn’t make it conservative….now the sock puppet wants more of the same while calling it something different.

Ok, so we tasted socialism and went for the main course of communism now. Great.

4 years can’t pass fast enough.

Spiritk9 on February 9, 2009 at 8:21 PM

You people are absolutely hilarious!

All this whining about President Obama is like complaining that the fire department got your furniture wet after your juvenile delinquent son set your house on fire.

benny shakar on February 9, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Well, at least it’s easy to emigrate to Australia..

TexasJew on February 9, 2009 at 6:51 PM

You may not want to come her now TexasJew. Our left leaning government is trying to get its big pork fest through at the moment.
Obama’s bill is 5% of GDP, ours is 6% so who is worst

wakey74 on February 9, 2009 at 8:24 PM

ey74 on February 9, 2009 at 8:24 PM
But you’re not already in a trillion dollar hock to the Chinese and are ready to spend 7 trillion more on bank bailouts without a clue as to where the money would be coming from.
Adding it all up, along with our unfunded Social Security and other pension and entitlement debt, we are totally and inutterably broke.
And– if you all had a 10-15 billion barrel oilfield like ANWR on your doorstep (and on public land) as well as the greatest coal reserves in the world, you all wouldn’t walk away from it and then spend 20 billion dollars to pay off political benefactors on useless wind turbines.
Only the spazzes who reside here could ever be that stupid.

TexasJew on February 9, 2009 at 8:33 PM

My last note to Mr. Specter reads:

Mr. Specter, I’ve written now for the third time to express my wish for you to vote against the so called stimulus bill. I promised to use my Internet skills to see you defeated in the next election and I’ve begun to do just that. It’s just getting started but I’m committed to seeing you leave the senate. Keep an eye on defeatspecter.org. I am using this as a grassroots organizing tool to support whomever decides to run against you in the next primary.

Voting in favor of this stimulus, a bill that I bet you have not even read, is the last straw. I’m not alone. You have crossed the Rubicon Mr. Specter. I’ve nominated you for the Club for Growth’s comrade of the month. If nothing else, change your party affiliation and become a Democrat or an independent. You are not a Republican if you disagree with darn near everything the party stands for. I will be working hard to ensure that you enter retirement come January 2011.

crashland on February 9, 2009 at 8:35 PM

benny shakar on February 9, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Just who are you parasites and obama suckasses going to tax when all the money goes away?

TexasJew on February 9, 2009 at 8:40 PM

When do we get the list of traitors who supported this crap?

csdeven on February 9, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Revolution?!

That’s what the last HopeyChangey election was about! The revolution is over as far as the useful idiot sheeple are concerned.

csdeven on February 9, 2009 at 8:59 PM

61-36

61 traitors, who should all be tried and hung.

JDPerren on February 9, 2009 at 9:00 PM

The Revolution is over.
I am the revolution.
Napoleon Bonaparte.

Chaz706 on February 9, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Will Ogabe’s press conference screw with “Jack’s” airing tonight?

Branch Rickey on February 9, 2009 at 7:01 PM

There is no Red Eye because of the infomercial… Damn the bastard!

Ampersand on February 9, 2009 at 9:26 PM

61 traitors, who should all be tried and hung.

Someone has to clean up your mess. It’s nice to have an adult in charge for a change.

Vernon Hardapple on February 9, 2009 at 9:41 PM

Buck Ofama. Buck ‘em all.

Jaibones on February 9, 2009 at 9:55 PM

61 traitors 36 obstructionists and their handlers, who should all be tried and hung jailed.

JDPerren on February 9, 2009 at 9:00 PM

That is, 36 people who couldn’t come up with a citizen-friendly alternative. 36 people who would put our nation up for sale. 36 people whom may need to re-read the “enemies foreign and domestic” part of their oath.

Some of those 36 (such as those in Sellout Carolina) may be beholden to certain foreign interests. They provide excuses such as “We can’t find the citizens we are looking to find”(or saying that the situation with post-grad reflects the whole of the situation) or “we need to find the most qualified”(when providing a situation no citizen could meet).

sethstorm on February 10, 2009 at 10:30 AM