Muslim study group surprised to find Alabamans don’t hate Muslims

posted at 7:17 pm on February 9, 2009 by Allahpundit

An academic version of NBC’s NASCAR stunt from a few years ago. They went looking for prejudice — and darned if they didn’t find it.

Hailey Woldt put on the traditional black abaya, expecting the worst…

“I expected people to say, ‘What is this terrorist doing here? We don’t want your kind here,’ ” said Woldt, a 22-year-old blue-eyed Catholic, recalling her anticipation before stepping into a local barbecue joint. “I thought I wouldn’t even be served.”

Instead, Woldt’s experiment in social anthropology opened her own eyes. Apart from the initial glances reserved for any outsider who might venture through a small-town restaurant’s doors, her experience was a pleasant one.

On her way to the bathroom, Woldt said, “One woman’s jaw dropped, but then she smiled at me. … That little smile just makes you feel so much better.”

A native Alabaman comments in the Headlines thread that he’d feel safer in Birmingham in a turban than in San Francisco in a Bush/Cheney t-shirt.

Comments

I remember here (Omaha) in the days following 9/11–women wearing scarves (“bodyguards”) to accompany Muslim women in their neighborhoods to the sores and such.

And the attempts to keep “Middle Eastern” restaurants afloat.

But I’d really like for the professor to take his crew back to his campus with the woman dressed as Sarah Palin, and the men desk as Texans.

lsheldon on February 9, 2009 at 10:20 PM

That says it all.

ddrintn on February 9, 2009 at 10:49 PM

The abuse heaped on Southerners has always amazed me.

Cody1991 on February 9, 2009 at 8:00 PM

It’s the last allowable hatred.

ddrintn on February 9, 2009 at 10:54 PM

It’s the last allowable hatred.

ddrintn on February 9, 2009 at 10:54 PM

When I left NYC I never went back, not even for a visit. I told friends if they wanted to see me they would have to get up off their duffs and travel south of the Mason-Dixon. They did, and they had a ball.

As far as San Fran or other large cities, forget it. The weather is great here, too. Why bother with the freaks and snobs when we have such a great life here? ;))

Cody1991 on February 9, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Having grown up in NYC and working in the MSM I can attest to the sneering superiority of the Northeast liberal. For myself, I will say that I received a very good education in a NYC Catholic school as well as in a NYC public high school. In both places I was taught about the great writing tradition of the South. Starting with Mark Twain, I was then required to read Faulkner, then Williams. I took an interest in Capote’s work. Some of my teachers made a point to talk about the great American art forms that were born in the South. My interest in music exposed me to jazz, blues, bluegrass and rock & roll; all of which were born in the South. So I haven’t acquired the notion that Southerners are anything other than talented and productive fellow Americans. I wish my neighbors and coworkers would do the same.

muggedbyreality on February 9, 2009 at 11:53 PM

I’m an Alabama girl, born and raised. I’m far more intelligent, tolerant, compassionate and understanding than any lib could ever hope to be.

beachgirlusa on February 9, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Cody1991 on February 9, 2009 at 8:00 PM

I live in upstate NY. I’ve never heard one joke about Southerners from anyone I know – not one in my 57 years. I lived in Georgia (which I loved) for 2 years and the condescension against Yankees was never-ending.

Connie on February 10, 2009 at 12:10 AM

By the way, lack of reaction does not denote lack of distrust.

Connie on February 10, 2009 at 12:27 AM

What a joke for this video. If they want something eye opening, they should have the blonde, blue eyed Catholic walk the streets of Iran or Saudi Arabia WITHOUT the hijab.

People view Southerners through a strange prism and they have since the Civil War. We have a chip on our shoulder as a result of the complex of being looked down on for so long. The North always looks down on us with stunts like this.

It doesn’t matter. Watch Andy Griffith and imagine Goober being a pedophile or a crook. That’s what it’s like in the South. We really just like everybody but like to be left alone to do our own thing.

ThackerAgency on February 10, 2009 at 12:28 AM

meaning it’s like Andy Griffith in the South. Goober wasn’t a pedophile or crook. . . everybody just knows and gets along and wants to help everyone.

ThackerAgency on February 10, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Connie on February 10, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Because we understand how yankee liberals have effed up not just their own states but the country and don’t even get me started on LA, San Fran and Seattle. Us country folk from around the country get along just fine its them damn city dwelling liberal know-it-alls that get under our skin and the New York DC beltway lead the way. It ain’t yankees in general, half my family is in Michigan, its the elitist attitude of the beltway snobs.

goat on February 10, 2009 at 12:32 AM

New York has bagels while the south has BBQ. New York has high crime while the south has concealed carry and low crime. New York has little industry while the south has agriculture, Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Mercedes and needle free beaches with water warm enough to swim in. I see only one, maybe two, redeeming features about the north east, great fall color in the trees and lobster.

goat on February 10, 2009 at 12:49 AM

Oh and BTW the SEC rules!

goat on February 10, 2009 at 12:51 AM

I’m sure we’ll see this on the Today show or Good Morning America.

Cue crickets.

drunkenmaster on February 10, 2009 at 6:21 AM

We have plenty of Muslim families in our neighborhood here in Houston, most of them appear to be Pakistani. What I do know about them is that they give every appearance of hating us. The neighbors directly across the street from us will not respond to a wave, smile or greeting. If we run into them walking on the street and greet them, they pretend that they don’t see us. I guess we’re not quite non-existent to them because we sometimes rate a scowl.

I wonder how our experience corresponds with these “researchers’” pre-conceived notions.

obladioblada on February 9, 2009 at 10:06 PM

I’ll second that note. Muslim families almost monolithically refuse to be friendly or talk to us in line at the grocery stores. They are fearful of Dad seeing them talking to white OR black OR Hispanic Americans without his permission. So many obviously very fair skinned ladies have donned the hijab here, although only a few are in totally black hijabs. They never make eye contact. And they obviously speak English with native American accents, but theyhave rejected native American courtesy.

I resent being treated as if I am the Great Satan in my own home town. I also resent being treated as if I am the prejudiced one in a place where all races are treated fairly in public. How we feel in private is our own business and no one else’s. It is our behavior that matters, not our thoughts or our speech. If you are treated poorly in Texas, it is far likely to be because an immigrant treated you as they normally treat folks in their country, than how an American treats you in this country.

Liberals suck. (That’s a private thought I’ll let slip out, by the way.) If they want to see prejudice, they can look in the mirror. Then leave the South, and don’t let the doorknob hit you where the Good Lord split you.

Subsunk

Subsunk on February 10, 2009 at 6:46 AM

Libs are the brightest among us, they keep saying, but they are so stinking lazy they can’t get past stereotypes

billypaintbrush on February 10, 2009 at 7:18 AM

What a waste of time. The woman doesn’t even fit the profile, so I’m not surprised they didn’t encounter any “problems”.

Take 2 or 3 Arab guys down there who aren’t white like Jesus, and yeah, they would encounter “problems”.

Next.

Dave Rywall on February 10, 2009 at 7:53 AM

Let the taqiyya begin.

Disturb the Universe on February 10, 2009 at 7:57 AM

beachgirlusa on February 9, 2009 at 11:58 PM

There is a great deal of irony in what you’ve said. I’d ask that you read this article, which will explain the ironic elements. Thanks.

The corresponding and diabolically crafted corrective idea is political correctness. The strong suggestion here is that in order for one not to be thought of as racist or fascist, then one must not only be nonjudgmental but must also embrace the ‘new’ moral absolutes: diversity, choice, sensitivity, sexual orientation, and tolerance. Political correctness is a Machiavellian psychological ‘command and control’ device. Its purpose is the imposition of uniformity in thought, speech, and behavior.

Send_Me on February 10, 2009 at 8:02 AM

Having grown up in Alabama, just outside of Birmingham, and now living in Auburn, I’ve grown to like the false assumption outsiders have of our state. The liberals tend to keep within a 10 mile radius of the colleges and universities where they pretend to work, and the people like the ones in this video show up with the usual preconceived notions and leave having had their minds changed. The important part is that they leave.

AubieJon on February 10, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Funny, how “those guys” are automatically “survivalist types” and not simply hunter or fishermen.

The prejudice is more than evident on one side.

PJ Emeritus on February 10, 2009 at 9:20 AM

It’s simple…

Rural Southern States America = Conservative Heaven

Crowded Urban Northeastern Gettos = Liberal Paradise

Mark Garnett on February 10, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Dave Rywall on February 10, 2009 at 7:53 AM

Do you have any proof?

No. Didn’t think so.

Next.

PimFortuynsGhost on February 10, 2009 at 9:36 AM

And like clockwork Dave Rywall, one of our resident liberals, arrives to illustrate the deeply ingrained prejudices of leftists.

Here’s a thought for ya, Dave…The professor leading the group wasn’t exactly lily white. And, he spoke with one of those accent thingies. And yet, he somehow made it out of the South unscathed.

Or perhaps he still wasn’t dark enough…? Maybe you can provide us with a paintchip sample of exactly which shade of skin is so dark that those Southerners just can’t help but attack someone.

JadeNYU on February 10, 2009 at 9:43 AM

In Maryland we have a little town named Damascus, which includes a Syrian Orthodox church. Whenever I drive towards the place, I can’t help but think of what happened to Saul of Tarsus.

Bigfoot on February 10, 2009 at 10:03 AM

I hope Neil Young will remember, A Southern man don’t need him around anyhow…….

Everyone but Neil is welcome.

eski502 on February 10, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Birmingham is a college town as much as anything else. Folks need to get over their fantasies about the South.

We want to be left alone to be ourselves. There’s a distinction between wanting to be left alone and hating outsiders. We like outsiders, non-Southerners, as long as they are willing to answer the question, “Where you from?”

Just don’t come here and look down on folks. We’ll still smile and wave at you, but you’re likely to get pepper in your sweet-tea.

spmat on February 10, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Send_Me, you’ve misunderstood my comment.

beachgirlusa on February 10, 2009 at 11:12 AM

JadeNYU on February 10, 2009 at 9:43 AM
——
Exactly: he wasn’t dark enough. It’s the non-white Arabs who are treated like shit by ignorant people. They’re the ones who are stared at on planes.

Dave Rywall on February 10, 2009 at 11:25 AM

PimFortuynsGhost on February 10, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Dave Rywall is a liberal so no proof is needed. He says it therefore it’s true.

Proof is only required of conservatives – like where is the proof that tax cuts work (other than most of the last 25 years) or that abstinence works (even though not having sex really can’t get you pregnant).

woodman on February 10, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Dave Rywall is a liberal so no proof is needed. He says it therefore it’s true.

woodman on February 10, 2009 at 11:31 AM
——–

Yeah, 4 people hanging out in a coffee shop in Alabama not encountering any problems is proof that the south is all sunshine and butterflies. Rightttttt.

Dave Rywall on February 10, 2009 at 11:42 AM

These people are going and looking for prejudice/racism based on their own prejudices…..and the stereotype that white people are always ignorant and malicious towards differences. Wow. Makes sense. -.-

I agree, someone should take a woman dressed like your typical american girl to a small town in Syria or Egypt (and not near AUC or typical tourist destinations). And see what happens.

bella710 on February 10, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I am southern, Louisiana, and retired army. I currently live on the Mexico border in Arizona. I still work in the defense industry and travel extensively. I meet a WIDE variety of people for all sectors of the world, cultures, and religions, including muslims who support our cause. For you libs the cause is protecting America. The only group I ever have difficulty with is the liberals, no matter what sector they live.

Do not tell me who the problem children are in this country, nor who is prejudiced. I see it regularly.

usarmyretired on February 10, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Dave Rywall is a liberal so no proof is needed. He says it therefore it’s true…Proof is only required of conservatives…

Ah, go easy on Dave…it’s part and parcel of his indoctrination.

Leftist ideology has a long history of not requiring its adherents to defend it’s tenets. It stretches back to the original “American” socialist, Robert Owen.

It’s actually quite clever, really. See, historically speaking, the Left views all of humanity — but especially non-Leftist, white Westerners — as being the victims of a “false consciousness”, hopelessly indoctrinated into a master-slave, capitalist structure that they are incapable of seeing beyond or recognizing. Every belief…every thought is tainted by this indoctrination.

Unless you’re a Leftist, of course :)

See, then, you’re magically embued with a clear understanding of reality…by simply accepting the truth of Leftist ideology. And the best part is this: you don’t have to defend your views against those who disagree? Why? Because they’re victims of false consciousness! Therefore, everything they think, everything they believe, is simply wrong…the result of an delusion brought on by their indoctrination.

See how it works? Now you understand how it’s so easy for them to simply ignore reality, facts, statistics, history, etc….as we all stand back and marvel at the sheer, irrational lunacy and single-minded fervency they exhibit.

rvastar on February 10, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Dave Rywall on February 10, 2009 at 11:42 AM

And the north and west are the Mecca’s of tolerance. I lived in Milwaukee and saw more racism there than anywhere I have ever been.

Do you just parrot ignorance or is it deep-seated? Do you really know anything about the South or just what you see on TV? I know of what I speak do you?

woodman on February 10, 2009 at 12:48 PM

rvastar on February 10, 2009 at 12:13 PM
——-
The truth is both sides of the American political fence believe this about the other side. Both sides shake their head at the supposed stupidity of the other. Both play the same annoying you’re obviously wrong for the mere reason that you’re on the other side game. You just lack the objectivity or self-awareness to see it or admit it.

Dave Rywall on February 10, 2009 at 12:57 PM

This whole whitewash on Islam experiment–which has been going on for almost a year, and which I’ve written about–is conducted by Islamic propagandist Akbar Ahmed, Daniel Pearl’s dad’s speaking tour buddy.

Debbie Schlussel on February 10, 2009 at 1:27 PM

In LA, the nicest people I’ve met are the people born and raised in LA (especially the South Bay area of San Pedro/Torrance/Harbor City). For the most part, the rudest people are transplants from other areas. I guess they’re trying extra hard to be ‘Hollywood’ but all they’re being is obnoxious.

JadeNYU on February 9, 2009 at 7:41 PM

There is no place in LA like San Pedro. It’s the size of many small cities, but breeds small/hometown closeness.

Just don’t try to surf at Royal Palms if you’re not a local. :)

The Race Card on February 10, 2009 at 1:30 PM

woodman on February 10, 2009 at 12:48 PM
———-
I never said “the north and west are “the Mecca’s of tolerance”.

It saddens me deeply that racism is everywhere. All I’m saying is it’s worse in the south.

Dave Rywall on February 10, 2009 at 2:02 PM

I never said “the north and west are “the Mecca’s of tolerance”.

Dave Rywall on February 10, 2009 at 2:02 PM

The deep irony in you noting – perhaps accurately – the lack of self-awareness and objectivity in some, while simultaneously displaying an equal (perhaps greater) lack of self-awareness and objectivity … is truly amusing.

It is fascinating that you seem able to understand that human behavior – that tendency to avoid introspection and wallow in subjective certainty – yet you engage in identical behavior, while putting on airs of superiority while you point your own behavior out in others.

C’mon. Admit it. Read back through your own comments, and count the number of generalizations, stereotypes, broad-brush thinking, intellectual laziness, and sociocultural bigotry. Go ahead. Read, and pretend someone else wrote them. Work through the logic and let’s test your self-awareness and objectivity.

Very, very funny, you are. Although I don’t think you mean to be. Here’s a hint for this last post: “the south” is no more one monolithic cultural body than “black people” is one singular identity.

And “racism is worse” requires both definition and evidence in support. If you mean specifically white on black racism, you’re probably right. I guarantee its infinitely less than you seem sure it is – but history is history, and won’t change in mere decades.

But “racism” as a general concept of identifying, labeling, and then denigrating different races (or even cultural groups) is the same everywhere, my confused but amusing friend. The funniest irony of all is that you prove it: every post you’ve written, including this most recent, displays evidence of ignorant prejudice and cultural stereotyping.

Shorter me: I love you. Thanks for making my lunch hour funny, you super self-aware nitwit.

Professor Blather on February 10, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Dave Rywall on February 10, 2009 at 2:02 PM

A few questions:

1) How do you define racism?

2) What evidence do you have that it is everywhere?

3) What evidence do you have that it is worse in the south?

JadeNYU on February 10, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Professor Blather on February 10, 2009 at 2:12 PM
———–
Your username is beyond perfect.

Dave Rywall on February 10, 2009 at 2:37 PM

A few questions:

1) How do you define racism?

2) What evidence do you have that it is everywhere?

3) What evidence do you have that it is worse in the south?

JadeNYU on February 10, 2009 at 2:14 PM
——
If you don’t think the world is (unfortunately) a very racist place, then I’m sorry, you’re too unobservant to bother with.

Dave Rywall on February 10, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Dave Rywall on February 10, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Way to not answer any of his questions.

Tigerbomb on February 10, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Hm. I didn’t know Dave Rywall was liberalese for Sir Robin. Let’s see if I’ve got it straight…

Dave Rywall ran away
He bravely ran away
When a question reared its ugly head
He bravely turned his tail and ran

That sound about right?

tmi3rd on February 10, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Arrogant pricks act like coming to the South is going to be visiting the freak show at a circus. Southern hospitality isn’t a gimmick. It is about treating people as your neighbor no matter what. I’m glad the good folks of Arab showed the actors and crew geniune kindness. Welcome to the real south.

doginblack on February 10, 2009 at 3:36 PM

No Dave, it’s not worse in the South. Do you have any hard data to back that up other than your own personal thoughts? There have been race problems in the South just like everywhere else.

Discriminatory practices of many kinds have been around for years – the Irish, Jews, Catholics, Hispanics and Asians in addition to African-Americans. Some of those groups are still marginalized to one extent or another today.

The South gets a bad rap for the Civil War and Jim Crow days. Newsflash – that’s over. Gone but not forgotten. You don’t see Jesse and Al down here protesting things all the time. If it were as bad as you seem to think they and other “black leaders” would be camped out here.

For that matter many of the generalizations you insinuate about people in the South are the next best thing to being racist. George Wallace and Bull Conner are dead. Wake up and smell what your shoveling.

woodman on February 10, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Yeah…except that there’s an awfully big difference between believing that someone who disagrees with you is arriving at the wrong conclusions from the available information (non-Leftists view of Leftists) and believing that someone who disagrees with you is an irrational, mindless drone who can’t think for themselves (Leftists view of non-Leftists)

“For men, as they have been hitherto educated, are incompetent to form a correct or sound judgment on any subjects except those which are connected with the certain sciences in which they have been instructed. On all others, in consequence of being compelled from infancy to receive the absurd doctrine of free will and responsibility, they have necessarily been rendered irrational.”

– Robert Owen

This from a man who had private meetings with 7 of the 8 presidents who lived during his lifetime…and who had enough influence to arrange to address joint sessions of Congress — twice.

“Distrust the judgment of the multitude in matters of reasoning and philosophy; its voice is that of wickedness, stupidity, inhumanity, unreason, and prejudice…””

– Denis Diderot

This from one of the preeminent thinkers of the French Enlightenment. I won’t go into Voltaire and Rousseau…or Marx…or Lenin.

That’s just a couple of examples of historically prominent Leftist figures voicing such opinions.

Care to provide us with examples of prominent conservatives/libertarians claiming that intellectually engaging with Leftists is a waste of time because they’re delusional and, therefore, unworthy of debate?

rvastar on February 10, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Dave, do you have any proof of the racism you are speaking of?

Tomblvd on February 10, 2009 at 4:14 PM

I found lots of evidence of widespread racism, unfortunately for Dave, it’s all in Europe:

______________________

_November 2004: Black English players Shaun Wright-Phillips and Ashley Cole are abused by “monkey chants” when Spain hosts England in an exhibition game in Madrid. Spain coach Luis Aragones is also caught on camera racially abusing Arsenal forward Thierry Henry in a bid to motivate Jose Antonio Reyes, Henry’s Arsenal teammate at the time.

_January 2005: As part of an anti-racism initiative in the French league, Paris Saint-Germain’s players wear all-white jerseys and Lens players wear all-black during a French league match at Parc des Princes in Paris. The move backfires as racist elements among PSG’s crowd in the Kop of Boulogne sing “Come on the whites.” The racist overtone is backed up with monkey chants from the Boulogne crowd when Lens players touch the ball. France midfielder Patrick Vieira, present in the crowd that night, vows not to set foot in Parc des Princes again.

_February 2005: Barcelona forward Samuel Eto’o is racially abused at a match in Zaragoza, where fans make monkey chants and throw peanuts onto the pitch when the Cameroon star gets the ball. Referee Fernando Carmona Mendez makes no mention of the incidents in his match report.

_November 2005: Ivory Coast defender Marc Zoro, then playing for Italian team Messina in Serie A, is abused by Inter Milan fans with monkey chants. He attempts to stop the match by walking off with the ball. All matches the following week in Italy are delayed by five minutes as part of an anti-racism initiative in reaction to the abuse aimed at Zoro.

_February 2006: Eto’o is racially abused again at Zaragoza and threatens to walk off the field, with only a desperate intervention by Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard stopping him. Footage of the match shows Eto’o saying “No mas (No more)” as he walks toward the sidelines.

_March 2006: In a match between Sachsen Leipzig and Hallescher FC, Leipzig’s Nigerian midfielder Adebowale Ogungbure is spat at and racially abused by opposition fans. In retaliation, Ogungbure places two fingers above his mouth and salutes the crowd, a reference to Adolf Hitler. Ogungbure is arrested by German police, because it is illegal to make Nazi gestures for political or abusive purposes, but criminal proceedings against him are dropped soon after.

_October 2006: In Serbia, 37 Borac Cacak fans are arrested and eight face criminal charges after racially abusing the club’s Zimbabwean player Mike Temwanjira during a first division match. Several days later, 152 supporters of first division side Rad Belgrade are detained after shouting anti-Muslim slogans during a match against their Novi Pazar rivals. In 2007, UEFA fines the Serbian Football Association for racial insults by fans aimed at black players during the under-21 European championship match against England played in the Netherlands.

_November 2006: PSG fan Julien Quemener is shot and killed by off-duty police officer Antoine Granomort, who is protecting a Jewish fan under attack from a large PSG hate mob after a UEFA Cup match against Israel’s Hapoel Tel Aviv.

_February 2007: St. Johnstone forward Jason Scotland is racially abused by fans of Scottish club Motherwell. The offenders are promptly reprimanded by the spectators around them, then reported to police and match stewards. Motherwell chairman John Boyle issues an apology on behalf of the club.

_March 2007: In a match between Lithuania and France, Lithuania fans unfurl a racist banner directed against France’s many black players, and representing a map of Africa, painted with the French flag colors and a slogan saying “Welcome to Europe.”

_August 2007: Borussia Dortmund goalkeeper Roman Weidenfeller is investigated by the German FA for allegedly calling forward Gerald Asamoah a “black pig.”

_August 2007: Midfielder DaMarcus Beasley, a black American from Indiana, was taunted by fans who made “monkey chants” after he scored his first goal for Glasgow Rangers in a Champions League qualifier at FK Zeta in Bijelo Polje, Montenegro.

_September 2007: After replacing Jose Mourinho as Chelsea manager, Israeli Avram Grant is the subject of death threats, hate mail and anti-Semitic chants. Grant’s father was a Polish survivor of the Holocaust.

_September 2007: Libourne’s Burkina Faso player Boubacar Kebe is shown the red card by the match referee for reacting to racial abuse from Bastia fans. The “Kebe” affair eventually leads to Bastia being docked points – a rarity

_Lewis Hamilton says he expected a backlash from Spanish Formula One fans following his falling-out with former team-mate Fernando Alonso, but he has been shocked by the level of abuse he received on Saturday.

The McLaren driver, 23, was subjected to racist comments and was faced with a group of spectators wearing wigs, dark make-up and t-shirts with the slogan “Hamilton’s Family” on the front during pre-season testing near Barcelona.
____________________________________

And this is a greatly abbreviated list. Racism is rampant in Europe, not the US.

Tomblvd on February 10, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Dave Rywall on February 10, 2009 at 2:37 PM

“If you don’t agree with me, you’re not worth talking to…” is that seriously your response to the questions I asked?

They are legitimate questions. Having a discussion on a topic without defining the terms is pointless. You might define racism as people preferring to stick with/deal with people of their own race and see it everywhere. I might define it as people actively working to ensure that their race is dominant over others and see it as a rare thing. We could argue until we’re blue in the face thinking we disagree only to discover upon defining the terms that we actually agree with each other but didn’t realize it.

For the sake of argument, let’s assume we define racism the same way and I’ll stipulate that racism is indeed everywhere, that still leaves the open and relevant question of what evidence you have to back up the fact that it’s worse in the south (I assume that you meant worse in the Southern United States compared to the rest of the United States – as opposed to say, Darfur or Saudi Arabia where being black or Jewish greatly lowers your likelihood of survival – though you should feel free to correct me if that’s not what you meant).

Now, you’ve already said that I’m not worth talking to simply because I asked for a definition of terms (which is actually the best way to start out any honest and open discussion, but I digress), so I’ll assume you don’t feel like answering me any more. However, I’ve noticed quite a few other people that have asked what evidence you have for your statement that racism is worse in the South. Since none of them asked for a definition of terms, I’ll assume you’re still willing to discuss it with them and I eagerly await your responses to them on this matter.

JadeNYU on February 10, 2009 at 5:40 PM

What kind of Catholic would be part of this? What the heck is wrong with Catholics today? The church seems to breed suicidals about as quick as Judaism does. Except that Catholics actually have children…

Spartacus on February 10, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Huh? What does Catholicism have to do with this story other than the fact that one of the people involved happen to identify themselves as one?

And what, in the name of God, is “suicidal” about what they are doing?

Tomblvd on February 10, 2009 at 6:21 PM

I bet any money these scum are Maryknollers.

They are about as Catholic as Wiccans. They adhere to The Communist Manifesto and Gramscian theory, not the New Testament and the dictates from the Holy See.

PimFortuynsGhost on February 11, 2009 at 9:21 AM