Illegals sue Arizona rancher for holding them at gunpoint on his property

posted at 5:50 pm on February 9, 2009 by Allahpundit

Who’s more eager to see the rancher win this case? The conservative grassroots or the feds, given the media migraine they’re going to suffer if this guy lands on the hook for $32 million?

Attorneys for the immigrants – five women and 11 men who were trying to cross illegally into the United States – have accused Mr. Barnett of holding the group captive at gunpoint, threatening to turn his dog loose on them and saying he would shoot anyone who tried to escape.

The immigrants are represented at trial by the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund (MALDEF), which also charged that Sheriff Dever did nothing to prevent Mr. Barnett from holding their clients at “gunpoint, yelling obscenities at them and kicking one of the women.”

In the lawsuit, MALDEF said Mr. Barnett approached the group as the immigrants moved through his property, and that he was carrying a pistol and threatening them in English and Spanish. At one point, it said, Mr. Barnett’s dog barked at several of the women and he yelled at them in Spanish, “My dog is hungry and he’s hungry for buttocks.”

“This is my land. I´m the victim here,” Mr. Barnett said. “When someone´s home and loved ones are in jeopardy and the government seemingly can´t do anything about it, I feel justified in taking matters into my own hands. And I always watch my back.”

He’s caught 12,000 illegals over the past 10 years, due in part to the security vacuum created when the Border Patrol redeployed out of his area to border towns. If only the stimulus bill wasn’t so well thought out and efficient, we could have directed a billion or two of that trillion to beefing up security and hiring new BP agents. I guess that’s the price we pay for perfection. Exit question one: Any lawyers want to advance a theory by which Barnett joins ICE as a party to the suit for negligence in failing to protect his property from illegals? Unlike most of America, he clearly has standing; read the piece and see how much damage has been done to his ranch. I’m guessing that constitutional claims are a nonstarter thanks to DeShaney v. Winnebago and that the Federal Tort Claims Act is only marginally more promising, since he’d have to argue that protecting his land isn’t a “discretionary” duty and that the BP failed to “exercise due care” in redeploying. Even if the suit’s a sure loser, though, it’s worth making the claim for the PR value alone. Exit question two: Is there really a jury anywhere in America east of California and west of New York willing to find this guy liable?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Dead men tell no tales.

1sttofight on February 9, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Time to dig a moat on the border and fill it with stuff people won’t want to wade through.

portlandon on February 9, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Elkart, IN. The new third coast.

sherry on February 9, 2009 at 5:53 PM

This issue is the ONLY issue that physically enrages and agitates me.

This freaking illegals have the gall to VIOLATE our national laws, only to sue a rancher for trying to prevent their illegal trespassing.

Lawyers are tearing this nation apart!

blatantblue on February 9, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Apparently 32M is pocket change to the feds, and I’m sure they’d think that’s appropriate for what they’d call a raaaaacist.

sloopy on February 9, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Depends how many illegal aliens are on it. They get everything else. Why not let them judge us as well?

MALDEF, as far as I am concerned, is just another anti-American group of seditious pukes who rape the law for their own reasons.

And just like the Endangered Species Act, if this goes through, all it will lead to is more illegal aliens getting the triple S treatment because citizens are terrified of being punished for guarding their property and their sovereign nation’s border.

MadisonConservative on February 9, 2009 at 5:54 PM

“My dog is hungry and he’s hungry for buttocks.”…

I love people who defend their property from criminal trespass with a sense of humor.

portlandon on February 9, 2009 at 5:54 PM

I read about this earlier today and sent it to all my friends e-mails.

This is utter lunacy and the case should have never been heard, and now that it has been it should be thrown out!

The fact of the matter is if this happened in Texas the only issue would be what medal to give to Mr. Barnett!

Liberty or Death on February 9, 2009 at 5:56 PM

If they stick this guy for $32 Million, I expect there are some good ol boys in Texas that will see to it that it is worth every penny.

MikeA on February 9, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Why would any judge allow this case to go forward?

Maxx on February 9, 2009 at 5:58 PM

OPTION A – we should make him eligible for $32 million out of the PORKULUS bill….

OPTION B – where can I donate to his legal defense fund?

SDarchitect on February 9, 2009 at 5:58 PM

How in the hell does an illegal alien have the right to sue an American? This country’s legal system has gone completely mad.

orlandocajun on February 9, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Well, I think a good rule of thumb is to never point a gun at someone unless you intend to kill them. This is a good illustration as to why (not that I’d advocate in this case the man should have fired, but that, firing apparently not having been his intent, he would’ve been better served to have not brandished in the first place).

That said, I find it as abhorrent as others here that these people have any legal standing to file suit.

Blacklake on February 9, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Well if they win they’ll be super duper rich espically with the bailout money going to illegals. I wonder if they will have to pay tax on it. Oh that’s right they won’t. Then they’ll send it back to Mexico. Oh Boy!

Brat4life on February 9, 2009 at 6:01 PM

So, it is now an actionable federal offense to defend one’s family, home and property from theft, vandalism and a reasonable threat of irreversible bodily harm?

The very idea that illegal immigrants engaged in unlawful activities are granted full access to our judicial system should be understood by all…

To wit, it bleeds over to the Guantanamo detainees — once they arrive on U.S. soil, they, too, will be granted the full authority of and full access to our federal, state, and local judicial systems.

The world has indeed turned upside down…

coldwarrior on February 9, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Go ahead, find him liable. Make our day.

amerpundit on February 9, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Too bad he can’t use land mines.

GarandFan on February 9, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Only in France, the UK, Germany, and now the US does this insane BS happen!

blatantblue on February 9, 2009 at 6:02 PM

It’s his freaking property.

For God’s sake.

This is ridiculous.

Someone call the President. He’ll surely help. /sarc

Black Adam on February 9, 2009 at 6:02 PM

This is so typical of Mexican mentality – honest to God, he should have shot them and then called the sheriff to clean it up.

catlady on February 9, 2009 at 6:03 PM

“Chopper. Sick balls.”

Black Adam on February 9, 2009 at 6:04 PM

I got nothing.

ctmom on February 9, 2009 at 6:04 PM

My collie says:

CC, tell me that you haven’t been lacing my food with illegal aliens.

Cereal fillers are still cheaper. Another 6 months of these unemployment figures though, and that could change.

CyberCipher on February 9, 2009 at 6:05 PM

These guys are lucky they didn’t cross in Texas. A rancher there would have just shot them, case closed.

Tommy_G on February 9, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Fence.
Electric Fence.
Razor Wire topped Electric Fence.
Razor Wire topped Electric Fence with a deep, wide moat.
Razor Wire topped Electric Fence with a deep, wide moat containing genetically modified sharks with friggin’ laser beams on their heads.

trubble on February 9, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Funny since the recession you don’t here the phrase “jobs that Americans aren’t willing to do.”

Can you imagine if they had passed amnesty last year? What a black eye that would have been.

jeff_from_mpls on February 9, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Rather than suing the guy, they should be sending him a thank you card for not blowing them away. Outnumbered 16 to 1, he could have legitimately argued that he felt his life was in danger and only fired in self defense. He showed more personal restraint than I might have.

innominatus on February 9, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Too bad he can’t use land mines.

GarandFan on February 9, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Woops. Excuse me now. I have to go work in the yard. Really? We can’t use those?

MikeA on February 9, 2009 at 6:07 PM

5 Women & 11 Men. I only have a set of six-shooter’s.

Where is the ‘War Wagon’ when you need it?

PappaMac on February 9, 2009 at 6:07 PM

unbelievable, I find I use that word 4 or 5 times a day now. America has truly lost it’s way.

kirkill on February 9, 2009 at 6:08 PM

We shoud have a over/under pool for how much he is going to lose. The last guy lost his entire ranch.

patrick neid on February 9, 2009 at 6:10 PM

“Chopper. Sick balls.”

Black Adam on February 9, 2009 at 6:04 PM

Well played.
Man I can’t wait till we form a more perfect union with Mexico and Canada. That America is going to be so much better than this smelly old patriotic one.

Instead of a defense fund, let’s start a buy all farmers on the border lots of assault rifles fund.

blankminde on February 9, 2009 at 6:11 PM

I’m stunned the ACLU hasn’t jumped on this shoddy bandwagon. The illegals are lucky they weren’t shot, as far as I’m concerned.

redfoxbluestate on February 9, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Blacklake on February 9, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Yep. No point in making it easier for them, although I’ve not walked in his moccasins. Continually cleaning up after them and suffering property loss would try one’s patience.

a capella on February 9, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Shoot first, ask questions never.

BLAMMO!

Deportation notice served.

Remember the phrase “I feared for my life”.

Case closed.

omnipotent on February 9, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Isn’t this what Ramos & Compean said?

cannonball on February 9, 2009 at 6:13 PM

The world has indeed turned upside down…

coldwarrior on February 9, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Exactly, you would think a judge of all people would understand the definition of “illegal.”

First of all; these people were crossing into our country illegally!

Second of all; Mr. Barnett had previously experienced vandalism and theft of his property, killing of his cattle, not to mention the pollution of the environment (where are the lefty envir-whacks when you need them) and therefore had reason to feel threatened.

Thirdly; since when do ILLEGALS have US rights let alone the right to commit a crime and expect to not be punished, but instead they expect a big fat payday for their crime!

Last I checked even though I’m a legal American citizen if I commit a crime I’m more than likely going to be punished for it, not rewarded with 32 Mil!! In fact if I did the same thing in Mexico I would probably rot in a roach infested jail for the rest of my natural life, if I wasn’t shot dead first!

This is insane!

Liberty or Death on February 9, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Lesson #1… If you pull your gun… Use it… If you use it… finish it…

phreshone on February 9, 2009 at 6:17 PM

This entire affair is beyond infuriating, to say the least, and for so many obvious reasons.

It appears that this nation is slowly letting its sovereignty slide by the wayside.

-Dave

Dave R. on February 9, 2009 at 6:17 PM

I wonder if any of the illegals are related to Obama.

darwin on February 9, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Isn’t this what Ramos & Compean said?

cannonball on February 9, 2009 at 6:13 PM

They broke the law. This guy didn’t.

Darth Executor on February 9, 2009 at 6:21 PM

>>> Lawyers are tearing this nation apart.

That’s the whole purpose for this law suit. They want to make people afraid to protect them selves and their property. They don’t care if they win the law suit or not, they just want the next guy to think twice before he decides to take a stand.

Badbrucskie on February 9, 2009 at 6:22 PM

If anyone doesn’t have standing I would think it would be the illegals.

btw AP, your snark is good and praise worthy on this one.

aikidoka on February 9, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Dead illegals don’t tell stories.

jukin on February 9, 2009 at 6:23 PM

22,000 acres. Sheesh, it would take forever to find the bodies…

Roc on February 9, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Remember who the Az gov is…
Janet Reno Napolitano

Catseye on February 9, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Dead illegals don’t tell stories.

jukin on February 9, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Shoot, shovel, and shut up.

JackS on February 9, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Since when it illegal for an American to act against illegal trespassing on his own property?

Notch this one up with the burglar who sued after cutting himself on glass inside a house he broke into.

I agree with posters above. It’s time to just start shooting people and repeating, “I was in fear for my life”. Maybe even keep a couple dozen extra knives around the house in plastic bags.

Damiano on February 9, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Hussein the most merciful Obama will pardon the man.

jeff_from_mpls on February 9, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Enact Castle Doctrines!!!

infidel on February 9, 2009 at 6:36 PM

This just makes me so mad. And the thing is, crap like this (illegals crossing through private property like it’s theirs) has been happening for years. Talking to my former Army mother, who was stationed for a while at Ft. Bliss, and she was telling me they’d have people crossing through the fort, and even then they weren’t really able to do anything. They just had to make sure nobody wandered onto any firing ranges. Madness.

If a man cannot defend his property from trespassers, it’s not really his property in the first place. If we as a nation will not defend ourselves from a relentless tide of people crossing our borders without permission, we have willingly given up our national sovreignty.

Anna on February 9, 2009 at 6:37 PM

12,000 illegals turned over to ICE in the past 10 years. That’s 1,200 a year, or about 3 a day, every day, for the last 3,650 days, and all on his own property. This is not an Immigration problem, this is a congo line of illegal aliens infiltrating our country over a single citizen’s property. This man deserves a medal, not a lawsuit. The real kick in the nuts? He didn’t catch them all. If I were him, I would sue the Federal government for a per-head bounty. Take the combined total budgets of ICE,DHS, and Border patrol, divide that dollar value by the number of Illegals that those agencies arrest and deport each year and multiply the result by 12,000.

Mord on February 9, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Yes, there is a jury that would find him guilty. Pick any large city with a large illegal Mexican population such as Los Angeles.

herself on February 9, 2009 at 6:41 PM

All I got to say is HANG THE LAWYERS representing these illegal criminals, to make an example. And yeah, I’m a NJ Yankee sayin’ that!

worlok on February 9, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Can anyone imagine the Cartwrights putting up with this sh*t on the Ponderosa?

I’m betting the silver mines would be housing many a trespasser.

And don’t get me started on what The Rifleman (Chuck Connors) would do.

BuckeyeSam on February 9, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Every day I feel more and more like I am living in Bizarro World.

So is there an address where we can send money to the rancher’s legal defense fund? Even if he wins the case, defending it could bankrupt him and then the illegals win anyway.

ExcessivelyDiverted on February 9, 2009 at 6:46 PM

worlok on February 9, 2009 at 6:41 PM

SECONDED!

blatantblue on February 9, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Does anyone know when illegal-immegrant-hunting season starts?

captainmeta4 on February 9, 2009 at 6:53 PM

I can’t help but find parallels between the U.S. and Rome.

They imported a lot of Germanic tribesmen to “do the work Roman citizens won’t do”.

Eventually, there were so many of them that Rome ceased to really be Rome. And, when the Germanic hoards came, the Germanic tribesmen that had been living and working in Rome for years remained loyal to the Germanic peoples and not to Rome.

JadeNYU on February 9, 2009 at 6:54 PM

blatantblue on February 9, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Yes, and within a legal system unlikely to deport them.

Tzetzes on February 9, 2009 at 6:57 PM

I’m glad that I live in Texas.

Johan Klaus on February 9, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Why would any judge allow this case to go forward?

Maxx on February 9, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Errr. maybe they have a fetish for being dressed in Tar and Feathers.

Seriously, how the hell are we supposed to have any respect for the judicial process if crap like this and crap like the travelling seatbelt weilding, anti american spouting imams can get into court.

OTOH, a lawsuit asking the president to show simple proof that he is really qualified to be potus gets trashed.

It’s not going to happen yet, but sooner or later this judge needs to look outside his or her office and see 10,000 really pissed off people.

bullseye on February 9, 2009 at 7:06 PM

I think that, if it were me, I’d shoot salt at them. No permanent damage, but it would sting.

(Video: not right part, but right [excellent] movie.)

Tzetzes on February 9, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Lawyers are tearing this nation apart!

blatantblue on February 9, 2009 at 5:53 PM

That’s why we elected a civil rights attorney to the Presidency, isn’t it?

Speakup on February 9, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Seriously. If I were in this guy’s shoes, I’d be shooting them as they approached the border markers, BEFORE they came onto US soil or my property.

And I’d be taking sniper lessons to improve my skill, so that I could drop them without so much as a single jerk reflex.

Let the corpses pile up on the Mexican side, as a warning.

Wanderlust on February 9, 2009 at 7:15 PM

I think I will start a pitch fork dealership!

grapeknutz on February 9, 2009 at 7:18 PM

It’s not just about whether he wins. He’s going to have to put up the money for a lawyer to file an answer to the lawsuit, regardless of how frivolous it is. And the chances of him recovering his legal fees, especially from illegal aliens is about nil.

This is about intimidation. They are hoping to hurt this guy enough to make the next person think he better just close his eyes and let them go if he doesn’t want to have to spend a few thousand bucks in legal fees.

dinobalz on February 9, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Remember who the Az gov is…
Janet Reno Napolitano

Catseye on February 9, 2009 at 6:29 PM

She’s gone into the Obama admin. they have a GOP gov. now.

goat on February 9, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Even if the suit’s a sure loser

Just keep an eye on the jury. This case will be decided by how many Aztlanians are on the jury. You might even be able to predict the outcome by which judge gets this case and if he gets to make strikes during voir dire.

Buddahpundit on February 9, 2009 at 7:21 PM

dinobalz on February 9, 2009 at 7:18 PM

You’re correct about the intimidation part but it wouldn’t surprise me if an attorney steps forward pro bono or he could start a defense fund and get plenty of donations.

goat on February 9, 2009 at 7:25 PM

I am sorry but to all the illegals out there
Try and SUE all of the drug dealing scum in your country
for false imprisonment
Drug dealing
Murder
Fraud
Arson
Beheadings

Try it and see how far you get..
Probalby you would end up in a barrel of acid..

So i suggest you illegals stop this crap
before america gets pissed off and just builds a wall 50 ft high..

jcila on February 9, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Remember who the Az gov is…
Janet Reno Napolitano

Catseye on February 9, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Not anymore. Now our AZ Gov is a Rep named Jan Brewer, who had been the Sec of State.

mauioriginal on February 9, 2009 at 7:40 PM

One news report said that the illegal immigrants are suing under pseudonyms because they feared reprisal for their illegal status (apparently they are living in America).

I thought that wasn’t allowed.

Sackett on February 9, 2009 at 7:41 PM

(Video: not right part, but right [excellent] movie.)

Tzetzes on February 9, 2009 at 7:07 PM

You wouldn’t want to do that. A lot of us only use factory ammo for self defense. Some dirtball lawyers screwed a couple of decent people by making all kinds of crazy claims about reloads “They were deliberately constructed to cause horrible pain and suffering”. That crap won’t fly with factory ammo.

Problem with this country is: Too many corrupt lawyers and not enough chum.

(apologies to the decent lawyers out there)

bullseye on February 9, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Maybe we can buy a big pile of rope with the stimulus money, for an old fashioned western necktie party.

mcassill on February 9, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Anna on February 9, 2009 at 6:37 PM

I was stationed in Del Rio, TX and if the Security Forces saw ilegalls on the base they could only detain them until the BP arrived. If a us citizen was out on the ramp causing damage to one of the aircraft they could legally use deadly force but if it was an illegal then they could only detain them.

Didn’t dear leader argue for brining the fight to Pakistan by saying that their inability to control all of their teritory show they had no sovreignty in those regions, thus giving us the right to strike in those regions?

cobrakai99 on February 9, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Shoot, shovelburn to ashes, and shut up.

JackS on February 9, 2009 at 6:30 PM

FIFY. Less evidence that way.
What this guy needed was a sign like this on the border:

Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again.

Translate that into spanish.

Chaz706 on February 9, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Would you guys shoot and / or hang the kids too?

Dang you’re violent.

tlynch001 on February 9, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Haven’t read the thread at all, just the headline, know it is true. A disgusting travesty that an illegal has standing to sue a landowner.

*puking*

riverrat10k on February 9, 2009 at 9:31 PM

The illegal alien stimulus program is coming…..just a matter of time.

You and I are going to start making payments to the voter fraud group Acorn and similar organization to the tune of around $4 billion in the current stimulus (gag) bill.

Combined with the fact that the White House, for the first time in history, is hijacking the Census from the Commerce Dept. and letting it be run out of Rahm’s office.

New districts, new voters, new imaginary voters, new Americans and new payments. With the added advantage of being lectured and lied to by hypocrites. …what’s not to like.

moxie_neanderthal on February 9, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Laws concerning legal fireams usage vary from state to state. Here in VA, while we have fairly liberal (in a good way) firearms laws, we do not have castle doctrine, as Texas does. My understanding, IAMNAL,is that in Texas, you really get the benefit of the doubt for a shooting by you on your property.
In VA, I must be “in fear for my life”, must stop deadly force once the threat has stopped, and may have some obligation to retreat or disengage. I am unfamiliar with AZ law. Open Carry.org or a similar pro-handgun site would be a good starting point to research the legal end of this.

And how does any of this apply to an illegal invader from another country? How do I know what threat level to escalate to? Is it women and children or drug smugglers? Mexican military? Escaped or released criminals?

Can MALDEF be charged with harboring fugitives from justice?

riverrat10k on February 9, 2009 at 10:01 PM

The illegal alien stimulus program is coming…..just a matter of time.

moxie_neanderthal on February 9, 2009 at 9:58 PM

+1,000,000 u hyped up pre-man. The socailist state machinery is moving inexorably forward. Do we have the strength to stop it?

riverrat10k on February 9, 2009 at 10:06 PM

12,000 illegals parading across his property? Gun, backhoe, hole: repeat as necessary. And then watch as your well fertilized lawn yields prize winning flowers.

Physics Geek on February 9, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Hellllllloooooooooooooooo…

Not one single law enforcement officer is listening. Not the attorney generals, not the district attornies, not the police chiefs, not a single one. They are all beholden to the system. Each a dog smelling the dog in front. Following orders. Letter of the law and all that rot.

If law enforcement isn’t on the side of citizens then we are up the proverbial creek without a paddle. We’ll be the ‘terrorists’ for fighting back.

Thomas Paine weeps.

Limerick on February 9, 2009 at 11:30 PM

The absurdity of this law suit is over the top and beyond belief.

Why don’t we initiate a class-action lawsuit on behalf of ALL AMERICAN CITIZENS and SUE MEXICO for the gazillions of dollars we have spent to pay the illegal immigrants welfare, food stamps, housing, education, hospital and doctor bills, prescription medications, etc ad nauseum… because Mexico has done nothing to stop or even curtail the flood of illegal immigrants FROM MEXICO into the U.S. and even after we have sent millions upon billions of additional dollars over the years into Mexico as so-called ‘financial aid’ for their police and military and their infrastructure.

When are we going to do something tangible about this problem and stop being Mexico’s patsy and benefactor? They truly must laugh at us and think we’re the stupidest people on earth for putting up with it all and even PAYING THEM TO BE SCOFFLAWS.

Make it freakin’ stop already. Jeez!

FlatFoot on February 10, 2009 at 12:06 AM

The rancher goes to jail and the illegals get his ranch

That is, if this is anything like a case in ’05 when Morris Dees of the Southern Poverty Law Thug Center sued a rancher under very similar circumstances.

eeyore on February 10, 2009 at 12:56 AM

Best defence is a best offence. In the face of this madness, option #1 is to back off. Option #2 is to escalate (and at least make it worth $32 million). Law of unintended consequences and all.

Besides, who is going to look for dead illegals? Is the Border Patrol really going to show up and say, “Sir, there are a few illegal immigrants who were reported missing and last seen around here. Mind if we have a look around?”.

Roxeanne de Luca on February 10, 2009 at 3:14 AM

This is a unofficial declaration of war by the Mexicans and drug lords and should be treated as such!!!

grapeknutz on February 10, 2009 at 8:02 AM

MadisonConservative on February 9, 2009 at 5:54 PM

“Raping the law” Love that phrase. An accurate description of what so many lawyers are doing today for their own enrichment.

Ernest on February 10, 2009 at 9:05 AM

And still it seems that noone is ready to say we are being INVADED… and WTF are these illegals doing with ANY rights? I have said it before, this is a Military matter, we need to put defenses on our Border. I am in favor of ALL means nessesary, including force and “warning shots” to STOP THE FLOOD of these bastards into America. Stop or we start SHOOTING, no more “catch and release”. Kill 10 or 20 or 1500 and they WILL stop entering OUR Country. It works.

Mark Garnett on February 10, 2009 at 9:38 AM

“Yeah this ticks me off as much as the next person here. Any Arizonans here know what the property protection laws are there?”

Living in the same area as Roger Barnett, I agree with the outrageous reaction of the posters here. Unfortunately, Barnett has already lost a similar lawsuit on a smaller scale. He will lose this one also. The United States legal system will make sure of it. For this alone, I despise Bush and his Border Cronies.

What people don’t realize is that armed Mexican soldiers accompany drug loads across the border down here. This happens in my vicinity all the time. I’ve written Sen. McShame and Sen. Kyl, but they ignore the people on the border. Apparently, an act of war gets redefined depending on the political payout.

Last week, some illegals tried to break in to a home I own. The home was occupied. The renter went after them, but they escaped into the countryside.

This will only be addressed when the bodies begin to pile up…and they will.

Shep on February 10, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Wrote about this yesterday. This isn’t the first time this has happened, and this guy is lucky. The last guy in the same position was prosecuted criminally, sent to jail, had his ranch seized and given to the illegals, and the illegals were given citizenship.

Debbie Schlussel on February 10, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Unfortunately, the only way to stop this snowballing madness the ACLU, Attorney Dees and other anti-Americans foist upon the American people is to whack some judges, attorneys and illegals who end up with American property. I’m not advocating such action, but without the Government supporting the rights of American citizens, I don’t see any other recourse for a free people. Of course, we could all go silently into that dark night and that is probably how the story will end.

Shep on February 10, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Debbie Schlussel on February 10, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Texas has a law called the Castle Doctrine law. What this means, is that if someone is on your property and you have posted No Trespassing Signs, you have the right to tell them to leave. If they don’t you are authorized to defend your property by any means that you see fit.
That being said, the case your talking about happened in Texas, on a Texas ranch and they were prosecuted in Texas.
The ranch lost in the lawsuit was located in Arizona.
Was the owner of the property in Texas prosecuted?

try again later on February 10, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Texas state law. When the Feds are involved, Texas can kiss their Castle Doctrine good-bye.

Shep on February 10, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Prescript: I *am not* advocating killing people for trespassing.

I’m wondering how anyone would know if a rancher was shooting/killing illegal aliens trespassing on his property and disposing of the bodies? Who would know?

Honestly folks, it seems as if this country is doing everything in its power to go down the tubes as fast as possible.

Geministorm on February 10, 2009 at 11:57 AM