Steele: The Democrats’ power has gone to their heads

posted at 3:15 pm on February 7, 2009 by Allahpundit

Fine on substance but a bit more stilted in delivery than I expected from a guy so media savvy, especially given the base’s passion on this subject. Steele’s used to going off the cuff in his role as telepundit; see, e.g., his RNC acceptance speech for how comfortable he is speaking extemporaneously. Maybe he should prep for these things that way — start with an outline of points and then do it impromptu in a few takes, stitching together the best parts of each. He needs to be on his game, as the media will be itching to compare him unfavorably to The One and these weekend message duels give them a perfect excuse.

Also, can we give the man a set worthy of his station? Obama’s been using warm lighting and handsome wood-paneled offices as backdrops for his video communiques since the primaries. This looks like it was shot during a commercial break on “Hannity.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

If you understand English, you can understand what she’s saying. She’s communicating. I don’t speak like someone from Boston, but yet I can understand someone from Boston without having to pass judgment on whether dropping final r’s is correct.

ddrintn on February 7, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Did I say anything about her ACCENT?! Goodness.

I’m not talking about her accent, I’m not talking about her vocabulary. I said she talks in convoluted sentences and uses the passive tense too much. If you look at any of her latest (and not so latest) interviews, you’ll see plenty of examples.

If you prove to me that’s how they speak in Alaska, I’ll shut up. problem is, I’ve never heard any other Alaskan on TV speak in almost exclusively the passive tense.

Phoenician on February 8, 2009 at 3:09 AM

Don’t know about the primaries but Obama’s sets in his pretentious Office of the President elect videos were a joke (I remember one with fake brown timber panelling and a sorry pot plant; one with window in background and wonky curtains overlooking street at dusk. Augh. Cheap and nasty). Probably because then he had a limited government provided budget.

They only look good since he’s been in the White House and gotten his hands on a nice historic backdrop and lots and lots of other people’s money again.

There was nothing wrong with the Steele set. Practice what you preach. Spend money on substance not frivolities. A bit more gravitas in both content and delivery perhaps (in a trillion dollar package you find just a $12 million dollar fish barrier or something?)

saint on February 8, 2009 at 5:16 AM

saint,

The set has no depth. Steele looks like he´s jammed right against that background. Somehow reminds me of the airplane cockpit in Plan 9 from Outer Space.

It´s not a question of money, just professionalism and ideas.

el gordo on February 8, 2009 at 9:02 AM

and once the damage is done it wll be up to Republicans to fix it again, aka 9/11 was something that took years, under Dem lack of sight, to develope. We are paying a hefty price in loss of a lot of our freedoms now. We cant even wear our shoes to an airplane now. C’mon 2010. My ballot is ready.

johnnyU on February 8, 2009 at 9:12 AM

The beliefs brought upon by Reagan and his administration that:

• Starts with the presumption that the government can do nothing correctly.

Bullsh*t. It’s the belief that government has its own sphere.

• Allows the proverbial Wall Street to do whatever it wants

Bullsh*t again.

• Rely on the individual

Absolutely. Something wrong with that?

• Sends off work to third world countries while doing relatively nothing for our citizens

sethstorm on February 7, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Are you a mercantilist?

Did I say anything about her ACCENT?! Goodness.

Phoenician on February 8, 2009 at 3:09 AM

And she’s been heard splitting infinitives and even sometimes droppin’ that gosh-darn final “g”. Positively beastly.

ddrintn on February 8, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Phoenician on February 8, 2009 at 3:09 AM

do you mean the passive voice?
what the hell is passive tense?

Xolom on February 8, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Phoenician on February 8, 2009 at 3:09 AM
This kind of elite crap is what piss off so many of us.

KBird on February 8, 2009 at 10:15 AM

el gordo – thanks. I didn’t even notice. But yes I see what you mean.

saint on February 8, 2009 at 10:50 AM

do you mean the passive voice?
what the hell is passive tense?

Xolom on February 8, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Yes, I meant passive voice. I have no idea what the hell passive tense means, but it’s nice to hear from you too.

I’m not talking about being folksy, or dropping or adding ‘r’s or whatever other letter. I’m not talking about vocabulary. I’m talking about sentence construction.

Anyways.. I looked up her Van Susteren interview, and it does look ok. Things could be set more straightforward, but I accept that she doesn’t do that. So maybe I had in mind more her first interviews. Which goes with what I said, that she might be doing it to give herself more time.

I love how nobody arguing with me even considered looking things up. Instead throwing things my way which have nothing to do with what I was talking about. I said I thought her sentence construction was convoluted, and all i get was that I’m against an Alaskan accent, or being too folksy, or whatever.

You think that’s going to win Palin the next election? Good luck.

I’ll remember next time I argue with my neighbors on Palin’s behalf, that we don’t need facts. All we need is a belief that Palin’s great, and everybody will just fall in line with that.

Now, to fan the flames a bit: a couple of weeks ago people were saying that in 2012 we’ll need a candidate who could beat Obama’s star status. Has anybody considered that after Obama, Americans would want somebody without star status but with lots and lots of experience? Somebody who would be able to straighten out the mess?

Phoenician on February 8, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Phoenician on February 8, 2009 at 3:09 AM
This kind of elite crap is what piss off so many of us.

KBird on February 8, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Tough.

It’s a shame you’re too elitist to actually consider that other people are thinking, and not just turning their nose at your star. I’m a big Palin fan, that doesn’t mean I accept everything and anything just because it has a ‘Palin’ attached to it. I thought conservatives were against being part of the mindless crowd. Me and my stupid assumptions.

Phoenician on February 8, 2009 at 11:24 AM

I don’t think being a “Palin fan” means having to accept anything and everything “Palin”. I just think that criticism of her would have risen above linguistic nitpicking or sniping at her family etc by now. You know, criticisms that have more to do with issues.

ddrintn on February 8, 2009 at 12:25 PM

do you mean the passive voice?
what the hell is passive tense?

Xolom on February 8, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Phoenician:

Do you think that you should try to know your subject when being critical of another’s speech? Hilarious.

Jamson64 on February 8, 2009 at 2:52 PM

BadDogMN on February 7, 2009 at 4:12 PM

I hope you don’t mind I’m going to use that as well!

VikingGoneWild on February 9, 2009 at 8:31 AM