It’s On: Palin vs Judd

posted at 10:22 am on February 5, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Sarah Palin has hit back at actress Ashley Judd for her criticisms of the effort to pare back the Alaskan wolf population for the protection of caribou.  Scoffing at advice from “far east coast politicians,” Palin reminded Judd and her Defense of Wildlife Action Fund that Alaskans relied on healthy caribou populations for food — especially in economically trying times.  She also accused Judd of manufacturing outrage to stoke donations to her group:

Alaska governor Sarah Palin’s support for aerial wolf-hunting has sparked a heated cross-country war of words between the governor and an environmental ad campaign fronted by the actress Ashley Judd, with Palin calling the organization funding the ads an “extreme fringe group.”

The squabble began Tuesday when the Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund unveiled a campaign called “Eye on Palin,” targeting the governor for what they call her “extreme anti-conservation policies.”

The group is highlighting “Palin’s championing of the brutal and unnecessary aerial killing of wolves and other carnivores” — a controversial practice allowed by permit in Alaska since 2003, with the goal of protecting populations of moose and caribou.

Judd, who has in the past lent her voice to AIDS prevention and reproductive health campaigns, signed on with the group and is featured in a YouTube video. “It is time to stop Sarah Palin, and stop this senseless savagery,” she says in the clip.

Perhaps Judd might want to change the name of her group to the Defense of Selected Wildlife Action Fund.  The aerial hunt intended on thinning the number of wolves in order to protect an endangered caribou population that had dropped to only 500.  Since the ban on wolf hunting decades ago, the top-of-the-food-chain predator has made a stunning comeback, lately at the expense of its usual prey.

For a group that wants to protect wildlife, they seem strangely unconcerned about the plight of the caribou and moose … unless it comes to drilling in ANWR, which doesn’t actually harm the caribou at all.

By the way, Palin’s strategy worked.  Biologists in the state’s Fish and Game Department estimate that the caribou herds increased to 6500 this year, thanks to the reduced threat from wolves.  The birth rate went from one calf per 100 cows to 39 calves per 100 cows, which will help herd growth for the next several years. Another season without the aerial hunt might have wiped out the caribou herds altogether.

As I wrote at the time, critics of responsible wildlife management seem to live in Cartoon World, where the wolf and the bear and the caribou all become best friends and have adventures together with the plucky little kid from the local village.  In fact, the wolf and the bear will eat the caribou until there are none left, and would have the plucky little kid for dessert if they could.

Judd should get out of Cartoon World and learn something about wildlife management — and Palin’s success — before opening her mouth and removing all doubt about her ignorance.

Update: From the comments, a look at the reason why wolf hunting takes place:

Does Judd cheer for the wolf or the calf in this video?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I appreciate the keen political analysis of sarah’s fundamental leadership qualities.

benny shakar on February 5, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Does anyone know why Benny the Butt-Boy is so concerned about the Governor of Alaska?

Jaibones on February 5, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Oh…I get it…Ashes Juggs! From the ashes big juggs arise! It’s a Hollywood thing! Oh…she’s an actress! Oh..sorry we should take her very ser…oh…Ashley Judd? Umm…I can’t get my mind around that name. Is that an actress? She sounds like a real “one bagger” if you know what I’m sayin’! She’s cute…you say? Really? Another airhead hollywood dickhead with a made-up name (bad effort by the way) who wants us to pay attention… ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

sabbott on February 5, 2009 at 4:42 PM

benny shakar

There are country songs about Benny. To the Obama Administration…

“I hate every bone in your body except mine”…

“I’ll get over you when you get out from under him”…

sabbott on February 5, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Other reasons the stimulus bill ain’t workin’.
1Get Your Biscuits In The Oven And Your Buns In Bed
2. Get Your Tongue Otta My Mouth ‘Cause I’m Kissing
You Goodbye
3. Her Teeth Was Stained, But Her Heart Was Pure
4. How Can I Miss You If You Won’t Go Away?
5. Can’t Get Over You, So Why Don’t You Get Under Me?
6. Don’t Know Whether To Kill Myself Or Go Bowling
7. Got In At 2 With a 10, And Woke Up At 10 With a 2.
8. Hate Every Bone In Your Body Except For Mine
16. I’ve Got Tears in My Ears From Lying On My Back
While I Cry Over You
17. If I Can’t Be Number One In Your Life, Then Number
Two On You
18. If I Had Shot You When I Wanted To, I’d Be Out By
Now
19. Mama Get A Hammer (There’s A Fly On Papa’s Head)
20. My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, And I Don’t Love
Jesus
21. My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend, and I Sure Do
Miss Him
22. Please Bypass this Heart
23. She Got The Ring and I Got The Finger
24. You’re the Reason Our Kids Are So Ugly (My
favorite)

sabbott on February 5, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Those poor caribou marked for death – either by the jaws of a wolf or the hands of some inbreed snowbilly…

AprilOrit on February 5, 2009 at 4:17 PM

And Hawk! The hawkster is checking into trip costs to mebbe shoot one himself.

hawkdriver on February 5, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Judd:
“It is time to stop Sarah Palin, and stop this senseless savagery,”

Next Judd will lend her expertise to advocating partial birth abortion.

Save the wolves,kill the babies.
How Progressive!!!!

Baxter Greene on February 5, 2009 at 5:39 PM

And Hawk! The hawkster is checking into trip costs to mebbe shoot one himself.

hawkdriver on February 5, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Believe it or not there isn’t a restaurant in this town who serves caribou that I know of, or even venison.

It used to be in NYC you could get anything….

AprilOrit on February 5, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Does Judd cheer for the wolf or the calf in this video?

The wolf gotta eat, too. And they cut down on the old, the sick, and the young. On the other hand, if they wipe out their prey, that’s no good, either.

I R A Darth Aggie on February 5, 2009 at 6:11 PM

It used to be in NYC you could get anything….

AprilOrit on February 5, 2009 at 5:48 PM

You are the one missing out then. Caribou Chili is very tasty and Venison Stew hits the spot on a cold day. MMMMM…..

btw, you don’t need to come up with the *clever* moniker “snowbilly” for me; I am a regular human being.

Branch Rickey on February 5, 2009 at 6:27 PM

I suggest a jello pit as the venue, bikinis as the attire.

Vashta.Nerada on February 5, 2009 at 10:25 AM

This is one of the many reasons that I love men. LOL

baldilocks on February 5, 2009 at 7:00 PM

I suggest a jello pit as the venue, bikinis as the attire.

Vashta.Nerada on February 5, 2009 at 10:25 AM

This is one of the many reasons that I love men. LOL

baldilocks on February 5, 2009 at 7:00 PM

And that why we love you Baldilocks!

Branch Rickey on February 5, 2009 at 7:14 PM

I don’t know who Judd is cheering for in that video. What I do know is that she is not just eating plants.

watson007 on February 5, 2009 at 7:15 PM

watson007 on February 5, 2009 at 7:15 PM

You can bet she is on that famous “see food diet”…

right2bright on February 5, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Ashley Judd is a Vile Creature.

Dr Evil on February 5, 2009 at 7:44 PM

I suggest a jello pit as the venue, bikinis as the attire.
Vashta.Nerada on February 5, 2009 at 10:25 AM

+1 for Vasha.Nerada’s suggestion.
Hoodlumman on February 5, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Oh…I love that pic of Sarah Palin with her hair down. *sigh*
Bishop on February 5, 2009 at 10:26 AM

I too, like Palin’s hair down.
Anna on February 5, 2009 at 10:32 AM

I think these female lefties are really just jealous of what a hottie Palin is.
MDWNJ on February 5, 2009 at 10:35 AM

I love Palin’s hair UP lol.

ex-Democrat on February 5, 2009 at 10:36 AM

benny shakar on February 5, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Here’s a bit of keep political analysis for you, b.s.: I would bet most of the above comments are from guys, and have nothing to do with political leadership.

Ah well. I guess you tried to come up with the snarkiest post possible, and this was your best shot.

tom on February 5, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Branch Rickey on February 5, 2009 at 6:27 PM

I have never had caribou or moose, would love to try either.

AprilOrit on February 5, 2009 at 8:09 PM

In Australia there is a regular kangaroo cull. It breaks my heart but I know it is has to be done. I just wish Judd and her ilk would do a little research before criticizing Sarah Palin.

Crux Australis on February 5, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Wonder how Judd feels about the brutal and unnecessary killing of unborn children.

fossten on February 5, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Fla. doctor investigated in badly botched abortion

By CHRISTINE ARMARIO
Associated Press Writer

Eighteen and pregnant, Sycloria Williams went to an abortion clinic outside Miami and paid $1,200 for Dr. Pierre Jean-Jacque Renelique to terminate her 23-week pregnancy.

What Williams and the Health Department say happened next has shocked people on both sides of the abortion debate: One of the clinic’s owners, who has no medical license, cut the infant’s umbilical cord. Williams says the woman placed the baby in a plastic biohazard bag and threw it out.
Police recovered the decomposing remains in a cardboard box a week later after getting anonymous tips.

Partial birth abortion at work thinks to the liberals that care so much about peace,love,and life.

Typical liberal to be whining and crying about something like a few wolf being killed while they support the policies that produce horrendous actions like this.

Screw you Judd.

Baxter Greene on February 5, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Mr. 57 states apparently only gets upset about the mis-treatment or abuse of people if they are terrorist.

Obama actually shot down a bill that was introduced to stop doctors from killing infants when they were “accidentally”
born:

Team Obama acknowledges infanticide lie

posted at 8:00 am on August 18, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Russell Berman reports in the New York Sun that the Barack Obama campaign has acknowledged that Obama himself lied about the bill he torpedoed in 2003 that would have required medical providers to give normal medical attention to infants born alive during an abortion.

The admission comes with a new spin, as the campaign finally admits that the bill Obama defeated in committee was all but identical to the federal law that passed the Senate unanimously in 2002:

If child abuse is an evil that must be confronted, then infanticide is even more evil. What did Obama do when he saw this evil? Did he confront it, as one of God’s soldiers? Or did he facilitate it?
The answer now from the Obama campaign is clear. Obama facilitated evil in order to protect abortion on demand, which was never threatened by S.1082 in the first place.

Nothing like getting a big lecture on how much somebody cherishes life from people that treat infants like garbage.
How Progressive!!!!

Baxter Greene on February 5, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Judd is soooo pretty..but also soooooooooo dumb.

soooo soooo so dumb.

Handel on February 5, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Handel on February 5, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Did you see her in that recent movie called “Bug”?

Terrible movie and she isn’t looking near as good. I am done with her movies now for sure.

Jamson64 on February 5, 2009 at 10:05 PM

fossten on February 5, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Just as you would expect….

Jamson64 on February 5, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Shame on you, Governor Palin!

Knowing entering into a battle of wits, logic, and common sense with a woefully unarmed opponent such as her.

Hardly a fair fight. But, then again, if you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Bruce in NH on February 5, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Sabbott

You missed:

25) I rather hate myself in the morning than love myself tonight

Pythagoras on February 5, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Ashley should have taken some science classes along with her French and art history at the University of Kentucky. If she had, she might understand that by letting the wolf population get so large that it nearly decimates its own food source, the end result is that probably quite a few more than the 600 killed in the cull would have suffered the far more brutal fate of starving to death. A bullet is far more humane.

I’m a vegetarian just as Ashley is, and although I could never shoot an animal myself (just the idea of hunting makes me squeamish), I understand it as a necessary part of balancing the ecosystem, and humans and their weapons have long been a part of that chain. Wolves are beautiful animals but if managing their population via culling is what is necessary to keep them vital and thriving, then so be it. Good for Gov. Palin for doing what is right and not what is easy.

NoLeftTurn on February 5, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Judd cheers for herself — the worst wolf on the planet: liberal.

Drum on February 5, 2009 at 11:22 PM

What’s the reason clowns like Judd don’t DEFEND THE HYENAS!

Because wolves have better Calendars.

It’s the cute predators her ilk like.

They think wolves are just German Shepherds with ritzier coats.

Forgetting that they slaughter helpless little animals.

Why no SAVE THE JACKALS, Ashley?

Because it’s all about soothing superficial illusions, not raw reality, right toots?

profitsbeard on February 6, 2009 at 1:21 AM

VastRightWingConspirator on February 5, 2009 at 12:39 PM

You forgot Johnny Depp and Robert Redford.

Ryan Gandy on February 6, 2009 at 2:10 AM

So it’s down to who deserves the “food” more: Alaskan hunters, or the wolves.
Malpaso

Actually it’s not the “Alaskan hunters” per say. I think I read somewhere that the caribou and the Moose are part of the “native Americans” that live in Alaska diet.

Palin could have played the race card on Judd but didn’t, humm?

She could have asked Judd why she wants to see Native Americans starved to death.

Why dose Judd want to “change” the Native Americans culture.

Why dose Judd want to see the Alaskan Caribou and the Moose go extinct.

And I can’t help but wonder why Judd doesn’t mention the other states that also have “predator control” programs?
Which is pretty much the whole lower 48.

Also, considering a lot of these “predator control” programs occur on BLM and BIA land why isn’t she calling out the head guy for that?

The head guy? That would be Obama.

“U.S. Department of Agriculture, as well as the Bureau of Land Management and Forest Service because predator control will occur on land managed by the agencies.

Wildlife Services, which traditionally protects livestock, crops and the public from predators, would use traditional control methods including poison, traps, snares and aerial gunning to kill such animals”

DSchoen on February 6, 2009 at 4:20 AM

Wonder how Judd feels about the brutal and unnecessary killing of unborn children”
fossten

They are NOT “unborn children”!
They are Zygotes!

BTW , have you ever met someone who was not at some time a Zygote?

DSchoen on February 6, 2009 at 4:26 AM