McConnell on the stimulus: $1 million a day since the birth of Christ

posted at 6:30 pm on February 4, 2009 by Allahpundit

A soundbite for the ages (literally). No need to check his math; Politifact and I have already done it. A cool mil a day since the birth of JC doesn’t even get you to $750 billion, actually. With a trillion dollars to spend, you could push things back to the time of Homer and the start of western civilization proper. No wonder Maverick’s ready to kill it.

I know the three atheists who read this site are wondering so I’ll spare them the trouble of calculating: It’s roughly $13.7M a day since Darwin.

Comments

You’re a sweetheart for doing that, AP.

Anna on February 4, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Heh.

amerpundit on February 4, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Who is this Darwin of which you speak? Seriously, can you imagine how much that would be worth if you were getting 3% a year in a money market account? We would be able to afford a small country to just give to Obama and let him destroy it at his leisure.

genso on February 4, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Yes, AP, but if it means that the 500 mil. people who are going to lose jobs this month end up keeping them, then it’s money well spent.

Weight of Glory on February 4, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Must be counting yourself in that figure…right, AP?

Miss_Anthrope on February 4, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Nice rhetorical device. The GOP with a decent sound bite, who knew? Now all of this money is borrowed, right? So the Italian in me wants know, what’s the vig? We borrow 900 billion at, say, 2%, so that’s $18 billion a year in interest. That’s what? 2 million an hour in interest alone. Lay you head on your pillow tonight and just think, by morning your children will owe another 12-16 million dollars when your alarm goes off. Hit the snooze bar? That’s 300 grand in interest alone.

trubble on February 4, 2009 at 6:46 PM

That clock kind of pisses me off.

It assumes the burden is spread evenly.

It isn’t.

blatantblue on February 4, 2009 at 6:46 PM

genso, hey, that’s a good idea. you think Obama might take you up on that offer?

funky chicken on February 4, 2009 at 6:47 PM

No wonder Maverick’s ready to kill it.

So, he’s comfortable with 1 million/day since the death of christ (700 billion), but not the birth?

Nuance.

lorien1973 on February 4, 2009 at 6:50 PM

funky chicken on February 4, 2009 at 6:47 PM

We might have to “convince” him to do it, but I think if we expect to stop this slide to socialism, we’re going to have to “convince” more than a few to change their ways. Maybe an island country with no air strip or port.

genso on February 4, 2009 at 6:51 PM

McConnell made a great line, but it’s actually an understatement. 2008 years times 365 days/yr = 732,920 days. Add in 502 leap-year days, minus 15 days for years divisible by 100 but not by 400, then add 41 days from December 25 to February 4, results in 733,448 days, or $733.448 billion at a million a day since the birth of Christ.

Just imagine what Jesus could have done with a million a day, even if He didn’t multiply loaves and fishes. A lot better than Congress! But then Jesus would have the fish pay taxes (see Matthew 17:27), since Cabinet officers don’t!

Steve Z on February 4, 2009 at 6:54 PM

Or $50,000,000,000 per day since the Messiah got sworn in.

Electing Dummycrats to office gets expensive real fast.

Norwegian on February 4, 2009 at 6:55 PM

:puke:

Oh, sorry, that emoticon doesn’t work at HA….

ladyingray on February 4, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Democrats: Render unto Caesar!!!

Steve Z on February 4, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Think of the children!
Randy

williars on February 4, 2009 at 7:03 PM

That $750 billion is also what you’d get if put $0.01 in a hypothetical account at Christ’s birth if that account had a meager 1.6% annual interest rate. Of course, Christ wouldn’t like the whole “earning interest” aspect of it….

calbear on February 4, 2009 at 7:04 PM

It is uncanny how large this amount is. I couldn’t believe the 700 billion they just asked for. This amount is more than the entire Iraq War in one shot.

The amazing thing is how indignant the politicians are toward companies that are going out of business. If the companies could just print money, they wouldn’t need the government.

I hope that the executives of these companies go on strike to protest the 500,000 pay that they will be forced to take. If I was an executive used to getting 10 mil/year, and you cut me to 500,000 to fix everything, I’d laugh and retire.

ThackerAgency on February 4, 2009 at 7:05 PM

My spidey sense says that moonbats are going to go frothin’.

1. Jesus Christ mentioned on the Senate floor.

2. Great way to demonstrate the porkulus bill to the average American.

jukin on February 4, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Gonna be a nice community,

in the Village when,all

the spending gets done!
——————–

And,it must be the Liberal
analogy that the ‘One’,is
more popular than the Beattles,
and more popular than Jesus theme!

canopfor on February 4, 2009 at 7:09 PM

If you put the company in a position in which it needed to rely on government help for rescue, I’d say your retirement was likely a good thing.

calbear on February 4, 2009 at 7:10 PM

genso on February 4, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Given the current economic situation, maybe we could just chip in for a big ant farm and he could ‘organize’ it

Red State State of Mind on February 4, 2009 at 7:11 PM

calbear on February 4, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Teminds me of the old line in college..
Jesus Saves
Moses Invests
Mohammed Prophets

Equal Opportunity non PC humor ‘back in the day’

Red State State of Mind on February 4, 2009 at 7:13 PM

calbear on February 4, 2009 at 7:10 PM

I don’t think that’s how it works in DC and NYC. Note all of the Clinton insiders on the Obama team. Connections mean more than accomplishment. There are plenty of overseas companies that would pay bigger money than Obama to have these guys and patriotism won’t be a factor. I’m thinking we’ll see a brain drain soon.

genso on February 4, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Red State State of Mind on February 4, 2009 at 7:11 PM

I like your idea better and I’ve actually still have enough money to buy him an ant farm.

genso on February 4, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Dude, I’m a Jew and I’m totally into Darwin. You shouldn’t get locked into some silly war with the religious bigots. To anyone with good reading interpretation skills, there is no conflict between Bereshit, which the Christians call Genesis, and Darwin.

thuja on February 4, 2009 at 7:20 PM

I’m thinking we’ll see a brain drain soon.

These are the brains that couldn’t figure out that home prices could actually fall, not just rise. An executive at a company not at the government trough will make plenty. An executive at a company requiring “exceptional” government assistance will have to settle for equity (in the form of options), which, incidentally, is the way many executives are primarily compensated anyway. Unless they think American companies can’t make money anymore, there’s no reason to leave (and, if companies can’t, getting rid of a salary cap isn’t going to change things…).

calbear on February 4, 2009 at 7:20 PM

I’m thinking we’ll see a brain drain soon.

genso on February 4, 2009 at 7:14 PM

That’s the point. Why isn’t Madoff in jail? Because he’s the only one who knows where the money is. There are only a few people who are capable of running these massive companies (evidenced by how many have failed).

You might ‘hate’ these executives who may or may not have had a hand in the downfall of their companies. . . but replacing them might not make the situation better. . . it might just create a generation of failed American companies with poor executives.

ThackerAgency on February 4, 2009 at 7:22 PM

A few thousand years here a few thousand years there soon your talking about real money.

thmcbb on February 4, 2009 at 7:24 PM

That’s the difference between oratory and accounting!

Just imagine what Jesus could have done with a million a day

I think Christ did pretty well with what little he had.

highhopes on February 4, 2009 at 7:28 PM

calbear on February 4, 2009 at 7:20 PM

This is true only if you accept the idea that the government should have bailed these guys out to begin with. And you are using morals to make your argument. These guys have none like you. Also, they made a huge amount of money for many years. They will be courted by other banks outside of the US government’s control.

genso on February 4, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Red State State of Mind on February 4, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Or a packet of those sea monkeys! ;-0

Just kidding, Obama would even screw up brine shrimp production.

highhopes on February 4, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Notice how, on CNN,the fun and creative
ways to show what a Trillion dollars looks
like!

There’s no way,a Republican Administration would
spend a Trillion Dollars in such a short period,
unless its worthwhile like military equipment,but
my point would be,would CNN,if a Republican Admin.
spent a Trillion,still show this campy style segment?

canopfor on February 4, 2009 at 7:34 PM

It’s not about money.

It’s about power.

They want it, and they don’t mind bankrupting multiple generations to get it.

notagool on February 4, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Chortle!

Bob's Kid on February 4, 2009 at 7:37 PM

It’s not about money.

It’s about power.

They want it, and they don’t mind bankrupting multiple generations to get it.

notagool on February 4, 2009 at 7:35 PM

That pretty much sums it up. All other arguments are moot.

genso on February 4, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Whats needed, is C-130′s packed on the ramp,
that will rival the ‘Berlin Airlift’,stuffed
full of ‘Sham Wow’s,then drop the sham wow’s
on the Treasury,

so it slows down,this Liberal Orgy of Spending!!!!!!haha.

canopfor on February 4, 2009 at 7:44 PM

One trillion dollars is so much money that even Bill Gates would have to apply for a loan.

keep the change on February 4, 2009 at 7:44 PM

I think Christ did pretty well with what little he had.

highhopes on February 4, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Christ worked miracles with five loaves and two fishes. Let’s give Obama the same and see what the Twenty-First Century Messiah can do.

Wethal on February 4, 2009 at 7:59 PM

The ruskies is doing the opposite.

“Moscow also plans huge budget cuts in an attempt to limit its fiscal deficit – rejecting pressure to follow the US and other western countries to try to stimulate the economy with a big boost in public borrowing.”

the_nile on February 4, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Or a packet of those sea monkeys! ;-0

highhopes on February 4, 2009 at 7:30 PM

I picked an Ant Farm because it has a proletariat and a ruler…or did I miss that day in Biology class?

Red State State of Mind on February 4, 2009 at 8:06 PM

The amount is sickening and staggering. I am all for stimulus (read incentives): tax breaks for buying cars, tax breaks for buying real estate (for first or second homes, no flippers, please! I’m a Realtor), decrease in tax rates for just about everyone. But NO,NO,NO to this other silly chit, touchy-feely garbage. I’ll forgo my tax break for installing a “green” water heater, thank you very much.

Chewy the Lab on February 4, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Christ wouldn’t like the whole “earning interest” aspect of it….
calbear on February 4, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Help me here to understand if you mean Jesus Christ or the oft ill-used moniker of our sitting President. If you meant Jesus Christ then let me share this parable with you. Skip ahead to verse 14.

ericdijon on February 4, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Red State State of Mind on February 4, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Plus, there’s that crunch sensation that one gets from squishing an ant that appeals to the discriminating dictator.

genso on February 4, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Is the math really that daunting that they need to bring a mathematician on the show, or cite NASA’s website?

chansen9 on February 4, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Why Darwin? Is he the pinnacle of atheist sub-dieties? He wasn’t even atheist.

jgapinoy on February 4, 2009 at 9:01 PM

So anyone who disagrees with your interpretation of Bereshit (Genesis) is a bigot? Seems like you’re trying to start a “war”.

jgapinoy on February 4, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Wow. Did CNN really need to find a mathematician to check that calculation?

alflauren on February 4, 2009 at 9:16 PM

genso on February 4, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Illegal Aunt in Boston = OK with Dear Leader
Worker Ant who questions his assigned compensation = Not Ok with Dear Leader

Red State State of Mind on February 4, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Let’s give Obama the same and see what the Twenty-First Century Messiah can do.

I watched the Super Bowl post-game show, hoping to see someone thank Jesus Christ as Kurt Warner would have if the Cards had won. Instead, the Steeler’s Rooney thanked his messiah: BHO.

jgapinoy on February 4, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Illegal Aunt in Boston = OK with Dear Leader
Worker Ant who questions his assigned compensation = Not Ok with Dear Leader

Plethora of Dem pols who didn’t pay their taxes = OK with Dear Leader.
Joe the Plumber not paying his taxes = not OK with Dear Leader.

jgapinoy on February 4, 2009 at 9:21 PM

jgapinoy on February 4, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Actually, I’m just a plant here trying to drive up HotAir traffic with yet another debate about evolution. Maybe we should just admit that Pavlov not Darwin is most important biologist ever?

thuja on February 4, 2009 at 9:30 PM

I noticed that CNN et al, are dimming the public down to the actual cost of what a Trillion dollars actually means………

………… yet the pure journalistic professionalism of exposing what is in the actual bill is missing.

Go figure……..

Seven Percent Solution on February 4, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Soooo…. a Trillion at a million a day… takes us back to…

THIS IS SPARTA!

Romeo13 on February 4, 2009 at 9:45 PM

most important biologist ever?

Pasteur.

jgapinoy on February 4, 2009 at 9:47 PM

McConnell’s bit about spending from Jesus’ birth was on The Daily Show last night, of all places.

Tzetzes on February 4, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Three contractors are bidding to fix a broken fence at the White House. One is from Chicago, another is from Tennessee, and the third is from Minnesota.

All three go with a White House official to examine the fence. The Minnesota contractor takes out a tape measure and does some measuring, then works some figures with a pencil. “Well,” he says, “I figure the job will run about $900: $400 for materials, $400 for my crew and $100 profit for me.”

The Tennessee contractor also does some measuring and figuring, then says, “I can do this job for $700: $300 for materials, $300 for my crew and $100 profit for me.”

The Chicago contractor doesn’t measure or figure, but leans over to the White House official and whispers, “$2,700.”

The official, incredulous, says, “You didn’t even measure like the other guys! How did you come up with such a high figure?”

The Chicago contractor whispers back, “$1000 for me, $1000 for you, and we hire the guy from Tennessee to fix the fence.”

“Done!” replies the government official.

And that, my friends, is how the new stimulus plan will work.

Mr. Joe on February 4, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Our economy is still a powerful economic engine? Not according to Oslime-a and the MSM…..

Oslime-a exploited the fact that McCain was too chicken shit to stand by his guns when he said the basis of the economy is OK.

csdeven on February 4, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Mr. Joe on February 4, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Good illustration.
I think I’m going to have a good cry now. Bye.

jgapinoy on February 5, 2009 at 12:03 AM

If we started 2000 years ago spending $15.84 each and every second we’d still not have spend all of a trillion dollars.

herself on February 5, 2009 at 2:58 AM

Thanks AP, I was gonna ask… =)

Summer on February 5, 2009 at 3:10 AM

This might be a nice esoteric quote by McConnell. Is he really saying that the bill is never going to happen?

LevStrauss on February 5, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Much obliged. :)

Enrique on February 5, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Three guys have a dog and they are arguing about who’s is best. They are an Accountant, an Engineer and a Congressman. They take their dogs into the woods. First one up is the Accountant. He throws 6 sticks into the woods and says Balance Sheet fetch. Balance Sheet runs into the woods brings the six sticks back and lines them up I II III. The Engineer picks up 12 sticks, throws them into the woods and says Slide Rule fetch. Slide Rule brings the 12 sticks back and builds a perfect pyramid. The Congressman says, watch this. He throws one stick into the woods and says Expense Account fetch. Expense Account runs into the woods, buries the stick comes back, screws the other two dogs and takes the rest of the afternoon off…

sabbott on February 5, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Just FYI, I think there are a lot of atheists who read this site, we’re jut not the Richard Dawkins-type atheists who feel the need to shove it down everyone’s throat 24/7.

Clark1 on February 5, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Dude… Grampa Munster called, he wants his hair back.

Sinner on February 5, 2009 at 11:43 AM

My God! My poor kids, my poor grandkids!!

4shoes on February 6, 2009 at 3:32 PM