The world has noticed the Obama hypocrisy on lobbyists

posted at 1:15 pm on February 2, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Too bad the American media hasn’t kept as close an eye on Barack Obama and his promises to clean up government as the Times of India has.  Noting that Obama has already issues 17 exceptions to his no-lobbyist rules in the first two weeks of his inauguration, they wonder how it could worse:

It is easy to project yourself as a clean politician after making your debut in South Side Chicago with buddies like Rahm Emanuel. US president Obama has appointed more than 17 lobbyists after talking big on anti-lobbyist Governance and rooting corruption out of the American Government.

Dreams are dreams. Facts are facts. President Obama is surrounded by corrupt lobbyists ready to sell America cheap. …

Take the example of the newest exposure of doubletalk from Obama! After calling for clean Governance, he appoints a Treasury Secretary who “forgot” to pay for his ‘business tax’ for years! Tom Daschle, a top lobbyist in Washington, who has amended his U.S. tax forms to pay back taxes with interest, is now Obama’s best choice for America’s chief health official. …

Would you believe, Obama had to issue 17 waivers on his own rule in less than two weeks for allowing lobbyist enter his Administration and control Governance of America!

Well, that’s Hope and ChangeTM, isn’t it?  When anyone has to issue more than a waiver a day on any standard, it ceases being a standard and becomes a joke.  The no-lobbyist rule has become just that — an ironic joke on all of the saps who fell for Obama’s populist pap over the last two years.

Why do we have to go to the Times of India to hear how many exceptions to this rule Obama has invoked?  If the Bush administration had publicly imposed such a restriction on itself and then quietly ignored it, we’d hear endless editorials about Bush’s hypocrisy and the influence of the rich and powerful on his administration.  We heard exactly that when Dick Cheney assembled a group of advisors, without government positions or enforcement authority, to help him build an energy policy during the first term.  Some watchdog groups went to court to force Cheney to reveal their names so that they could make that exact point.

But Obama appointing lobbyist after lobbyist to government positions, with enforcement power, despite his promise not to do that at all?  Crickets chirp among the American media.  I guess they’ve outsourced their Truth-to-Power divisions to India.

Comments

Outsourcing American media oversight to India?

Under the jitney with them!

Y-not on February 2, 2009 at 1:17 PM

How can I get a subscription?

fogw on February 2, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Well i get there help when i have a computer problem, might as well get my news to.

MDWNJ on February 2, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Doesn’t the Times of India know that Barack H. Obama is our sacred cow?

SKYFOX on February 2, 2009 at 1:21 PM

American Orthodoxy Press

Mark30339 on February 2, 2009 at 1:21 PM

I am getting that deja vu feeling all over again. We saw the Clinton’s preside over one of most corrupt adminstration in the country’s history while the press flacked for him and buried the story. Republicans battered their heads against the w3all for eight years to no effect. I am not going to do that again and I don’t know what will be successful. The conventional media will continue to act as propaganda agent and frankely the Internet is too politically fragmented to have effect.

jerryofva on February 2, 2009 at 1:26 PM

But I’m sure he will have international credibility when negotiating in American interests….

cs89 on February 2, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Slumdog Journalism trumps Obama journalism.

portlandon on February 2, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Nice.

Now when I call my local cable company, I can talk to their service adviser “Dave” for help with my internet connectivity problem AND find out what is really happening with the Ogabe administration.

Bishop on February 2, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Doesn’t the Times of India know that Barack H. Obama is our sacred cow?

SKYFOX on February 2, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Indians got no respect for other cultures , HATECRIME, UN will handle this.

the_nile on February 2, 2009 at 1:28 PM

My newspaper subscription ended Saturday, so I need a new rag to use for drop clothe and paper mache projects…maybe the Times of India will fit the bill.

kirkill on February 2, 2009 at 1:28 PM

The Indians stopped Alexander and sent him packing. Looks like they might be up to their old tricks.

Limerick on February 2, 2009 at 1:29 PM

But Europe loves us again!

Badger40 on February 2, 2009 at 1:30 PM

But Europe loves us again!

Badger40 on February 2, 2009 at 1:30 PM

More importantly (not), Venezuela is our staunch ally again!

kirkill on February 2, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Where’s our token libs on the site to discredit everything about this article? No comment from them yes, mysteriously.

Kelligan on February 2, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Where’s our token libs on the site…
Kelligan on February 2, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Signing up for community service?

Limerick on February 2, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Nice.

Bishop on February 2, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Good one, Bishop.

While you’re talking to “dave”, maybe you can mention that their journalists use too many exclamation points. Top of the Muffin To You!!!

But at least the subtance is there. The “journalists” here in the US might know how to punctuate, but they have no idea how to think critically.

UltimateBob on February 2, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Welcome to the new age of Blackwhite Journalism.

Loxodonta on February 2, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Mediahack is waiting for another Palin thread before commenting; you won’t find him on this one.

Bishop on February 2, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Ya see, the NY Times/ABC/NBC/CBS/CNN dosen’t have the large staffs of the old days. That being the case, they had to make a “business” decision to only cover Republicans who allegedly have legal/ethics issues. They just don’t have the staff to report on Democrats who break the law. If they must cover wayward Democrats, they try to save money by limiting the use of the (D).

perroviejo on February 2, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Don’t subscribe to that rag to fast. While I laud this one, I found one referring to George W Bush “neocon facists”. The reporters are confused about who is on the Facist team and who is not.

dogsoldier on February 2, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Compare and contrast with the BBC’s Justin Webb’s piercing analysis of Obama’s pathetic ‘outreach’ to the Muslim world, and to Iran in particular:

Obama’s not weak, naive or desperate to be liked, you understand – he’s cunning and sophisticated!

EnglishMike on February 2, 2009 at 1:44 PM

“Bush Administration’s was 95″

Screw him.

Ryan Gandy on February 2, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Venezuela is our staunch ally again!

kirkill on February 2, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Yay! Free parrots & home heating oil for everyone!

Badger40 on February 2, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Indians surely know Obama will favor Pakistan over India.

BrianA on February 2, 2009 at 1:50 PM

I don’t want the world to know.
I don’t want my soul to show,

Two faces have I-i-i (ya-ya).
Yi-yi-yi-yi-ya-ha-ha,
Ah-haha-hi-(ya-ya),
Ahh-ahh-(ya-ya).
Yi-yi-yi-yi-ya-ha-i.

(Two faces have I.)
Oh, no, no, no.
(One to win elections and the other to rule by.)
Ah, i-i-i.
(Two faces have I.
(One to win elections and the other to rule by.)
Ah-i-i.
(One to win elections and the other to rule by.)
Ah-i-i.

Ah-ah-i-(ya-ya),
Ah-i-(ya-ya),
Yi-yi-yi-yi-ya-ha-ha,
Ah-haha-hi-(ya-ya),
Ahh-ahhi-(ya-ya),
Yi-yi-yi-yi-ya-ha-i.

I pretend that I’m corruption free.
(Sha-la-lee.)
But my heart is owned for the lobbyists price.
(Sha-la-loo.)
I pretend that I’m corruption free.
(Sha-la-lee.)
But I’m living a lie.

Ah-i-(ya-ya),
Ah-i-(ya-ya),
Yi-yi-yi-yi-ya-ha-ha,
Ah-haha-hi-(ya-ya),
Ahh-ahhi-(ya-ya),
Yi-yi-yi-yi-ya-ha-i.
Two Face The One

MB4 on February 2, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Just words…

joepub on February 2, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Word is getting out even if it has to come through Foreign papers-Obama’s approval rating numbers are downspiraling. Will the MSM report it?

canditaylor68 on February 2, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Obama says:

“Screw you, I won.”

BacaDog on February 2, 2009 at 2:02 PM

jerryofva on February 2, 2009 at 1:26 PM

It’s worse than Clinton, I think. Obama and his synchophatic minions are Carter again, and on steroids.

We still have not recovered from Carter’s disaster of an administration, and now a very stupid majority of voting Americans are doing it again. On steroids.

The difference is, there is no Walter Commie-crite to force-fed the liberal schtik, and at least India is now sophisticated enough to see the BS oozing from DC. Now if we can just get AMERICANS to recognize the BS…

Oh, wait, the majority of them are stupid…my bad.

hbinva on February 2, 2009 at 2:02 PM

I’m not going to use a foreign news source to bash my pres.

tomas on February 2, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Oh, but Garth Brooks was invited to perform at his concert, and that means he’s bi-partisan! Why can’t you all just leave him alone?

[/sarc]

Ryan Gandy on February 2, 2009 at 2:10 PM

I’m not going to use a foreign news source to bash my pres.

tomas on February 2, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Well you certainly won’t find any US sources critical of him.

darwin on February 2, 2009 at 2:13 PM

NYT wanted to report on it, but when they tried to contact India, they were put on hold for 2 hours…

right2bright on February 2, 2009 at 2:18 PM

This shouldn’t surprise anyone. Although it does, it shouldn’t.

Running on an anti-lobbyist platform and then filling your staff full of lobbyists is a Democrat given. Blue states from seas to shining sea crumble from within and the people still keep voting Democrat. The donkeys have a much, much greater reputation than they deserve and it’s teflon. Sickening.

Grafted on February 2, 2009 at 2:18 PM

I’m not going to use a foreign news source to bash my pres.

tomas on February 2, 2009 at 2:08 PM

…and what facts are wrong in this report?
We will let the facts speak for themselves…and you can use them to bash the President.

right2bright on February 2, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Is it just me or do all of these “small” things that O does (lobbyist waivers, Daschle, Geitner, etc.) not have the potential to become a tsunami in 2 or 4 years? They don’t seem big now, but like a slow drip, over time the can have a big impact.

The biggest problem that O and the Dems have on their hands IMO will be their own words, which will fill campaign ads aplenty in the years to come. Do as I say, not as I do, etc. In a way, while O’s approval ratings and arrogance (and subsequent recklessness) may seem normal now, I think that it lays a mighty big trap for he and the Dems in 2010 and 2012 and maybe beyond.

Unlike many here, I still think that O will be defined by some unforeseen international incident and not his domestic actions. No one saw the Iran hostage crisis or 9/11, both of which defined the respective administrations. We’ll see.

volnation on February 2, 2009 at 2:20 PM

tomas on February 2, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Right…his hypocricy and deceipt are meaningless when (finally) pointed out by a foreign press.

He’s (kinda) black and so hopenchangy…can’t bash him!

Try not paying $100,000 in taxes and see how hopenchangy he is. You’ll be bashed. Or given a cabinet post.

hbinva on February 2, 2009 at 2:20 PM

deceipt, receipt, repeat…just words. deceit. sorry.

hbinva on February 2, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Interesting! I’d already noticed that many of the best stories I read were coming from UK Newspapers. I guess I’ll have to add the Times of India to that mix.

hawksruleva on February 2, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Our state of affairs is a product of the drug culture which was started in the 60′s by the left wing radicals that make up most of our news media and government today. It looks like drugs tend to turn people into left-wing ideologues, where they rationalize all their transgressions as the ends justifies the means.

DL13 on February 2, 2009 at 2:30 PM

YOu cant tarnish the reputation of the ONE

Even IF he is hiring

Every tax cheat
Surrounded by local terrorists
Buys off the local media and national media outlets.
Hires the clintons as secretary of state.

Sheesh you cannot find in the entire obama administration

1. average working person
2. a real man or woman of conscience.
3. a regular american WITHOUT an IRS problem
4. someone without some kind of scandle or criminal probe
e. All of the above
Answer: E

jcila on February 2, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Hey…were working on “improving the image” of the US on a global scale…haven’t any of ya`ll gotten the memo??? It seems as tho every minute we get new and ever more exciting news…gotta love it.

NY Conservative on February 2, 2009 at 3:29 PM

DL13 on February 2, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Some of us outgrow that and come to our senses.

cheeflo on February 2, 2009 at 3:33 PM

I want to say “Press hypocrisy is so passe’, we’ve read it a million times before,” but it really is necessary to keep on mentioning the nonstop parade of media malpractice. If we don’t keep pointing it out, we’ll all get used to it, and then it will seem as though it’s the normal way of things.

Thanks for persevering in a long, uphill battle.

philwynk on February 2, 2009 at 3:43 PM

DL13 on February 2, 2009 at 2:30 PM

It isn’t so much the drugs as it is the mentality that excuses drug-taking even though one knows it’s dangerous and illegal.

There’s something about the act of silencing one’s own conscience that affects one’s ability to reason. Once you’ve crossed the line into “I’m going to break the law,” your brain never stops generating excuses to cover what you know to be a moral wrong. Eventually it becomes a habit of mind, and then you’re lost.

philwynk on February 2, 2009 at 3:47 PM

44% approval rating,..Americans are starting to wake-up.

christene on February 2, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Where did you get 44% Christene?

Chuck Schick on February 2, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Dreams are dreams. Facts are facts.

Well, now we know the NYT won’t be outsourcing to them…

Jim Treacher on February 2, 2009 at 4:37 PM

It’s like Jake Tapper said- most of the American media reports on Obama from their knees. And just the other day Lauer did Obama from his knees.

drjohn on February 2, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Somehow, somewhere, an Obamaniac is trying to pin this on Rush Limbaugh….

Hog Wild on February 2, 2009 at 5:47 PM

The MSM has been the COA (Cover Obama’s Ass) media for a year.

Their Acronym Motto:

NSOBA.

No Scrutiny Of Barry Allowed.

profitsbeard on February 2, 2009 at 6:00 PM

canditaylor68 on February 2, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Probably not. The last MSM report I saw on Obama’s approval rating was a CNN one before the election; it said that Obama’s popularity is unprecedented and assured that the whole US of A is in nothing less than a love affair with Barack. Probably with Michelle, too.

ddrintn on February 2, 2009 at 6:01 PM

* before the Inauguration, not the election, oops.

ddrintn on February 2, 2009 at 6:01 PM

What no “death to Media Hacks” to tell us how this is all just a distraction?

I miss him…

/SUPER Sarc.

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on February 2, 2009 at 6:07 PM

jerryofva on February 2, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Cheer up, we may find that the Amercian Electorate has a 1994-like awakening during the mid terms.
Plus, I’d suggest that the Internet will play a bigger part in this than before given it’s reach and availability to most every American.

Red State State of Mind on February 2, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Doesn’t the Times of India know that Barack H. Obama is our sacred cow?

SKYFOX on February 2, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Shut down the comments, this one does it.

misterpeasea on February 2, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Doesn’t the Times of India know that Barack H. Obama is our sacred cow?

No wonder Israel doesn’t seem to like BHO. They learned their sacred cow lesson about 3700 years ago.

jgapinoy on February 2, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Ed,
That report you cited was NOT in the TimesOfIndia – its from a site called India Daily – ToI would never so boldly publish a critical piece about the World’s greatest rockstar “politician”

The author of the post is Adrian Nathan – thats no Indian name. although i should add, he was right on the money.

nagee76 on February 2, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Nice.

hahahahaha!

Alana on February 2, 2009 at 9:22 PM

jerryofva on February 2, 2009 at 1:26 PM

It’s the same rogue’s gallery back in power. About the only Democratic tenet Obama sticks to is recycling.

chunderroad on February 3, 2009 at 12:49 AM

Oh, great. India is like the guy who tries to explain to his female friend that her new boyfriend, despite all of his slick words, promises of love and chocolates and vacations, and pleadings that there is no one else, is actually a lying scumbag who is cheating on her.

Since Hollywood couldn’t put out “Atlas Shrugged” in time for this election, are we stuck making parallels to “He’s Just Not That Into You”?

Roxeanne de Luca on February 3, 2009 at 2:20 AM

Actually, in today’s NY Times they have an article that talks about this.

Obama’s Ethics Reform Promise Faces Early Test

syg6 on February 3, 2009 at 3:10 AM

Wasn’t Obama’s presidency meant to boost the global American brand?

misslizzi on February 3, 2009 at 7:09 AM

I think my unicorn just crapped all over my rainbow and it’s going to cost me a ton of hope & change to clean that sucker. I need something to believe in, again.

SKYFOX on February 3, 2009 at 8:05 AM

Yeah, I remember when President-elect Bill Clinton said he would have the most ethical administration in history. I guess it’s all in the meaning of “ethical”, “administration” and “history.”
Trouble of it is, there are too many people who should know better still buy this phony garbage.

abcurtis on February 3, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Well, in the first place, lobbying is constitutionally protected. And lobbyists know government inside and out, what strings to pull, what palms to grease and what chests to poke, what tummies to rub. It makes sense for an outsider like Obama to have insiders around who know what’s going on.
And really did anybody believe this guy when he said “no lobbyists”? In a word, No.

abcurtis on February 3, 2009 at 10:32 AM