Young American hero caught behaving like, er, young American

posted at 9:05 pm on January 31, 2009 by Allahpundit

He’s a 23-year-old male crashing a campus house party. What are the odds?

Best comment from the Headlines thread comes from JWF, who notes that with Phelps’s massive lung capacity, this could be the most monster bong hit of all time. Did he bogart the whole bowl in one toke?

It was on November 6, weeks after his Beijing triumph, that 23-year-old Phelps surprised students at the University Of South Carolina in Columbia by showing up unannounced at a house party…

The US Olympics Committee, who have pledged to clamp down on drug use, refused to comment, as did USA Swimming and Phelps’ coach Bob Bowman.

More surprising still was the World Anti-Doping Agency’s refusal to comment, given that they introduced the four-year ban on sport’s drug users…

Spokesman Clifford Bloxham offered us an extraordinary deal not to publish our story, saying Phelps would become our columnist for three years, host events and get his sponsors to advertise with us.

In return, he asked that we kill Phelps’ bong picture. Bloxham said: “It’s seeing if something potentially very negative for Michael could turn into something very positive for the News of the World.”

People are arguing that it’s not really him in the photo, but would the News of the World drop that detail about his spokesman in there if it wasn’t true? Remember, libel laws in the UK are much looser than they are here. Exit question: Given the fact the IOC’s never had a big problem with cheating and that Phelps’s absence from the 2012 Games would mean tens of millions of dollars in lost ad revenue, what are the odds that they’ll revisit the rules about a four-year ban for dope before then?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

“Don’t Hide it……..

…………Divide it”!

Seven Percent Solution on Jan 31,2009 at 9:56PM.

Seven Percent Solution: SPS,that sounds a tad like
the theme of Obama’s Admin.

Tax the Rich,Divide the Right!

Or sumpin like dat!!:)

canopfor on January 31, 2009 at 10:41 PM

However, people are now denying him his due because of one of his personal habits.

MadisonConservative on January 31, 2009 at 10:31 PM

And this is a surprise?

Look, the argument for whether marijuana should be legal is not relevant here. Right now it’s illegal.

Neither is the argument for whether it’s “right” or not for others to judge him over his “personal habits.” Right now, that’s how things happen.

Thus the ‘stupidity’ of what he did.

No one should be at all surprised if this incident (if it IS him) costs him millions in corporate sponsorships.

This isn’t rocket science, it’s reality.

Religious_Zealot on January 31, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Good for him. He’s done nothing but train for so long. Let him have some fun now.

Ampersand on January 31, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Is it just me or oo Cheetos

MirCat on January 31, 2009 at 10:42 PM

I forgot to add a link to “a friend of mine” in my 10:40 post. That friend was a Mistahhhh Buckley.

MadisonConservative on January 31, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Thus the ’stupidity’ of what he did.

Religious_Zealot on January 31, 2009 at 10:42 PM

So should he lose all those millions in sponsorships if he gets a speeding ticket? Or is cited for jaywalking? They’re illegal, and carry roughly the same consequences.

MadisonConservative on January 31, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Ampersand on January 31, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Spoken like a true Bode Miller supporter.

Gabe on January 31, 2009 at 10:45 PM

allowed to be on their high horse. I’d call that a win-win.

justfinethanks on January 31, 2009 at 10:40 PM

What’s with the “high horse” thing? Who is to say that YOU aren’t the one on the “high horse”?

surrounded on January 31, 2009 at 10:45 PM

MadisonConservative on January 31, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Let me take another crack at this from another angle.

Just what, EXACTLY, is “due” him?

What exactly do we “owe” him just because he can swim faster than anybody?

And if we’re supposed to engage in hero worship because of his deeds…

…then doesn’t HE owe US to act properly – to act like a hero?

And if he doesn’t, why don’t we have the right to turn away from him?

I thought conservatives were all about taking responsibility for one’s actions?

Religious_Zealot on January 31, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Kaptain Amerika on January 31, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Hemp grows wild in much of the south east but its not smokable unless you want a head ache from hell. The smokable varieties came from the middle east and south asia where they have been used for millinia.

goat on January 31, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Your family is normal. Anyone who had a family without weirdness was the one with the strange family.

MadisonConservative on January 31, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Oh God..amen.

surrounded on January 31, 2009 at 10:46 PM

MadisonConservative on January 31, 2009 at 10:44 PM

I wasn’t aware that drug possession carried the same punishment as a speeding ticket.

(Do you get points on your license for smoking weed?)

That sounds a whole lot like moral relativism to me.

Religious_Zealot on January 31, 2009 at 10:46 PM

(Do you get points on your license for smoking weed?)

That sounds a whole lot like moral relativism to me.

Religious_Zealot on January 31, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Sorry, but this argument defines moral relativism.

surrounded on January 31, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Because he’s going to LOSE millions in endorsements and probably another chance to be in the national spotlight. Hence the “loser” part of it.

jimmy the notable on January 31, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Rosetta Stoned.

Terrie on January 31, 2009 at 10:53 PM

I guess that explains why he comes off as such a slow-witted dufus.

Buddahpundit on January 31, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Religious_Zealot on January 31, 2009 at 10:45 PM

I also though freewill was also a large part of conservative thought. The guy is a phenomenal swimmer not some kind of hero like a guy who jumps on a grenade to save his platoon mates. And yes in many states marijuana possesion is treated as a lesser crime than speeding. Speeding can endanger lives besides your own.

goat on January 31, 2009 at 10:57 PM

(Do you get points on your license for smoking weed?)

That sounds a whole lot like moral relativism to me.

Religious_Zealot on January 31, 2009 at 10:46 PM

It’s not moral relativism. Just like speeding, cops will usually let you go if you have an ounce for personal use with a warning. A second time, they’ll give you a ticket that is usually about the same amount of money as going 12 miles over the speed limit. And in some states, they actually have discussed putting points on the driver’s license as a further “deterrent” for such crimes.

And before you ask, no, I’m not speaking from personal experience. I’m speaking about what’s happened to people I know (I live in Madison, Wisconsin after all), and from what I’ve learned from my fiancee who majored in Criminal Justice and her father, the district attorney.

Just what, EXACTLY, is “due” him?

What exactly do we “owe” him just because he can swim faster than anybody?

Aren’t conservatives the people who show respect for those who actually accomplish things? Like McCain versus Obama? I will say for representing our nation at a world event where he earned the highest achievement you can get, we owe him better than to throw a fit over the guy taking a hit off a single marijuana joint since, and a lot of people seem to be missing this, that’s all we’re aware of.

And if we’re supposed to engage in hero worship because of his deeds…

…then doesn’t HE owe US to act properly – to act like a hero?

Religious_Zealot on January 31, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Um, no. He already is a hero. He already accomplished a great feat. To forget about that because he indulged in a personal habit that you disapprove of is stunning.

MadisonConservative on January 31, 2009 at 10:57 PM

MadisonConservative on January 31, 2009 at 10:57 PM

Well said

goat on January 31, 2009 at 11:06 PM

goat on January 31, 2009

regardless of where it grows wild, it’s all illegal.

Kaptain Amerika on January 31, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Spoken like a true Bode Miller supporter.

Gabe on January 31, 2009 at 10:45 PM

I have no clue who that it and therefore son’t know if I should be offended or not. So….

1- F*&# you man!

or

2- Thanks dude.

You pick.

BTW- I hate the celeb culture in our country. If there’s anything we love more than watching someone like Phelp become a national icon it’s destroying him once he’s there.

It was stupid to get his picture taken. That being said, move on vultures. Go watch Refer Madness again. (FYI- get the one with Mike Nelson commentary. It’s highlarious)

Exit question. Did he proceed to run around in circles and then jump out a window after the bong hit?

Ampersand on January 31, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Kaptain Amerika on January 31, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Hemp grown for its fiber is not illegal and as far as I know never has been. Its like the salvia thing, one variety is a hallucinogen, others colorful flower garden additions and others go by the name of sage, a commonly used herb.

goat on January 31, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Ampersand on January 31, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Bode Miller: The Olympic “hero” for liberals and the phony “moderate” conservatives who support 23 year old, perpetual college freshman dunce Phelps.

Gabe on January 31, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Gabe on January 31, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Isn’t it perfectly indicative of where Phelps is headed that Ampersand had no idea who Bode Miller is?

jimmy the notable on January 31, 2009 at 11:25 PM

I love the whole “its against the law” thing..well so is speeding and such but I am sure none of you guys have ever done that.

EnochCain on January 31, 2009 at 11:28 PM

jimmy the notable on January 31, 2009 at 11:25 PM

so bode also won 14 gold medals?

Noneya on January 31, 2009 at 11:30 PM

jimmy the notable on January 31, 2009 at 11:25 PM

It could be, but to be honest I don’t follow or give 2 flips about Olympics.

Isn’t fame always relatively short lived for an Olympic star though. The only other Olympic stars I could name are Mary Lou Retton and the step-dad of that girl with a big butt and a reality show.

Ampersand on January 31, 2009 at 11:33 PM

so bode also won 14 gold medals?

Noneya on January 31, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Liberals are so dense. Bode Miller was an Olympic medal winner in 2002 that thought partying was more fun than than representing America. His behavior cost another skier that would have taken his role seriously from competing in the Olympics. He was a classic loser.

Phelps Bode Miller II also thinks he is above the law and cares nothing about being a role model. He should be banned from the 2012 Olympics. He is also incredibly stupid–a typical drunk and drug user. He just lost millions in current and future endorsements because he couldn’t grow up.

A 23-year old teacher or policeman or government worker would be fired for the same behavior as Phelps. So why again should Phelps be excused?

Gabe on January 31, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Ampersand on January 31, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Headline: Pot bad for memory.

- The Cat

MirCat on January 31, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Gabe on January 31, 2009 at 11:37 PM

so how many gold medals did he win again?

Noneya on January 31, 2009 at 11:40 PM

Don’t consider usage of recreational drugs any less moral than binging on a bunch of Cheetos or cheeseburgers. Whether you like it or not, both are unhealthy (although I do like Cheetos and burgers) and should not be consumed on a regular basis. However, IMHO, the gov’t has absolutely no right to say what can and can’t be legal.

Achilles on January 31, 2009 at 11:41 PM

have you been to the Pitchfork & Torch store yet Gabe? You’ll want to beat the rush.

Ampersand on January 31, 2009 at 11:41 PM

I would rather get in a car with a pothead than someone on prescription drugs for mood elevating. It seems the filters here won’t let me name them since two posts have been eaten.

goat on January 31, 2009 at 11:42 PM

Headline: Pot bad for memory.

- The Cat

What were we talking about again?

Oh yeah. Did you miss the part where I don’t follow or give 2 flips about Olympics? Pot makes you not care about the Olympics.

Honestly though, I haven’t spoked up in months. And then it was the 1st time in years.

Ampersand on January 31, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Pot has fewer carcinogens than tobbaco and is far less physically impairing than alcohol while being far less addictive.

goat on January 31, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Achilles on January 31, 2009 at 11:41 PM

No laws at all or are you just talking about fast food and dope?

a capella on January 31, 2009 at 11:45 PM

so how many gold medals did he win again?

Noneya on January 31, 2009 at 11:40 PM

Doesn’t matter. Let another swimmer who is serious about representing America and being a role model compete in 2012.

Gabe on January 31, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Are not freewill and a desire to keep government out of our personal lives still major planks of conservative thought, ie William Buckley?

goat on January 31, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Gabe on January 31, 2009 at 11:45 PM

I really don’t think most of America gives a crap. We just elected our third president in a row who smoked weed in his youth. Clearly the nation is pretty cool with it.

justfinethanks on January 31, 2009 at 11:49 PM

goat on January 31, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Not when it comes to smokable plants.

Nonfactor on January 31, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Gabe on January 31, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Most folks could care less if he hit some weed, steroids, meth, that’s a different story.

goat on January 31, 2009 at 11:51 PM

a capella on January 31, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Mostly fast food and dope. I hate it when I see fascist films out like Super Size Me and Bowling for Columbine; they really piss me off. If you’re implying I’m a libertarian, yes, I am…sort of. I think we need to keep organizations like the FDA, the FAA, and obviously, the U.S. Military under government control.

Achilles on January 31, 2009 at 11:52 PM

goat on January 31, 2009 at 11:42 PM

You’ve never seen cops have you? Hint, you better check under your seats.

What were we talking about again?

Apparently that’s a common effect.

Ampersand on January 31, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Were have I heard that before? Yeah any stoner I’ve ever known.

- The Cat

MirCat on January 31, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Nonfactor on January 31, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Buckley was for legalization of marijuana.

goat on January 31, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Gabe, take your sanctimonious BS and shove it straight up your ass. You and your buddy Zealot are fundamentalist tools and know as much about what it means to be a conservative as Bill Ayers.

MirCat, a guys who calls himself “The Cat” probably shouldn’t be calling anybody a dork. Know what I mean, brah?

dakine on January 31, 2009 at 11:56 PM

goat on January 31, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Hmmm, where is our right to use drugs in the Bill of Rights and the Constitution? Libertarians and liberals are so far removed from the government our Founding Fathers set up. Hello? The government has the Constitutional mandate to preserve order, and legalizing drugs would cause anarchy (as well as make a very stupid citizenry, like Phelps and Bode Miller).

Gabe on January 31, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Gabe on January 31, 2009 at 11:45 PM

so by your logic he wouldn’t have gotten a spot on last year’s team because he broke the law when he got a DUI after the 2004 Athens games. do I have that right?

Noneya on January 31, 2009 at 11:56 PM

What a shame. He trained so hard for so long and now he’s blowing off steam and screwing up his future. First the stripper on TMZ and now this…he’s just a dumb kid who has done nothing but train for years, and he needs someone looking out for him. His agent has made plenty of money off of him, he needs to take better care of him. (And don’t start commenting that I don’t know what I’m talking about, I DO – I have 2 sons, one of whom is a successful athlete, and when he started acting stupid, which EVERY kid does, d*mn straight his daddy and I straightened him out, in truly outrageous fashion, but that’s what it took to get his attention. And it works.)

JustTruth101 on January 31, 2009 at 11:56 PM

goat on January 31, 2009 at 11:47 PM/blockquote>

Hippies, the bastion of conservatism.

- The Cat

P.S. Buckley also lost his way conservative wise towards the end ya know.

MirCat on January 31, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Apparently that’s a common effect.

That was funny.

Were have I heard that before? Yeah any stoner I’ve ever known.

Really? You call people who smoke weed once in a 4 year period stoners?

Ampersand on January 31, 2009 at 11:58 PM

MirCat on January 31, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Yes I have seen cops and don’t remember seeing much of anything involving pot mostly crack and meth with a few drunks mixed in. Like I said legalize pot and use those resources to go after drugs that do real and permanent damage.

goat on January 31, 2009 at 11:59 PM

regardless of where it grows wild, it’s all illegal.

Kaptain Amerika on January 31, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Do you state that so strongly because you believe it or because you want to sound like an idiot?

Hemp is a textile still used in fibers, rope, etc. There are hemp fiber clothes manufactured and made in the US. Hempseed is used as birdseed and is reportedly a great source of protein.

Propaganda is a very successful tool. You prove that much.

And, no. I don’t smoke.

The Race Card on February 1, 2009 at 12:01 AM

JustTruth101 on January 31, 2009 at 11:56 PM

I agree. While I believe people should have the right to drugs like marijuana, marijuana (as I just mentioned) is much like a really greasy burger. Weed may not give you any physical addictions like cigarettes, but it IS more potent and more damaging to your lungs than cigarettes. Phelps should know this; he needs his lungs for his future. My argument is just that people have the RIGHT to drugs, not that they SHOULD DO them.

Achilles on February 1, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Where is your right to breathe air in the constitution?

Washington and Jefferson both grew hemp. Yeah, I know it was for making rope, but all the same if they tried that crap today they would be led away in handcuffs.

Besides your personal prejidices, you have absolutely no reason for believiing this. You are just another busybody nanny stater.

(as well as make a very stupid citizenry, like Phelps and Bode Miller)

Gabe on January 31, 2009 at 11:56 PM

It’s fine to think that, but last I checked it’s not a crime to be stupid.

justfinethanks on February 1, 2009 at 12:03 AM

MirCat on January 31, 2009 at 11:57 PM

A couple decades ago maybe but today not so much, more a crunchy con. Once you allow the government camel to get a nose into your life the rest of it will come barreling in.

goat on February 1, 2009 at 12:03 AM

And, no. I don’t smoke.

The Race Card on February 1, 2009 at 12:01 AM

But you still made me smile. You don’t need to, ’cause you’re naturally high :)

Entelechy on February 1, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Gabe on January 31, 2009 at 11:56 PM

are you for making alcohol illegal too? If no then why not?

Ampersand on February 1, 2009 at 12:04 AM

Good post justfine. Guys like that won’t be satisfied until their in a position to tell everybody how to live.

dakine on February 1, 2009 at 12:06 AM

Sorry, they’re, not their.

dakine on February 1, 2009 at 12:06 AM

justfinethanks on February 1, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Textile grade hemp is not illegal and never has been.

goat on February 1, 2009 at 12:08 AM

The government has the Constitutional mandate to preserve order, and legalizing drugs would cause anarchy.

Gabe on January 31, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Bull. That’s what they said about alcohol, and therefore outlawed it. Then it was re-legalized, and look at all the chaos, which, by the way, was what you meant. Anarchy simply means a government-less society. The phrase “chaos and anarchy” is used so often that people assume they’re synonyms, when they’re not.

Temperance groups are always trying to outlaw habits, and their only real motive is trying to control behavior.

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Noneya on January 31, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Phelps is a role model, especially now that he is a household name. Teachers are also role models. If a teacher would be fired for having pictures taken of them taking drugs, then Phelps should also be held accountable.

That is the difference between conservatives and liberals. Some people don’t believe in any accountability. That is how you can tell the difference between a real conservative, like Michelle Malkin, and a phony conservative (I won’t name names) that makes all kinds of excuses for unlawful behavior (“Young American hero caught behaving like, er, young American”).

Actually, how many 23 year olds are still attending college parties? The guy needs to grow up. In any case, he should no longer be a role model, he should lose his endorsements, and he should not be allowed to compete in 2012. That is accountability for his behavior.

Gabe on February 1, 2009 at 12:10 AM

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Yep seems there was far more chaos during prohibition than before or after, funny how that works.

goat on February 1, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Gabe on February 1, 2009 at 12:10 AM

You sound like a blast to hang out with.

Ampersand on February 1, 2009 at 12:12 AM

So Phelps is a major pothead! Cool..I’ll bet he mysteriously ‘sees the light’ now and comes down with some major BDS and Hopenchange…weed is the answer my friends…the ONLY answer..it cures every known form of cancer..and allows you to finally see the BLACK HELICOPTERS that are oppressing you! The unicorns are there if you only will open your mind and see them…

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:13 AM

Gabe, you’re a dope, and there’s no way you’re a conservative. “Accountability”, really? What the hell are you talking about? You’re a liberal and don’t know it. What a dipsh*t.

dakine on February 1, 2009 at 12:15 AM

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2009 at 12:08 AM

There is nothing unconstitutional about “trying to control behavior.” provided that the behavior is not a right given to us in the Constitution. It is up to the states for make laws that either grant or do not grant rights not specifically mentioned in the Constitution. And drug use is not a “right,” and the Founding Fathers would never have considered it to be either.

Gabe on February 1, 2009 at 12:15 AM

Actually, how many 23 year olds are still attending college parties?

Gabe on February 1, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Since the average college degree is being completed in five years instead of four, largely due to increased bureaucracy in the university system looking to suck more money out of students, plenty.

If we’re going to be keeping account of Phelps, let’s do it right here:

1. He’s been pictured using marijuana once(something 1 out of every 3 Americans has done).
2. He’s attained a record number of Olympic medals, while representing the United States(I think I could count the number of Americans who’ve done that on one hand).

There’s your balance sheet. Now use a little sense.

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2009 at 12:16 AM

If the medical marijuana advocates are right about their claims, this guy should have his medals taken away. As a pain killer, the drug may allow an athlete to compete with an unnatural fatigue factor.

Buddahpundit on February 1, 2009 at 12:18 AM

Gabe, you do understand that nicotine, alcohol and caffeine are drugs, right? These thing are all legal, as are any number of other “drugs”. Stop playing amateur constitutional scholar. You’re embarrassing yourself.

dakine on February 1, 2009 at 12:18 AM

Gabe on February 1, 2009 at 12:10 AM

So what if he took a couple tokes, it won’t show up in any drug tests a couple years from now. He is a phenomenal swimmer not some kind of hero like a guy who throws himself on a grenade to save his platoon buddies.

goat on February 1, 2009 at 12:19 AM

The unicorns are there if you only will open your mind and see them…

Nah. Weed doesn’t make you see stuff; it just makes you really paranoid and makes walking around harder. I don’t see what people really get out of it, but if the GOP wants to reach out to younger voters, advocating drug legalization will help. In a way, the legalization of marijuana is a “Nixon goes to China” sort of thing. If liberals do it, no one would be surprised. But if

conservatives

do it…

Achilles on February 1, 2009 at 12:19 AM

Gabe on February 1, 2009 at 12:15 AM

Actually, even things that are legal are not “rights”. There is no right to drive, or smoke, or chew gum.

However, the fact that you see nothing wrong with behavior control is frightening. What happened to the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? Are you saying you’re in favor of banning anything they can come up with? Fast food? Cigarettes? Rock music? Video games? None of those are “rights”. Lots of things aren’t rights. However, the government outlawing behavior that does not infringe on the rights of anyone else is definitely against the intentions of the Founding Fathers.

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2009 at 12:20 AM

This thread is one of those sad times when I am reminded how little conservatism has to do with being a Republican. So many Republicans are simpl-minded authoritarians who happen to dislike abortion and taxes. They’re the same types who easily disregard the rights of those with whom they disagree, simply because their perceived morality is more valuable than anothers freedom.

An ideal take on personal sovereignty would suggest that those of you trying to distinguish pot use from alcohol use are typical nanny-state hags. Many of you want the right to smoke tobacco in your car with your kid but believe others should be disallowed from smoking pot in their private homes. What a joke.

The Race Card on February 1, 2009 at 12:22 AM

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Good ol’ MadisonConservative. Always in arguments with wiseman and always standing up for freedom and liberty.

Achilles on February 1, 2009 at 12:24 AM

Buddahpundit on February 1, 2009 at 12:18 AM

Believe me, it is NOT a pain killer while NSAIDS, ibuprofen, are and are perfectly legal

goat on February 1, 2009 at 12:24 AM

Exactly Race Card. Exactly. Fundamentalist authoritarians such as Gabe and Zealot have absolutely no idea what it really means to be a conservative. The most pathetic aspect of their pathology is that they are either too stupid or too brainwashed to realize it.

dakine on February 1, 2009 at 12:25 AM

The Race Card on February 1, 2009 at 12:22 AM

I’m a libertarian on paper. I wish they wouldn’t run so many nutters.

Ampersand on February 1, 2009 at 12:26 AM

The Race Card on February 1, 2009 at 12:22 AM

I only ask one question of you…why do most pot-headed ‘libertarians’ I know…well, all of them actually…endorse socialistic policies and are paranoid as shit about the the ‘Bush Neocon’ concentration camps…and will then explain to you that you have no right to smoke tobacco or drink alcohol because it’s really bad for the children?

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:27 AM

Gabe on February 1, 2009 at 12:15 AM

You mean aside from alcohol and tobacco, right? Are you daft man? Tobacco is one the most toxic consumables known to man. Heroin, Cocaine, Pot, LSD, Ecstasy were all legal at some point. So was laudenum.

Are you so rigid in your limited scope of understanding that legality determines your entire worldview? Oral sex used to be illegal in lots of places, so did anal. You can’t spit on the ground in some places or listen to loud music in others.

Avoid sharp objects.

The Race Card on February 1, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Everyone still hanging around this thread is dumber for having read your last post AUINSC. WTF are you even talking about?

dakine on February 1, 2009 at 12:32 AM

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:27 AM

You must live in San Francisco otherwise I have no idea since every pothead I know is conservative on all three legs social, fiscal and security.

goat on February 1, 2009 at 12:33 AM

Race Card, guessing Gabe lives his very small life out of a book. “Literally”, if you know what I mean. He likely wants to force the rest of us to do the same.

dakine on February 1, 2009 at 12:34 AM

The Race Card on February 1, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Right on. You are a curious one, though, Race Card. Are you a conservative, a libertarian, or a liberal. I’m just curious.

Achilles on February 1, 2009 at 12:35 AM

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:27 AM

This has not happened in real life even once to anyone ever, and if you think it has you are either lying, delusional, or you weren’t really talking to libertarians. I can’t even imagine what a libertarian who gives a shit about children would look like.

justfinethanks on February 1, 2009 at 12:35 AM

goat on February 1, 2009 at 12:33 AM

Nope, guess again! Every weed-head I know seems to care about only one thing..weed!

Me: So, you love your liberty and care about the freedoms you enjoy in America…

Weedhead: Yeah, totally..

Me: So, you think government should stay out of your life and let you live to your fullest potential?

Weedhead: Dude, that I am totally down with that!

Me: So who are you going to vote for on November 4th?

Weedhead: Dude, I’m totally voting for Obama..because of the hope and happiness he will bring…plus he smokes weed!!!! How cool is that?

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:38 AM

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:27 AM

Is this your argument? You offer hypothetical consideration to fabled group of people. Really?

I’m going to ask you to read your question again then either restate it or simply hang your head in shame?

The Race Card on February 1, 2009 at 12:38 AM

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:27 AM

Somewhere along the lines, I think when both parties started going south, being libertarian became “chic”, even though a lot of them didn’t know what it meant. But to give you some perspective on how beaten up that label has gotten, both David Duke, Klansmen mouthpiece, Hitler worshipper, Holocaust denier and Dinner Jacket drinking buddy…and Kevin Barrett, a Madison university professor who was considered so loony about 9-11 conspiracy theories that the 9-11 “truther” movement actually disowned him…both considered themselves libertarian.

Like some others here, I would consider re-associating myself if it weren’t filled with nuts like Ron Paul. Bob Barr isn’t a total nut, but he’s still a couple of cans short of a six-pack.

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2009 at 12:39 AM

This has not happened in real life even once to anyone ever

Really? You’ve asked everyone in real life throughout all of history then? That seems to be what you are saying..but don’t let me put words in your mouth…It’s happened to me a lot…who’s delusional?

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:39 AM

Ooops. One too many question marks. I beg your pardon.

The Race Card on February 1, 2009 at 12:41 AM

justfinethanks on February 1, 2009 at 12:35 AM

There are quite a number or so-called “libertarian socialists” out there. Seems kind of oxymoronic to me, but perhaps AUINSC has encountered a number of self-proclaimed “libertarians” that are really just socialists. I can’t make much of his rant, really, but I’m not gonna put him down because I’m not that kind of person.

Achilles on February 1, 2009 at 12:41 AM

You offer hypothetical consideration to fabled group of people. Really?

I’ve met these people..they are only fabled to you.

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:41 AM

Well, I don’t accept the premise that all Americans are potheads. Nor do I accept that smoking pot is a harmless activity. So I think it is completely correct that he should be humiliated for this- it’s part of what has to be done to ensure that kids don’t follow his example.

However, I’m not sure how anti-doping regulations in sports comes into the equation. Marijuana “dope” is not the same as the “dope” used to cheat in sporting events.

In fact I know of no reason why an athlete would want to use marijuana- his personal trainer is probably pissed at him right now.

Anti-doping rules are to prevent cheating… are there also rules about recreational drugs that do not enhance performance? I guess I could understand if there are, but I wouldexpect the punishments to be much more lenient.

Sackett on February 1, 2009 at 12:42 AM

Ooops. One too many question marks. I beg your pardon.

The Race Card on February 1, 2009 at 12:41 AM

So I freaked you out with 2 question marks…cool!

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:42 AM

AUINSC

I have also met such people- but as a libertarian myself I do not accept them as libertarians, and suggesting they represent all libertarians is simply wrong.

Sackett on February 1, 2009 at 12:43 AM

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:39 AM

If someone is in favor of social programs and putting limits on booze and tobacco and calls themselves libertarian, then they are deeply confused on what libertarian means.

Imagine for a moment I said “Hey, why is it that every conservative I’ve ever met always keeps a copy of the communist manifesto on them and constantly blabs on how they hate bush and how carter was the greatest president ever?” That’s about as absurd as the story you are telling.

justfinethanks on February 1, 2009 at 12:43 AM

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:38 AM

I’m going to go ahead and call B.S. on your “weedhead” stories. Or you just hang out with stupid people.

Ampersand on February 1, 2009 at 12:44 AM

Ampersand on February 1, 2009 at 12:44 AM

So?

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:44 AM

You’ve asked everyone in real life throughout all of history then?

You’ve gone from dimwitted adult to slow, children at play. You’re regressing faster than Benjamin Button.

The Race Card on February 1, 2009 at 12:46 AM

justfinethanks on February 1, 2009 at 12:43 AM

That’s not the story I’m telling you at all.

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:46 AM