Young American hero caught behaving like, er, young American

posted at 9:05 pm on January 31, 2009 by Allahpundit

He’s a 23-year-old male crashing a campus house party. What are the odds?

Best comment from the Headlines thread comes from JWF, who notes that with Phelps’s massive lung capacity, this could be the most monster bong hit of all time. Did he bogart the whole bowl in one toke?

It was on November 6, weeks after his Beijing triumph, that 23-year-old Phelps surprised students at the University Of South Carolina in Columbia by showing up unannounced at a house party…

The US Olympics Committee, who have pledged to clamp down on drug use, refused to comment, as did USA Swimming and Phelps’ coach Bob Bowman.

More surprising still was the World Anti-Doping Agency’s refusal to comment, given that they introduced the four-year ban on sport’s drug users…

Spokesman Clifford Bloxham offered us an extraordinary deal not to publish our story, saying Phelps would become our columnist for three years, host events and get his sponsors to advertise with us.

In return, he asked that we kill Phelps’ bong picture. Bloxham said: “It’s seeing if something potentially very negative for Michael could turn into something very positive for the News of the World.”

People are arguing that it’s not really him in the photo, but would the News of the World drop that detail about his spokesman in there if it wasn’t true? Remember, libel laws in the UK are much looser than they are here. Exit question: Given the fact the IOC’s never had a big problem with cheating and that Phelps’s absence from the 2012 Games would mean tens of millions of dollars in lost ad revenue, what are the odds that they’ll revisit the rules about a four-year ban for dope before then?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

who cares?

rob verdi on January 31, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Great swimmer……better bong hitter

dangitt on January 31, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Doing drugs is stupid. The War on (Some) Drugs is even more stupid.

It’s been a complete waste of time and money, and has enriched drug lords, expanded the criminal class, and undermined our liberties.

The GOP needs to get on the right side of this issue and call for an end to Prohibition 2.0.

It’s the conservative thing to do.

Besides …

Things forbidden have a secret charm.
–Tacitus

But I repeat myself.

Rae on January 31, 2009 at 9:09 PM

now if he was using cocaine that might limit his future options, wait a second…..

rob verdi on January 31, 2009 at 9:10 PM

The sky is falling… uh wait, that’s Chicken Little. Athelete is drug user? Wow…. never would have thunk that. But our President snorted coke, so try again Phelps, you’ll never get far just settling for the ganga.

Hog Wild on January 31, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Stop Phelpsin’ my weed, bro!

Tzetzes on January 31, 2009 at 9:12 PM

While smoking pot doesn’t seem to be that big of a deal anymore…

…I guess it IS a big deal to be disappointed in people who make poor choices.

Religious_Zealot on January 31, 2009 at 9:13 PM

If only he lied on his taxes the press would have never picked this up and it would be excused…………..

……… or he could say that he was inspired by the drug use of the current President of the United States.

Either one……. too bad his is white, male, and the press needs something to take the spot light off of the failure of the first ten days.

Seven Percent Solution on January 31, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Goodbye Wheaties endorsement. Hello Doritos endorsement.

lowandslow on January 31, 2009 at 9:15 PM

What the hell . . . maybe he just decided to follow the rest of this poor sick country down the drain and into the sewer.

rplat on January 31, 2009 at 9:18 PM

NOT MARIJUANA!!!!!!

Goodbye Wheaties endorsement. Hello Doritos endorsement.

lowandslow on January 31, 2009 at 9:15 PM

This was funny.

Nonfactor on January 31, 2009 at 9:19 PM

I thought it was performance-enhancing drugs that were banned. When they prove that pot makes you a better swimmer, I’ll begin to care.

cthulhu on January 31, 2009 at 9:20 PM

the guy was wierd from the get-go.

freaky swimmer, but that says nothing about his brain

notagool on January 31, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Does someone, who feels laws can be disregarded if they interfere with his pleasure, also feel that rules of sports competition can also be disregarded if possible? Doesn’t the issue really go to one of consistency and credibility? If you don’t like the laws, change them. Till then, obey them or you aren’t any more trustworthy than Elliot Spitzer or Barry Bonds.

a capella on January 31, 2009 at 9:25 PM

There’s no such thing as “professional” swimmers – there’s no Professional Swimming League.

Thus an Olympic swimmer doesn’t have a lot of career choices ahead of them, especially not ones that pay a whole lot.

On the other hand, Olympic heroes can live a lifetime off of their fame, mostly through product endorsements.

However, most companies frown on having illegal drug users as company spokesmen.

Thus, that was a pretty stupid and irresponsible thing he did and it might well end up costing him millions.

Religious_Zealot on January 31, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Setting aside the riveting drugs are evil and you’re not a real conservative if you don’t think so versus drugs are no big deal and you’re not a real conservative if you don’t think so …

… how about the more pragmatic question: why is this kid such a ‘tard that he’ll do it a roomful of strangers with cell phone cameras?

Note to famous people: do your freaky shiz in your house. With the shades down. It ain’t that hard.

Professor Blather on January 31, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Now we know why he was eating so much, heh.

It’s illegal, btw.

surrounded on January 31, 2009 at 9:29 PM

I just wonder if he has paid his taxes……uh, duh. But, then only Democrats are allowed not to pay their taxes and still receive appointments ton high office when they are caught. Then they are able to write checks for large amounts without a wink or a blink.

Who the heck eats Wheaties?

SC.Charlie on January 31, 2009 at 9:29 PM

I only have so much outrage and I probably shouldn’t waste any on this.

boomer on January 31, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Who the heck eats Wheaties?

SC.Charlie on January 31, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Good question.

surrounded on January 31, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Drudge is all over this story. He loves it when his man crushes do anything remotely scandalous (See: Drudge’s last three years reporting on Prince Harry).

Smoothies on January 31, 2009 at 9:32 PM

By the way, anybody check the bong? We sure it was pot?

Ciz this story would sound more true if he was smoking a bag of oats.

Neigh, I don’t buy it. Now get Secretariat a nice carrot.

Professor Blather on January 31, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Not to change the subject from all this doobie tokin’ goodness, but a very lovely looking Michelle is on Glenn Beck right this very moment.

And she’s far more interesting than the antics of Heroic Horseface.

Professor Blather on January 31, 2009 at 9:35 PM

So freaking what?? He’s hardly the first world class athlete to smoke pot. 90% of the NBA does it, as do a large majority of big time athletes….and probably 50 percent of more of the people in this country in that age group.

Is he hurting anyone, other than maybe damaging his incredible lungs a little bit..and killing a few brain cells?

Who cares?

bigred on January 31, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Nobody knows what they would do…but there is repeated reference to their, “source,” who isn’t named.

Why would Phelps agree to be their columnist for three years?

Religious_Zealot

That’s why I have a hard time believing that this Phelps in the photo. If it is, then he has done something extremely stupid. Marijuana stays in your system quite awhile, though, if you use it regularly, and the account in that article, he has taken 1500 drug tests and never failed one.

One thing should be easily verifiable. Did Phelps actually visit the University Of South Carolina in Columbia? Where are the fact-checkers?

JannyMae on January 31, 2009 at 9:36 PM

a capella on January 31, 2009 at 9:25 PM

There is a huge Goddamn difference between a sports organization dictating how their competition is supposed to work and a bunch of government busybodies telling you what you can and can not put inside your body.

Let’s just be glad you weren’t around to tell the founding fathers that it’s wrong to disobey the King’s laws.

justfinethanks on January 31, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Thanks for recognizing my comment, AP. I appreciate that. As one who has spectacular lung capacity and will publicly admit having consumed massive bong hits, I know the territory.

Of course all that experience came during the Carter administration…

Well, and a little bit of Reagan..

JammieWearingFool on January 31, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Marijuana is only banned in-competition. He is not in trouble with US or world swimming by taking a bond hit “off-duty”. The article is sensationalist nonsense.

mcg on January 31, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Aqua Lungs!

canopfor on January 31, 2009 at 9:40 PM

So what, marijuana should be decriminalized even legalized. I’ve known drunks, potheads and those addicted to prescription drugs and among them potheads are the most harmless. Legalize it and tax it like alcohol or tobacco.

goat on January 31, 2009 at 9:44 PM

It seems to me,that a Canadian snow boarder
in the Olympics,smoked the weed too!

But,I keep thinking,about that female downhill
skier that won in the Olympics,and credited the
‘Quickie’as the reason she won!

canopfor on January 31, 2009 at 9:46 PM

How did this turn into an anti-Obama, anti-Democrat thread? Oh, I forgot, everything’s Obama’s fault.

And yes, Bush was an alcoholic and coke-head. But I don’t hold that against him. He saw the error of his ways and quite the coke-snorting and binge drinking.

sandman on January 31, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Again, it’s illegal. This is like how the MSM exhumed the old “should prostitution be made legal?” question when Spitzer was busted. C’mon.

Legalize it and tax it like alcohol or tobacco.

goat on January 31, 2009 at 9:44 PM

If it’s ever legalized, go for it. Don’t break the law, though. That’s kinda, you know, childish.

surrounded on January 31, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Grand pianos crash together when my boy walks down the street
There are whole new kinds of weather when he walks with his new beat
Everyone sings hallelujah when my boy walks down the street
Life just kind of dances through ya from your smile down to your feet
Amazing he’s a whole new form of life
Blue eyes blazing and he’s going to be my wife

Just so you know, I mean 15 levels of sarcasm here.

thuja on January 31, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Do they have a blood sample?

canopfor on January 31, 2009 at 9:48 PM

I hope they have a better angle because if that’s it you’d have a hard time saying who the heck that is.

Cindy Munford on January 31, 2009 at 9:49 PM

surrounded on January 31, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Bull. When the government infringes on personal liberties, the most adult thing to do is to subvert it.

justfinethanks on January 31, 2009 at 9:49 PM

justfinethanks on January 31, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Ok, are you gonna be the one who draws the line?

surrounded on January 31, 2009 at 9:52 PM

I bet Michelle Malkin has a different take. She is a real conservative and at least understands what a role model is and how a person in a position of being a role model should have integrity.

But not surprising AllahPundit doesn’t.

Gabe on January 31, 2009 at 9:52 PM

I bet he can afford to buy the really good stuff.

Multibucket on January 31, 2009 at 9:53 PM

who cares?

rob verdi on January 31, 2009 at 9:09 PM

X???? it the guy wants to take a pull what business is it of mine(yours?)? He aitn saving the world for Pete`s sake, he`s a swimmer (damned good one tho)….geeze, nanny statism is a reaaaal drag.

NY Conservative on January 31, 2009 at 9:55 PM

What did Clinton say………..

……….. ” I didn’t inhale?”

Tuff to do with a bong, dude…….

…………… But just think if it was tobacco,

He would have been shot at dawn!

Seven Percent Solution on January 31, 2009 at 9:55 PM

“Don’t hide it……..

………… divide it!”

Seven Percent Solution on January 31, 2009 at 9:56 PM

The only comment I have for the main thread is this:

I’m embarrassed that I wasted time cheering for this loser over the summer. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

jimmy the notable on January 31, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Also, he is 23 years old, a bit old to be acting like a freshman in college. I guess with AllahPundit’s logic, 23 year olds who are teachers, policemen, soldiers, government workers,etc. should also be allowed to smoke marijuana in public and be excused.

But Phelps Bode Miller II is a role model and represents America to the world. He should be banned from 2012 and let someone who is serious and has integrity compete.

Gabe on January 31, 2009 at 9:57 PM

I don’t care about the role model thing, the legalizing drugs thing, I care about the cash. He got over on the DUI a few years back – made amends, and still saw the cash roll in. I thought Ricky Williams was the dumbest jock on the planet after the career and money he threw away for his weed. This kid has no clue what he has done to his future.
This maybe one example of why pot shouldn’t be legalized. If it makes people this friggin dumb, then it should definitely stay illegal.
This bong hit could seriously cost him $20 million or more. Idiot.

JeffinOrlando on January 31, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Gabe on January 31, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Not surprising at all. Even less surprising is him parroting the common assumption that all young people smoke pot and if they don’t, they think its fine when somebody who’s supposed to represent the country does. The funny thing is, I bet there would be more hate for this guy if he were found smoking regular cigarettes. But if he’s doing one of those things that is wrong for anyone to question doing, like pot, then we should all just say, “Hey man, get that nanny state off this poor young person’s back. He’s just trying to have fun.”

jimmy the notable on January 31, 2009 at 10:00 PM

If it’s not performance-enhancing, I’d rather see the USOC stay out of it.

mikeyboss on January 31, 2009 at 10:02 PM

surrounded on January 31, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Nah, I grew out of that part of my life, I can say it is far less addictive than alcohol or tobacco from personal experience.

goat on January 31, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Gabe, come on down off that high horse brah before you fall and hurt yourself.

dakine on January 31, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Gee… And I thought that he was perfect… Like the One.

RalphyBoy on January 31, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Ok, are you gonna be the one who draws the line?

surrounded on January 31, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Rationality is the one who draws the line. Read up on John Locke and the founding fathers. They knew that you are just a mindless slave if you do everything the government tells you. There is a difference between something being illegal and something being wrong.

justfinethanks on January 31, 2009 at 10:09 PM

I’m slightly troubled so many people are cool with people doing stupid and illegal things just because “most” young people seem do to it, and dag nabbit, that makes it pretty much okay to do.

If so many adults see no problem with smoking pot, I can see why so many kids do it and think little of it.

TheBlueSite on January 31, 2009 at 10:11 PM

jimmy the notable on January 31, 2009 at 10:00 PM

He is just trying to have fun. I like weed. I had my fun back in the day too. By the time I was this young man’s age, though, I had grown up enough to realize that breaking the law was a stupid thing to do. Maybe it should be legalized, I dunno. Maybe if it is legalized, I will hit it again. But not until then. I care too much about my family and reputation.

goat on January 31, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I agree with you. But those things are legal, so I’m sitting here with my wine and (occasional) cig, not breaking the law. Since much of my state is out of electricity at the moment, I’m feeling pretty cozy. :)

surrounded on January 31, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Rae on January 31, 2009 at 9:09 PM

so true!

homesickamerican on January 31, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Supposedly George Washington grew cannabis.

Kaptain Amerika on January 31, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Gabe, come on down off that high horse brah before you fall and hurt yourself.

dakine on January 31, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Oh no, it’s Dakine, the Obama supporter who comments and defends Obama all the time on Michelle Malkin.

Is it surprising at all that the libs and phony “moderate” conservatives support drugs and excuse anyone who takes them, even 23 year old Phelps, who should be way beyond partying like a freshman? After all, these same libs vote for Obama. Just proves that those who take drugs have very poor judgment elsewhere.

Gabe on January 31, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Hey guys, speaking of things “Every 23-year-old does,” I don’t remember photos circulating of a 23-year-old Tiger Woods hitting the bong.

SOME PEOPLE make intelligent choices not to partake in things detrimental to their professional careers. Its got nothing to do with legal or illegal. It has to do with intelligence. This was a profoundly unintelligent thing for Michael Phelps to be doing, and it has nothing to do with the legality of pot. Even if pot were legal, potheads would still be branded as unintelligent. Phelps did a stupid thing. Just f’ing admit it. Everyone is in such a rush to be the big libertarian on campus by claiming how much of a big deal it isn’t.

jimmy the notable on January 31, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Gabe on January 31, 2009 at 9:57 PM

oh please, get over yourself. like the party of mark foley, larry craig and bristol palin have the nerve to act so holier-than-thou…..

Noneya on January 31, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Supposedly George Washington grew cannabis.

Kaptain Amerika on January 31, 2009 at 10:12 PM

I’m guessing it was for manufacture of rope if he did. Nonetheless, the War on Drugs is a waste of time and resources. No, I’ve never used pot.

doubleplusundead on January 31, 2009 at 10:17 PM

I always love to see my old stomping grounds get some publicity.

Go Gamecocks!

LastRick on January 31, 2009 at 10:17 PM

At least he’s still qualified for city government in D.C. or an Executive Branch position.

HotWeaver on January 31, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Gabe, come on down off that high horse brah before you fall and hurt yourself.

dakine on January 31, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Flag on the play for dorkish use of the word ‘brah’

- The Cat

MirCat on January 31, 2009 at 10:18 PM

jimmy the notable on January 31, 2009 at 10:16 PM

I admit it.

surrounded on January 31, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Marijuana has been smoked for thousands of years and has only been illegal in a few countries for a few decades. It is no more a gateway drug than alcohol is. I just don’t find chilling with a bit of ganja a big deal.

goat on January 31, 2009 at 10:18 PM

No, I’ve never used pot.

doubleplusundead on January 31, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Not much of a frame of reference there, har.

surrounded on January 31, 2009 at 10:20 PM

THUNDER LUNGS!

chunderroad on January 31, 2009 at 10:21 PM

But not surprising AllahPundit doesn’t.

Gabe on January 31, 2009 at 9:52 PM

First of all, I bet Michelle could give a bleep. Secondly, who gets to choose what a “real Conservative” is? You. No thanks. Third….. Bill Buckley was for the legalization of Cannabis. Get a life.

AYNBLAND on January 31, 2009 at 10:21 PM

I just don’t find chilling with a bit of ganja a big deal.

goat on January 31, 2009 at 10:18 PM

I don’t either, except that it’s against the law.

surrounded on January 31, 2009 at 10:21 PM

It’s all fun and games until someone burns off their eyebrows.

- The Cat

MirCat on January 31, 2009 at 10:23 PM

JannyMae on January 31, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Without commenting on the veracity of the picture or getting into the debate about “weed good” versus “weed bad”, I can confirm that he was in Columbia, SC and visited the Univ. of SC campus. Lots of articles in the local paper (www.thestate.com) about it while he was here.

Cecil on January 31, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Good for Phelps’s! Life is too short to waste. If conformity is mandatory, the boring people who should conform to the fun people, not the other way around.

FloatingRock on January 31, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Kaptain Amerika on January 31, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Ever heard of hemp rope? Hemp is marijuana but cultivated for the fiber in its stalks not the THC content. It makes some comfortable clothing as well, I have some pants and shorts made from it and no I am not a hippy, more a crunchy con.

goat on January 31, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Again, somehow with his drug use, he just managed to accomplish a feat that no one else ever has done before.

So tell me again how only “losers” use it. And no, he wasn’t endorsing weed with his fame. He was endorsing Wheaties, and endorsing eating like an elephant.

MadisonConservative on January 31, 2009 at 10:24 PM

FloatingRock on January 31, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Yeah, too bad he’s pissing away millions of dollars in endorsements for a little fun. Moron. He can have fun when his time in the national spotlight is over. Apparently he’s more than eager for that to happen sooner rather than later.

jimmy the notable on January 31, 2009 at 10:26 PM

This is cracking me up, because my brother was the biggest stoner when we were kids. He was blazing at 12, and he used to come home after school with his eyes all red. My mother would fuss all over him and ask why his eyes were all red, and he’d say he and his friend Billy went swimming (he had an indoor pool.) I used to joke how much Ryan loved swimming, and say, “Gee, he should try out for the Olympics.” Then my youngest sister actually did, but she was a Jehovah’s Witness and never touched drugs. But that’s another story.

chunderroad on January 31, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Not much of a frame of reference there, har.

surrounded on January 31, 2009 at 10:20 PM

That was a preemptive defusing of the inevitable ZOMG UR JUST A STONER!!1!1eleventy!1 response I was bound to get.

doubleplusundead on January 31, 2009 at 10:26 PM

chunderroad on January 31, 2009 at 10:26 PM

If my kid was smoking pot, I’d tell them to knock it off.

If my kid became a Jehovah’s Witness, I’d get a deprogrammer. Those people used to come to our door, and I knew some in high school. Dude.

MadisonConservative on January 31, 2009 at 10:27 PM

MadisonConservative on January 31, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Because he’s going to LOSE millions in endorsements and probably another chance to be in the national spotlight. Hence the “loser” part of it.

And all because he couldn’t, with all of his million dollars, find an intelligent place to partake in his habit. Yeah, great move, fishboy, go do something illegal amongst a bunch of strangers at a party which you’re too old to be attending. What the hell is a 23-year-old still doing at college anyway?

jimmy the notable on January 31, 2009 at 10:28 PM

doubleplusundead on January 31, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Was understood. Thanks.

surrounded on January 31, 2009 at 10:28 PM

surrounded on January 31, 2009 at 10:21 PM

So is speeding, do you drive above the speed limit?

goat on January 31, 2009 at 10:28 PM

doubleplusundead on January 31, 2009 at 10:26 PM

You’re not going to get such a response because apparently everyone here is more than willing to admit what huge stoners they are, and are terrified to chastize anyone who smokes, because, maaaan, it should totally be legal.

jimmy the notable on January 31, 2009 at 10:29 PM

If my kid was smoking pot, I’d tell them to knock it off.

MadisonConservative on January 31, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Oh? Why is that?

surrounded on January 31, 2009 at 10:30 PM

jimmy the notable on January 31, 2009 at 10:28 PM

…and why is that? Other people’s attitudes, not a loss of his own abilities or accomplishments. He’s still a champion swimmer, possibly the best in the world. However, people are now denying him his due because of one of his personal habits.

MadisonConservative on January 31, 2009 at 10:31 PM

I saw he was in South Beach lately, too, and I’m glad no one alerted the local media. He would have been swarmed.

chunderroad on January 31, 2009 at 10:31 PM

So is speeding, do you drive above the speed limit?

goat on January 31, 2009 at 10:28 PM

surrounded on January 31, 2009 at 10:32 PM

jimmy the notable on January 31, 2009 at 10:29 PM

I haven’t really seen you or anyone else offer up any good reasons why it shouldn’t be legal. All you have claimed is that it was a bad business decision, which is beside the point of legality.

justfinethanks on January 31, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Oh? Why is that?

surrounded on January 31, 2009 at 10:30 PM

They can do what they like when they’re out from under my roof. I’d like to instill in them the notion that sucking any kind of smoke in your lungs, regardless of legality, is stupid. Frankly, I’d be more upset if they were smoking cigarettes. Cheaper and more addictive with no substantive high is a worse combination than weed.

MadisonConservative on January 31, 2009 at 10:33 PM

MadisonConservative on January 31, 2009 at 10:27 PM

It was just heavy irony. My mother got her into Jehovah’s Witness, and she was, I think, willfully ignorant of my little brother’s drug use. My family is strange.

chunderroad on January 31, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Kaptain Amerika on January 31, 2009 at 10:12 PM

goat on January 31, 2009 at 10:24 PM

yes I know the difference… but it’s all illegal, rope or not. I give you my brother Alex White Plume as reference

Kaptain Amerika on January 31, 2009 at 10:34 PM

MadisonConservative on January 31, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Hey, I don’t make the rules. But Michael Phelps could have hired any one of a thousand sharks who understand those rules of society as they now stand who could have advised his every move so as to amplify those millions. Instead he behaved moronically. Even if it was legal, I would still think less of him. And so would many, many other people. I think less of people who drink regularly, and people who smoke regularly. And those habits are perfectly legal. That doesn’t mean they’re normal. I’m sure there are thousands, nay, millions of alcoholics out there who will make more money than I could ever dream of. Just because they are capable of functioning and succeeding with that addiction doesn’t mean there isn’t anything wrong with it.

jimmy the notable on January 31, 2009 at 10:35 PM

MadisonConservative on January 31, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Thanks for the response. So would I.

surrounded on January 31, 2009 at 10:36 PM

I don’t think the whole war on drugs is bad just that against weed. The resources used here in Ca to go after weed should be used to go after meth labs and their networks along coke and heroin.

goat on January 31, 2009 at 10:37 PM

And yes he’s a dumbass for doing bong hits within a thousand miles of a camera. Seriously, you know he’s gonna lose endorsements over this.

doubleplusundead on January 31, 2009 at 10:37 PM

justfinethanks on January 31, 2009 at 10:33 PM

I’m a libertarian, I think it should be legal. That doesn’t mean I think its perfectly dandy for people who use it so long as its illegal.

He is a representative of the UNITED STATES. He should be held to a higher standard. If he cannot live up to such a standard, then he should not be allowed to represent our country. Like I said in the headlines…this is a perfect metaphor for the sad state of affairs in our country right now.

jimmy the notable on January 31, 2009 at 10:37 PM

goat on January 31, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Hey, I’m from Arkansas, you won’t get any argument from me on the meth thing.

surrounded on January 31, 2009 at 10:39 PM

jimmy the notable on January 31, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Awesome. Then I guess we are on the same page. He should be allowed to smoke dope and everyone who hates him for it should be allowed to be on their high horse. I’d call that a win-win.

justfinethanks on January 31, 2009 at 10:40 PM

jimmy the notable on January 31, 2009 at 10:35 PM

First of all, why is it every anti-drug person here is assuming he’s a “pothead” based on a picture of him smoking it at one time in his life? The majority of people who have done marijuana, according to a friend of mine, have done it once and never done it again. Claiming he’s an addict is dead wrong unless you have proof of his regular usage.

And yes, frankly, if someone is able to handle a habit such that it doesn’t interfere with theirs or anyone else’s life, and that person also manages to make themselves into a model of excellence, then yes, there isn’t anything wrong with it. The problem is not with the activity, it’s with the person who takes the activity to a level where their life is hindered or they are hindering the lives of others.

MadisonConservative on January 31, 2009 at 10:40 PM

My family is strange.

chunderroad on January 31, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Your family is normal. Anyone who had a family without weirdness was the one with the strange family.

MadisonConservative on January 31, 2009 at 10:41 PM