Young American hero caught behaving like, er, young American

posted at 9:05 pm on January 31, 2009 by Allahpundit

He’s a 23-year-old male crashing a campus house party. What are the odds?

Best comment from the Headlines thread comes from JWF, who notes that with Phelps’s massive lung capacity, this could be the most monster bong hit of all time. Did he bogart the whole bowl in one toke?

It was on November 6, weeks after his Beijing triumph, that 23-year-old Phelps surprised students at the University Of South Carolina in Columbia by showing up unannounced at a house party…

The US Olympics Committee, who have pledged to clamp down on drug use, refused to comment, as did USA Swimming and Phelps’ coach Bob Bowman.

More surprising still was the World Anti-Doping Agency’s refusal to comment, given that they introduced the four-year ban on sport’s drug users…

Spokesman Clifford Bloxham offered us an extraordinary deal not to publish our story, saying Phelps would become our columnist for three years, host events and get his sponsors to advertise with us.

In return, he asked that we kill Phelps’ bong picture. Bloxham said: “It’s seeing if something potentially very negative for Michael could turn into something very positive for the News of the World.”

People are arguing that it’s not really him in the photo, but would the News of the World drop that detail about his spokesman in there if it wasn’t true? Remember, libel laws in the UK are much looser than they are here. Exit question: Given the fact the IOC’s never had a big problem with cheating and that Phelps’s absence from the 2012 Games would mean tens of millions of dollars in lost ad revenue, what are the odds that they’ll revisit the rules about a four-year ban for dope before then?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Funny, those I know most against marijuana, alcohol and tobbaco are all very liberal and I live in California. All they care about is controlling other people’s lives. Yes I am a conservative with a very strong libertarian streak.

goat on February 1, 2009 at 12:47 AM

You’ve gone from dimwitted adult to slow, children at play. You’re regressing faster than Benjamin Button.

The Race Card on February 1, 2009 at 12:46 AM

And you’ve just said absolutely nothing…attack the messenger..a very poor retort.

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:47 AM

AU, seriously, stop. You sound like a complete buffoon.

dakine on February 1, 2009 at 12:47 AM

goat on February 1, 2009 at 12:47 AM

Yup. And they’re against violent video games, too. And fast food, and guns, and a bunch of other crap.

Achilles on February 1, 2009 at 12:48 AM

So?

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:44 AM

You sound like a libs who asks why every conservative they meet hates gays and blacks and women. You are either fibbing or need to get out more.

Ampersand on February 1, 2009 at 12:48 AM

That’s not the story I’m telling you at all.

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:46 AM

I know, but I am saying it is equally absurd. In my scenario, clearly the Carter loving conservative was deeply confused on the meaning of “conservative.” Just as your socialist libertarians seem to be confused about the whole libertarian philosophy.

justfinethanks on February 1, 2009 at 12:49 AM

AU, seriously, stop. You sound like a complete buffoon.

dakine on February 1, 2009 at 12:47 AM

I seriously don’t care what you think dakine..seriously.

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:49 AM

I love drugs just because they’re the last free market in this country. I tend to not like drug dealers, smugglers or users, but I like drugs in principle.

chunderroad on February 1, 2009 at 12:53 AM

Achilles on February 1, 2009 at 12:48 AM

High Five!

goat on February 1, 2009 at 12:54 AM

justfinethanks on February 1, 2009 at 12:49 AM

Well, I don’t think it is…but this has been an interesting exchange…look, I don’t hate folks who think it’s ok…if you are for pot legalization….fine. I was just explaining my experiences with the pot lovers I know. Maybe it was unfair…pot may be getting a bad wrap because of it’s association with hippies who don’t think straight and embrace a really lefty point of view…like the ones I’ve been in contact with…and I didn’t make a single thing up I related here…all true.

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:55 AM

Achilles on February 1, 2009 at 12:48 AM

Don’t accuse those against legalization of drugs, and then generalize that they are against all of that too…you just disqualified yourself from pointing any fingers there.

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:57 AM

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:47 AM

This is your brain ·
This is your brain on freedom ☺

Get it now?

The Race Card on February 1, 2009 at 12:59 AM

goat on February 1, 2009 at 12:54 AM

*High Five!*

Achilles on February 1, 2009 at 1:00 AM

This is your brain ·
This is your brain on freedom ☺

Get it now?

The Race Card on February 1, 2009 at 12:59 AM

No..that didn’t make any sense..but at least your consistent :-)

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 1:04 AM

*High Five!*

Achilles on February 1, 2009 at 1:00 AM

You’re breaking new new ground here.

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 1:06 AM

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:57 AM

The general argument against marijuana is the perceived effects on children and society as a whole. This is the same argument applied to guns, video games, fast food, etc. It’s not a generalization when you all use the same words. If you consider an argument valid for having something be illegal, then you’re going to have quite a difficult time arguing against it when it is applied to the proposed outlawing of other things, especially when that argument is based on perceived damage, and not historical evidence.

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2009 at 1:09 AM

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2009 at 1:09 AM

Oh, I see your point…it’s the slippery slope argument. Outlaw anything and you might as well outlaw everything. First you say pot is illegal…then you say it’s illegal to smoke pot while trying to land a plane on an aircraft carrier…where will it end? I think it’s a fair question…but are there any limits?…I just find the pro-pot arguments a bit shrill…as if it’s the only true metric of freedom that exists. Every pro-pot argument is always framed in terms of “if pot isn’t legal..can freedom exist at all?” It’s ridiculous. It’s been illegal for a long time in the US…are we slaves because it’s not?

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 1:18 AM

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 1:18 AM

There are countless non violent drug offenders behind bars. Do they count?

Anti pot people always drift away from talking about pot itself and say “Well, if pot is made legal what’s to prevent me from mowing down small children in my car while high on pot.” It’s nonsense because it starts talking about a victimless crime and desperately try to connect it with an actual crime. Obviously, you shouldn’t be allowed to put people in harm, just as you shouldn’t be drunk while flying a plane. Light regulation works better than prohibition EVERY TIME.

justfinethanks on February 1, 2009 at 1:23 AM

There are countless non violent drug offenders behind bars. Do they count?

Non-sequiter…there are countless non-drug related non-violent offenders behind bars..what about them?

Light regulation works better than prohibition EVERY TIME.

Maybe…and I will acknowledge that you made good points in the second paragraph as well. It’s the best argument you can make about pot legalization actually. I don’t agree with legalization, but I will concede that.

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 1:32 AM

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:55 AM

Then you must be oh 20 years old or so. I know lots of people that smoke pot and none are hippies or liberal by any means and none of them voted for Obama. They are all acccomplished professionals that like to relax and kick back every once and a while.

goat on February 1, 2009 at 1:34 AM

It’s been illegal for a long time in the US…are we slaves because it’s not?

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 1:18 AM

Only about 40 years

goat on February 1, 2009 at 1:36 AM

Non violent non drug crimes are usually white collar crimes or theft. Those crimes usually involve hurting another person, they have a victim. So this is the real non issue.

justfinethanks on February 1, 2009 at 1:39 AM

justfinethanks on February 1, 2009 at 1:39 AM

Not really…pot is still illegal..it generally involves breaking the law and dealing with criminals who are hurting others…you can frame that argument any way you like, but buying pot supports people who are generally hurting other people to get ahead…you can say that if it were legal, it wouldn’t matter…but you could say the same thing about tax evasion too…

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 1:43 AM

goat on February 1, 2009 at 1:34 AM

Seriously? Where do you live…I need to get to know a better class of pot smokers…

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 1:48 AM

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 1:43 AM

So if I grow my own and don’t use a dealer its OK? Its very easy to grow since it is a weed.

goat on February 1, 2009 at 1:49 AM

Anyway, time for bed…enjoyed the give and take and hope nobody is permanently pissed at me. It’s ‘Hot Air’ after all, and we can all just let it go here…

Cheers all and goodnight.

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 1:50 AM

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 1:18 AM

It’s not slippery slope when actual movements exist that are trying to regulate or outlaw cigarettes, video games, fast food, et al. New York has been banning tons of things for many of the exact same reasons that are used in the argument against marijuana, from MSG to trans-saturated fats. Wisconsin is trying to ban smoking throughout the state, and tried to ban plastic bags and plastic water bottles. An argument is only slippery slope when you’re predicting similar events will occur, not when they actually are occurring.

By the way, it’s already illegal to smoke pot while operating a vehicle. It’s driving under the influence, or while intoxicated…not while drunk. If a cop pulls you over for weaving and you’re doped up on over-the-counter medication, he can cite you just as easily. Legalizing marijuana would no more make driving while high legal then the legalized status of alcohol makes driving drunk legal.

No, pot is not the only true metric of freedom. It’s not even the pot that is the metric. It’s the reasoning behind its outlawing, same for anything else. It’s trading liberty for “safety”, or more accurately, “for the children. As I’ve said many times, “It’s for the children” are the four most dangerous words in this land. The Assault Weapons Ban, which refuses to stay dead, was shrouded in these words. Smoking bans around the country were shrouded in these words. Forced ratings of video games and labeling of “offensive” music was shrouded in these words. Nearly all of these movements, by the way, were headed by liberals like Tipper Gore and Hillary Clinton, although sadly the AWB was a bipartisan effort. Strangely enough, my own senator, Russ Feingold, was one of the two dems to vote against it. Liberal nut though he is, I can never forget that.

What the Founding Fathers wanted was limited government, period. They wanted to live their lives with the government serving only necessary functions, and if they acted up, they suggested revolting all over again. Government is too big by far, and giving them more power over people’s lives, even though the ways may seem trivial individually, is dangerous. Maybe pot is bad. Maybe cigarettes are bad. Maybe alcohol is bad. Maybe fast food is bad. Maybe video games are bad.

However, the government should not be making our choices about these things for us. No conservative would support that.

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2009 at 1:50 AM

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 1:48 AM

California, Sacramento Valley

goat on February 1, 2009 at 1:51 AM

The only reason you deal with criminals is because it is unjustly illegal. It’s an immoral law. If you lift the law, instead of shady people getting the money we will create jobs in manufacuring, farming, marketing, and retail. Plus take advantage of a tax glut, which we can then use to cut income taxes and improve the economy even more.

but you could say the same thing about tax evasion too…

Cheating on your taxes is another one of those things that everyone does but no one cares. Legalize it and you can cut taxes. Kill two birds with one stone.

justfinethanks on February 1, 2009 at 1:53 AM

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2009 at 1:50 AM

A High Five to you too!

goat on February 1, 2009 at 1:55 AM

Might I point out, that even if you think pot shouldn’t be illegal, that doesn’t mean you can’t also oppose the use of marijuana through means such as public shaming and embarrassment- or even ostracism (ie banning) of offenders from a freely organized association.

Which as far as I can tell is the only thing at issue here, were criminal charges threatened against Phelps? I’d didn’t see anything about that.

As for the contention that pot smoking isn’t harmful, all I have to say is that a disproportionate number of pot smokers are losers. While it is true that not all pot users are losers, a disproportionate of them are, and more over I have seen successful people begin using pot and immediately following from that choice, destroy their lives. (All this without any government action destroying their lives either).

I don’t need anything more than that to rationally label pot as harmful, dangerous, and a bad thing for people to use. (Illegality is another issue- as we should not make everything that is bad illegal).

Sackett on February 1, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Who cares, he isn’t a pot headed liberal, so far as I have seen him he is friends with W.

lavell12 on February 1, 2009 at 3:31 AM

So what, marijuana should be decriminalized even legalized. I’ve known drunks, potheads and those addicted to prescription drugs and among them potheads are the most harmless. Legalize it and tax it like alcohol or tobacco.

Amen. Add a 25% federal tax on marijuana and our government would have all the money it would ever need.

nazo311 on February 1, 2009 at 4:01 AM

Young American hero caught behaving like, er, young American

Next headline: capitalist companies, speedo and frosted flakes, terminate contracts with young American…

He earned his achievements through his work ethic as applied to his physical gifts; the medals and records he set are his, as is his right to continue to compete.

The $$ he is getting from endorsements comes from the consumers of speedo and frosted flakes… the majority of whom are most likely parents. He will lose his endorsement $ and I will use this as a cautionary tale for my kids.

FLKraKa on February 1, 2009 at 6:19 AM

There are more than 20 million Americans who enjoy cannabis daily. This is a huge voting block, bigger than the Evangelical block. Whenever I read things against Cannabis on this site, it’s always attached to hippies living in Nazi Pelosi’s district. The reality is there are probably more conservatives who are doctors, lawyers, and Indian chiefs who smoke. They aren’t as stupid as the hippies in getting caught. As a Libertarian, this is one more area where conservatives try to insert government policy over individuals’ rights. That is as bad as the left’s social engineering………….

adamsmith on February 1, 2009 at 6:52 AM

P.S.

As far as legalizing and taxing, screw that. Conservatives are always saying(rightly) that anytime the government gets involved it is a total failure. Would be the same with drugs. They would add chemical preservatives to it as with cigarettes and the money taken in the form of taxes would only add to government corruption. Just let people grow their own at home, and leave the government out of peoples’ lives. Must we really tax EVERYTHING???????????????

adamsmith on February 1, 2009 at 6:56 AM

Now all these potheads are going to believe they can will fourteen gold medals too. But the curious thing is what relationship if any did Phelps have to South Carolina? I mean, how would he even know where to go to crash a party?
It just doesn’t seem kosher to me.

eaglewingz08 on February 1, 2009 at 7:59 AM

Maybe you should rethink the flock of birds with witch you fly.

Wade on February 1, 2009 at 8:10 AM

Hitting a bong isn’t a big deal. Most people I know below the age of 50 have at least tried it at least once in their lives (and, of course, there’s nothing wrong with people who haven’t tried it).

I do question his judgment in letting someone take his picture, considering how many eyes are on him. Even if the picture was taken without permission, he should have tried to be very discreet, considering his celebrity status and the companies that invested money in him and his image.

My guess is that I’ve pulled more tubes in my day than Phelps has so far, and I’ve got far less to lose. Even still, no one is going to produce such a picture of me…

ynot4tony2 on February 1, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Wade on February 1, 2009 at 8:10 AM

Maybe you should rethink the flock of birds with witch you fly.

Maybe you should at least observe other flocks before making such judgmental remarks. Of all the character flaws a person can have, smoking dope shouldn’t rank so high on your list of no-no’s.

My guess is that you’d be shocked if you realized how many of the people you respect have smoked it in the past, and even some that continue to do so now.

ynot4tony2 on February 1, 2009 at 8:56 AM

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2009 at 1:50 AM

Maybe. But the scariest sentence is “I’m from the government, and I’m here to help.”

Squiggy on February 1, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Breaking the law does and you think it is ok to pick and choose. Sad….

Wade on February 1, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Breaking the law does and you think it is ok to pick and choose. Sad….

Wade on February 1, 2009 at 1:01 PM

You think that illegal=bad every single time, when this country was founded by braver men who recognized that it is moral to subvert the law when it infringes on your personal liberties. Sad.

justfinethanks on February 1, 2009 at 1:09 PM

If past pot smoking isn’t a disqualification for running for national office, then it shouldn’t disqualify Phelps from competing in 2012–unless someone determines that it is a performance enhancing drug.

dedalus on February 1, 2009 at 1:24 PM

However, people are now denying him his due because of one of his personal habits.

MadisonConservative on January 31, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Yes, but that’s to be expected. The advertisers were trying to sell an image. Someone who is caught smoking pot, on camera no less, would go against that. The same would be true if he was out drinking every night, even without a DUI. His advertisers wouldn’t sign Britney either.

That said, the man’s still a hero, and it’s bs for people to act as though this changes what he accomplished. Yes, he was stupid for getting caught, but he’s still an Olympic all-star who broke serious records and gave the US a ton of wins this last year.

People make mistakes, often big ones if they live long enough. Just thinking back to some of the people we’ve had as heroes, such as the man who said, “let’s roll” that horrible day. Would he loss his status if it came out that he used to smoke every now and then before he boarded that flight? Would that news somehow change that he did that day? Or Smeaton, what if he was caught with a bong? Would his actions in defending the airport suddenly mean something less?

Breaking the law does and you think it is ok to pick and choose. Sad….

Wade on February 1, 2009 at 1:01 PM

In most states, smoking is nothing but a misdemeanor, which would rank it with a serious traffic violation. Don’t pretend like you’re not picking and choosing. You are.

Esthier on February 1, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Ah, the drug legalization advocates have taken over the thread. I’m not surprised.

Phelps has now admitted that it’s him in the photo, and he’s saying he made a mistake.

So, I guess he disagrees with all of you who believe that breaking the law and jeopardizing your career is nothing more than an excusable, youthful indiscretion.

I am disappointed in him because of this behavior, and a lot of other people will be as well. It was a stupid thing for him to do, and may he reap the consequences of it so he might learn something from it.

And may those of you excusing his behavior learn something too, but I doubt that will happen.

JannyMae on February 1, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Esthier on February 1, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Depends on how much of a stash you happen to be in possession of, in most states, but if you really want to equate this a, “serious traffic violation,” you might want to rethink it, as a serious traffic violation can result in someone’s death.

JannyMae on February 1, 2009 at 1:47 PM

JannyMae on February 1, 2009 at 1:45 PM

It sounds like you need a toke.

justfinethanks on February 1, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Oh dear he was burning a plant. The humanity. Let’s just hope he lays off the alcohol, that stuff is actually dangerous.

LevStrauss on February 1, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Is this about government invervention or simply the reaction of people to a story about someone held up as a hero and their worries about his example to their kids?

It was very dumb of him to have a picture taken and it will cost him much money and deservedly so.

Jamson64 on February 1, 2009 at 3:36 PM

LevStrauss on February 1, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Let us not pretend that POT is just fine.

Jamson64 on February 1, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Let us not pretend that POT is just fine.

Jamson64 on February 1, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Let us further not pretend that it is any more destructive than mind altering substances that you can currently get legally. And also observe that the destructiveness of a mind altering substance is a moot point when discussing whether or not I have the right to put said substance inside my body. It makes about as much sense to ban bacon because it is “harmful to your health.”

justfinethanks on February 1, 2009 at 3:47 PM

JannyMae on February 1, 2009 at 1:47 PM

I was referring just to smoking, not being in possession of pot (anymore than what’s currently being smoked). But even possession itself doesn’t necessarily mean a crime worse than a traffic violation.

And yes, some traffic violations can result in death, but we don’t generally throw stones at people who speed or neglect to use their blinker when necessary. If you’ve ever had a ticket, then you’ve broken the law just the same.

Esthier on February 1, 2009 at 4:08 PM

I’m sure it’s been said many times on this thread but……DOPE.

oakpack on February 1, 2009 at 5:09 PM

There goes Michael’s endorsements. I hope he gave his mom a couple mil to set aside.
Cutting lose is to be expected considering he spent 10 hours a day 7 days a week for 10 years in a pool.
He wants to live a little, to fit in with his perceived peers. Remember he did not share the college experience due to the demands of swimming.

As strange as it sounds I think he is trying to fit in. Trying too hard to impress that tatooed beauty he is enamored with.
He is a smart enough guy so I believe him when he says it won’t happen again.

It really is a shame for him financially.

FireBlogger on February 1, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Wade on February 1, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Breaking the law does and you think it is ok to pick and choose. Sad….

Driving without a seatbelt is illegal…but killing an unborn child is legal.

No…sad is not having an internal moral compass and needing the law to tell you what is right and what is wrong.

ynot4tony2 on February 1, 2009 at 6:13 PM

So I freaked you out with 2 question marks…cool!

AUINSC on February 1, 2009 at 12:42 AM

I was referring to my own comment. Don’t be so narcissistic.

The Race Card on February 1, 2009 at 6:34 PM

The guy’s an idiot Race Card, so you’ll have to cut him some slack.

dakine on February 1, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Marijuana is not a performance-enhancing drug so I hope the USOC doesn’t ban him from competition over the next four years.

It was a stupid thing to do that will mostly hurt him in the pocketbook as the endorsements dry up. He may even be asked to perform community service and pay a fine.

CliffHanger on February 1, 2009 at 8:18 PM

So a guy who obviously frequently smokes dope can still manage win 14 gold medals and break world records. Why was it that were were supposed to be afraid of cannibis again?

Besides, how else is he going to be able to eat the thousands of calories a day he needs?

News of the World needs to get a life.

universalagent on February 1, 2009 at 10:25 PM

that is really a pathetic justification. pot use is illegal. you can’t kick back and relax without having hallucinations? pot is for aged hippies and loser college kids who don’t know better.

anna on February 1, 2009 at 10:48 PM

anna on February 1, 2009 at 10:48 PM

whoa, what pot are you smoking that makes you hallucinate?

lolwut on February 1, 2009 at 11:38 PM

pot is for aged hippies and loser college kids who don’t know better.

anna on February 1, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Pot smoking is a bit more widespread than that. For one, it absolutely fuels the economy of rural NoCal.

Plus, your friends are smoking it. :^)

CliffHanger on February 1, 2009 at 11:50 PM

no idea about nocal’s economy, but it’s still illegal. drugs fuel afghanistan’s economy, should they be legal for that reason?

if phelps wasn’t the one caught smoking but rather some liberal douche, would you guys have the same attitude?

anna on February 2, 2009 at 12:20 AM

anna, seriously. Get the stick out of your ass. You sound fairly ridiculous.

dakine on February 2, 2009 at 1:29 AM

Since all the pot heads and other self-medicators on Hot Air will continue to pursue their faves regardless of the law, why bother? It takes effort to change laws on the books and I won’t even get into the unintended consequences. It won’t change my life. I’ve tried illicit drugs in the past. Now, I’m happy with the occasional beer, the endorphins my wife and I generate together and the adrenaline rush I experience when I dive out the door of a Cessna or twin Otter. Nothing else compares.

SKYFOX on February 2, 2009 at 7:00 AM

Americans who fought WWII are often called the, “greatest generation.”

Given how often Phelps’ generation publish damaging photos and videos of themselves on the Internet, surely they represent America’s “dumbest generation.”

TheBigOldDog on February 2, 2009 at 12:09 PM

anna on February 1, 2009 at 10:48 PM

I must have smoked nothing but lame dope in my heyday, because I never had a hallucination. Or, maybe you’re just terribly misinformed…

pot is for aged hippies and loser college kids who don’t know better.

This is what happens when you blast people you’ve never met for doing something you have no clue about…you come off sounding like a dolt.

Even Nobel prize winning physicist Richard Feynman admitted to smoking dope. I don’t know many “aged hippies” or “loser college kids” who helped create the atomic bomb, do you? I could sit here all day and pelt you with examples of people smarter and more accomplished than you who have smoked dope, but my guess is you’d rather remain willfully ignorant.

ynot4tony2 on February 2, 2009 at 5:35 PM

I love all the delusional weak-minded idiots who smoke dope. Thanks to a generation of hippy parents and teachers who think smoking pot is ok and has no adverse health effects, they have spread this propaganda on to the next generation. The scientific facts against Pot are overwhelming:

The Anti Marijuana Resource

That fact is every loser I’ve met that smokes or has smoked dope exhibits forms of paranoia or other mental disorders. Nothing is funnier then listening to these brain dead morons try to justify their weak-minded behavior.

Poptech on February 3, 2009 at 7:54 AM

The Scientific Studies debunking the Pot Propaganda:

Addiction:
Animals Exposed To Marijuana’s Active Component Will Self-Administer The Drug (NIH-National Institute On Drug Abuse)
Marijuana Withdrawal As Bad As Withdrawal From Cigarettes (Drug and Alcohol Dependence Journal)
Marijuana Withdrawal Reported By Teens Seeking Treatment (Drug and Alcohol Dependence Journal)
Smoking, Drinking, Drugs: The Younger They Start, The Harder It Is To Quit (Health Education & Behavior Journal)

Negative Health Effects:
Brain Damage – Cannabis Could Increase Risks Of Psychotic Illness By 40 Percent (The Lancet Medical Journal)
Brain Damage – Cannabis Increases Risk Of Psychosis (British Medical Journal)
Brain Damage – Cannabis Triggers Transient Schizophrenia-like Symptoms (Neuropsychopharmacology Journal)
Brain Damage – Frequent Marijuana Use May Affect Brain Function (NeuroReport Journal)
Brain Damage – How Smoking Marijuana Damages The Fetal Brain (Science Journal)
Brain Damage – Long-term Cannabis Users May Have Structural Brain Abnormalities (Archives of General Psychiatry Journal)
Brain Damage – Marijuana And Alcohol Taken Together Induced Widespread Nerve Cell Death In Brains Of Young Rats (Annals of Neurology Journal)
Brain Damage – Marijuana Use Affects Blood Flow In Brain Even After Abstinence (Neurology Journal)
Brain Damage – Marijuana Use Takes Toll On Adolescent Brain Function (American Academy of Pediatrics)
Brain Damage – More Evidence Of Cannabis-induced Psychosis (BMC Psychiatry Journal)
Brain Damage – Schizophrenia Linked To Dysfunction In Molecular Brain Pathway Activated By Marijuana (Archives of General Psychiatry Journal)
Brain Damage – Skunk smokers 18 times more likely to be psychotic (Royal College of Psychiatrists)
Brain Damage – Smoking Marijuana Impairs Cognitive Function In MS Patients (Neurology Journal)
Brain Damage – Teen Drug Use Associated With Psychiatric Disorders Later In Life (NIH/National Institute On Drug Abuse)
Brain Damage – Teen Marijuana Use Worsens Depression, Leads To More Serious Mental Illness (Office of National Drug Control Policy)
Cancer – Marijuana Use Associated with HPV-Positive Head and Neck Cancer (Journal of the National Cancer Institute)
Cancer – Smoking Marijuana May Increase Risk Of Head And Neck Cancers (Cancer Epidemiology Biomarker and Prevention Journal)
Gum Disease – Heavy Marijuana Use Linked To Gum Disease (Journal of the American Medical Association)
Heart Disease – Marijuana Use May Pose Health Threat To Baby Boomers (American Heart Association Circulation Journal)
Heart Disease – Possible Connection Between Marijuana Abuse And Stroke Or Heart Attacks (Molecular Psychiatry Journal)
Heart Disease – Regular Cannabis May Increase Risk Of Stroke In Young Users (British Medical Journal)
Infertility – Abusing Marijuana May Overload System, Inhibit Fertility (American Society for Cell Biology)
Infertility – Marijuana-Like Compounds May Alter Human Fertility (American Society of Cell Biology)
Infertility – Sperm From Marijuana Smokers Move Too Fast Too Early, Impairing Fertility (American Society of Reproductive Medicine)
Lung Disease – Impact On Lungs Of One Cannabis Joint Equal To Up To Five Cigarettes (British Medical Journal)
Lung Disease – Long-term Marijuana Smoking Leads To Respiratory Complaints (Archives of Internal Medicine Journal)
Lung Disease – Marijuana Smoke Contains Higher Levels Of Certain Toxins Than Tobacco Smoke (ACS Chemical Research In Toxicology Journal)
Lung Disease – Marijuana Smokers Face Rapid Lung Destruction — As Much As 20 Years Ahead Of Tobacco Smokers (Respirology Journal)
Lung Disease – Marijuana Worsens COPD Symptoms In Current Cigarette Smokers (American Thoracic Society)
Obesity – Machinery Of The ‘Marijuana Munchies’ (Neuron Journal)
Pregnancy Failure – Marijuana Use Causes Early Pregnancy Failure (Journal of Clinical Investigation)
Viral Infection – Marijuana Component Opens The Door For Virus That Causes Kaposi’s Sarcoma (Cancer Research Journal)
Viral Infection – Regular Marijuana Use Increases Risk Of Hepatitis C-related Liver Damage (AGA Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology Journal)

Myths:
Pain Relief – Oral Cannabis Ineffective In Treating Acute Pain (Journal of the American Society of Anesthesiologists)

Sociological:
African-American Girls Who Use Marijuana Engage In Riskier Sex, Have Higher STD Rate (School of Public Health, Emory University)
Cannabis Almost Doubles Risk Of Fatal Crashes (British Medical Journal)
Early Exposure To Drugs, Alcohol Creates Lifetime Of Health Risk (Psychological Science Journal)
Emotional Intelligence And The Use Of Tobacco And Cannabis (UAB Department of General, Development and Educational Psychology)
Frequent Family Meals Might Reduce Teen Substance Use (Journal of Adolescent Health)
Glamorization Of Drugs In Rap Music Jumped Dramatically Over 2 Decades (Addiction Research & Theory Journal)
Malt Liquor Linked To Marijuana Use Among Young Adults (Psychology of Addictive Behaviors Journal)
One Of Every Three Popular Songs Contains References To Substance Use (American Public Health Association)
Pop Stars More Than Twice As Likely To Die An Early Death (British Medical Journal)
References To Explicit Substance Use Common In Popular Music (Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine Journal)
Religiosity Curbs Teen Marijuana Use By Half (Journal of Drug Issues)
Researchers Find Factors That Encourage Cannabis Use Among University Students (Journal of Applied Biobehavioral Research)
Rising Teen Marijuana Use Is Fueled By Change In Attitudes (American Journal of Public Health)
United States Has Highest Level Of Illegal Cocaine And Cannabis Use (PLoS Medicine Journal)

What your stupid pot buddies never told you this? Morons.

Poptech on February 3, 2009 at 8:00 AM