Steele: “This is awesome”

posted at 5:15 pm on January 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

A message from the new leader of the party — or rather, the other new leader. It wasn’t easy getting here:

Steele won after a highly coordinated yet under-the-radar campaign in which his whip team sought to convince members that the RNC needed to reach out to centrist voters with a new voice.

He hop-scotched the country for months, meeting with members in their home states. At a candidates’ forum Thursday night, Steele said he had raised about $250,000, making the race for RNC chairman likely the most expensive per capita in history.

Quote: “To my friends in the northeast: Get ready, baby, it’s time to turn it on.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I hope Steele will live up to the glorious standard of our two black Republican politicians of the past…Obama voters Colin Powell and JC Watts. Did I forget anyone?

Buddahpundit on January 31, 2009 at 10:35 PM

The Republicans ought to use the “Steel” character from DC Comics as an non-authorized type icon. He was a superman stand in during the “Death of Superman” series.

Mojave Mark on January 31, 2009 at 1:58 PM

I second that! Mr. Steele already bears a slight resemblance to that character, and it would have the added benefit of sticking a thorn in Obama’s side, since he already believes he is Superman.

OneVision on January 31, 2009 at 10:41 PM

If Steele craps all over the conservatives like McCain did, the GOP will lose even more seats in the house and the senate. You are just not going to get around the fact that the conservatives WERE and are the only base for the GOP. If the RINO’s are going to be in charge, then they are done for the rest of our lifetimes and will probably never recover. Conservatives will look for or create a stronger libertarian party while they sit, watch and clean their guns.

Bikerken on January 31, 2009 at 11:55 PM

I haven’t seen more rationalization since….well the Democrats. Go ahead, support a RINO and Conservatives will find another party to vote for and the GOP/RNC will lose, thus the Country will lose, Republicans have no one to blame but themselves.

In other words, Republicans have begun to look just as pathetic as the Democrats.

nelsonknows on February 1, 2009 at 12:26 AM

Yep. That’s the unfortunate truth: Conservatives are now very weary and cautious after being misrepresented so ardently by many.

I respect Steele, I’m glad he’s the Chairman, no complaints from me, but after the Powell fiasco of finding out what and who he actually was, it’s become far more difficult to believe, Black or not. Same about McCain though I never maintained any ideals about McCain that he was a Conservative and despite my support for Bush (much support for him), I also am under no delusions that he was not Conservative as much as he is Moderate (save but for defense and our military and his pro-life beliefs, which are admirable, and which I do admire).

I hope that Steele can get to the heart of just what the arguments are among the Right, and flush-out the element that hates one or another among the Right. If he can do that, we’ll do very well in the future.

S on February 1, 2009 at 1:55 AM

Buddahpundit on January 31, 2009 at 10:35 PM

So wrong, yet so true. Still, I hope he does the party proud.

chunderroad on February 1, 2009 at 2:54 AM

Buddhapundit:

That was a nasty thing to say. That kind of attitude has a lot to do with why Republicans are losing.

Steele is not Powell, the fact that both men are African American does not make him a twin.

I am glad Steele won. Once upon a time the Republican party was the major party in states like New York and California. It might be a good idea to try and make that happen again. That is if you really want to win elections.

And as far as McCain crapping all over conservatives, he won that nomination largely because people on the right could not stop crapping all over everyone running for the nomination. They complained, they whined, they undermined, they pouted, they threatened, they wallowed in self pity and a false sense of betrayal and yet they never seemed to stop and think…why can’t we win elections.

I voted for McCain/Palin because I did not want to see Barck Obama win the election. I voted for the Republican in my district because I did not want to see the Democrats win a huge victory.

Meanwhile, the same people who are complaining about Obama today may or may not have voted, complained if they did, refused to come with a viable alternative and even now when the RNC gets a new chairman their knee jerk reaction is to whine, complain, accuse people of abandoning them and in general act like a bunch of sore loser cry babies.

Terrye on February 1, 2009 at 6:45 AM

Buddhapundit:

Open your mind to reality, Terrye. Facts are your friends.

Terrye on February 1, 2009 at 6:45 AM

It’s interesting that you would take this opportunity to whine about conservatives. Isn’t Steele supposed to save us from the mess McCain made? I’m getting mixed messages – are we supposed to open our hearts more to rinoism or are we supposed to expect Steele to save us from rinoism by returning us to the Republican principles he talks about?

Buddahpundit on February 1, 2009 at 11:39 AM

You’re talking to the biggest RINO on this site Buddha. Terrye has on many occaisions said she is not a conservative and claimed the label of RINO with pride. She was bigtime in favor of the Shamnesty debacle and Harriet Myers and is one of those ‘moderates’ who think that conservatives don’t belong in the republican party…unless they dump their conservatism. Don’t listen to that dweeb.

Bikerken on February 1, 2009 at 1:32 PM

The sooner we all stop looking at race, and look to the content within one’s heart and mind, the better off we will be as a party and as a country.

Powell and Watts disappointed me. Redemption is always possible for them both, but at the moment, I don’t hear from those guys while we take on the biggest liberal onslaught on national sensibilities in our lifetimes.

Michael Steele could be the best thing to happen to GOP, but let us judge him by his actions and not by emotion. For the record, I am a supporter and wish him the very best of luck in his new position. He’s going to need it, and us as well.

itzWicks on February 2, 2009 at 1:06 PM