Steele: “This is awesome”

posted at 5:15 pm on January 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

A message from the new leader of the party — or rather, the other new leader. It wasn’t easy getting here:

Steele won after a highly coordinated yet under-the-radar campaign in which his whip team sought to convince members that the RNC needed to reach out to centrist voters with a new voice.

He hop-scotched the country for months, meeting with members in their home states. At a candidates’ forum Thursday night, Steele said he had raised about $250,000, making the race for RNC chairman likely the most expensive per capita in history.

Quote: “To my friends in the northeast: Get ready, baby, it’s time to turn it on.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

McCain was a self-proclaimed RINO; Steele is a self-proclaimed Reagan consevative and proud of it. Let’s take both of the men at their word.

technopeasant on January 30, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Once again, EXACTLY the kind of attitue the GOP does not need. No more “RINO” crud, please. Steele will put a stop to that.

JetBoy on January 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM

And all without playing the race card.

roninacreage on January 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Does that jog anyone’s memory?

InCali on January 30, 2009 at 5:49 PM

No, but it does remind me of Hussein promise to put them out of business.

Kini on January 30, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Cindy Munford on January 30, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Zactly. Tried explaining that to some folks this morning. I don’t think it seeped through.

We aren’t going to win with infighting. Of course, I don’t think we should make room for high tax, big government idiots in our party, but if some people disagree with homoseshual marriage or abortion, we shouldn’t castrate them. In the end, big government leads to tyranny.

blatantblue on January 30, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Congratulations to Gov. Steele, I sure he’ll prove to be a very competent and able chairman.

Cr4sh Dummy on January 30, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Incorrect. The GOP’s problem is the message

So being for fiscal responcibility and strong national defense and important social conservative values is a bad message ?????

Obama didnt win on his message (Name a single major policy he advocated that wasnt a “Im not GW Bush” stance “) he won because he got his organization out to get people out to vote. Obama had something like 50 offices here in Ohio to McCain’s 3.

Obama just beat us because he was far better organized not because his message was superior.

William Amos on January 30, 2009 at 6:04 PM

Cindy Munford on January 30, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Well, the GOP is more than welcome to be as lovey-dovey as they feel is necessary. This independent/conservative still wants to see actual Constitutionality return to American governance. I don’t care what party comes up with it. I just honestly don’t think it’ll be from Democrats.

Spc Steve on January 30, 2009 at 6:04 PM

blatantblue on January 30, 2009 at 6:00 PM

There are a lot of things socially that I may disagree with but if it is put before the people I will accept their decision. I am not crazy about judges who write law. I am willing to compromise and I think it can be done.

Cindy Munford on January 30, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Hooray for Mike Steele! Having an African-American at the helm of the party of Lincoln is just what the the ol’ elephant needs!
This is the kind of Hope & Change I can believe in!
Congratulations!

Bruno Strozek on January 30, 2009 at 6:07 PM

This is awesome!

AbaddonsReign on January 30, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Cindy Munford on January 30, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Spc Steve on January 30, 2009 at 6:04 PM

I tend to think if we focus on liberty, freedom (especially speech nowadays), low taxes, low government intervention and their relation to job creation, and a strong national defense, we will have a winning message.

I also think we can make good with the religious and social conservatives. Reagan is a good example.

blatantblue on January 30, 2009 at 6:08 PM

“Freedom” always works for me. I have never heard that word or concept from our President. You never hear him speak of it at all. That is a great message and always has been. Getting it out in new ways is probably the way to go. Lord knows we have seen little of it since Jan. 20.

BetseyRoss on January 30, 2009 at 6:09 PM

I just honestly don’t think it’ll be from Democrats.

Spc Steve on January 30, 2009 at 6:04 PM

I am a bit pessimistic about the repubs doing it either based on their performance during the Bush years.
But any step in the right direction will be welcome.

Corsair on January 30, 2009 at 6:09 PM

William Amos on January 30, 2009 at 6:04 PM

Not to mention the funding Hussein got from questionable donors.

That’s never been thoroughly looked into.

Kini on January 30, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Corsair on January 30, 2009 at 6:09 PM

We have a stake in this to. We were to complacent on spending during W’s administration. We can’t let that happen again regardless of who controls Congress or the White House. Your folks in Congress should be your best pen pal.

Cindy Munford on January 30, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Infrastructure is the steak. Message is the sizzle. Take away the sizzle from a steak leaves you just with a bland taste in your mouth and not much motivation to GOTV.

technopeasant on January 30, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Cindy Munford on January 30, 2009 at 6:12 PM

I’m with you on that chica

blatantblue on January 30, 2009 at 6:14 PM

And all without playing the race card.

roninacreage on January 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Unless you believe the koskiddies lol

ArmyAunt on January 30, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Congratulations and God speed to you Mr. Steele.

It is great seeing you up there in a leadership role.

Unlike Obama,you actually have a history of achievement on your way to top leadership.

Baxter Greene on January 30, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Best thing about that speech by Steele is that the first word he used to describe himself was “servant.” This is a word I have yet to hear out of Barack Obama’s mouth. Steele understands that in our system, our elected leaders serve US, not the other way around – whether they are party leaders or national government leaders.

rockmom on January 30, 2009 at 6:18 PM

This is the beginning of the great conservative revolution of 2012 of not 2010.

“Get ready to get knocked over”

- The Cat

MirCat on January 30, 2009 at 6:19 PM

MirCat on January 30, 2009 at 6:19 PM

And HotAir will supply the booze!

blatantblue on January 30, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Michael Steele has a political resume that he earned. He didn’t crawl out of the Chicago Machine cesspool propelled by radical socialists. He isn’t a media myth or an affirmative action wannabee.

Gee, he’s actually middle-aged and hasn’t written two tomes contemplating his navel. How novel!!

I wish Michael the best, and I expect him to do his best.

And I hope Chris Matthews doesn’t try dry hump his leg at a public appearance. He has some weird thing about black men, the racist bastard.

Cody1991 on January 30, 2009 at 6:21 PM

I like Steele’s enthusiasm and confidence. I understand some folks have their problems with him but I think he’ll work hard and do good things for the GOP.

V15J on January 30, 2009 at 6:22 PM

I gotta listen to this again; stirring. Although I will skip MSNBC’s analysis whatever it was that they did at the end.

- The Cat

MirCat on January 30, 2009 at 6:24 PM

first step for the new RNC Chair is to remove the word “awesome” from his vocabulary

gatorboy on January 30, 2009 at 6:28 PM

And all without playing the race card.

roninacreage on January 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Zing!

RalphyBoy on January 30, 2009 at 6:28 PM

of course MSNBC discounts Steele’s win because he is black

gatorboy on January 30, 2009 at 6:29 PM

I have said this before.Steele is a consev.not as consev as me or Rush and others but he is the real deal.I think he will not be afraid to take it to the Dems or Pres.Obama.I hope so anyway congrats Chairman Steele.

thmcbb on January 30, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Cindy Munford on January 30, 2009 at 6:12 PM

I agree, I need to make the time to communicate more with my local and national politicians. It is hard when you work lots of hour and have a family, but they need the reminder of what the promised while campaigning. When they took over I just assumed they would do what they said. Silly me.

Corsair on January 30, 2009 at 6:31 PM

V15J on January 30, 2009 at 6:22 PM

I live in Maryland and have been somewhat familiar with his political career. He’ll be a big asset in building and strengthening the Republican Party.

Red State State of Mind on January 30, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Corsair on January 30, 2009 at 6:31 PM

The curse of that hell that is Washington, D.C.

Cindy Munford on January 30, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Right Man for the Right Time

Dr Evil on January 30, 2009 at 6:41 PM

But is he authentically black?

JiangxiDad on January 30, 2009 at 6:45 PM

But is he authentically black?

JiangxiDad on January 30, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Well, it’s unlikely that Soros will pay the NAACP to shut down a debate on Steele. At least that’s the scuttlebutt.

Wrong party for a payout on that debate. ;)

Cody1991 on January 30, 2009 at 6:50 PM

I don’t envy Michael Steele his job. Be careful what you wish for, Mr. Steele.

Halli Casser-Jayne
http:;//www.thecjpoliticalreport.com

The CJ Political Report on January 30, 2009 at 6:53 PM

William Amos on January 30, 2009 at 6:39 PM

David Cameron isn’t a good role model. He’s to much of an apologizer Euro softie.

the_nile on January 30, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Congratulations on selecting a leader who lost his most recent election by an even greater margin than mccain/palin.

benny shakar on January 30, 2009 at 6:55 PM

benny shakar on January 30, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Racist.

the_nile on January 30, 2009 at 6:56 PM

god…all the reasons they gave had nothing to do with why he was voted for…so sad

tomas on January 30, 2009 at 7:00 PM

I am sure that Time Magazine will start putting Michael Steele on the cover of a least six magazines……….

…………… with flowing, glowing articles of his accomplishment.

…………………. What?

Seven Percent Solution on January 30, 2009 at 7:10 PM

rockmom on January 30, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Excellent point! Arrogance is the original sin of politics. It will take a deeply, sincerely humble person to sit down in the Oval Office in 2012 and begin doing what very few people have ever been able to do, in the history of the world: voluntarily begin giving massive amounts of power away. It’s a mission that will be over a trillion dollars harder than it was in 2008, and it was already almost unbearably difficult. How many people can take billions of dollars they could have spent as they saw fit, to support any causes they feel are just, and hand them back to the public – nearly half of whom voted against him, perhaps with visceral hatred?

Most conservatives would have been ecstatic if, say, Bush’s second term had seen a 10 or 20 percent reduction in taxes and federal spending. (Heck, most of us would have been thrilled if Bush had just kept spending from growing.) And yet, by 2012, a 20-percent real reduction in federal spending will be almost meaningless – a token gesture towards cutting waste, not the epochal reform it would have been in 2004. That is the magnitude of the tragedy facing America today. McCain was surely no one’s idea of a conservative champion, but those who sat home last November and let Obama get elected, because they thought it was better to have a Democrat than a Republican squish, should reflect that conservatism will most likely need to win two or three epic presidential victories just to get back to where we were under Bush… who had very few conservative policies outside of a tax cut.

Such is the mountain Michael Steele and his party must climb. Godspeed, Mr. Steele.

Doctor Zero on January 30, 2009 at 7:14 PM

It didn’t hurt that he lied about taking public financing either, allowing him to outspend McCain 5 to 1. That’s why he had 20 offices in Ohio to McCain’s 3. He could afford it. You can raise a lot of money when you accept contributions from folks abroad who believe you hate America as much as they do, and who believe you will do all you can to undermine everything that makes this country the great nation that it is.

xblade on January 30, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Well the RNC has its new leader and I think Michael Steele is a step in the right direction and I wish him luck. So now rather than squabbling amongst ourselves its time to unite under the banner of the core conservative principles that we all agree and identify with and craft a message that will resonate with voters.

Strong National Defence, Limited Government, Lower Taxes, Fiscal responsibility, Liberty and Justice, Honesty, Integrity, Hard work, and Personal Responsibility.

Remember “United we stand divided we fall”.

Dreadnought223 on January 30, 2009 at 7:40 PM

I like him. I have heard him speak several times and his message is straight forward and clear.

He will do a good job.

PaKeystoner on January 30, 2009 at 7:53 PM

benny shakar on January 30, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Seemed to work for the Democrats and Howard Dean

DaveO on January 30, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Who is the clown that referred to this process of selecting the RNC chair as a “Student Council” event?

Good grief! The President of the Student Council is sitting in the White House.

I am pleased for the Michael Steele selection. He appears to be a deliberative thinker and speaker on behalf of conservative Republican ideals. He has a vision for getting that message out to the general voting public.

onlineanalyst on January 30, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Congratulations, Michael, I have been pulling for you….
Now, GET TO WORK!!!!!:)

DL13 on January 30, 2009 at 8:07 PM

He should have a pretty easy job. With The Buffoon in office, 2010 and 2012 should be cakewalks!

SouthernGent on January 30, 2009 at 8:11 PM

cause um…it is time to heal with steele behind the wheel..and stuff.

tomas on January 30, 2009 at 8:15 PM

…………… with flowing, glowing articles of his accomplishment.

…………………. What?

Seven Percent Solution on January 30, 2009 at 7:10 PM

That would be…surreal.

hillbillyjim on January 30, 2009 at 8:18 PM

This is Awesome

No kidding! I am psyched!
Congratulations Mr. Steele!

4shoes on January 30, 2009 at 8:21 PM

My Senator is Black.

How many Hot Air-heads can say that?

Mew

acat on January 30, 2009 at 5:31 PM

My Senator is Conservative. How many Americans can say that?

Squiggy on January 30, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Did you have to embed MSNBC? Couldn’t we celebrate this without some MSNBC snob telling us we only did this to hide our racism… and Rush Limbaugh’s racism?

Micheal on January 30, 2009 at 8:27 PM

I think he should have invoked Lincoln, the father of the Republican Party, which would have been a more authentic invocation than what we witnessed on inauguration day.

Laserjock on January 30, 2009 at 9:17 PM

I am more conservative than Michael Steele, but I like this guy. You know why? Because he wants to kick Democrap @$$. I want him to smack around Barry O and his toadies in Congress, and I want to see conservatives elected nationwide. For those that think Steele is too moderate, I suggest you’ll find that his tenure leads to far greater numbers of conservatives in office.

I’m looking forward to seeing what this guy can accomplish.

fiatboomer on January 30, 2009 at 9:22 PM

In 2005 Jay Nordlinger wrote an illuminating article about Michael Steele during his Senate campaign titled A Horse of a Different Color (h/t The Corner).

For nearly 15 years, the Republican Party has been through the desert on a horse with no name. We need more than a high profile hobby horse to lead us back to the promised land. Michael Steele may not get us all the way there, but he seems to understand that first he must stop the exodus and turn us in the right direction.

Terrie on January 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Looks and sounds like McCain Jr. Hope I’m wrong, but….

james23 on January 30, 2009 at 9:44 PM

I wish this guy was POTUS instead of hrnc.

TheSitRep on January 30, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Steele sounds like the guy who will actually fight.
To quote someone else:

I like this man. He fights
The Great Abraham Lincoln

Ulysses S Grant wasn’t perfect, but he was the best we had. I think the very same about Steele. Hopefully he takes a page from El Rushbo and helps the GOP grow a pair.

Chaz706 on January 30, 2009 at 10:35 PM

I don’t know where people get the idea that Steele is a RINO. He is a true conservative. He admires Sarah Palin, and that alone was enough to earn my support. This RNC race is proof that he knows how to win an election as an underdog from the grassroots.

joe_doufu on January 30, 2009 at 11:04 PM

2. He grew up in a family of Democrats. Steele credits his mother, Maebell, and Ronald Reagan with turning him toward the Republican Party. Reagan’s pull-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps message recalled a trait Steele’s mother exhibited after her first husband, Steele’s father, died in 1962 of alcoholism-related liver disease. She refused to go on welfare. Instead, she went to work as a laundress earning minimum wage to support Michael and his sister.

Schadenfreude on January 30, 2009 at 11:47 PM

JetBoy on January 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM

I’ve used the term disparagingly more times than I care to count, but you’re right. If we are to be taken seriously, it’s time we start acting serious.

Congratulations, Michael – let’s hear the ideas that you have for leading the party. Maybe this job will lead you to something great, for all of us.

Jaibones on January 30, 2009 at 11:56 PM

joe_doufu on January 30, 2009 at 11:04 PM

I wonder what that does for the people who might like his views, but despise the lovely Gov. from Alaska. Like, for example, Allah.

Jaibones on January 30, 2009 at 11:58 PM

My Senator is Black. How many Hot Air-heads can say that?

acat on January 30, 2009 at 5:31 PM

My Senator is a black nitwit liberal who lost his last 4 elections, but was appointed by an impeached Governor who is going to Federal prison on corruption charges.

Is that what you meant, dickeater? I’m just keepin’ it real, pussy cat.

My Senator is Conservative. How many Americans can say that?

Squiggy on January 30, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Very, very few.

Jaibones on January 31, 2009 at 12:02 AM

My Senator is Conservative. How many Americans can say that?

Squiggy on January 30, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Mine actually represents Ohio (Sherrod Brown) and those who were silenced by Reagan. He does so unlike some red states(South Carolina, Texas, Alabama, etc.) that think of their citizens as steerage compared to the foreign interests they really represent.

Can you say that about yours?

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 12:32 AM

My Senator is a black nitwit liberal

My Senator is Little Dick Dubran.

Pity me.

VinceP1974 on January 31, 2009 at 12:35 AM

This is the beginning of the great conservative revolution of 2012 2016 2020 sometime.

FIFY.

“Get ready to get knocked over”

Words best said to Steele.

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 12:36 AM

Fantastic! A northern black pro-choice Catholic. . . WHERE DO I SIGN UP?!

ThackerAgency on January 31, 2009 at 1:30 AM

Fantastic! A northern black pro-choice Catholic. . . WHERE DO I SIGN UP?!

ThackerAgency on January 31, 2009 at 1:30 AM

Depends on your locality’s laws on indicating political affiliation.

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 1:59 AM

Among these postings is the template the MSM and the Left intend to use in the future in their attempt to diminish Steele’s ability to counter the Messiah’s dream of imposing a radical socialist agenda on America. It consists of:

1)Steele being a ‘token’ pick that is not representative of how the GOP truly feels and is simply noblesse oblige on a temporary basis.

2)The only reason that Steele won is that he is black, in a far-fetched attempt to neutralize Obama and protect the interests of the white ‘fat cats’.

3)Steele is not a true red-blooded conservative but a RINO is disguise in the mode of John McCain. He has been foisted on to the GOP in a clandestine manner by sinister backroom RINO forces to aid Obama and McCain in their efforts to destroy the conservative movement in America.

4)Steele is anti-gun, pro-abortion and wants to run the social conservatives out of the Republican Party.

Now if you are a Republican member or a conservative and you believe this load of crap then you deserve the permanent Presidency of Obama once he abolishes the 22nd Amendment.

Again as I have posted earlier Steele is not as conservative as some in the party and certainly not as moderate as others. But he is a CONSERVATIVE and can communicate the Republican message effectively and keep the GOP in the news consistently. That is the bottom line.

technopeasant on January 31, 2009 at 6:54 AM

Here it comes:
“I am sick of nig-roes who just don’t get it!”
–Jeremiah Wright

The opposition is going to call him a race traitor the same way leftists treat Michelle for being a conservative.

Congratulations, Michael. Now fix this crap and I’ll consider sending the RNC some money. Right now, you get NOTHING.

Black Adam on January 31, 2009 at 7:04 AM

Congrats, Michael!

GOP: Steel up with Steele. Now that’s hope I can believe in.

petefrt on January 31, 2009 at 8:08 AM

I really don’t care about the color of this mans skin. The Republican/Conservative message should be the same regardless of who says it. What matters is his position on the issues.

He has some good things going for him and some solid conservative stances. On the other hand:

1. He is in favor is more affirmative action and set asides for minorities.
2. He opposes the death penalty.
3. While saying he is a supporter of the 2nd amendment he supports increased restrictions such as the assault weapons ban and further restrictions on concealed carry.
4. While saying that he personally is pro life, he supports Roe and is not in favor of overturning it.
5. While saying he believes marriage is between a man and a woman he does not support a federal marriage amendment to establish that.

Other than their differences on immigration I’m not sure how this is so much different than McCains’ democrat-lite message that just went down to defeat.

So no, I’m not all excited about Steele’s selection and I’m no more ready to unify behind the above listed stances than I was yesterday. It’s high time to take true conservative stances and be a real alternative to democrats rather than a pale imitation of them. It seems the Republican party has missed another opportunity to do that.

SoonerMarine on January 31, 2009 at 10:07 AM

It will be interesting to see how much attention he gets during Black History month.

In the Augusta Chronicle, his win was noted on page 4.

mindhacker on January 31, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Show ‘em how its done Mr. Steele. You da man.

johnnyU on January 31, 2009 at 11:48 AM

No more “RINO” crud, please. Steele will put a stop to that.
JetBoy on January 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Yep. That’s what we’re all hoping for: a return to Reaganism and an end to the Bush-McCain “pre-emptive compromising” that’s been eating the Republican Party away like a cancer.

logis on January 31, 2009 at 12:22 PM

I wish this guy was POTUS instead of hrnc.

TheSitRep on January 30, 2009 at 9:48 PM

I chuckled.

I am very excited about this. I voted for Mike in ’06 (I was 22, so he does have the ability to grab younger voters IMO), but it’s Maryland, and they throw Oreos and run the credit of those not in the Dem Party on the plantation. I think he’ll do a great job.

I wonder if Rush can loan him the Official Obama Criticizer trademark. I am anticipating him getting under Dear Leader’s skin.

Dubn8tr on January 31, 2009 at 12:41 PM

JetBoy on January 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM

It was indeed Reagan that introduced “The Eleventh Commandment.” Thou Shalt Not Berate Thy Fellow Republican. So you might have a point.

Then again, I think its good sometimes to remind the base who the RINOs are, so as not to put them in the top positions. Why do you think McCain was rejected?

Maxx on January 31, 2009 at 12:56 PM

By liberal standards, isn’t Steele more authentically black than Obama? I assume Steele is actually the ancestor of slaves and isn’t only half black. Obama is really more of an oreo than Steele.

Mark1971 on January 30, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Thank you: You helped me coin yet ANOTHER moniker for our new President: “OreoBama!”

sanantonian on January 31, 2009 at 1:28 PM

In the Augusta Chronicle, his win was noted on page 4.

mindhacker on January 31, 2009 at 11:28 AM

He won’t get any: It’s REAL name is: “[Leftist] Black History Month.”

sanantonian on January 31, 2009 at 1:30 PM

The Republicans ought to use the “Steel” character from DC Comics as an non-authorized type icon. He was a superman stand in during the “Death of Superman” series.

Mojave Mark on January 31, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Mojave Mark on January 31, 2009 at 1:58 PM

One of my faves

Dubn8tr on January 31, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Say, isn’t Steele not only the first Black RNC chief, but the first black chief of either party?

Iblis on January 31, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Is the quote of him saying “Bush is my homeboy” accurate. I weep for black America…..

DeathToMediaHacks on January 31, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Red, you may want to rethink that. Because of what I am posting from someone who is quite the baiter.

Now I will kindly leave Hot Air, a place full of FAUX CONS!

BobAnthony on January 31, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Thanks for the link. I read it. It doesn’t change my opinion and it’s very presumptive of the writer to assume Steele’s support is based on his skin color. How can he preseume to know the motivations of the 91 or so RNC members who voted for Steele? Along those lines, are you presuming to know the motivations of the HA posters here who supported him or supported other canidates?
I am familiar with Steele. I’ve heard him speak a number of times here in Maryland and I followed his actions when he was Lt Gov. He’s a good person for this position because of his qualifications and skills, not because of his skin color.
Not so long ago, people could belong to the Republican Party based on what the Party represents. I’d like to see things return to that prior condition, where values and ideas trump race or gender.

Red State State of Mind on January 31, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Micheal Steel is an excellent choice, and I think the right choice.

I second JetBoy’s 01/31 5:58 PM post saying no more comments attacking Republicans as RINOs. Michael Steele wrote in the Politico about one month ago that Republicans needed to cease fire among themselves. Michael was right. We need instead to focus on opposing Obama socialism in domestic policy and Obama appeasement in foreign policy.

That means dropping dumb attacks on McCain, who is steadfastly opposing the Democrat “stimulus” bill and who has always been a hawk in foreign policy (among other things, he successfully opposed Democrat efforts to lose in Iraq).

Phil Byler on January 31, 2009 at 7:37 PM

What would you suggest we call the Olympia Snowes of the Party? Stalwarts?

sanantonian on January 31, 2009 at 8:33 PM

What would you suggest we call the Olympia Snowes of the Party? Stalwarts?

sanantonian on January 31, 2009 at 8:33 PM

I think the point he is trying to make is to stop calling names. Many Republicans are staunch conservatives; others are strong conservatives; some are more LIbertarian on some key issues; and some are liberal by Republican standards. Those that don’t like RINOs can do a few things:
Don’t vote for them.
Support alternative candidates in the primary seasons.

The infighting can actually hurt the party if it goes on too long and does not result in any change. Most of us that post here on HA fall more to the conservative side of the spectrum, but let’s not villify those that have more moderate views.
From what I know about Sen. Snowe, I would describe her as a liberal Republican. Personally,if I lived in Maine I’d look for a more conservative candidate if someone stepped forward and challenged her in a primary. But if the Senate ends up 59 to 41, and she is one of those 41 and she stands with the Republicans on an important issue and helps stop the DEMs from steamrolling some terrible legislation, I’ll be grateful that she has an R next to her name.
Make sense?