Report: Ted Nugent might run for NRA president

posted at 5:55 pm on January 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

Just the man gun-rights advocates need to counter the left’s stereotype of them as belligerent, wild-eyed cranks.

But Nugent tells Whispers he stands ready to battle the antigunners in Washington. “Clearly, the NRA is the ultimate ‘we the people,’ family, grass-roots organization for what is clearly Job 1 for free men everywhere: to guarantee our God-given right to keep and bear arms and defend ourselves,” he tells our Suzi Parker. “To be so honored to participate in any way, as an NRA board member or the ultimate honor of serving as president, would surely be a duty I would put my heart and soul into. I am genuinely moved that it is even being discussed. I am ready, willing, and able to serve if the good NRA members call upon me.”

From August 2007, here’s the would-be chief executive displaying his lobbying skills. Content warning.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I love ted nugent..
At least he knows how to control his weapon..

No not a liberals mouth ..
but a real weapon..

jcila on January 30, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Rallying the base is important, but so is winning people over to conservative ideas. It wasn’t that long ago the NRA got terrible publicity with the ad about “jackbooted government thugs”–including the President of the United States publicly resigning. I may have agreed with the underlying sentiment of the ad, but it did not help the NRA. It took Mr. Heston, a well-respected man with a commanding manner, to help repair the NRA’s image. I have trouble believing the man in this video, although perhaps right in his ideals and articulate in other venues, will win many people to conservatism.

DrMagnolias on January 30, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Ted Nugent is a whackjob. Why would any self respecting human being want him to lead any organization?

CABE on January 30, 2009 at 8:08 PM

OT (sort of): Obama wants to cut the military budget by 10%. And some of you say Ted is crazy.

baldilocks on January 30, 2009 at 8:10 PM

This is the first time I think more than a few of my HotAir brethren are crazy.

Did you cats actually watch that video? Watch it again. Twice. That is not acceptable behavior, and furthermore, it’s bordering on criminal.

As firearm owners, we should respect firearms, and not wave them around like nut making boorish quasi-threats. I didn’t mind Heston when he held up the musket, but this is way over the line, and it will be played a million times in the press if Ted ever were to reach the NRA seat in question. This man can not be the NRA’s PR guy.

If a leftie were to be so crazed on stage -and they do it all the time- we’d be justified in our disgust.

Again, watch Allah’s vid with an objective mind please.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 7:45 PM

And I’d like to add he’s a lousy guitarist/song writer/musician.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 8:11 PM

CABE on January 30, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Um, effectiveness? Getting the job done? Countering the insane left?

Exactly who are you afraid he’ll alienate?

Squiggy on January 30, 2009 at 8:12 PM

I’ve followed Ted Nugent for many years and know his persona. Nevertheless, I just watched the video to see what AP and others here were whining about. I admit, I was startled with his open anti-Hussein tirade. But when he shouted “Freedom”, that did it for me! This guy has it deep down in his soul! It is way, way past time for those who love liberty that are left in this country to stand up and fight the enemies of freedom, whereever and whoever they are. And with this country awash in communist fervor, I figure its high time for conservatives and libertarians to get “in your face” with the “one finger salute” to these despicable bastards. No more rolling over or going along to get along. Screw “bipartisanship”. And we all know that the left will smear and besmirch any NRA spokesperson, no matter how mild mannered or polite. To hell with that! Go Nuge!!

blackelkspeaks on January 30, 2009 at 8:12 PM

And I’d like to add he’s a lousy guitarist/song writer/musician.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Where can I buy any of your platinum-selling album’s?

Squiggy on January 30, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Again, watch Allah’s vid with an objective mind please.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 7:45 PM

That video has been around a while and this site has used it before to try to paint Nugent in a bad light. Instead of basing your entire judgment off a one minute video, try having an objective mind yourself and look into all the good Nugent has done on behalf of gun owners, the environment and kids.

clearbluesky on January 30, 2009 at 8:17 PM

baldilocks on January 30, 2009 at 8:10 PM

That’s to be expected from the most liberal POTUS ever. It sucks, but has little to do with this topic.

Ted is still nuts.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Ted’s the juvenile delinquent I wanna be when I grow up.

TinMan13 on January 30, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Where can I buy any of your platinum-selling album’s?

Squiggy on January 30, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Mine are next to Britiney Spears, Puff Daddy and GWAR. They are also fine song writers and musicians, no?

=============

clearbluesky on January 30, 2009 at 8:17 PM

KIDS? Is that how you want to kids to behave w/firearms? WTF?

And Ted doesn’t even have his firearm terminology correct. The guy is a fool.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 8:23 PM

KIDS? Is that how you want to kids to behave w/firearms? WTF?

And Ted doesn’t even have his firearm terminology correct. The guy is a fool.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Like i said, why don’t you try looking into it before jumping to conclusions. Here’s where you can get started.

clearbluesky on January 30, 2009 at 8:17 PM

And now that i think about it, there used to be a longer version of this video where Nugent makes a speech thanking and saluting the troops. Funny how that version doesn’t seem to be on youtube anymore.

clearbluesky on January 30, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Nugent, regardless of whether you agree with him on issues or not, is a redneck. Either the NRA screwed up in appointing someone who is not representative of them, or they screwed up in appointing someone that IS representative of them. Either way, the image of the rube redneck remains.

keep the change on January 30, 2009 at 8:29 PM

baldilocks on January 30, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Ted is still nuts.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 8:17 PM

OT equals Off Topic; no need for you to repeat what I have already said.

baldilocks on January 30, 2009 at 8:31 PM

keep the change on January 30, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Horrors. Let’s expel such people from the country. Like Bill Clinton.

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 8:32 PM

keep the change on January 30, 2009 at 8:29 PM

And you are a bigot.

baldilocks on January 30, 2009 at 8:33 PM

KIDS? Is that how you want to kids to behave w/firearms? WTF?

And Ted doesn’t even have his firearm terminology correct. The guy is a fool.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Was his finger on the trigger? Was he pointing it in an unsafe direction? Do you know if they were even loaded?

Then what is your beef?

By the way, from what I could see, he was holding up an AR, M4, or some variant thereof. If it expels rifle cartridges in quick succession, and is portable, then yes, it’s a machine gun. Brush up on your terminology.

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 8:37 PM

OT equals Off Topic; no need for you to repeat what I have already said.

But then you tried to bring “on topic”:

And some of you say Ted is crazy.

=========================

Oh yeah, I know the vid has been around for months. I remember when it came out, and I immediately changed my view on him. I think that vid shows the real Ted.

The highlight of that vid for me was when Ted said Senator Clinton ought to put his “machine gun” :rolleyes: into her vagina. What a great role model for kids.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 8:38 PM

I’m an NRA Benefactor Member and I like The Nuge on the NRA board. As NRA President (where he wouldn’t be “running” the Association…that’s what Wayne LaPierre does) I’m not so enthusiastic.

Like it or not, I think the Association benefits most from a Sandy Froman or Chuck Heston-type public face, not an outrageously in-your-face type.

JohnTant on January 30, 2009 at 8:40 PM

He’s a draft dodger who appears to have seen the light.

I love to rib liberals by telling them my dream ticket would be Michael Savage and Ted Nugent (in either order as pres / vice pres).

President of the NRA? That’d be interesting.

BowHuntingTexas on January 30, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Then what is your beef?

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 8:37 PM

If it was a “machine gun” [and it wasn't] Ted would have committed a slew of felonies in front of thousands of people. And yes, Ted pointed his “machine gun” in unsafe directions repeatedly.

Stop sniffing Ted’s jock and smell the coffee people. It’s unacceptable behavior.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 8:43 PM

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Something tells me there weren’t many kids at that show. So please let us know when he is suggesting the same thing when he’s being interviewed by Glenn Beck, or being the spokesperson for Drug Abuse Resistance Education (DARE), or helping found the straightedge movement that inspires young people to avoid drugs and alcohol.

Go ahead and watch “The Killers”, where Ronald Reagan plays a woman-beating criminal, and then tell me that makes him a bad role model for kids.

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Ok, I decided to do a little research. Last time I looked into him I had another set of beliefs about things. I realize now that most of what I thought about him was propaganda from enviroweenies and hippies.

I’d recoment checking out this and these

- The Cat

MirCat on January 30, 2009 at 8:48 PM

OK, Ted is not the ideal guy for what is after all a public relations job. I think that is pretty obvious. Other than that, I like him. His 1978 Double Live Gonzo album was one of my first and he´s still got it.

el gordo on January 30, 2009 at 8:48 PM

For the poeple saying he’s a lousy guitarist, wash your mouth!

Stranglehold is legendary.

This man rocks. This man hunts, but he hunts in caged areas, which is pretty lame.

He’s done alot for hunting rights, and he’s a proud American, but he’s certainly night a shining light to all.

But let’s give him his due. Stranglehold is a badass song.

Vincenzo on January 30, 2009 at 8:49 PM

By the way, if you were forced to hang out with Republicans’ most famous gun owner (Ted Nugent) or Democrats’ most famous (Howard Dean), whose it gonna be?

Needless to say, if I had to make the choice, it would be the one that screeches on stage while he’s singing…

Vincenzo on January 30, 2009 at 8:51 PM

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 8:45 PM

There’s a huge distinction between Laurence Olivier playing the evil Richard III and Ted Nugent suggesting a sitting Senator put a rifle in her vagina, and calling another female US Senator a “whore”.

Unacceptable.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 8:51 PM

Allahpundit

There you go again Allah, worried about what the liberals think. This is the kind of thinking that’s got the Conservative base in so much trouble, conducting our affairs based on what the liberals think.

The Nuge would make a great NRA president, I hope he gets it.

Maxx on January 30, 2009 at 8:52 PM

I am a gun owner but not an NRA member so I have no choice in the matter.

Join today.

Ted is perfect for this role. We need somebody to get gun owners fired up and focused on keeping the 2nd firmly in place with no creeping encroachment as the current NRA leadership sometimes seems to be ok with…

In case you didn’t notice AP but Ted is an entertainer, his stage personae is just that, a personae. The non-performing Ted is smart, articulate and can make the case clearly. Plus his over the top style might just kick some gun owners in the ass and get them to pay attention.

The stupid “assault” weapons ban will be coming back soon and we gun owners need to be sure to turn out in force to defend ourselves against creeping erosion of our right to defend ourselves. These idiots want to ban guns that look mean rather than actually prosecuting the laws already on the damn books.

If you value your freedom, buy a gun, learn to use it, join the NRA and never give an inch.

crashland on January 30, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Also, for the record, hunters are pretty much split down the middle what they think of Nugent. 50% think he’s great, 50% think he’s an embarassment becuase he makes all hunters look like idiots.

Vincenzo on January 30, 2009 at 8:52 PM

CABE on January 30, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Nugent is an American who understands and believes, correctly, that he is entitled to his constitutional rights. Only a leftist moonbat would think that indicates there is something wrong with him.

By the way, I think Marxists are whackjobs. I guess it’s in the eye of the beholder.

capitalist piglet on January 30, 2009 at 8:52 PM

And you are a bigot.

I’m disappointed. I didn’t think you would make personal insults to other members. That’s too common on here. Rather than address the topic, just insult the other poster you disagree with.

keep the change on January 30, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Machine gun:

Function: noun
: a gun for sustained rapid fire that uses bullets; broadly : an automatic weapon

And look at all these machine guns. What felonies would he have committed, pray tell? I didn’t see him transferring ownership of any machine guns. It’s legal to own them provided you go through a series of hoops to register them with the ATF and US Treasury Dept. At least a quarter of a million people own them, including friends of mine. You’re letting your hatred of The Nuge blind you to basic firearms ownership regulations.

And yes, Ted pointed his “machine gun” in unsafe directions repeatedly.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Um, up? He was holding them stock down by the barrel. That’s generally considered the safest direction next to pointed at the ground, in which case his hand would have been much closer to the trigger.

Try again.

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 8:54 PM

For the poeple saying he’s a lousy guitarist, wash your mouth!

I guess “good guitar playing” is subjective. He’s a good rock performer, I’ll give him that.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 8:54 PM

InTheBellyoftheBeast on January 30, 2009 at 7:46 PM

I would join if I could but my business ain’t doing well in Ca.’s anti-business climate. So do all members get to vote or is it left to the board or life members?

Ted may be a bit over the top but at least its in the right direction. Samuel Adams was thought to be a bit over the top as well in his day.

goat on January 30, 2009 at 8:54 PM

I agree that when he wants to, The Nuge can be a very persuasive and earnest champion for our rights. I’ve heard him on Hannity’s radio show a number of times and came away very impressed.

Unfortunately, I’m not persuaded to accept him as NRA President because in that role, the man should not be the message. I like him on the Board to keep the organization honest, but as a public face I’m not sold.

JohnTant on January 30, 2009 at 8:55 PM

OT equals Off Topic; no need for you to repeat what I have already said.
But then you tried to bring “on topic”:

Okay< Mommy.

baldilocks on January 30, 2009 at 8:56 PM

goat on January 30, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Goat, voting rights go to 5 year members, as well as Life and above.

JohnTant on January 30, 2009 at 8:56 PM

keep the change on January 30, 2009 at 8:53 PM

You just insulted the guy who we’re discussing, as well as a large segment of America, which undoubtedly includes posters here, by using an epithet. You’re in no position to play victim, chump.

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 8:57 PM

I should clarify…I’m speaking of the Board. I’m not sure about the President as I think the bylaws changed slightly, but I believe the Board elects the President.

JohnTant on January 30, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Try again.

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 8:54 PM

OK. From your link:

Unlike semi-automatic firearms, which require one trigger pull per bullet fired, a machine gun is designed to fire bullets as long as the trigger is held down and ammunition is fed into the weapon. Although the term “machine gun” is often used by civilians to describe all fully automatic weapons, in military usage the term is restricted to relatively heavy weapons fired from some sort of support rather than hand-held, able to provide continuous or frequent bursts of automatic fire for as long as ammunition lasts. Machine guns are normally used against unprotected or lightly-protected personnel, or to provide suppressive fire.

FAIL

And if you watch the vid carefully, he points his “machine gun” in unsafe directions. Flail your firearms around at a firing range like that and see what happens to you.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Get real. I love the guy, I was a fan since I was 13, but that doesn´t mean Nugent is the right spokesman for the NRA. It´s a PR job, which means you can´t just preach to the converted.

el gordo on January 30, 2009 at 8:59 PM

And please people, don’t confuse me w/anyone calling out people as “rednecks”.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 9:00 PM

There’s a big difference between insulting the topic at hand, and insulting fellow posters. The latter is just classless and looks bad. You we know about. But Baldilocks usually has not conduced herself like that.

BTW, do you have a job? You seem to post 24/7 nonstop.

keep the change on January 30, 2009 at 9:00 PM

For the poeple saying he’s a lousy guitarist, wash your mouth!

Stranglehold is legendary.

But let’s give him his due. Stranglehold is a badass song.

The movie Spinal Tap comes to mind after watching (some of) that video.

BowHuntingTexas on January 30, 2009 at 9:03 PM

PM

When you refer to someone by using a racial and/or regional epithet, that makes you a bigot. It’s like saying that water is wet. Don’t be afraid; own your qualities.

Rather than address the topic, just insult the other poster you disagree with.

keep the change on January 30, 2009 at 8:53

I have addressed the topic—whether or not Nugent should be the NRA president–several times. What other topic would you like me to address? Whether it’s okay to disparage someone using racial/regional bigotry terms? No it isn’t and those who do so are bigots.

Oh yes and I’m…happy to disappoint you. /Ripley from Alien series.

baldilocks on January 30, 2009 at 9:05 PM

FAIL

How? What evidence do you have that those rifles were semi-auto? And we’re not talking military vernacular, we’re talking actual definitions.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Apparently you’ve never even been to a firing range. Take a look at the ceiling sometime. See all those holes? It wasn’t someone jabbing a pencil overhead. Again, the video shows him pointing the weapons up at all times. What unsafe direction are you referring to?

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 9:05 PM

JohnTant on January 30, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Thanks, I will be joining as soon as the budget allows it, unlike Congress I have a limit to what I can spend.

goat on January 30, 2009 at 9:06 PM

You just used a racial epithet to describe someone. On the classless scale, you’re scoring a near 10.

BTW, do you have a job? You seem to post 24/7 nonstop.

keep the change on January 30, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Heh, I love it when trolls try and peg me with that. When you’re in IT consulting, believe it or not, you pretty much spend most or all of your day with a computer. I see you’re getting personal. Didn’t you just bemoan doing that?

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Ted Nugent lives right up the road, in Jackson, Michigan, and despite his rock and roll antics, he’s actually a pretty decent guy, involved in the local community, has never forgotten his roots, and is a Goldwater Conservative, leaning toward Libertarian. He’s very active with the USO, Freedom’s Angels, and a few other grassroots organizations, funding a lot of them out of his pocket instead of waiting for a government program to jump in.

If he can get the top slot at the NRA, it’ll make a big, and positive difference…visit his hunting website, or drive up to Jackson, Michigan, say hello. He’s approachable. Decent sort of guy, really.

coldwarrior on January 30, 2009 at 9:09 PM

I know some people consider “redneck” an insult (although I know a few people who proudly proclaim they are rednecks). Am I missing something? Is it also consider racial? Or am I misunderstanding?

DrMagnolias on January 30, 2009 at 9:10 PM

you can’t just preach to the converted

True to a point. I believe that the biggest danger to our rights is not the unconverted, anti-gunners will always be anti-gunners. The biggest danger is apathy within the gun owning community. Watch some the of youtube vids the NRA has put up about what happened in Britain. They were apathetic and they lost their rights completely. I believe that Ted could kick people in the ass and wake them up to the dangers the current regime represents to our rights.

Again, gun owners need to be fully aware of exactly what is at stake in the coming battles. O would ban all guns if he could. Just read exactly what he says in his agenda at the campaign site whitehouse.gov. It’s under “Urban Policy” I dunno, I thought cities were the problem of the state in which they are located but I’m just a dumb guy who reads the Constitution’s words.

crashland on January 30, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Unacceptable.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 8:51 PM

At an entertainment event for adults? No. When he’s in front of kids? Yes. Maybe that’s why he hasn’t said those things in front of kids. He’s too busy speaking out against using drugs and alcohol to them. Lovely of you to ignore that.

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 9:11 PM

The topic is not me. The topic is what is introduced by the blogger. So instead of talking about Ted Nugent, you are talking about some anonymous poster on the internet. You’ve lost the plot. Easy to do when you let your emotions, usually one of anger, get the better of you.

keep the change on January 30, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Another point is those guns he’s waving aroung could very well be airsoft models, er, stageprops. Still they are being handled in a safe manner even as he ridicules gun grabbers.

goat on January 30, 2009 at 9:12 PM

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Those were not “machine guns”. Period. Stop embarrassing yourself.

And your shooting range should perhaps reconsider their policies if people are discharging into the ceiling on a regular basis.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 9:14 PM

The topic is not me.

keep the change on January 30, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Quit avoiding the fact that you’re using racist epithets. You’re a bigot when you use them to describe people. Had someone said someone was a “spearchucker”, “wetback”, “slope”, or any of those terms, undoubtedly you’d be outraged.

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Ted “Excrement Adventures” Nugent? Gag me with a pitchfork.

MB4 on January 30, 2009 at 9:15 PM

With you there is no avoiding the personal. You work in IT? So why don’t you actually do some work instead of posting here 24/7? Instead you spend all your time trying to dominate every thread on Hotair with your opinion almost to the point where you don’t tolerate any dissenting opinion. It’s pretty lame. Get out and get some fresh air.

keep the change on January 30, 2009 at 9:15 PM

I may have to upgrade my membership to lifetime if The Nuge is NRA Prez.

Yakko77 on January 30, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Those were not “machine guns”. Period. Stop embarrassing yourself.

If they were automatic, then yes they were. You haven’t proven they were semi-automatic, nor have you provided anything to back up your confused idea of what you think a “machine gun” is. Care to do so?

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 9:14 PM

I’ve been to more than a dozen ranges, and they all have it. I’ve also been to police stations with the same thing. Have you even fired a weapon in your life?

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 9:17 PM

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Have you ever been carded when going to a rock concert? No? Me neither. I was going to shows when I was 13 and younger.

It’s unacceptable behavior.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 9:17 PM

crashland on January 30, 2009 at 9:10 PM

You may be right about the need to rouse gun owners, but we also need to win the undecideds. I don’t believe this kind of behavior will win them.

DrMagnolias on January 30, 2009 at 9:18 PM

keep the change on January 30, 2009 at 9:15 PM

…so you tell people how to live their lives, and you label people with racist epithets. I’m addressing what you say on this board, and in response you’re addressing my work ethic and personal life?

Wow.

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Why should conservatives care about countering Lefist stereotypes? They will make them up on their own, in case you didn’t notice.

baldilocks on January 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM

With him they won’t have to.

MB4 on January 30, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Quit avoiding the fact that you’re using racist epithets

LOL. Redneck is not a race. Is this Hotair or StormFront? Nobody has to be a redneck, it’s a choice.

keep the change on January 30, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Have you even fired a weapon in your life?

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Yes, and I obviously know much more about the subject than you do. Quit digging, as you can’t see the horizon where you’re at.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Have you ever been carded when going to a rock concert?

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Yes, because a rockstar whose prominence existed 20 years ago is a major draw to the under-18 crowd.

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Also, I can see the point AP is making and it is relevant and should be considered. As awesome and indeed fun as it would be to have him as NRA Prez there are likely better candidates than The Nuge.

Yakko77 on January 30, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Yes, and I obviously know much more about the subject than you do.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 9:20 PM

So far, I’ve stated facts and backed them up. You’ve called them wrong, and have neither supplied evidence to the contrary, nor even explained how I’m wrong. I’m in sheer awe.

LOL. Redneck is not a race.

keep the change on January 30, 2009 at 9:19 PM

You’re either ignorant or racist. Which is it?

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Following in the foot steeps of Charlton Heston. Go for it Ted!

BJ on January 30, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Well, not quite.

Charlton Heston: Military service: US Army Air Corps (WWII, Sgt.)

Ted Nugent: “Nugent dodged the draft during the Vietnam War. In an interview for the Detroit Free Press (July 15, 1990), Nugent described how he avoided the draft: He claims that 30 days before his Draft Board Physical, he stopped all forms of personal hygiene. The last ten days he ingested nothing but junk food and Pepsi, and a week before his physical he stopped using the bathroom altogether, virtually living inside pants caked with excrement and stained by his urine.”

MB4 on January 30, 2009 at 9:24 PM

That is why responsible parents control where their children go. Geesh, now we have people who seem to want to censor what a performer says on stage at a rock concert.

I’ve seen him in concert, I loved it and I’ll see him again at the next opportunity. I saw him back in 2000 and he did a great version of “kiss my ass” with lines like “Janet Reno you can kiss my ass” he had the entire audience singing along, it was great.

As for the sentiments he expressed in this video, I freaking love them. Nothing like a little red meat for us wild eyed liberty loving gun owners, mmm tasty red meat.

crashland on January 30, 2009 at 9:25 PM

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 9:20 PM

I’m not talking about pubs/sallons/bars, I’m talking about concerts at regular venues. Kids attend those shows all the time. And I’ll wager that what Ted did that night was a regular part of his show until he was busted.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 9:25 PM

MB4 on January 30, 2009 at 9:24 PM

He actually denied that story later.

“Unbelievable. Meth,” he replies, in a tone of deep sarcasm. “Yes, that’s my drug of choice. You’ve got to realise that these interviewers would arrive with glazed eyes and I would make stories up. I never did crystal meth. And I never pooped my pants.”

“But you did dodge the draft.” “I had a 1Y [student deferment]. I enrolled at Oakland Community College.”

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 9:29 PM

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 9:23 PM

You obviously don’t know what a real “machine gun” is, yet you like to argue that point and this makes you look foolish. Perhaps the only thing worse than behaving foolishly is arguing with such.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 9:29 PM

You’re either ignorant or racist. Which is it?

At least you got perseverance.

Redneck is not a race, but you knew that. It is a derogatory term for a type of yahoo represented by the likes of Ted Nugent. I thought only the left played the race card?

keep the change on January 30, 2009 at 9:30 PM

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 9:25 PM

And again, these shows are not meant for kids. Maybe their parents should be a little more inquisitive as to how they spend their time, especially if they’re going to shows that have adult-oriented content.

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 9:31 PM

He actually denied that story later.

And like they say, I may have been born at night, but it wasn’t lst night.

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 9:29 PM

A 1Y was not a student deferment.

MB4 on January 30, 2009 at 9:34 PM

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 9:29 PM

I provided the definition, from multiple sources. Provide me with an alternate definition that explains how a firearm that empties its clip or magazine with one trigger pull is not a machine gun, or else chuck the attitude.

keep the change on January 30, 2009 at 9:30 PM

White yahoo, but you knew that.

So I’m going to go with racist, as my verification of your awareness of the meaning of the word doesn’t seem to change your attitude.

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 9:35 PM

2-S was a student deferment. 1-Y was “in times of national emergency only” indicating that the holder had some sort of disability such as flat feet, or six toes on each foot, a really bad persistent rash, or similar…could be drafted, but only if the Soviet Red Army was marching up Constitution Avenue. (After 1971, there were no more 1-Y’s issued.)

coldwarrior on January 30, 2009 at 9:37 PM

“A machine gun is a fully automatic mounted or portable firearm, usually designed to fire rifle cartridges in quick succession from an ammunition belt or large-capacity magazine, typically at a rate of several hundred rounds per minute. The first machine gun was the Maxim Gun, invented by Sir Hiram Maxim in 1884.

In United States law, machine gun is a term of art for any fully-automatic firearm, and also for any component or part that will modify an existing firearm into a fully-automatic firearm.”

MB4 on January 30, 2009 at 9:42 PM

So I’m going to go with racist,

Yes, that’s right. I am bigoted against redneck yahoos. White people, I like. They’re cool. lol.

keep the change on January 30, 2009 at 9:43 PM

I love Ted and I love me some guns, but I would rather see Tom Selleck or someone a little lower key man that job.

TheSitRep on January 30, 2009 at 9:46 PM

MB4 on January 30, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Silly man. Don’t you know toliver is the authority? Just take his word on that.

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 9:47 PM

2-S was a student deferment. 1-Y was “in times of national emergency only” indicating that the holder had some sort of disability such as flat feet, or six toes on each foot, a really bad persistent rash, or similar…could be drafted, but only if the Soviet Red Army was marching up Constitution Avenue (or if said 1-Y was overridden by documentation by a medical doctor). (After 1971, there were no more 1-Y’s issued.)

coldwarrior on January 30, 2009 at 9:37 PM

MB4 on January 30, 2009 at 9:52 PM

MB4 on January 30, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Silly man. Don’t you know toliver is the authority? Just take his word on that.

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2009 at 9:47 PM

I just got here and missed the first scenes, but wanted to point out that the legal definition of a “machine gun” is different from the commonly used one.

MB4 on January 30, 2009 at 9:42 PM

But in any case never bring a machine gun to an artillery duel.

MB4 on January 30, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Yes, that’s right. I am bigoted against redneck yahoos.

keep the change on January 30, 2009 at 9:43 PM

See was that so difficult? Good to see you own up to your racial-regional bigotry. That’s how adults handle their shortcomings.

baldilocks on January 30, 2009 at 9:57 PM

TheSitRep on January 30, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Yah, I think that Selleck would be a lot like Heston. Nugent would be like “the right’s” version of Al Franken on crank.

MB4 on January 30, 2009 at 9:59 PM

MB4 on January 30, 2009 at 9:42 PM

The US law written by dems in congress. The “machine gun” is a military wep. Modifying a semi-auto assault rifle into a full-auto assault rifle does not a “machine gun” make.

I’d like to see some of you cats take a ride to a military installation and go give your lame lecture to some people that actually know what a “machine gun” is. I’d pay to see such a thing.

Nonetheless, it’s amusing to witness the argument that attempts to suggest just how sane and responsible Ted Nugent is by saying that he may in fact be waving highly illegal “machine guns” around a rock concert. That’s rich.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 10:31 PM

MB4,

I’m not coming down on you BTW.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 10:32 PM

I have to agree, Tom Selleck would be a far better pick for President of the NRA. He is calmer, more serious, and more intelligent sounding than Ted.

Is anyone here a Benefactor member of the NRA? I’m not a life member yet and can’t vote. If so, can a group of higher level members nominate Mr. Selleck?

Mooseman on January 30, 2009 at 10:38 PM

ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!

Metro on January 30, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Yee haw!!! Go get ‘em Ted!

hopefloats on January 30, 2009 at 10:44 PM

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Pardon me while I guffaw.

- The Cat

P.S. A what he had I believe would be classified as submachine guns, which are a type of machine gun btw.

MirCat on January 30, 2009 at 10:49 PM

P.P.S. A semi-auto is actually a modified full auto. By modifying a semi to a full is actually putting it back to the original design.

MirCat on January 30, 2009 at 10:50 PM

MirCat on January 30, 2009 at 10:50 PM

To function full-auto, one would have to modify a legal firearm, no?

Thanks for stopping by.

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 10:56 PM

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Wow. You’re really… stupid.

A full-auto used by the military is a “machine gun”, but the same weapon if used by a civilian isn’t? Or a full auto only becomes a “machine gun” if adopted by the military?

Hollowpoint on January 30, 2009 at 11:05 PM

toliver on January 30, 2009 at 10:56 PM

How in the John Denver can you ask a question when you’ve just quoted the answer?

Let me ask you this. What is a civilian weapon? I mean how do they come about?

- The Cat

MirCat on January 30, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Love Ted, but he ain’t no front man.

Magnum P.I.? Maybe.

Ted needs a talk radio show.

cntrlfrk on January 30, 2009 at 11:14 PM