Report: Ted Nugent might run for NRA president

posted at 5:55 pm on January 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

Just the man gun-rights advocates need to counter the left’s stereotype of them as belligerent, wild-eyed cranks.

But Nugent tells Whispers he stands ready to battle the antigunners in Washington. “Clearly, the NRA is the ultimate ‘we the people,’ family, grass-roots organization for what is clearly Job 1 for free men everywhere: to guarantee our God-given right to keep and bear arms and defend ourselves,” he tells our Suzi Parker. “To be so honored to participate in any way, as an NRA board member or the ultimate honor of serving as president, would surely be a duty I would put my heart and soul into. I am genuinely moved that it is even being discussed. I am ready, willing, and able to serve if the good NRA members call upon me.”

From August 2007, here’s the would-be chief executive displaying his lobbying skills. Content warning.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I can’t tyoe to save me soul…

but the due DUDE can through THROW down the Mojo…..no?

seejanemom on January 31, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Debbie Schlussel on January 31, 2009 at 7:49 PM

It’s a good article Debbie and I admit it give me pause. But at the same time I think we need to realize he’s being considered for President of the NRA not of the Southern Baptist Convention.

Maxx on January 31, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Debbie Schlussel on January 31, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Er…did you get confused and think Ted was running for White House Chaplain or something?

Where in your rant do you show that he’s unqualified to represent the NRA?

fossten on February 1, 2009 at 1:13 AM

Ted has the charisma and name recognition. More power to him.

labrat on February 1, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Conventional tactics aren’t working for the GOP or the NRA.

The GOP just put Steel in as Chair. I’ve heard him and I have some great hopes for him.

As far as the NRA, Nugent is easy to underestimate. I read a couple of his books and have listened to him debate. He really does well. In spite of the madman exterior he does seem to have a lot of inner discipline.

Anyway, I’m hoping he gets out there and kicks butt. If we can get GOP wins in 2010 and 2012, we might just be able to save the Republic.

bullseye on February 1, 2009 at 9:46 AM

If Nugent becomes NRA president, I’ll go deeper in debt in order to become a member, whether I own a firearm or not. He’s truly an American hero and a supporter of REAL American Heros!

Vntnrse on February 1, 2009 at 1:43 PM