Quote of the day

posted at 10:00 pm on January 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

“The relationship between these radio talkers and the larger Republican and conservative world has become parasitic and antagonistic. They flourish and profit to the extent they can polarize and radicalize. The GOP will recover only to the extent that it moderates and reaches out. They benefit from controversies that position them as the leaders and designated speakers for conservative America. But the more visible they become, the more our party is shoved to the margins and rendered unelectable. What is good for Rush is bad for the GOP, and what is good for the GOP is bad for Rush. At some time, some bold party leader will have to confront this dilemma: not by quarreling with Rush or by breaking with him, but by making it clear that our party is bigger than Rush, that it has room for more points of view, and that while Rush may speak for a party faction, he does not speak for the party as a whole.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 2:08 AM

I’ll see that with feckless terrorist prevention measures and pathetic responses to terrorist attacks such as bombing empty terrorist training camps, and lacking the stones to take out their leadership when we had the chance.

And raise you Fannie Mae, started under FDR, given legs by Carter with the Housing Reinvestment Act, given teeth by Clinton, and blocked from corrective legislation twice by Congressional Democrats since 2004.

Hog Wild on January 31, 2009 at 2:16 AM

Are they Constitutional?

Johan Klaus on January 31, 2009 at 2:11 AM

No, but it hasn’t stopped them from being used.

Johan Klaus on January 31, 2009 at 2:14 AM

They can be anywhere.

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 2:17 AM

Hog Wild on January 31, 2009 at 2:16 AM

Unbeatable bet.

Johan Klaus on January 31, 2009 at 2:18 AM

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 2:17 AM

I must have missed that supreme court ruling. By the way, which college do you attend?

Johan Klaus on January 31, 2009 at 2:21 AM

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 2:17 AM

Johan Klaus on January 31, 2009 at 2:21 AM

Madrassa for Union shills?

OldEnglish on January 31, 2009 at 2:26 AM

Hog Wild on January 31, 2009 at 2:16 AM

I’ll put that on the table for good measure and raise you Paulson rewarding his friends in Wall Street and bringing down the whole show.

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 2:28 AM

Hog Wild on January 31, 2009 at 2:16 AM

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 2:28 AM

Hogwild may raise you, “no lobbyist in Obams’s administration”.

Johan Klaus on January 31, 2009 at 2:33 AM

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 2:28 AM

And for good measure, no tax cheats, pull out of Iraq and close Gitmo “immediately”. Or was it pull out of Iraq immediately? It is hard to keep up with, but I guess that is the change part that the students were talking about.

Johan Klaus on January 31, 2009 at 2:39 AM

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 2:28 AM

Saturday classes?

Johan Klaus on January 31, 2009 at 2:40 AM

Hogwild may raise you, “no lobbyist in Obams’s administration”.

Johan Klaus on January 31, 2009 at 2:33 AM

heh…. stop showing my cards!!!!!

And I’ll toss in two tax cheats, one terrorist sympathizer, and the wife of one library owner who accepted funds from foriegn governments.

About Paulson…. exactly who wrote that legislation, had the majority to pass it, and appointed Paulson TARP czar without any oversight in the first place?

It was a bad idea then, and it’s a bad idea now. Government interference in the free market got us into the position, more government intereference will not get us out of it.

Hog Wild on January 31, 2009 at 2:43 AM

I guess Frum never reads the Washington Post.

How about these apples, David???

Look at that sea of red counties!!

fred5678 on January 31, 2009 at 2:44 AM

Hog Wild on January 31, 2009 at 2:43 AM

I am going to get on my bike tomorrow and ride out to the hill country and forget about this crap.

Johan Klaus on January 31, 2009 at 2:48 AM

Frum is full of shit. It is people like him that are the problem, not Rush. Why would anyone be attracted to a squishy party that stands for nothing? We need to articulate our conservative principals and use that to persuade people, period. Being “Democrat Lite” has been tried and has failed. You will not generate enthusiasm and support for that and people will just vote for the real thing like they did with Obama.

I for one cannot and will not compromise my beliefs to try and appeal to these little electoral groups so we can eke out narrow victories for moderate Republicans that throw in the towel to the libs every time the big issues come up. I will sit out before I do that. Been there, done that, not going back.

echosyst on January 31, 2009 at 3:09 AM

Thanks for more of this anti-Rush BS, AP. So does this Frum guy realize he’s playing right into Obama’s hands? Obama went after Rush for the express purpose of setting the moderates in the GOP against the conservatives, with the goal of eliminating the conservatives as a factor.

And Frum has identified the wrong problem. The fact that radio and TV commentators have begun to “represent” the GOP doesn’t show that’s it become too polarized or whatever his silly argument was. It shows the lack of leadership amongst actual Republican politicans! The RINOs are all too willing to fade away into the night, pretending to be something nobody actually wants, and guys like Rush aren’t. Of course we’ll follow him and not the RINOs!

But hey, you keep beating that “Failure” drum, Mr. Frum.

R. Waher on January 31, 2009 at 4:50 AM

If Frum is so smart why doesn’t he have a following the size of Rush’s.

VolMagic on January 30, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Well, if you count the voices in Frum’s head…
(Frums head?)…you might come close.

soundingboard on January 31, 2009 at 4:51 AM

People like Frum are why the Republicans peaked in 94 and went down from there.

They spent the rest of their time trying to buy squishy votes with pork.

Lonetown on January 31, 2009 at 5:27 AM

I dont know if we should “give up” out principles. But maybe give up keeping loudmouth, arrogant blowhards the keys to the car and letting him drive.

Squid Shark on January 30, 2009 at 11:08 PM

You’re such a fake, rush isn’t even close to a blowhard if you compare him with the vile left hooligan army ( which you’re a part of ), and what did that do for them .
The left didn’t go moderate , they went full moron.

Obama against the surge, Reid declaring capitulation in Iraq. General “Betray us”..

the_nile on January 31, 2009 at 5:56 AM

I have been complimented many times and they always embarrass me. I always feel that they have not said enough.
- Mark Twain

MB4 on January 30, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Isn’t that the kind of self sarcasm that Rush uses all the time. Calling himself MahaRushdie, El rushbo , my brilliant plan etc.

The left want to misjudge it as “self-aggrandizing” , and then they Heil Obama..

the_nile on January 31, 2009 at 6:03 AM

Did someone on this blog really ask someone the question “what college do you attend?” Is this question one of humor or is it meant to question one’s smarts? If it is, I find nothing about attending college smart! I attended college, by the way but if you are using that as your basis, you are going to lose! Colleges are not cranking out the best and the brightest these days. Rather they are cranking out dim-witted left wing mind numbed twits who can’t find their asses from a hole in the ground and know nothing about math, history or science… Hardly a ringing endorsement of a college education!

sabbott on January 31, 2009 at 6:09 AM

And for good measure, no tax cheats

Johan Klaus on January 31, 2009 at 2:39 AM

I’d like to see how many on the right use tax haven countries, never mind advocating the abuse of immigration laws to evade citizens when it has come to employment.

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 6:55 AM

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 6:55 AM

Even if , the moral difference is that republicans says they don’t believe in high taxes.So the libs brake with their ideology.

the_nile on January 31, 2009 at 6:59 AM

Methinks it’s RINO season.

dentalque on January 31, 2009 at 7:16 AM

the_nile on January 31, 2009 at 6:59 AM

It puts them against their nation, especially with immigration law.

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 7:17 AM

If you think Huckabee ever had a chance of being elected, you’re delusional.

ddrintn on January 30, 2009 at 11:04 PM

“Delusional” is the only adjective for Huckabee supporters.
Trying to educate a Huckabot is like trying to educate a Obamaton; an exercise in futility.

That said, I’m not a big fan of Rush for the simple fact that he refers to third-party candidates as “wackos.” Even when our choice was between McCain & Obama, he still couldn’t admit the two-party system is broken. The GOP is permanently overrun with career politicians and greedy liberals posing as conservatives, and that is anathema to true conservatives. Any student of history knows that reformations never work, only revolutions do. It’s past time to discard the infested house and build a new one. But Rush is far to loyal to the Republicans, because he foolishly thinks old glories can be had again simply by flying the old banner.

TMK on January 31, 2009 at 7:43 AM

onlineanalyst on January 30, 2009 at 11:55 PM

You have a bit of a point there, he does do alot of Charity, and I admire him for that. I am less inclined to believe it is all schtick…’

Just go away dork boy…

You got nothing…

BigWyo on January 30, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Insightful…
Just as no one is being forced to listen to Rush, no one is forcing you to read my post. So, respectfully, stuff it.

Squid:I’ll be blunt. Why do you bother to come here? Do you want to be swayed or are you trying to sway us, or are you just looking for argument for argument’s sake or are you fancying yourself as the voice of sweet reason, or???? You are not tuned into the same channel as most on this site and you know that. So…why are you here?

jeanie on January 30, 2009 at 11:58 PM

That is a good question, jeanie, I believe in our institutions, I believe in our party, I believe in a civil society. I also believe that the future of the Right does not lay with the SoCons and the Rush Limbaugh’s of this world.

I’m sorry Mr Rabid McCain supporter, but what exactly do you know about principles? I mean, besides ‘mavericky mavericks are kewl’. Being lectured on party principles by a McCain supporter is a little like being lectured by Bill Clinton on maritial fidelity. Amusing, but also annoying. Run along.

austinnelly on January 31, 2009 at 12:25 AM

McCain lost, get over it.
Seems the McCain Haters are the ones having trouble getting over how “right” they were. Quit living in the past, we have some work to do here. If not….Well you can “run along” yourself.

Who do you listen to most, Air America or Rush?

Johan Klaus on January 31, 2009 at 12:31 AM

Neither, really, more than the other. I normally listen to the POTUS 08 channel on XM and get the unfiltered data and make my own decisions. When nothings on I flip. I listen to the Air America affiliate because the conservative station does not have a local politics radio show and I like to keep tabs on what the Tom Hartmans of this world are up to.

Squid Shark on January 31, 2009 at 7:55 AM

I think I better check out this Rush guy the Dems are all screaming about. Is he any good?

JiangxiDad on January 31, 2009 at 7:57 AM

sabbott on January 31, 2009 at 6:09 AM

I really think that college kids are just so convinced of their own superiority that they are prone towards extremism.

I find College Republicans pretty annoying as well. Not as much as smelly lefties, but annoying.

You are right though, no critical thinking skills.

Squid Shark on January 31, 2009 at 7:59 AM

vile left hooligan army ( which you’re a part of ),

How do you reason that?

I am anxious to hear how I am an axelrod plant, that will be a new one (not).

Never mind that I have been a part of this board and eds board since well before the primaries.

Squid Shark on January 31, 2009 at 8:01 AM

I am an axelrod plant,

Squid Shark on January 31, 2009 at 8:01 AM

Well that explains your behavior.

the_nile on January 31, 2009 at 8:05 AM

sabbott on January 31, 2009 at 6:09 AM

From today’s WSJ opinion piece by Peter Berkowitz, senior fellow at Stamford’s Hoover Institute regarding BDS and OUS (Obama Euphoria Syndrome):

In contrast, by assembling and maintaining faculties that think alike about politics and think alike that the university curriculum must instill correct political opinions, our universities cultivate intellectual conformity and discourage the exercise of reason in public life. It is not that our universities invest the fundamental principles of liberalism with religious meaning–after all the Declaration of Independence identifies a religious root of our freedom and equality. Rather, they infuse a certain progressive interpretation of our freedom and equality with sacred significance, zealously requiring not only outward obedience to its policy dictates but innner persuasion of the heart and mind. This transforms dissenters into apostates or heretics, and leaders into redeemers.

Good stuff.

JiangxiDad on January 31, 2009 at 8:11 AM

The GOP will recover only to the extent that it moderates and reaches out.

Yeah, that worked out REAL WELL with McCain, didn’t it?

tgillian on January 31, 2009 at 8:13 AM

rplat on January 31, 2009 at 8:33 AM

The GOP will recover only to the extent that it moderates and reaches out.

Obviously you’ve never been in a street fight . . . reaching out will get you nothing but a severe beating. No more weak sister pandering, it’s time to fight not acquiesce.

rplat on January 31, 2009 at 8:37 AM

I’ll put that on the table for good measure and raise you Paulson and the Democrats rewarding their friends on Wall Street and bringing down the whole show.

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 2:28 AM

FIFY

Gird your loins, seth. The Dems want to spend 2 trillion on the No Banker Left Behind Bailout 2.0!

That’s our Democrats. Always looking out for the little guy…

Rush must love all this free publicity. I bet his ratings are going to skyrocket.

Rae on January 31, 2009 at 8:43 AM

What do these irrelevant pundits hope to accomplish with these unpopular jabs at Rush Limbaugh? An extra five minutes of attention? Bad attention? They will never be embraced by the left, and they certainly have no future as legitimate conservative writers. It must be a last ditch effort to use their bully pulpit to display their jealousy-Rush has 20+ million listeners, and this guy is who, again? David Frum? Do me a favor!

anniekc on January 31, 2009 at 8:45 AM

TMK on January 31, 2009 at 7:43 AM

Rush has said he is not a member of the Republican Party anymore but since Mr. Obama has managed to name him as the de-facto leader I think he’s taken on the challenge. I am pretty sure that statement was out of disappointment. I can barely tolerate the two parties we have, I don’t want more in the mix. But I do understand your frustration. I blame myself a bit for the fix the party is in. I only contacted congress on the big stuff and rolled my eyes at the stupid spending. We should have been a lot more vocal about the spending done by the Republicans when they had the majority.

Cindy Munford on January 31, 2009 at 8:46 AM

jeanie on January 30, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Squid Shark on January 31, 2009 at 7:55 AM

you didn’t exactly answer the question… I don’t think there are too many everyday people who oppose the three beliefs you listed. Who do you think the future of the Right is… and in what role?

FLKraKa on January 31, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Let me categorize the people that hate Rush:

1)Marxists and socialists who view Rush as a credible voice in the wildnerness that must be destroyed at any cost (nemesis)

2)Liberals and the MSM who build up a continual resentment towards Rush because they cannot present arguments to contradict him or knock Rush off his pedestal (frustration)

3)RINO’s who want the GOP to be more moderate and Rush stands in the way (thorn in their side)

4) Conservatives who want the stage to themselves and don’t wwant to be upstaged by Rush (jealousy)

NB; those who love Rush acknowledge he is a credible conservative voice that has every right to say what he says and will defend his right to say it, although they don’t agree with everything he says.

technopeasant on January 31, 2009 at 8:53 AM

rplat on January 31, 2009 at 8:37 AM

And not only that, but apparently all we have to do is sit back and let the Obama administration self implode; What are we, ten days into it? Besides Obama letting his ego do the talking, (“I won”) and Pelosi trying to make the argument that abortions help the economy, we also have a couple of hard core tax cheats, the worst press secretary, evah! and a stimulous bill that will shove us off the cliff almost immediately! If there’s anything left after Obama is done screwing it up, I think the Republicans will be in pretty good shape!

anniekc on January 31, 2009 at 8:55 AM

I am an axelrod plant,

Squid Shark on January 31, 2009 at 8:01 AM
Well that explains your behavior.

the_nile on January 31, 2009 at 8:05 AM

nice!

jerrytbg on January 31, 2009 at 8:59 AM

What do you mean by moderate? I think you will gain more respect as a party when you stick to your core principles. People who voted for Obama and the Democrates knowing they would advance the culture of death, sold their souls for a few peices of silver. And it remains to be seen if they even get paid.

Stephen on January 31, 2009 at 9:02 AM

I have never heard Rush talk about religion on his show unlike Prager or Medved.

He doesn’t do it a lot, but he does. I have to stop listening when he does, it gets boring- just like his football jags – but to his credit he does keep it to a minimum and didn’t let his beliefs influence him into thinking Huckabee was a good candidate.

Ann NY on January 31, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Cindy Munford on January 31, 2009 at 8:46 AM

I blame myself, too. I think too many conservatives did not hold Republicans accountable. Now I hope voters are mad enough that they contact Congress at every opportunity. And I hope that both Dem and GOP reps come to wish that the telephone and email had never been invented.

DrStock on January 31, 2009 at 9:06 AM

It appears that Squid’s main reason for being here is ‘the voice of sweet reason’(had to be one of the 3 I listed).HIs purpose is to establish Rush as the leader of the Party by persistently insisting that Rush is not a good leader of the Party. He IS a plant, whether self proclaimed or actually. He is allowed to stay because?(he generates traffic? we make room for dissent?)

jeanie on January 31, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Why all the drama about Rush Limbaugh? Is anyone forced to listen? Can he do anything that will have temporary or permanent impact your life? Considering the idolatry of the media for our president and his party, you should be happy that there is someone out there pointing out what Congress is attempting to do with this “Stimulus” bill. The rest of the media will get around to it when it’s too late, just like TARP and just like Mr. Obama.

Cindy Munford on January 31, 2009 at 12:21 AM

Well said. He is the only person out there that has a chance in hell of derailing the most obscene piece of legislation ever presented. He points out that this will bankrupt us for generations and he is right. I don’t agree with him on everything but he is providing a valuable service pointing out the mess Obama is trying to get us into. Talk about fiddling while Rome burns.

Ann NY on January 31, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Still, I guess the Party does need leadership and no one has emerged yet. Who?

jeanie on January 31, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Ann NY on January 31, 2009 at 9:04 AM

I am lucky, I listen to talk radio all day long at work. Every host has a jag they get on that makes me switch to the competition. Except Rush, for me. That’s just a personal thing and I am sure it’s the same with everyone. That’s why I don’t disparage any talk show host because as we know it takes all kinds of styles to get different individual’s attention.

Cindy Munford on January 31, 2009 at 9:28 AM

I don’t listen to … regularly; I work during the time he’s on the air and haven’t felt the inclination to subscribe. But the fact is though that his listeners have been shown to be pretty well-informed.

Don’t confuse well-informed with misinformed.

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 12:46 AM

I don’t. “Well-informed” is objective; you either know a fact or you don’t. “Misinformed” is subjective; someone’s not interpreting those facts the way you would like. But as was demonstrated with a lot of hopelessly dense Obama voters, it helps a lot if you know basic things first.

ddrintn on January 31, 2009 at 9:29 AM

I’d like to see how many on the right use tax haven countries

If you’re against high taxation, then it’s not hypocritical of you to take advantage of tax havens, if you advocate high taxes for you fellow citizens yet avoid paying them yourself, then you are a class A hypocrite.

Ann NY on January 31, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Rush will be on Fox and Friends in a little while. The Democrats can’t stand him because Air America failed miserably proviong that people don’t like Liberal Talk Radio. The Beltway Elite don’t like him because he holds their feet to the fire. His fans love him because he is a high school graduate from Missouri who is living the American Dream and he speaks the things they are thinking. Obama wants the Republicans to turn themselves into the Democrate Party Part Two so that they will never win another election. That way he will not have any opposition as he turns us into a Socialist nation.

kingsjester on January 31, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Ann NY on January 31, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Cindy Munford on January 31, 2009 at 9:28 AM

I’m an atheist, so the religion doesn’t interest me, but I’ll still listen, it’s a point of view. However, I do turn him off when he goes on about football, that bores me to death, but it’s his show.

Ann NY on January 31, 2009 at 9:39 AM

proviong=proving
Oops.

kingsjester on January 31, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Well that explains your behavior.

the_nile on January 31, 2009 at 8:05 AM

Just like all the other smart guys, cut and paste without context. Cute, kinda like what everyone is doing to Li

Squid Shark on January 31, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Now you’ve done it. Found a lib that does not want Mr. Limbaugh being heard. This falls in-line with the libs perception that Mr. Limbaugh is the leader of the free world by default.

A reality check demonstrates the world does not revolve around liberal thought and invoking Political Correctness (PC), the libs censorship program, can not keep Mr. Limbaugh quiet.

Ironically, whenever they try to counter Mr. Limbaugh’s message they fail miserably. Mr. Obemean (Olberma)attempt to outshout and use multisyllablic meaningless words provide more credibility libs cannot lead.

Contrary to Mr. Frum’s claim, the majority of American’s are conservative and have to be twice as productive to counter the libs lifestyle of being coddled by the socialist government they attempt to create.

MSGTAS on January 31, 2009 at 9:46 AM

I contradicted myself, sometimes I do listen to his religious talks, just to hear what someone with that point of view will say, but it can get boring and I will move on, the football is something I turn off immediately I find it an instant bore. This is what I get when write before drinking coffee.

Ann NY on January 31, 2009 at 9:47 AM

jeanie on January 31, 2009 at 9:16 AM

WTF is this, I dont like Rush and I have to go???

Jesus H. Christ what the hell is wrong with you people?

Squid Shark on January 31, 2009 at 9:48 AM

FLKraKa on January 31, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Fiscal Conservatism, articulating a real argument on free market environmentalism, a more libertarian stance nationally on social issues, just to name a few.

Squid Shark on January 31, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Ann NY on January 31, 2009 at 9:47 AM

I have never heard a religious talk from Limbaugh, but I dont know how enlightening it would be.

Squid Shark on January 31, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Squid Shark on January 31, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Calm down comrade… Only Ed, Ap, or Michelle would make that decision. What did you expect Squid, people to lay down and accept your commentary with no chatter. You’re getting the same reaction here that you received at Captains Quarters Squid. This is not the site where your type is going to be well received. Don’t take it personal Squid. I know enough about you from the past, to know that you’re a decent guy. Have some fun here Squid, but that will require you to take jabs as well as you give them.

Keemo on January 31, 2009 at 9:56 AM

I raise one Hillary hating anti semitic feminazi.

eaglewingz08 on January 31, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Cindy Munford on January 31, 2009 at 9:28 AM

I agree with you there. I like Boortz and Bennet and sometimes Beck.

I more object to the idea that if you dont like Limbaugh you need to be purged. It is not a matter of taste to some of these dittoheads, it is a “loyalty check”

Squid Shark on January 31, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Keemo on January 31, 2009 at 9:56 AM

I will give out Jabs but I dont say that they should be kicked off the site. I know that all of the Reagan Coalition is needed to win. Other parts of the coalition seem to not remember that.

Squid Shark on January 31, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Ann NY on January 31, 2009 at 9:39 AM

See, different strokes for different folks, I love football.

Cindy Munford on January 31, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Rush has said he is not a member of the Republican Party anymore
Cindy Munford on January 31, 2009 at 8:46 AM

I’ll believe it when he endorses an alternative candidate over the lame RINO choice, for any race. I’d even take a third-party dog catcher endorsement.

I usually agree with Rush’s assessments of Democrat motives and schemes, but I rarely agree with his choice of representative government.

TMK on January 31, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Squid Shark on January 31, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Gosh, I think you have misread the thread. There are lots of folks that we all admire here on HotAir that don’t listen and have admitted as much. I am pretty sure it is the attempt to marginalize Rush and make him the whipping boy for the left that people object to. I think you will notice that not one person has suggested that Air America, Daily Kos or the Huffington Post be dismantled or even ignored. Disparaged yes, destroyed, no. Conservatives embrace free speech, wrong, right polite or rude, if you interfere with that right you are not getting a true picture of the human. That could be dangerous.

Cindy Munford on January 31, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Squid Shark on January 31, 2009 at 10:00 AM

We are witnessing historical times right now Squid. The middle class is going to absorb 98% of the burden put on our shoulders as a result of the hardest-fastest push towards Socialism that has ever hit our country. Most who engage here at HA are included in the 98%, and are smart enough to know it. People are testy for good reason. I know you’re a military man Squid, a man that serves our country. I admire and respect you. Like I said, engage and have some fun here while being aware that what you put out there will come back at you. :)

Keemo on January 31, 2009 at 10:20 AM

TMK on January 31, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Again I disagree. This was a rough year. Despite an incredibly large field, our choices were slim indeed. Rush is more sure of Gov. Palin’s future than I am but I am willing to believe she will grow into the mantle. I am getting an increasingly good vibe from Rep. Cantor but again I have time to hide and watch.

Cindy Munford on January 31, 2009 at 10:22 AM

[anniekc on January 31, 2009 at 8:45 AM]

It allows they to say, “Don’t look at me, I wrote a column complaining about Rush” to their dinner party companions.

Dusty on January 31, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Rush will be on Fox and Friends in a little while. The Democrats can’t stand him because Air America failed miserably proviong that people don’t like Liberal Talk Radio…. That way he will not have any opposition as he turns us into a Socialist nation.

kingsjester on January 31, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Liberal talk will always fail because they cannot openly and honestly expose their ideas on redistribution, abortion, freedom of religion and association, gun owner ship, Jimma Carter, the war on terror, etc… to the light of day… And more importantly to criticism and debate.
Most Americans recoil at their views once they are laid out and picked apart by conservatives. But given “pro-choice” like names (as opposed to infanticide, partial birth murder, child abuse, human fetus destruction… ) and never really debated publicly for what their ideas are, they can eek out marginal wins by ultra-media assisted “historic” pro-his-own-daughters-future-abortion, easy on our enemies and terrorist, redistribution happy, racist friend and preacher having, babbling and stuttering (when not joined to the teleprompter) candidates like the One.
Talk radio is about the truth, because even the opposing view gets time to express itself. And lefty liberals rely on denial and lack of input from opposing points of view. Hence, “don’t listen to Rush”… instead of… make sure you listen to your constituency.

RalphyBoy on January 31, 2009 at 10:41 AM

For those of you who live in Montana, as I do:

JOE adds: That this “stimulus” will stimulate, principally, Democratic voting blocs, was illustrated best this morning on CNBC. Erin Burnett interviewed Max Baucus, asking at one point (at about 5:30 in) “How, exactly, will this stimulus create actual, identifiable jobs?” In response, Senator Baucus breaks down, desperately recalling the very few slivers of the bill that provide tax incentives to companies, and ignoring the majority that is nothing but federal adiposity.

He eventually stammers that “we’re in uncharted waters.” I suppose that is the best the Democrats can do when pressured, even lightly, by a CNBC anchor, on their scam-stimulus. A rather poor showing.

Keemo on January 31, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Ann NY on January 31, 2009 at 9:35 AM

You just contradicted yourself there.

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Squid Shark on January 31, 2009 at 9:48 AM

I don’t think that everyone wants you to listen to Rush. I think that your defense of liberals and condemnation ( maybe too strong of a word ) of conservatives is the point.

Johan Klaus on January 31, 2009 at 11:27 AM

You just contradicted yourself there.

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 11:25 AM

the_nile on January 31, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Despite an incredibly large field, our choices were slim indeed.

Cindy Munford on January 31, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Our choices were slim, but instead of seeking out a better leader, Rush decided to half-heartedly support McCain because he “wasn’t Obama.” He supported the defacto RINO rather than promote a better alternative. In other words, he accepts whatever (R) gets handed to him. If more people had that terrible “party zeal” attitude, Reagan never would have been elected.

Rush would gain more stature in my eyes if he would support the real conservative, not the wealthy (R) who comes close.

TMK on January 31, 2009 at 11:28 AM

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 11:25 AM

So are you for high taxes?

Johan Klaus on January 31, 2009 at 11:28 AM

So are you for high taxes?

Johan Klaus on January 31, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Only as a penalty. Otherwise, I am for the enforcement of the tax law and the removal of end-runs around it.

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 11:35 AM

See, different strokes for different folks, I love football.

Cindy Munford on January 31, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Now if I was a leftist, that would piss me off and I would force you to see things my way. ;-)

Ann NY on January 31, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Better go look at the 1994 election cycle, and how Rush got a lot of the credit for the republicans successes.

DannoJyd on January 31, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Better go look at the 1994 election cycle, and … … a lot of the credit for the republicans successes.

Contract on (middle) America.

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Ann NY on January 31, 2009 at 9:35 AM

You just contradicted yourself there.

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 11:25 AM

How so? Explain.

Ann NY on January 31, 2009 at 12:01 PM

How so? Explain.

Ann NY on January 31, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Using tax havens doesn’t magically make it “not avoiding taxes”.

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Rush was never, “for” any candidate. He was always against Obama, and before Obama, Hillary. I think whatever endorsement he mustered up for McCain was only in Opposition to the messiah, and he had McCain pegged from the get-go. He also knew that McCain would go immediately back to being the traitorous, “Republican” (snort) that he is. Rush spent a lot more time trying to educate people that we were letting the MSM pick our Republican candidate for us- and they did.

anniekc on January 31, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Using tax havens doesn’t magically make it “not avoiding taxes”.

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 12:07 PM

What sort of explanation is that? If you are using tax havens and you end up paying less taxes, there’s no magic involved.

Ann NY on January 31, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Ann NY on January 31, 2009 at 9:35 AM

You just contradicted yourself there.

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Are tax havens illegal? I know failure to pay is.

ddrintn on January 31, 2009 at 12:18 PM

^ And also hypocritical when it’s proclaimed that failure to pay taxes is being derelict in one’s patriotic duty. That’s the Democrat line.

ddrintn on January 31, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Are tax havens illegal? I know failure to pay is.

ddrintn on January 31, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Not necessarily, and probably only a tax attorney could answer that correctly. There are many legal ways to reduce your tax load, for example John Kerry’s wife has her fortune set up in trusts and such where she got away with only paying a 15% federal tax rate, it was all perfectly legal, but strange, considering her husband advocates tax increases. John Edwards filters all his money through S corps and therefore pays almost nothing in payroll taxes (hence the controversy about him saving $600,000 in medicare taxes). My understanding is the Kennedy’s have a very complex structure that saves them plenty of tax money and probably preserved the fortune since none of them do anything to earn real money. And yet everyone one of these people advocate a tax structure that penalizes entrepreneurs and small businesses.

Ann NY on January 31, 2009 at 12:30 PM

TMK on January 31, 2009 at 11:28 AM

It’s not Rush’s fault that we didn’t get a better candidate: the only “real Conservative” in the bunch (and we’re talking before the Florida primary) was Fred Thompson, whom Rush did give some push.
As you know, Fred dropped out about that time, as did Rudy–the next most Conservative candidate (and we know that he had his flaws…)
Rush got behind McCain once he was the nominee not because he liked McCain, as you pointed out, but because the alternative of Zero-bama was intolerable.

Jenfidel on January 31, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Contract on (middle) America.

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Newt’s Contract With America demonstrated a striking contrast between democrat and republican politicians as the Gingrich led Congress kept their promises while the commie inspired libs never do.

The Obamination is just another fine example of how the libs dash hope against the rocks, and their dedication to no change. :oP

DannoJyd on January 31, 2009 at 12:57 PM

This may have already been posted, but it’s worth repeating. If you haven’t yet read the article by Michael Barone on Townhall take a look. He makes David Frum’s article look tactful.

These elitists will destroy the GOP, if they haven’t already.

DrStock on January 31, 2009 at 1:28 PM

These elitists will destroy the GOP, if they haven’t already.

DrStock on January 31, 2009 at 1:28 PM

I love how populism is OK only when attacking smart people.

Squid Shark on January 31, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Okaaaay, Frum. Whatever you say.

Looks to me with this porkulus bill that Obama is guaranteeing himself a Jimmy Carter one term, and the rise of a new Reagan in 2012 is inevitable.

John the Libertarian on January 31, 2009 at 2:10 PM

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 11:35 AM

As a penalty for who; the producers?

Johan Klaus on January 31, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Are tax havens illegal? I know failure to pay is.

ddrintn on January 31, 2009 at 12:18 PM

It’s according to you definition of is.

Johan Klaus on January 31, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Probably too late to the thread, but @ Sethstorm.

I’m all for doing away with loopholes and just having people pay a straight percentage of income in taxes. But until that time comes, utilizing legal loopholes in order to reduce the amount of taxes you pay, and neglecting to pay taxes at all are vastly different from one another.

One obeys the law, the other does not. Therefore, there is no hypocrisy in what Ann(?) said.

JannyMae on January 31, 2009 at 4:41 PM

I don’t care if Rush doesn’t speak for the Republican Party.

He can speak for me, though, if he likes.

desertdweller on January 31, 2009 at 10:11 PM

– Mark Twain

MB4 on January 30, 2009 at 11:59 PM

the_nile on January 31, 2009 at 6:03 AM

Give this man a cigar.
- Mark Twain

MB4 on February 1, 2009 at 12:48 AM

For example Rudy is much more articulate about 80% of the conservative policies even though he is pro-choice than McCain ever was with a 100% pro-life record…….
goat on January 30, 2009 at 11:14 PM

McCain is not 100% pro-life. http://www.chuckbaldwinlive.com/c2008/cbarchive_20080822.html

Jamson64 on February 1, 2009 at 7:43 AM

sethstorm on January 31, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Well at least you have your talking points down.

Where did you receive that doctorate in drivel?

Jamson64 on February 1, 2009 at 7:44 AM

Squid Shark on January 30, 2009 at 11:08 PM

True. Like you, I’ve about had my fill of David Frum.

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on February 1, 2009 at 1:04 PM