Popularity of stimulus package dropping

posted at 8:39 am on January 30, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The bad news from Rasmussen?  More people support the Obama stimulus package than oppose it.  The good news?  The gap between them is less than the margin of error, down from 11 points last week.  In a new Rasmussen poll, the Porkfest Formerly Known As Stimulus only gets 42% support, while 39% oppose it:

Public support for the economic recovery plan crafted by President Obama and congressional Democrats has slipped a bit over the past week. At the same time, expectations that the plan will quickly become law have increased.

Forty-two percent (42%) of the nation’s likely voters now support the president’s plan, roughly one-third of which is tax cuts with the rest new government spending. The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey shows that 39% are opposed to it and 19% are undecided. Liberal voters overwhelmingly support the plan while conservatives are strongly opposed.

Last week, support for the President’s plan was at 45% and opposition at 34%.

Rasmussen has only started polling on this, so that’s the extent of their trending.  The nine-point drop in the gap over a one-week period shows that the electorate has gotten more skeptical about massive government spending.  Republicans have done a good job of getting their message out, and they have succeeded especially among independents.  A week ago, independents had a virtual dead heat on the bill, 37%-36% in favor.  Now independents oppose it 50%-27%.  Democrats really are on their own with this bill.

Republicans also appear to have made gains by offering their tax-cut alternatives.  That approach gets a plurality for support, 43%-39%, and a stronger plurality among independents, 48%-33%.

Democrats rattled some sabers yesterday by threatening to withdraw the tax cuts after getting no Republican votes.  According to Rasmussen, a plan with only government spending gets the worst response of all.  Overall, voters oppose that idea 70%-15%, and it flops in every demographic Rasmussen tracks.  Even Democratic voter oppose it by a solid majority, 57%-23%, as do self-described liberals, 54%-29%.

The Democrats are on thin ice with this package.  It’s not exactly unpopular, but it’s starting to get there.  They need Republicans badly in the Senate, but will they start negotiating and begin to trim off the excessive spending to get them on board?  The House Democrats wouldn’t do it, and it will be interesting to see whether Harry Reid will want to bargain or to give a demonstration of power.  The Gang of 14 effort being spearheaded by Ben Nelson might help, but Republicans need to hold firm and insist that all non-immediate and non-stimulus spending get stripped — which would probably make this a $120 billion bill rather than the $900 billion version sitting in the Senate.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

If Senator Ben Nelson is trying to form a “Gang of 14″, Republican Senators should tell him they have a Gang of 41 to filibuster the bill outright, and Nelson and any other Democrat that has taxpayers in his state should join the filibuster until the pork is thrown out, or at least cut in half.

Senator Nelson, do you want to be part of a Gang of 42?

Steve Z on January 30, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Yeah, I’ve never quite understood how taking money from people like you and me and giving to someone who isn’t contributing anything qualifies as a tax cut. That must be a concept that’s above my pay grade…or something.

Oldnuke on January 30, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Yeah, but unfortunately not above Obama’s.

Johan Klaus on January 30, 2009 at 10:07 AM

The economy is getting worse and these guys aren’t doing anything constructive at all to fix it. I am paying off my debt this week and no more for me. I am going to start hoarding my money.

Brat4life on January 30, 2009 at 10:02 AM

I’m afraid that when the dems get through with it, your money will not be worth anything.

Johan Klaus on January 30, 2009 at 10:10 AM

If nothing else, the Republicans have to keep their hands clean on this one. Sadly, no matter what criticism the bill recieves, Obama’s ego probably won’t let him admit it’s a disaster.

anniekc on January 30, 2009 at 10:14 AM

And in other news:

The results are in…..2.5 million in attendance for the inauguration and only 143 missed work!!!

Keemo on January 30, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Those 143 got stuck in the traffic.

the_nile on January 30, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Republicans also appear to have made gains by offering their tax-cut alternatives. That approach gets a plurality for support, 43%-39%, and a stronger plurality among independents, 48%-33%.

I seem to recall a certain candidate ran with his biggest promise to be tax cuts. That’s what people voted for – just not what they got.

Vashta.Nerada on January 30, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Didn’t candidate Obama promise to read every line of these spending bills and take out wasteful items?

rgeaste on January 30, 2009 at 10:25 AM

If nothing else, the Republicans have to keep their hands clean on this one. Sadly, no matter what criticism the bill receives, Obama’s ego probably won’t let him admit it’s a disaster.
anniekc on January 30, 2009 at 10:14 AM

I’m not sure Obama is the one pulling any of these strings anniekc. George Soros (by his own words) owns the Democrat Party. My best guess; Soros and other power brokers must be repaid. An investigation into the involvement of Soros (and others including foreigners) should be demanded by all Americans. A poll should be taken asking the simple question “do you trust the Federal Government.”

Keemo on January 30, 2009 at 10:26 AM

I wonder if the “moderate Republicans” and Independents are enjoying this disaster. “Can’t be any worse than Bush” you say? “He’s not a socialist” you say? Elections matter and have consquences. You utter morons allowed yourselves to be duped, and your ignorance has directly contributed to this bill. You are all Co-Sponsers of this bill. So I just wanted to say thanks for saddled me, my children, and my future grandchildren with one trillion dollars of debt. You idiots made the bed, it is truly a shame we must all lay in it with you.

kriscoleman on January 30, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Even Joe Biden’s hometown newspaper – the Wilmington News Journal — doesn’t support this thing. And the paper’s daily phone poll shows 60% of Delawareans opposed to it.

And this is a pretty blue state.

BigD on January 30, 2009 at 9:00 AM

In fairness to VP Biden, I heard that 40 % of the customers at Katy’s Diner DO support the bill.

Red State State of Mind on January 30, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Bad news.I have just heard that Sentor little Linsey Graham is making the rounds trying to form a group of so called mod. sentors to find a way to give Obama a stimulus victory.Because he said this will help bring the country togeather.

thmcbb on January 30, 2009 at 10:30 AM

kriscoleman on January 30, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Very true words Kris. Problem is, more of this spending is going to come our way unless we can collectively figure out a way to stop it. Obama stated yesterday, that the mistake FDR made was that he didn’t spend enough thus causing the great depression. That’s all BS, as we all know. Obama is simply preparing his masses for much more of the same.

Keemo on January 30, 2009 at 10:32 AM

While you folks were posting,….

Vashta.Nerada on January 30, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Saul Alinsky dropped by ….

rgeaste on January 30, 2009 at 10:25 AM

…to say Hello !!

Red State State of Mind on January 30, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Why did Blago get kicked out of the Illinois governor’s office for selling a senate seat, but MSM fauns over Reid and Pelosi, who just sold the entire congress to the most radical elements of society for votes?

Jesus was tempted in the desert with the promise of total power over all the kingdoms in the world, he told Satan himsels to drop dead.

Pelosi was tempted with the promise of total power and she told Planned Parenthood: where do I sign up? Exactly 180 degrees opposite of Christ.

There is a hell.

jeff_from_mpls on January 30, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Yep, Graham and Collins are complete sell-outs. We knew these two (and a few more) would sell out the GOP, as they have a history of doing so. Let’s apply the pressure and see exactly who falls out of the Soros money tree.

Sean Hannity had better cut his ties with this man…

Keemo on January 30, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Hey hacks, why not argue that the govt should just give everyone a free house?

MarkTheGreat on January 30, 2009 at 9:01 AM

C’mon, Hacks doesn’t want to give “everyone” a free house; he just wants taxpayers to pay for houses for everybody who irresponsibly signed up for a mortgage they couldn’t afford. That’s millions of people (including millions of illegal aliens, according to HUD), but it’s certainly not “everyone.”

And I’m sure that all the people who spent years saving up for a down payment, and building a decent credit record so they could qualify for a mortgage at a reasonable interest rate, won’t mind a bit being taxed up the wazoo for the rest of their lives (and their children’s lives) so that they can pay for a “free” house for all the people who couldn’t be bothered to do the same.

AZCoyote on January 30, 2009 at 10:39 AM

One crap sandwich for Mr. Obama ready for pick-up !!!

Mr. Obama ???

Mr. Obama ???

Mr. Obama, didn’t you order this sandwich ???

Come pick up your food Mr. Obama !!!

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Time to gin up a little more CLASS WARFARE!!!

notagool on January 30, 2009 at 10:48 AM

McCain told Fox and Friends this morning that he was against the bill and he did not think too many Republicans
would vote for it. I hope he tells his lap dog, Graham, not to vote for it, also.

kingsjester on January 30, 2009 at 10:50 AM

There is a hell.

jeff_from_mpls on January 30, 2009 at 10:34 AM

And the rest of us are stuck in it.

MarkTheGreat on January 30, 2009 at 10:51 AM

I hope he tells his lap dog, Graham, not to vote for it, also.

kingsjester on January 30, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Graham is DEAD (politicaly) anyway… All his “gang of this”, “gang of that” crap… He’s toast, he could NOT win election as dog catcher… He’s a weak kiss-ass RINO!

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 10:55 AM

hahahaha, mcCain is going to screw Obama on this.

rockmom on January 30, 2009 at 11:03 AM

The best thing the Dimocrats can do at this point is get rid of Reid and Pelosi as the leaders of their respective houses. But they are not that smart.

I HOPE the Dims will pull all tax cuts from the package. At least the rest will be all Dimocratic pork when it passes on a Dimocrat-only vote. Let’s see them defend that.

GarandFan on January 30, 2009 at 11:03 AM

DtoMHacks: Good grief, anyone who cites thinkprogress as a credible source is already in the Obama-Maoist-Marxist camp. These people probably have commondreams, mediamatters, and The Nation bookmarked. Buy a clue, and learn a little about the founders of these sites/publications. They are rooted in the philosophy of redistribution in the name of “social justice”.

onlineanalyst on January 30, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Senator Graham, progress means going forward, being better than one was than before. I know progress and this is no progress.

jukin on January 30, 2009 at 11:11 AM

If this passes without any GOP votes, the least the dems could do for us is change the name to “Democrat Stimulus Package”. It’s not too much to ask, is it?

Vashta.Nerada on January 30, 2009 at 11:14 AM

DtoMHacks: The bill has a bunch of tax cuts in it so I’m not sure why people think it’s a hard left bill.

Wrong. This bill has “tax cuts” in the form of rebates to people who do not even pay taxes. They are being rewarded for not even paying into the system…and that includes illegals, which really frosts my fanny.

onlineanalyst on January 30, 2009 at 11:15 AM

America just starting to wake up from its stupor to realize that they have a knife in their bellies?

Too little too late. Now we have to see what the cost will be by the end of the FOUR YEARS.

Handel on January 30, 2009 at 11:16 AM

At the rate things are going the Obama “honeymoon” won’t last out the first month of his presidency. If it lasts much longer than that the country may never recover.

duff65 on January 30, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 10:55 AM

If he doesn’t run for higher office, I want Mark Sanford to run against Graham in 6 years.

genso on January 30, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Haven’t seen the previous page, but this just jumps out. If this were a drop in approval for a Republican sponsored bill, 11 points would have been flogged as “Public support for the economic recovery plan crafted by [republican] plummeted precipitously, dropping a full 11 points over the past week. It holds only a slight favorable rating within the margin of error”

AZfederalist on January 30, 2009 at 11:57 AM

mmm, let me try that again. Should have quoted:

… and then my comment

AZfederalist on January 30, 2009 at 11:58 AM

kingsjester on January 30, 2009 at 10:50 AM

I just saw on Fox Business that McCain is coming up with an alternate stimulus plan that includes cuts to payroll taxes. Am I missing something here? Aren’t payroll taxes FICA taxes? Meaning Social Security and Medicare taxes. There isn’t enough money to pay for these programs now.

cjs1943 on January 30, 2009 at 12:23 PM

CONTACT YOUR SENATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what I sent to my senators McCain & Kyl. Get your family & friends to contac them as well!

Honorable Senator, 01-30-2009
I am writing to you today to inform you of my severe opposition to the current “stimulus” bill before you today. To call this bill a “stimulus” package requires what Sec. of State Clinton calls “a willing suspension of disbelief.”

A cursory glance at the bill shows a tremendous amount of pork spending on pet projects. Two very simple tests for each item in the “stimulus” bill;
Does this item put money into the hands of individual taxpaying American citizen immediately?
Does this item cause the national debt to increase?
If the answers are YES on the first and NO on the second than this “stimulus” bill would be a good thing. However the answers are NO and YES respectively. Which means this “stimulus” bill is a spending package, not a stimulus package.

My solution; cut payroll taxes in perpetuity, make post tax deductions on my pay check to pretax deductions, cut the capital gains tax to 10% in perpetuity and cut the federal tax on gas. If I have more money in my hands I have more options were to spend my money. If I have more money to spend in my local economy I help “STIMULATE” the economy which causes more tax revenues to be generated. More jobs will be created as I will have more demand for goods and services! Multiply this onto the macro scale and real things start to happen. My stimulus bill would put more money into my pocket and pockets of all Americans!

Go in the opposite direction and the opposite is going to happen. If I have less money in my pocket I am going to stockpile more cash and I will not spend my money except for the basic necessities of life. I am not going to risk my family well being on the hope something changes.

HOPE is not strategy, it is a prayer.

Please think about the individual taxpaying American and the future generations’ burden of this overwhelming debt.

Please vote NO!

Respectfully,

My name

Holiwdhawk on January 30, 2009 at 12:32 PM

The scariest part of this whole thing is that this is only the frickin beginning. We are not even 2 weeks into this new administration and they already are ready to spend upwards to a trillion dollars on this crap. We still have almost 4 years to go how many more trillions will we spend before this is all over?

There are already rumors now of TARP2 and other spending bills that make this one look like chump change?

It will be a miracle if we survive the next four years!

Scorched_Earth on January 30, 2009 at 1:00 PM

And trying to convince him will qualify as hate speech. After all, it’s not nice to criticize somebody’s religion.

Jim Treacher on January 30, 2009 at 1:02 PM

WOW! It’s a POLL! It’s a poll that supports the conservative agenda.

Look who posts it. I thought AllahPundit was the poll guy. Guess he can’t get out of bed to post a poll like this.

Sultry Beauty on January 30, 2009 at 2:40 PM

You may be able to save yourselves if you take and hold the Senate until the sh1theads in the House of Representatives grow up.

Kralizec on January 30, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Basically the dumb ass liberals suddendly realized
as their nasty butts are being laid off
that maybe
just maybe spending 100 million on condoms to fight aids
wont really create any new jobs..

but hell troganz is smilling

I wonder how many democrats own stock in condom compainies?
I mean im just asking..

jcila on January 30, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Call your Senators now and tell them to vote “No!”

Jenfidel on January 30, 2009 at 4:29 PM

The Gang of 14 effort being spearheaded by Ben Nelson might help

Now that we’ve got Steele at the helm, you people need to help. Call all this GANG and tell them that the aren’t little Napoleons running the RNC against it’s own fiscally conservative principals. No one voted them into this position and McCain isn’t President.

If you continue to allow these 14 idiots to hijack your party you deserve what you get! It’s like those dang primaries where you let non-GOP registered voters vote for YOUR elected officials. What are you thinking? It doesn’t matter if the have an ‘R’ at the end of their names if that don’t do anything ‘R’ like.

Sultry Beauty on January 30, 2009 at 4:37 PM

When you break open a rotten egg, even the chicken is gonna run away from it.

RalphyBoy on January 30, 2009 at 8:09 PM

I’ve voted for Ben Nelson both for Governor and Senator and right now I’m glad to have done so. I hope he has much success cutting as much fat from this pig as possible.

Yakko77 on January 30, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Senate Republicans: Vote no!

. . . then start all over.

DrStock on January 30, 2009 at 10:59 PM

The Democrats are on thin ice with this package. It’s not exactly unpopular, but it’s starting to get there.

Boo-yah.

ddrintn on January 30, 2009 at 11:01 PM

It doesn’t matter what the Democrats take out in the Senate. It will get put right back in in the Conference Report.

That’s the way they always do it.

The vote to watch will be on the Conference Report.

schmuck281 on January 31, 2009 at 5:35 AM

I was watching Glenn Beck earlier. Supposedly, they’re creating some sort of “bad bank” that will soak up the toxic assets. They’re calling it the “Bad Asset Repository Fund” or BARF.

eaglescout1998 on January 31, 2009 at 6:18 AM

In the long run no smart politician will want to be associated with the Democrat Pork Package [88% Real Pork] of 2009.

Moves like these by the democrats cost them Congress before, and it could again. Wake Up, Republican Senators!!!

DannoJyd on January 31, 2009 at 9:36 AM

They’re calling it the “Bad Asset Repository Fund” or BARF.

eaglescout1998 on January 31, 2009 at 6:18 AM

Now that’s change we can believe in…

RalphyBoy on January 31, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Is there a brain in Pelosi’s head?

Speaking of that, what is Hillary doing these days? Anyone seen her since ignoration day?

johnnyU on January 31, 2009 at 11:49 AM

DannoJyd on January 31, 2009 at 9:36 AM

That’s why it’s so vitally important that “we” take decisive, bold actions RIGHT NOW!!!!, don’t you see. Plus, it’s why it’s important not to listen to those “extremist” conservative commentators.

The more this bag of garbage is left out in the open, the more it stinks.

ddrintn on January 31, 2009 at 12:30 PM