Obama panders to unions by cutting off information to workers

posted at 12:19 pm on January 30, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Remember when Barack Obama and his administration tried excusing the rescinding of the Mexico City policy on the basis of free speech and keeping women well informed of their medical choices?  Apparently, Obama has less concern over American workers than foreign women.  According to CNN, Obama will sign an executive order reversing a requirement to inform unionized workers that they have a right to decertify (via The Corner):

President Obama plans Friday to reverse an executive order allowing unionized companies to post signs alerting employees that they are allowed to leave unions.

Critics of the order said that while unionized shops were allowed to let workers know they could de-unionize, non-unionized shops were not required to post information telling employees they could unionize. …

Another order would require service contractors at federal buildings to offer jobs to qualified current employees when contracts change. A third would require federal vendors with more than $100,000 in contracts to post workers’ rights under the National Labor Relations Act.

So American workers should not know that they have the right to de-unionize?  Obama wants to keep Americans in closed shops ignorant of their choices?  Keep ‘em barefoot and enlslaved to the Union Boss Bills of the world?

Just detecting another whiff of inconsistency in Hope and Change ….

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

worst.post-inaugural.fortnight.EVAH.

Buckaroo on January 30, 2009 at 12:22 PM

This is the real issue. The beginning of nationalized unions. The front in the battle for our rights to work and free speech.

genso on January 30, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Are we going to get French language instruction to go with this?

BTW, has anyone looked at the long term economic impact of this stuff?

IlikedAUH2O on January 30, 2009 at 12:22 PM

With each passing day, it appears that unfortunately, “America’s chickens… are… coming home… to roost.”

We got what the mindless masses voted for. God help us all.

singlemalt_18 on January 30, 2009 at 12:23 PM

BTW, has anyone looked at the long term economic impact of this stuff?

IlikedAUH2O on January 30, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Combine this with the protectionism that they are building into the stimulus package and see a flight of jobs out of this US.

genso on January 30, 2009 at 12:24 PM

So, it’s illegal to inform your employees that they don’t have to be in a union if they don’t want to be? What’s up with that?

Bill Scrunty on January 30, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Gee, some people could think that there was some sort of connection between massive union donations and voting support of Democrats and Obama’s pandering….

Star20 on January 30, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Remember, Unions are the friend of the Middle Class. And, if you don’t believe it, a Union Organizer named Tony Soprano will be knocking on your door very soon.

kingsjester on January 30, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Any remaining doubts as to whether The Obama is a bi partisan centrist?

Itchee Dryback on January 30, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Who has executive more executive orders: Obama or Chavez?

WashJeff on January 30, 2009 at 12:28 PM

That sounds a little ‘racist’ to me.
But then, evidently, Obama doesn’t have ancestors that were slaves bcs Daddy was African. His ancestors owned slaves on the white side, so apparently he is advocating a new kind of slavery.
Way to go Hope & Change.

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 12:28 PM

“Star20 on January 30, 2009 at 12:25 PM”

that’s crazy talk — next you’ll claim that same reason for duh1′s support of card check!
:-)
:-)

Buckaroo on January 30, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Attacking China on trade and forcing unions on American businesses will keep this recession going for a long time. But, like Rahm said, you can’t let a good crisis…..

genso on January 30, 2009 at 12:29 PM

“Itchee Dryback on January 30, 2009 at 12:27 PM”

someone might want to ask c. buckley …
:-0

Buckaroo on January 30, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Following your leader rush?

getalife on January 30, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Come on…thats just crazy talk.

Itchee Dryback on January 30, 2009 at 12:30 PM

kingsjester on January 30, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Heh heh heh.
That’s funny. And true I think.
BTW-us NEA teachers in ND (at least in MY district) cannot collectively bargain unless we are union members.
What’s up with that?
I’m not a union member bcs of that,btw. I’m a member for the protection from crazy sue-happy parents it affords me.

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Itchee Dryback on January 30, 2009 at 12:30 PM

If that made little sense, its because I pasted the wrong quote.

Itchee Dryback on January 30, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Two words here make all the difference: Allow & Require. Union businesses were “allowed” to post that employees could leave the union. Pro-union forces were upset because non-union businesses were not ‘required’ to post the opposite.

So now, rather than having adequately informed employees – at the choice of their employers – and keeping mandates out of it, Obama is mandating to employers that they cannot inform their employees of one of their rights.

jrlingreenbay on January 30, 2009 at 12:32 PM

So eventually we will all be working for a union. Is there a stay-at-home mom’s union yet?

ctmom on January 30, 2009 at 12:34 PM

“ctmom on January 30, 2009 at 12:34 PM”

DON”T give them any ideas!
:-0

Buckaroo on January 30, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Great points…

All the idiot do gooders like Buckley and other so called Repubs claimed the Messiah was a creterist and would govern down the middle and was NOT a radical…

Where are they now ???

Come on Buckley…. this is YOUR Messiah, own it!

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Who has executive more executive orders: Obama or Chavez?

WashJeff on January 30, 2009 at 12:28 PM

hey that’s a tick question Obama is Chavez

Mojack420 on January 30, 2009 at 12:35 PM

It’s time to reject Obammunism.

tarpon on January 30, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Interesting complaint from “critics of [Bush's] order” – complaining that while companies would be allowed to post information on de-unionization, companies are not required to post information on unionization. So those companies were already allowed to post pro-union info, but not anti-union info. I understand that no management in its right mind would post pro-union info, but the point is that they are allowed to post one way, but now, thanks to the Lord Messiah, not the other way. Heads I win, tails you lose.

BananaSlug on January 30, 2009 at 12:37 PM

The DOW was down 70 when he began pandering and was down over 100 when Babbling Biden stopped talking 20 minutes later….

JIMV on January 30, 2009 at 12:37 PM

The laws prohibiting employers from warning workers about the business effects of joining unions, and preventing employers from giving raises to stave off a union vote are nonsensical.

With this executive order-Another order would prevent federal contractors from being reimbursed for expenses that were intended to influence workers’ decisions to form unions or engage in collective bargaining., Ed is correct that it is limiting information that would be helpful to workers.

Imagine Obama signing an order making it more difficult for lending institutions to disclose information about the possible effects of loan decisions on a person deciding on a mortgage.

MayBee on January 30, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Zimbabwe, here we come!

PimFortuynsGhost on January 30, 2009 at 12:37 PM

“Every Republican member of the House chose to take Rush Limbaugh’s advice,” says the narrator after playing the conservative talk radio giant’s declaration that he hopes Obama “fails.”

It’s official. I hate these people. Hate them. Hate hate hate them. Liars. Arrogant liars. Calling the conservatives in Congress stupid. Lying to the American people about what Rush said in the first place.

I hate their lying smarmy asses.

Alana on January 30, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 12:31 PM

And YOUR thug union dues helped elect this idiot…

I heard, “me me me me me me” in your post, not whats really best for America, and UNIONS ARE NOT GOOD FOR AMERICA or our schools and children… Vouchers and good, free teachers paid WHAT THEY ARE WORTH ON MERIT are good…

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 12:38 PM

And a big ol wave goes out to the unions from the whitehouse…
Ten days folks and the oceans of hypocrisy overrunneth.

canditaylor68 on January 30, 2009 at 12:40 PM

JIMV on January 30, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Anecdotal to that….when Rush was on CNBC yesterday, the market halved its losses.

genso on January 30, 2009 at 12:40 PM

So let me understand this. They want to take away the secret ballot while Pelosi was chosen Madame Speaker with secret ballots as well as every other democratic chairmen of committees. What’s up with this.

Now I hear CNN, whose corporate headquarters sits in a Right to Work state, Georgia, and DOES NOT have a union in the Atlanta operation agrees with the President that Unions will help the Middle Class, You have got to be kidding me. The only thing a union will do to the Atlanta operation will create lay-offs. Just look at the auto companies. The companies with factories in right to work states are successful and not asking for a bailout while Detroit is progressively losing population and prosperity. Obama doesn’t get it. Unions will bring higher prices as well as higher unemployment since the corporations will not be able to afford the labor that unions will bring.

10 days in to this administration and Obama is quickly destroying America. Plus, every time this president speaks it’s gloom and doom and we must have the stimulus so his buddies at ACORN can steal the next election. ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES! It’s fun to watch Obama’s approval rating continue to plunge as people begin to understand and read what this guy is really up to.

Atlanta Media Guy on January 30, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Keep ‘em barefoot and enlslaved to the Union Boss Bills of the world?

Only if they’re white. Because obviously they deserve it.

fiscallyconservative on January 30, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Ed, I don’t think this is just pandering to the union bosses. This is who Obama is! We’re in a heap of trouble! Thank you to all those ignorant voters who thought Republicans controlled Congress!

Christian Conservative on January 30, 2009 at 12:44 PM

I notice that the domain “RecallThemAll.com” is already reserved, although it may or may not be for a drive to recall all of the CongressCritters (Reid, Pelois, etc.) who are the ones who are letting him do this stuff.

KCSteve on January 30, 2009 at 12:45 PM

The Chicago Way

LimeyGeek on January 30, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 12:38 PM

That’s nice. It is about me lately. “Me” is struggling not to lose “me’s” family ranch.
“Me” is struggling to make it on <25,000/yr. with 3 kids & 1 in college.
“Me” lives in a small town where little people like to sue other little people.
“Me” works at a school where they would literally dump on “me” if it came down to a lawsuit.
In a lawsuit, “me” might lose the family ranch.
“Me” & the spouse are struggling against a – ag income.
“Me” is tired of the 10yr+ drought making us sell more of our cows every year.
“Me” is getting tired of always trying to sacrifice for ‘the greater good’.
So as you can see, it is all about “me” here in little podunk ND.
As far as the unions for school-I agree that they result in mediocre to bad teachers getting = pay.
As a science teacher, I should be paid way more than a damned PE teacher, but that’s why I vote in union elections.
The only protection “Me” has from predatory a$$hole out-to-get-you administrators IS the union.
So, other than not educating kids & staying out of the mix, please give me a short term solution for “MY” problems.

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Lets see if the Obama-whores in the MSM will even mention this latest act of Hope and Change. When the revolution starts I’m going after the media folks.

Obama or Die!

dmann on January 30, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 12:52 PM

I admire your struggle, but don’t take my freedom and money to accomplish what you want. You made your decisions, why should I have to pay you for them.

genso on January 30, 2009 at 12:54 PM

please give me a short term solution for “MY” problems.

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Become a male prostitute

LimeyGeek on January 30, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Hey the unions (i used to be in one)
until the liberals ran every so called polluting
plant out of washington state..

the unions voted IN MASS for these IDIOTS
including Hope n change with obama

Yep your chickens are comming home to roost
And obama is going to COOK your Goose..
Unfortunatly all those union members will be out
on the street homeless when obama starts to eat it too..

Oh man you idiots elected his sorry ass
and this is week #2

I can hardly wait for week #3

jcila on January 30, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 12:52 PM

The only protection ME have from the big bad wolf is GET A DIFFERENT JOB WHERE YOU WON’T BE SUED… SELL YOUR HOUSE, MOVE TO A NON UNION AREA GET A NEW JOB TEACHING IN A CHRISTIAN SCHOOL… I got more…

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Can anyone remember when Democrats haven’t been for Big Unions?

rich801 on January 30, 2009 at 1:02 PM

genso on January 30, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Wait-how am I taking YOUR freedom & YOUR money away to accomplish what I want?
You are not paying for anything that I do.
I do not accept welfare. I am not on foodstamps etc.
I do not get ag subsidies. I do not have govt healthcare.
My healthcare is part of my salary & I pay part of it.
I am a public school teacher, & if you are suggesting that is the reason I am taking your $$, well then I beg to differ.
I am a union member bcs in the state of ND (& prob. other states as well) teachers have no where to turn, no way to fight for themselves, when an administrator talks ‘bad’ about them.
An administrator who writes a “bad” evaluation can do so just bcs they don’t like the way I look or smell & it’s religious doctrine according to the school boards most of the time, no matter what your rebuttal contains.
This evaluation can affect my entire career.
With the union behind me, I have them to step in as a protective force against predatory administrators.
And if you think administrators are not out to get people & use their unlimited powers (which schoolboards basically give them) on a teacher who has done no wrong-think again.
In small-town USA voting for a school board member is between usually ONE choice & that’s it.
So it’s made up of local people who already may have a grudge against people employed by the system.
So folks-unions are not all cut & dry & they are not ALL bad.
The NDEA I can live with. The NEA I cannot. But unfortunately my dues go for both & I opt out of the political contribution & that is all I can do for now.
But don’t place judgement upon me for being an NDEA union member when it’s all the protection I have for myself.

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Anyone can make excuses for belonging to an anti-American Union… Need more this, want more taht and the UNION will get it for me… blah blah blah…

Screw that… I will NEVER give up MY freedom to be RULED by a UNION, never, ever…

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Following your leader rush?

getalife on January 30, 2009 at 11:50 AM

So, do you want communism or socialism?

Johan Klaus on January 30, 2009 at 1:06 PM

It is who Obama is paid by.
No Obama union story should go without a mention of the $$ he received from unions. We should do with unions what the Dems did with Halliburton (and then Blackwater).

Obama himself has never been in a union, and as far as I know, his grandparents and mother were not in unions. His idea of unions is strictly a romantic/financial one.

MayBee on January 30, 2009 at 1:06 PM

There ARE non-union great schools out there, that PAY ALOT MORE to good teachers… MERIT pay… Christian schools for one… My Son went to one and I was on the board, so I know my facts.

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 1:03 PM

By supporting unions, you are doing these things. In fact, your teachers unions are the main reason that we have the impending socialism fast approaching. I’ve been in tough spots before where it didn’t seem like there was a way out, but I didn’t sell out to get out of it. You may look to them as protection, but the reality is, that is their plan. They want you to think they are your only salvation and you bought it hook, line, and sinker. They are using the same fear that the unions fought against many years ago when they broke up the company store/mill villages. Give you just enough to keep you, but not enough to let you escape.

genso on January 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM

CNN may sit in the middle of Atlanta, but it is snooty-hooty and, well, an enemy of the state and the State.

Alana on January 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Easy for you to say. Sorry. But I am no parasite. I do my bleeping job.
Moving to a “non-union” area is just avoiding the problem.
I can be here & a member & still stand up for what is right.
Teaching in a Christian school pays actually a lot less.
Why, pray tell, do I have to teach in a Christian school anyway to be a “good” teacher?
As far as selling my house-I live in a ’70s double-wide trailer on 500 acres in the middle of nowhere.
This “house” is part of my ranching operation.
You do not sell part of your “business” when you are looking to make a life & living out of it.
Like I said-it is very easy for you to say such things.
I am as rabidly conservative on major issues as they come. But I am no sell out when I become a union member bcs of the features it offers me & my family.
The NDEA differs from the NEA in many ways. It is more conservative in a lot of ways. Some ways not.
But you can’t have everything.
I would LOVE it if the state had more specific laws for teachers so they would have more rights. Then I wouldn’t have to be a union member in the 1st place.
So I will reiterate- it is easy for you to throw your stones. But I am not abandoning my beloved way of life in the ranching industry to go teach in a big city bcs that satisfies your definition of a patriotic conservative.
And I will not just stop teaching bcs I don’t believe the govt should be involved in education.
I can do my part from right here.

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Hussein’s family owned slaves; now he wants to try his hand as slavemaster.

Swing low,
Sweet chariot…

madmonkphotog on January 30, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Badger- you are absolutely correct that unions are not all bad, and you don’t owe any apologies or explanations. It isn’t up to anybody around here to tell you how to live.

MayBee on January 30, 2009 at 1:12 PM

MayBee on January 30, 2009 at 1:12 PM

I’m not telling him how to live. I just don’t want anyone telling me how to spend my money or whether not I can be open with my employees.

genso on January 30, 2009 at 1:14 PM

As far as I can tell, from everything taken together, they want to return us to the thirties. And hopefully, to the thirties in Germany.

Alana on January 30, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Hussein’s family owned slaves; now he wants to try his hand as slavemaster.

Swing low,
Sweet chariot…

madmonkphotog on January 30, 2009 at 1:11 PM

You read my mind from another post! LOL!

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 1:16 PM

A task force headed by Biden? What could go wrong?

Richard Romano on January 30, 2009 at 1:19 PM

genso on January 30, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I know you probably don’t know this, but I don’t have a penis.
My husband does. He’s the cowboy-I’m the cowgirl/teacher.
And where did I ever tell you how to spend your $$? Whether you can be open with your employees or not?
I just can’t seem to remember saying those things.
You should be open with your employees. You should spend your $$ the way you see fit.

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 1:19 PM

MayBee on January 30, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Thank you. I know I don’t. But when I get attacked like that, I feel the need to explain, perhaps hoping reasonable people may see their error & form a more informed opinion of such matters without remaining totally close-minded & thinking in only one narrow direction.

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 1:21 PM

I don’t have a penis.

And the envy is just eating you up

LimeyGeek on January 30, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 12:52 PM

In 1982, I was shot and lived on credit cards for a year, while I recovered. I started back to work and payed off the debt. Four years ago, while riding my motorcycle to visit my son in Kansas, I was hit by a drunk driver who ran a red light. Another year living on credit cards, while recovering. Back to work; repaying debt. Two years ago, I had major a surgery (Whipple). Another year living on credit cards, while recovering. Back to work.
Morale; sh*t happens. I had to get my butt back to work. My problems are my problem, not your problem, nor the rest of the tax payers problem.

Johan Klaus on January 30, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 1:19 PM

I didn’t know you didn’t have a penis. Does it matter? When you support unions, especially now, with this administration and Congress and no one to keep them in check, you are supporting a group that would love to tell me what I can say and how I can spend. As unhappy as you are with your situation, do you really think you would feel better if everyone was in your shoes?

genso on January 30, 2009 at 1:24 PM

I didn’t know you didn’t have a penis. Does it matter?

Hell yeah! A penis is an auxiliary brain.

LimeyGeek on January 30, 2009 at 1:26 PM

genso on January 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Nice advice. But that’s pretty paranoid in thinking the NEA is the reason we are moving toward socialism.
You think I haven’t weighed the options of being a member vs not?
You think I don’t understand the impact my membership may have?
My dues are supposedly going toward basic membership processes & not political activities of the NEA. I am not stupid enough to believe that some of my $$ doesn’t go there in reality, even though I opt out of that.
There are a lot of us conservatives who are union members here in ND bcs there is a NEED for some kind of a union in this state in this particular profession. As an NDEA member, I get NEA membership automatically. I would like that to change, but this is the best we got right now.
Understand-ND teachers have very little recourse without being organized.
Who will change things if we all flee?
The NDEA is not the devil incarnate & neither in the NEA.
But I agree that it presents a problem.

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 1:30 PM

genso on January 30, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Umm-don’t you know a joke when you hear one?!

And as I said above-ND teachers are in need of some kind of a union & this it what we have a choice of!
There is a movement for local unions only, not affiliated with NEA. I am hoping to get this off the ground.
You must live & breath among the enemy & live a good example in order to change their hearts.

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 1:32 PM

And the envy is just eating you up

LimeyGeek on January 30, 2009 at 1:22 PM

I confess. It is. I would love to be able to pee standing up.

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 1:30 PM

All you need to do is look at the stimulus package to see the political payback to the NEA in the form of billions of dollars. How much of that do you think you will see? For you to not understand that the administration of your school is part and parcel to your situation in naive on your part. We have been shoveling money into education for decades and our schools just get worse. It is not the solution. You would be better off fighting the unions than helping them.

genso on January 30, 2009 at 1:34 PM

jrlingreenbay on January 30, 2009 at 12:32 PM

I’m a Conservative, used to consider myself a Republican until it turned into Libs Gone Wild, and I’ve been a union member for the past 20 years or so. Not because I have to – I live in a Right to Work state – but because I really think that my union provides a voice for a portion of our workforce that might otherwise end up being trampled on. That being said, however, I do NOT condone keeping employees in the dark about any of their rights – whether to unionize, or to un-unionize. We have a “window” in which members can get out of the union – it’s only about a week, which has always bothered me, but our officers refuse to put the word out when that week approaches. They also become evasive when asked for the appropriate forms to get out of the union. This crap is going to make the officers in my union positively ecstatic.

uncivilized on January 30, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Maybe I did not express my thoughts well, possibly you felt attacked. Sorry for that as I believe Teachers are vastly underpaid and should have alot more power in the classrooms. So I hope you do not take my opinions to mean that I do not respect you or your profession. I do, I always supported the teachers when I was on the board becuse class disciplne and structure has crumbled. You have a tough job I get that… But being a union teacher for “protection” is like paying off the neighborhood gang so they don’t burn your store… Do you see our points? I’m just stating that if you can’t make it where you are, then you have to change your situation, your local, your job… It’s not upto the American people to support unions that tend to vote against America’s intrests. That was and is my point.

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Johan Klaus on January 30, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Well I’m glad to hear you are persevering.
I’m not sure if you are ragging on me for being a union member or not-but I am betting you are.
So all I have to say is:
I need protection in my job area in ND.
The only way to get the protection we need (collective bargaining, litigation) is to be organized.
The only way for us to be effectively organized is to form a union.
The only union to join here right now is the NDEA which gives automatic membership into the NEA.
I deserve protection from school boards that want to pay me little to nothing.
I deserve protection from school administrators harassing me in unprofessional ways & in professionally-disguised ways.
I deserve protection from students who would cry “molestation” when I give them a bad grade.
I deserve protection from parents who would cry “SUE” if I say something perfectly innocent they now claim has “traumatized” their child.
The list goes on.
This is the original reason unions were needed in the 1st place & that reason is why they are sometimes still necessary.

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Thank you. I also don’t want to seem mean. I feel for your situation, Badger. You seem to want to break from the union but starting a competing union is not the way. Get with like minded in you community and start a new, union-free school.

genso on January 30, 2009 at 1:40 PM

uncivilized on January 30, 2009 at 1:35 PM

When unions first formed I would agree with you on thier intent, protect workers… That day is so long ago, ANY union member now is a LEACH on America. Unions are NOT helping workers, they are hurting GOOD workers and creating SUB PAR goods and production. Good workers get the same pay as crap holes, they are LAZY… Can’t get your own tools, need a “helper” to get your hammer, 1 Supervisor for every 4 workers, ect… You CAN NOT defend unions today in America, other then if your one of the lazy, give me everything, earn nothing type of worker…

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 1:36 PM

I see your points.
I am not going to leave my way of life in ranching bcs I want to work at another school.
Bcs essentially where I live that is the choice.
3 possible schools I can work for:
1. the town where my mother is in the nursing home (currently is where I’m at.I live 15 miles from work.
2. School in town B where the conditions are deplorable. Not an option. Also-husband’s crazy ex-wife lives there & I will not go there bcs of just that! (trust me-these towns are that small)
3. Town 100 miles round trip from home that pays $7,000 less a year than I presently earn.
4. Town 180 miles round trip where the school will probably be closing within a few years bcs of reduced enrollment & consolidation with the school that is 20 miles farther west.
So picking & choosing is for people with no ties to the land.
My ties are to my land. This is 4th generation land. I work to provide for my family. My husband works on the ranch as I do & he drives truck during the times he can to make extra $$.
As far as my $$ all going against American interest when I pay my union dues-it doesn’t. I opt out for the political $$. Technically my dues should not support this.
But if you want to look at it that way-then your taxes are supporting govt’s habit of spending & redistribution. So stop paying taxes.
It’s circular. I will not cut my own throat right now.
Sorry. But based on my choices-and NO they are not self impose, this is my best option right now.
My ranch is important too & I will stay here to protect it from land hungry marauders who wish to see me go out of business.
I fight battles on many fronts.
I do not feel guilty.

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 1:48 PM

- but because I really think that my union provides a voice for a portion of our workforce that might otherwise end up being trampled on. That being said, however, I do NOT condone keeping employees in the dark about any of their rights – whether to unionize, or to un-unionize.

Exactly, uncivilized.

MayBee on January 30, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Let me start over, I live in NJ, use to live in Houston, TX. I am currently a non-Union supervisor in a Union Sheet Metal shop… I had to get approved by the Union, my title was set by the Union, the number of line supervisors I must have is set by the Union… I can not help in the shop, I can not change my own light bulbs, I can not take my trash out nor can I make improvment suggestions to my crew… I must go to the Union line Supervisor, have them pass on my instructions… We have to take people from the Union hall that I have NO SAY OVER, can NOT interview or dismiss without Union approval… I came from owning my own non-Union company in Houston for 15 years… You would not even begin to understand the differences and the productivity that I had in Houston…

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 1:49 PM

genso on January 30, 2009 at 1:40 PM

And you think this is not already in the works?
There are many of us who would like to do so.
But here is a fact: our school has ~182 student K-12. And it’s getting less as the years go by.
We have poor options. And in our sue-happy society, I am not yet ready to hang free in the wind without lawyers.

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Free speech is crucial. As long as I like what you’re saying.

hawksruleva on January 30, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 1:49 PM

I had a similar situation years ago and it is why I am so against unions. It effects more than just the union workers.

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 1:51 PM

I wish you well. You’re stuck between lawyers that work for both sides against you. This should serve as a cautionary tale of what this country will look like if we don’t stand up to them at every turn.

genso on January 30, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 1:51 PM

I’m sorry you still feel targeted… I still respect you and have read MANY of your posts here on HA and I do know you as very Conservative. We will just agree to disagree on this matter but I will wish you well, I do respect teachers, union or not… I just hate unions with a strong passion. If I implyed you to not be conservative or if I was rude to you, I’m sorry. I had no intent to attack you or your way of life.

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 1:56 PM

This “free speech” stuff is going to cost us a lot of money in this administration…

right2bright on January 30, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 1:40 PM

I’m shocked. How can you put down unions when they did such a great job in Dee-Troit!

Off topic, would you give me a ride to Pep Boys? I’ve got to put my Buick in the shop AGAIN (check engine light for the fifth time in four months) ;)

Laura in Maryland on January 30, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Laura in Maryland on January 30, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 1:56 PM

You’re cool with me. I respect most everything you say.
But in this area of my life, things are just not black & white.
Bcs of your personal experience, it’s black & white to you, bcs of mine, I have had to make a little deal with the devil.
I make lots of decisions like that as I grow older bcs my family comes 1st before my patriotism.
There are some things I will NEVER do, but some things I have learned to compromise on.
One compromise that galls me to no end (& my husband, too): we took disaster aid one year. It was a large sum.
But the drought was so hard on us, it was literally a choice of:take it or the cows starve bcs we gotta buy hay.
I am not proud of it. But we have worked so hard to build up our herd genetics & we did not want to ruin it for want of a little hay.
So fight on friend! We can all find something in common on here!

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 2:06 PM

genso on January 30, 2009 at 1:55 PM

I agree. I sure as hell feel stuck-between lawyers & my accountant.
Fight on!

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 2:07 PM

FYI, I would have taken it too… It WAS a disaster, you have worked and paid into the system, so I do not have ANY issue with that… I’m sure I would have been first in line.

And thanks for accepting my appology.

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Two words…transparency.

ballz2wallz on January 30, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Laura in Maryland on January 30, 2009 at 1:58 PM

If you can get it to Minnesota, I’ll have my boys fix it for free.

Bishop on January 30, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Hell yeah! A penis is an auxiliary brain.

LimeyGeek on January 30, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Like a spare tire, but less functional.

TheUnrepentantGeek on January 30, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Hell yeah! A penis is an auxiliary brain.

LimeyGeek on January 30, 2009 at 1:26 PM
Like a spare tire, but less functional.

TheUnrepentantGeek on January 30, 2009 at 2:19 PM

At my age I can’t use either anymore…

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Like a spare tire, but less functional.

TheUnrepentantGeek on January 30, 2009 at 2:19 PM

This is no time for confessional lamentations.

LimeyGeek on January 30, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Laura in Maryland on January 30, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Just put tape over it. Then everything will be A-OK.

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 1:38 PM

No, not ragging on you about being a union member. I grew up on a ranch here in Texas, so I know the frustration of trying to make ends meet and the need for a second income. I also think that the public school system is a joke, but here at least, the unions are part of the problem.

Johan Klaus on January 30, 2009 at 2:32 PM

(check engine light for the fifth time in four months) ;)
Laura in Maryland on January 30, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Yeah, but you’re supposed to do more than simply pop the hood to check the engine is still there ;)

Women drivers…

LimeyGeek on January 30, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Johan Klaus on January 30, 2009 at 2:32 PM

You do know that N. Plains Cattle are better?
LOL!
The public school system IS a joke.
Down here in our little corner we are pretty well insulated from most of the crap.
For instance- our music program for Christmas puts on a religious pageant. Imagine that!
There are a few radical teachers here, though, that want to get rid of that, but so far they’ve remained quiet with the large Catholic & Lutheran population.

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Women drivers…

LimeyGeek on January 30, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Why should I? That’s what a husband is for.

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Why should I? That’s what a husband is for.

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Yeah, I told my wife, that the reason that she had small feet was so that she could get closer to the stove. I haven’t quite recovered from that yet.

Johan Klaus on January 30, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Johan Klaus on January 30, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Women will evolve into being 3 feet tall with a flat head.

LimeyGeek on January 30, 2009 at 2:48 PM