McCain: I don’t see any GOP votes for the stimulus in the Senate

posted at 1:45 pm on January 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

Too good to check? Maybe, but I don’t think Maverick’s bluffing this time. So craptastic is this crap sandwich that Democrat Ben Nelson felt obliged to warn The One this morning that he can’t count on a straight party-line yes from his own side, hint hint.

And to add insult to injury, he chose Fox News as the network on which to deliver that message. Heart-ache:

“I don’t even know how many Democrats will vote for it, as it stands today,” Sen. Ben Nelson, D-Neb., told FOX News…

“What I’m hoping to do is bring together a bipartisan group of Republicans and Democrats and offer changes that will attract others and improve the bill,” he told FOX News. “People want this to succeed.”…

One item that likely will be discussed is an amendment that would add billions of dollars to infrastructure projects. Nelson is crafting that measure with Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash, and Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif, both on the Appropriations Committee.

And Nelson doesn’t want to stop there. He wants to pluck out what he says are extraneous projects in the stimulus bill to pay for the amendment. Providing hundreds of millions of dollars for prevention of smoking and sexually-transmitted disease — though they may be worthy causes — does not create jobs. Nelson even is willing to remove popular Pell Grant increases, saving them for annual spending bills later in the year.

I’m sure this is a bluff — the Democrats aren’t going to humiliate Obama with a close vote on his signature legislation — but if they strip enough crap out of the sandwich, the decision to vote against it will be significantly harder for the GOP than it is now. On the other hand, who cares? The bill’s bound to pass anyway, so anything that can be done to de-pork it is all to the good.

Note, by the way, how careful Republicans are being to blame the bill’s failure on the House, on Pelosi, on Rahm Emanuel (“Rahm hates us and lets us know it, and we hate him back”) — anyone but Obama. That’s a testament to The One’s approval ratings, but also evidence of how they’re maneuvering already to run on this in the midterms. Anyway, two clips here, with the stimulus bit in the first; I included the second just because it’s fun hearing Maverick sound constipated in having to defend Rush Limbaugh.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Noneya on January 30, 2009 at 2:48 PM

People who care about those within 200% of the poverty level can still have disagreements about the best way to formulate policy.
Your comment belies a real lack of intellectual honesty or maturity or perhaps both.

DrSteve on January 30, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Here, let me help.
You disagree with me – aaaaggghh you hate poor people!!!11!!

Corsair on January 30, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Noneya:

I care, I just do not think this bill will help. In fact I am not sure that it will not lead to hyper inflation in a couple of years.

Hyper inflation causes its own kind of suffering.

I supported the initial bank bailouts, because I don’t want to see the economy collapse. They are rioting in Iceland and Bulgaria..I don’t much want to see that here. However, the government says the economy grew at a slow rate in most of 2008, will contract in 2009 and will begin to slow at a slow rate in 2010. This will happen whatever the government does.

Terrye on January 30, 2009 at 6:15 PM

the real waste of money are the tax cuts for business (never been once proven to increase employment).

DeathToMediaHacks on January 30, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Care to take a guess at what the employment effects of increases in transfer payments are? Do you really want to have this argument?

I’ll give you one example: Housing Choice Vouchers (the former Section 8 program). What do you think the empirical evidence shows about the effect of voucher utilization on hours worked? On labor earnings? The record isn’t pretty.

DrSteve on January 30, 2009 at 6:17 PM

One thing that McCain has always appeared to be consistent on is his opposition to wasteful Congressional spending. Good on him.

Plus: maybe now that Bush is gone, McCain will feel less of an innate urge to jump across the aisle.

Harpazo on January 30, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Harpazo: Yes, agree. I think(hope)much of that was to set himself apart from Bush. On this bill I think he will come firmly down on the side of nay. Aside from this, Olympia Snowe, for whom I have scant respect, does represent a State where unemployment is a way of life. Rural and inland Maine has suffered from lack of jobs for what seems like forever. It does not excuse her, but might explain her. The thing is though, that she would get re-elected no matter how she voted on this bill, so I am giving her no leeway in this case. She will be a turn coat, a traitor and a coward if she votes yea. Collins, on the other hand, does not enjoy the immunity that Snowe does, but is at the beginning of her new term and a lot safer.

jeanie on January 30, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Trust but verify.

tarpon on January 30, 2009 at 6:36 PM

… while the President is trying to save our economy isn’t enough, …
Noneya on January 30, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Ughhh… There it is again. I keep seeing this meme throughout several threads by a few posters. I have challenged each of them to educate me to no avail. I am hoping you will oblige me. I just want someone to explain to me how it is possible for governments to save economies. I want to know how it is possible for an entity that is wholly dependent upon the taking of private money (taxes) for its survival to create jobs, wealth, prosperity. Just an explanation on how it’s mathematically possible for a net gain to the treasury it is when governments spend money will do. Thanks in advance for your help.

anuts on January 30, 2009 at 6:46 PM

You guys really don’t give a sh*t about the people suffering under this economy, do you? We are losing thousands of jobs every day and your reply is “get another job, lazy welfare libs!” well there’s gonna be about 6 senate and 20 house repugs who will need joblessness advice of their own in November 2010.

Noneya on January 30, 2009 at 2:48 PM
I posted this on another thread, but the same applies here:
In 1982, I was shot and lived on credit cards for a year, while I recovered. I started back to work and payed off the debt. Four years ago, while riding my motorcycle to visit my son in Kansas, I was hit by a drunk driver who ran a red light. Another year living on credit cards, while recovering. Back to work; repaying debt. Two years ago, I had major a surgery (Whipple). Another year living on credit cards, while recovering. Back to work.
Morale; sh*t happens. I had to get my butt back to work. My problems are my problem, not your problem, nor the rest of the tax payers problem.

Johan Klaus on January 30, 2009 at 1:22 PM

And I’ll add this reponse to the Ninnie, I mean Noneya.

I’m disabled but I want to buy a new TV that costs $10,000 (using this as an example so Ninnie can understand in simple terms, though I doubt it). My cash is all tied up in my deferred comp and 401K that I can’t touch for another 12 years and if I do, I have to be pay 20% capital gains on that $10,000 of my own money to buy that TV and I’m not going to do that.

If Obama would suspend that capital gains tax for a year, I’d take that money out and buy that TV…..

that I WILL be paying taxes on via sales tax, tax to the cable company and everyone else looking for some crazy tax.

But if I didn’t have to pay that crazy capital gains tax…
The guy at BestBuy who sold me the TV makes a big commision, so he’s happy and has a job.

The guy who drove the truck to ship the TV is happy cause he’s got a job and so is the guy who sold him the gas for his truck.

The guy who made the TV is happy cause he’s got a job

The guy who made the parts for the TV is happy cause he’s still got a job.

And we can’t forget about the Geek Squad who has to come, and who I have to pay, to set up the TV. He’s working, he’s happy.

But as long as I’ve have to pay 20% capital gains, I ain’t buy squat right now, which puts all of the above at risk of losing their jobs. So I guess I’ll settle for that converter box for $40 bucks.

Got it Moron????

Knucklehead on January 30, 2009 at 7:01 PM

You guys do realize the strategy here is to demand heaven, earth, and the moon, and then when they “compromise” with the dumbpulicans, they will negotiate from a position of strength, and still get 85% of what they want?

paulsur on January 30, 2009 at 7:19 PM

As long as the GOP stops voting for crap like this they’ll see a lot more votes in the future.

Mojave Mark on January 30, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Noneya on January 30, 2009 at 2:48 PM

what do you know about “the people suffering under this economy”?

don’t try to speak on my behalf.

eh on January 30, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Noneya on January 30, 2009 at 2:48 PM

I care about some and don’t care about others. I also care about some of the taxpayers who will spend their lives paying for these sh1tty appropriations, while I don’t care about others. My caring and not caring have little bearing on the matter. The appropriations are ill-considered, wasteful patronage; most of the disbursements won’t occur while they have any chance to provide useful stimulus, but will occur at just about the right time to cause inflation.

It’s dull-witted, simple-minded people who use such accusations about caring in place of sober arguments about means and ends. I do care about dull-witted, simple-minded people, Noneya, as I think their existence and multiplication causes problems for the rest of us.

Kralizec on January 30, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Noneya on January 30, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Living in a small town, I see quite a few poor people suffering. They are suffering so much that they never go without cigarettes, they go out drinking every week(if not every day), they go to Bingo, buy lottery tickets, continue having baby after baby(even tho they have NO way to support them) AND they drive nicer cars then I do. oh..dont forget the plasma tvs they have which they purchased at Rent-a-center and pay over $50.00 a week for…or the subsidized housing they live(paying no rent).

They also use their food stamp to purchase soda, candy, cookies and chips. I think government needs to stop paying for junk food such as this….I bet the obesity rate would go down then.

So why should any of these suffering people go look for a job? They have it better than I do..and I work full-time.

becki51758 on January 31, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Who cares, none of this matters . . . I give this poor sick Republic another two years maximum before it goes broke, collapses under the weight of this Marxist government and becomes nothing but a geographically large third world country.

rplat on January 31, 2009 at 9:02 AM

How ’bout that? Becuase when half of it kicks in it will be election time again. Smart move.

johnnyU on January 31, 2009 at 11:52 AM

1) McAmnesty always sounds constipated.

2) McAmnesty remains clueless. Consider the source!

3) America will survive the Obamination, but the Democrat Party might not.

DannoJyd on January 31, 2009 at 12:02 PM

This bill needs to be fili’d.

True_King on January 31, 2009 at 12:21 PM

I confess I cannot get myself to watch one second of McCain talking out of the side of his mouth again

Wherever he is coming from I know I am not there

entagor on January 31, 2009 at 1:15 PM

That latter response by McCain definitely needed more cowbell.

*snort* That was damn funny, Allah. Thanks for sharing that! ;)

itzWicks on January 31, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Noneya on January 30, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Noneya,
Please enlighten us:

Even though the legislation contains at least 152 separate spending proposals, the authors of the plan can only say that 34 have any chance at keeping or growing jobs. How do you see the other 118 spending proposals as helping create jobs for the poor and moving the poor out of poverty?

Which parts of the bill do you see that will quickly create jobs for the poor in the short term?

Which parts create lasting jobs for the poor in the long term?

Which parts you see that will give an immediate boost to the economy and how that will work?

The bill is loaded with items like $50 million for the National Endowment for the Arts; $400 million for global-warming research and $2.4 billion for carbon-capture demonstration projects. How do you see these and similar handouts creating jobs for the poor?

Which parts you see as just the same old pork and payoffs to democrat special interest groups?

Boneshaker on January 31, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Not to beat a dead horse, but the Depression Stimulus package has absolutely nothing to do with the economy.

It’s all about buying more votes for the Dimocrats.

notagool on January 31, 2009 at 5:51 PM

I really thought that John McCain came off very well and solidly substantive in the whole interview. He was very clear in: rejecting the current so-call “stimulus” bill; criticizing the Democrats in taking the approach they did of “they won and therefore they dictate”; criticizing the Democrat bill as containing many provisions that have nothing to do with fiscal stimulus; articulating a Republican alternative based on tax cuts, spending restraints and job creation; supporting the Arizona Cardinals annd Kurt Warner (the “old guy”) in the Super Bowl; and siding with Rush Limbaugh (note McCain referring to “our conservative movement”).

The criticisms of McCain made here are not justified. I fully expected John McCain to be solidly against the fiscal “stimulus” bill, which really is a pork bill, and he is in fact showing himself to be responsible and clear headed in opposing the Democrat bill. McCain has always been against such spending, and McCain can be counted on to oppose this exercise in Government spending and further to define an alternative based on tax cuts, spending restraint and job creation. McCain may sound a bit restrained concerning Rush, but Rush has been highly critical of McCain.

So give McCain credit. This is what we would like to see. It helps our cause.

Phil Byler on January 31, 2009 at 6:46 PM

It could be that none of this really matters. Obama is about to suck up Gregg for a member of his cabinet and then the Democrat governor of New Hampshire will appoint a Democrat replacement and the Democrats will have a filibuster busting 60 votes. If the Republicans let this happen then they are a neutered party and not worthy of anyone’s support and the country, along with our liberties are lost.

rplat on January 31, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Noneya on January 30, 2009 at 2:48 PM

what a simplistic game of intimidation these idiots play

Jamson64 on January 31, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Noneya on January 30, 2009 at 2:48 PM

If anyone in this country is “suffering” it’s because of those damn fool leftist Democrats that sanctioned and generated all of this toxic debt. Furthermore, the irresponsible dolts that sought out and accepted loans far beyond their capability to pay are also prime contributors to this fiasco. Before you elect to spew your venom on responsible people, be certain you know what the hell you’re talking about.

rplat on January 31, 2009 at 9:56 PM

what a simplistic game of intimidation these idiots play

Jamson64 on January 31, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Bingo.

Meanwhile, how’s our new Director of Homeland Security doing with those people freezing to death in Kentucky? Obama gets a Katrina moment within his first ten days in office.

chunderroad on February 1, 2009 at 3:21 AM

Noneya on January 30, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Noneya on January 30, 2009 at 2:48 PM

I ax again, why do you people continue to feed the troll?

angryed on February 1, 2009 at 9:10 AM