The Age of Obama: Heat for me, but not for thee

posted at 10:44 am on January 29, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Last week, Barack Obama caused quite a stir when he allowed himself to be photographed in the Oval Office without wearing a suit jacket, ending the Bush tradition of coat-and-tie for the West Wing.  The New York Times reports on how Obama made that possible during a colder-than-usual Washington winter.  All Obama did was turn up the thermostat to Hawaii hothouse levels:

The capital flew into a bit of a tizzy when, on his first full day in the White House, President Obama was photographed in the Oval Office without his suit jacket. There was, however, a logical explanation: Mr. Obama, who hates the cold, had cranked up the thermostat.

“He’s from Hawaii, O.K.?” said Mr. Obama’s senior adviser, David Axelrod, who occupies the small but strategically located office next door to his boss. “He likes it warm. You could grow orchids in there.”

Thus did a rule of the George W. Bush administration — coat and tie in the Oval Office at all times — fall by the wayside, only the first of many signs that a more informal culture is growing up in the White House under new management. Mr. Obama promised to bring change to Washington and he has — not just in substance, but in presidential style.

And thus did the Times fall down on the job yet again in the Age of Obama.  While candidate Obama talked endlessly of the need for energy conservation and limits on the use of fuels that produce so-called greenhouse gases, President Obama has no trouble heating the White House for himself to greenhouse levels, according to David Axelrod.  Did the Times even note the hypocrisy, or at the very least the incongruity, in its report on Obama’s White House?  Not at all.

Many people in America, especially where I live, would like to heat their homes to a comfort level where sweaters and coats become unnecessary.  However, Obama and the Democrats want to impose ruinous taxes and penalties on energy production and fuel that produces carbon dioxide — a naturally-occurring element — and make that choice economically unbearable for us.  In fact, candidate Obama spoke directly to that end in May of this year:

“We can’t drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times … and then just expect that other countries are going to say OK,” Obama said.

“That’s not leadership. That’s not going to happen,” he added.

Well, apparently some of us can, and those lucky few do call themselves “leaders”.  The rest of us call them hypocrites as we fetch another sweater.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Aren’t you forgetting that Bambi chastised Washingtonians for being pansies about the cold?

JiangxiDad on January 29, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Well at least he’s different from Carter in that respect…

But he has NO right to wave his finger about “energy consumption” now.

Skywise on January 29, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Forget orchids. My philodendron’s leaves froze on my windowsill. Thermostat 72? Forget that, too. OUrs is set at 59, as low as we can set it, at night and only at 66 in the day. But He likes it warm. Oh, really? Put your coat on, sir. I wear 3 shirts in the house and sometimes don a hat. Ultimate hypocrit.

Sloan Morganstern on January 29, 2009 at 10:50 AM

I mean hypocrite.

Sloan Morganstern on January 29, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Typical.

toliver on January 29, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Why not move the White House to Hawaii?

Mr. Joe on January 29, 2009 at 10:50 AM

We should be celebrating! This must mean he no longer buys into man-made global warming.

Bill Scrunty on January 29, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Wear a sweater and really channel the Spirit of Carter!

Mr. Joe on January 29, 2009 at 10:51 AM

he hates the cold? Boy, he sure did teach Washingtonians how things are done.

Phoenician on January 29, 2009 at 10:51 AM

“Flinty Chicago toughness” we can believe in!

Kid from Brooklyn on January 29, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Screw him and his heat. My house is cold, and we’ve learned to live with it, whether we like it or not – we simply can’t afford to crank up the heat to summer temps.

I’d knit the man a sweater, but I wouldn’t waste my yarn, time, or effort on a man that obviously couldn’t care less about his fellow Americans.

Anna on January 29, 2009 at 10:52 AM

We do hope that the wheels on his bus is properly inflated.

the_nile on January 29, 2009 at 10:52 AM

I’m shaking in anger.

Really? Is this post-worthy?

lorien1973 on January 29, 2009 at 10:52 AM

I thought he was from Chicago?

*$@$#$#$$#$#@ *SSHOLE!

JAM on January 29, 2009 at 10:52 AM

I he wore a button up sweater, he would look more like Steve Urkel than he already does. What a two faced jerk.

kingsjester on January 29, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Double Hypocrisy makes it ok…just like 2 lefts (wrongs) don’t make a right, but 3 do…

kirkill on January 29, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Jimma TarTar weeps.

Limerick on January 29, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Why not move the White House to Hawaii?

Great idea, Obama can just call in once a year.

izoneguy on January 29, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Obama doesn’t have to pay the electric bill. We do. It’s always easier to spend other people’s money. That’s something he’s obviously very good at.

Texas Gal on January 29, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Really? Is this post-worthy?
lorien1973 on January 29, 2009 at 10:52 AM

For those of us who are going to be paying exorbitant prices to heat our homes next winter thanks to this guy’s policies, yes.

At most, I turn our thermostat up to 68. And that’s when it’s really cold. This spring, I’m going to be researching alternative heating sources because it’s clear President Obama’s policies are going to send the price of heating oil through the roof again.

So yes, the realization that Obama doesn’t live by his rhetoric and is going to make life more expensive for me while not changing his own behavior does make me angry.

Slublog on January 29, 2009 at 10:56 AM

…… and you are surprised?

Typical leftist, one set of rules for the masses…….

…… another for the ruling class.

Good thing we have a free and independent press holding our elected officials accountable for their behavior……

……. wait, I already said that in a few other threads, and it is only day 9.

Seven Percent Solution on January 29, 2009 at 10:56 AM

I’m shaking in anger.
Really? Is this post-worthy?

Was the response worthy?

izoneguy on January 29, 2009 at 10:56 AM

House at 69 and my shop at 65.

Bishop on January 29, 2009 at 10:56 AM

I guess we’re all looking for a accumulative dawning. Meaning that the more the Left and Muddle get a look at the man they elected, eventually they will realize their foolishness in putting Obama in office. He wasn’t hardly fit to be a Senator, and all you have to do in the Senate is talk.
Carter had more executive experience than Obama, and look at what a disaster he made of his administration.
You know what? It won’t matter-Obama will probably win re-election simply because of the pride of the idiots who won’t want to admit that they made a mistake. See the Clinton second term as an example.

Doug on January 29, 2009 at 10:56 AM

It’s all the hot air he’s blowing out of his @ss.. simple as that

gatorboy on January 29, 2009 at 10:57 AM

The NYT proves Mark Twain’s statement:

“If you tell the truth you don’t have to remember anything.”

They seem to forget a lot lately…

right2bright on January 29, 2009 at 10:57 AM

carbon dioxide — a naturally-occurring element

A naturally occurring compound

LimeyGeek on January 29, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Some are just more equal than others.

Oink on January 29, 2009 at 10:58 AM

I’m shaking in anger.
Really? Is this post-worthy?
lorien1973 on January 29, 2009 at 10:52 AM

It is when the New Royalty yap at us on how to run our lives and then fail to live up to their own rhetoric.

Bishop on January 29, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Simple solution…

The Barry Thermostat Recalibration Act….

76 is now 62

Limerick on January 29, 2009 at 10:58 AM

When is the White House gonna get a solar roof and windmill?

CP on January 29, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Yes yes yes.

MayBee on January 29, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Why not move the White House to Hawaii?

Mr. Joe on January 29, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Sent HIM to Hawaii. We keep the White House.

IrishEi on January 29, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Anna on January 29, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Obama can cozy-up and channel FDR and re-create the Soviet Union while comfortably warm inside the Snuggie, the TV blanket with sleeves!

JiangxiDad on January 29, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Great catch, Ed. You’ve said everything that needs to be said.

unclesmrgol on January 29, 2009 at 10:59 AM

CO2 is not only naturally-occurring, it is biologically active. The biosphere utilizes it; when in abundance (below ridiculous levels), it will be utilized by the fauna. Of course, the fact that the ocean plankton is fixing 110 million tones more CO2 annually that previously measured is not something the Goracle likes to point out; it might show that Mother Nature is smarter than he is.

michaelo on January 29, 2009 at 11:00 AM

The Superman uniform he wears under it all should be enough to keep him warm. “He’s from Krypton, O.K.?”

BHO Jonestown on January 29, 2009 at 11:00 AM

I pray an ill fate befalls him and saves this country.

Alden Pyle on January 29, 2009 at 11:00 AM

76 is now 62

Limerick on January 29, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Did you get that from Pelosi?

JiangxiDad on January 29, 2009 at 11:00 AM

As a resident of Hawaii I can attest to being cold in 70 degree weather (it is 70 right now and I am wearing a fuzzy robe and am under a blanket). But that is because I am acclimated to the climate. When I lived in Michigan, I was acclimated to the cold. Obama has not lived here for decades, so to blame his Hawaii roots for his hypocrisy is utter and complete BS!

HawaiiLwyr on January 29, 2009 at 11:01 AM

JiangxiDad on January 29, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Pelosi’s face is so full of Botox she can’t feel hot and cold anymore, anyway.

kingsjester on January 29, 2009 at 11:01 AM

When the left felt free for 8 years to make fun and ridicule George Bush from the way he walked to the way he talked, then YES, absolutely every move this man makes and every word he speaks is FAIR GAME.

sherry on January 29, 2009 at 11:02 AM

This is a joke, right? Tell me it’s from the Onion.

Dear Leader nancy-boy sissy didn’t really do that, did he? How many dinosaurs had to die to keep his bony-butt warm.

billypaintbrush on January 29, 2009 at 11:02 AM

How hot was it in all those Muslim countries he’s lived in?

JammieWearingFool on January 29, 2009 at 11:03 AM

JiangxiDad on January 29, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Bit of humor – My Obama-loving mother-in-law wanted to buy me one of those, because I’m always cold. They look like tacky monk robes. Although, with the coming Ice Age, we might need to stock up on them. Meanwhile, the heat will just be cranked up another 10 degrees in the White House, while the rest of us freeze…

Anna on January 29, 2009 at 11:04 AM

I keep the thermostat at 63, because I don’t feel like paying $200 a month to heat my 900 square foot condo.

BadgerHawk on January 29, 2009 at 11:04 AM

I pray an ill fate befalls him and saves this country.

Alden Pyle on January 29, 2009 at 11:00 AM

DON’T SAY THAT! DON’T EVEN THINK IT! Two words: President Biden.

Mr. Joe on January 29, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Talk about being a pansy.

becki51758 on January 29, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Liberal: We are not hypocrites.
Translation: Do as I say not as I do.
Liberal: We must reduce our carbon footprint.
Translation: You must reduce your carbon footprint.
Liberal: We must all sacrifice.
Translation: You must all sacrifice.
Liberal: We must have more charity for the poor.
Translation: We’ll take your money and redistribute the wealth.

When will the American people get it?

Christian Conservative on January 29, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Fine post Ed, you’ve nailed Obama on his hypocrisy. One nit to pick, carbon dioxide is not an element, its a compound.

Maxx on January 29, 2009 at 11:06 AM

I pray an ill fate befalls him and saves this country.

Alden Pyle on January 29, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Guess who takes over if Biden cannot? President Pelosi.

Mr. Joe on January 29, 2009 at 11:06 AM

I’d love it if I could just turn the heat up to 68 and he’s sitting there with what? 75? But then it’s we who must sacrifice for the greater good isn’t it. And besides, he’s IMPORTANT!!!

jeanie on January 29, 2009 at 11:06 AM

What did the people who voted for Obambi expect. He had a non-traditional, sometimes anti-American, upbringing. He is a pompous, arrogant twerp with no respect for many American values. His hypocrisy knows no bounds. And he has just started. I wonder when voters remorse will set in?

sheriff246 on January 29, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Sent HIM to Hawaii. We keep the White House.
IrishEi on January 29, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Hold on a second, I like Hawaii. How about he gets to live in there but only in Kalaupapa?

Bishop on January 29, 2009 at 11:06 AM

DON’T SAY THAT! DON’T EVEN THINK IT! Two words: President Biden.

Mr. Joe on January 29, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Eh, that man was my Senator from the day I was born until I left the state in 2000. He’s the Gaffenmeister, but he’s the Devil I know. I don’t think Biden would cause nearly as much damage as the current President.

Anna on January 29, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Goodbye to the era of statesmen presidents.

Welcome to the era of the Chicago homeboy president.

Next he’ll be wearing jeans 4 sizes too big with the crotch hanging down around his knees and his boxers hanging out the back, with his hat turned around backwards.

UltimateBob on January 29, 2009 at 11:09 AM

As a resident of Hawaii

9 global warming degrees where I’m at.

Kiss my ass.

I can attest to being cold in 70 degree weather (it is 70 right now)

Kiss it again.

Bishop on January 29, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Let’s see here. Crooked, Liar, Hypocrite… I mean, this guy is a real winner.

marklmail on January 29, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Anna on January 29, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Much colder in the NE too, now that the lack of sunspot activity has caused ocean temps to fall. Feels more like the typical winters of my childhood. I prepared with two new union suits (don’t laugh), fleece vests, real wool socks, and wool gloves without fingers. I look like the brawny paper towel guy. But it keeps me warm, and I keep the heat at 66 now instead of wherever I wanted to.

Funny (not so) story. Here in NYC, millions live in gov’t provided housing. We call them the “projects.” Anyway, they’re heated to about 90 degrees. In the dead of the winter, the windows of these apt. bldg’s are wide open. It’s been like that for decades! Guess who pays for the heat :)

JiangxiDad on January 29, 2009 at 11:10 AM

four legs good two legs better

Defector01 on January 29, 2009 at 11:12 AM

I pray an ill fate befalls him and saves this country.

Alden Pyle on January 29, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Just pray that God convicts his heart and that’s enough.

Maxx on January 29, 2009 at 11:13 AM

yes and dont try to use an electric heater either, since this Stimulus Boondoggle has an Electric Utility Decoupling amendment in it that will no longer bill consumers by their actual usage..

unreal…but I am sure LIHEAP will pay the electric bills for the people Obama cares about..the middle class can take up the slack..again..

I call BS, call your CongressCritters, tell the Senators to get this decoupling amendment OUT of there!!

utility decoupling in stimulus bill

ginaswo on January 29, 2009 at 11:13 AM

How about he gets to live in there but only in Kalaupapa?

Bishop on January 29, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Is that a volcano or the leper colony? Either one would work for me! Maybe he’d even like a volcano since they are rather warm.

LOL

IrishEi on January 29, 2009 at 11:13 AM

What a load of happy horse shit! IIRC, he’s lived in Chicago longer than he ever “lived in Hawaii”. Just more of the same eco-crap that Al Gore has been pedaling for years.

GarandFan on January 29, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Now–let’s look at all of the above and realize that Obama(with us)is rapidly becoming the new Bush–but faster. question: If he had honestly compromised on the stimulus bill with some real give and take, would the GOP have voted for it and would we like him better?

jeanie on January 29, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Guess who pays for the heat :)
JiangxiDad on January 29, 2009 at 11:10 AM

The residents?

Bishop on January 29, 2009 at 11:13 AM

AND he isnt a frakin resident of Hawaii, he just told us yesterday how COLD it is in Chicago and how WIMPY everyone else is yet he has Hawaiian temps in the Oval???

ginaswo on January 29, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Great idea, Obama can just call in once a year.

izoneguy on January 29, 2009 at 10:55 AM

How hard is it to call in ‘Present’?

DaveC on January 29, 2009 at 11:14 AM

I agree. Not to mention President Biden = comedy gold.

DeweyWins on January 29, 2009 at 11:15 AM

IrishEi on January 29, 2009 at 11:13 AM

The last Hawaiian leper colony, but close to an active volcano would work for me too.

Bishop on January 29, 2009 at 11:15 AM

I’m from Kentucky where there’s lots of folks shivering because of downed powerlines due to ice storms. This happened on Obama’s watch, and where is FEMA!!??

I have a piece of advice for the POTUS. Put on your coat sir, and turn down the thermostat. I do.

Ellen on January 29, 2009 at 11:16 AM

I guess being responsible with energy consuption is above his pay grade.

Rovin on January 29, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Anna on January 29, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Maybe you could start a sweater-send-in campaign to the whitehouse. Maybe attach a not saying that us gun-toting, bible-clinging ingrates use these ‘sweaters’ to keep warm in the cold months.

gwelf on January 29, 2009 at 11:17 AM

I guess being responsible with energy consumption is above his pay grade.

Rovin on January 29, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Rovin on January 29, 2009 at 11:17 AM

First he trashes our greatness, then our free market economy, and now our dignity.

Thank you enlightened voters . . . you really stuck it to us this time.

rplat on January 29, 2009 at 11:17 AM

64 during the day, 52 at night, just to keep the pipes from freezing. If it’s around 40 at night the heat is shut off. Lots of blankets and I sleep with my wool robe on. During the summer, it’s set at 78. And I’m not doing it “to save the planet” or any such nonsense, rather it’s to save my money. Money that Dear Leader wants to take to spread around to ACORN.

rbj on January 29, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Well my house is sitting at 80* right now but then I use a wood stove for heat so the O can kiss muh arse if he thinks I’m going to lower it for him to save a tree that is already dead in my back yard.

tee866 on January 29, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Pelosi’s face is so full of Botox she can’t feel hot and cold anymore, anyway.

kingsjester on January 29, 2009 at 11:01 AM

And the Messiah’s ears are so big they act as solar panels!

House in NW New Jersey set at 69 (Propane), I’m from Houston, so I got an excuse like The Leader… /sarc

Mark Garnett on January 29, 2009 at 11:18 AM

“He’s from Hawaii, O.K.?”

Texas is hotter than Hawaii, O.K.?

James on January 29, 2009 at 11:18 AM

UltimateBob on January 29, 2009 at 11:09 AM

He’s part-way there.

But he better be careful, this is what can happen to people who wear their caps backwards!

IrishEi on January 29, 2009 at 11:19 AM

I really could care less about the jacket/suit/tie business as I prefer a more informal atmosphere myself but the hypocrisy of cranking the heat up so he can take the jacket off while telling others to suck it up is just what I’d expect from him.

Paradox Drive on January 29, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Color me shocked!!

A socialist being a hypocrite?

jukin on January 29, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Didn’t he live in Chicago for a while? It’s stupid, stupid cold there during the winter.

yeah, Messiah, I hate the cold too, but I can’t afford to heat my house to 110 degrees like I’d like to.

mjk on January 29, 2009 at 11:21 AM

How long since Ogabe lived in Hawaii? Forty years or so?

I’m actually starting the enjoy this clown’s antics, in a gallows humor sort of way.

Bishop on January 29, 2009 at 11:21 AM

I have no doubt there will be household energy credits dictated to every American in the near future. You run out in the winter and they use you for cryo-science experiments.

katy on January 29, 2009 at 11:21 AM

The Treas. Sec. is a tax cheat, Then Obama says we should conserve, turn themostats down during the campaign, then cranks the heat in the Oval office. I can hardly wait for the next big reveal.

MargaretMN on January 29, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Bishop on January 29, 2009 at 11:15 AM

I cannot believe you would want to impose Obama on the lepers. Haven’t they suffered enough? Although, he could heal them I guess. Seriously though, I was on Molokai last week and I would hate to ruin that island with the likes of him. How about putting him on Koolawe instead?

P.S. Kiss my ass Mr. Bishop :-)

HawaiiLwyr on January 29, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Maybe he could just start burning bundles of tax payer money in the fireplace, ohh never mind he already did that with the stimulus bill.

MDWNJ on January 29, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Bishop on January 29, 2009 at 11:15 AM

That’s perfect! Best of both worlds.

IrishEi on January 29, 2009 at 11:22 AM

The residents?

Bishop on January 29, 2009 at 11:13 AM

LOL. So close. And the answer is, YOU DO!

JiangxiDad on January 29, 2009 at 11:23 AM

So exactly how many coal plants are helping him keep the White House as toasty as Hawaii? And how much is he going to work to tax them into closing down for doing so?

MadisonConservative on January 29, 2009 at 11:23 AM

We live in Concord, CA – CONCORD, CA! – and have had to turn the heat down to 60 DEGREES because our gas bill SOARED in December.

We’re sitting there shivering because we can’t afford the $322 bill running the heat at 65 cost us.

But as long as Obama is warm and spending OUR MONEY – that’s what counts, right?

outOfElement on January 29, 2009 at 11:23 AM

I’m shaking in anger.

Really? Is this post-worthy?

lorien1973 on January 29, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Kind of sucks to have the guy you voted for president scrutinized for everything he does, isn’t it. Better get use to it, because we haven’t even started to “turn up the heat”. We are going to hold this guys feet to the fire. He’s in the hot seat now. Ok I’ll stop …LOL

Badbrucskie on January 29, 2009 at 11:23 AM

I want to hear this on Rush today now that all the dems are listening to him and see a skit on SNL this weekend. Everyone sitting around the oval office, sweat pouring off them, dabbing their foreheads and upperlips with their handkerchiefs, sweat stains under their pits and down their backs, while Obambi gets up every two seconds to raise the thermostat.

ctmom on January 29, 2009 at 11:25 AM

I guess being responsible with energy consumption is above his pay grade.

Rovin on January 29, 2009 at 11:16 AM

+10

Maxx on January 29, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Ok, now I got it . . . he froze the wages of his White House flunkies as an offset for his electric and heating bill. What a brilliant move.

rplat on January 29, 2009 at 11:26 AM

P.S. Kiss my ass Mr. Bishop :-)
HawaiiLwyr on January 29, 2009 at 11:22 AM

You know your wonderful home better than I do, how about that little island near the Na Pali coast, the one where the residents are descended from early explorers and you can only get there by the old landing craft they use?

Do know know the name of that place? It’s Johnson’s Island or something like that.

Bishop on January 29, 2009 at 11:26 AM

As the elderly turn down their thermostats out of guilt, and third world nations are denied energy producing systems by the UN, a well off kid from a White household in Hawaii burns away fossil fuel for his pleasure.

It’s good to be the king.

Hening on January 29, 2009 at 11:27 AM

BadgerHawk on January 29, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Same here. 63 Fahrenheit it is. Collie is comfortable, but my Filipina wife isn’t. She does not complain, however. She’s a real trooper.

My collie says:

You silly hairless humans just need more hair, that’s all.

Mostly, Odumbo needs to grow some chest hair. Maybe he needs testosterone supplements. Ya’ think?

CyberCipher on January 29, 2009 at 11:28 AM