The Age of Obama: Heat for me, but not for thee

posted at 10:44 am on January 29, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Last week, Barack Obama caused quite a stir when he allowed himself to be photographed in the Oval Office without wearing a suit jacket, ending the Bush tradition of coat-and-tie for the West Wing.  The New York Times reports on how Obama made that possible during a colder-than-usual Washington winter.  All Obama did was turn up the thermostat to Hawaii hothouse levels:

The capital flew into a bit of a tizzy when, on his first full day in the White House, President Obama was photographed in the Oval Office without his suit jacket. There was, however, a logical explanation: Mr. Obama, who hates the cold, had cranked up the thermostat.

“He’s from Hawaii, O.K.?” said Mr. Obama’s senior adviser, David Axelrod, who occupies the small but strategically located office next door to his boss. “He likes it warm. You could grow orchids in there.”

Thus did a rule of the George W. Bush administration — coat and tie in the Oval Office at all times — fall by the wayside, only the first of many signs that a more informal culture is growing up in the White House under new management. Mr. Obama promised to bring change to Washington and he has — not just in substance, but in presidential style.

And thus did the Times fall down on the job yet again in the Age of Obama.  While candidate Obama talked endlessly of the need for energy conservation and limits on the use of fuels that produce so-called greenhouse gases, President Obama has no trouble heating the White House for himself to greenhouse levels, according to David Axelrod.  Did the Times even note the hypocrisy, or at the very least the incongruity, in its report on Obama’s White House?  Not at all.

Many people in America, especially where I live, would like to heat their homes to a comfort level where sweaters and coats become unnecessary.  However, Obama and the Democrats want to impose ruinous taxes and penalties on energy production and fuel that produces carbon dioxide — a naturally-occurring element — and make that choice economically unbearable for us.  In fact, candidate Obama spoke directly to that end in May of this year:

“That’s not leadership. That’s not going to happen,” he added.

Well, apparently some of us can, and those lucky few do call themselves “leaders”.  The rest of us call them hypocrites as we fetch another sweater.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Al gore schedules a global warming speech or event in the middle of the bahamas in july

My forcast
In the middle of july in the bahammas it will be
icy , snowing and frewezing rain with temperatures approaching ZERO..

how much you wanna bet i will be 100% accurate..

I think it’s God having a laugh.

Alana on January 29, 2009 at 2:44 PM

“You are setting this trend where everyone wants to go sleeveless!”

Heat has to be cranked up for sleevless Michelle.

Brat on January 29, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Parents certainly influence their child’s behavior.

Vernon Hardapple on January 29, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Could also explain why Bambi is such a hypocrite. After all, he was raised (partially) by an anti-American hippie mom who got knocked up at 17 by a married-with-children foreigner. Then (before she dumped little Bambi on her own parents), she spent several years living off U.S. welfare checks, paid for by the fellow Americans she loved to mock and disparage. And then there’s Bambi’s wonderful father: a chronic drunk, narcissistic liar, womanizer, wife-beater, serial child-abandoner and all-around failure of a human being. Wonder which of his charming character traits little Bambi is going to be displaying?

AZCoyote on January 29, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Hey, speaking of knocked up at 17 – any update on when Levi and his baby mama are going to get married? Will his mother be cooking the meth for the reception?

Vernon Hardapple on January 29, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Everyone makes thing big deal out of this guy being from Hawaii. He hasn’t lived there in DECADES! He has lived in other “tropical” places like Boston, NYC, Chicago and Washington DC. One would have thought that he would be acclimatized to cold weather by now…

If he is that freaking “cold” then he needs to learn to dress properly. Mix in things like warmer socks, sweaters and maybe even some thermal underwear.

Nahanni on January 29, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Memo to Vernon Hardapple-LOSER:

Posting replies such as that only serve to spotlight the fact that you had no argument to begin with and are childishly trying to save face with your snarky little comments that I am sure you think are very “intelligent”.

Might I suggest you go over to the insane asylums of Kos, DU and PuffHo. There comments such as yours pass for “intellectual conversation”.

<——The door is thataway. Don’t let it hit you on the arse on the way out.

Nahanni on January 29, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Go easy on Vermin Roadapple. He has to work so hard to find things to get angry about, which is a lot tougher now that we’re all living in paradise.

Jim Treacher on January 29, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Levy did not run for President.

His future mother in law, I am sure, could teach our new President something about energy conservation.

Rockygold on January 29, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Vernon Hardapple

Levis’ baby will grow up and be the President in 35 years. Just like Obama only this baby won’t do dope like O did.

Herb on January 29, 2009 at 3:58 PM

I just turned my thermostat up to 72 as a patriotic gesture in solidarity with our awesome new President! This is fun!

rockmom on January 29, 2009 at 4:04 PM

“The capital flew into a bit of a tizzy when, on his 1st day in the White House, Pres. Obama was photographed in the Oval Office without his suit jacket. There was, however, a logical explanation: Mr. Obama, who hates the cold, had cranked up the thermostat…David Axelrod, who occupies the small office next door to his boss, “He likes it warm. You could grow orchids in there.”

It’s not so much that he won’t wear a coat in the Oval Office as the explanation of it. The MSM is contradictory. I can’t stand BS! If he wants to be lax, admit that but then to be considered Chicago Tough outside without an overcoat in cold D.C. weather? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/28/obama-braves-the-cold-wit_n_161695.html ? WTF? After he scolded us:

“We can’t drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times … and then just expect that other countries are going to say OK,” Obama said.”That’s not leadership. That’s not going to happen…”

Sorry for repeating but I had already written this up on FB.

Sultry Beauty on January 29, 2009 at 4:04 PM

This is especially comforting when a 93 year-old hero veteran of WWII was allowed to freeze to death in his own home when the utility cut off his power – maybe der Obamanfuhrer might oughta spend some time trying to make sure that those who deserve our help the most get it before he makes the White House into a sauna.

babylonandon on January 29, 2009 at 4:08 PM

The rest of us call them hypocrites as we fetch another sweater.

Elitist hypocrites… and especially contemptible when they want to take away our freedoms.
The larger significance of this little incident is that it’s emblematic of the left’s elitist attitude toward governance. It’s a glimpse of things to come in the Obamanation.

petefrt on January 29, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Famous line from the movie Gorky Park, I have a Hole in my boots, the director said he would buy me a new pair if I slept with him…William Hurt character: Well Winter is almost over.

Why did Mr Obama’s behavior remind me of Socialist Russia? President Obama tells Americans to turn down their thermostats while he turns up the heat in the White House. “Privileged” Well it is true Winter is almost over LOL!

Dr Evil on January 29, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Why doesn’t he follow Carter’s example and put on a sweater and set the thermostat to 68 degress? What a phony.

cjs1943 on January 29, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Yep, and I can’t believe I’m beggining to think the unthinkable, Obambi could be a worse president than Carter…**SHUDDER**

Liberty or Death on January 29, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Parents certainly influence their child’s behavior. Could explain why the Bush twins spent years falling down drunk.

Vernon Hardapple on January 29, 2009 at 1:56 PM

So did I. It’s called college.

Chuck Schick on January 29, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Ed: Some nitpicky vocabulary correction. Carbon dioxide (CO2) is not an element. It is a compound that consists of two elements, carbon (C) and oxygen (O). Liberals look for cause to dismiss conservative arguments. The tech savvy among them might use this minor error thinking, “The silly global warming denier doesn’t even know the difference between an element and a compound.”

exdeadhead on January 29, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Guess who takes over if Biden cannot? President Pelosi.

Mr. Joe on January 29, 2009 at 11:06 AM.

Ok, believe it or not, I could handle a President Biden. In fact, I would prefer it to our current situation. But, a President Pelosi is a completely different story!! Obama, Pelosi, Obama, Pelosi . . . . I don’t know, I think it’s a toss up.

Callie C. on January 29, 2009 at 5:38 PM

At least this President had his pants on.

moxie_neanderthal on January 29, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Al Gore could not be reached aboard his new Gulf Stream 5 for comment.

moxie_neanderthal on January 29, 2009 at 5:41 PM

didn’t he win? what do you expect. He’s a liberal…err progressive….err democrat.

kanda on January 29, 2009 at 6:08 PM

Best part of the Obamessiah pumping up the temperature, is now we know all that global warming, save the planet, think of the polar bears, inflate your tires, and carbon footprint stuff is just a bunch of hooey, some alrmist stuff to redistribute wealth to Al Gore. We know, because if it was serious…Dear Leader’d be showing us a different example. Right, fellow lemmings?

marybel on January 29, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Say it isn’t so! This is priceless.

“He likes it warm. You could grow orchids in there.”

That’s pretty warm.

Who’d of thunk it. Obama is another socialist liberal hypocrite.

Mr Gus on January 29, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Global Warming =

F alse
E vidence
A ppearing
R eal

SoldiersMom on January 29, 2009 at 6:41 PM

This is the absolute best example of just how ignorant liberals are. NYT, Axelrod and O all couldn’t see the hypocrisy in this ? !!!

I swear, they won’t be able to see a nuke until, well, it’ll be too late. They have no concept of cause/effect.

SoldiersMom on January 29, 2009 at 6:45 PM

If I were the average Obama supporter eating hot dogs and boxed mac and cheese while bundled in a ratty sweater watching my old TV, I am CERTAIN I would be po’d to learn that the man who asked me to have “skin in the game” and “to sacrifice” had invited a bunch of friends (?) to dine on $100/lb beef last night and had turned up the temp in the Oval Office to 72 degrees.

On the other hand I would take great consolation in knowing that when this stimulus bill is passed, I will get one of those vouchers that will let me upgrade my old TV to digital! And it’s FREE!

DrStock on January 29, 2009 at 7:26 PM

It’s the way of elites.
One set of rules for them. A different set of rules for us.

JellyToast on January 29, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Obama would not do well here in Minnesota.

Aronne on January 29, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Wait a second… didn’t he just move here from Chicago?

4shoes on January 29, 2009 at 8:32 PM

So, tell me, when was the last time he actually lived in Hawaii?

High school?

INC on January 29, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Vernon Hardapple on January 29, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Of course, they didn’t “spend years falling down drunk!”
Both of them finished college and then went to work, working for aid/charity organizations in foreign countries and here at home!
They are nice girls from an extremely nice family.

Why do you write such hateful and blatantly untrue things???
(By the way, the presidential daughter who was caught on camera falling down drunk was Chelsea Clinton.)

Jenfidel on January 29, 2009 at 8:44 PM

I don’t think he cranked the Oval Office up to 72 degrees. If it’s hot enough for orchids, I’d say he cranked it to 77 at least!

I’m still reminded of the last scene in Animal Farm. Freezing animals outside, warm pigs inside.

InCali on January 29, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Hawaii my a$$. He’s from Chicago – and it gets cold there EVERY winter. Of course, now he doesn’t have to pay his own electric bill. We do.

uncivilized on January 29, 2009 at 9:19 PM

INC
uncivilized

THANK YOU for pointing this out. duh1 is NOT “FROM HAWAI’I.” he left after h.s. and has basically never been back except for crass political appearances …

/annoyed aloha stater …

Buckaroo on January 29, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Hipbamocrit.

RalphyBoy on January 29, 2009 at 9:58 PM

The hypocrisy of this POS paparazzi president is at times MIND NUMBING!!!!!!!!

Winebabe on January 29, 2009 at 10:17 PM

InCali on January 29, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Thanks, I’d forgotten that.

I couldn’t get through on the phone to my Dem senator today. I sent him an email.

I’ll try to call again tomorrow. I did mention the Rangel bill in the email, but I think I’ll use Animal Farm on the phone.

INC on January 29, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Buckaroo,

You’re welcome.

Chicago politics can claim him as their own.

INC on January 29, 2009 at 10:54 PM

“Do you like orchids [Mister Marlowe] ?”
“Not particularly,” I said.
The General half-closed his eyes. “They are nasty things. Their flesh is too much like the flesh of men.”
-Raymond Chandler: “THE BIG SLEEP“.

Keep turning up the heat on Obama, ED!

profitsbeard on January 29, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Obama feels the heat. Must be a case of afurnacing action.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on January 30, 2009 at 12:14 PM

It’s all good. It’s right up there with the champagne and $100 a pound steak.

TrickyDick on January 30, 2009 at 1:57 PM

InCali on January 29, 2009 at 8:53 PM said:

I think it has to be cranked even higher than that to become comfortably warm. I often like to crank my home up between 78 & 82 when at home & relaxing — but that’s because I choose to afford it. But then again, in the Summer, I also keep my thermostat between 80 & 85, so my AC bill is neglible. Anyone want to bet that when Summer comes, the great O will crank the AC to 60-something?

Think of the West Wing’s architecture — high ceilings, large windows etc etc. I haven’t seen anything as to whether the windows are double-paned. Granted the windows are bullet-proof, but their thermal co-effiecient is less than that of double-paned.

In any case, for every degree of change, the added energy required is exponential. IOW, I’m betting that raising the temp from 68 to 78 is doubles the energy required when it’s freezing outside.

This is what Michelle O meant when she said BHO will require We-The-People to give/serve… Never mind that the BHO admin will lay a larger & deeper carbon footprint than the Boooosh Admin.

AH_C on January 31, 2009 at 4:17 AM