New California pump rules squeeze small station owners out

posted at 6:30 pm on January 29, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

When government tries to convince people that their latest regulations won’t be any problem at all, keep this story in mind.  California will force gas stations to replace all of their pumps in favor of newer models that marginally improve the capture of gas vapor at the nozzle.  The improvements will cost tens of thousands of dollars per station, and that may force hundreds of independents out of business:

Dozens, and potentially hundreds, of gas stations around California are choosing to shut down rather than comply with a state mandate that would require owners to purchase new equipment to reduce vapor emissions at the pump.

The requirement, known as Phase II in the state’s Enhanced Vapor Recovery Program, is set to go into effect in April. It requires gas station owners to individually purchase tens of thousands of dollars of equipment designed to prevent harmful vapors from escaping into the air when gasoline is pumped.

But smaller retailers say that the requirement puts an unfair burden on businesses that don’t sell enough gasoline to offset the extra cost – and that don’t contribute much to the problem in the  first place.

California says they’re overreacting.  Why, all they need to do is increase the price of gasoline:

“We do calculate the cost of compliance with the regulation as related to emissions,” Stanich said. “These costs could be recovered by raising gasoline prices by an average 0.68 cents per gallon.”

Well … that’s for the large chains.  For the others?

Lower-volume sellers would have to raise prices more to offset costs, he added.

Got that?  The big retailers can afford the required pumps because they only have to raise the cost of gasoline less than a cent a gallon.  However, smaller retailers will have to increase their prices more, making them less competitive and forcing them to lose business.  And what will that gain California?

April’s regulations promise to cut what are known as reactive organic gas emissions by 7 tons per day statewide, but opponents point to the fact that California produces 2,322 tons of such gases per day.

In other words, California will put dozens and perhaps hundreds of smaller retailers in order to reduce 0.0030146425495262704565030146425495 of the daily emissions in California.  Jobs will be lost, tax revenues reduced, and consumer choice restricted, and California thinks that’s worth a 0.3% reduction in organic gas vapor.  (via Instapundit and Autobloggreen)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

so you love america but hate the blue states? how very christian..

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Red or Blue its America and we conservatives love it all. It’s just the people whom want to remake it into nanny state at every turn, that we have trouble with.

Alex Martinez on January 29, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Before long Ca. will be the state of the uber rich that keep their money offshore and their illegal alien servants.

goat on January 29, 2009 at 8:24 PM

To paraphrase: Don’t hate the state, just the brain dead Liberal Assholes that live there.
Ringing any bells???
BigWyo on January 29, 2009 at 8:19 PM

I hate all the fat lezzies in the blue states. That’s ok, right?
JiangxiDad on January 29, 2009 at 8:21 PM

I hope you and the rest of you blue-devil idiots get the results of your beliefs…enjoy detroit…which is what this country will become with democRAT policies…idiot
right4life on January 29, 2009 at 8:22 PM

wow! did you good christians use the words of jesus christ himself right there? what page of the bible does it say it’s ok to hate your fellow countrymen?

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 8:27 PM

so you love america but hate the blue states? how very christian..

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 8:17 PM

You misunderstand…let me make it plain and simple.
I love America (capital by the way), which includes states, I hate flaming liberals, I hate people who attend and worship things like the Folsom fair, and I particularly dislike you…liberals, and this post is a good example, will screw the little guy as often as a gay in a San Fran. bath house.
They say they are against “big” business, but every action they take entrenches big business, big unions, and it destroy the average man.
So you have a system of the very wealthy and elite, and you end up with the poor, and few middle class…who btw have been the conservative class throughout history.
Such is the country you are supporting, getting rid of the middle class…therefor you and your ilk are the enemy…not the states, but liberals.

right2bright on January 29, 2009 at 8:27 PM

How long before enough people have just up and left California before squatters move in and start claiming land / house lots?

BowHuntingTexas on January 29, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 8:27 PM

You called Rush something like a fat pig the other day. You’ve called others fat and disgusting at other times. I’ve commended you for not being a PC liberal, willing to offend and criticize whomever you like, and then I take that opportunity to tell you that I don’t like lezzies. Nothing Christian or non-Christian about it. Wasn’t a religious comment. Was a lezzie and fat comment.

JiangxiDad on January 29, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Wait until MA gets on board…

Well, self-service pumps need to go.

We need state run, full service gas stations, manned by Vehicular Petroleum Technicians, who will receive extensive eco-training to limit vapors released up to .04%.

The VPTs will be unionized employees of the state and make $27.00 per hour (plus all the lovely benefits, pension, etc…)

All gas stations will be closed on holidays and Sundays, open half-days on Saturdays (libs hate religion, but still like to honor the day off on Sunday).

The must be one supervisor for every 4 VPTs, a manager for every 4 supervisors, a director for every 3 managers, and a senior director for every 2 directors.

Each station will have a full staff of maintenance technicians and vapor monitors, complete with the appropriate supervisor chain.

Gas will be $90 per gallon, but extended families of state pols will be employed which will boost the economy.

reaganaut on January 29, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 8:27 PM

First lesson, an non-christian has no standing in criticizing a Christian.
Mainly because you don’t know the bible…it says nothing about loving or hating “countrymen” but it does say about loving and hating your fellow man…and evil is to be hated and destroyed.
Aren’t you the one who ridicules the bible, and now you want to use it?
Hey, it’s getting late, Krispy Kreme is closing…

right2bright on January 29, 2009 at 8:30 PM

therefor you and your ilk are the enemy…not the states, but liberals.
right2bright on January 29, 2009 at 8:27 PM

why are so obsessed with the folsom fair? was it held in your house or something? were you forced to attend it? and why are you so obsessed with homosexual acts if you are heterosexual? is that you, Sen. Craig?

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 8:27 PM

yeah here’s what He’d say to people like you:

John 8:44
You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

so yeah calling you an idiot is rather mild…but very truthful…

right4life on January 29, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Why do you defend homos so much? what makes them so special, or not subject to ridicule?

JiangxiDad on January 29, 2009 at 8:31 PM

reaganaut on January 29, 2009 at 8:30 PM

The best so far! lol

Alex Martinez on January 29, 2009 at 8:33 PM

oh and you’d better be careful..or that loving liberal ‘jesus’ who is not the real Jesus, just a god in your own image, may say to you:

Matthew 25:30
And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

you should stop using His name in vain…He is not mocked…and HE will get the last laugh.

right4life on January 29, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Where did you ever get the idea that I’m a Christian???

I guess I would be considered more of an Agnostic than anything…

There is no kind of moral teaching of the Bible that points to what a complete amoral brain dead Toliet Bug you are…just plain old common sense…

BigWyo on January 29, 2009 at 8:41 PM

As a California resident, all I have to say is “F@ck California!”

monotonousboy on January 29, 2009 at 6:44 PM

I didn’t read all the comments here, but, (also as a Californian for over 50years), I’d like to remind all you folks across this nation that California has ALWAYS been the test market for MOST of the lunacy liberal and environmental laws that are adopted in YOUR neighborhood.

You all need to keep a closer eye on this state so that when these idiots in the state legislature come up with some of these communist/Stalinist ideas, (with the help of today’s internet), we can all help stop some of this crap.
I guarantee you, if it gets passed here….it’s coming to a “theater near you” tomorrow.

Rovin on January 29, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Not just gas stuff that costs them.

We reduced the number of trips we take to CCCPalifornia several years ago when they started charging hotel tax on vacation condo exchanges. So, what was a simple exchange fee and the ability to spend time on the coast added about another $150 to our stay. Probably costs CCCPalifornia about $1500 to $2000 worth of business each year just from us as we really enjoyed the coast. However, we have found that Sedona and Pinetop, AZ are pretty nice also and we don’t feel like we are getting reamed by the government.

AZfederalist on January 29, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Where did you ever get the idea that I’m a Christian???

I guess I would be considered more of an Agnostic than anything…

BigWyo on January 29, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Good point. I’m not a Christian either. I guess I would be considered more of a Gnostic than anything…

JiangxiDad on January 29, 2009 at 8:49 PM

doriangrey on January 29, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Hm. A question: What are the sales taxes like there?

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Don’t presume to mention the Bible, ever again. You have NO real grasp of it, and are only using selected parts to fulfill your own world view. You’re like the atheist who shortens one sentence of a Psalm that says “The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God” to “there is no God” and then claims the Bible refutes itself.

You might want to reflect on this, if you’re going to invoke something you have no understanding of again:

2 Corinthians 4:1-2

Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not; But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man’s conscience in the sight of God.

Ryan Gandy on January 29, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Land of fruits and nuts has never been a more apropos description of kalifonia.

jukin on January 29, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Don’t presume to mention the Bible, ever again. You have NO real grasp of it,

Ryan Gandy on January 29, 2009 at 8:52 PM

I can grasp how ridiculous your little fairy tale book is, and how weak you are that you need to live your life according to it (and what a great job it’s doing making you a caring person too haha)

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 9:09 PM

This is great. You hate Christians and Fatties. Any other groups? You are such an unusual lib, admitting to all this hate. Actually, I think you are honest. And I would like you unless you are a blue state lezzie.

JiangxiDad on January 29, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Don’t feed the trolls, they will starve for attention and go away.

goat on January 29, 2009 at 9:15 PM

JiangxiDad on January 29, 2009 at 9:13 PM

I don’t hate you repugs, I am here to show you the errors of your ways and expose how ridiculous your thinking is.

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 9:16 PM

This state along with a few others will be bankrupt this year.For the frist time in the last 100 years more people are leaving Calif. than are moving there.We now see the results of what happens when the nanny state and uncheck libs get total control.This state has a 43 billion $ def.and in next years budget they increase spending by 8 or 9 billion.Sorry to say this but you people of California deserve all of what you are about to get.

thmcbb on January 29, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Oh. I didn’t get that part. Anyway, I do love the hate and non-hate parts. Most libs say they love everyone, especially the ones they hate the most. You are refreshing in hating some groups openly. I suspect you show the same tolerance towards people who hate other groups, like libs or blue lezzies. That’s the part I like about you(but not the blue lezzie.)

JiangxiDad on January 29, 2009 at 9:23 PM

The sad thing is small businesses and small town America are dissapering from our great landscape. We’re being regulated out of business. And our children will be the ones to pay. Hell in the small town I live in I can still pump my gas without paying first. Thats America!

Alex Martinez on January 29, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Where in Ca.? There are lots of small rural towns like that in the central valley and more up north and in the mountains.

goat on January 29, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Northeastern part of the state on 395.

Also to everyone else, If the “Big One” were to occur and Los Angeles and San Francisco would drop into the ocean, we would be a conservative state. The term “Rich Republican” does not apply any longer. The liberals live in the high price real estate along the coast and the conservatives live inland. I keep praying for the “Big One”

gstrickler on January 29, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 9:09 PM

No problem Noneya, the sins of mankind have already been shed. Even your boarderline blasphemy is forgiven. Does your condemnation of Christain faith some how give you an euphoric lift or did some Southern Babtist shove it in your face too hard when you were a child? The Word of God does not produce the contempt your projecting, and it’s hardly a “fairy tale”. What you fail to understand is that a Christain can love you, and still hate what you just said.

Rovin on January 29, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Tomorrow I will call Maldonado. I have many things to discuss with him. This is not right. I cannot wait to get our home done and sale it. Ca. here we go!

sheebe on January 29, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Ed, your number is too low by a bit, and hence does California’s effort to clean our environment a great disservice. It’s off by 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000262704565030146425495 (repeating), more or less.

And I’ve determined how best to help the economy. Rather than upgrading my pesky European-produced Ubuntu, I’m going over to Fry’s right now and buy a few Windows Vista licenses, just so’s I can truly buy American — or at least American H-2B. An advantage is that I’ll no longer be a snarky Linux showoff in the calculator arena, and another advantage is that I’ll help Mr. Gates toward his vision of a better America.

unclesmrgol on January 29, 2009 at 9:33 PM

As a California resident, all I have to say is “F@ck California!”

monotonousboy on January 29, 2009 at 6:44 PM
why do conservatives hate America? love it or leave it, pal!

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Conservatives love America. Why do you think California is part of America? I lived there for 35 years. It is really culturally not part of America anymore. It is more of a Foreign Economic Zone.

And what he said doesn’t mean he hates California. He just hates how they regularly self-immolate themselves like the idiots they are there.

Also, did you get any help for the other issue I mentioned a couple weeks ago? Don’t go it alone on that one. That’s a big one to carry around.

Sapwolf on January 29, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Rovin on January 29, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Thanks Rovin. Noneya is an opportunity for us Christians on HotAir to reach out. I’m not kidding either. She’s got some pain. Sometimes when people say such things, it’s not anger but pain.

Sapwolf on January 29, 2009 at 9:38 PM

JiangxiDad on January 29, 2009 at 9:13 PM

I think yer batting about .500 here.

She also hates black people that don’t toe the line on the whole ‘You can’t succeed without the Democrat Party’ canard. Really drives her nuts that a black person could be part of the party of ‘White Heterosexuals’…

We got a real winner here….

BigWyo on January 29, 2009 at 9:44 PM

JiangxiDad on January 29, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Ummm thanks?

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 9:46 PM

borderline? damn what do I have to say to get the full blasphemer label?

Rovin on January 29, 2009 at 9:28 PM

not southern baptist, it was the catholic church, the church that caused my family to reject me.

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 9:52 PM

You sure it wasn’t just that old ‘common sense’ thing???

BigWyo on January 29, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 9:52 PM

With all due respect,it was pretty obvious. I’m very sorry you have had so much unhappiness and a difficult road. I can’t defend your church or parents, but I’m pretty sure you can find a relationship with God anyway if you’re still curious (and who isn’t :) He doesn’t turn anyone away. I hope you have lots of peace and joy going forward!

JiangxiDad on January 29, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Annnnndddd, why do I live here again? Oh yeah, for the floor show. I feel better now.

juanito on January 29, 2009 at 10:06 PM

JiangxiDad on January 29, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Amen

Rovin on January 29, 2009 at 10:08 PM

juanito on January 29, 2009 at 10:06 PM

LOL!…..if Ahhhhnold doesn’t get it together soon he’ll be Blagosta-terminated.

Rovin on January 29, 2009 at 10:13 PM

so you love america but hate the blue states? how very christian..

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Do you hook a feedbag to your chine to catch the little balls of $hit that roll out of your mouth, or do you leave a trail everywhere you go?

csdeven on January 29, 2009 at 10:29 PM

My personal rejection of liberal ideals stems from my hatred of lies and deceptions. For example, this asinine law that is going into effect. The cost at the individual pump is going to be $10,000 per unit.

If you assume that there are at least a million individual gas pumps in California, then you have a serious problem don’t you?

The $10,000,000,000 dollars seems a bit extreme to reduce a mere seven tons of naturally produces fumes. Especially when you consider that California is 163,696 sq mi according to Wikipedia. Seven tons spread out over that large an area is not only miniscule it’s not worth mentioning. When you really realize that for the cost of billions and billions of dollars, you will remove 1.5 ounces of naturally produced fumes per square mile, you have to wonder don’t you?

Especially when you consider the impact on the environment will be nil, zip, zero, nada, none.

More asinine regulations from left wing loonies who have no clue what they’re doing, but continue stamping out laws for the rest of us to suffer under.

By the way, that’s called Common Sense Conservativism.

Snake307 on January 29, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 9:52 PM

it was probably something YOU did to get your family to reject you. but since facing up to your own failings is something libs can never do, its always easier to blame someone else…just like its always easier to take someone else’s money to pay for your health care, housing, food, etc, rather than have to work for it yourself.

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 9:16 PM

why don’t you try using truth, logic, honesty, etc…but you can’t, because those things to liberals are like a cross to vampire!

right4life on January 29, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Bang-up job you’re doing there.

I think it’s more likely that your parents never gave you much attention, and so everyone else has to or your ego will collapse and you’ll end up ina gutter.

Good luck with that, by the way.

Merovign on January 29, 2009 at 10:57 PM

I’m originally from California but now I view it largely as a mission field. Californians are lost. Now they’re bankrupt and lost.

Dude!

Mojave Mark on January 29, 2009 at 10:57 PM

gstrickler on January 29, 2009 at 9:24 PM

I know 395 really well up to Carson City, north of Tahoe northeast Ca. is really thinly populated.

goat on January 29, 2009 at 11:05 PM

I will repeat, ignore the troll and it will go away for lack of attention. It does zero good to argue with them, they are too narrow minded.

goat on January 29, 2009 at 11:07 PM

so you love america but hate the blue states? how very christian..

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 8:17 PM

So you love the blue states and hate America? How very leftist.

spmat on January 29, 2009 at 11:08 PM

Snake307 on January 29, 2009 at 10:32 PM

I wonder how many fumes the volcanos Shasta and Lassen emit daily

goat on January 29, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Wait until MA gets on board…

Well, self-service pumps need to go.

reaganaut on January 29, 2009 at 8:30 PM

At first I laughed at your comment because it was humorous, but then I cried at your comment because you just gave the Democrats another idea that they will love.

Maxx on January 30, 2009 at 12:00 AM

This scam would cause all the gas stations in California to be under the control of fewer and fewer people until only a handful of people control the whole market.

apacalyps on January 30, 2009 at 12:53 AM

so you love america but hate the blue states? how very christian..

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Why do you hate Christians?

Johan Klaus on January 30, 2009 at 12:53 AM

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Then your muslim?

Johan Klaus on January 30, 2009 at 12:56 AM

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 8:27 PM

So with your hate of Christians, are you saying that they are not your countrymen?

Johan Klaus on January 30, 2009 at 12:59 AM

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 9:16 PM

So you just hate Christians?

Johan Klaus on January 30, 2009 at 1:01 AM

Then you are muslim?

Johan Klaus on January 30, 2009 at 12:56 AM
I can’t spell either.

Johan Klaus on January 30, 2009 at 2:27 AM

I lived in CA during my high school years. Didn’t realize what a festering chancre it was until I left. The climate, beaches and other amenities kind of suck you in and make you complacent. Most of the residents of CA wear sunglasses and they are rose colored. Still have family there but I’ll never go back. They can visit me in the frozen tundra of Indiana if they wish. But they might want to wait until May…maybe June at this rate.

SKYFOX on January 30, 2009 at 5:54 AM

I’m always hopeful every time I hear of another liberal policy screwing up private business. The people in California have the government they asked for. Let em suffer until they come to their collective senses and start electing conservatives.

Next up is the Democrat’s/Obama’s “stimulus” bill that will do absolutely noting to stimulate the economy. The bill is a pork laden travesty. By the time the liberals are through, we won’t recognize the country anymore.

God help my kids and grandkids.

orlandocajun on January 30, 2009 at 6:42 AM

I just can’t, for the life of me, understand why we, as Americans, put up with all this enviro-crap without voicing our opposition!!! When are Americans going to understand that this garbage is costing us BILLIONS of wasted dollars, infringes on Businesses rights to opperate withour repressive regulations and KILLS JOBS??? When are we going to stand up, get loud and fight back??? These enviro-wacks are headed to a neighborhood near you, SOON!!!

Alarmist??? Who me??? Nope, stating facts… I have written here many times before about the evil encroachments upon Americans rights and the over-reach of far left radical politicians… First you could not smoke in a PUBLIC building… Everyone said it would STOP there, ROFL! Next they went after smoking in BARS and RESTURANTS, they said it would STOP there… Then they went after TRANS-FAT in fried foods, AND BANNED THEM!!! People said they would STOP there… again nope! Then they went after SODA’S in schools and ADVERTISING of fast food, then smoking in YOUR PRIVATE CAR and now they want to ban SALT in New York City…

When are we going to say ENOUGH!!! ENOUGH already!!! If we continue to sit back and say it’s NOT affecting me so it’s no big deal, IT WILL BE SOON!!! These new restrictions are NOT helping anything, they are enviro-extreamists testing the water for more and more intrusions…

What are YOU going to do??? Roll over and take it in the ass again or fight back against this invasions of liberty?

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 7:25 AM

Gas Lines and $6 to $10 dollar gas coming to a City near you… The Messiah is “needing” gas prices to hit ALL TIME RECORDS again THIS YEAR so he can push his radical plans for “green” crap… Cali-fornication is just the FIRSAT step.

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 7:40 AM

I have one possible solution to CA’s troubles. Since they are headed there anyway, the whole southern tier could be turned into to a giant theme park with a title such as”Vist the Third World Without Leaving the Country” No passport required and many low cost travel packages offerred.

jeanie on January 30, 2009 at 8:31 AM

The primary purpose of govt is to protect the powerful.

MarkTheGreat on January 30, 2009 at 8:38 AM

I have been recently wondering why the big auto and oil companies don’t stop providing services to California, and any other state that passes laws which will cost untold amounts of money to achieve a questionable goal. It wouldn’t even have to be for a long period of time.

TugboatPhil on January 30, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Californians, a question. Do you get to vote(directly)on any of these changes or the cash to support them?

jeanie on January 30, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Who elected these clowns?

Bob's Kid on January 30, 2009 at 9:18 AM

TugboatPhil on January 30, 2009 at 8:51 AM

GREAT question… If I was ANY CEO of ANY company that did work or provided a service to CA. I would shut it down… It would take two maybe three days of ZERO gas and supplies before the REVOLT would occure….

Mark Garnett on January 30, 2009 at 9:24 AM

But, it’s for the children Gaia!

Vashta.Nerada on January 30, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 8:27 PM

I am highly amused by people, liberals usually, who, having no idea who Jesus is or what He did or said, couldnt find the book of Genesis or Revelation in the Bible, lecture others on those matters.
If it wasnt so serious, it would be laughable. On the other hand, just consider the source and ignore it.

abcurtis on January 30, 2009 at 9:36 AM

California SO SUCKS.

The people who sit around and DON’T Balance Budgets, who DON’T oppose illegal immigration, who PURCHASES VOTES with taxpayer money and then push the make-up for their fiscal irresponsibility onto the state worker’s backs by a mandatory 2 day a month unpaid furlough….. aren’t freaking gracious enough to impose on themselves the same hardship.

“The Assembly and Senate will not impose the mandatory furloughs required of most other state workers, but both legislative houses announced plans to cut spending Tuesday.”

Does this remind anyone of our Federal Government???

GOD, THESE PEOPLE SUCK and it’s no wonder they continually persue stricter gun laws.

Ernest on January 30, 2009 at 9:45 AM

It is time to put a fence up around California to keep them all in there. I know we certainly do not need anymore stupid Californians and other bleu staters moving here. They need to stay where they are and clean up the mess they have made out of their precious bleu states.

so you love america but hate the blue states? how very christian..Noneya on January 29, 2009 at 8:17 PM

I guess you did not get them memo from the reality-based communities central planning committee about how this particular line of attacks does not work. You

You and your ilk have amassed so much bad karma over the last 40 years and it is rapidly catching up to you. In the end your precious bleu states will be dead and you and your ilk will be pariahs and shunned by even your nearest and dearest.

Nahanni on January 30, 2009 at 11:27 AM

reaganaut on January 29, 2009 at 8:30 PM

I love your hypothetical story. It seems so governmentally possible.

BTW-We are being ‘educated’ to death about every stupid little thing.
As a public school teacher I get ‘educated’ on BS all the time.
Powerpoint presentations about bullying, about sexual harassment, blah blah blah.
And you can even get graduate credit for it!
Frigging nonsense.

Badger40 on January 30, 2009 at 11:41 AM

California legislators aren’t going to be happy until their constituents are living in grass huts or caves. Good luck with the population moving to other states with laws that actually make sense.

TrickyDick on January 30, 2009 at 2:00 PM