The obligatory “drum major suspended for saluting Obama” post

posted at 5:32 pm on January 28, 2009 by Allahpundit

A story tailor-made for angry, pointless Internet debate. Why, I haven’t felt this strongly about something this dumb since that 100-0 girls’ basketball game!

First the suspension:

The band’s leader calls it a violation of the rules, captured by CNN. Coleman has been suspended as drum major for six months.

“We had gone over and over time and again with everyone in the band that this was a military parade. Protocol and proper decorum had to be followed at all times,” said bandleader Pipe Major Mike Engle. “Unfortunately, John chose to ignore that.”

And now the inevitable comically overwrought denouement:

“There are too many bridges burned with the pipe band, too many hurt feelings on both sides,” said Coleman, 53, fire inspector for Cleveland Heights and a 17-year veteran of the band…

“There are some of the members of the band who wouldn’t want me back,” said Coleman, who as the drum major was the face of the organization and was often interviewed by the media.

“I figure it’s best for the band if I leave,” he said.

The inaugural parade is a “military parade”? And since when are firefighters bound by military rules? One-week suspension, tops. Exit question: They’re just jealous that he became a media darling for the wave, right?

Comments

Typical white person.

lorien1973 on January 28, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Rules is rules.

stonemeister on January 28, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I knew about this and knew they were from Ohio, but I didn’t realize it was Cleveland Heights. Since they are from the liberal mafia area of the state, I’m quite surprised he got punished at all.

MobileVideoEngineer on January 28, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Didn’t watch, don’t care.

madmonkphotog on January 28, 2009 at 5:35 PM

I’m outraged. At that hat.

Bishop on January 28, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Just when you thought people couldn’t get any pettier.

Although I have heard that high school band camps are pretty cutthroat.

Yeah, I’m not sure what (2) has to do with (1) but that’s my total knowledge about marching bands.

SteveMG on January 28, 2009 at 5:36 PM

People cared enough about this to suspend a guy over it? Moronic waste of everyone’s time.

TheUnrepentantGeek on January 28, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Rules is rules.

stonemeister on January 28, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I stand corrected. Rules is rules.

Strike my previous comment.

Thanks for reminding me of decorum, stonemeister.

madmonkphotog on January 28, 2009 at 5:37 PM

setting the stage… the outrage over this will ensure that some loony boon in DC will decide to legislate that proper respect be given to our Savior, the Mighty ObaMessia

gatorboy on January 28, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Why is it that people feel the urge to b!tch and moan like crazy when they don’t follow their own damn rules???

Defector01 on January 28, 2009 at 5:39 PM

This is a joke, right? Surely all involved are not that lacking in a sense of humor!

Noelie on January 28, 2009 at 5:41 PM

But did The One wave back?

Cindy Munford on January 28, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Okay, whoever keeps harping on the word “military” while trying to justify the suspension is a moron. Plain old marching band protocol requires that you do not break discipline, or, for lack of a better word, break character. A frickin’ high school drum major who did that should have been reprimanded.

Six months seems a bit much. And of course, it’s the Evil Anti-Obamas who “don’t want him back.” Media darling.

Anwyn on January 28, 2009 at 5:41 PM

And yes, I was the drum major, and yes, I was a flute player. Suck it, Alyson Hannigan.

Anwyn on January 28, 2009 at 5:41 PM

“There are some of the members of the band who wouldn’t want me back,”

That’s probably right…because not everyone voted for The One. lol

IrishEi on January 28, 2009 at 5:41 PM

“I figure it’s best for the band if I leave,” he said.

Now……..

…….. if we can only get Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Barney Frank, and Chris Dodd to follow his lead, maybe we will be on to something.

Seven Percent Solution on January 28, 2009 at 5:42 PM

who is this sissy rep John Mica R FL 7th District? SPINELESS… Shameless butt kisser…

gatorboy on January 28, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Just when you thought people couldn’t get any pettier.

Although I have heard that high school band camps are pretty cutthroat.

SteveMG on January 28, 2009 at 5:36 PM

As someone who was in an Ohio award winning high school marching band, I can attest to the fact that marching band is a big deal in Ohio. While Ohio high school football is among some of the best in the country, the same is true with Ohio marching bands and just as many people go to watch marching band competitions as they do for football games.

MobileVideoEngineer on January 28, 2009 at 5:42 PM

“This one time at bandcamp…”

BadMojo on January 28, 2009 at 5:43 PM

My goodness, he looks like the character “Fat bastard” from Austin Powers. “Get in me belly”

portlandon on January 28, 2009 at 5:43 PM

snoring!

jdsmith0021 on January 28, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Meh.

OT:

-Jacob, son of Isaac, I have come to carry you into the underworld. Do not resist my icy grip.
-Oh Dear Lord I’m not ready to—wow, what a pretty horse!
-Focus thine eyes not on my steed, mortal, but upon the sickle that brings death to all it strikes.
-…
-…
-Can I give him a carrot?
-You may give him one carrot.

Ugly on January 28, 2009 at 5:46 PM

zzzzzzzz

manwithblackhat on January 28, 2009 at 5:47 PM

If the rules said that he couldn’t do that and stay the drum major, and he did what he wasn’t allowed to, then he should’ve been suspended. Regardless of who he was breaking the rules to acknowledge, he was still breaking out the established rules.

That’s not to say the 6 months was fitting as punishment.

amerpundit on January 28, 2009 at 5:47 PM

wow, too bad The One can’t just pardon him already. Or who knows, maybe he’ll get to be a media correspondent in Algeria!

kirkill on January 28, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Typical white person.

lorien1973 on January 28, 2009 at 5:34 PM

What is the word for the racial equivalent of “pussy-whipped”?

pseudonominus on January 28, 2009 at 5:49 PM

OK, I know we aren’t allowed to ask hard questions of Boo Boo, especially in front of a microphone. But now we can’t wave either?

Someone should publish a list of Boo Boo do’s and dont’s stat!

Hog Wild on January 28, 2009 at 5:50 PM

It would’ve been funnier, and more apropos, if he’d put his thumb and pinky up to his face in the “Call me” gesture.

Jim Treacher on January 28, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Yes, band camps, drum majors.

HotAir once again on the cutting edge of societal evolution.

What next? A knitting club controversy?

It is sometimes amazing how civilization doesn’t just fly off into total chaos and anarchy.

SteveMG on January 28, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Remove his balls with a plastic fork. Or something.

james hooker on January 28, 2009 at 5:53 PM

HotAir once again on the cutting edge of societal evolution.

Lighten up.

Allahpundit on January 28, 2009 at 5:54 PM

So he broke the rules, the guy still has a job waiting for him in the Ogabe administration.

Bishop on January 28, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Lighten up

I joke, I joke.

SteveMG on January 28, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Geez. It’s not a Marine Marching Band. I think they’re being a little too harsh on the guy.

SoulGlo on January 28, 2009 at 5:55 PM

SteveMG on January 28, 2009 at 5:53 PM

That will come soon enough, President Obortion still has 92 days left to work his initial magic.

For now, take a break from our impending collapse and enjoy some lighthearted fun.

Bishop on January 28, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Lighten up.

Allahpundit on January 28, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Damn right Allah, we need all the laughs we can get, seeing as this Democrat fund raising check uh i mean stimulus is gonna be passed.

MDWNJ on January 28, 2009 at 5:56 PM

take a break from our impending collapse and enjoy some lighthearted fun.

I am; this is a funny story.

That’s why I mentioned the “cutthroat band camps”.

SteveMG on January 28, 2009 at 5:58 PM

the cutting edge of societal evolution.

That’s the Limbaugh line he gives right before he reads some bizarre story.

SteveMG on January 28, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Each time I look at the image I want to fasten my seatbelt.

ericdijon on January 28, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Reprimand a band drummer for saluting?

Monty Python – “Good thing I didn’t show him the fork!”

Coronagold on January 28, 2009 at 6:04 PM

And I thought he was waving at the really cute girl on the sidelines.

They should break his baton and cast him into outer darkness!

profitsbeard on January 28, 2009 at 6:05 PM

RACIST!

christene on January 28, 2009 at 6:05 PM

He should have just winked.

crosspatch on January 28, 2009 at 6:07 PM

The wave was bad. If he’d saluted, that would have been excellent.

unclesmrgol on January 28, 2009 at 6:08 PM

Yes rules are rules… but please…. our country is going to H*** in a handbasket and this guy gets this kind of negative attention? Was it a slow news day?

To play devils advocate however: in this gentleman’s statement he stated that the president waved and he was acknowledging him. ok. Let’s suppose that some one of the media darlings saw HE who is the ONE wave to the band and there was no reciprocal acknowledgment – how quickly would the negative attention become “he’s a racist” and the gasps of millions that “this person” dared to ignore HE who leads us. just a thought.

ladyhawke53 on January 28, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Cleveland Heights, my old hometown. Who knew they were so politically correct? If it had been me, I would have made a hand gesture that wasn’t a wave. Now that would be reason for suspension. Just returning the Obama salute that he gave to Hillary and John McCain. Fair is fair.

BetseyRoss on January 28, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Remove his balls with a plastic fork. Or something.

james hooker on January 28, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Is it wrong that I laughed at this? :)

Conservative_SAHM on January 28, 2009 at 6:13 PM

You have to be kidding.

SC.Charlie on January 28, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Hey, that’s Fat Bastard trying to steal the Presidential mojo, baby…yeaaaah. Good thing they put a stop to him.

Wyznowski on January 28, 2009 at 6:34 PM

What there are is too many princesses who can feel a pea under forty mattresses.

Cheshire Cat on January 28, 2009 at 6:48 PM

I’m outraged. At that hat.

Bishop on January 28, 2009 at 5:35 PM

I’m outraged they didn’t show his pants.

fogw on January 28, 2009 at 6:48 PM

The bagpipe player always maintains decorum.

Even if it’s Spock’s freekin funeral and out of all the people you’ve ever known he was the most . . . (hmph) . . . human, YOU MAINTAIN DECORUM and play that moverfuguein bagpipe like you’ve never played it before in your life!

HarneyPeak on January 28, 2009 at 6:59 PM

I’m outraged. At that hat.

Bishop on January 28, 2009 at 5:35 PM

He’s got nuttin’ on Aretha!

JetBoy on January 28, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Isn’t it unfair to chastise this man for simply doing what he has been compelled to do? No mere man can gaze in the direction of the One without feeling complete love.

Sometimes that love comes out in the form of a slight wave, sometimes people faint and Obama has to bring them some bottled water.

It is Right to Give Him Thanks and Praise.

Dorvillian on January 28, 2009 at 7:02 PM

I joke, I joke.

SteveMG on January 28, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Wow, you are a man…

BigWyo on January 28, 2009 at 7:05 PM

This isn’t a story, this is something teenage girls write in their journals at night IMO. And I said. like I’m sorry. I can’t help it if I am like SO popular but if it will keep the peace, well I will just leave….pulease.

Dr Evil on January 28, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Wow, you are a man…

I’m always willing to go a few rounds with clowns.

Brings a smile to my face.

SteveMG on January 28, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Obama did wave first…I guess protocol demands you lead the band but act like an unceremonious douche in the process? Odd rules. I say stupid rules are made to be broken.

TheBlueSite on January 28, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Once Aretha sees that hat she’ll be all over it…

Scotsman on January 28, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Coleman’s voice has an uncanny resemblance to that of AZ’s Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

jgapinoy on January 28, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Allahpundit is a libertarian.He refuses to follow rules.

Blake on January 28, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Cleveland Heights, THE SPHINCHTER OF OHIO!

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on January 28, 2009 at 7:59 PM

What military would that tubby guy be part of? The Biggest Loser Legionaires?

Seriously, military protocol doesn’t apply for those who aren’t actually in the military and, for the record, every one of the real military units that passed did have somebody salute the filthy bastard who now resides in the White House. The non-band military units even did the whole “eyes right” thing to honor the traitor that is now Commander-in-Chief. None of that applies to this tubby drum major.

highhopes on January 28, 2009 at 8:02 PM

This is a guy who should not, under any circumstances, be wearing a chin strap. Let’s let it go at that.

Infidoll on January 28, 2009 at 8:15 PM

SteveMG on January 28, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Sure you do…until the moderator of the board addresses your dumb ass by name..and then you pee all over yourself backpedaling…

Nice effort….

BigWyo on January 28, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Royalty demands the pomp that goes with the coronation….

DL13 on January 28, 2009 at 8:24 PM

‘Suck-Up’!

canopfor on January 28, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Nice effort….

Yes, band camps, drum majors

I was the one who first jokingly mentioned band camps.

Of course I took the whole post lightheartedly.

Want to go contine this boy?

SteveMG on January 28, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Why is this business about nodding/saluting the president so over the top? I thought it was the custom to “present arms” when passing the viewing stand, specifically to honor the POTUS. These people need a bigger problem.

smellthecoffee on January 28, 2009 at 8:42 PM

highhopes on January 28, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Uh, yeah–like he said. Note to self: read thread before commenting.

smellthecoffee on January 28, 2009 at 8:44 PM

SteveMG on January 28, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Continue what bonehead??? You posted one of your typical douche bag posts, Allah chastised you for it, and not even a minute later, you crapped all over yourself with the ‘joking’ thing.

Yesterday, you called for some doorknob that made a tasteless post to be banned..he was…and then you spent the entire day defending the banning and patting yourself on the back for making it happen.

I hope Allah doesn’t tell you to cram a banana up your old tan tail pipe..wait…that would be funny as hell.

Yer a butt smootching, simpering Toilet Bug.

BigWyo on January 28, 2009 at 8:57 PM

So when there’s a parade, and you decide to give the head of state (or the parade’s guest of honour) the finger, that’d be okay too? No, the rules are there to maintain decorum for a reason.

andycanuck on January 28, 2009 at 9:00 PM

That’s what you get for supporting Obama!

ToddonCapeCod on January 28, 2009 at 9:10 PM

No, I suspect that they have decided he’s an asshole.

Jaibones on January 28, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Hmmmm…must be back reliving that ‘I am a Man!!’ post…

BigWyo on January 28, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Well, look at the practicality of the gesture:
Had he done what the MSM is doing, has done and castigates the rest of us for NOT doing (genuflecting and/or falling prostrate before his Obamaness while his incalculable praises), well, the whole parade would have come to an inglorious accordion collapse stop.
So, he was just emulating the object of his affection in a “I was thinking of others” display.
So, there!

Amendment X on January 28, 2009 at 9:43 PM

“while singing his incalculable praises”. Sorry.

Amendment X on January 28, 2009 at 9:44 PM

I guess I should post something on the topic….

What can you expect??? He was in the presence of The ONE!!

On the other hand, I can say…Go be a Fat Band Camp Emo Boy somewhere else…

BigWyo on January 28, 2009 at 10:07 PM

BetseyRoss on January 28, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Before I viewed the video, I thought maybe that was the kind of salute he gave. Boy, was I disappointed!

IrishEyes on January 28, 2009 at 10:30 PM

BetseyRoss, IrishEyes. That’s what I was waiting for too.

Dude should retire, he’s far outgrown his chin strap!

rmel80 on January 28, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Reprimanding a guy in a plaid skirt?

Man that is low.!

Wander on January 28, 2009 at 11:29 PM

While I may not be an Obama supporter he is our and my President and I see nothing wrong with saluting him.

lavell12 on January 29, 2009 at 5:12 AM

You have to be part of the American pipeband scene to really understand how insane people can be over something this petty. Of course, focusing on the music takes a back seat to this nonsense.

Cleveland FF pipe band is a great bunch of people, so this has to run deeper in the band than just a wave.

Hening on January 29, 2009 at 7:48 AM

highhopes on January 28, 2009 at 8:02 PM

That was very well said. Many of these bands make it up as they go along.

Hening on January 29, 2009 at 7:53 AM

This guy is a firefighter. Looks like he couldn’t climb 3 flights of steps

Bevan on January 29, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Pipers disdain drummers. Any excuse to dump one is grabbed.

BL@KBIRD on January 29, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Maybe if he gave the proper Oooobaaaamaaaa salute there would not have been any issues.

TexAz on January 29, 2009 at 11:41 AM

He wasn’t suspended because he saluted Obama!

He was suspended because he’s a spy in the Ministry of Defence. -And now he has Obama’s mojo.

Opinionnation on January 29, 2009 at 2:39 PM

How dare he show a military salute to any liberal

doesnt he know that
liberals HATE All the us military??

If you dont believe be
check out the seige at berkley..
I was shocked not by the liberals

but how our wonderful marines
Behaved in front of this SEA of Liberal ILK..

jcila on January 29, 2009 at 3:26 PM