Video: The inevitable “I Pledge” parody

posted at 3:20 pm on January 26, 2009 by Allahpundit

From Buzzkill Comedy. The one-liners are hit and miss, but who cares? This is one of those gags that starts off 90 percent of the way towards funny simply because the pretension and self-importance of the source material is so overweening. See, e.g., the Aleksey Vayner video resume.

Keep your eye on the kid in the burgundy golf shirt; he seems to have caught the spirit of the original better than the rest. It says a lot that, for all the absurdity here, they still couldn’t cook up a line as surreally servile as Demi Moore pledging to be a handmaiden to The One.

Comments

Did comments go down? 6 minutes and no comments yet?

Michael in MI on January 26, 2009 at 3:26 PM

I agree. He was pretty good. I’ll have to watch it again to catch the few I thought were laugh out loud worthy, but I liked the “I pledge to support only green super heroes… like the Hulk.”

Some of them were funny, but not delivered well, some were not all that funny, but were delivered in such a way that made them a little more chuckle-worthy. All in all, pretty decent.

Michael in MI on January 26, 2009 at 3:28 PM

I pledge to eat more fiber so that I will spend less time on the, uh, magazine portal.

savvydude on January 26, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Some of that was good, production values kill it.

SpencerFan on January 26, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Thank you for sharing this one, AP. Bile has been burning my esophagus since the original “I Pledge” video. This helped push it back down a little.

My husband will get a kick out of the “I pledge to let a woman choose … whether to make me breakfast or lunch” line. He loves to pretend to be a chauvinist to get a rise out of other women (doesn’t work with me because I know who’s really in charge).

aero on January 26, 2009 at 3:30 PM

I pledge to get into more accidents with my SUV, deliberately hitting poor people with small cars, in order to get more drivers off the road, thus reducing evil America’s carbon footprint and use of foreign oil.

Michael in MI on January 26, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Did comments go down? 6 minutes and no comments yet?

Michael in MI on January 26, 2009 at 3:26 PM

No, we might all be too busy shaking our heads at funny this would have been if the original hadn’t been so scary.

Allah was right about the kid. He seemed to get it better than the rest, and he cracked me up.

Laura in Maryland on January 26, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Nice.

CP on January 26, 2009 at 3:31 PM

While it could have been done better, this kind of stuff is awesome. We’ve got to cram the idiocy back down the throats of Hollywood morons.

starman on January 26, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Haha! That’s awesome. “I plan to reduce my carbon footprint… by wearing smaller, tighter shoes.”

hockey2k5 on January 26, 2009 at 3:32 PM

The best delivery was:

“I pledge to leave no child behind… unless that child is slow.”

Tom_Shipley on January 26, 2009 at 3:36 PM

I pledge that I will only drive green vehicles… like my forest colored Suburban and my acid green H2.

BKennedy on January 26, 2009 at 3:36 PM

“…to do more of these videos to show how humble and progressive I am.”

Awesome.

Spirit of 1776 on January 26, 2009 at 3:36 PM

“I pledge to reduce poverty by listening to more U2.”
“Show immigrants how to throw a football.”
Awesome!
Very funny video.

jencab on January 26, 2009 at 3:37 PM

I’m no fan of the Obamas. But I can’t believe this crap doesn’t make them both cringe.

Blake on January 26, 2009 at 3:39 PM

“I pledge to drive a hybrid, if both my Hummer and my Porsche are in the shop.”

backwoods conservative on January 26, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Here’s one for every blogger and e-entrepreneur:

I pledge to move my revenue streams offshore so the money-grubbers in Congress can only tax what I consume in the US.

ElRonaldo on January 26, 2009 at 3:41 PM

I pledge to reduce the carbon footprint of cattle by eating more beef. If it stops just one cow fart, I will willingly throw myself on a t-bone.

rbj on January 26, 2009 at 3:42 PM

I thought that was great. The Purple shirt kid was great! Got to go to work. Thanks for the laugh!

sheebe on January 26, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Some of that was good, production values kill it.

SpencerFan on January 26, 2009 at 3:30 PM

It does look pretty bad in comparison to the original, which probably cost more than I make in a year to produce. Could’ve fed a few dozen starving children for a year for the amount they spent to make their retarded video, I’d wager. But nobody pledged to feed starving kids instead of making idiotic self-congratulatory pap, so the starving kids are out of luck I guess.

aero on January 26, 2009 at 3:44 PM

I pledge…

To fill the world with laughter….

By mocking a liberal every time they say something pretentious and stupid.

Well, maybe not EVERY time. I have a job and a family. But every chance I get.

Lily on January 26, 2009 at 3:46 PM

I pledge to never again watch a dopey video of stupid celebrities trying to make themselves feel better about themselves by lecturing everyone else.

Topsecretk9 on January 26, 2009 at 3:47 PM

That kid makes me so proud. : )

I pledge to let my kids watch more videos of “progressives,” to bring more humor and joy into our lives. If you can’t laugh at a dumb celebrity, who can you laugh at?

Anna on January 26, 2009 at 3:47 PM

The Hollywood Pledges that should have been:

I pledge to reuse my botox syringe.

I pledge use only saline breast implants & recycle the bags for replacements.

I pledge to dye my hair using only natural products like beet juice.

bloggless on January 26, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Somebody needs to get in touch with Rush. He needs to run for something…..anything…….somebody has to help us!

bloggless on January 26, 2009 at 3:58 PM

I thought that was great. I’m still laughing at some of those lines.

jennifernaz on January 26, 2009 at 4:01 PM

I pledge to be less tough and ruthless, and be more rough and toothless.

rollthedice on January 26, 2009 at 4:07 PM

I pledge to reduce the carbon footprint of the military by killing more insurgents with my doorgunners M240s and not just have the Apaches just shoot a Hellfire every time.

I pledge!

hawkdriver on January 26, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Demi Moore agreed to be Obama’s hand madien? I thought that was I thought that was the blond chick with big…uh…ideas! What’s her name again, oh yeah Harlot Johannsen.

Lucky Dog that Obama. Nice to have Demi and Scarlett on the side in case things with Michelle get strained.

Mr. Joe on January 26, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Demi Moore is one of those actresses that is so enjoyable yet she continues to throw up obstacles. Hand maiden, indeed. What does that even refer too? Like Clinton?

Hening on January 26, 2009 at 4:11 PM

The african american pen and woman’s right to chose lines made me laugh out loud.

The Ugly American on January 26, 2009 at 4:14 PM

“I hear it is not cheating if it only involves a helping hand. Every encounter with Demi or Scarlett should have a happy ending!”

President Bill Clinton

“I used to think that about other things too but my wife, the Courts, and the Arkansas Bar Association disagreed with my learned interpretation. That’s politics for you!”

President Bill Clinton

Mr. Joe on January 26, 2009 at 4:23 PM

I pledge to have fit about anyone who makes a caricature of The One.

Or as some artists said, you can’t caricature him since he is too handsome. Sickening.

Apparently, they can’t see the ridiculous tilt of the head, the purple lips or the ears. (with kudos to Coulter for some observations)

IlikedAUH2O on January 26, 2009 at 4:24 PM

“Because if the job does not include fringe benefits, what is really the point in being President. And the nice part is once out of office, it only gets better!”

President Bill Clinton

Mr. Joe on January 26, 2009 at 4:25 PM

I pledge to reduce my carbon footprint
by turning in my prius for a used
US Army
2 1/2 ton Truck
So i can efficiently haul up enough ammunition
to defend my family from islamic terrorists
when obama and pelozi fail to fulfill their duties
to protect this great nation

I pledge to explain the islamic nazis how the 2nd ammendment works by showing them the business end of a 12 guage

I pledge to ensure my childs safety from islamic terrorism by teaching him to hit a moving taget at 100 yards with iron sights

O man i could go on for hours..

jcila on January 26, 2009 at 4:27 PM

We’ve got to cram the idiocy back down the throats of Hollywood morons.

starman on January 26, 2009 at 3:32 PM

I agree 100%. I did laugh at the original harder, though. And passed it to liberal friends who to my amusement gave Ashton Kutcher a “bitch, please!”.

Marcus on January 26, 2009 at 4:34 PM

I just watched the original. Do these people realize that they have offered nothing? How about one tour of duty in the military to actually make a difference? Or if they are too old, how about donating their time and talent to a church?

Self centered poofs that think that if they smile more the world will be better off. Unreal.

These are also some of the extreme debasing ilk that bashed this country over the last eight years. All their smiles and muscle kissing will never get back what this country lost by their insulting the last President, and the nation at war.

Hening on January 26, 2009 at 4:35 PM

That was awesome. We conservatives need to do a lot more of that to show the liberals just how ridiculous they truly are!!

Callie C. on January 26, 2009 at 4:36 PM

“To not think of this pen as black, but as African American.”

LMAO.

nickj116 on January 26, 2009 at 4:38 PM

I pledge to ask self important, vacuous progressives why they didn’t pledge to do all this crap 10 years ago, regardless of who’s running the country. Like Bush’s occupancy of the White House somehow made “helping the children” impossible.

Matticus Finch on January 26, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Blake on January 26, 2009 at 3:39 PM

It may make you or me (and many rational, humble people)cringe, but I believe Obama loves it that half the country is lining up to kiss his rear end.

UltimateBob on January 26, 2009 at 4:51 PM

jcila on January 26, 2009 at 4:27 PM

If you use a high powered rifle like a 30-06 instead of a 12 ga, you don’t have to get so close to them. It’ll save you the trouble of having to deal with their stench. Plus it’s a whole lot more fun.

UltimateBob on January 26, 2009 at 4:55 PM

I pledge to support the economy by exercising my rights to keep and bear arms and purchasing enough bullets , bandaids and bread to help the economy

I pledge if i EVER even GET the money from the stimulus payment in 2008 i will actually use it to buy something..

somehow i think my stimulus payment was side tracked by pelozi who sent it over to hamass so they could buy more condoms..

I pledge to buy a can of pledge which i will use to pledge my floor with pledge (oh help me i cant stop)…

this is too good im crying here..

jcila on January 26, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Laugh out loud funny. The guy in the maroon shirt was good … but the Orlando Bloom lookalike with the white-boy dreads was pretty funny, too.

Liberal comics and cartoonists who claim not to find enough material in the current crop in power are missing a vast, untapped gold mine of pure comedy. Hell, not only does this stuff write itself – but the libs already wrote it. Just cut and paste.

Awesome.

Professor Blather on January 26, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Hening on January 26, 2009 at 4:35 PM

As hard as it is to believe now, just a couple generations ago – the Hollywood bigwigs would have actually done just that.

It’s literally hard to find a male celebrity from the 30s-40s between the ages of 18-40 who didn’t actively serve during WWII (and in some cases, Korea.) These were the A-listers, too. The Brad Pitts and George Clooneys of the era, all putting on uniform – willingly – and going into harm’s way.

Things have, uh, changed a little.

Professor Blather on January 26, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Great fun. Ridiculing nitwit Hollyweird libs is a green activity.

Jaibones on January 26, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I pledge to contiune to ignore these stupid, sactimonious windbag Hollyweirdos.

Special K on January 26, 2009 at 5:42 PM

I pledge not to pledge.

Hog Wild on January 26, 2009 at 5:51 PM

I pledge…at least for one hour every day…to stand in front of a mirror…and practice my pledge…so if I ever become famous…I can do more pledges.

MoCoM on January 26, 2009 at 6:38 PM

I just did my taxes and I owe $5400.00. Therefore, I pledge not to pay my taxes so I can become treasurey secretary.

boomer on January 26, 2009 at 7:10 PM

I pledge!

hawkdriver on January 26, 2009 at 4:08 PM

+ eleventy billion

Anna on January 26, 2009 at 7:43 PM

+ eleventy billion

Anna on January 26, 2009 at 7:43 PM

lol You sound like Bilbo Baggins Anna. :-)

hawkdriver on January 26, 2009 at 7:57 PM

As usual, liberals talk about helping and conservatives actually do it…. the hypocracy is unbeleivable.

momof2 on January 26, 2009 at 8:02 PM

UltimateBob on January 26, 2009 at 4:51 PM

I think there might be a little hope. I heard a man who called into our local talk radio program that comes on before Boortz who described himself as a Conservative black man who is developing a rapid of buyers remorse. He said he voted for Obama but the stimulus package and his scandal burdened cabinet nominees made him question, “What he was thinking.”

hawkdriver on January 26, 2009 at 8:03 PM

I pledge to ask the Tax cheat in charge if
i can forget to pay my taxes for the next 3 years..

I pledge to combat Global cooling by Turning on every appliance in the house and then sending the bill to AL GORE.

I pledge to throw up each time i see obama plege anything

I pledge to see if there is anyway possible to stop pelozi from blinking like a ding bat..

I pledge to run for some office with the pledge of
I will stop pledging..

Ohh this is just too good..

to all the celebrity Morons in hollywood
that all you celebrities are actually

Treasonist Dumb ass stupid lying cheating stealing hoplessly idiotic brats..
and those are your good points

jcila on January 26, 2009 at 8:21 PM

That was funny.

Funny thing is, if hadn’t been so frightening (I pledge to be Barack Obama’s servant — say what!?), the original would have been something incredibly funny. Not even SNL could have come up with something so absolutely ridiculous.

AZfederalist on January 26, 2009 at 9:28 PM

I pledge to save the economy by have more gay sex. (Thanks, Nancy!)

SouthernGent on January 26, 2009 at 9:48 PM

rbj on January 26, 2009 at 3:42 PM

I pleadge to do you one better and eat more veal to cut down on the timeframe for methane production.

cobrakai99 on January 26, 2009 at 11:18 PM

pleadge = pledge…. I am going to bed. I am leaving letters out of other posts and re-planting them here. ahhhhg.

cobrakai99 on January 26, 2009 at 11:20 PM

“I pledge to stop Bowser from kidnapping the Princess again.”

That made me laugh.