Susan Collins: I can’t vote for a tax cheat for Treasury secretary; Update: Geithner confirmed, 60-34; Update: Ten Republicans vote yes

posted at 5:15 pm on January 26, 2009 by Allahpundit

Co-starring Andrea Mitchell, playing devil’s advocate for Obama the way any objective journalist would. The floor vote’s scheduled for 6 p.m. ET; Geithner will, of course, sail through, but watching one of the Senate’s foremost RINOs make the case against him here leaves me intrigued about the final tally. I’m betting 70/30, with Orrin Hatch’s case of Geithner fever infecting roughly 10 Republicans. Anyone want to take the under?

In fairness, he partly redeemed himself with this:

Hatch closed by saying that there is a double standard for nominations, and Geithner is benefiting from it. If a Republican nominee had Geithner’s tax record, Hatch said, he or she would have been attacked by Democrats and the media, and “the president would have had no choice other than to withdraw the nomination.” “A Republican nominee in Mr. Geithner’s position would not have even gotten a committee vote,” Hatch said.

The boss thinks this should be an obvious party-line no vote, and after some rumination, I agree. We have to pick our spots in opposing The One at this point, partly because he’s so popular at the moment and partly because we don’t want the force of a no vote diminished by opposing everything and coming off as mindless obstructionists. But Obama’s other appointees have all been rubber-stamped; only Holder will catch static, and with good reason. If you can’t draw the line on a tax cheat at Treasury, where can you draw it? Thumbs down.

Update: If you took the under, you win! A closer vote than expected. Stand by for the roll, to see how many Republicans besides Hatch defected.

Update: I was spot on: 10 Republicans voted yes.

Corker
Cornyn
Crapo
Ensign
Graham
Gregg
Hatch
Shelby
Snowe
Voinovich

Byrd and Harkin voted no among the Democrats.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I wrote both my senators. And it isn’t just taxes. Ms. O’Grady of the WSJ says this guy has made a good business decision in fifteen years. Yes, please, let’s pick him.

Cindy Munford on January 26, 2009 at 5:17 PM

A woman with balls – guys go get a clue.

izoneguy on January 26, 2009 at 5:17 PM

That should be hasn’t mad a good decision. Sorry.

Cindy Munford on January 26, 2009 at 5:18 PM

I know you have a better sense of the electorate than me, AP, but I would love for the repubs to come off as high minded obstructionists to the Obama thugocracy.

VolMagic on January 26, 2009 at 5:18 PM

So, how many hundreds of billions is this guy going to have at his disposal again? Go get’em Susan!

Weight of Glory on January 26, 2009 at 5:18 PM

When did bipartisanship become synonymous with submission?

Kid from Brooklyn on January 26, 2009 at 5:18 PM

What will McCain do? That is the interesting question…

RedSoxNation on January 26, 2009 at 5:19 PM

There’s no other person qualified for the job? Puh-lease.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on January 26, 2009 at 5:20 PM

If there is ONE PERSON who we should oppose on principle, it has to be this guy. But of course, we won’t. The GOP is just as inept and corrupt and useless as the Dems.

jimmy the notable on January 26, 2009 at 5:20 PM

He’s never paid for 2001 and 2002. The statue of limitations is up. He’s still a tax cheat.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on January 26, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Just for comparison. John Ashcroft for AG: 55 Yea and 34 Nay.

MayBee on January 26, 2009 at 5:21 PM

If you have to make a case opposing the Messiah to the public, this is a pretty strong case. The guy is easily painted as a rich, entitled tax cheat and can be bashed just as easily as CEO’s with golden parachutes. As issues go, this is a winner and if you’re waiting for something better to come along, you’re gonna wait a looong time.

trubble on January 26, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Unexpected, bravo!

FireBlogger on January 26, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Did you get the feeling that Andrea Mitchell was trying to b!tchslap Collins back into line for Teh One?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on January 26, 2009 at 5:24 PM

This is a shocker! One of the top three RINOs is going against Obama? Maybe there’s hope for McCain, Snowe and Graham.

orlandocajun on January 26, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Good for Susan Collins. It’s a rare day indeed that I can say that. How nice to see her (and McCain) on the right side of the aisle for a change.

I’m feeling downright optimistic.

Buy Danish on January 26, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Bi-partisan goes both ways, shouldn’t the dems be thinking that there are other choices?
Is he the only one that can do this job? The only one?
I will believe bi-part, when an equal number of dems vote against as well as for someone or some bill.

right2bright on January 26, 2009 at 5:27 PM

For the first time in my adult life, I’m proud of my senator.

Slublog on January 26, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Susan Collins: I can’t vote for a tax cheat for Treasury secretary

Seems almost like that’d go without saying, doesn’t it?

I love hypocrisy. It tastes like chicken.

Professor Blather on January 26, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Since when did Collins develop a consicience?

highhopes on January 26, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Susan Collins: I can’t vote for a tax cheat for Treasury secretary

Perhaps hell hath frozen over – Susan Collins actually makes sense.

Branch Rickey on January 26, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Itll be 82-18

lorien1973 on January 26, 2009 at 5:31 PM

For the first time in my adult life, I’m proud of my senator.

Slublog on January 26, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Well done!

Buy Danish on January 26, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Co-starring Andrea Mitchell, playing devil’s advocate for Obama the way any objective obtuse journalist would.

Oh darn, there I ago again being redundant….

Branch Rickey on January 26, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Awesome. I wish she was on our side though.

LtE126 on January 26, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Geithner’s confirmation at Treasury will at least legitimize Steve Martin’s old proposed excuse for not paying your taxes: “I forgot.”

Cicero43 on January 26, 2009 at 5:33 PM

I will actively work against any GOP Senator that votes for this guy.

faraway on January 26, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Susan Collins: I can’t vote for a tax cheat for Treasury secretary

Even a broken clock is right twice daily.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on January 26, 2009 at 5:34 PM

orlandocajun on January 26, 2009 at 5:24 PM

She’s going against him on the easiest, least possibly controversial appointment to go up against him on. Its shameful. She’s simply trying to get a few pats on the back so that she can go on stabbing her own party in the back.

jimmy the notable on January 26, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Won’t that irritate Osama Obama!

Good on ya, Sen. Collins.

MrScribbler on January 26, 2009 at 5:35 PM

The GOP drew a line in the sand and as soon as the dems closed in, they promptly erased it.

Great, so when this fools machinations increase the damage to the economy, the libs and their media lick-spittles will point to the gobs of Repubs who went along for the ride.

Bishop on January 26, 2009 at 5:35 PM

78-22

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on January 26, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Well, to be fair, he did pay ’01 and ’02 after it came out during the vetting process. I know, I know. Big freakin’ deal. He is still a tax cheat.

IrishEi on January 26, 2009 at 5:36 PM

orlandocajun on January 26, 2009 at 5:24 PM

You sir, are an admirable optimist! :)

Branch Rickey on January 26, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Why pick our spots to vote “No?” The guy is a socialist. Oppose absolutely everything he suggests, and you’ll be right at least 75% of the time.

This is a “NO” brainer.

Wino on January 26, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Harkin is giving an anti-Geithner speech right now.

MayBee on January 26, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Of course this RINO had no problem voting to acquit the perjurer-in-chief, the great stainmaker.

I thank Ms Collins for having the courage to do the right thing now, too bad she couldn’t find her spine when it was really needed, ten years ago next month.

There is nothing she can do now that will redeem herself for that betrayal of justice.

Bob Mc on January 26, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Simply no acceptable

Amen sister.

And what exactly is Mitchell’s job description? Is it MSNBC hack or Presidential Lobbyist?

Hog Wild on January 26, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Credit where credit is due:

Thank you, Senator Collins. This is not a Democrat or Republican issue (or, at least, should not be).

I wonder how many hard-working, taxpaying Americans will, with Geithner at Treasury, find it just that much bit easier to fudge here and trim there. And, why not? Why should they be the last suckers out there paying full freight?

JudetheFossil on January 26, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Is it MSNBC hack or Presidential Lobbyist?

Why repeat yourself?

lorien1973 on January 26, 2009 at 5:44 PM

JudetheFossil on January 26, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I have the feeling that charitable contributions and such are going to be maxed out for quite a few people this year.

Bishop on January 26, 2009 at 5:47 PM

lorien1973 on January 26, 2009 at 5:44 PM

heh… busted.

Hog Wild on January 26, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Harkin is giving an anti-Geithner speech right now.

MayBee on January 26, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Snap. That explains why Collins is against Geithner. Dems are too.

Buy Danish on January 26, 2009 at 5:50 PM

jimmy the notable on January 26, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Yep. And McAmnesty is doing the same thing. He’ll oppose the bailout/stimulus for a couple of days, get some moron ‘conservative journalist’ to praise his maverickness, and then go back to being Obama’s new BFF in the Senate.

McAmnesty, Collins, Specter…all have got to go away before the GOP has a chance again.

angryed on January 26, 2009 at 5:53 PM

I wrote both of my communi…democratic senators, I expect nothing.

jukin on January 26, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Agreed. Thumbs down on Geithner. It’s a no-brainer.

chunderroad on January 26, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Republicans should learn from what the Democrats would do if the positions were reversed. They would have taken the moral high ground, lose and use their loss as a talking point and a badge of honor for the next 4 years. Republicans just do not understand how to use their few remaining weapons.

Fred 2 on January 26, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Perhaps a bit of token resistance buoyed by the serene confidence of a sure approval? If not, and she’s sincere, then she’s got bigger balls than Orrin Hatch, and I mean that as a compliment, although the bar is quite low.
I’m betting tokenism.

a capella on January 26, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Mitchell wasn’t playing devil’s advocate for crying out loud… she is the devils’ advocate!

Could she get any pushier! What a clown.

Good for Collins. Surprising… but good.

katy on January 26, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Andrea all but said screw your personal integrity and ignore your constituents Sen. Collins, Obama’s pick is far more important.

guido911 on January 26, 2009 at 6:07 PM

I have to say this..
the republicans abaonded capitolism
by alowing wall street to run like the wild west.
theives werent in the banks no
they lived on wall street..

So now although i agree this guy is a creep and a tax cheat.
I wonder how the republicans can mainaint their morality
when they Turned a blind eye to the wholesale FRAUD on wall street…

jcila on January 26, 2009 at 6:07 PM

I know I can count on Jim Demint, and now suprisingly Susan Collins. Who else?

therightwinger on January 26, 2009 at 6:08 PM

If theres a realistic chance of cratering one of the Holy Prophet’s (PBUH) key nominees, I’d rather it be Eric Holder, who has, can, and will do much more damage to the country than Geithner.

imo, the GOP should make a loud stink about Geithner before movingon.org, but they should go to the mattresses over Holder & throw the kitchen sink at him, come what may.

Mike D. on January 26, 2009 at 6:13 PM

I’m sick of these guys in government getting a pass every time they say, ‘oops’ and I find it hard to believe that Geithner is the best of the best. Time to find a more honorable person to head the IRS than a tax cheat who originally made good on only two of the four years for which he was in arrears.

Sheesh. Is this the best we can do?

redfoxbluestate on January 26, 2009 at 6:14 PM

I say to the republicans this
Clean up your own house
Do not vote this guy in..

but dont say anything wrong about him either..
Obama wants only one this
He wants the republicans for COVER in case anything goes wrong..

and i cannot imagine anything going wrong when hiring
Tax cheaters for the top job at the IRS..

jcila on January 26, 2009 at 6:17 PM

therightwinger on January 26, 2009 at 6:08 PM

Always remember what a RINO is. Never count on them. They will always (not sometimes) disappoint. RINO’s have lucid moments on occasion (such as today) but never forget who they are.

katy on January 26, 2009 at 6:17 PM

If Collins is voting no then it’s got to be a party line vote.

Vince on January 26, 2009 at 6:26 PM

It’s become pretty apparent that when the Democrats say they’re going to drain the swamp in Washington, what they mean is they’re going to promote all the scum out of the swamp and into higher office.

Nice.

Bruce in NH on January 26, 2009 at 6:33 PM

I sent this to my Senator (Cornyn) last week after the committee vote on Geithner:

How can you possibly justify giving the keys to the Treasury to an individual as dishonest as Timothy Geithner??

You said you are “willing to give Mr. Geithner the benefit of the doubt”. But where does it stop? What level of deceipt and corruption will finally trigger the limit of your ‘doubt’?

You have to start drawing some lines. I am hoping that your conscience puts in an appearance soon and you begin to call the game with integrity.

I keep trying. I’m not sure anyone is listening.

Peri Winkle on January 26, 2009 at 6:36 PM

What I said in the headlines about the vote:

One “Nay” for every thousand in taxes Geithner cheated on. It’s a shame he didn’t skip out on $51,000 in taxes …

progressoverpeace on January 26, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Great!! I will do my taxes with Turbo Tax. I will save a bundle not having to pay my honest accountant to do it.

izoneguy on January 26, 2009 at 6:37 PM

A woman with balls – guys go get a clue.

izoneguy on January 26, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Right on. We’ll take her “no” vote. She may disappoint as a RINO, but she’s right-on this time. “Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth” as the saying goes. There’s always hope. Has to be.

Roger Brown on January 26, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Isn’t the new nation of Obamatron a wonderful country.

rplat on January 26, 2009 at 6:38 PM

“Democrats for Tax-Cheatiness – Geithner Confirmed”.

I don’t suppose the Post will print that headline.

Peri Winkle on January 26, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Then why in hell did you vote for him Hatch? The hypocrisy and spinelessness is sickening. Do any of these slugs have any real values or stand for anything?

rplat on January 26, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Wow! This is one of the first times I’ve been proud of one of my Senators. (From northern Maine. Our blue dog Democrat representative Michaud is usually more conservative than Senators Snowe and Collins!) Guess those letters I’ve been sending Susan and Olympia are starting to get through to them…

joe_doufu on January 26, 2009 at 6:51 PM

So now there is absolutely no reason to treat taxes anyway other than Geither did.

Suggestion…minimize your withholding, because once the criminals in washington have your money, it will be harder to get it back.

Be like Geithner. If you get caught, pay up to the statute of limitations, and say you are sorry the tax code forced you to make a mistake.

It will help you a LOT more than the Depression Stimulus package.

notagool on January 26, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Just say no to stupidity!

grapeknutz on January 26, 2009 at 6:55 PM

The fox is now in charge of the hen house. Nice!!! Congratulations America!!!

Entelechy on January 26, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Holder will be next.

Enjoy!

artist on January 26, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Just don’t pay your taxes in April, and pay them in a few years, with apologies. You have the absolute perfect precedent, the agency’s boss.

Entelechy on January 26, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Republicans are not impressing ME with “picking their battles.”

So, the question is, Allahpundit, who ARE they trying to impress?

And then the question becomes . . . why? Why do they care more about impressing Democrats than pleasing their own constituents?

If a tax cheat as head of IRS isn’t something to stand up against, then let’s admit it. Nothing is. We’re toast, period.

Alana on January 26, 2009 at 7:01 PM

YAY FOR MY GEORGIA SENATORS! They will live to see another vote from me!

Thank God SOMEONE with some ethics remains in this country.

Alana on January 26, 2009 at 7:02 PM

There are even a couple of (D)’s in the Nays.

terryannonline on January 26, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Voinovich!

artist on January 26, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Byrd (D-WV) and Harkin(D-IA) voted no, along with Independent-Socialist Bernie Sanders of VT.

Wethal on January 26, 2009 at 7:05 PM

If you can’t draw the line on a tax cheat at Treasury, where can you draw it?

It’s terribly difficult………

…………. to un-cook an egg.

Seven Percent Solution on January 26, 2009 at 7:06 PM

McCain voted Nay. Graham voted Yea. And one my Senators (Cornyn) voted Yea.

terryannonline on January 26, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Corker (R-TN)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Crapo (R-ID)
Ensign (R-NV)
Graham (R-SC)
Gregg (R-NH)
Shelby (R-AL)
Snowe (R-ME)
Voinovich (R-OH)

Entelechy on January 26, 2009 at 7:07 PM

McCain voted no, but Lindsay Graham voted yes? Oh, yes, McCain is up in 2010, and Graham just got re-elected, so it’s safe to be a RINO.

Wethal on January 26, 2009 at 7:07 PM

4 Dems voting no:
Byrd, Feingold, Harkin, Sanders

10 Reps voting yes:
Corker, Cornyn, Crapo, Ensign, Graham, Gregg, Hatch, Shelby, Snowe, Voinovich

3 Dems not voting:
Brown, Kennedy, Wyden

1 Rep not voting:
Bond

DaveO on January 26, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Entelechy on January 26, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Don’t forget to blame TurboTax.

milwife88 on January 26, 2009 at 7:09 PM

WOW, is it the GOP down to 34 now?
I can’t wait to see THIS idiot try to prosecute ANYONE for not paying taxes.

nelsonknows on January 26, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Feingold (D-WI) voted no, too, but I expect Harry didn’t whip this vote that much, knowing he had 10 GOP votes in his pocket.

Wethal on January 26, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Cornyn is also one of my senators and I have always held him in high regard. I hope he explains why he decided to voter “year” for the confirmation of this crooked, lying, cheating bum.

rplat on January 26, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Goodness! If the 10 had voted against, it would have given Obama his first HUGE loss.(50/44)

I am trying to be optimistic about the future of this country, but these 10 RINO’s are making it VERY difficult.

And I was wondering how the first crap sandwich was forced down our collective throats. Now we have 10 reasons why!

PappaMac on January 26, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Left out Hatch

Corker (R-TN)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Crapo (R-ID)
Ensign (R-NV)
Graham (R-SC)
Gregg (R-NH)
Hatch (R-UT)
Shelby (R-AL)
Snowe (R-ME)
Voinovich (R-OH)

Entelechy on January 26, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Wethal on January 26, 2009 at 7:07 PM

I guess that’s why Senator Cornyn from my state voted Yea. He just won re-election so he can afford to be bi-partisan.

terryannonline on January 26, 2009 at 7:11 PM

I hate my Senator so much. Why do the people of South Carolina continue to elect this clown? I doubt it will do any good but I left Graham a message scolding him for voting for himself, again, instead of in the interests of his constituents.

cadams on January 26, 2009 at 7:11 PM

rplat on January 26, 2009 at 7:09 PM

“why he decided to voter “year”" should be” why he decided to vote “yea”"

Sorry for the error . . . I was so pissed that hit the wrong keys.

rplat on January 26, 2009 at 7:12 PM