Limbaugh fires back: Obama wants me to fail

posted at 7:10 pm on January 26, 2009 by Allahpundit

What’s greater, his contempt for The One or for the GOP leadership?

Friday morning in a meeting with House and Senate Republican leaders, President Obama basically told them to stop listening to me, that’s not how things get done in Washington. “We can’t let Rush Limbaugh stall the stimulus plan.” Now, this is the great unifier. This is the man that’s going to unify everybody and usher in a new era of bipartisan and love. He’s obviously more frightened of me than he is Mitch McConnell. He is more frightened of me than he is of, say, John Boehner, which doesn’t say much about our party. I mean, to tell you the truth, folks, if the president is a little more worried about somebody on the radio than he is about somebody on Capitol Hill… I think Obama wants me to fail, there’s no question, Obama didn’t use the words, but President Obama, by telling you and elected Republicans in Washington not to listen to me because I am not how things get done in Washington, he has said that he wants me to fail. And we know how outraged the Drive-By Media got when they reported that that’s what I said about Obama’s policies…

This is a political play and a lot of people I think are misunderstanding this. “He’s frightened of Limbaugh.” I don’t think he’s afraid of anybody. He’s the president of the United States. This is a political play to marginalize me so that Republicans are afraid to associate with my ideas or any of us. He wants conservatism, mainstream conservatism to be thought of the way you and I think of communism. He wants it thought of as the most foreign, the most offensive, the most extreme manner of belief possible. There are no elected Republicans who are espousing conservatism today, so he’s gotta find somebody who is. I happen to be the most prominent voice, but there are many others, so he focuses on me. This is a Saul Alinsky radical rule number 13: Pick the target, me, isolate it, polarize it. It’s almost like Colin Powell. We’ll kill it, we’ll isolate it, we’ll cut its head off. That’s what’s happening here. This is a purposeful effort to get rid of conservatism as a mainstream way of thinking forever in this country, make no mistake about it.

Yeah, like I said Saturday, I can’t believe Obama “goofed” and took a dig at Limbaugh not realizing that it would leak. He knew it would; the question is, what was he hoping to gain by it? Presumably he’s playing off the media scrutiny of Limbaugh’s comment last week, which even people like Bill Bennett have (tepidly) criticized. An Obama vs. Rush fight becomes an “I hope he succeeds” vs. “I hope he fails” fight, and that’s not a fight Limbaugh can win when Obama’s approval rating’s in the high 60s and people are terrified of an economic catastrophe.

Speaking of which, he also rolled out the Obama/Limbaugh Bipartisan Stimulus Plan this afternoon. Exit question: Who ever thought Rush would back $540 billion in government spending?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Am I banned, two posts have dissapeared.

DeathToMediaHacks on January 26, 2009 at 8:10 PM

“Obama , what’s the frequency, Obama , what’s the frequency!”

DTM in a padded room having a tantrum over Rush talk radio..

the_nile on January 27, 2009 at 6:41 AM

The TRUTH is the truth no matter what the poll numbers are at the time. Anybody who aspires to be heard knows he must run the risk that he or she may not be heard or listened to and thus not be popular.

But Rush Limbaugh has been nationally syndicated for 20 years; that says it all. And besides that he is rich. Thus he cannot be bought. Rush will go on everyday stating the truth; whether Americans respond to it is not up to him but up to them. I know that and he knows that.

technopeasant on January 27, 2009 at 8:45 AM

Obama’s little slap is just the tip of the iceberg. This is textbook statist socialist/communist propagandizing. If Americans are too stupid to understand what they are seeing unfold, they deserve everything they get.

I’m not taking secession off the table.

LimeyGeek on January 27, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Allah, didn’t you advise McCain that he had to support the stimulus package, because if he didn’t, and things didn’t improve, then the Media was going to say bad things about him?

That worked out real well, didn’t it.

When you abandon your basic priniciples for political reasons you always lose, and worse, people no longer trust you.

This advise is what got us a Pres.Obama and a near filibuster proof Senate.

MarkTheGreat on January 27, 2009 at 8:57 AM

I used to think that Hillary Clinton was the best thing that ever happened to Rush Limbaugh. But now I am beginning to think Obama is the best thing that ever happened to Rush Limbaugh.

In truth I rarely listen to Rush or Hannity or any of the talk radio people. And I think that there are times when they alienate more people than they inspire or inform.

For instance, I don’t remember any of these guys railing against Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac when the Dow was at record highs. They could have cared less. They had other fish to fry.

But Obama looks like an idiot going after a private citizen. I think about all the crap Bush took from both sides and somehow he never felt the need to attack anyone for speaking their minds.

I like Obama less all the time.

Terrye on January 27, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Mark:

I think that we are confusing issues here. McCain is not supporting Obama’s stimulus package last I heard. I do believe that Allah felt that just ignoring the pending collapse of the financial markets would be a bad idea. At least I got that impression, and I think he was right. I was reading the other day that Britain came within 3 hours of the collapse of their banking system. The United States was in much the same position.

I think that measures had to be taken to keep capitol flowing and bring liquidity to the markets, however, that does not mean I support Obama’s plan. I don’t. The two are not the same thing.

Terrye on January 27, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Terrye on January 27, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Actually Terrye, Rush warned us of the Frannie-Freddie debacle a-coming on several occasions covering the past several years. If you were a regular listener, you would know that.

Keemo on January 27, 2009 at 9:22 AM

And btw Mark, if that system had collapsed and people had not been able to cash paychecks or run businesses, what were we going to do? Barter? No, I think that if there had not been some response by government to the situation Democrats would have made greater gains than they did and Obama would have gotten more votes. The truth is if government had not ignored Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac for years the situation might not have been so bad, so extreme..the extreme volatility of the financial sector was not just a by product of a natural cycle, not after years of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. That means government helped create the situation and as such they had some obligation to deal with it.

Terrye on January 27, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Keemo:

I am not saying that no one mentioned it at all.. Bush tried for years to reform the system. McCain even tried to get legislation passed to deal with it. But a lot of people on the right were more concerned with issues like illegal immigration than they were any pending disaster in the financial markets. They did advise their people to shut down the Senate’s phone lines in support of McCain’s bill did they? Did they spend anywhere near the amount of time and energy on this that they did immigration?

And yet right now according to virtually every poll, immigration is about 17 or 18 on the list of things the American people are concerned with and the economy and jobs is number one.

Terrye on January 27, 2009 at 9:31 AM

And when all the true blue conservatives out there who threatened to sit home and let the Democrats win, did they ever really think about the fact that would mean Chris Dodd and Barney Frank would be running these committees? Did they really care about the effect that would have on subprime loans.

No. Not that I remember. They were too busy sending a message. Throwing a tantrum. Trying to purge the party.

Terrye on January 27, 2009 at 9:34 AM

And I don’t support Obama’s plan. It is too much money. The only way I could support spending this kind of money is if it were on power grids, nuclear power plants and other energy producing projects. That way the future generations might get something out of it.

Terrye on January 27, 2009 at 9:40 AM

First time posting… and trying to read 14 hours of comments to get a sense of the prevailing discussion can be overwhelming.

A few thoughts I had while catching up:

1…those of you who take Allah to task over posting the quote out of context… AP linked to the news story, which took Rush’s comment out of context; I think AP likes doing this sort of thing, as others have pointed out, …. AP is a master of getting you to look, to satisfy you curiosity… did he really say that/mean that??? Result: it generates traffic/comments… kind of similar to how Rush gets an audience… and it is a form of entertainment. Especially when you find out you’ve just spent more than an hour reading comments.
a) this taking a two statement sound bite and leaving out the qualifying portion reminds me of something I read by a former Irish monk (can’t remember either book or author) who was quoted
as saying something about Jesus being an itinerant Jew…. he said the media is only interested in reporting
sound bites, so, you have to be able to boil down your pov as such. Unfortunately, his was a two statement sound bite and they left out the part where is said he was an iterant Jew …with a good message.

2. re Pres. Obama telling lawmakers that they should not listen to what someone else is saying… especially someone who, like him or not, has demonstrated via his lasting this long in the private sector, represents a few million American citizens …reminded me of a theme in the book “Gift of Fear”… when
a person (who could have power over you) casually recommends how you should feel/act , it should cause the hairs on the back of your neck to stand up. What they are actually saying is: that very action on your part is not what they want because it will take away their full power; so, that is the thing that you should do, to protect yourself. Disclosure: the book is focused on protecting yourself/your children from physical harm, but I think the analogy stands.

3. Trying to make a meaningful/intelligent sounding comment on these threads is hard!!

FLKraKa on January 27, 2009 at 10:02 AM

I think Rush is absolutely right on that. And the funny thing is that people like Rush, Palin or JTP are only making that easier.

mycowardice on January 27, 2009 at 10:38 AM

So, what ever happened to that “Obama will govern from the center” nonsense? Fools.

marklmail on January 27, 2009 at 10:51 AM

The Republican politicians have lost their balls. They can’t handle the truth as Rush puts forth.

I am for the Limbaugh/Obama stimulus. I have emailed O to tell him that.

reshas1 on January 27, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Sarah Palin just created a PAC (political action committee). She is now a player for 2012.

technopeasant on January 27, 2009 at 11:14 AM

HotAir has become such a cluster of faux-Conservatives it’s disgusting… Rush is 100% correct. We DO WANT the Messiah to FAIL, his socilist policies that is… Why can’t even Ed and Allah get that through thier Liberal lover heads? Rush never said she wanted HIM as a man to fail or be harmed! For the sake of America and FREEDOM we must have his policies FAIL! So Allah, Ed and the rest of your idiots at HotAir wtf is so hard to understand? Rush is right! The Obamagedden must NOT happen.

Mark Garnett on January 27, 2009 at 11:42 AM

technopeasant on January 27, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Is it hers, or someone else just putting something up?
I thought it said at the bottom it was not endorsed by Sarah…did I mis-read that?

right2bright on January 27, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Paid for by SarahPAC
Not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee

or

Authorized And Paid For By Your Donations To Palin PAC * P. O. Box 2011 * Lynnwood, WA 98036-2011
Not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee

Looks like there are two, but are they legit?

right2bright on January 27, 2009 at 12:16 PM

why would obama want you to fail Rush? You have already failed in not wanting McCain to win the nomination, wanting Palin as the VP only to cost McCain in the end, wanting Hillary to beat Obama … the GOP winning in 2006, the GOP winning in 2008, and then wanting McCain to beat Obama (flip flop) … gosh darn, except for the $$$ you make pulling the wool over right wing fanatics I can’t remember the last time you succeeded!

Monkei on January 27, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Obama and the libs Hate free speech..

to them free speech means to
urinate on our flag
To burn it
To take a crucifix and put in into urine jars..

But if IF IF
they are in power and anyone DARES to oppose the GAG MESSIAH
then they are suing and tying to have americans Either thrown out of work (by shutting down the talk radio stations)

or i am wondering when
the new Obama and Pelozi re-education camps are going to be opened..????

jcila on January 27, 2009 at 1:13 PM

In the Name of Obama, the Most Merciful, the Most Compassionate, I present greetings and blessing upon you.

Obviously The One never heard of the adage never argue with a man who buys his ink by the barrel. Or in this case, his radio waves by the gigawatt. The One thinks he will win simply by showing up and doesn’t realize that when you’re in the lead, you don’t mention the other guy by name.

Does Coke mention Pepsi, or Budwiser mention Miller? not by name. This is the same error The One made with Palin: you need to appear presidential, and let your attack dogs do your dirty work.

This is why you have Biden and Emmanuel, and a host of others.

I R A Darth Aggie on January 27, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Your just upset AP that he proves you’re a poll loving liberal apologist who backs GOP politicans with no backbone loving signing on and voting with Democrats for hardcore socialism.

Get this: you think that Republicans can’t oppose Democrats because of popular poll ratings so they have to agree to deficit spend $1 trillion more 3 months after deficit spending $700 billion that did nothing to stimulate the economy. That’s more like $2 trillion in less than a year and doesn’t include the annual budget. We need this because we’re looking at getting 8% unemployment so the government needs to employ those people so they can pay those taxes that are supposed to pay off that deficit spending. How spending money to increase s-chip, and condoms for children will stimulate the economy I have no clue but okay. Then by the end if the year they’ll be saying how so many people are laid off they don’t have good health insurance so they’ll add a few $100 billion (if we’re lucky it’ll be that small) of an entitlement program on top of that. But of course, it’s a principaled and patriotic Republican that welcomes the new President’s and his Paryy’s policies with open arms because they’re just to DANG POPULAR!

Thank you Rush! I’ve had just about enough of the Eeyore RINOism to last a lifetime. Freaking cynics. But that comes a lot with Atheism.

Sultry Beauty on January 27, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Terrye on January 27, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Thank you Terrye for another great example of yet another person who expresses an uninformed opinion of Rush. I think I’ll write a book about giving birth as I too have no clue about the topic I’ll write of, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express when I was on vacation. :oP

DannoJyd on January 27, 2009 at 11:38 PM