It’s on: Bill Kristol challenges Matt Damon to debate

posted at 2:20 pm on January 26, 2009 by Allahpundit

A honey of a stunt by Breitbart to build buzz for Big Hollywood. $100,000 to make it happen, though?

Must be nice to have Drudge money.

On Sunday afternoon Weekly Standard editor and New York Times columnist Bill Kristol — in an email exchange with Big Hollywood — agreed to debate Matt Damon on his Hollywood home turf after being informed the 38-year old actor ridiculed Kristol in an interview in the Miami Herald.

“He’s an idiot — he wrote that we should be grateful to George Bush because he won the Iraq war. We! Won! The! War!”

As the sponsor of the event, Big Hollywood is offering $100,000 to Damon (or to the charity or carbon credit of his choice) to publicly debate Kristol at a mutually agreed upon time, date and venue.

Who has more to lose? It’s received wisdom on the left that Kristol’s the ne plus ultra of conservative idiocy, as today’s theatrical nutroots overreaction to his leaving the NYT demonstrates. If Damon — whose every interview on politics mentions his Harvard pedigree for extra gravitas — goes toe to toe with him and loses, his lefty intellectual cred will be smashed. If Kristol loses, at the very least he should be forced to give up his chair on “Special Report.” Or maybe have it lowered by a foot or so, that his shame might be forever preserved with a sight gag.

Note to Breitbart: If you really want to kick up a fuss online, change the topic from Iraq to Sarah Palin. Exit question one: Did I misread Damon’s quote there or is he actually acknowledging that the war is won? He’s being sarcastic, right? Exit question two: If he isn’t being sarcastic, which is more surprising? That quote, or this one:

”Look, the best line about torture I’ve heard came from [retired CIA officer turned war-on-terrorism critic] Milt Beardon,” Damon says. “He said, ‘If a guy knows where a dirty bomb is hidden that’s going to go off in a Marriott, put me in a room with him and I’ll find out. But don’t codify that. Just let me break the law.’

“Which I think is right. You can’t legalize torture. But anybody would do it in that situation. You’d do it to me in that situation; you’d pull out my fingernails if you thought I knew something like that.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Pop Quiz: As part of the Red Sox Nation, who would you rather get rid of if you had to choose 1 or the other?

A) Matt Damon
B) Manny Ramirez

TheHat on January 26, 2009 at 4:28 PM

1GooDDaDDy on January 26, 2009 at 2:42 PM

That was freaking hilarious!

stonemeister on January 26, 2009 at 4:30 PM

A) Matt Damon
B) Manny Ramirez

TheHat on January 26, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Come on, what kind of question is that… Sox would’ve gone back to back if Manny was there, I don’t like what he did to his team letting his personal beef with the front office get in the way, but he’s a masher and deserved a good contract from the Sox. Anyway, I have nothing intelligent to say about Matt Damon so I’ll do what he does when asked about people he disagrees with and say: he sucks, the end.

SoxNation on January 26, 2009 at 4:41 PM

The GOP needs more people like Kristol. Neoconservatism is for winners.

popularpeoplesfront on January 26, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Ummm…. Uhhh… How do we get the same deal going between the One and Rush? I smell a 100 to Zero score, w/no I sorry.

RalphyBoy on January 26, 2009 at 5:20 PM

So if Damon pees in his pants and declines the offer…will he finally shut his cake hole???

BigWyo on January 26, 2009 at 5:22 PM

When you wrestle a pig all you do is come out dirty and the pig just has fun.

TheSitRep on January 26, 2009 at 5:23 PM

A dropout has a pedigree?

DrSteve on January 26, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Bourne Idiocy?

RightWinged on January 26, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Total sarcasm–scoffing at the idea that we won the war at all.

Anwyn on January 26, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Matt Damon

chunderroad on January 26, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Matt Damon!

Cr4sh Dummy on January 26, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Ripping Matt Damon’s fingernails out should be relatively easy as the pliers would extra grip on his clear fingernail polish he always wears.

44Magnum on January 26, 2009 at 6:27 PM

BigWyo on January 26, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Please!!!

answer- No.

44Magnum on January 26, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Maybe Damon ought to just debate himself. I’ll bet $100 Damon can lose both sides. Libs are experts at that. Then they go for the pity vote …

progressoverpeace on January 26, 2009 at 6:30 PM

If I’m not mistaken Damon’s brief stint at Harvard was in there acting school.
terryannonline on January 26, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Yes you’re wrong… and gosh darn those pesky homophones!

benny shakar on January 26, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Ted Kennedy went to Harvard too.

Case closed.

Cicero43 on January 26, 2009 at 2:26 PM

And cheated and was expelled…..rofl.

ex-Democrat on January 26, 2009 at 7:46 PM

He gives white a bad name!

christene on January 26, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Must be nice to have Drudge money.

Why the cheap shot at another site?

MoCoM on January 26, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Yes you’re wrong…

benny shakar on January 26, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Oh I’m sorry I was wrong he didn’t go to acting school, he majored in English. He’s a really smart fellow. He paid big bucks to go to Harvard and study…… English. So I guess that makes him smarter than everyone else because he went to the Harvard bookstore to purchase his literature books. Oh and I am sure he’s also extra smart because he sat there while his English professor probably made some dopey Reagan and Bush jokes. Brilliant!

terryannonline on January 26, 2009 at 8:43 PM

terryannonline on January 26, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Yes,Damon is sooooooooo smart that he is still wanting to know if Sarah Palin believes dinosaurs were here 4000 years ago because some obscure blogger said so in starting a joke.

His intelligence really shines through also when he ranted and whined about Bush/Cheney exposing Valarie “magazine expose’”Plame when in fact it was Armitage,a democrat.
Damon has not shown the same “outrage” for the democrat.

Super smart Damon also went on and on and on about how terrible Bush was for spying on Americans with the NSA wiretapping until Obama voted for it.
Now it is okay.

Wow,if it wasn’t for that super great Harvard degree,you would think Damon was stuck on stupid for being so wrong about so much.

Baxter Greene on January 26, 2009 at 11:11 PM

BigWyo on January 26, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Yes he will… after which he will promptly open his pie-hole.

That’s the problem with Hollywood celebrities and their BS: too many holes!

RD on January 26, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Kristol should take the challenge. How often do you get the chance to debate a true Hollywood Liberal? Generally, they refuse to debate, and if they do it turns into a name calling match, and those you cannot lose.

My take is that Damon will run and evade, but will refuse to debate ala Al Gore!

darkmetal on January 27, 2009 at 12:01 AM

terryannonline on January 26, 2009 at 8:43 PM

You mightwant to brush up on “there” and “their” before trying to impugn someone else’s intelligence.

I won’t even bother with ellipses.

benny shakar on January 27, 2009 at 1:48 AM

I won’t even bother with ellipses.

benny shakar on January 27, 2009 at 1:48 AM

You want to explain why using “there” which designates a place is incorrect when referring to a place, as opposed to using “their” which is a possessive??? Or perhaps you would just prefer to brush up on your usage of adverbs and personal pronouns.

“Their” is a third person plural personal pronoun, as such it is a possessive which always refers to either an individual or group of individuals.

“There” is an adverb which refers to a place.

terryannonline usage of “there” was clearly as an adverb specifically referring to a classroom at Harvard.

doriangrey on January 27, 2009 at 8:47 AM

It is a futile endeavor, like mud-wrestling with a pig.

moxie_neanderthal on January 27, 2009 at 9:43 AM

terryannonline, I followed that link to NPR and listened to the debate and agreed with your assessment. I think Kristol did a bang up job and would wipe the floor if they could keep a good handle on the questions. Thanks for the link.

ort777 on January 27, 2009 at 1:15 PM