Bob Woodward hints: Team Obama has another tax/nanny problem

posted at 7:45 pm on January 26, 2009 by Allahpundit

Via Breitbart, a rare case of Kausian “undernews” momentarily breaking through the MSM wall. When I was young and naive, I’d have guessed that the media didn’t yet have the particulars of this story but were working hard to bring them out. Now I just assume that they know everything already but that the bombshell won’t burst until the day after the midterms.

Media Blog notes that Matthews’s appetite for nasty gossip seems to depend entirely on whether it’s being served by a reporter or a blogger. Exit question: Unless the scandal involves Hillary or The One himself, will anyone care? We just confirmed a tax dodger as Treasury secretary, for god’s sake.

Comments

Exit Answer: No

gryphon202 on January 26, 2009 at 7:48 PM

I will care, but I’m just a lowly, patriotic, average, taxpaying American and no one seems to care about me anymore.

Bishop on January 26, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Is there some freaking secret society of nannies running around bent on destroying political careers?

hawkdriver on January 26, 2009 at 7:49 PM

It won’t ever be over….this is life in America for at least the next 4 years.

Dr Evil on January 26, 2009 at 7:52 PM

hawkdriver on January 26, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Let’s hope so.

rplat on January 26, 2009 at 7:52 PM

The lieftists want it both ways..

they demand all americans strictly follow the tax and immigration laws..

then turn right around and hire
illegal mexicans to cut their grass and to clean their homes

this time i am Blaming the liberals
Who Abuse both the system and illegal immigrants
then complain when they get CAUGHT..

jcila on January 26, 2009 at 7:52 PM

I like how atheists only bring up god for the bad stuff.

Stephen M on January 26, 2009 at 7:53 PM

meaningless

rob verdi on January 26, 2009 at 7:54 PM

There is… another… sky…walk…er…

Honestly, I don’t care anymore. If this had been a Republican, there’d be thousands of moonbats digging up who and why and every program and MSM news show would be speculating and wondering until the truth came out.

Like Geithner, who was in charge of Citibank when it went down and a proven tax cheat being put in charge of the Treasury. Do you think Ken Lay would’ve gotten the same slide in? Nah.

Blagojevich is a corrupt governor but hey, it’s unfair the way he’s being tried and the View loves him so cut him some slack and Fitzgerald is wrong and going for political points. Think a Republican would get that? Think Libby did?

feh.

Skywise on January 26, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Let’s hope so.

rplat on January 26, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Bravo! You beat me to that line.

Red State State of Mind on January 26, 2009 at 7:55 PM

the vast right-wing nanny conspiracy

runner on January 26, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Meh, I’m not as intested in something that creates bad press for Obama, as I am in something that convinces him to question the wisdom of running neverending trillion-dollar deficits.

Enrique on January 26, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Does anybody notice that like 90% of these so-called public servants have nannies? That they don’t pay taxes for? Why do so many politicians have nannies? Could it be they are FU*KIN’ RICH? Sucking off the teat of the American taxpayer? Where the f*** is my bailout?

Andy in Agoura Hills on January 26, 2009 at 8:00 PM

I heard from a very good source that Dick Cheney and Karl Rove have some “bathroom problems.”

Who is my source? I can’t tell you that.

See how it works?

sandman on January 26, 2009 at 8:04 PM

If it’s a Cabinet official is there anyone left but Holder? I don’t think Obama’s chosen a Richardson replacement for Commerce yet.

Wethal on January 26, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Obama needs to file a federal gift tax return for his $64,000 gift to Rezko’s wife. Several years ago, Obama bought an adjacent parcel of land from her for $104,500 when he had an appraisal of the property for $40,500.

Beyond that, I’m still betting that Rezko or some other Obama fixer managed to route Obama’s seller the $300K that the seller knocked off the asking price in a seller’s market a few years ago. My guess is that the seller cooperated because he wanted his Form 1099 amount for the sales proceeds to come in about $1.35M–a point at which his gain might have exceeded the amount he could otherwise exclude. Speculation about the sale, sure. But the media never investigated the reasons that Obama’s seller knocked nearly 20% of the asking price in a very desirable neighborhood. It just doesn’t compute.

The gift tax return isn’t speculation. Obama needs to file that one–and then explain why he’s making such a gift to the wife of one of his fixers. No statute of limitations begins running as long as he doesn’t file the return.

BuckeyeSam on January 26, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Let’s hope so.

rplat on January 26, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Bravo! You beat me to that line.

Red State State of Mind on January 26, 2009 at 7:55 PM

I hope so too. I just thought it was so funny that it’s always a nanny. You would think after Zoe Baird the Liberals would put that nanny thing on a checklist somewhere.

hawkdriver on January 26, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Exit question, yes but then what does it matter whether I care? Does anybody really thing Woodward knows anything? But then again I guess we should be thrilled if any member of media actually looks into anything about this administration.

Cindy Munford on January 26, 2009 at 8:06 PM

sandman on January 26, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Like John McCains affair and President Bush’s flight physical…

See how that works?

hawkdriver on January 26, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Cindy Munford on January 26, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Yup!

hawkdriver on January 26, 2009 at 8:07 PM

I imagine you’re completely in the dark AP. Surprised Ace is too, he usually at least hints that he may or may not have something.

Free Constitution on January 26, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Last week, Chris Matthews went crazy…

Last week? LAST WEEK??

Zorro on January 26, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Unless the scandal involves Hillary or The One himself, will anyone care?

In the MSM? Not unless the nanny is found to have commited suicide with 12 gunshot wounds to the back of the head.

MB4 on January 26, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Zorro on January 26, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Good one.

Cindy Munford on January 26, 2009 at 8:15 PM

You would think people would catch on that illegal nannies are a problem for political careers.

Now if you have sex with interns, be they young adults like Bill Clinton’s caper, or a minor like Portland’s mayor, it is no big deal. Opps. Well, only if you are a Democrat.

But God forbid you hire a nanny illegally. Because you are finished in politics.

Mr. Joe on January 26, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Exit question’s answer:
Fran Drescher’s laugh seems fitting right about now.

innominatus on January 26, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Actually, the gift was from the Rezkos to the Obamas, and it was for a lot more than $64,000, or even the $300k that the Obamas saved on their house purchase due to Rezko’s purchase of the adjoining lot at full asking price. When Mrs. Rezko sold that 10-foot strip of her lot to the Obamas, she rendered her own lot too small to qualify for a building permit. In other words, her lot is now essentially worthless since nothing can be built on it. So her gift to the Obamas was basically the purchase price of the adjoining lot ($600k?), plus the $300k she saved the Obamas on their house, for a total “gift” of around $900k.

We should all have such generous “friends.”

AZCoyote on January 26, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Wouldn’t it be great,if Woodward,
would spend more time,investigating
the entire Liberal Party!

I bet,WoodWard,would have more ‘Deep
Throats’than there are ‘Buses’!!!

canopfor on January 26, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Tax dodgers are the new black.

notagool on January 26, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Mr. Joe on January 26, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Or if you have a teenage male hooker running a rentboy service out of your apartment (Barney Frank).

Wethal on January 26, 2009 at 8:22 PM

It won’t matter but let’s review the facts surrounding “the most ethical administration ever.”

Geithner- tax cheat.
Hillary Clinton- enough said.
Rahm Emanuel- involved in Blago scandal.
Bill Richardson- Kickbacks.
Tony Rezko- paid for the Obama crib in Chicago.
Holder- Mark Rich Pardon

That’s a good start but I gotta ask: Is there anybody in filthy bastard’s cabinet that isn’t as corrupt as the filthy bastard himself??? Doubtful but it shouldn’t matter because the bastard won, right?

highhopes on January 26, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Face it…if this had been a Republican, we would have known about it six weeks ago, and multiple apologies would have been issued, and the offending party would have been banished immediately…
Say it with me, now…”double standard”.

uncivilized on January 26, 2009 at 8:26 PM

You know…………

……….. if only this Bob Woodward fellow would hook up with another reporter and follow the story!

Seven Percent Solution on January 26, 2009 at 8:27 PM

12 gunshot wounds to the back of the head…

MB4 on Jan 26,2009 at 8:10PM.

MB4:In a strange park,gun still in hand,body lying
on an inline/ with no blood!

Or,Commerce Secratary,traveling by jet,and some
idiot,conveniently turning off the beacon!!!!!!!!:)

canopfor on January 26, 2009 at 8:27 PM

MB4 on January 26, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Sadly, I’m afraid not even then. Some small backwater paper will make some mention about the “odd suicide” and that will be that.

I’ve never really gotten this whole nanny or housekeeper thing anyway. It’s great for political gotcha, but the libertarian part of me really is offended by the idea that if *I* have somebody do something for me (not as a full-time position), it’s up to *me* to pay their taxes too. That’s not how it works for me — I’m the one required to report my income and pay my taxes if I’m self-employed.

AZfederalist on January 26, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Good reporters don’t gossip — they break stories.

Washed up liberal.

Terrie on January 26, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Obama: Screw You, I Won!

faraway on January 26, 2009 at 8:30 PM

We just confirmed a tax dodger as Treasury secretary, for god’s sake.

Does anyone out there still doubt me when I say that on election day, we put the final nail in America’s coffin and she will never rise again… at least not in any recognizable form.

RightWinged on January 26, 2009 at 8:32 PM

You know….

Seven Percent Solutions on Jan 26,2009 at 8:27PM.

Seven Percent Solution: Okay SPS,were coming up with
almost the same ideas,

SPOOKY,ain’t it!haha:)

canopfor on January 26, 2009 at 8:32 PM

canopfor on January 26, 2009 at 8:32 PM

……… great minds,

Seven Percent Solution on January 26, 2009 at 8:37 PM

I’ve always thought that any guy who wore a ‘mullet’ was nothing more than an insecure 2 year old with serious mommy issues…and when I see Chrissy now with his mullet..it just works for me.

AUINSC on January 26, 2009 at 8:37 PM

highhopes on January 26, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Well, Bill Gates looks pretty honest to me. He was a great choice.

Red State State of Mind on January 26, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Maybe he’s talking about Obama. Him and his executive wife have a really big house in Chicago and 2 small children. Not that anyone would care probably.

mike_NC9 on January 26, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Wethal on January 26, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Come on now, Wethal, you know that isn’t accurate! *

* it was in his townhouse

Red State State of Mind on January 26, 2009 at 8:40 PM

and when I see Chrissy now with his mullet..it just works for me.

AUINSC on January 26, 2009 at 8:37 PM

………… wait until he sprouts his ‘Village People’ moustache.

Seven Percent Solution on January 26, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Zorro on January 26, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Good one.
Cindy Munford on January 26, 2009 at 8:15 PM

There’s a youtube video of the encounter but Mr. Tingle up his leg is too obnoxious to view this soon after supper.

Zorro on January 26, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Seven Percent Solution on January 26, 2009 at 8:40 PM

LOL, MACH-O, MACHO Man!!!

hawkdriver on January 26, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Its a dem, so why report it.

JIMV on January 26, 2009 at 8:46 PM

………… wait until he sprouts his ‘Village People’ moustache.

Seven Percent Solution on January 26, 2009 at 8:40 PM

I it would have to be a pasty…the dude just doesn’t look like he has the sauce to sprout anything but a pair of ‘moobs’.

AUINSC on January 26, 2009 at 8:48 PM

You are a one courageous dude! Thank you.

Bishop on January 26, 2009 at 7:48 PM

I still care about you Bishop, little consolation that might be…let’s all not pay taxes any more. We’ve got the best precedent, the fox (Geithner) in charge of the hen house (the IRS).

Entelechy on January 26, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Exactly, hawkdriver.

Why would you think that I support the spread of any of these rumors, regardless of party affiliation. And they are just that–rumors.

sandman on January 26, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Meh. Like I said in the headlines item, this is akin to Bob Beckel vaguely pimping the non-existent Michelle Obama “whitey” tape rumor on Fox News (which he later blamed right-wing bloggers for pimping).

Isn’t Woodward above this kind of thing?

flipflop on January 26, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Deep Throat?????

sherry on January 26, 2009 at 9:01 PM

sandman on January 26, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Great, just checking.

hawkdriver on January 26, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Are you kidding? If Obama was cheating on his taxes, “Blacks have been unfairly shouldering more than their share of taxes.” If Obama had an illegal alien as a nanny, “He’s helping the poor and disenfranchised by giving them jobs. He’s not a bigot against Mexicans on top of that.” At this point Obama could step on a puppy on the White House front lawn and it would the the puppy’s fault or a mercy killing.

- The Cat

MirCat on January 26, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Sorry, can’t spend much time on this, too busy answering questions on TurboTax. If the IRS calls, I’m giving the same excuses as the new Sec Treasury. Think that will get me anywhere……besides Leavenworth?

GarandFan on January 26, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Hell, Obama has an illegal alien as an aunt. Who cares if his nanny is illegal too?

tommylotto on January 26, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Hmmm, considering that Woodward prefaced his statement with the “vague” warning, what he said wasn’t very, you know, “vague”. OK, I know that I’m out on a limb with this one but hear me out. I think that Woodward was being cryptic here and used the nanny/taxes issue as “code” for something else that may be headed down the pike. I mean, would anyone really care if the Obama’s (or anyone in his admin)had a nanny where they didn’t pay the employment taxes at this point? Come on. This has to be something else with more meat on it than what Woodward is alluding to because if it’s just unpaid taxes on a nanny (or personal taxes for that matter), why would anyone care given that Geitner just sailed through? If it’s taxes, I’d say that it involves O himself and has something to do with his Chicago dealings. Just a thought.

volnation on January 26, 2009 at 9:34 PM

volnation on January 26, 2009 at 9:34 PM

You don’t seem to realize how bulletproof BHO really is. We knew before the election that he received a bribe from a convicted felon in the form of a corrupt housing deal. Are you thinking that Geithner’s IRS will go after him for not paying taxes on those ill gotten gains?

tommylotto on January 26, 2009 at 9:45 PM

I heard that in my car while working. Ticked me off that they confirmed him. Matthews has always been crazy. So should I not pay my taxes? Then I would be at the gray bar hotel.

sheebe on January 26, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Didn’t stop Geithner.

Thus meaningless.

(Unless it’s a Republican, of course.)

profitsbeard on January 26, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Is Bob referring to Uncle Bill and Aunt Bernadine babysitting the Obama kids?

danking70 on January 26, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Yeah, this is just as funny as when I first posted it yesterday afternoon. Heh.

MsUnderestimated on January 26, 2009 at 10:13 PM

tommylotto on January 26, 2009 at 9:45 PM

No, I don’t think that at all. I know that O is the epitome of teflon at this point, but we’re viewing it in the context of right now, less than a week after the guy’s been sworn in. Things may be quite different 6-12 mos. from now. O may actually take a hit in the aggregate by many small, but significant, cuts. His persona and mystique are just too high and mighty to be sustainable for any lengthy period. I’m just saying that it doesn’t make any sense for Woodward to throw this out if this is all there is to it – unless that is all there is to it in which case Woodward may as well retire, because it’s too stupid to be worthy of consideration (to your point).

As for O’s previous Chicago dealings, there may come a time when O can’t explain away this stuff in the way that he’s able to now (see Billy Jeff and Gennifer Flowers vs. Monica Lewinsky/Juanita Brodderick). Careers are made in the MSM by breaking the big story (Woodward’s a great example and so is Drudge) and big media can’t spend the next four years continually reporting how grand, cool and hip O is or else they may as well skip a step fold now because no one will care.

volnation on January 26, 2009 at 10:22 PM

hawkdriver on January 26, 2009 at 8:05 PM

That’s what I was thinking too, until I realized:

The Democrats never had any intention of allowing illegal alien housekeepers to continue to be a “problem” for their nominees past the middle of Bush’s term. Their plan was to introduce amnesty sometime in between (say, 2007?), after which such petty nuisances would be a thing of the past. A little retroactive blanket immunity for nanny-gates thrown in, and presto! No worrries:

“Ms. Kennedy, thanks to the Pelosi-McCain Naturalization Act of 2007, do you feel that you have been given an unfair advantage over those in the past that have had to withdraw from the confirmation process over the hiring of undocumented Americans?”

“…Uh…”

Guess things didn’t quite go according to plan, did they Nancy -

RD on January 26, 2009 at 10:47 PM

I don’t care about another scandal.

I want socialism to fail on its merits, fair and square. Or we’re doomed.

PattyJ on January 26, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Is Bob referring to Uncle Bill and Aunt Bernadine babysitting the Obama kids?

If only – Billy Ayers reaffirmed in some publ. that he and O are garden variety “friends”, which means nothing. UNLESS, Aunt Bernie and Uncle Bill played pattycake with O’s offspring. I read this somewhere last year but even if true it still won’t go anywhere because it’s considered old news and has been pretty out-spun by O and his crew. Now, if O were to get a sweetheart deal on a house from a Chi-town cronie then, hey wait a minute….

volnation on January 26, 2009 at 10:51 PM

So dig up some dirt there, Woodie. Or do you only go after Republicans?

bryan2369 on January 26, 2009 at 11:51 PM

12 gunshot wounds to the back of the head…

MB4 on Jan 26,2009 at 8:10PM.

MB4:In a strange park,gun still in hand,body lying
on an inline/ with no blood!

Or,Commerce Secratary,traveling by jet,and some
idiot,conveniently turning off the beacon!!!!!!!!:)

The first one was just a coincidence. The second one, not so sure.

The Secret Service should watch Hillary when ever she is around the One.

Mr. Joe on January 26, 2009 at 11:55 PM

Wethal on January 26, 2009 at 8:22 PM
Come on now, Wethal, you know that isn’t accurate! *

* it was in his townhouse

Red State State of Mind on January 26, 2009 at 8:40 PM

I would laugh if it wasn’t so friggin sad.

Mr. Joe on January 26, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Whatever…

sabbott on January 27, 2009 at 6:13 AM

Lets at least have fun with it…Ill go on record as saying its Biden as the next tax cheat. God Love Ya! What am I talking about.

malkinmania on January 27, 2009 at 6:28 AM

Could it be that Obama pays his mother-in-law a salary to take care of the kids, but she hasn`t been paying taxes and he hasn`t been paying the SS and Medicare and etc…..

————
And isn`t/wasn`t Biden’s wife a lobbyist?

albill on January 27, 2009 at 7:13 AM

I’ve figured out a foolproof legal defense for those of us who wish to use the Geithner Method (i.e. paying only a portion of your actual tax liability and lying about paying the rest) on our taxes.

If the IRS challenges our use of the Geithner Method, we’ll assert the “Auntie O defense” (named after Obama’s illegal alien auntie and honored inaugural guest): we point out that there are simply too many of us breaking the law for the U.S. to be able to prosecute and imprison all of us, so we’re therefore entitled to amnesty!

We’re “God’s children” too, aren’t we McCain? Where’s your “compassion” for us, Teddy K? Would you really be willing to tear parents away from their children just because of a little “administrative” violation of tax regulations, Lindsey Graham? It’s not really a crime because nobody got hurt, right Nancy? After all, we just did it to make a better life for our children!!!

If it’s good enough for law-breaking foreigners, it should be good enough for us.

AZCoyote on January 27, 2009 at 7:37 AM

Uh Oh… Bob Woodward is the same guy who brought Nixon down. I hope Obama doesn’t try to cover any of this up.

kanda on January 27, 2009 at 9:17 AM

olnation on January 26, 2009 at 10:51 PM

I dunno. If there were incontrovertible proof that Ayers/Dohrn had babysat the Obama kids, and a reporter had an opportunity to grill The One directly on it, it would cause more than a ripple in the news-o-sphere.

That being said, I have no idea if this is what Woodward is alluding to.

Buy Danish on January 27, 2009 at 9:35 AM

If it concerns Obama, it won’t go anywhere. Here are some different scenarios.
Illegal nanny…just a black man helping another minority…result, a hero
Not paying taxes…everybody does it, when you are a community organizer you make very little money, and you do try to keep what you can, much of the money goes to the community and he didn’t list that…result a hero.
Paid his mom and she didn’t pay taxes…I payed her because I didn’t want her to feel she was a “slave”, she was just a grandma doing her duty, and I was giving her dignity…result a hero.
“Do’in” the nanny…the ultimate male stud hero…
Nothing, absolutely nothing found out about Obama will produce anything but a hero.

right2bright on January 27, 2009 at 9:48 AM

highhopes on January 26, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Well, Bill Gates looks pretty honest to me. He was a great choice.

Red State State of Mind on January 26, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Gates is a Bush appointee that carried over. Had Barry picked a new one, doubtless there would be dirt.

Vashta.Nerada on January 27, 2009 at 10:18 AM

I think it depends much more on which party the gossipee belongs to.

Vashta.Nerada on January 27, 2009 at 10:19 AM

BuckeyeSam on January 26, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Buckeye, This has been bugging me for some time. This is something like over a third of a million dollars worth of tax evasion. It is a travesty that he got away with it.

One law for me… another for thee.

I just called our democrap senators office about Geithner. The b*tch said “I have to end this call” to which I replied “Goodbye Komrade”… Guess I’m further up ‘the list’ now.

bullseye on January 27, 2009 at 10:44 AM

RightWinged on January 26, 2009 at 8:32 PM

Never give up: http://www.ResistNet.com

Let’s roll.

ex-Democrat on January 27, 2009 at 11:26 AM

No story here… move on… nothing to see… move on…

Just distractions for the Messiah, he has more imprtant things to do like heal the world, stop glabal everything and ruin America.

More on, please…

Mark Garnett on January 27, 2009 at 11:49 AM

“But the media never investigated the reasons that Obama’s seller knocked nearly 20% of the asking price in a very desirable neighborhood. It just doesn’t compute.”

“very desirable neighborhood”

Go 4 blocks north or south and you’ll get your brains blown out.

LtE126 on January 27, 2009 at 12:20 PM

“btw: rumor has it Interpol has supplied a copy of Barry Soetoro’s passport from the early 80s to some–gasp–bloggers. Being authenticated now. Not a citizen proof? Cue Civil War 2.

Let’s roll.

ex-Democrat on January 27, 2009 at 11:26 AM”

OK. More info, please.