Obama to GOP leaders: Stop listening to Rush Limbaugh; Update: Rush responds

posted at 1:40 pm on January 24, 2009 by Allahpundit

Haven’t they already?

President Obama warned Republicans on Capitol Hill today that they need to quit listening to radio king Rush Limbaugh if they want to get along with Democrats and the new administration.

“You can’t just listen to Rush Limbaugh and get things done,” he told top GOP leaders, whom he had invited to the White House to discuss his nearly $1 trillion stimulus package.

One White House official confirmed the comment but said he was simply trying to make a larger point about bipartisan efforts.

Smart points in response from Tom Maguire, especially number three. If, contra his campaign rhetoric, The One really does plan on bringing back Fairness, he just made his task of selling it to the public as a nonpartisan measure not aimed squarely at conservative talk radio a lot harder. Exit question: What’s his game here? Obama’s a shrewd guy; he must have known a comment like that would leak and that Limbaugh would have a field day with it. Maybe he’s trying to buy himself cover with the left by antagonizing Rush into a blood feud? Progressives will be less likely to grumble about his tack to the center if their archenemy is on the air every day accusing him of being the Marxist antichrist. Or, doubly Machiavellian, maybe he’s trying to bolster Rush’s influence so that he’ll drag the GOP back to the right, leaving the center to Obama and the Dems. Maybe? All theories welcome! The more sinister, the better.

Update: Limbaugh fires back, via Byron York:

To make the argument about me instead of his plan makes sense from his perspective. Obama’s plan would buy votes for the Democrat Party, in the same way FDR’s New Deal established majority power for 50 years of Democrat rule, and it would also simultaneously seriously damage any hope of future tax cuts. It would allow a majority of American voters to guarantee no taxes for themselves going forward. It would burden the private sector and put the public sector in permanent and firm control of the economy. Put simply, I believe his stimulus is aimed at re-establishing “eternal” power for the Democrat Party rather than stimulating the economy because anyone with a brain knows this is NOT how you stimulate the economy. If I can be made to serve as a distraction, then there is that much less time debating the merits of this TRILLION dollar debacle.

Follow the link and note well the conclusion.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 7 8 9

And to imagine that the majority of this country put this insecure socialist in office as the “Commander-in-Chief” and he is stooping down to a radio talk show hosts level, so I guess we can call Bama “rabbit ears” because they are so damn big and ugly anyway.

HAGGS99 on January 26, 2009 at 10:35 AM

YOU ALL HAVE TO HEAR THIS: FRiggin hilarious. I emailed it to Rush.

bucsox79 on January 26, 2009 at 10:39 AM

The Post article has an amazing 4051 comments posted and counting. I liked the one by Marxist Messiah

You give him too much credit. He is on a power trip abetted by compliant press. For instance, no press converage on the second swearing in, no press coverage on birth control rules. Normally the press demands and expects, rightly or wrongly, to be the documentors of all ‘public acts’ of law. They rolled over when Obama whistled

Obama got away with murder during his campaign thanks to a compliant press that rose up against anyone who challenge Obama’s credentials (lack therof). The diversions away from Obama’s hard stand on the born alive babies, terrorist buddies, and anti american church was the gold standard for compliancy

Obama had a layer of protection not afforded to JFK who took a major public examination of his catholicism. While the JFK loving press exonerated JFK on all such items mainly by building him up as a war hero they did not avoid listing in detail the problems with his credentials I well remember

Nope, OB is not a clever man, and he was suckered into complacency by the apparent unlimited powers of a compliant press. He was really blackmailing those pols that his press dogs were more powerful than the Rush dog. Stupidly he made it a public expression and the threat became a threat to citizen’s right to free speech

By this I know there is a God

entagor on January 26, 2009 at 10:45 AM

This point may have been made numerous times (Sorry, haven’t read all 785 posts), but here’s my take: Rush was NOT being listened to by Congressional Republicans or by the RNC. It was obvious to everyone else that Rush as far as national Republican politicians were concerned, he was irrelevant. Obama may have just awakened the sleeping giant.

NoFanofLibs on January 26, 2009 at 10:48 AM

I was digging my dusty memory banks for the lyrics to one of the worst songs which fit what may turn out to be one of the worst players to occupy the White House

MacArthur Park

“Someone left the cake
Out in the rain
I don’t think that I can take it
‘Cause it took so long
To bake it
And I’ll never have that
recipe again — oh no!”

entagor on January 26, 2009 at 10:52 AM

sorry, left out the best part

MacArthur Park

MacArthur’s Park is melting in the dark
All the sweet, green icing flowing down…
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don’t think that I can take it
’cause it took so long to bake it
And I’ll never have that recipe again
Oh, no!
Oh, no
No, no
Oh NO!!

entagor on January 26, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Rush hath dare scorn the appointed one!

ErinF on January 26, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Obama may have just awakened the sleeping giant.

Truer words could not have been said. Let’s hope the giant is in the mood to stomp! And let’s hope the sleeping republicans out there wake up.

ErinF on January 26, 2009 at 10:59 AM

When the stupid, moronic, idiot RINO’s want to finaly WIN again they will START LISTENING TO RUSH, MARK LEVIN and other hard core, real Conservatives…

Until then, have fun with the Messiah!

Stupid people do not deserve real heros and Conservatives.

No compromise, VOTE AGAINST all the traitors to America.

Mark Garnett on January 26, 2009 at 11:09 AM

If you stand by Rush you will get nothing from me

Amazing

Normal political poker:

I need A from you
You need B from me
I have C cards
You have D cards
C cards versus D cards results in E payout

Obama poker:

I need A
You need B
I have MSM cards
You do not have Rush cards but your voters collect them
MSM cards mean I get A for now

unless you take Rush out of the deck in which case I get A and you may get some A if you kiss my A

the joker McCain and his dogs will get A and MSM for prior kissing

entagor on January 26, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Looking forward to hearing RUSH today,..13 minutes and counting,….

BTW,..after the suck-up of Fox News to the Barry team,.. I might give them another go,…

christene on January 26, 2009 at 11:44 AM

This is the debate I want to catch.

JohnJ on January 26, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Obama is going to be the biggest failure since President James Buchanan.

Cr4sh Dummy on January 26, 2009 at 6:51 PM

entagor on January 26, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Funny because it’s on target.

I have a mental image of the Dems with the media singing backup wailing out MacArthur Park.

(which I never liked either).

INC on January 26, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Bradky on January 26, 2009 at 6:40 AM

what talking points? no peeking. you know you are fos.

Jamson64 on January 26, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Let’s hope the MSM tools get a little peeved at Barry now,…first interview goes to an arab network!..lololol

All that butt kissing for nothing!!!

christene on January 26, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Hey Death to Media Hack, you probably will get your wish and your party will win in the next few election. I won’t be surprized if there will be no more elections. With BO opening the floodgates and the masses down there voting democratic, it will show that the USA will be a one party type nation similar to Brezhnev’s power. Who knows you guys will have eternal power until the Lord comes back. Yes, you maybe right and be winning on all fronts because also the media is in your hip pocket.

garydt on January 26, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Obama is going to be the biggest failure since President James Buchanan.

I was thinking more like William Henry Harrison. He only lasted a month.
Obama is already shaky and it has not been one week.

izoneguy on January 26, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Everyone knows the democrats and over 2/3 of the republicans
are so corrupt they are now openly OPENLY
doing all they can to bring in to the USA
every
Illegal
Drug dealing
tax cheating
Islamic terrorist
they can find and making them citizens
hoping by manip-ulating the numbers they can then
somehow do a power grab..

Do you know what this reminds me of?
The soviet union where they would either
Bribe
Pay off
bump off
Sleep with
anyone they could find if
If ..IF
it gave them an advantage over the other political parties and participans..

It didnt matter if the entire country died
AS long as they got to do the screwing..

america is desending into socialist chaos

jcila on January 26, 2009 at 8:58 PM

No, Obama IS a shrewd guy. He has studied the techniques of hypnotic speach patterns, and using buzz words and misdirective phrases to persuade people.

marklmail on January 26, 2009 at 9:21 AM

I’ve managed pretty well to avoid the hypnotic spell. He sounds to me like a guy trying really hard to pour on the faux-black-preacher thing. It probably works better with those afflicted with Liberal Guilt-Ridden White syndrome.

ddrintn on January 27, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Jamson64 on January 26, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Poor widdle fanboy. You seem to dream of the time when Rush will autograph his book for you and add a personalized note saying “thanks for fighting the good fight on the internet”.
Do you hang a picture of him in your house alongside that of Palin?

Bradky on January 27, 2009 at 5:20 AM

Poor widdle BRADKY you seem to dream that you will be able to slobber all over BO someday or his autograph don’t you? You can also set your picture of BO right up there with Che, Castro, Stalin, and Brezhnev. Also you can hang those pictures with Chris Mathews and the rest of the MSM.

garydt on January 27, 2009 at 11:27 AM