Obama to sign EO authorizing aid money for abortions today

posted at 12:20 pm on January 23, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday, on the anniversary of Roe v Wade, abortion supporters expected Obama to issue an executive order reversing the Mexico City policy imposed by George Bush prohibiting American aid dollars for international abortions.  Obama demurred, perhaps wishing to avoid the media scrutiny that would attend such a move on Roe’s anniversary.  Instead, Obama will quietly sign the new EO today, away from the media spotlight:

President Barack Obama will sign an executive order later Friday ending the ban on federal funds for international groups that promote or perform abortion, officials said.

It is a move certain to please liberals and other abortion-rights advocates, and the reversal was expected in the Democrat’s first week as president.

The so-called “Mexico City policy” has been reinstated and then reversed by Republican and Democratic presidents since Repulican President Ronald Reagan established it in 1984. President Bill Clinton then ended the ban, but President George W. Bush re-instituted it in 2001 as one of his first acts in office.

This isn’t exactly a Profile in Courage.  Actions get taken on Friday afternoons when people want the media to ignore it.  By noon, the broadcast networks have their evening news well planned, and Americans as a rule go out to socialize.  It’s not called the graveyard of news cycles for nothing.

It seems significant that the first such Friday afternoon news cycle of the Obama administration gets used for authorizing American tax dollars for abortions abroad.  We’re spending a trillion dollars that we don’t have now for an economic stimulus that will likely make the economy worse as we pull capital out of the markets.  With the federal budget deficit exploding to three times its previous size, thanks to the bailout, why should Americans pay for abortions overseas?

At least the shame Obama appears to show in signing this dreadful act can give pro-life activists a little hope.  Perhaps if Obama realizes that he has to bury this in a Friday-afternoon news cycle, the Freedom of Choice Act won’t get much attention later in this Congressional session.

Comments

Anyone have a reasonable argument for how this order will reduce the number of abortions anywhere? Let’s hear it; I’ve got an open mind on this.

Jaibones on January 23, 2009 at 5:06 PM

—Well, the Helms Amendment still prohibits foreign assistance funds from being used to pay for the performance of abortion as a method of family planning or to motivate or coerce any person to practice abortions

jim m on January 23, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Hey Ed, he would have signed this today regardless of the day of the week. He just didn’t want to sign it on the roe v wade anniversary. Elections have consequences.

sanjeevn on January 23, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Why are our tax dollars going to destroy innocent life and not terrorist lives?

Kini on January 23, 2009 at 6:08 PM

Clinton did the same thing.

It changes when the party loses power.

getalife on January 23, 2009 at 6:13 PM

This should make every Catholic who voted for B. Hussein Obama very proud.

I’m certain that my priest will have quite a few things to say about this on Sunday, and his words will give no comfort to the supporters of the abortionist-in-chief. NONE!

DannoJyd on January 23, 2009 at 6:21 PM

All those who want Obama to succeed, this is how he defines success. More dead babies funded by our tax dollars.

Disturb the Universe on January 23, 2009 at 6:33 PM

They’re preparing to make Soylent Green. People are completely disposable to Dems with power.

stonemeister on January 23, 2009 at 6:43 PM

That’s not the kind of jobs I want to see created with my tax money there Bommie.

johnnyU on January 23, 2009 at 7:01 PM

ckdexterhaven on January 23, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Just had to say, The Philadelphia Story is one of my all-time favorite classics. Nice screen name (more tasteful than mine — but the Boss has a new album WITH STRINGS, and I am sick of him.)

chunderroad on January 23, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Dems aborting their future potential voters. Hope and change.

eaglewingz08 on January 23, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Its a severe misuse of our American tax dollars. Does this guy do anything worth a damn? Oh wait, we can’t ask. We are to sit quietly while he runs off and signs these stupid things. I can’t believe how many people I work with who are praising this guy and crap like this. Its making me rethink my acquaintances.

johnnyU on January 23, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Its making me rethink my acquaintances.

johnnyU on January 23, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Ditto…

RalphyBoy on January 23, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Not one penny to kill the nations enemies (the terrorists) but millions to kill the innocent unborn babies. BHO 1/23/2009

This is a fundamental difference between real conservatives and Democrats. Now the democrats want to pay to export this murder of innocent children around the world.

Conservatives have values and one of them is to value the life of the unborn. No other none religious group does this. We are unique in the world.

As more and more courts see the murder of a mother and her unborn child as murder the day will come when we will get a court to outlaw abortion as murder. Until that day all we can do is pray for the soul of the innocent babies who never had the chance to be born.

kanda on January 23, 2009 at 7:19 PM

This is so wrong on so many levels.

Someone stated earlier that most of these abortions will be provided to women in Latin America. Many women in Latin America for the most part have deeply ingrained Catholic beliefs, especially when it comes to “family planning”. Generally the programs we are discussing in this thread are introduced into countries under the umbrella of the UN, promoting family planning (give away birth control) and they also offer abortion “services” Many if not most of these woman, are not going to use birth control. They may pay lip service and say they will, but they simply don’t. I personally have nothing against birth control and I believe that many if not most of these women would probably be better off if they did not have as many children. But what I believe does not translate to what they believe. They tend to believe that children are a gift from God, and their child’s lives are in His hands regardless of circumstances. So they keep having them.

These (UN) programs are intent on winning this particular cultural battle by vying for the hearts and minds of the people. Under desperate circumstances and readily available funding from us, I believe that abortions WILL become MUCH more prevelant in third world countries. The ultimate goal is to control the population of the (third) world, which I have come to view as pretty much an impossible task. Killing babies is NOT the answer, and I just don’t believe we whould be using American tax dollars for any of this, especially when it comes to abortion, which is clearly immoral.

small town girl on January 23, 2009 at 7:28 PM

small town girl on January 23, 2009 at 7:28 PM

It’s not killing babies. It’s killing fetuses and it’s a good thing. I just wish I had 30 billion human zygotes in a bucket and a bottle of bleach. Given pro-life rhetoric I’d be the biggest mass murderer in human history. Of course, in the real world, most people would just see performance art.

thuja on January 23, 2009 at 7:49 PM

thuja on January 23, 2009 at 7:49 PM
It’s not killing babies. It’s killing fetuses and it’s a good thing.

That was one of the sickest comments I’ve ever seen on HotAir.

Just 18 days after conception, the baby’s heart begins to beat. At six weeks, brain waves can be measured. At eight weeks the vital organs are functioning and fingerprints have formed. At nine weeks, the unborn baby is able to feel pain. God told Jeremiah:

Before I formed you in the womb I knew you. Before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations. Jeremiah 1:5

I know Who I believe and Who believes in me.

I pray for America. I pray for Mr. President.

kingsjester on January 23, 2009 at 8:27 PM

kingsjester on January 23, 2009 at 8:27 PM

How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones Against the rock. Psalms 137:9

thuja on January 23, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Thuja –
I will not engage with you any further. I know where I stand on the killing of innocents and I know where God stands on it. Your last scripture point was during a violent time in Biblical history before the New Covenant.
Satan and his demons can quote scripture. If you are just being controversial to elicit a response, it’s not cute, hip, or funny. If you truly believe what you are writing, you are a sick puppy.

kingsjester on January 23, 2009 at 8:53 PM

kingsjester on January 23, 2009 at 8:53 PM

How do your interpretation isn’t the Satanic one? And anyway your argument would dismiss more of the Bible (Old Testament) than Christians have been willing to do. In fact, many Christians quote parts of the Torah that have been explicitly rejected in their New Testament; for example, calling homosexuality an “abomination”.

And anyway as a Jew I’m not so keen on the idea of trivializing the Bible (which you call Old Testament) as the product of a “violent time”.

thuja on January 23, 2009 at 9:10 PM

thuja on January 23, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I am not and never would trivialize the Bible. Why are you trivializing life?

kingsjester on January 23, 2009 at 9:24 PM

thuja on January 23, 2009 at 7:49 PM

I doubt even women who have had an abortion would be so flip about such an act. Even when I approved of abortions, I always thought they were to be a last, desperate resort. Safe and rare, right?

I don’t consider you a potential mass-murderer, but rather, a very crass, troubled individual.

Anna on January 23, 2009 at 9:38 PM

I find it interesting that black people vote democRAT in such numbers…and the democrats are the main backers of planned parenthood, whose founder, margaret sanger, was very clear about her racist and eugenicist goals of getting rid of the ‘undesirable’ people of color…

“We should hire three or four colored ministers, preferably with social-service backgrounds, and with engaging personalities. The most successful educational approach to the Negro is through a religious appeal. We don’t want the word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population. and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members.”
Margaret Sanger’s December 19, 1939 letter to Dr. Clarence Gamble, 255 Adams Street, Milton, Massachusetts. Original source: Sophia Smith Collection, Smith College, North Hampton, Massachusetts. Also described in Linda Gordon’s Woman’s Body, Woman’s Right: A Social History of Birth Control in America. New York: Grossman Publishers, 1976.

I’m a big believer in getting the results of what you do, and vote for…but this is just crazy…

right4life on January 23, 2009 at 9:47 PM

really? post your proof. but you can’t now, can you?

right4life on January 23, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Why are we spending anything for abortions abroad? Whether you’re pro-life or pro-abortion, we just don’t have the money. I think this is what MM was talking about when she said we need to find common ground. Stop the madness!

jim m on January 23, 2009 at 1:01 PM

This is an example of a total lack of judgement on the part of Obama.

tartan on January 23, 2009 at 10:06 PM

This is fiscal responsibilty! This program is just 48 years to late!

time2taketheglovesoffGOP on January 23, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Thanks to the many fake Catholics and Christians voting for this ignoramus.

jencab on January 23, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Yep.

Funny story. On Wednesday, I arrived at my hotel in Alexandria, VA and got on the METRO to DC. I started up a conversation with a woman before the train started out. Turns out, she was a woman I worked with back in 1999 in Laredo, TX / Nuevo Laredo, MX on an IT project.

We started talking and it turned out she worked for Nancy Pelosi for awhile. I told her I was going to the March for Life and would be with the TeamSarah people. We started to talk about the campaign. She didn’t like Sarah, but I told her she didn’t like the image that the media portrayed of Sarah. She said that McCain should have picked Collins of Maine, and I replied that Collins is pro-abortion.

We then talked for quite awhile with the train moving, and I found out she was still single and never-married and had a boyfriend who of course she had sex with for 10 years and he never proposed (big surprised).

When we were done, I felt totally sorry for her. In just one 20 minute conversation I learned she was sad, secular, miserable, single, lonely (she wanted to see me that night, but I explained I was going to the 7:00pm Mass at the cathedral at CUA), unemployed, pushing 50, no kids, no God in her life or religion, totally focused on her self.

How do you begin to help someone like that?

I’d bet $10,000 she had had at least one abortion, and probably had not ever gotten over emotionally or spiritually over it.

I thought of Project Rachel for women who suffer from the guilt of abortion and regret their decision.

From there my spirits went up as I say so many pro-lifers marching.

I even saw a funny sign with a baby that looked like Bart Simpson curled up with the words “Don’t mess with me, man.”

This is such a long fight, but I remembered that in 2,000 years the Church will still be here even if the USA is not.

It made me respect those early Christians (and those today) who practiced their Faith before the Bible was around during the early times where they persecuted everywhere and worshipped secretly.

Will that happen to Christians in the USA under the boot of secularism or Islam?

Sapwolf on January 23, 2009 at 11:12 PM

At the Rose Dinner at the March for Life, there was a black minister who ended the dinner with a short speech and prayer.

He said that the birth rate per mother in the African American demographic was a paltry .99 children. My eyes watered knowing that black Americans will continue to decrease in number with a rate that is half the rate needed to simply stay stable (2.1).

Obama will do more to destroy black Americans than any other POTUS in history by simply letting the slaughter of babies continue till by say 2100 we have virtually few blacks left in the country. This by a black man.

Watching all the blacks look up to the man who do more to ensure they stop multiplying was like watching Thulsa Doom in the Conan movie as people willingly threw their lives away for their kool-aid messiah.

Unbelievable. MLK is rolling in his grave. Or, he’s crying.

Sapwolf on January 23, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Sapwolf on January 23, 2009 at 11:12 PM

My pastor is taking this very seriously. He has spoken several times in the last week about our nation’s future.

INC on January 23, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Yeah, there’s an idea. Let’s export death!

SheofTwoMinds on January 24, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Now i got it..
Obama to stimulate the economy is telling all these young women to go out and get pregnant
a. he sells more condoms to males
b. he sells more of the pills to females
c. if they get pregnant then the abortion is provied by the feds.

he is therefore spending 850 billions dollars to
employ more illegal mexicans in the condom plants

more asians in the birth control producton plants in the phillipines
and then more money to employ abortion doctors and nurses.

Talk about a culture of death..

Something that dr mengle would be proud of..

jcila on January 24, 2009 at 12:21 AM

I don’t know if it’s been said yet, but with the internet it’s impossible to bury a story.

– The Cat

P.S. Add that to the fact that we have people like Michelle, MKH, etc all over the cable channels.

MirCat on January 24, 2009 at 2:31 AM

“…it’s above my…uh…it’s above my pay grade.”

Obviously not above our pay (taxes).

I can only laugh now. It can’t be rationalized. Congratulations Democrats. This is your historic candidate.

Black Adam on January 24, 2009 at 4:07 AM

I wonder how many blacks around the world will have their lives terminated due to this action. Not only should the stupid Catholics and Christians who voted for this man be castigated but blacks themselves.

Jamson64 on January 24, 2009 at 11:03 AM

History abounds with examples of the injustice and cruelty of religious groups. Too long have they been allowed to spread their poisonous “doctrines” of hate and intolerance. President Obama’s Executive Order is a historic break with government’s pandering to such groups. This is the change we hoped for.

This is a good first step in the right direction. But it is only a start. Religious zealots have been dictating morality to us all for far too long. In an age faced by the crisis of overpopulation, only the irrational and deluded could argue that freely-available abortion is anything other than good, sound public policy. What is good for society is moral.

I hope that everyone who agrees with me will write their legislators and urge them to expand on this policy. Next to the threat of global warming, overpopulation is the greatest threat facing our planet. In fact, it can be argued that overpopulation is *the* greatest threat; less people would produce less greenhouse gases and leave space on the planet for other species that are threatenened with extinction because of human excess.

There are many, many unfortunate people in America who have miserable lives and no good options. Obviously, in a time of financial crisis, it makes no sense to expend scarce funds on prolonging their existence. And I say “existence” because no one with any feeling could seriously contend that that such unhappy and hopeless things are truly alive. Humane termination of these unwanted unpeople would save lives by allowing for efficient organ harvesting and would advance scientific research that has been for too long been stalled by the forces of religious bigotry.

Remember, *you* can make a difference – write your legislators and urge them to support for these programs of hope and change.

Venusian Visitor on January 24, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Venusian is trying to be sarcastic.

I have always thought that if you think there are too many people you can leave…NO ONE is stopping you. The reality of our situation is NOT the number of people but the use of resources. Why is there a high quality of life in Hong Kong where it is densley populated and in parts of Africa and Asia the quality is low when the populations are small?

Jamson64 on January 24, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Jamson64 on January 24, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Obviously, you’ve never heard the term “carbon footprint” The surplus unpeople are still affecting the environment with toxic emissions no matter where you move them. This kind of irrationality is a perfect example of religious superstition does to a person’s ability to reason.

Venusian Visitor on January 24, 2009 at 1:06 PM

…of religious superstition does…

… of what religious superstition does…

Venusian Visitor on January 24, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Venusian …gotcha.

I wonder what kind of carbon footprint was planted when the ONE was crowned?

Jamson64 on January 24, 2009 at 1:16 PM

A great big one.

The terrifying thing is that all moderate conservative web forums are infested with “ringers” who work assiduously to change our perception of normality ever leftward. They dominate the forums and control the conversation.

The moderate options having been sabotaged, the outraged among us will be driven into the arms of extremists on the other side, with predictable result.

Fasten you seat belts….

Venusian Visitor on January 24, 2009 at 1:42 PM

These Foreign countries Obama is funding do not have the protections that the US has.

Millions will be killed with our tax dollars. Not terrorists, not murderous dictators and their armies, not capital criminals, but INNOCENT UNBORN CHILDREN. They will be burned alive with chemicals, their arms and legs will be torn off, their skulls crushed and their remains used for medical experiments (or maybe furniture).

This is one of the most depraved acts in human history.

jay12 on January 24, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Do all the March for lifers kept on walking to mandate (read: mandate) health insurance for every kid in America?

mycowardice on January 24, 2009 at 2:37 PM

There’s a lot buried in the article from the London Telegraph that has the headline, Barack Obama picks a fight with Rush Limbaugh as bipartisan spirit crumbles

I found the article searching for Rush Limbaugh, but within it I read this:

Mr Obama has pledged to end the culture wars on social issues that have riven American politics for a generation and did not allow television cameras to film him signing the executive order reversing the Bush abortion funding ban on aid agencies abroad, in order not to provoke pro-life groups.

When he finally did sign the order he issued a statement in a bid to placate abortion critics by promising to “reach out to those on all sides of this issue to achieve the goal of reducing unintended pregnancies.” He added: “It is time that we end the politicisation of this issue.”

But despite his efforts, the reaction was brutal. Family groups accused him of plotting the “infanticide” of African children. Former presidential candidate Gary Bauer, president of the American Values pressure group, said: “It is both sad and infuriating that in the same week President Obama extended new rights to prisoners at Guantanamo Bay and began planning to release men whom we know have murdered Americans, he is preparing to sentence innocent children to death through abortion.”

Meanwhile the decision by the Food and Drug Administration to approve the first human trials of embryonic stem cells, anathema to the Christian right, has intensified the bubbling culture war.

Republicans are also angry that the economic stimulus plan contains funding for contraceptives and other Democratic pet projects that might take years to have any effect on the downturn. The moderate conservative columnist David Brooks, who dined recently with Mr Obama, wrote: “The bill is an unholy marriage that manages to combine the worst of each approach – rushed short-term planning with expensive long-term fiscal impact.”

I did not know the FDA is moving ahead with ESC trials. ESC research has not even had any good results, while other types of stem cells have had many.

More depravity, more blood on O’s hands as he purposefully moves ahead with slaughtering the innocent.

INC on January 24, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Last year I read an article by Jay P. Lefkowitz titled,
Stem Cells and the President—An Inside Account Unfortunately, it is no longer available in full without a subscription. However, I did find a blog that picked up the section I remembered:

A few days later, I brought into the Oval Office my copy of Brave New World, Aldous Huxley’s 1932 anti-utopian novel, and as I read passages aloud imagining a future in which humans would be bred in hatcheries, a chill came over the room. “We’re tinkering with the boundaries of life here,” Bush said when I finished. “We’re on the edge of a cliff. And if we take a step off the cliff, there’s no going back. Perhaps we should only take one step at a time.”

Obama is going over the cliff.

INC on January 24, 2009 at 2:48 PM

My Black president kills babies with his pen. /bumper sticker

RalphyBoy on January 24, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Unborn child… “Obama is not my President.” /bumper sticker

RalphyBoy on January 24, 2009 at 4:03 PM

mycowardice on January 24, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Can you write a coherent sentence?

Jamson64 on January 24, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Obama… “Keeping America safe from unwanted infants.” /bumper sticker

RalphyBoy on January 24, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Can you write a coherent sentence?

Jamson64 on January 24, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Sorry — Did all the “March for lifers” keep on walking to request mandated health insurance for every kid in America?

mycowardice on January 24, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Fetus to Obama…”You first Mr President.” /bumper sticker

RalphyBoy on January 24, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Obama… “Keeping America safe from unwanted unplanned infants.” /bumper sticker

RalphyBoy on January 24, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Obama… “Hitler would be so proud.” /bumper sticker

RalphyBoy on January 24, 2009 at 4:14 PM

mycowardice on January 24, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Your logic is lacking. So if you are against murder you must pay for the intended victim’s health insurance?

Gotcha.

Jamson64 on January 24, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Gotcha.

Jamson64 on January 24, 2009 at 4:27 PM

If you care about the baby living, you care about what happens before she is born and after she is born.

mycowardice on January 24, 2009 at 4:33 PM

March for Life 2009:

March for Life chief organizer Nellie Gray told LifeSiteNews the crowd definitely appeared larger than normal this year. She said there were “definitely over 200,000” participants and noted that one television station reported that there were 300,000 participants in the march. Gray also said the march normally takes about one and a half hours to pass one point, but this year it took over two and a half hours, indicating a large increase in numbers.

Asked what she attributed the massive attendance Gray responded, “I don’t think there is any doubt that it was in reaction to the election and as they started to see the issues in the news they felt compelled to come out.”

Senators, congressmen, pro-life leaders and members of various religious traditions addressed the crowd before the march began. The religious leaders included Rabbi Yehuda Levin, Metropolitan Jonah of the Orthodox Church of America, Cardinals Justin Rigali and Sean O’Malley and numerous Catholic bishops.

Luke Robinson, an African-American pastor from Maryland, stirred the crowd with a passionate speech calling on Obama to end the “slaughter of the innocent preborn,” especially blacks, who suffer 34% of abortions in comparison to their 12% representation in the population (see LifeSiteNews coverage at http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2009/jan/09012311.html).

INC on January 24, 2009 at 5:17 PM

BREITBART

It is “the arrogance of someone who believes they are right, in signing a decree which will open the door to abortion and thus to the destruction of human life,” Archbishop Rino Fisichella was quoted as saying by the Corriere della Sera daily.

Senior Vatican Official Fisichella is president of the Pontifical Academy for Life, a pontifical academy formed by or under the direction of the Holy See.

“What is important is to know how to listen… without locking oneself into ideological visions with the arrogance of a person who, having the power, thinks they can decide on life and death.”

A senior Vatican official on Saturday attacked US President Barack Obama for “arrogance” for overturning a ban on state funding for family-planning groups that carry out or facilitate abortions overseas.

The “global gag rule” cut off US funding to overseas family planning clinics which provide any abortion services whatsoever, from the operation itself to counseling, referrals or post-abortion services.

Overturning a ban on state funding for family-planning groups that carry out or facilitate abortions overseas,
Obama signed the executive order canceling the eight-year-old restrictions on Friday, the third full day of his presidency.

How long did it take any single former president or else a sequential accumulation of presidents to dictate as many executive orders as Obama assumes to issue?

THE QUESTION: WHO IS WRITING THE EXECUTIVE ORDERS FOR OBAMA?

Hear no evil. Speak no evil. See no evil.

maverick muse on January 24, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Two words: seething resentment.

At the murder of generations of unborn.

At the arrogance of race hustlers who favor more and more race-based penalties on those who are not black, including outrageous claims to reparations, and succeed because they can summon up the racial tension they have created to produce rioting on demand.

At the patent unfairness of making one generation pay for the crimes of another – forbidden in the U.S. Constitution as “corruption of the blood” – simply because of the color of their skin. And this in an age of black presidents, multimillionares, and celebrities.

At our betrayal by the politicians who see the injustice but sold us out because it was in their own self-interest to do so.

At the media moguls who are actively working to create a socialist and atheist America by intentionally distorting reality.

At homosexuals for whom tolerance is not enough, and atheists who will not rest until our religion and culture is destroyed and replaced by one of their own choosing.

At the people who remain silent at the injustices that may not be names under the law of “political correctness” because they are afraid of marginilization, castigation, loss of employment, or bodily harm.

Folks, we live in a tyranny where morality is thoughtcrime and even the pretense of justice has been abandoned. For God’s sake, speak up and say so. The emperor is naked!

/rant mode OFF

Venusian Visitor on January 24, 2009 at 5:42 PM

maverick muse on January 24, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Clinton!

From Jill Stanek:

Bill Clinton’s Abortion Legacy

January 22, 1993:

President’s Clinton’s 3rd day in office

Reversed years of pro-life progress by issuing five executive orders in one day:

1. Reversed Title 10 regulations banning abortion referral by federal employees

2. Repealed Mexico City Policy restricting federal funding of international organizations that work to reverse countries’ abortion laws

3. Negated ban on funding for fetal tissue transplants

4. Ordered military hospitals to commit abortions

5. Overturned RU-486 ban and ordered FDA to review ways to license and manufacture it.

This was before the days of everyone spreading news on the web. I do not remember how quickly this filtered through the media to the country. Prolife leaders were probably aware of this, but it might have taken a while to get the word out.

INC on January 24, 2009 at 5:51 PM

I just went off on the phone at an old friend who voted for Obama (I was his best man). It sorta went like this…

“So you guys put hope and change in office, and the first thing he does is lighten up on the worst of the terrorists, and the second thing is to increase the baby killing. Shame on you…” 5 minutes later when I took a breath he was still just dead air on the phone… “So why did you call?”
His reason, the family is out of town and he’s lonely. Wanted to complain about a mutual friend who was bragging about some business deal… Blaa, bla.

And now I know my starting point as one of the Loyal Opposition… To hammer every friend of mine that voted for this monster until they get it, or walk away. They are no longer worth my time if they agree with this scumbag in chief. I can still be civil when needed, but don’t call me for company or a shoulder to whine on… cause that’s over.

My daughter gets it, my sister gets it, my brother, and at least one of my friends does… That’s a good base to work from. I’ll figure out more to do later, but for now, consider me on active duty.

I ended the conversation by telling him to pay attention to what Obama is doing so far as Israel and Gaza go… He’s Jewish. Also, to watch for more stuff about the coming “white folk need not apply” policies. I’m sure he’s white or worse to this administration. If this gains a few vote in 2012, great. If it costs me a few friends… I‘ll be better for the loss.

RalphyBoy on January 24, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Gee my last post sounds like I’m taking Obama’s strategy and using it against him… Remember, talk to them, argue with them, get in their faces? Oh yeah!

RalphyBoy on January 24, 2009 at 8:03 PM

If it costs me a few friends… I‘ll be better for the loss.

RalphyBoy on January 24, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Amen.

I’m still trying to figure out how the Boston Tea Party might translate, but ranting to anyone who will listen is definitely a start. As a rule, we conservatives are far too polite, and frankly we do need to use the liberals’ strategy against them. It isn’t enough to come to a relatively conservative website and moan and complain to generally like minded people.

I’m making a T shirt to wear to the parking lot at my kids’ school and plan on standing in front of every liberal “Catholic” mom who voted for this monster. It is going to have 50,000,000 dead and counting on the top. Then Mexico City Policy, Embryonic Stem Cell Research, FOCA listed with boxes next to them in which I will place a check mark as Obama repeals/signs them. Then, at the bottom it will say, There was NO proportionate reason! Not sure how it will all fit, so something might end up on the back. I’ll stand in the parking lot and rotate. It isn’t much, but I have to start some place.

pannw on January 24, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Here in about a half a year, we’ll be able to make the argument that Obama caused more deaths than Bush did.

Isn’t it funny how Jeremiah Wright and all the other black racists in the country claim that aids was invented by the government to kills blacks? Wouldn’t it be more logical for them to claim that the Democrats invented abortions to kill kills blacks instead? Even more ironic is that “our first black president” is on the path to becoming a defender of a killer of the black community?

leetpriest on January 24, 2009 at 9:45 PM

[R]anting to anyone who will listen is definitely a start. As a rule, we conservatives are far too polite, and frankly we do need to use the liberals’ strategy against them. It isn’t enough to come to a relatively conservative website and moan and complain to generally like minded people.
pannw on January 24, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Bingo. People are afraid to talk except in whispers to people they trust. We need to shout the truth, the defiance, the outrage. That’s the way to destroy the code of political correctness that silences all opposition and makes us tolerate the intolerable.

Too much has been taken away already. It’s all on the line now. The politicians will not help us, we have to help ourselves. If we remain silent and intimidated, we deserve to lose the rest of our freedom.

Venusian Visitor on January 24, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Speaking of RU-486 Have you ever wondered about the ironic name it has?

R U 4 86 = Are You For Killing

86 means to kill story in the old telegraph days.

Dasher on January 25, 2009 at 1:14 AM

I wonder if they are hosting a celebration in the White House over the fact that now even more babies will be slaughtered on a daily basis world wide because of President Obama! Well done, sir!

sabbott on January 25, 2009 at 8:31 AM

‘The’ church has some stern words this morning. Congress…get ready for an ambush of correspondence!

johnnyU on January 25, 2009 at 10:01 AM

mycowardice on January 24, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Read up buddy- Conservatives give more time and money to charity than the left. Prolifers help support these kids in many ways. You KNOW NOTHING. I really tire of simpletons.

Jamson64 on January 25, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Jamson64 on January 25, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Conservatives are the first to stand in the way of mandated health insurance for kids.

Anyways, if Obama delivers on health insurance, we will see how many Republicans will stand in the way of mandated health insurance for kids.

mycowardice on January 25, 2009 at 1:37 PM

mycowardice on January 25, 2009 at 1:37 PM

You’re slanting the facts. This is from CNS News:

The bill would officially establish an income cap of 300 percent above the federal poverty line — or $61,950 per year for a family of four. However, the bill allows for states to pay SCHIP benefits at incomes higher than 300 percent above poverty if they have sate laws or plans in place to cover kids above the 300 percent mark by the time the bill is signed…

The bill also allows states to receive SCHIP funds if they expand the scope of their Medicaid coverage, something they can do on their own. If states choose to expand Medicaid coverage, they can cover children whose families make more than 300 percent of the poverty rate…

Currently, nine states have expanded their Medicaid eligibility above 300 percent of the poverty level.

The bill also allows for immigrants, both legal and illegal, to access SCHIP funds, although illegal immigrants may only do so for 90 days.

The bill removes previous requirements, currently required under Medicaid, that mandate new enrollees provide photo identification and documentation proving citizenship, such as a green card or passport, when applying for SCHIP…

However, a Social Security number is the only proof of citizenship required under SCHIP and new enrollees are no longer required to offer proof of identification when enrolling. This provision would allow someone who has stolen a Social Security number to receive CHIP funds, so long as the theft is not discovered by the Social Security Administration – the agency responsible for tracking and issuing Social Security numbers.

The bill would also cover some parents of poor children as well as some single adults.

INC on January 25, 2009 at 2:23 PM

The link won’t transfer–it must have a code preventing it, but just do a search for the title:

Illegal Immigrants and Families Making $61K Could Qualify for Federal Help Under SCHIP

Friday, January 16, 2009

By Matt Cover

INC on January 25, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Obamonster… Soft on Terrorists… Tough on the Innocent Fetus. /bumper sticker

RalphyBoy on January 25, 2009 at 7:26 PM

mycowardice on January 25, 2009 at 1:37 PM

the stupidity continues. It is not the job of the government to forcefully take money from others to buy insurance for other people’s kids. You again still avoided my point. The pro-lifers put their money and time into helping kids. Funny how you just skip over that. How typical.

Jamson64 on January 25, 2009 at 8:08 PM

My Coward interesting you are so ignorant of the fact that social spending swelled under Bush but you are so blinded by your goals you cannot see straight.

Jamson64 on January 25, 2009 at 8:10 PM

New website I found through links at a Christian site I frequent:

Moral Accountability

Moral Accountability: An Open Letter

This is an excerpt:

The Moral Accountability Project trusts that those self-identified pro-life and pro-marriage Catholics and Evangelicals who helped to put Barack Obama into a position to accomplish his goals were sincere in their admiration for him. We are willing to believe that they genuinely hope that he will go back on his pledges to attack pro-life laws and repeal pro-marriage policies. Still, actions have consequences, and the actions of these intellectuals and activists will have consequences that are all too easy to predict. With each assault of the Obama administration on laws and policies upholding the sanctity of human life and the dignity of marriage, we will ask all Catholics and Evangelicals, including those who supported Obama, to join us in resisting these assaults. That is what we will do at http://www.moralaccountability.com.

Our project is offered in a constructive spirit, not one of vilification. Our goal is to help ensure that never again will good intentions conspire with shoddy reasoning and wishful thinking to compromise the rights of the weakest and most vulnerable members of our community and to undermine the institution of marriage. And so in a sincere spirit of friendship, we invite those Catholics and Evangelicals who joined with Planned Parenthood, the National Abortion Rights Action League, and similar organizations in supporting Obama to join us now in repelling the attacks that will be launched against life and marriage in this administration.

It is signed by:

Gregory Sisk, University of St. Thomas School of Law
James Stoner, Louisiana State University
Christopher Tollefsen, University of South Carolina
Micah Watson, Union University
John Wauck, University of the Holy Cross

INC on January 25, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Robert P. George of Princeton appears to be the main contributor at the moment.

INC on January 25, 2009 at 9:08 PM

I went to the Rally for Life today in Nashville and the Country music duo, Bluefield, played the most beautiful pro-life song. I just want to plug them. Was it Plato that said if you want to change hearts and minds, go into the arts? Anyway, they were wonderful. You can listen to it here. Click on the song Butterfly. http://www.myspace.com/bluefieldband

I absolutely sobbed and the tears got really cold on my face. It was freezing! But worth it.

pannw on January 25, 2009 at 11:40 PM

pannw on January 25, 2009 at 11:40 PM

I have heard that song. It is absolutely beautiful. How marvelous that you got to hear them sing in person.

This song was spurred into creation after a show in CO and a visit with my old college roommate who painfully shared her remorse and daily sorrow from a hasteful decision she made years ago. We were so heavy-hearted from her testimony that within a few weeks we created Butterfly as a message of hope and healing….

INC on January 26, 2009 at 12:09 AM

She took the test and failed it, we blamed each other for awhile,
all our big plans had no little ones in ’em. We just weren’t ready for a child.
So we set the alarm for seven. There’s a place right down the street,
it was a night like any other night, but when I fell asleep.

Chorus:
I saw his face he had my eyes,
I swear he had your smile,
chasen a butterfly,
he laughed and skipped and caught it
softly placed it in my hands
he said please don’t kill the butterfly.

Well I woke up kinda shaken, tried not to wake her from her sleep.
And then she quietly whispered, I just had this dream.

Chorus:
I saw his face he had my eyes,
I swear he had your smile,
chasen a butterfly,
he laughed and skipped and caught it
softly placed it in my hands
he said please don’t kill the butterfly.

The alarm went off at seven, but we laid in bed till noon, and she and I, spent the rest of the day,
painting butterflies in his room.

Chorus:
I saw his face he had my eyes,
I swear he had your smile,
chasen a butterfly,
he laughed and skipped and caught it
softly placed it in my hands
he said please don’t kill the butterfly.

INC on January 26, 2009 at 12:17 AM

<strong Let me get this straight.”He” reverses the “Mexico City Policy” and approves international abortion aid around the world, and at the same time there is hundreds of millions of US dollars proposed in the new spending bill for contraceptives, which the Socialist call stimulus.So I guess you can now call it the “Pelosi Scumbag Bill” seeing that she was on the tube defending it with a straight face.

HAGGS99 on January 26, 2009 at 9:16 AM

pannw on January 25, 2009 at 11:40 PM

Yes, and they were amazing. It was just the two of them, their voices, and their guitars, out in the open air on a cold day. That is when you know someone is talented. No mixing equipment, etc… Talking to them afterward, they were so humble and just lovely, dedicated to defending life. I thanked them and said I thought they were really brave to stand up, considering how the entertainment industry is and Jennifer Hicks said they just had to. She also, with great humility, said they figured it would be about half and half, with as many supporting them as not. (That seemed to me a sort of self-denial of her bravery) She said they’d had about the same amount of supportive mail as hate mail. After listening to that song, how could anyone send hate mail? People are so lost.

Anyway, they were fabulous and I pray they have loads of success.

pannw on January 26, 2009 at 10:01 AM

pannw,

Thanks for sharing that. They sound like wonderful people. May God bless them and grant them success.

INC on January 26, 2009 at 6:52 PM